Getting Their Bearings: Part Two

BTS2 Adventure Forum
User avatar
Consumer
Dimension Master
Posts: 1995
Joined: Sun Sep 13, 2009 2:26 pm
Location: GM/DM (The Templar, PW: Galactic Rogues, BTS:OGoA)
Contact:

Re: Getting Their Bearings: Part Two

Post by Consumer »

Getting their Bearings: Part Two
Time and Weather wrote:Location: On Route 20, Bellwood, West Virginia
Date: Wednesday, March 22nd, 1925. 12:35 PM (5 minutes has passed)
Weather: 50 degrees Fahrenheit; Raining.
I.S.P. Modifier: x1
Case Notes: The Highway
Zachary: Crime Scene Investigation: Nothing noticed, likely not a crime scene.
Isaiah: Intelligence: [Recognize patterns in the dozens of missing] None noticed with the info at hand.
Research: [Information about the area around Route 20 during the 1850s] None available at the house.
Tracking (People): [Any tracks around the truck, signs of a struggle, etc] If there were any, the weather and lighting have made them unobservable.
Sean: Automobile (identify any possible road hazards that might be causing any of these incidents.) Nothing save the rain and dark being difficulties at the moment.
Automotive Mechanics (identify any mechanical issues with the truck.) From just a brief visual look, nothing seems wrong.
Olfactory Smells and Omens: Nothing.
Jake: Wilderness Survival Not really sure what Jake is looking for here, but he doesn’t notice anything.


A Path Least Taken

The rain continues to fall as the group slows and parks after Isaiah points out the vehicle in the brush nearby. The rest can marvel that anyone noticed anything at all as they get out in the dark and pouring rain to investigate. It seems to be universal as the group walks over towards the beat up truck. The group prepares to investigate the vehicle when both Sean and Zachary notice that there is someone sitting in it, and they seem to be watching the group approach. The rolled down window allows the individual, face shrouded in darkness, to speak up. ”Can I help you?” The voice says, it’s soft and mild timbred.

What Are Your Intentions?

Zachary: HP: 42/42, S.D.C. 29/29, I.S.P.: 9/9
Sean: HP:18/18, S.D.C.: 50/50, I.S.P.: 12/12
Isaiah: HP: 16/16, S.D.C.: 29/29, I.S.P.: 13/13
Violet: HP: 16/16, S.D.C.: 36/36, I.S.P.: 9/9
Jake HP: 16/16, S.D.C. 70/70, I.S.P.: 3/11
"All things age. All things die. In the end, our sun burns out. Our universe grows cold and perishes. But the Dark Dimension, it’s the place beyond time."
GM of The Templar, Phase World: Galactic Rogues, Beyond the Supernatural: Old Gods of Appalachia
PP Ledger
User avatar
Sean Burke
Posts: 46
Joined: Tue Jul 11, 2023 10:47 am

Re: Getting Their Bearings: Part Two

Post by Sean Burke »

Perception: 30% vs 1d100: [44] = 44
JIC: 1d20: [11] = 11 and 1d100: [84] = 84
Conditions: None

Skills
Automotive Mechanics 76% vs 1d100: [95] = 95 - contingency look under the hood and see if he can fix the truck.

Post

 
Consumer wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 5:44 pm The rolled down window allows the individual, face shrouded in darkness, to speak up. ”Can I help you?” The voice says, it’s soft and mild timbred.
Sean walks toward the window casually, feeling comfortable this person isn't a threat. He smiles holding his hand about his eyes to block the rain, "Seems we were just about to ask you the same question. You broke down? Can we lend a hand?"

Sean looks left and right as to observe the weather and adds, "It's a pretty shite night to breakdown." Waiting for the man's response Sean considers, could just be a coincidence... sitting, late at night, in the middle of nowhere... Sean shakes some of the water from his face and hair, best not mention the missing folks just yet. Could be this is the source, just a good ole fashioned killer.

Sean looks back at the sedan remembering that his bat and revolver are both in his truck back at the house. Turning back to the truck he tries to get a good look at the individual inside.

Contingencies

If the man mentions that he is broken down...

Sean offers to take a look at the engine to see if he can get the truck started. "I know a little about these kinds of things, I can take a look."
User avatar
Jake Foster
Posts: 20
Joined: Tue Nov 21, 2023 9:17 am

Re: Getting Their Bearings: Part Two

Post by Jake Foster »

Perception: d100: [29] = 29 (see post signature)
JIC: d20: [3] = 3 -- d100: [80] = 80
(Open to Supernatural)
===
Consumer wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 5:44 pm The rolled down window allows the individual, face shrouded in darkness, to speak up. ”Can I help you?” The voice says, it’s soft and mild timbred.
Back by the car, Jake reaches into his bag and eases the hand axe out a bit out of his bag to be more easily accessible. He doesn't like this one damn bit. Finding a random stranger on a dark and stormy night on a haunted road sounded like the opening of one of his grandad's campfire stories.

He keeps the rifle lowered to reduce his profile as he stands in the rain, ready for anything.
Last edited by Jake Foster on Mon Apr 22, 2024 2:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Character Sheet: viewtopic.php?p=1397296#p1397296
I.Q.: 9
M.E.: 16
M.A.: 9
P.S.: 18
P.P.: 12
P.E.: 18
P.B.: 7
Speed: 9

PHYSICAL DATA
P.P.E.: 5
I.S.P.: 11 (+2 / level) (Multiplied by x2/x4/etc vs higher supernatural threats)
H.P.: 16 + 1D6/level
S.D.C.: 70
Age: 29
Sex: Male
Height: 5'9"
Weight: 190
Description: Caucasian, rough around the edges, sandy blonde hair and beard.
30% (+3%) / 50% (Sixth Sense) / 65% (Open to Supernatural)
Sense Supernatural Evil (Range: 300 ft + 50/level)
Sense fluxes of > 20 PPE Range: 600 ft + 100/level) (Open to Supernatural)
Recognizes Possession - Base Skill: 50% (+5%)
Recognizes Magic Enchantment - 30% (+5%)
+ 10% if the magic is evil/hurtful
+ 20% when possessed by an evil supernatural being.

HTH Type: Basic
Number of Attacks: 5
Initiative Bonus: +6 (Sixth Sense)
Strike Bonus:
Parry Bonus: +2 / +4 (Sixth Sense)
Dodge Bonus: +2 / +5 (Sixth Sense)
HTH Damage Bonus: +3
Bonus to Roll w/Punch: +4
Bonus to Pull a Punch: +2
Bonus to Disarm:
Other: When using any powers: No initiative roll, only 4 Attacks per melee

Weapon Proficiencies
W.P. Knife +1 to strike at levels 2, 4, 7, 10, and 13. +1 to parry at levels, 1, 3, 6, 9, and 12. +1 to strike when thrown at levels, 1, 3, 6, 8, 10 and 13.
W.P. Rifles +1 to strike at levels 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11, and 13.
Coma/Death: +3
Magic (varies): +5**
Lethal Poison (14+): +3
Non-Lethal Poison (16+): +3
Insanity (10+): +1
Psionics (10+): +1**
Horror Factor (varies): +4
Possession: +4
**+4 to save vs mind-altering drugs, magical charms, and mental confusion.
**-1 to save vs Illusions and Telepathic or Empathic probes and attacks.
User avatar
Zachary Splindt
Posts: 135
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2021 3:17 pm

Re: Getting Their Bearings: Part Two

Post by Zachary Splindt »

Perception: 1d100: [40] = 40 (70%)
JIC 1D100: 1d100: [18] = 18
JIC 1D20: 1d20: [13] = 13
Conditions: Closed to the Supernatural
Tracking (People): 1d100: [47] = 47 (60%)

Zachary pulls off his coat to cover his head, hoping to remain at least somewhat dry under the rainfall. As he does so, he catches Sean's mention of Henry. "Henry? I don't see-" begins Zachary, but the detective's thoughts are cut-off upon considering another idea. Ah, an imaginary friend. I suppose we all have our own ways of pondering.
Sean Burke wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 10:07 am
Consumer wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 5:44 pm The rolled down window allows the individual, face shrouded in darkness, to speak up. ”Can I help you?” The voice says, it’s soft and mild timbred.
Sean walks toward the window casually, feeling comfortable this person isn't a threat. He smiles holding his hand about his eyes to block the rain, "Seems we were just about to ask you the same question. You broke down? Can we lend a hand?"

