Detroit: (Supply Depot 3824)

Post Reply
User avatar
Sum of All Fears
Dimension Master
Posts: 351
Joined: Mon Apr 27, 2020 2:24 pm

Detroit: (Supply Depot 3824)

Post by Sum of All Fears »

This remote supply depot is located equidistant between several large cities and mining facilities. It serves as a logistical station for inventories and distribution of materiel between the cities, mining facilities and other smaller areas.
”DTG” wrote: 25 January 3026
0900 hrs
Winter; (Outside:-12०C)
Clear
Vanto had really hoped for more when he decided to join the DDF. This was not what he wanted. Was he good at it. Yes he was. Was it absolutely mind numbing. Also Yes. Vanto had spent several weeks collecting the inventory manifests from all the arrivals and departures from Depot 3824. Vanto now finds himself sitting at his desk next to the manager's office. Vanto's job has been to find out the story behind a subtle trend of discrepancies in the shipping and receiving from Depot 3824.

The Depot itself spanned close to 600m by 600m. Mostly these were warehouses, storage areas and such. The complex had three main entrances in the tall perimeter wall. North, South, and West. A VTOL landing pad dominated the eastern side of the complex. There was also a small garrison of soldiers and workers who called this place home. All of the Living areas were on the south side of the complex with the rest being taken up by blocks of storage areas and warehouses. The management and clerical portion of the facilities were in the dead center of the complex. They over looked the entire operation. Vanto found himself working out of the secondary management office. A small cluttered set of rooms in the basement of the management spire. Vanto had spend an inordinate amount of time trying to get power and connectivity working in this dusty unused area. Vanto's headaches usually stemmed from interactions with the Manager Mr. Park. A tired old grumpy Asian man who seemed to get younger the more he made people suffer through red tape. Vanto could not deny the efficiency with which Mr. park worked, but the man was anything but helpful to Vanto.

You get them all Vanto?" The small voice came from behind it was the new supply clerk they'd stuck Vanto with for this job. Barus Mankin. This kid was barely out of dippers and had the baby face to match. His soft spoken nature did nothing to help him. Inspite of his high intelligence he had a hard time getting others to understand him. He also never stood up for himself leading to people having a tendency to walk all over him. He rubbed his hands as he placed them closer to the portable heater working to keep the area warm. "How l.l.l.ong you tttthink It'll take to find the iiiisue? Poor kid has no meat on his bones and his short cut black hair does little to keep the heat in. Vanto remembered having to work a deal to procure that small heater for this area as it was deemed insignifatnt so the central heating unit was not operating here.

Vanto has nearly two years of records in a mix of hard and digital forms on his desk.

Please roll four administration checks; four Career/Logistics checks; and two investigation checks.

What are you doing?
BattleTech DM / Chaos Earth DM / Megaversal Arena Coordinator

"Any problem can be solved with the judicious application of high explosives."

Other Accounts: Wolf Whitaker (Roughnecks); Keiko (H4H); Talon (PW: GA); Lynch (Spooks)
User avatar
Perun
Posts: 13
Joined: Wed May 01, 2024 3:22 pm

Re: Detroit: (Supply Depot 3824)

Post by Perun »

Perception: 3d6-L: [2, 4, 6]-L = 10 +2 / (7 Base TN)
JIC: 2d6: [6, 5] = 11
JIC: 2d6: [2, 1] = 3

Active Effects: (Good Vision, Good Hearing, Patient)

Please roll four
2d6+1: [1, 2]+1 = 4 , 2d6+1: [1, 5]+1 = 7 , 2d6+1: [1, 6]+1 = 8 , 2d6+1: [6, 1]+1 = 8
checks; four Career/
3d6-L: [5, 3, 4]-L = 9 +3, 3d6-L: [5, 5, 6]-L = 11 +3, 3d6-L: [4, 1, 2]-L = 6 +3, 3d6-L: [2, 3, 2]-L = 5 +3
checks; and two
2d6+2: [5, 1]+2 = 8 , 2d6+2: [6, 5]+2 = 13
checks.


Finally, a mystery. Let's see if we can tease out where the missing supplies are. Wonder why they saddled me with a new clerk instead of one who did the tagging themselves. What happened to the original clerk or clerks?
Sum of All Fears wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 11:08 amYou get them all Vanto?"
"Documentation appears to cover the timeline in question..." Vanto defers softly while quickly flipping through some papers honing in on the name of the authorizing signature. If it is not Mankin, he wants to know if there is consistency across the timeline in question.

His eyes flit between the contents of his documentation and his assistant. I need him to be helpful. To take initiative at times and make observations. But he is clearly not in a state to do so.
Sum of All Fears wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 11:08 am"How l.l.l.ong you tttthink It'll take to find the iiiisue?
"Fancy running upstairs and fetching us both some hot coffee? Think Vicky sometimes sets out extra carafes." Vanto suggests. When Barus is gone, Vanto buckles down and focuses on the work at hand.
User avatar
Sum of All Fears
Dimension Master
Posts: 351
Joined: Mon Apr 27, 2020 2:24 pm

Re: Detroit: (Supply Depot 3824)

Post by Sum of All Fears »

”DTG” wrote: 25 January 3026
1930 hrs
Winter; (Outside:-12०C)
Clear
Barus nods a bit too quickly, "Ssssure. Misssss Sssummerrrrs alwwwways keeps tttthhhe cofffffee running ffffor her sttttaff." You're not sure if it's the cold or if this kid just has a really bad stutter. But the youth bounds off to go get a few carafes of coffee. Over the next few hours you and Barus go over the documentation you've managed to acquire. After a few coffee and lunch runs, Barus's stutter seems less pronounced then it did when you first started.

You bein by sorting the documentation by supply class. Relatively easy to do. Once that's complete you move to sorting the supply requests with the inventory manifests. This takes longer however you are able to get them in order of date. It takes several hours but you are able to find a pattern in the request. It seems request modifications were all submitted by Chief Warrant Officer III Kelly Grimes. The Modification requests seem to line up with likely missing equipment over the least year. However what you don't find is documentation of where the equipment was moved to. It was not reentered into the storage system nor was it transferred out of the facility. While the amounts look small at first. Soon Vanto is able to piece together a large amount of materiel that seems to have gone missing over the last year. From food stuffs to mech weapons, someone is slowly siphoning off equipment from this Depot. You're sure of it. While this has all the hallmarks of a well oiled smuggling operation you can't find any evidence of anything leaving the facility.

--You know Mr. Park rubber stamps all requests, but he rarely pays close attention.

--CW3 Grimes initiated the supply modification requests according to the paperwork.

--Sergeant Shin is CW3 Grimes' subordinate and handles many logistical tasks in conjunction with CW3 Grimes.

--No vehicle driver was used more then any other. You could find no pattern indicating a vehicle driver was apart of the scheme.

As the logistics auditor assigned to this depot you have the authority to conduct interviews in line with you audit. It is currently 1930. Interviews will be scheduled for the next day.

What are you doing?
BattleTech DM / Chaos Earth DM / Megaversal Arena Coordinator

"Any problem can be solved with the judicious application of high explosives."

Other Accounts: Wolf Whitaker (Roughnecks); Keiko (H4H); Talon (PW: GA); Lynch (Spooks)
User avatar
Perun
Posts: 13
Joined: Wed May 01, 2024 3:22 pm

Re: Detroit: (Supply Depot 3824)

Post by Perun »

Perception: 3d6-L: [5, 2, 1]-L = 7 +2 / (7 Base TN)
JIC: 2d6: [6, 3] = 9
JIC: 2d6: [1, 3] = 4

3d6-L+2: [5, 2, 4]-L+2 = 11


Active Effects: (Good Vision, Good Hearing, Patient)

A small smile plays on Vanto's face as the warmth and stimulants from the coffee and food seem to help invigorate his assistant.

