Hold Back the Night. Chapter 4.

User avatar
Myth and Jest
Dimension Master
Posts: 118
Joined: Mon Nov 28, 2022 10:42 am
Location: Chaos Earth DM

Re: Hold Back the Night. Chapter 4.

Post by Myth and Jest »

12:01 - 29 December – Demon’s Lair Beneath the Ruined City

A flash of light blinks inside the demon as Shepard sends a precision-aimed beam of energy into the demon’s eye. The milky-white pupil, the size of a tractor tire, burst in an explosion of goo.
The baby-faced demon screams in panic and pain. The sound waves reverberate through the cavern, causing everyone without hearing protection to crumble over and hold their ears.

Falcon hits his rifle’s burst mode and lances searing gashes across the beast’s broad face. Suddenly, the demon whip lashes its body entirely around with a burst of blinding speed. Its massive tail end swats at Falcon, but he narrowly jumps back into the tunnel entrance.

Marconi, keeping a safe distance, weaves the blue zone’s energy tightly around his body into protective armor.

Shepard lines up the sights of his pistol with the demon’s other pupil and fires. The demon wails desperately as his second eye explodes in a shower of puss.

Looking at the grotesque tail-end of the whale-like larve, Falcon shoots another burst of lasers.

Possibly for the first time, the demon feels a wave of terror blaze through its mind. The sudden fear goads the beast into action, and with a rumbling sound like crashing boulders, it ejects its bowels in a torrent of shit, partially digested bodies, and a metallic combat hound, flooding the cavern floor. The demon sprints toward the safety of the blue energy wall in a burst of unnatural speed.

Shepard doesn’t have time to move as the beast rolls over him, crushing his body between the meaty lard of the demon’s body and the ground. The thought that he should be dead flashes through his head as the humongous creature tramples over him.

Marconi sees Shepard disappear under the whale demon and flings himself aside as it rushes past, escaping Shepard’s fate.

Falcon, standing knee-high in fecal matter and bodies, fires bursts of laser beams after the retreating hulk, tearing off arms and legs.

The woman ushers her people out of the demon’s path, and the creature dives into the wall of blue energy. Marconi feels the pull of energy focus into a rift that opens and closes around the escaping demon, leaving the cavern in silence.

Shepard lies in the expanding puddle of sewage and stares at the ceiling, somehow alive and breathing.

From beneath the depth of shit, Rex stands. The robot’s body is pitted and scared from its trip through the digestive tract of the giant demon.
Liam Marconi
Posts: 128
Joined: Mon Dec 05, 2022 8:21 am

Re: Hold Back the Night. Chapter 4.

Post by Liam Marconi »

Perception (48% - Blue Zone): 1d100
JIC (d20/d%): 1d20/1d100

Liam tries checking through the bodies to see if any of hem are still alive. It seems unlikely, but if any are he hopes he can do something to assist them.

If he finds any of them still alive he will use Minor Healing to stabilize them (not that he knows he has it yet, but I figure desperation will drive him to find it). After he has stabilized them, he will (hopefully) be able to use the Heal Burns and Itches trick to help them rest and heal.

When he has finished doing that, he will turn to the survivors, "That thing may come back, we should get you out of here. Not sure how many can fit in the truck, but if the storm has stopped, we can try to make it to the truck and then see if we can reach the caravan."

He will think, *OK, so there are more tricks where the earlier ones came from. I just need more time in the energy field to learn them.*

He would look at the woman and sigh, "No matter how hard we try, we always seem to lose more than we save."
User avatar
Benjamin Shepard
Posts: 30
Joined: Mon Apr 29, 2024 8:12 am

Re: Hold Back the Night. Chapter 4.

Post by Benjamin Shepard »

Perception 15% - 1d100
JIC: 1d20 / 1d100


Shepard lies on his back for a bit, the shock from being run over and seeing his life flash before his eyes leaving him paralyzed momentarily. After a moment, he shakily touches his arms, legs and face, checking to see if everything is in tact. He slowly rises to his feet and puts his weapons away. Finally noticing the gore and viscera all around him... and the smell, Shepard bends over and dry heaves for a good minute or so.

He wobbles over to where Falcon and Marconi are standing. "Did... Did we win?"
Liam Marconi
Posts: 128
Joined: Mon Dec 05, 2022 8:21 am

Re: Hold Back the Night. Chapter 4.

Post by Liam Marconi »

(Rolls held over)
Benjamin Shepard wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2024 3:08 pm Shepard lies on his back for a bit, the shock from being run over and seeing his life flash before his eyes leaving him paralyzed momentarily. After a moment, he shakily touches his arms, legs and face, checking to see if everything is in tact. He slowly rises to his feet and puts his weapons away. Finally noticing the gore and viscera all around him... and the smell, Shepard bends over and dry heaves for a good minute or so.