Sean looks left and right as to observe the weather and adds, "It's a pretty shite night to breakdown."
"At least you've got cover." adds Zachary as he approaches the conversation. Somewhat distracted by the truck, Zachary tries to examine the ground around the area for tire tracks or footprints (Tracking (People)). "You weren't waiting out the night all alone, were you?" asks Zachary as he continues to check the ground for tracks.
OOC Comments
OOC, this looks suspicious. Zachary would probably be more focused on the car being haunted than the person inside (even if the car is obviously not haunted), so the tracking skill is kind of a bull**** way of checking if there appear to have been more people in the area besides the fellow in the car.
User avatar
Isaiah Peirce
Posts: 34
Joined: Fri Aug 25, 2023 6:58 am

Re: Getting Their Bearings: Part Two

Post by Isaiah Peirce »

Perception: 1d100: [32] = 32 /40%
JiC: 1d20: [12] = 12 / 1d100: [37] = 37

Conditions: Sense Supernatural Evil (350ft) | Sixth Sense (Inactive)

Skills:
Pilot, Automobile: 1d100: [88] = 88 /65% (Visual inspection to see if the truck is likely just turned off.)
Invoke Trust: 1d100: [49] = 49 /35% (You can trust us)

Post:
Random Person wrote:”Can I help you?”
Isaiah looks at the truck then the silhouette of the person within as Sean and Zachary address the individual. Isaiah finds himself slightly offput by the person in the truck just sitting on the notoriously dangerous Route 20. I wonder why this person is just sitting here. Maybe they are looking for someone or something, themselves? Isaiah considers, though doesn't interrupt Sean and Zach as they converse with the random, moreso than Isaiah is actually comfortable. A loner on this route is either suicidal or well prepared. Truck's probably fine, hell, it looks like it's parked not on the side of the road, dead. Isaiah thinks to himself. But if they are here for a reason, I wonder if it's the same reason. He muses to himself.

As Sean and Zachary do their thing and talk, Isaiah stands nearby to observe. His head only looking towards Jake for a brief moment before looking away. Gotta be a military brat or something. He thinks, stepping forward when there is a pause. "Truck looked abandoned when I saw it, sorry for the mix-up. What're you doing out here, anyways?" Isaiah asks sincerely, trying to get an answer.
"You know my problem with gut feelings? Once you have them, all the evidence you see is the evidence that supports your gut feeling. Human nature."
Paranormal Investigator Isaiah S. Peirce | EP Ledger

Important Numbers: Perception 40% | H.P.: 16 | S.D.C: 29 | I.S.P.: 13
Magic (varies): +1
Lethal Poison (14+): +3
Non-Lethal Poison (16+): +3
Insanity (12+): +1
Psionics (10): +3
Horror Factor (varies): +3
Mind Altering effects (magic, mental or drug): +3
User avatar
Consumer
Dimension Master
Posts: 1995
Joined: Sun Sep 13, 2009 2:26 pm
Location: GM/DM (The Templar, PW: Galactic Rogues, BTS:OGoA)
Contact:

Re: Getting Their Bearings: Part Two

Post by Consumer »

Getting their Bearings: Part Two
Time and Weather wrote:Location: On Route 20, Bellwood, West Virginia
Date: Wednesday, March 22nd, 1925. 12:40 PM (5 minutes has passed)
Weather: 50 degrees Fahrenheit; Raining.
I.S.P. Modifier: x1
Case Notes: The Highway
Zachary: Tracking (People) The rain makes everything hard to see, on top of the fact it is very dark being that it is midnight and there are a lack of active light sources in the area in question. -10% for Night, -15% for torrential rain ~Consumer
Isiah: Pilot, Automobile: (Visual inspection to see if the truck is likely just turned off.) Seems plausible enough, but Isiah isn’t 100% sure.


The rain continues to pour as the scene unfolds. The investigators one by one become soaked by the downpour. They almost as a group approach the parked truck trying to discern what it means, and the surprising revelation that there is someone in the vehicle has seemingly thrown most of the investigators on edge.
Sean wrote:"Seems we were just about to ask you the same question. You broke down? Can we lend a hand? It's a pretty shite night to breakdown."
The man in the truck makes a sucking sound, the kind one makes when sucking spit off of one’s teeth. Nope, parked here on purpose, but yeah, it would be a bad night to break down.” The man says in his soft timbre voice. Sean tries to see the man’s face in the rain and gloom, but the environmental conditions just seems to be working against him.
Zachary wrote:"At least you've got cover. You weren't waiting out the night all alone, were you?"
The man chuckles softly from his shadowy seat inside the truck. ”Yeah, nice to keep the rain off my head. No, I’ve only been here about an hour.” The man says. As Zachary tries in vain to spot any tracks in what can only be described as impossible conditions.

From Jake’s vantage point at the car, he barely can see what is going on, but he can suppose that the upside is that the person in the car can likely not see him very well as well. Isaiah, the last member of the investigators, approaches the truck as well. A brief glance at the vehicle doesn’t completely confirm his thoughts that it’s just parked here, but the man’s confirmation makes it seem pretty legit.
Isaiah wrote:"Truck looked abandoned when I saw it, sorry for the mix-up. What're you doing out here, anyways?"
The man in the truck seems to pause for a moment, as if he’s observing something the rest of you can’t see. ”I suppose it won’t hurt to say, as you all seem like decent enough folk. Looking for something… been some problems on this road, and I wanted to see if I could spot their source. Now What are you all doing out here, beside questioning folk minding their own business?” The man says.

What Are Your Intentions?

Zachary: HP: 42/42, S.D.C. 29/29, I.S.P.: 9/9
Sean: HP:18/18, S.D.C.: 50/50, I.S.P.: 12/12
Isaiah: HP: 16/16, S.D.C.: 29/29, I.S.P.: 13/13
Jake HP: 16/16, S.D.C. 70/70, I.S.P.: 3/11
"All things age. All things die. In the end, our sun burns out. Our universe grows cold and perishes. But the Dark Dimension, it’s the place beyond time."
GM of The Templar, Phase World: Galactic Rogues, Beyond the Supernatural: Old Gods of Appalachia
PP Ledger
User avatar
Isaiah Peirce
Posts: 34
Joined: Fri Aug 25, 2023 6:58 am

Re: Getting Their Bearings: Part Two

Post by Isaiah Peirce »

Perception: 1d100: [14] = 14 /40%
JiC: 1d20: [17] = 17 / 1d100: [51] = 51

Conditions: Sense Supernatural Evil (350ft) | Sixth Sense (Inactive)

Skills:
Detect Concealment: 1d100: [100] = 100 /55% [Is this Guy hiding something, in his tone or his vehicle][CRIT OF THE CRIT FAILS; Case and Point, Dice hate Isaiah]

Post:

Isaiah glances up at the rain with a bit of an annoyed look, synching his trench coat around him in a pitiful attempt to keep the rest of his body mostly dry. Need to get a raincoat with a hood. Isaiah momentarily thinks. Diving into water, and being in a rainstorm are totally different things. Isaiah finds himself thinking considering he normally has no issue being soaked. Isaiah listens to the man as he speaks. Hmm, seems to be sort of like us. That's not always a good thing, but it's better than it being a monster or cop. Isaiah muses.
Guy wrote:”I suppose it won’t hurt to say, as you all seem like decent enough folk. Looking for something… been some problems on this road, and I wanted to see if I could spot their source. Now What are you all doing out here, beside questioning folk minding their own business?”
Isaiah nods through the rain. "Looking for something ourselves. This road is dangerous and people go missing on it more than they should. We want to know why." Isaiah states, not hiding their intentions though not being immediately open with the man. "Name's Isaiah. So, if you know of the road's problems, why are you out here alone? Seems risky." Isaiah asks through squinted eyes. Almost like this guy wants to be the next victim? Just sitting in his truck, watching and waiting for the the bump in the night.
"You know my problem with gut feelings? Once you have them, all the evidence you see is the evidence that supports your gut feeling. Human nature."
Paranormal Investigator Isaiah S. Peirce | EP Ledger

Important Numbers: Perception 40% | H.P.: 16 | S.D.C: 29 | I.S.P.: 13
Magic (varies): +1
Lethal Poison (14+): +3
Non-Lethal Poison (16+): +3
Insanity (12+): +1
Psionics (10): +3
Horror Factor (varies): +3
Mind Altering effects (magic, mental or drug): +3
User avatar
Sean Burke
Posts: 46
Joined: Tue Jul 11, 2023 10:47 am

Re: Getting Their Bearings: Part Two

Post by Sean Burke »

Perception: 30% vs 1d100: [12] = 12
JIC: 1d20: [1] = 1 and 1d100: [44] = 44
Conditions: None

Skills


Post
Consumer wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 6:57 am The man in the truck seems to pause for a moment, as if he’s observing something the rest of you can’t see. ”I suppose it won’t hurt to say, as you all seem like decent enough folk. Looking for something… been some problems on this road, and I wanted to see if I could spot their source. Now what are you all doing out here, beside questioning folk minding their own business?” The man says.
Sean chuckles at the remark lightly and likely inaudibly with the rain. Your own business... seems like it is other folks business you are minded too.
Isaiah Peirce wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 10:12 am Isaiah nods through the rain. "Looking for something ourselves. This road is dangerous, and people go missing on it more than they should. We want to know why." Isaiah states, not hiding their intentions though not being immediately open with the man. "Name's Isaiah. So, if you know of the road's problems, why are you out here alone? Seems risky."
Sean looks up briefly, not much getting solved in weather like this. He turns to the man in the truck adding, "Sounds like we may have similar interests in this road. Maybe we could get out of the rain and share what we know about these events."