That's more like it. Now we can get to the real work of unravelling this mystery.

"Looks like we found the requisition modifications that resulted in the missing supplies. And we have a handful of individuals to investigate more closely." Vanto pauses as he sees what time it is.

"Well done Mankins," he beams in Barus' direction with genuine appreciation. "Why don't you call it a day and I will see you at 0900. I'm going to work a little bit longer until the caffeine wears off. Again, great job today. Thank you for the help."

There are a few more things Vanto wants to accomplish before scheduling any interviews. He is a man of patience and preparation. The idea of going into the interview without knowing more of the answers to the questions he intends to ask makes him feel underprepared. He will work another few hours, likely going to sleep between 2230 and 2300 hr.

Since the missing supplies do not appear to have left the facility... And the supplies are wide-ranging in equipment type... Perhaps I have stumbled upon a black or grey operation that is off-the-books through this audit. If that is the case, I will need to tread very carefully and be as prepared as I can be prior to alerting anyone involved by asking questions. I should also take care in my information requests that I don't trip some flagged files.

In furtherance of his
2d6+2: [4, 5]+2 = 11 , 2d6+2: [4, 4]+2 = 10
, he seeks the following:
  • 2d6+1: [5, 5]+1 = 11 , 2d6+1: [4, 5]+1 = 10
    : Pull up personnel files on: Mr. Park, CW3 Grimes, and Sergeant Shin.
    • How long have they been assigned to this supply depot and/or their current position.
    • What other assignments have they been assigned to previously.
    • If they have come up together. And who their superior officers have been. If there is a pattern, what role those superiors are in now.
  • 3d6-L: [3, 1, 2]-L = 5 +3, 3d6-L: [3, 3, 2]-L = 6 +3
    : Try to find pattern for missing supplies. Does it match up with theory that it is supporting an off-the-books operation? Based on the pattern of acquisition, are there additional missing supplies outside the timeframe originally suspected? Have there been personnel expenditures (i.e. technician repair hours) that align with this theory? If so, which personnel?
User avatar
Sum of All Fears
Dimension Master
Posts: 351
Joined: Mon Apr 27, 2020 2:24 pm

Re: Detroit: (Supply Depot 3824)

Post by Sum of All Fears »

”DTG” wrote: 25 January 3026
2245 hrs
Winter; (Outside:-17०C)
Clear
You are able to secure the personnel files relatively quickly. It only takes a few hours for them to be in your emails. Seems this issue is a high priority as they had to get an HR rep out of their bed to get you the information so fast.

The personnel files are as follows:

Name: Sougn Park (Isle of Skye)
Rank: Government Civilian
Position: Chief of Operations, Logistics (Depot 3824)
Years Of Service: 45
Duties: Oversee and Manage Depot 3824
Previous assignments: None on record. Mr. Park has been in this position for 25 years.
Next of Kin: Sue Park (Wife); Calvin Park (Son)

Notes:
–Mr. Park has been a staple of Depot 3824 for many years. Having established the location under the purview of the government. He has near total autonomy to run the Depot how he sees fit. No Further Information (NFI)

–Mr. Park and Sergeant Shin have had heated arguments in the past. Currently they tend to steer clear of each other. NFI

–Mr. Park has attempted on several occasions to write up Sergeant Shin. These attempts have been blocked by CW3 Grimes. NFI

–Mr. Park and CW3 Grimes have a good working relationship. NFI

–Mr. Park has not had a supervisor in 30 years.


Name: Kelly Grimes (Periphery)
Rank: Chief Warrant Officer III (CW3)
Position: DDF Logistic Chief (Depot 3824)
Years Of Service: 17
Duties: DDF Military Liaison to Depot 3824; Responsible for all DDF Personnel assigned to Depot 3824; DDF requisitions management; DDF inventory management; DDF logistics route approvals;
Previous assignments: DDF logistics officer (DDF Depot 2249); DDF Warrant Officer School; DDF 5th Armored Regiment Logistics Noncommissioned Officer in Charge (NOCIC)
Next of Kin: None Listed

Notes:
–CW3 Grimes has been an exemplary officer over her tenure as a warrant officer. Even as an NCO she ensured all documentation was updated and accurate. NFI

–CW3 Grimes has several commendations for her work with and improvements to the DDF logistics chain and their procedures. NFI

–CW3 Grimes has made excellent strides with community outreach programs to use excess supplies for relief efforts following combat engagements. NFI


Name: Cheng Shin (Liao)
Rank: Sergeant (SGT)
Position: Logistics Specialist
Years Of Service: 5
Duties: DDF Inventories (Depot 3824); Initial Requisition requests; Manage and Prioritize DDF requests;
Previous assignments: 12th Logistics Support Brigade
Next of Kin: Fuwen Shin (Mother)

Notes:
–SGT Shin’s performance reports show an average soldier and logistics specialist. He has not gone out of his way to go above and beyond the scope of his duties. NFI

–SGT Shin and Mr. Park have had several verbal altercations in his time at Depot 3824. These have been mitigated by CW3 Grimes. NFI

–SGT Shin was cited for public intoxication six months ago. Charges were dropped. NFI

–SGT Shin maintains ties with family in Liao Space. NFI


There is not much information on previous supervisors for CW3 Grimes or SGT Shin. None that seem to matter for this investigation.

From what you can tell it looks to be a skim style smuggling operation. Little bits being taken over years as to not alert the auditors with large swings in missing supplies. What is interesting is you would normally see additional weight added to vehicles to compensate for the unlisted cargo. So while this has the hallmarks of smuggling, you are very confident the supplies are still in the Depot. This is unlike any situation you have come across before.

There is no evidence the supplies are being allocated for black operations. You remember there is a special destruction annotation used for supplies intended for black operations. You have seen it on other documents, just none that are related to these missing supplies.

Who are you going to interview first?
BattleTech DM / Chaos Earth DM / Megaversal Arena Coordinator

"Any problem can be solved with the judicious application of high explosives."

Other Accounts: Wolf Whitaker (Roughnecks); Keiko (H4H); Talon (PW: GA); Lynch (Spooks)
User avatar
Perun
Posts: 13
Joined: Wed May 01, 2024 3:22 pm

Re: Detroit: (Supply Depot 3824)

Post by Perun »

=======================
Perception: 3d6-L+2: [5, 1, 2]-L+2 = 9 / (7 Base TN)
JIC: 2d6: [3, 2] = 5
JIC: 2d6: [5, 1] = 6

Active Effects: (Good Vision, Good Hearing, Patient)
=======================

"Skim-style smuggling..." Vanto eventually mumbles to himself in epiphany. "But where and when are these goods going to be moved? Everything is likely still somewhere in the depot."

So if my interviews fail to yield any useful information, I should methodically go through our depot inventory on the chance that the missing supplies are at least somewhat clustered for ease of access and minimizing the chances that they get accidentally moved along with like items. That'll be quite the unpleasant experience... I should make sure my interviews are fruitful.

The last thing Vanto does before bed (he will sleep in the office space) is spend under an hour pulling on the thread that SGT Shin maintains ties with family in Liao Space. He will try to access the Detroit space port logs for ships with ties to Capellan space that have come to (the presumably obscure) Detroit through either civilian or military channels.
3d6-L+2: [5, 4, 5]-L+2 = 12


In the morning, Vanto will continue his work until Barus arrives. After some minor small talk, asking his assistant if he thought of anything clever or useful overnight... and if nothing in particular, Vanto gets to business.