He wobbles over to where Falcon and Marconi are standing. "Did... Did we win?"
Liam replies, "We drove it off, everyone who was not eaten survived. In that sense it is a win. The creature is still alive and may be able to return, so it is not a total victory."
User avatar
Falcon
Posts: 101
Joined: Thu Dec 29, 2022 1:13 pm

Re: Hold Back the Night. Chapter 4.

Post by Falcon »

OOC Comments
Perception: 18% / 1d100
JIC: 1d20 / 1d100
+2 v HF, +2 v Lethal/Non-lethal Toxins, +6% vs Coma/Death, +2 vs Magic, +2 vs Insanity, +2 vs Psionics
Skills
Gymnastics – Back Flip (80%): 1d100
M&J wrote: Falcon, standing knee-high in fecal matter and bodies, fires bursts of laser beams after the retreating hulk, tearing off arms and legs.

The woman ushers her people out of the demon’s path, and the creature dives into the wall of blue energy.
Seeing the creature disappear, Falcon takes a moment to reload his rifle with a full magazine.
M&J wrote: From beneath the depth of shit, Rex stands. The robot’s body is pitted and scared from its trip through the digestive tract of the giant demon.
The feeling of relief nearly causes Falcon’s knees to go weak as he sees Shepard, Marconi, and Rex, but mostly Rex, still in one piece. On their direct line Falcon begins to issue commands to Rex and Nora. ”Rex, system analysis and report. Do you need immediate maintenance. Nora, civilians will be arriving soon. Keep watch and begin perimeter sweep.” I can be relieved and check Rex myself later.
Marconi wrote: He slowly rises to his feet and puts his weapons away. Finally noticing the gore and viscera all around him... and the smell, Shepard bends over and dry heaves for a good minute or so.
Once he has issued commands to his hounds Falcon walks to Shepard and offers a hand. When he sees Shepard get up on his own and immediately start to vomit, or at least try to, Falcon laughs and pumps his arm like one of those old farm water pump. ”That’s right. Get the demons out. It helps when you pump your arm like this. Increases the flow.”
Marconi wrote: Liam tries checking through the bodies to see if any of them are still alive. It seems unlikely, but if any are he hopes he can do something to assist them.

If he finds any of them still alive he will use Minor Healing to stabilize them
Looking away from Shepard Falcon sees Marconi finish his triage and walks over to him, Shepard following behind.
Shepard wrote: He wobbles over to where Falcon and Marconi are standing. "Did... Did we win?"
Marconi wrote: Liam replies, "We drove it off, everyone who was not eaten survived. In that sense it is a win. The creature is still alive and may be able to return, so it is not a total victory."
Falcon allows Marconi to respond, keeping his eyes on both the blue line and the survivors. He then pitches his voice so only the team Yes, Shepard is now part of the team. Trial by shit fire so to speak. ”Well, that plan went to shit. Shepard, we need to work on your teamwork.”

Falcon then raises his voice and looks over the civilians. ”Ok, we need to get out of here. Follow Shepard here,” Falcon gestures to Shepard and then to the woman with his pistol, ”and you companion. Help anyone who can’t walk easily on their own. If you have to carry someone, do so. Cpl Marconi will rove along double checking on any urgent injuries, but the goal is to get out and then check everyone over. Rex and I will follow.”

Having issued his commands Falcon looks to Marconi and Shepard for input. If he sees none, he nods once and takes his place guarding from the demonpillar’s return while the group gets out.
OOC Comments
I support the team’s decisions, but here is my thoughts. We get to the top and we can use snow to clean the worst of the mess off of us (I plan to roll in the snow like Rex until clean) since it may hold contaminants. Shepard can get the cold weather gear out of the back of the truck and carefully repack the munitions to make more space if necessary. While we are doing this, Marconi and I can do another triage with the goal of making everyone stable enough to get out of here.


OOC Comments
In case of violence: Initiative +4 (+5 w/rifles)
Initiative: 1d20+5: 1d20+5

Actions performed not necessarily in this order (6 actions +1 with Rifle)

Action 1: Reserved for Dodge/vehicle maneuver
Action 2: Reserved for Dodge/vehicle maneuver
Action 3: Strike: Rifle 1d20+2, Damage - SDC (5D6): 5d6, Damage - MDC (3D6): 3d6
Action 4: Strike: Rifle 1d20+2, Damage - SDC (5D6): 5d6, Damage - MDC (3D6): 3d6
Action 5: Strike: Rifle 1d20+2, Damage - SDC (5D6): 5d6, Damage - MDC (3D6): 3d6
Action 6: Strike: Rifle 1d20+2, Damage - SDC (5D6): 5d6, Damage - MDC (3D6): 3d6
Action 7: Strike: Rifle 1d20+2, Damage - SDC (5D6): 5d6, Damage - MDC (3D6): 3d6

Parries (+8 included): 1d20+8, 1d20+8, 1d20+8, 1d20+8, 1d20+8
Dodges (+9 included): 1d20+9, 1d20+9, 1d20+9, 1d20+9, 1d20+9
Hounds
Rex:
Initiative
Initiative: 1d20: 1d20