Sean considers the man's earlier comment again, Maybe one of these missing persons is the man's kin... Letting the thoughts trail off he finishes, "I'm heading back to the car. It's raining Cats and Dogs... we won't find many clues in this." Sean makes his way back to the car to get shelter from the rain, leaving Isaih to finalize the details about going somewhere to talk.
User avatar
Jake Foster
Posts: 20
Joined: Tue Nov 21, 2023 9:17 am

Re: Getting Their Bearings: Part Two

Post by Jake Foster »

Perception: d100: [51] = 51 (see post signature)
JIC: d20: [4] = 4 -- d100: [6] = 6
(Open to Supernatural)
===
Jesus, has the rain let up at all today?

Jake stands hunched under his poncho. He's no stranger to long hours trying to stay focused on a downpour, though it's not something anyone ever just gets used to. He squints as the silhouettes by the parked car take on a more relaxed posture.
Sean Burke wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 8:36 am Sean makes his way back to the car to get shelter from the rain, leaving Isaih to finalize the details about going somewhere to talk.
"Everything alright?" Jake asks.

(Assuming Sean answers in the affirmative and fills him in on what the stranger said)... "Huh. Here we did all this prep and research while somebody else just said f*&# it and just drove out here in the middle of the night. Which one of us is the dumbass?" He glances skyward, searching his memory for a bit of
=>60% d100: [65] = 65
((but fails the roll))
Character Sheet: viewtopic.php?p=1397296#p1397296
I.Q.: 9
M.E.: 16
M.A.: 9
P.S.: 18
P.P.: 12
P.E.: 18
P.B.: 7
Speed: 9

PHYSICAL DATA
P.P.E.: 5
I.S.P.: 11 (+2 / level) (Multiplied by x2/x4/etc vs higher supernatural threats)
H.P.: 16 + 1D6/level
S.D.C.: 70
Age: 29
Sex: Male
Height: 5'9"
Weight: 190
Description: Caucasian, rough around the edges, sandy blonde hair and beard.
30% (+3%) / 50% (Sixth Sense) / 65% (Open to Supernatural)
Sense Supernatural Evil (Range: 300 ft + 50/level)
Sense fluxes of > 20 PPE Range: 600 ft + 100/level) (Open to Supernatural)
Recognizes Possession - Base Skill: 50% (+5%)
Recognizes Magic Enchantment - 30% (+5%)
+ 10% if the magic is evil/hurtful
+ 20% when possessed by an evil supernatural being.

HTH Type: Basic
Number of Attacks: 5
Initiative Bonus: +6 (Sixth Sense)
Strike Bonus:
Parry Bonus: +2 / +4 (Sixth Sense)
Dodge Bonus: +2 / +5 (Sixth Sense)
HTH Damage Bonus: +3
Bonus to Roll w/Punch: +4
Bonus to Pull a Punch: +2
Bonus to Disarm:
Other: When using any powers: No initiative roll, only 4 Attacks per melee

Weapon Proficiencies
W.P. Knife +1 to strike at levels 2, 4, 7, 10, and 13. +1 to parry at levels, 1, 3, 6, 9, and 12. +1 to strike when thrown at levels, 1, 3, 6, 8, 10 and 13.
W.P. Rifles +1 to strike at levels 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11, and 13.
Coma/Death: +3
Magic (varies): +5**
Lethal Poison (14+): +3
Non-Lethal Poison (16+): +3
Insanity (10+): +1
Psionics (10+): +1**
Horror Factor (varies): +4
Possession: +4
**+4 to save vs mind-altering drugs, magical charms, and mental confusion.
**-1 to save vs Illusions and Telepathic or Empathic probes and attacks.
User avatar
Zachary Splindt
Posts: 135
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2021 3:17 pm

Re: Getting Their Bearings: Part Two

Post by Zachary Splindt »

Perception: 1d100: [1] = 1 (26%)
JIC 1D100: 1d100: [2] = 2
JIC 1D20: 1d20: [3] = 3
Conditions: Closed to the Supernatural

Seeing no sign of human footprints, tire tracks, or much of anything on the muddy ground, Zachary refocussed his attention to the stranger in the truck.
Isaiah Peirce wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 10:12 am"Looking for something ourselves. This road is dangerous and people go missing on it more than they should. We want to know why." Isaiah states. "Name's Isaiah. So, if you know of the road's problems, why are you out here alone? Seems risky." Isaiah asks through squinted eyes.
Zachary slowly nods as he listens to Isaiah’s wording. Guess we’re getting right to the point. thinks Zachary to himself as he begins to speak. “Name’s Zachary, although Isaiah pretty much explained the current situation we’re in. We heard about the strange disappearances secondhand from another acquaintance of ours. Can’t say we’ve actually tried driving through this neck of the road before.” Zachary steals a glance down the highway, or as best of a glance he can make through the rain before turning back to the stranger. Wonder if I can reframe this another way, to get this fella to open up a bit. Maybe if we can use that common ground… Offering a grin, Zachary continues. “Am I right in thinking you have a curiosity with this sort of thing as well? Seems like you beat us to the punch, though I hear these disappearances have been going on for some time. Have you investigating it for a while? Any methods you’ve tried so far?” Zachary quickly stops himself before he continues his questioning. Seems I’m getting myself all excited now.Sorry for all the questions, especially after having disturbed you like that. Hope you’ll indulge a fella’s morbid curiosity.
User avatar
Consumer
Dimension Master
Posts: 1995
Joined: Sun Sep 13, 2009 2:26 pm
Location: GM/DM (The Templar, PW: Galactic Rogues, BTS:OGoA)
Contact:

Re: Getting Their Bearings: Part Two

Post by Consumer »

Getting their Bearings: Part Two
Time and Weather wrote:Location: On Route 20, Bellwood, West Virginia
Date: Wednesday, March 22nd, 1925. 12:50 PM (10 minutes has passed)
Weather: 50 degrees Fahrenheit; Raining.
I.S.P. Modifier: x1
Case Notes: The Highway
Isaiah: Detect Concealment [Is this Guy hiding something, in his tone or his vehicle] He’s completely harmless as far as Isiah can tell.


The rain continues to pour as the investigators try to make sense of the man in the truck, whom they still haven’t gotten a clear look at. Isaiah is the first to speak up, even offering his name in the process.
Isaiah wrote:"Looking for something ourselves. This road is dangerous and people go missing on it more than they should. We want to know why. Name's Isaiah. So, if you know of the road's problems, why are you out here alone? Seems risky."
A chuckle comes out of the truck. ”Well Isaiah, that is certainly a question to be asked. Though I don’t think I trust you enough to answer it, given we have just met. Just know, I am aware there has been problems on this road… not enough to bring in bigger concerns, but enough that when you look at patterns, there is something there. I also am aware that there is a certain level of risk, and have precautions in place.” The man says, still not having given his name. Sean speaks up next, bring the man’s attention to him.
Sean wrote:"Sounds like we may have similar interests in this road. Maybe we could get out of the rain and share what we know about these events. I'm heading back to the car. It's raining Cats and Dogs... we won't find many clues in this."
The man sighs. ”Maybe, but not tonight. Too late to be traveling all willy-nilly. You have a spot in mind to meet, say tomorrow afternoon?” The man says. Zachary adds to the conversation.
Zachary wrote:Name’s Zachary, although Isaiah pretty much explained the current situation we’re in. We heard about the strange disappearances secondhand from another acquaintance of ours. Can’t say we’ve actually tried driving through this neck of the road before. Am I right in thinking you have a curiosity with this sort of thing as well? Seems like you beat us to the punch, though I hear these disappearances have been going on for some time. Have you investigating it for a while? Any methods you’ve tried so far? Sorry for all the questions, especially after having disturbed you like that. Hope you’ll indulge a fella’s morbid curiosity.
Another sigh. ”As I said, I don’t know you folk, and while I can tell you’re not bad people, it doesn't mean I quite trust you at the moment. As I told your other friend, I am willing to meet you at a place of your choosing tomorrow, and maybe we can discuss what is going on. So no I’m not going to indulge your morbid curiosity now in the wee hours of the night in a torrential downpour. As a matter of fact I will be leaving here shortly because your presence likely spoiled any possible finds.” The man says. Whether the group picks a spot to meet the mysterious man, or not, he does eventually start up his truck and drive off.
Back at the car, Jake asks what happened. And grumbles about what he hears.
Jake wrote:"Everything alright? Huh. Here we did all this prep and research while somebody else just said f*&# it and just drove out here in the middle of the night. Which one of us is the dumbass?"
This leaves the investigators alone on the empty stretch Route 20. It also leaves most of the crew soaking wet, and weary from a long day. Jake is likely particularly tired given he has work in about four hours.

What Are Your Intentions?