"Reach out to Mr. Park to schedule a meeting with him today. I have a few questions for him." Vanto asks. "And I have a list of some of the larger items skimmed from the books. I'm thinking that as a backup to the interviews, we may need to do some physical inventorying later. Could you narrow a physical search down to locations where those items could be stored at the depot while I go grab a quick shower?"
User avatar
Sum of All Fears
Dimension Master
Posts: 351
Joined: Mon Apr 27, 2020 2:24 pm

Re: Detroit: (Supply Depot 3824)

Post by Sum of All Fears »

”DTG” wrote: 26 January 3026
1030 hrs
Winter; -8C
Clear
Given the proximity to Capellan Space there are quite a few marked transports coming and going from Detroit. Not at all surprising as Capellan Space is very close to Detroit and a couple of Capellan corporations have a presence here. You do note, a Capellan recently joined the DDF as a merc and arrived this morning. The records indicate SGT Shin takes leave once a year to visit his family around the February time frame. There is an oddity in the transport logs. There was a transport that was flagged as Federated Suns but its destination was Sian the Capellen Capital World. It’s going to take more digging and the people you would need to talk to about it are in the spaceport which is located in Ann Arbor, approximately 2200 km west of your location. Still it’s an oddity as no Fed Suns flagged ship should be going to the Capital World of their most hated enemy.

”Mmmorning Sssir.” The kid needs to relax. In fact Perun is confident the only reason the kid is here is to get hands-on experience with an investigation. ”I’mmm nnnot sssure iiiifff you llookked attt ittt bbbut a full inssspectttion offf all invvventoory wwwould take abbout tttwo mmmonths to cccomleeeete. Barus listens to Perun and nods along, ”Yyess SSir. I’llll gettthat scheduled rrringht awwway.

Perun gets a shower and readies himself for the day. Once he’s cleaned up and dressed, Barus hands him a tablet with an appointment with Mr. Park for 1030. Seems Barus is not trusting himself to get the words out.

Perun arrives at Mr. Park’s door at the prescribed time. At a knock Perun hears Mr. Park grumble, ”Yes? Enter.” Perun is face to face with the man sitting at his desk. Papers and data tablets covering the desk. Seems as though he works more than the reports led Perun to believe. His gruff voice does not hide his irritation at this interruption to his day, ”Yes? What can I do for the DDF today? Not like I’m trying to keep goods flowing between worlds or anything. Hurry up and spit it out.” he drums his fingers noisily on the desk. There are two chairs on Perun’s side of the ornate desk, however Mr. Park did not motion to them.

Meeting 1: The grumpy old man...What now?
BattleTech DM / Chaos Earth DM / Megaversal Arena Coordinator

"Any problem can be solved with the judicious application of high explosives."

Other Accounts: Wolf Whitaker (Roughnecks); Keiko (H4H); Talon (PW: GA); Lynch (Spooks)
User avatar
Perun
Posts: 13
Joined: Wed May 01, 2024 3:22 pm

Re: Detroit: (Supply Depot 3824)

Post by Perun »

=======================
Perception: 3d6-L+4: [5, 5, 2]-L+4 = 14 / (7 Base TN)
JIC: 2d6: [1, 3] = 4
JIC: 2d6: [4, 6] = 10

Active Effects: (Good Vision, Good Hearing, Patient)
=======================

The Federated Suns flagged transport en route to the Capellan homeworld is quite the aberration. And could be key to this mystery. I will need to ask around at the spaceport later. Vanto mentally notes.

But his primary task of the day is to interview. Targeting the individual he believes to be least likely to be the mastermind behind the missing supplies, Perun suspects that some information may be gleaned based on the relationship he has with the DDF logistics personnel. He therefore knows that he needs to approach the man with respect in order to gain his confidence and hopefully encourage him to speak more freely about his concerns or suspicions.

Additionally, he tasks Barus to pack for a light picnic: A carafe of coffee, a set of 4 travel mugs, simple finger sandwiches and snacks in a padded duffel. And a lightweight travel table slung across his back. While his assistant is working on that, Perun gathers up a handful of key pieces of his paperwork that obviously highlight the missing supplies and puts them into a portfolio that he carries with him.
Sum of All Fears wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 9:19 amPapers and data tablets covering the desk. Seems as though he works more than the reports led Perun to believe.
Recognizing a kindred spirit given the paperwork mess he left in the borrowed office in merely one day, Vanto is glad at his decision to speak to this man. He is the one that does the real work of the depot.
Sum of All Fears wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 9:19 amHis gruff voice does not hide his irritation at this interruption to his day, ”Yes? What can I do for the DDF today? Not like I’m trying to keep goods flowing between worlds or anything. Hurry up and spit it out.” he drums his fingers noisily on the desk.
"Understood. Your work is vital to the smooth operation of this depot. So I will be brief and take as little of your time as possible." Vanto begins with sincere deference. He makes a point of remaining standing and hopes Barus takes the cue and also remains at attention by his side.

"I am Vanto Perun. I am investigating the fate of some missing supplies." Vanto raises and taps his portfolio a couple times. "But I already know that the missing supplies are not from any fault of your own, so am actually here to ask you for some clarifying information about a couple of your DDF co-workers. CW3 Grimes and SGT Shin."

Perun pauses, leaving the 'question' open-ended for Park to vent if he so chooses. If he looks puzzled or asks for clarifying information, Vanto will inquire more directly about the conflict(s) they have had in the past.

Though Barus may be standing there awkwardly with picnicking supplies in hand, Perun will not breach the topic unless asked by Park (because he does not want to unnecessarily waste the man's time). But if he does ask, Vanto will say, "We brought caf and a light brunch in case you wanted to make it a working meal." Should Park then take them up on the offer, Perun will help Barus set up the food and drink offset from where the papers are piled.
User avatar
Sum of All Fears
Dimension Master
Posts: 351
Joined: Mon Apr 27, 2020 2:24 pm

Re: Detroit: (Supply Depot 3824)

Post by Sum of All Fears »

”DTG” wrote: 26 January 3026
1030 hrs
Winter; -8C
Clear

Your comments get you a gruff nod towards one of the chairs. ”Seems you have some manners in you. So you want to know about the two DDF watch dogs do ya? Well the Chief is incharge of all of the DDF supplies that come in and out of this facility, but you likely knew that already.” He clears a space on his desk and motions for you to set up the lunch on the cleared area. ”I appreciate the meal. It does get difficult to get time to eat on busy days like today.” Barus gives a small salute to Perun.

Alright, so the Chief and I get along well enough. She’s professional and doesn’t let her personal feelings affect her duties. The Sergeant though…Well he’s still a bit of a Capellan Loyalist and I’m from the Isle of Sky. So we don’t see eye to eye on things politically. It wouldn’t be an issue if he would keep his thoughts to himself. But he likes to try and start debates while I’m trying to work. He’s not a bad kid, just a little misguided. So What kind of supplies have gone missing? Is it all DDF stuff or are there things I need to be concerned about?”

Time to get the big questions working…
BattleTech DM / Chaos Earth DM / Megaversal Arena Coordinator

"Any problem can be solved with the judicious application of high explosives."