Actions performed not necessarily in this order

Action 1: Reserved for Dodge
Action 2: Strike: Head Lasers: 1d20+2, Damage – MDC (4D4): 4d4
Action 3: Strike: Head Lasers: 1d20+2, Damage – MDC (4D4): 4d4
Action 4: Strike: Head Lasers: 1d20+2, Damage – MDC (4D4): 4d4
Action 5: Strike: Head Lasers: 1d20+2, Damage – MDC (4D4): 4d4
Action 6: Strike: Head Lasers: 1d20+2, Damage – MDC (4D4): 4d4

Parries/Dodges
Parries (+1 included): 1d20+1, 1d20+1, 1d20+1, 1d20+1, 1d20+1
Dodges (+4 included): 1d20+4, 1d20+4, 1d20+4, 1d20+4, 1d20+4

Nora:
Initiative
Initiative: 1d20: 1d20

Actions performed not necessarily in this order

Action 1: Reserved for Dodge
Action 2: Strike: Head Lasers: 1d20+2, Damage – MDC (4D4): 4d4
Action 3: Strike: Head Lasers: 1d20+2, Damage – MDC (4D4): 4d4
Action 4: Strike: Head Lasers: 1d20+2, Damage – MDC (4D4): 4d4
Action 5: Strike: Head Lasers: 1d20+2, Damage – MDC (4D4): 4d4
Action 6: Strike: Head Lasers: 1d20+2, Damage – MDC (4D4): 4d4

Parries/Dodges
Parries (+1 included): 1d20+1, 1d20+1, 1d20+1, 1d20+1, 1d20+1
Dodges (+4 included): 1d20+4, 1d20+4, 1d20+4, 1d20+4, 1d20+4
User avatar
Myth and Jest
Dimension Master
Posts: 118
Joined: Mon Nov 28, 2022 10:42 am
Location: Chaos Earth DM

Re: Hold Back the Night. Chapter 4.

Post by Myth and Jest »

12:15 - 29 December – Beneath the Ruined City
Marconi wades through the raw sewage, searching for survivors, but only finds body parts and the rare complete corpse swallowed whole. Still in shock, the civilians group together as the woman herds them to the exit tunnel. Rex, with severe damage to its structural integrity, requests maintenance but remains functional. The team takes defensive positions and leads the civilians back to the subway platform. Several hours pass as the survivors recover enough to collect themselves and scavenge their meager belongings. The woman helps the team check everyone for wounds as they prepare to leave their makeshift shelter until she finds a small teddy bear within the debris, snatches it to her chest, and breaks down into sobs. Her family was not among the survivors. After some time, the sounds of grief subside, and the team guides the column to the surface, leaving behind that unspeakable horror.

The blizzard, worn out and receding, covered the world in a deep blanket of snow. The supply truck sticks out like a white mound, almost completely buried. High-pitch whining sounds break the silence as several hovercrafts fly overhead, and a dark line of vehicles in the distance plow slowly through the snow as they make their way to the team.

Leading from a hovercraft overhead, Lieutenant Gomez directs the security teams and the arriving rescue trucks to set up positions. In short order, everyone is cleaned, loaded, and headed back to the NEMA caravan. Now, in relative safety, for the first time since civilization collapsed many days ago, the survivors succumb to their shock and grief. Quiet sobs and rhythmic snoring of people coming down from an adrenaline high fill the silence of the long trip back.

Several hours later, the little remaining light slowly fades as the sun sets on the NEMA caravan as it reaches the outskirts of Chicago. Tall skyscrapers, still standing and illuminated by an active power grid, act as a rescue beacon to the wayward survivors. Local NEMA units greet their brothers and sisters and set up a protective screen to guide them into the city proper. The first week of the apocalypse comes to an end.
Liam Marconi
Posts: 128
Joined: Mon Dec 05, 2022 8:21 am

Re: Hold Back the Night. Chapter 4.

Post by Liam Marconi »

Perception (24% - standard zone): 1d100
JIC (d20/d%): 1d20/1d100

As they roll into Chicago, and find a city that is still functioning for the first time, Marconi reflects on what has been by far the strangest week of his life. A week ago, he was just an ordinary college student doing ROTC to pay his tuition. Now...he is a combat veteran who has faced giant spiders, mad cultists, and giant alien caterpillars and survived. He has learned that, at least sometimes, he can do things he would have thought to be flights of fantasy...things like flying without a jetpack or protecting other people with force fields.

He thinks, I am going to have to find the nearest Blue Line and start cataloging exactly what I can do. Perhaps even learning to do new things. Perhaps find others like myself who are not crazy and train them, or learn from them. I can not be the only one who can do these things, as I have met at least two others...even if one of hem tried to kill me.
Locked

Return to “CE Adventure Archives”