Zachary: HP: 42/42, S.D.C. 29/29, I.S.P.: 9/9
Sean: HP:18/18, S.D.C.: 50/50, I.S.P.: 12/12
Isaiah: HP: 16/16, S.D.C.: 29/29, I.S.P.: 13/13
Jake HP: 16/16, S.D.C. 70/70, I.S.P.: 3/11
"All things age. All things die. In the end, our sun burns out. Our universe grows cold and perishes. But the Dark Dimension, it’s the place beyond time."
GM of The Templar, Phase World: Galactic Rogues, Beyond the Supernatural: Old Gods of Appalachia
PP Ledger
User avatar
Sean Burke
Posts: 46
Joined: Tue Jul 11, 2023 10:47 am

Re: Getting Their Bearings: Part Two

Post by Sean Burke »

Perception: 30% vs 1d100: [71] = 71
JIC: 1d20: [17] = 17 and 1d100: [44] = 44
Conditions: None

Skills


Post
Consumer wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 7:14 am The man sighs. ”Maybe, but not tonight. Too late to be traveling all willy-nilly. You have a spot in mind to meet, say tomorrow afternoon?” The man says.
Sean offers a quick reply, "Do you know Carl's? 6 pm? Some of us have work, so..."


Standing outside the car after the man leaves

Shaking his head he considers to himself, This is shite. Looking up at the rain he sighs, "We should head back to the house. Not much more we can learn tonight. I for one would like to get out of these wet cloths."

Sean makes his way to the driver's seat wondering, Where do we look next? We have some clippings... but we need to learn more. Maybe history of the land?

Once everyone is back in the car Sean will ask the group, "So where do we go from here? Obviously... home. But what is our next step? This man might have some new information, but we can't assume it is anything we don't already know. ." Allowing the others to speak he puts the car in drive and starts the trek back to the manor.
User avatar
Isaiah Peirce
Posts: 34
Joined: Fri Aug 25, 2023 6:58 am

Re: Getting Their Bearings: Part Two

Post by Isaiah Peirce »

Perception: 1d100: [34] = 34 /40%
JiC: 1d20: [11] = 11 / 1d100: [70] = 70

Conditions: Sense Supernatural Evil (350ft) | Sixth Sense (Inactive)

Skills:
Lore, Superstitions: 1d100: [22] = 22 /50% [Isaiah is thinking on superstitions he's heard of that have happened after humans moved into a certain area to expand on his internal thoughts.]

Post:
Sean Burke wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 8:56 am
Mysterious Stranger wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 7:14 am The man sighs. ”Maybe, but not tonight. Too late to be traveling all willy-nilly. You have a spot in mind to meet, say tomorrow afternoon?” The man says.
Sean offers a quick reply, "Do you know Carl's? 6 pm? Some of us have work, so..."
The fact this mystery stranger didn't reveal his name to the group is not lost on Isaiah as he declines answering here and instead suggests meeting up tomorrow. When Sean answers, Isaiah nods and feels no real need to try saying else to the mysterious stranger assuming he accepts Carl's Diner as a good spot. 6PM at the diner may be it's busy time. Hopefully that means we can find a booth and everyone will be focused on their own meals to care too much. Isaiah thinks to himself, not really wanting to have such a discussion in public but also not wanting to invite the stranger to where they sleep. Not yet.
Sean wrote:"So where do we go from here? Obviously... home. But what is our next step? This man might have some new information, but we can't assume it is anything we don't already know. ."
Isaiah climbs in the car behind the driver's seat of the car and pulls out his notebook, writing down the interaction as Sean speaks. "That's assuming he doesn't know anything at all, and he was here alone and certainly wasn't lacking confidence. Best go into this meeting with an open mind." Isaiah counters. "I think he might be related in some way to one of the more recent victims, or something else that makes him care enough to risk himself. Wish he told us his name, at least." Isaiah adds. As they make their way back to the home, Isaiah contemplates. I wonder if the house has any more books or other resources. A few newspaper articles aren't a whole lot to go on; there has to be a reason for the disappearances. There's usually a reason... hardly ever a good one... but it's there to be found. Isaiah thinks to himself, his investigative nature wanting to know more about the root cause than simply stopping it.

Mid drive, he'll speak up again. "I think the next step is figuring out why it happens. There is something about that road, and it takes back for years. I wouldn't be surprised if it started around the time the road was paved... but that's just a feeling.. Maybe the house has more information about the lay of the land before it was paved. We need to determine why as much as we need to stop it." Isaiah says, expanding on his internal thoughts.
"You know my problem with gut feelings? Once you have them, all the evidence you see is the evidence that supports your gut feeling. Human nature."
Paranormal Investigator Isaiah S. Peirce | EP Ledger

Important Numbers: Perception 40% | H.P.: 16 | S.D.C: 29 | I.S.P.: 13
Magic (varies): +1
Lethal Poison (14+): +3
Non-Lethal Poison (16+): +3
Insanity (12+): +1
Psionics (10): +3
Horror Factor (varies): +3
Mind Altering effects (magic, mental or drug): +3
User avatar
Jake Foster
Posts: 20
Joined: Tue Nov 21, 2023 9:17 am

Re: Getting Their Bearings: Part Two

Post by Jake Foster »

Perception: d100: [40] = 40 (see post signature)
JIC: d20: [20] = 20 -- d100: [74] = 74
(Open to Supernatural)
===
Sean Burke wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 8:56 am Looking up at the rain he sighs, "We should head back to the house. Not much more we can learn tonight. I for one would like to get out of these wet clothes."

Once everyone is back in the car Sean will ask the group, "So where do we go from here? Obviously... home. But what is our next step? This man might have some new information, but we can't assume it is anything we don't already know. ." Allowing the others to speak he puts the car in drive and starts the trek back to the manor.
Jake can't help but regard Sean a bit funny for not being prepared. "There's a place in town you can get yourself a poncho."

He awkwardly climbs back into the car. "I thought that's what you were doing back at the house while I was gone. That big library has to have something. All I know is I've got work in a few hours. And we really need a bigger ride if we're all going to run field missions like this." He scrunches his shoulders as if to illustrate, mindful of his hunting rifle.

He tries to think of any old-timers in the area who might be a good source of local lore that he could talk to.
Character Sheet: viewtopic.php?p=1397296#p1397296
I.Q.: 9
M.E.: 16
M.A.: 9
P.S.: 18
P.P.: 12
P.E.: 18
P.B.: 7
Speed: 9

PHYSICAL DATA
P.P.E.: 5
I.S.P.: 11 (+2 / level) (Multiplied by x2/x4/etc vs higher supernatural threats)
H.P.: 16 + 1D6/level
S.D.C.: 70
Age: 29
Sex: Male
Height: 5'9"
Weight: 190
Description: Caucasian, rough around the edges, sandy blonde hair and beard.
30% (+3%) / 50% (Sixth Sense) / 65% (Open to Supernatural)
Sense Supernatural Evil (Range: 300 ft + 50/level)
Sense fluxes of > 20 PPE Range: 600 ft + 100/level) (Open to Supernatural)
Recognizes Possession - Base Skill: 50% (+5%)
Recognizes Magic Enchantment - 30% (+5%)
+ 10% if the magic is evil/hurtful
+ 20% when possessed by an evil supernatural being.

HTH Type: Basic
Number of Attacks: 5
Initiative Bonus: +6 (Sixth Sense)
Strike Bonus:
Parry Bonus: +2 / +4 (Sixth Sense)
Dodge Bonus: +2 / +5 (Sixth Sense)
HTH Damage Bonus: +3
Bonus to Roll w/Punch: +4
Bonus to Pull a Punch: +2
Bonus to Disarm:
Other: When using any powers: No initiative roll, only 4 Attacks per melee

Weapon Proficiencies
W.P. Knife +1 to strike at levels 2, 4, 7, 10, and 13. +1 to parry at levels, 1, 3, 6, 9, and 12. +1 to strike when thrown at levels, 1, 3, 6, 8, 10 and 13.
W.P. Rifles +1 to strike at levels 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11, and 13.
Coma/Death: +3
Magic (varies): +5**
Lethal Poison (14+): +3
Non-Lethal Poison (16+): +3
Insanity (10+): +1
Psionics (10+): +1**
Horror Factor (varies): +4
Possession: +4
**+4 to save vs mind-altering drugs, magical charms, and mental confusion.
**-1 to save vs Illusions and Telepathic or Empathic probes and attacks.
User avatar
Isaiah Peirce
Posts: 34
Joined: Fri Aug 25, 2023 6:58 am

Re: Getting Their Bearings: Part Two

Post by Isaiah Peirce »

[Rolls Held]
Jake wrote:"I thought that's what you were doing back at the house while I was gone. That big library has to have something. All I know is I've got work in a few hours. And we really need a bigger ride if we're all going to run field missions like this."
Isaiah watches Jake climb awkwardly with a raised eyebrow. This guy must be tired or just has never actually opened a book. This isn't a small car, it's like he wants to sit on the bed of a truck. Isaiah thinks to himself as he shakes his head at Jakes comment. "Yes. That is what I did. I traced all the newspaper articles and recorded the names and dates of the victims disappearances. What I didn't have time for is reading through the historical contents of the land as everyone wanted to simply come out here to check it out. Reading texts takes time, and preferably, help." Isaiah remarks curtly. I'm with a group that just wants to go in guns blazing like they are hunting another person. As if that rifle he's got would help him against a ghost or any number of monsters that go bump in the night, but I'm sure it makes him feel better. Isaiah thinks, rolling his eyes away and returning to his journal where he recorded said information.
"You know my problem with gut feelings? Once you have them, all the evidence you see is the evidence that supports your gut feeling. Human nature."
Paranormal Investigator Isaiah S. Peirce | EP Ledger