Other Accounts: Wolf Whitaker (Roughnecks); Keiko (H4H); Talon (PW: GA); Lynch (Spooks)
User avatar
Perun
Posts: 13
Joined: Wed May 01, 2024 3:22 pm

Re: Detroit: (Supply Depot 3824)

Post by Perun »

=======================
Perception: 3d6-L+4: [5, 2, 5]-L+4 = 14 / (7 Base TN)
JIC: 2d6: [1, 3] = 4
JIC: 2d6: [2, 2] = 4

Active Effects: (Good Vision, Good Hearing, Patient)
=======================

Glad to be welcomed by Mr. Park as much as his busy day can allow, Perun gestures kindly to his assistant in invitation once they set up the meal for the working lunch. "Barus, come, sit, please join us. You have looked over some of the same data I have. If you have something in mind, speak up."
Sum of All Fears wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2024 9:20 amAlright, so the Chief and I get along well enough. She’s professional and doesn’t let her personal feelings affect her duties. The Sergeant though…Well he’s still a bit of a Capellan Loyalist and I’m from the Isle of Sky. So we don’t see eye to eye on things politically. It wouldn’t be an issue if he would keep his thoughts to himself. But he likes to try and start debates while I’m trying to work. He’s not a bad kid, just a little misguided. So What kind of supplies have gone missing? Is it all DDF stuff or are there things I need to be concerned about?”
Answering the last question first, Perun wordlessly slides his pre-prepared portfolio across the table for Mr. Park to peruse. He sits quietly, not assuming that he fully knows Mr. Park's business well enough to determine if the missing items are something he needs 'to be concerned about'. Once the Chief of Operations finishes looking over the information and returns his attention to Perun, he will continue.

"My investigations suggest that the missing supplies are still on-site. Rather than dig through the depot inventory manually and possibly raise some red flags with those trying to skim-style smuggle the goods, I'd prefer the smugglers to neatly collect all the items together for me." Perun pauses a moment, collecting his thoughts. If I am to get to the bottom of this mystery, I will need to trust Mr. Park. I should share what I know. So far, he has confirmed everything previously found within my investigation, so strongly suggests that he is trustworthy. Ultimately, if I choose to trust him and I am betrayed, I will fail at the task. But there is also a good chance I fail if I don't pull him into my confidence now.

"Records indicate SGT Shin takes leave once a year around February to visit his family. Being a Capellan loyalist, perhaps he is inclined to think along political lines, blurring his professional responsibilities with personal benefit. I have likewise identified a strangely flagged Federated Suns transport destined to travel to the Capellan Capital World, Sian. I am left asking myself, 'Could this suspicious transport be the means by which the smuggled goods will disappear off-site?' My next stop will likely be the spaceport to find out more information about this transport with the intention of finding a suitable spot to intercept it, hopefully with the goods collected, but not quite fully loaded for departure." Perun pauses his exposition dump another moment, indicating a slight shift in topic.

"My coming here to inquire about SGT Shin and CW3 Grimes is an effort to determine if the smuggling party is limited to SGT Shin or if CW3 Grimes is also participating. Seemed when you previously attempted to file complaints about SGT Shin, it was CW3 Grimes that blocked your efforts. Could very well have been a superior officer deciding to try to resolve the matter on her own without escalation. But it could also have been collusion, to keep SGT Shin's record clean because they have a business partnership. If you have an opinion about CW3 Grimes' character motives, I would greatly appreciate hearing it."

And then there is also the final thread of a Capellan mercenary that recently joined the DDF. Probably not related, but on the small chance that this mercenary is the mule through which the goods will move... I will need to investigate that too.
User avatar
Sum of All Fears
Dimension Master
Posts: 351
Joined: Mon Apr 27, 2020 2:24 pm

Re: Detroit: (Supply Depot 3824)

Post by Sum of All Fears »

”DTG” wrote: 26 January 3026
1130 hrs
Winter; -8C
Clear
Mr. Park nods to you. ”That is quite the conundrum you have there. This is some good work to get this much information. He presses his hands together in thought, ”It’s odd that the supplies haven’t left the yard. Usually these kinds of things would be funneled to their end destination in small amounts so by the time the theft was discovered the thieves would already have the material. The transport is suspicious, but I’ll leave you to figure that one out. We have trade agreements with many different factions. I’m only concerned with what’s going on here in this depot. That might seem dismissive, but I don’t have the bandwidth to spare thinking about anything other than this place. Mr. Park grabs a sandwich with one hand while opening one of his desk draws with the other. He pulls out a file folder and lays it on the desk in front of you. ”It's all in there. The write ups. To summarize for you, they were all for unprofessional conduct based on comments made about my homeland. Now I believe everyone is entitled to their opinion, however in the workplace I won’t tolerate political talk. I’ve found it degrades work ethic and creates wedges between people who might otherwise get along. SGT Shin refuses to abide by this and is near constantly spouting off about Capellen politics and how great his people are. Mr. Park shrugs, ”The Chief keeps getting the boy off with lesser slaps on the wrist. The pattern is enough to have requested his transfer to another location. However the DDF HQ is still processing that request. I should know in the next week or so if he will be transferred or not. Mr. Park thinks for a moment. ”The Chief is quite a stellar individual. You’d be hard pressed to find a more compassionate person. I think that’s where most of her defense for SGT Shin comes from. Mr. Park finishes off his sandwich and pulls a tablet from his desk. He sets it down and pulls up a digital map of the facility. Now let's go over the supplies that are missing and see if there are any places where they could all be collected and hidden from normal sight.

Please roll 4 investigation, 4 career/smuggling, and 2 career/logistics checks please.
BattleTech DM / Chaos Earth DM / Megaversal Arena Coordinator

"Any problem can be solved with the judicious application of high explosives."

Other Accounts: Wolf Whitaker (Roughnecks); Keiko (H4H); Talon (PW: GA); Lynch (Spooks)
User avatar
Perun
Posts: 13
Joined: Wed May 01, 2024 3:22 pm

Re: Detroit: (Supply Depot 3824)

Post by Perun »

=======================
Perception: 3d6-L+4: [3, 5, 4]-L+4 = 13 / (7 Base TN)
JIC: 2d6: [4, 5] = 9
JIC: 2d6: [3, 2] = 5

Active Effects: (Good Vision, Good Hearing, Patient)
=======================

GM-requested rolls:
  • Investigation x4: 2d6+3: [6, 6]+3 = 15 , 2d6+3: [1, 2]+3 = 6 , 2d6+3: [4, 4]+3 = 11 , 2d6+3: [3, 1]+3 = 7
  • Career/Smuggling x4: 2d6+2: [4, 4]+2 = 10 , 2d6+2: [2, 1]+2 = 5 , 2d6+2: [2, 1]+2 = 5 , 2d6+2: [2, 5]+2 = 9
  • Career/Logistics x2: 3d6-L+3: [1, 4, 3]-L+3 = 10 , 3d6-L+3: [6, 2, 3]-L+3 = 12
Sum of All Fears wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2024 12:48 pm"We have trade agreements with many different factions. I’m only concerned with what’s going on here in this depot. That might seem dismissive, but I don’t have the bandwidth to spare thinking about anything other than this place.
That's a very good point. I need to broaden the scope of my thinking. The motivation behind the smuggling could originate from beyond this supply depot. Perhaps SGT Shin has negotiated a sweetheart deal to transfer into the Capellan military if he is able to procure particular supplies to justify his worth. Like securing himself a command commission or somesuch? Can't say I know if that is a thing. But I imagine anything can be done in the name of politics. Perun thinks to himself.
Sum of All Fears wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2024 12:48 pm”It's all in there. The write ups. To summarize for you, they were all for unprofessional conduct based on comments made about my homeland. Now I believe everyone is entitled to their opinion, however in the workplace I won’t tolerate political talk. I’ve found it degrades work ethic and creates wedges between people who might otherwise get along. SGT Shin refuses to abide by this and is near constantly spouting off about Capellen politics and how great his people are.
"Thank you," Perun says gratefully at the paperwork, "With your permission, Barus will make a quick copy and I will peruse at a later time. Your word of their character should suffice I think. It certainly fits the picture that is coming together piece by piece."
Sum of All Fears wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2024 12:48 pmMr. Park finishes off his sandwich and pulls a tablet from his desk. He sets it down and pulls up a digital map of the facility. Now let's go over the supplies that are missing and see if there are any places where they could all be collected and hidden from normal sight.
Perun nods dutifully and diligently sets to work with Mr. Park and Barus.
User avatar
Sum of All Fears
Dimension Master
Posts: 351
Joined: Mon Apr 27, 2020 2:24 pm

Re: Detroit: (Supply Depot 3824)

Post by Sum of All Fears »

”DTG” wrote: 27 January 3026
1230 hrs
Winter; -12C
Clear

Mr. Park waves off the notion for copies, "You may keep those. I have them stored on our computers so those copies are yours to keep." He gives a slight grin as you begin digging into the possible locations the supplies could be hidden at.

Over the hours you comb through files, maps, and data sheets. You can see an odd pattern begin to immerge as you piece together the movements of Chief Grimes and SGT Shin. It seems they would always have hold a small meeting just prior to the modified supply requests being handled. While it may be a two person job it's not the smoking gun you were hoping for. What is more damning is SGT Shin's movements afterwards. Through looking over the maps and access to the badging records you've been able to mostly account for SGT Shin's movements. Through those movements following meetings around the time supplies have gone missing you are able to narrow down the possible locations to four our of the way storage areas. Two are located near each other on the western edge of the facility. One is in the north and the fourth is on the east of the facility.

Through your prior knowledge and experience regarding these things you have an 80% confidence the supplies are in the two western storage areas. THUNK! To punctuate this revelation, Barus' head slams into the table.
"Ugh, that hurt. My bad sir. I guess I dozed off for a second.
Mr. Park smiles, "We have been at this for a while. Why don't you guys go get some rest. We can check the storage area's tomorrow when we're all fresh." Mr. Park pats you on the shoulder as he helps you up from the chair. As you stand you realize how absolutely exhausted you are. "I'll meet you two at the western warehouses around noon tomorrow. That should give you enough time to get ready." Mr. Park helps you collect up your notes as you make your way out of the office and back to your room. You walk a little lighter as you're sure you now know where the supplies are. Once you confirm their location you can then begin to dig deeper into the Chief and Sergeant to see who is really behind this.



The Next Day:

After the long night before you awake a little later then normal. Barus has coffee ready for you when you are ready. We got it right boss?" He asks in a firmer tone then you're used to. maybe this adventure has been for him. Seems he's grown in the sort time you've been working together.

You and Barus leave at the appointed time to meet up with Mr. Park at the western warehouses at noon. You can't help but notice Barus has his sidearm with him.

Once you arrive you spot Mr. Park with a Depot Security officer. "Ah. Glad you're on time." He motions to the warehouse with a giant "42" painted in yellow on the massive double doors. These warehouses are nearly 100m by 100m in size. "Shall we? It's an off day for the Chief and Sergeant so they shouldn't be down here today. We can search as long as we need to." Mr. Park gives a wide smile.

It takes several hours go go through the inventories. Eventually after nearly six hours of work you have been able to pin down and mark most of the supplies. They have all ended up in warehouse 42. You and Mr. Park are conferring about the final tally of supplies near the large double doors when a DDF truck supply truck pulls up. Several people get out in DDF uniforms. You notice Chief Grimes is leading the people into the warehouse. The others don't have the normal name taps of other DDF personnel on their uniforms.

They stop as they spot you and Mr. Park in the warehouse. Chief Grimes speaks up. "Mr. Park. It's been a while since I've seen you out of your office. To what do we owe the pleasure?"
Mr. Park smiles and looks at you, "You'll have to ask him." As he thumbs towards you, the world no longer makes sense. You feel yourself being pulled away from Mr. Park. You're vision flips to looking at the ceiling as your ears hear the distinct sound of firearms discharging. You feel something hot and warm splash over you're face and arm as you work to right yourself. Bullets are now blazing past your position Impacting the supply crates you were pulled behind. As you sit up Barus drops to a knee next to you. Pistol in his right hand, his left is covering a large hole in his chest. You can see him trying to speak. It looks like he's trying to apologize. He grins at you as blood flows between his fingers and down his chest staining his uniform. He presses his gun and two spare magazines into your hands as he collapses to the ground. (Note: Pistol has been added to your equipment sheet)

Surprise! You're turn!

Map Key:
  • Three Point Star: Perun
  • "B": Barus
  • Four point Star: Mr. Park
  • Five Point Star: Security Officer
  • Red Six Point Stars: Hostiles
Supply Depot I.png
BattleTech DM / Chaos Earth DM / Megaversal Arena Coordinator

"Any problem can be solved with the judicious application of high explosives."

Other Accounts: Wolf Whitaker (Roughnecks); Keiko (H4H); Talon (PW: GA); Lynch (Spooks)
User avatar
Perun
Posts: 13
Joined: Wed May 01, 2024 3:22 pm

Re: Detroit: (Supply Depot 3824)

Post by Perun »

=======================
Perception: 3d6-L+4: [5, 4, 5]-L+4 = 14 / (7 Base TN)
JIC: 2d6: [6, 2] = 8
JIC: 2d6: [6, 1] = 7

Active Effects: (Good Vision, Good Hearing, Patient)
=======================
Sum of All Fears wrote: Fri Jul 05, 2024 4:11 pmBarus has coffee ready for you when you are ready. We got it right boss?" He asks in a firmer tone then you're used to. maybe this adventure has been for him. Seems he's grown in the sort time you've been working together.
Perun smiles proudly at his assistant. "All the clues certainly line up. Great work again."

He has a well-warranted confidence that is great to see. Perun thinks as he drinks his morning brew. The pride intermixes with an excitement at finally turning the corner in the investigation and the prospect of tying it all together with a neat bow.

Perhaps it is this reason that Perun gets sloppy and doesn't properly anticipate what transgresses next. According to Mr. Park, neither Chief Grimes or SGT Park had reason to visit the warehouse they were digging through. Nor was Chief Grimes supposed to be complicit with the smuggling operation.

And yet, here she was, with a squad of unidentified security personnel dressed in DDF uniforms.
Sum of All Fears wrote: Fri Jul 05, 2024 4:11 pmMr. Park smiles and looks at you, "You'll have to ask him." As he thumbs towards you, the world no longer makes sense.
What the... Perun thinks as the possibility of betrayal dawns upon him.
Sum of All Fears wrote: Fri Jul 05, 2024 4:11 pmYou feel yourself being pulled away from Mr. Park. You're vision flips to looking at the ceiling as your ears hear the distinct sound of firearms discharging. You feel something hot and warm splash over you're face and arm as you work to right yourself. Bullets are now blazing past your position Impacting the supply crates you were pulled behind.
Time seems to slow as adrenaline inadvertently surges through his body even as his mind churns on the mystery of their situation. Did Mr. Park just mark him for termination? No, they've been inventorying here for six hours, betrayal would have occurred earlier... Is that gunfire? Why is that ceiling lamp missing a bulb?

Rather than daydream his fleeting moments away, he wills focus and returns his mind to the present.
Sum of All Fears wrote: Fri Jul 05, 2024 4:11 pmBullets are now blazing past your position Impacting the supply crates you were pulled behind. As you sit up Barus drops to a knee next to you. Pistol in his right hand, his left is covering a large hole in his chest. You can see him trying to speak. It looks like he's trying to apologize. He grins at you as blood flows between his fingers and down his chest staining his uniform. He presses his gun and two spare magazines into your hands as he collapses to the ground.
"Barus, No!" Perun reflexively wails as his assistant collapses, his lifeblood seeping away through a gruesome chest wound. The logistics investigator looks around in a bit of a panic amidst the whizzing of gun-fire pelting all around him.