Important Numbers: Perception 40% | H.P.: 16 | S.D.C: 29 | I.S.P.: 13
Magic (varies): +1
Lethal Poison (14+): +3
Non-Lethal Poison (16+): +3
Insanity (12+): +1
Psionics (10): +3
Horror Factor (varies): +3
Mind Altering effects (magic, mental or drug): +3
User avatar
Zachary Splindt
Posts: 135
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2021 3:17 pm

Re: Getting Their Bearings: Part Two

Post by Zachary Splindt »

Perception: 1d100: [81] = 81 (26%)
JIC 1D100: 1d100: [3] = 3
JIC 1D20: 1d20: [2] = 2
Conditions: Closed to the Supernatural

As Zachary climbs into the car, he briefly reflects on the botched conversation, and considers the possibility of additional conversational skills practice on the suit of armor upon their return to the Whitlach Estate. The detective attempts to draw connections between the rot hounds that had previously infested the Whitlach estate and the possible creature hiding in the woods, although the lack of traces in the rain leave him with few leads to go on.
Isaiah Peirce wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 8:39 pm Isaiah climbs in the car behind the driver's seat of the car and pulls out his notebook, writing down the interaction as Sean speaks. "That's assuming he doesn't know anything at all, and he was here alone and certainly wasn't lacking confidence. Best go into this meeting with an open mind." Isaiah counters. "I think he might be related in some way to one of the more recent victims, or something else that makes him care enough to risk himself. Wish he told us his name, at least." Isaiah adds.
If our friend has been trying to lure the creature out to his car, I reckon he must have some awareness of its behavior. I’m not doubting any fellow with good reason would just charge in there like we did, but he seemed to already have a plan. Might round down the reading at least if we can figure that part out. There’s also the possibility of running some of our own tests too… assuming we don’t get in this fellow’s way.” Zachary turns to Isaiah. “You mentioned having traced the names and dates of the victims. Did you catch any details on the specifics of the injuries?
User avatar
Consumer
Dimension Master
Posts: 1995
Joined: Sun Sep 13, 2009 2:26 pm
Location: GM/DM (The Templar, PW: Galactic Rogues, BTS:OGoA)
Contact:

Re: Getting Their Bearings: Part Two

Post by Consumer »

Getting their Bearings: Part Two
Time and Weather wrote:Location: On Route 20, Bellwood, West Virginia
Date: Wednesday, March 22nd, 1925. 5:50 AM (5 hours has passed)
Weather: 52 degrees Fahrenheit; cloudy.
I.S.P. Modifier: x1
Case Notes: The Highway
Isaiah: Lore, Superstitions [Isaiah is thinking on superstitions he's heard of that have happened after humans moved into a certain area to expand on his internal thoughts.] Given humans have lived in the area for nigh 16,000 years, it’s hard to tell. The backwoods of Appalachia are full of rumour and superstition, Isaiah is hard pressed to fit a specific one.


The quartet make their way back into the car, now sodden and with more questions than answers. The rain continues it’s constant drum on the canvas top of the Model H, a rapid staccato of percussion. Sean begins driving back towards Whitlach Manor. (Used Just in Case for Pilot Automobile. ~Consumer) The car’s headlights a barely adequate in their ability to cut through the gloom, leaving Sean driving a lot more cautious than he normally would given the dark, the rain, and the nature of the road.

Sean is the first to speak up.
Sean wrote:"So where do we go from here? Obviously... home. But what is our next step? This man might have some new information, but we can't assume it is anything we don't already know. ."
Isaiah from his spot in the back seat, trying to jot notes on his notebook in the pitch dark, responds in kind.
Isaiah wrote:"I think he might be related in some way to one of the more recent victims, or something else that makes him care enough to risk himself. Wish he told us his name, at least. I think the next step is figuring out why it happens. There is something about that road, and it takes back for years. I wouldn't be surprised if it started around the time the road was paved... but that's just a feeling.. Maybe the house has more information about the lay of the land before it was paved. We need to determine why as much as we need to stop it."
Whether Isaiah’s potential theory is correct or not, time and research will only tell. Jake adds to the conversation, but still seems grumpy.
Jake wrote:"There's a place in town you can get yourself a poncho. I thought that's what you were doing back at the house while I was gone. That big library has to have something. All I know is I've got work in a few hours. And we really need a bigger ride if we're all going to run field missions like this."
Jake’s views on how research is done, or the apparent size of the vehicle they’re in, seem to be the voice of someone who’s expecting a twelve hour shift of back breaking labor coming up on no sleep.
Isaiah wrote:"Yes. That is what I did. I traced all the newspaper articles and recorded the names and dates of the victims disappearances. What I didn't have time for is reading through the historical contents of the land as everyone wanted to simply come out here to check it out. Reading texts takes time, and preferably, help."
Isaiah responds in kind, and for the most part is correct, as not very much time at all was put forth for research. Zachary adds to the conversation, asking a question that no one has an answer to.
Zachary wrote:If our friend has been trying to lure the creature out to his car, I reckon he must have some awareness of its behavior. I’m not doubting any fellow with good reason would just charge in there like we did, but he seemed to already have a plan. Might round down the reading at least if we can figure that part out. There’s also the possibility of running some of our own tests too… assuming we don’t get in this fellow’s way. You mentioned having traced the names and dates of the victims. Did you catch any details on the specifics of the injuries?
The rest of the trip is quiet, and bleak. Sean drops Jake off at his home first, before taking the rest of the group back to the Whitlach house. It’s at this point that the weight of the day weighs heavily on the investigators, exhaustion creeping into each of their bodies.

Jake barely has time to rest before his ride arrives, the only solace is that the rain seems to have finally stopped. Jake is expecting a long day of hard labor, as is the usual in the mines, but when he arrives, he is almost immediately approached by one of the Mine Boss’ assistants. ”Boss wants to see you Foster. The tone in his voice doesn’t bode a pleasant conversation. The next few minutes are rather confusing as Jake is told that he is no longer welcome at Barrow Mining, and that he is to vacate the premises.


GM Notes: Everyone is exhausted, you may try and push yourself to continue, but there will be compounding penalties.
Jake is now unemployed and effectively Banned from Barrow mining sites, whether this will be a widely known thing or not, is a question for a later time.

Feel free to write what you do up till 6 PM, and your arrival at Carl’s. ~Consumer


What Are Your Intentions?

Zachary: HP: 42/42, S.D.C. 29/29, I.S.P.: 9/9
Sean: HP:18/18, S.D.C.: 50/50, I.S.P.: 12/12
Isaiah: HP: 16/16, S.D.C.: 29/29, I.S.P.: 13/13
Jake HP: 16/16, S.D.C. 70/70, I.S.P.: 3/11
"All things age. All things die. In the end, our sun burns out. Our universe grows cold and perishes. But the Dark Dimension, it’s the place beyond time."
GM of The Templar, Phase World: Galactic Rogues, Beyond the Supernatural: Old Gods of Appalachia
PP Ledger
User avatar
Sean Burke
Posts: 46
Joined: Tue Jul 11, 2023 10:47 am

Re: Getting Their Bearings: Part Two

Post by Sean Burke »

Perception: 30% vs 1d100: [24] = 24
JIC: 1d20: [20] = 20 and 1d100: [67] = 67
Conditions: None

Skills


Post

Making it to the Whitlach house is a choir. Exhaustion and weather making the drive as difficult as it can be. Sean parks the car in the garage and steps out. "I don't know about you gents, but I'm going to get some sleep." Sean departs the group courteously and makes his way to a room. In the room he strips the wet clothes and finds a place to hang them to dry. I need to bring a change of clothes here. Maybe all my things. Could save some money on rent at the very least. Sean looks around for Henry to get his thoughts on the matter and remembers. Walking to the window he looks out for henry, Does he feel alone? Can I really stay here with him being locked out.

Sean yawns as the exhaustion sets in and he decides to sleep on the thought. He makes his way to the bed, draws the covers over his naked body and let's sleep take him.

Waking around 3pm...

Sean finds himself wrestling to stay asleep and decides to give in to the light of day. Sitting up and stretching he looks around the room, again considering if he should just let his apartment go. I need to speak to Henry. To know he would be ok with it. Sean gets out of bed and checks to see if his clothes are dry. Having nothing else to wear, he puts them on regardless. I need to stop home. Grab some things. Find the boss, see if he has any deliveries. Then... Carl's to see if this guy knows anything.

Sean heads downstairs to see if anyone is awake, if he finds someone he will explain, "I'm going to run to my apartment to get a few things, then stop by my employer to see if he needs anything. I'll met the group at Carl's at 6 tonight."

All around town and back again...

Sean will make his way to his apartment where he will quickly pack an overnight bag to cover change of clothes for a couple days. After he is done, he will make his way to his employer to check in on deliveries. Arriving at his employers he asks, "Afternoon boss, just checking in to see if there are any deliveries. Also, wanted to know if I could get added to a couple lists, if you know what I mean. I have a couple friends I want to show a good time soon." After he is done with the discussion, he will excuse himself and make his way to Carl's.

At Carl's...

Sean walks in and looks around to see if the others have gotten there first. If so, he will make his way to the table and sit with them asking, "Did I miss anything?"

If they are not there, he will request a table big enough for the group plus 1 and wait for the others to arrive. When they get there he will ask, "So, how was your day?"
User avatar
Jake Foster
Posts: 20
Joined: Tue Nov 21, 2023 9:17 am

Re: Getting Their Bearings: Part Two

Post by Jake Foster »

Perception: d100 (see post signature)
JIC: d20 -- d100
(Closed to Supernatural)
===
Consumer wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 9:45 am Jake barely has time to rest before his ride arrives, the only solace is that the rain seems to have finally stopped. Jake is expecting a long day of hard labor, as is the usual in the mines, but when he arrives, he is almost immediately approached by one of the Mine Boss’ assistants. ”Boss wants to see you Foster. The tone in his voice doesn’t bode a pleasant conversation. The next few minutes are rather confusing as Jake is told that he is no longer welcome at Barrow Mining, and that he is to vacate the premises.
"The hell you mean?" Jake asks, highly confused. "Why? I've worked here since I was 14 years old. You can't do this."

Jake glares at the suit. If he'd gotten any real amount of sleep, he could read his mind to get some answers, but he was having too much trouble focusing. "You could have at least told me when Roland picked us up. How the hell am I supposed to get home?"

"Not my problem," he replies as he gestures to two security goons. Jake boggles at them, not recognizing them. They weren't even fellow workers.

"I'm goin," Jake blurts out before they can put their hands on him. He backpedals, pointing at the suit before turning around fully and walks off on his own power.

Jake walks home, hitchhiking if anyone else happens to be on the road this early. By the time he gets home, he crawls into bed and passes out.

After he finally wakes up, he spends the afternoon at Carl's questioning his life choices and wondering what he's going to do now. His new friends --Hopefully they were friends-- said something about an employer. Did chasing demons actually pay something? They all seemed pretty well to do. He just had to pray it did or he'd have to see if the railroad had a job for him.

The more he thinks about the hostile way they canned him, the less he thinks it could've been for any legitimate reason. He thinks about the rendition of events Sean gave from the other mine. Maybe he got closer than he thought and hit a nerve. If the company connected him to Sean somehow, that made the morning's events make a little more sense.

He turns around from the counter as the rest of the team comes in.
Character Sheet: viewtopic.php?p=1397296#p1397296
I.Q.: 9
M.E.: 16
M.A.: 9
P.S.: 18
P.P.: 12
P.E.: 18
P.B.: 7
Speed: 9

PHYSICAL DATA
P.P.E.: 5
I.S.P.: 11 (+2 / level) (Multiplied by x2/x4/etc vs higher supernatural threats)
H.P.: 16 + 1D6/level
S.D.C.: 70
Age: 29
Sex: Male
Height: 5'9"
Weight: 190
Description: Caucasian, rough around the edges, sandy blonde hair and beard.
30% (+3%) / 50% (Sixth Sense) / 65% (Open to Supernatural)
Sense Supernatural Evil (Range: 300 ft + 50/level)
Sense fluxes of > 20 PPE Range: 600 ft + 100/level) (Open to Supernatural)
Recognizes Possession - Base Skill: 50% (+5%)
Recognizes Magic Enchantment - 30% (+5%)
+ 10% if the magic is evil/hurtful
+ 20% when possessed by an evil supernatural being.

HTH Type: Basic
Number of Attacks: 5
Initiative Bonus: +6 (Sixth Sense)
Strike Bonus:
Parry Bonus: +2 / +4 (Sixth Sense)
Dodge Bonus: +2 / +5 (Sixth Sense)
HTH Damage Bonus: +3
Bonus to Roll w/Punch: +4
Bonus to Pull a Punch: +2
Bonus to Disarm:
Other: When using any powers: No initiative roll, only 4 Attacks per melee

Weapon Proficiencies
W.P. Knife +1 to strike at levels 2, 4, 7, 10, and 13. +1 to parry at levels, 1, 3, 6, 9, and 12. +1 to strike when thrown at levels, 1, 3, 6, 8, 10 and 13.
W.P. Rifles +1 to strike at levels 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11, and 13.
Coma/Death: +3
Magic (varies): +5**
Lethal Poison (14+): +3
Non-Lethal Poison (16+): +3
Insanity (10+): +1
Psionics (10+): +1**
Horror Factor (varies): +4
Possession: +4
**+4 to save vs mind-altering drugs, magical charms, and mental confusion.
**-1 to save vs Illusions and Telepathic or Empathic probes and attacks.
User avatar
Zachary Splindt
Posts: 135
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2021 3:17 pm

Re: Getting Their Bearings: Part Two

Post by Zachary Splindt »

Perception: 1d100: [37] = 37 (26%)
JIC 1D100: 1d100: [92] = 92
JIC 1D20: 1d20: [3] = 3
Conditions: Closed to the Supernatural
Salvage: 1d100: [17] = 17 (60%)
OOC Comments
A lot of this is predicated under the assumption that the rules for constructing Ghost Vision Goggles apply to the 1920s, and that the allotted time is permissible for its manufacturing. May not even be possible, since Zachary does not have the Basic Mechanics skill. Ghost Hunters seem to already have the knowledge as to their design per the rulebook.

Returning to the Whitlach estate, Zachary groggily goes over the night's events in his head. A couple thoughts come to mind, an idea for goggles that might assist with seeing the supernatural and a resurfacing of a nagging suspicion concerning the B&L Mining Company. these thoughts are quite literally put to bed however, as the call for sleep is much stronger. Wishing the others a pleasant night, Zachary does not hesitate to try and get some sleep.

Waking slightly after noon, Zachary groggily considers how to spend his time.

If Ghost Vision Goggles can be made
Zachary pauses on the staircase as he tries to think things through. Maybe some kind of tool oughta do the trick. Put in a good impression for the guy we're meeting. At the very least, we might have a shot at seeing this... thing hiding in the trees. Though I guess it can't always be a ghost, can it? Making his best attempt so as to avoid tripping over the stairs or furniture, Zachary checks some of the rooms of the Whitlach estate for material that could be used for creating a set of Ghost Vision Goggles (Salvage). In particular, Zachary searches the garage, closets, and trophy room. Time (and exhaustion) permitting, Zachary attempts to assemble this particular pair of goggles, using whatever tools can be found in the garage.

Whether the attempt was a success or a failure, Zachary brings his contraption/scrap with him as he walks to the diner.

If Ghost Vision Goggles cannot be made
Zachary goes over to the captain's study, initially with the intent of finding more information on whatever creature they had been searching for. As Zachary pulls a book off the shelf however, he comes to the realization that he cannot recall any mention of appearance, behavior, or clue to distinguish this creature or anomaly from whatever else might be hiding in the forests. Hoping to find some productive use for his time, Zachary instead searches the library for any books that might shed some light on the history of the B&L Mining Company. Although their current affairs would warrant focus elsewhere, the detective still has an inkling of a suspicion.

As the afternoon draws to a close, Zachary joins Isaiah as the pair depart for the diner. Before doing so, he brings with him paper and writing utensil to jot notes down.

Though still weary from last night's events, the ride over provides a precious little clarity of thought. Taking a deep breath, Zachary follows Isaiah into Carl's diner and takes a seat at the table Sean is sitting at. Greeting him with a nod and a grin, Zachary orders a couple coffees for himself.
Last edited by Zachary Splindt on Mon May 20, 2024 7:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.
User avatar
Isaiah Peirce
Posts: 34
Joined: Fri Aug 25, 2023 6:58 am

Re: Getting Their Bearings: Part Two

Post by Isaiah Peirce »

Perception: 1d100: [22] = 22 /40%
JiC: 1d20: [19] = 19 / 1d100: [24] = 24

Conditions: Sense Supernatural Evil (350ft) | Sixth Sense (Inactive)

Skills:
Research: 1d100: [39] = 39 /55% [Researching before the diner]
Lore, Superstitions: 1d100: [22] = 22 /50% [Any local superstitions about the area and road]

Post:
Sean wrote:"I don't know about you gents, but I'm going to get some sleep."
Upon returning to the house, Isaiah finds himself longing for some solid shut eye. He glances to Sean and the others with a nod. "A few hours would do us all some good." He agrees and retires for a few hours. The investigator's time as a volunteer fire fighter helped him to become accustomed to dozing for shorter periods of time. The investigator rubs the back of his neck and he shakes his head. Not healthy, I want to sleep for a day. He thinks to himself but will try his best to wake up sometime between 10 and noon for at least 5-6 hours of sleep.