Focus. Don't freeze. he tells himself even as he flinches with the sound of each passing projectile. Lean in on what you know.

Looking around, his gaze quickly links in his mind with the contents of their recent inventory. And he realizes without fanfare that the answer to the first phase of potentially extracting themselves from this situation is right in front of him. A crate of smoke grenades.

He quickly grabs one, pulls the pin and lobs it over to the other side of the crates he is currently using as cover.

They are going to advance on me through that smoke. His gaze flits to Mr. Park and his security detail. Assuming that they are just as flustered (rather than training their weapons at him in a sign of true betrayal) at the rapidly deteriorating situation, he clusters them into the 'friendlies' category. Advance on us.

As quickly as he can (alternating between Mr. Park and his security detail), he rolls handfuls of un-primed smoke grenades in their direction. Should they need further clarification of what to do, he will show them again by grabbing a fresh smoke grenade, pulling the pin and tossing it (ideally in a slightly different direction) up and over his cover-crates.

"Withdraw to the opposite exit! Smoke is our cover. Go!" Perun hollars in their direction, gesturing away from the advancing enemy.

He will keep tossing smoke grenades, intent on filling this portion of the warehouse with as much of the dense, obscuring gas as he can. I hope they heard me and will listen... Perun thinks as he lobs another smoke grenade. If for some reason, Mr. Park and his escort do not listen and retreat, Perun will act on his own.

Once a wall of smoke obscures their movements, his intention is to start retreating while sending a couple wild shots back into the smoke (to hopefully minimize the chances that the enemy advances on them at full speed). As they pass the central area of the warehouse where he remembers there being drums of flammable petroleum products, Perun will turn his gun on the drums. Shooting into the drums not expecting them to explode, but rather to create punctures that will allow the flammable fluids to spill out onto the floor.

Small Arms. 2d6: [3, 1] = 4 , 2d6: [2, 5] = 7 , 2d6: [6, 2] = 8

If he can (Perun knows he is not a strong man. But perhaps with some of the weight of liquid already spilled onto the floor, one of the drums will prove light enough.), he will try to knock over (ideally without spilling on himself... so with a kick or some-such) one of the drums and roll it in the direction of his escape. Trying to create a long fuse of liquid, leading to the main pool of flammable material, he hopes this action will allow him to be closer to his exit should he decide to ignite the petroleum.

His further retreat will take him toward the lower left corner of the warehouse where he remembers there being flares. Grabbing a few, he will return to his fuse-drum line. If the enemy continue to pursue them (through the smoke and pushing through the central part of the warehouse where spilled fuel is... Then he will ignite a few flares and toss them onto the line of liquid acting as his fuse.

And then he will run for the rear exit.

A part of him knows that it is unlikely that his actions will result in a massive fireball that will consume their enemies. But rather he hopes one of two things happens: either they decide pursuit is too costly and back off, or the fire will trigger the Halon fire suppression system and the suppression will chemically displace the breathable oxygen in the area, incapacitating their pursuers.

Perun is aware though that his evidence of smuggling malfeasance is the contents of the warehouse. So if the attackers back off, he will not ignite the fuel, possibly destroying the evidence he needs for justice.
User avatar
Sum of All Fears
Dimension Master
Posts: 351
Joined: Mon Apr 27, 2020 2:24 pm

Re: Detroit: (Supply Depot 3824)

Post by Sum of All Fears »

”DTG” wrote: 27 January 3026
1830 hrs
Winter; 5०F
Clear

After taking a second to tamp down your emotions, looking over to Mr. Park you are relieved to see he seems to be sharing your predicament. Although you feel for him as you watch him tear part of his shirt to wrap and synch down a makeshift bandage over a solid shot in his left arm. You see him grit his teeth as he finishes snitching the bandage and the blood running down his arm seems to slow. The security officer Mr. park brought with him is remarkable. Seemingly laying a high volume of fire with only a pistol. Grabbing one of the smoke grenades several rounds skip off the lid as you raise it. Your first thrown is quite well aimed and your grenade rolls to the feet of the centermost man who freezes for a fatal moment in his advance. With his focus drawn the grenade Mr. Park's security officer drops a pair of shots into his chest dropping him on the spot.

You roll the grenades to Mr. Park and his security officer. They both nod in understanding. The fire lets up for a moment before continuing. Taking this opportunity Mr. Park and the security officer lob the grenades in front of them and smoke quickly obscures everyone's view of the front. This in turn only increases the volume of gunfire coming form the pirates, but luckily decreases any accuracy.

You meet up with Mr. park and the security officer near the petrol barrels. "We need to get to the main communication station. Personal radios seem to be jammed!" Both of them turn to look at you as you shoot the barrels, spilling their contents across the floor. Mr. Park gives you a grim nod as he understands what your doing. The security officer is still occasionally sending shots back towards the front to prevent anyone from attempting to push up too quickly and return fire is concentrated close to him. The security officer is keeping away from the two of you to keep the fire from targeting you.

After a few minutes you are able to light the fuel fuse you made and quickly escape out the back to the warehouse as the fire sets off the Halon system.
Mr. Park is out of breath, "I'm...Sorry...I hadn't...anticipated this...Barus...I'm sorry!" His head bows low. But you know you are not out of the woods yet. The pirates are only on the other side of the building. While its a large building its not insurmountable.

As you take stock of the situation the roar of landing craft's engines fill your ears drowning out the fire alarm. As your hope for reinforcements rises, it is almost as quickly dashed as you spot the pirate markings on the side of the Leopard dropship touching down on the other side of the warehouse. You hear the distinct sound of Mech's disembarking and entering the warehouse. The security guard takes a risk and peaks back into the warehouse. He returns quickly. "It looks like they have industrial mech's loading the supplies into the drop ship. There is a single Locust providing over watch. Too much for us to handle on foot.
Mr. Park looks pensive before looking to Perun, "Can you pilot a mech? There is an emergency mech stationed nearby. A shadow hawk if memory serves. If you take out the Locust you can disrupt their operation and keep them from hunting us down." Mr. Park points to a set of double doors on the west wall 400m from your location. He looks hopeful and listens to Your response.

Well you're still alive! Way to use your brains! Now what? Vengeance?
BattleTech DM / Chaos Earth DM / Megaversal Arena Coordinator

"Any problem can be solved with the judicious application of high explosives."