When he wakes up, Isaiah will head to the kitchen for some tea and biscuits then make his way towards the Whitlach Library and begin looking for any books on the area of that road. "We still know nothing about the land. Learning more will help determine if something moved in... or was woken up." Isaiah says to himself, placing his journal on the desk as he begins rummaging through books.
Sean wrote:"I'm going to run to my apartment to get a few things, then stop by my employer to see if he needs anything. I'll met the group at Carl's at 6 tonight."
When Isaiah hears Sean wake up at around 3, the investigator nods to himself as Sean eventually finds him in the library. "Alright. Remember we're behind the eight ball on this one. Maybe ask your for employer for anything he knows about the road or area around it." Isaiah suggests before Sean departs. Then goes back into book digging. Only stopping to refill his tea. What may seem like a boring time to others is actually quite engaging for Isaiah, learning more about things always kept his mind awake, even if it was from a book. I remember getting in trouble during lectures for reading the text while they spoke and not listening too them talk. Profs always had an agenda, the book was usually straight facts. The investigator thinks to himself, before nodding his head from side to side. Depending on who wrote it, that is. He adds internally with a soft chuckle.

When 5:30 rolls around, Isaiah will close up shop and see who else is in the house with him. If he finds anyone, he will attempt to corral them into the car. "Almost time to meet our mysterious stranger. I'm taking the old beater to the diner, if anyone wants to ride with me." Isaiah states, referencing the car from the estate as Sean hopefully took his own truck. If Jake hasn't returned from his shift/firing, Isaiah assumes the man is simply at work and doesn't think much else of it. That guy's going to kill himself working full time and hunting at night. Isaiah thinks to himself.

Upon arrival to the diner, Isaiah will enter with whomever is with him. He'll have his trusted journal with any new information he might've acquired through his own research during the day. He will see if he can recognize the mysterious stranger and walk up to his table if he does. "May we join you?" He'll ask, extending the courtesy before sitting down. Then follow up with, "I'm Isaiah. Do you have a name, or should I just call you Fink?" Isaiah asks with a serious tone after repeating his name. We did meet in the dark after all. Let's see how he conducts himself now. He thinks to himself.

If he and the others don't identify the stranger, he will claim a booth with the others and hope the stranger finds them. He will then ask for some tea from the server as he waits.
"You know my problem with gut feelings? Once you have them, all the evidence you see is the evidence that supports your gut feeling. Human nature."
Paranormal Investigator Isaiah S. Peirce | EP Ledger

Important Numbers: Perception 40% | H.P.: 16 | S.D.C: 29 | I.S.P.: 13
Magic (varies): +1
Lethal Poison (14+): +3
Non-Lethal Poison (16+): +3
Insanity (12+): +1
Psionics (10): +3
Horror Factor (varies): +3
Mind Altering effects (magic, mental or drug): +3
User avatar
Consumer
Dimension Master
Posts: 1995
Joined: Sun Sep 13, 2009 2:26 pm
Location: GM/DM (The Templar, PW: Galactic Rogues, BTS:OGoA)
Contact:

Re: Getting Their Bearings: Part Two

Post by Consumer »

Getting their Bearings: Part Two
Time and Weather wrote:Location: On Route 20, Bellwood, West Virginia
Date: Wednesday, March 22nd, 1925. 6:05 PM (10 hours and 15 minutes has passed)
Weather: 52 degrees Fahrenheit; cloudy.
I.S.P. Modifier: x1
Case Notes: The Highway
Zachary: Building Ghost Goggles. I read the abilities of your OCC, and the way it seems written, no skill is required to make it, it does have very specific rules on who can use the item once made, but other than that seems fine. ~Consumer
Isaiah: Research[Researching before the diner] 5 hours in.
Lore, Superstitions [Any local superstitions about the area and road] The road doesn’t have much in the way of superstitions, or at least as far as Isaiah has found thus far, more research is needed.


Isaiah forces himself awake at a much earlier than the other two investigators, giving himself a bit of time to begin researching the situation, with the minimal information at hand, Isaiah gets to work, only to find the libraries of the late Captain are atrociously organized and it only make the job that much harder. Around one in the afternoon, Zachary gets up and begins to putter around looking to build a contraption that has been sitting in his mind for a while now. When Sean awakens the in the late afternoon, his body aches, the cold rain likely did him no favors. Sean quickly makes his way downstairs and tells the two what he is doing before leaving. Sean makes it to his apartment in about forty-five minutes, and to his employer thirty minutes after that.
Sean wrote:"Afternoon boss, just checking in to see if there are any deliveries. Also, wanted to know if I could get added to a couple lists, if you know what I mean. I have a couple friends I want to show a good time soon."
Old man Thomas sits behind his desk, the top of it cluttered with papers, spare parts, and other bric-a-brac. When Sean enters, he looks up, his dark eyes narrowing a bit behind his glasses. ”Well look who showed up, I was wondering if you gone and died on me. I had a delivery last night I could have used you for, but ended up having Frank do it. Not a good way to do business, kid.” Thomas says. Thomas grabs his cigar from the nearby ashtray, packed full of stubs of old cigarettes and cigars, threatening to fall over sooner than later. ”Which club? Who are your friends?” Thomas asks, he seems slightly annoyed.

”I have a delivery scheduled for Friday, will you be there?” Thomas says, his tone clearly stating that if Sean isn’t, it will be very unlikely that he’ll get what he wants.

Jake on the otherhand has had what amounts to one of the worst days in his life, if you don’t include combat overseas. The firing, and the long walk back to his home, do no favors to Jake’s mood. Sleep is only a small comfort as the nightmares come. The next afternoon, Jake awakens and decides to walk to Carl’s Diner early. Once there he notices the place is rather quiet, and Carl seems disinclined to chat at the moment. But as long as Jake pays for his coffee, it keeps coming.

The time rolls around six in the afternoon, the light is fading quick as the sun moves behind the mountains. Isaiah and Zachary make their way into the diner to find Jake already sitting at the counter. Three of the five tables are occupied, so the duo quickly take one for themselves. Sean shows up about three minutes after six, and joins the table. Carl seems to be ignoring the investigators at the moment, so it takes a moment for the waitress to approach and take the order. She leaves to grab the coffees, when a man the group hasn’t seen before gets up from his seat at the counter and approaches. He’s tall, thickly built, with olive toned skin common to those of arabic ancestry, his hair is an unruly mop of black curls. He’s wearing rugged looking work clothes. ”So you wanted to meet, here we are.” The man says as he sits down uninvited at the table.
Isaiah wrote:"I'm Isaiah. Do you have a name, or should I just call you Fink?"
The man looks at Isaiah. ”George. So what do you need?” George says, seemingly more than willing to move things along.


What Are Your Intentions?

Zachary: HP: 42/42, S.D.C. 29/29, I.S.P.: 9/9
Sean: HP:18/18, S.D.C.: 50/50, I.S.P.: 12/12
Isaiah: HP: 16/16, S.D.C.: 29/29, I.S.P.: 13/13
Jake HP: 16/16, S.D.C. 70/70, I.S.P.: 3/11
"All things age. All things die. In the end, our sun burns out. Our universe grows cold and perishes. But the Dark Dimension, it’s the place beyond time."
GM of The Templar, Phase World: Galactic Rogues, Beyond the Supernatural: Old Gods of Appalachia
PP Ledger
User avatar
Sean Burke
Posts: 46
Joined: Tue Jul 11, 2023 10:47 am

Re: Getting Their Bearings: Part Two

Post by Sean Burke »

Perception: 30% vs 1d100: [83] = 83
JIC: 1d20: [18] = 18 and 1d100: [73] = 73
Conditions: None

Skills


Post

Before the diner...
Consumer wrote: Tue May 21, 2024 1:33 pm ”Well look who showed up, I was wondering if you gone and died on me. I had a delivery last night I could have used you for, but ended up having Frank do it. Not a good way to do business, kid.” Thomas says. Thomas grabs his cigar from the nearby ashtray, packed full of stubs of old cigarettes and cigars, threatening to fall over sooner than later. ”Which club? Who are your friends?” Thomas asks, he seems slightly annoyed.

”I have a delivery scheduled for Friday, will you be there?” Thomas says, his tone clearly stating that if Sean isn’t, it will be very unlikely that he’ll get what he wants.
Sean smiles, shrugging his shoulders, "I got caught up in a big mess... lots of rain. You know I would never let you down for no reason." he pauses, "I'll be here Friday! You can count on that!" Sean nods affirmatively, "Regular shipment?"

Sean gives Thomas a chance to tell him about the job on Friday and when he is done, says, "You know boss, I haven't been to many, if any of the clubs for fun. These are some good guys I met. Might come in handy for any bigger jobs that might need security. I just want a chance to get to know them better, loosen them up, make sure they are solid. Where do you suggest?"