Other Accounts: Wolf Whitaker (Roughnecks); Keiko (H4H); Talon (PW: GA); Lynch (Spooks)
User avatar
Perun
Posts: 13
Joined: Wed May 01, 2024 3:22 pm

Re: Detroit: (Supply Depot 3824)

Post by Perun »

=======================
Perception: 3d6-L+4: [4, 6, 5]-L+4 = 15 / (7 Base TN)
JIC: 2d6: [3, 4] = 7
JIC: 2d6: [1, 5] = 6

Active Effects: (Good Vision, Good Hearing, Patient)
=======================
Sum of All Fears wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2024 3:30 pmMr. Park is out of breath, "I'm...Sorry...I hadn't...anticipated this...Barus...I'm sorry!" His head bows low. But you know you are not out of the woods yet. The pirates are only on the other side of the building. While its a large building its not insurmountable.
Perun's lips press together thinly. The life or death situation had swept away his tremendous grief of the loss of his assistant in a wave of focus and adrenaline. But Mr. Park's apology now brought it crashing back on him. "We honor his sacrifice by making it out alive and bringing justice to the criminals who turned smuggling to murder this day." Perun responds, trying to muster his bravest voice despite his wellspring of emotions causing his voice to crack.
Sum of All Fears wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2024 3:30 pmThe security guard takes a risk and peaks back into the warehouse. He returns quickly. "It looks like they have industrial mech's loading the supplies into the drop ship. There is a single Locust providing over watch. Too much for us to handle on foot.
Mr. Park looks pensive before looking to Perun, "Can you pilot a mech? There is an emergency mech stationed nearby. A shadow hawk if memory serves. If you take out the Locust you can disrupt their operation and keep them from hunting us down." Mr. Park points to a set of double doors on the west wall 400m from your location. He looks hopeful and listens to Your response.
"I can." Perun states plainly. He does not mention that his experience has been limited to simulators and book-study of technical readouts. Nor does he bring up his instinctive concern that the 'emergency' mech may not be loaded with its full kit. Shadow Hawk 2H have both missiles and ballistic weapons. The ammunition feeding both may not be pre-loaded for safety sake. Or if it has been pre-loaded, there may be a chance that the propellant has expired if the mech has not undergone proper maintenance. But something is better than nothing for sure.

"I will mount up and engage. Use the distraction to extract yourselves to the main communication station you mentioned before and call for help." Perun suggests as he rushes off to the double door Mr. Park identified.

Interest/Mech. 2d6+2: [5, 3]+2 = 10

Should he enter the Shadow Hawk without incident, Perun will concern himself with another issue he hadn't thought of before. What if the neural profile from the prior pilot hasn't been erased yet. This could prove to be quite hazardous. But nothing to it, but to mount up and try. If a neural helmet and cooling vest are found in the cockpit, he will exchange his cold-weather garments for the mechwarrior-appropriate attire.

Piloting/Mech. 2d6+2: [4, 1]+2 = 7
Sensor Operations. 2d6+1: [2, 6]+1 = 9

As much as a 55 ton mech can, Perun will try to stealth his way over toward the space between the warehouse and the Leopard drop ship. If he can manage to move undetected, he will make his final move action to be an initiation of his jump jets to leap frog the warehouse and place himself squarely between the Leopard and warehouse (where presumably the Locust is).

And should the opening avail itself, Perun's first action is not to open with weapons fire against the Locust, but rather to run up the ramp and into the Leopard drop ship, expecting the Locust to follow. He intends to narrow the possibility that the light mech is able to utilize space to make the fight harder for him, but rather tries to use the Shadow Hawk's greater mass to make the fight a close quarters melee scrum within the confines of the Leopard cargo bay.
User avatar
Sum of All Fears
Dimension Master
Posts: 351
Joined: Mon Apr 27, 2020 2:24 pm

Re: Detroit: (Supply Depot 3824)

Post by Sum of All Fears »

”DTG” wrote: 27 January 3026
1835 hrs
Winter; 5०F
Clear

Mr. Park looks at you with a grim look. He simply nods at your resolve and takes cover near his security guard, who tosses you a salute, as you take off towards the mech.

Opening the door the lights kick on automatically. The buzzing of the florescent lights hit your ears as you see the Shadow Hawk. It's actually a 2D modal not the 2H you were thinking of initially. You quickly climb up the ramp leading to the top hatch. Dropping in you notice that this mech has been very well cared for. There is not a trace of dust anywhere to be seen. This leads you to believe there should be no issues with the weapons. Who ever has been tasked with the upkeep and maintenance has done a remarkable job.

As you strap in and start it up you are greeted by a familiar sound, "REACTOR...ONLINE...WEAPONS...ONLINE...SENSORS...ONLINE...ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL." The reactor humms beneath you as you make your way out of the hanger. As you approach the rear of the storage hanger you know there is no way for the mech to clear it in a single jump. You also remember that the pirates will likely have seen the sensor bloom when the fusion reactor came online. They know you're coming. Jumping up to the top of the building to give yourself a better look and advantageous firing position, you can spot the industrial mechs moving boxes that are full of holes. You also notice some other red streaks on the ground between the storage bay and the drop ship. However your attention is ripped to the Locust as it looks right at you. You also pick up on several turrets on the dropship. They haven't moved yet, but you do recall there are serious anti-mech/personnel equipment and weapon systems in dropships so you rethink storming the dropship alone.

Currently the industrial mechs are below you trying to get out of the way and the Locust seems to be waiting to see if you come down from your perch or not. You can tell from looking at it the Locust is a 1E modal with a pair of medium and a pair of Small lasers. You can also tell it has not been well maintained. It still shows damage to it's armor in places. Melted furrows from laser strikes can be see across it's left side and arm.
Supply Depot Fight Turn 1.png
Time for COMBAT!!!
BattleTech DM / Chaos Earth DM / Megaversal Arena Coordinator

"Any problem can be solved with the judicious application of high explosives."

Other Accounts: Wolf Whitaker (Roughnecks); Keiko (H4H); Talon (PW: GA); Lynch (Spooks)
User avatar
Perun
Posts: 13
Joined: Wed May 01, 2024 3:22 pm

Re: Detroit: (Supply Depot 3824)

Post by Perun »

=======================
Perception: 3d6-L+4: [4, 1, 4]-L+4 = 12 / (7 Base TN)
JIC: 2d6: [4, 3] = 7
JIC: 2d6: [2, 3] = 5

Active Effects: (Good Vision, Good Hearing, Patient)
=======================
Sum of All Fears wrote: Sun Jul 14, 2024 11:45 am Opening the door the lights kick on automatically. The buzzing of the florescent lights hit your ears as you see the Shadow Hawk. It's actually a 2D modal not the 2H you were thinking of initially.
Damn. I will need to be a lot more careful with my positioning. The 2D may pack a bigger punch, able to fire more of the weapons at a time, but has significantly less armor.
Sum of All Fears wrote: Sun Jul 14, 2024 11:45 amDropping in you notice that this mech has been very well cared for. There is not a trace of dust anywhere to be seen. This leads you to believe there should be no issues with the weapons. Who ever has been tasked with the upkeep and maintenance has done a remarkable job.

As you strap in and start it up you are greeted by a familiar sound, "REACTOR...ONLINE...WEAPONS...ONLINE...SENSORS...ONLINE...ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL."
"Oh goodness... Whoever your mech-tech is has you all dressed for the prom. Certainly wants you to get out there and show your moves." Perun coos, before blinking and realizing the absurdity of his talking to the 55 ton behemoth. But he begins to understand how mech-warriors get attached to their transportation, almost assigning a mystical quality to their attachment.
Sum of All Fears wrote: Sun Jul 14, 2024 11:45 amCurrently the industrial mechs are below you trying to get out of the way and the Locust seems to be waiting to see if you come down from your perch or not.
Looking out at the enemies arrayed before him, he realizes the pendulum swing of which direction this battle might swing being dependent on how combat effective the industrial mechs are in a pinch.

He keys his mic and switches the comms to the shadow hawk's loud speakers.

"This is Vanto Perun of the Detroit Planetary Defense Force. You stand in violation of DPL Code 18 section 545. Your equipment is forfeit. But your lives need not be. Power down immediately, surrender and face justice. Any other action will be considered aggressive and met with lethal force. Be sensible, no point in dying today."

By Perun's measure, his ultimatum is not about pure bravado, but rather to maximize his chances for surviving by asking any of his foes that do not want to fight, not to fight. He is no fool though and knows the hard realities of combat in the periphery, so is prepared to open fire at the slightest provocation. Without more information than he has currently, he is prepared to set the Locust as his primary target and any industrial mechs that do not comply with power-down and surrender as secondary targets.

And there is the red streak... interesting. I wonder if it is... Is it flammable? Can't test that quite yet. I need to give them a fair chance to surrender first.

===============
Combat:
Turn 1:
Init: 2d6: [1, 2] = 3 <== Potentially delay. First shots as reaction to enemy actions. If they are all complying with power-down and surrender, do not engage in hostilities prematurely.

Movement: (Declare your movement for this turn) This will be based on your vehicle data sheet.

None. Remain on rooftop, plainly visible at current position

Attacks: Declare your target. Add any bonuses or negatives from your movement/line of sight/Heat/or other modifiers. (Note: Do not add Enemy movement to your TN. That will be calculated by the GM and added to your TN during the GM post rollup)

Targeting: Locust (Primary@9 hex distance):

AC/5: 2d6+2: [4, 3]+2 = 9
Medium Laser: 2d6+2: [2, 6]+2 = 10
Medium Laser: 2d6+2: [3, 2]+2 = 7
SRM 2: 2d6+2: [2, 2]+2 = 6
SRM 2: 2d6+2: [5, 5]+2 = 12

Alternate Target: Include up to two alternate targets. You may include separate rolls or indicate you are using your primary target rolls for these targets.

Targeting: Industrial mech closest to drop ship that does not comply with power down and surrender and is within 14 hex distance for medium range.

LRM 5: 2d6+2: [2, 3]+2 = 7

Contingencies: Include no more than 3 sensor check rolls. No more than 4 pilot check rolls. (You may also include any situational contingencies as well. Such as: If mech weapons are destroyed. Move behind cover. Things like that.)

If under assault by many sources (e.g. dropship weapons), jump jet to other side of warehouse (putting warehouse between enemy and himself).
- If this is the case, divert final SRM 2 that would target the locust instead with targeting the red streak on the ground

Pilot/Mech: 2d6+2: [1, 4]+2 = 7
Sensor Operations: 2d6+1: [1, 1]+1 = 3
Sensor Operations: 2d6+1: [3, 1]+1 = 5

Turn 2:
Init: 2d6: [6, 4] = 10


Movement: (Declare your movement for this turn) This will be based on your vehicle data sheet.

Move (one hex?) to edge of building in direction of (presumably approaching) Locust

Attacks: Declare your target. Add any bonuses or negatives from your movement/line of sight/Heat/or other modifiers. (Note: Do not add Enemy movement to your TN. That will be calculated by the GM and added to your TN during the GM post rollup)

Targeting: Locust (Primary):

AC/5: 2d6+2-1: [2, 4]+2-1 = 7
Medium Laser: 2d6+2-1: [4, 6]+2-1 = 11
Medium Laser: 2d6+2-1: [5, 5]+2-1 = 11
SRM 2: 2d6+2-1: [3, 2]+2-1 = 6
SRM 2: 2d6+2-1: [3, 6]+2-1 = 10

Alternate Target: Include up to two alternate targets. You may include separate rolls or indicate you are using your primary target rolls for these targets.

Targeting: Industrial mech closest to drop ship that does not comply with power down and surrender and is within 14 hex distance for medium range.

LRM 5: 2d6+2-1: [2, 1]+2-1 = 4

Contingencies: Include no more than 3 sensor check rolls. No more than 4 pilot check rolls. (You may also include any situational contingencies as well. Such as: If mech weapons are destroyed. Move behind cover. Things like that.)

Kick contingency (if Locust runs up to point blank range) Pilot/Mech: 2d6+2: [5, 4]+2 = 11

If under assault by many sources (e.g. dropship weapons), jump jet to other side of warehouse (putting warehouse between enemy and himself).
- If this is the case (and red line wasn't struck in turn 1), divert final SRM 2 that would target the locust instead with targeting the red streak on the ground

Pilot/Mech: 2d6+2: [2, 3]+2 = 7
Sensor Operations: 2d6+1: [3, 6]+1 = 10
Sensor Operations: 2d6+1: [3, 1]+1 = 5
User avatar
Sum of All Fears
Dimension Master
Posts: 351
Joined: Mon Apr 27, 2020 2:24 pm

Re: Detroit: (Supply Depot 3824)

Post by Sum of All Fears »

”DTG” wrote: 27 January 3026
1835 hrs
Winter; 5०F
Clear
Perun’s declaration is greeted by laser fire from the Locust and a radio message coming from the dropship. He recognizes the voice from the dropship as Chief Grimes. ”Awe such unreasonable and rigid adherence to protocol. Such a disappointment. The radio cuts out as the Locust fires on Perun. The green hue of medium lasers flash past his mech and dissipate harmlessly past him.

Perun’s return shots are far more accurate. You watch as your AC/5 shell and two SRMs slam into the Left Torso of the Locust shattering the light armor and blasting into the internal structure of the locust. The green focused laser beam melts nearly all the armor on the right torso with a single strike.

It seems your eyes did not deceive you. The locust is not at full fighting strength.

You continue your assault as the locust moves to close the distance. It opens fire with all it’s weapons yet still the green and red beams flash harmlessly past your mech as the locust seems to be having a hard time lining up such a stationary target.

Your second volley is even more devastating than the first. Your AC/5 shell lands wide as does two of your SMRs, but the rest of your ordnance finds its target. You watch as the energy from your medium laser melts through the left torso. A large explosion of sparks proceeds the left arm and shoulder of the locust dropping to the deck. Your other medium laser melts deep into the structure of the right torso creating rivers of metal pooling on the ground as two of your SRMs slam into the center of the Locust.

The unbalancing from the loss of the torso and the savage attacks cause the Locust to wobble on its feet. Trying to steady itself it topples over crashing to the ground.

As you engage the Locust the industrial mechs have retreated up the ramp into the dropship.

As you line up the Locust once more a voice breaks over the radio. ”Stand Down Perun!” It’s the voice of Chief Grimes again. As you look to the drop ship you spot a pair of Marauder heavies standing in the opening of the dropship. You can tell from the audio that she’s likely in one of those heavies. ”We’ll call it a draw today. I have a feeling we’ll meet on the battlefield again. I’ll even leave you the locust out of respect for what you were able to accomplish.” The doors close as the leopard lifts into the air, ”You were the only one to catch on to the scheme. I look forward to seeing what that intellect looks like on a real battlefield.”

Security forces move in to secure the Locust pilot as you watch the Dropship leave heading east.

You drop down in the ShadowHawk. You quickly exit the mech as the security officers cart off the pirate who was left behind by his fellows. A medic comes over to you, "Sir. We need to check you out. Were you hit any where? Explosions? Impacts to the head? Who's blood is this?" After several minutes of the medics fussing over you, your ears pick up the sound of another dropship coming in. Your muscles tense for a moment before you see the DDF markings. The ship touches down and the ramp lowers but the engines remain on. You eventually hear someone yelling your name. "AGENT PERUN! I NEED AGENT PERUN!" When he locates you, "Please come with me sir. Captain Fisher wants a full debrief. We are in route to pick up the lance that engaged the pirates several kicks away. Please get the Shadowhawk and board the ship."

Congrats on your first Kill! Now what?
You may post a response to the events in this post in the current thread. Once you have please post Here.
BattleTech DM / Chaos Earth DM / Megaversal Arena Coordinator

"Any problem can be solved with the judicious application of high explosives."

Other Accounts: Wolf Whitaker (Roughnecks); Keiko (H4H); Talon (PW: GA); Lynch (Spooks)
Post Reply

Return to “Inner Sphere: Adventures”