At the diner...
Consumer wrote: Tue May 21, 2024 1:33 pm The man looks at Isaiah. ”George. So what do you need?” George says, seemingly more than willing to move things along.
Sean smiles big, "Direct! I like it!" Sean leans back in his seat, "I think we were all out there for the same reason, we should help each other." He looks around the diner to see if anyone is listening, then turning back, says quietly, "Some things aren't very popular in public though."
User avatar
Isaiah Peirce
Posts: 34
Joined: Fri Aug 25, 2023 6:58 am

Re: Getting Their Bearings: Part Two

Post by Isaiah Peirce »

Perception: 1d100: [33] = 33 /40%
JiC: 1d20: [8] = 8 / 1d100: [17] = 17

Conditions: Sense Supernatural Evil (350ft) | Sixth Sense (Inactive)

Skills:


Post:

Isaiah groans in frustration at the disorganization of the library. "I'm going to need to properly catalog this library for it to be a useful resource. I wonder if this town has a public library? Isaiah muses to himself before heading to the diner, but doesn't seek one out yet. A question to be answered later. Isaiah nods to himself, scribbling down the question to ask later.
George wrote:”George. So what do you need?”
Isaiah glances at Sean's big smile and maintains his own stoic expression. Yes, Direct. I wonder what he needs. Isaiah thinks, studying 'George' as he pulls out his journal and opens to the pages where he began his research on the road. "I need to know what you know about that road we were on last night. And why you were there." Isaiah says calmly, his pen tapping the various lines of victims names who've disappeared over the years. Right now, could be one of three things I think... a hunter, like us.. a survivor... or an acquaintance of a victim looking for revenge. Isaiah mentally mulls over the ideas in his head.

If asked why Isaiah wants to know, the investigator glances down at his journal then back to George. "I like solving mysteries." Isaiah answers simply.
"You know my problem with gut feelings? Once you have them, all the evidence you see is the evidence that supports your gut feeling. Human nature."
Paranormal Investigator Isaiah S. Peirce | EP Ledger

Important Numbers: Perception 40% | H.P.: 16 | S.D.C: 29 | I.S.P.: 13
Magic (varies): +1
Lethal Poison (14+): +3
Non-Lethal Poison (16+): +3
Insanity (12+): +1
Psionics (10): +3
Horror Factor (varies): +3
Mind Altering effects (magic, mental or drug): +3
User avatar
Zachary Splindt
Posts: 135
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2021 3:17 pm

Re: Getting Their Bearings: Part Two

Post by Zachary Splindt »

Perception: 1d100: [93] = 93 (26%)
JIC 1D100: 1d100: [50] = 50
JIC 1D20: 1d20: [6] = 6
Conditions: Closed to the Supernatural
Sean Burke wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 12:12 pm Sean smiles big, "Direct! I like it!" Sean leans back in his seat, "I think we were all out there for the same reason, we should help each other." He looks around the diner to see if anyone is listening, then turning back, says quietly, "Some things aren't very popular in public though."
Upon hearing Sean’s words, Zachary steals a glance at George's reaction, then back at Sean. Bit more blunt than I would have spoken, but saves beating around the bush the detective thinks to himself. Remembering Carl's warnings from earlier, Zachary lowers his voice as he speaks his next words. "As my friend here mentioned earlier, we’ve started investigating the disappearances along the highway, and there might be an opportunity to help each other. You seem to have a stake in it too. If the why is none of our business, it's none of our business. Seems to me if our goals are the same however, we have a shot of benefiting each others’ search.

Zachary considers his next words carefully. Most of our conversations with folks here seem to lead to a cold shoulder and a brush-off. I got a feeling we’ll want to find some way to keep him here as long as we can until he hears us out Turning back to George, Zachary attempts a slightly more assertive manner of addressing the intent. "We have no intention of giving up the chase. If we can't agree to help each other we can at least find a way to stay out of each others' hair while we look for it."

As the discussion continues, Zachary fidgets with the goggles he had constructed prior to the meeting. Reckon if he asks for information we’ve uncovered, we’d be caught like fishes out of water. Sounds about close to what other folks around here would say to brush us off. Wonder if we could sell these off as a tool to help track… whatever it is we’re tracking. I’m the only one who can use it, so it’s something on offer that might require him to cooperate with us if it’s valuable enough. I'm not keen on lying, but if this gives us a little leverage...
User avatar
Jake Foster
Posts: 20
Joined: Tue Nov 21, 2023 9:17 am

Re: Getting Their Bearings: Part Two

Post by Jake Foster »

Perception: d100: [78] = 78 (see post signature)
JIC: d20: [20] = 20 -- d100: [56] = 56
(Open to Supernatural)
===
Consumer wrote: Tue May 21, 2024 1:33 pm The man looks at Isaiah. ”George. So what do you need?” George says, seemingly more than willing to move things along.
Wow he's friendly. Didn't they say he was the one who suggested meeting?

Rather than bombard the already surly stranger with more questions, Jake sits back and listens, quietly sizing George up without being confrontational. He keeps his Third Eye open, but even trying to look at his aura takes more inner focus than he's capable of after the day he's had. He is mindful of his sixth sense in the unlikely scenario that this gets ugly in the middle of the diner.
Last edited by Jake Foster on Tue May 28, 2024 11:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Character Sheet: viewtopic.php?p=1397296#p1397296
I.Q.: 9
M.E.: 16
M.A.: 9
P.S.: 18
P.P.: 12
P.E.: 18
P.B.: 7
Speed: 9

PHYSICAL DATA
P.P.E.: 5
I.S.P.: 11 (+2 / level) (Multiplied by x2/x4/etc vs higher supernatural threats)
H.P.: 16 + 1D6/level
S.D.C.: 70
Age: 29
Sex: Male
Height: 5'9"
Weight: 190
Description: Caucasian, rough around the edges, sandy blonde hair and beard.
30% (+3%) / 50% (Sixth Sense) / 65% (Open to Supernatural)
Sense Supernatural Evil (Range: 300 ft + 50/level)
Sense fluxes of > 20 PPE Range: 600 ft + 100/level) (Open to Supernatural)
Recognizes Possession - Base Skill: 50% (+5%)
Recognizes Magic Enchantment - 30% (+5%)
+ 10% if the magic is evil/hurtful
+ 20% when possessed by an evil supernatural being.

HTH Type: Basic
Number of Attacks: 5
Initiative Bonus: +6 (Sixth Sense)
Strike Bonus:
Parry Bonus: +2 / +4 (Sixth Sense)
Dodge Bonus: +2 / +5 (Sixth Sense)
HTH Damage Bonus: +3
Bonus to Roll w/Punch: +4
Bonus to Pull a Punch: +2
Bonus to Disarm:
Other: When using any powers: No initiative roll, only 4 Attacks per melee

Weapon Proficiencies
W.P. Knife +1 to strike at levels 2, 4, 7, 10, and 13. +1 to parry at levels, 1, 3, 6, 9, and 12. +1 to strike when thrown at levels, 1, 3, 6, 8, 10 and 13.
W.P. Rifles +1 to strike at levels 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11, and 13.
Coma/Death: +3
Magic (varies): +5**
Lethal Poison (14+): +3
Non-Lethal Poison (16+): +3
Insanity (10+): +1
Psionics (10+): +1**
Horror Factor (varies): +4
Possession: +4
**+4 to save vs mind-altering drugs, magical charms, and mental confusion.
**-1 to save vs Illusions and Telepathic or Empathic probes and attacks.
User avatar
Consumer
Dimension Master
Posts: 1995
Joined: Sun Sep 13, 2009 2:26 pm
Location: GM/DM (The Templar, PW: Galactic Rogues, BTS:OGoA)
Contact:

Re: Getting Their Bearings: Part Two

Post by Consumer »

Getting their Bearings: Part Two
Time and Weather wrote:Location: On Route 20, Bellwood, West Virginia
Date: Wednesday, March 22nd, 1925. 6:05 PM (10 hours and 15 minutes has passed)
Weather: 52 degrees Fahrenheit; cloudy.
I.S.P. Modifier: x1
Case Notes: The Highway


Sean wrote:"I got caught up in a big mess... lots of rain. You know I would never let you down for no reason... I'll be here Friday! You can count on that! Regular shipment?"
Thomas seems unimpressed by the explanation, but doesn’t say anything. "Yeah, a dozen cases going to Sherman’s in Oakhill.” Thomas says.
Sean wrote:"You know boss, I haven't been to many, if any of the clubs for fun. These are some good guys I met. Might come in handy for any bigger jobs that might need security. I just want a chance to get to know them better, loosen them up, make sure they are solid. Where do you suggest?"
”I’ll think about it, you do good on this next shipment, and I’ll get you access to somewhere nice.” Thomas says.



Sean wrote:"Direct! I like it! I think we were all out there for the same reason, we should help each other. Some things aren't very popular in public though."
George looks at Sean, he has a soft smirk on his face. ”Possibly, and definitely.” George says in response to Sean’s statement. When Isaiah speaks up, Georg looks towards him.
Isaiah wrote:"I need to know what you know about that road we were on last night. And why you were there."
”Route twenty, has a bit of a dark reputation for folk going missing, as well as a few noted animal attacks. It’s an old route, from before white men came to the Appalacians. As for why I was there, I was just observing a stretch of the road.” George says. Isaiah is not sure if the man is holding anything back.
Zachary wrote:"As my friend here mentioned earlier, we’ve started investigating the disappearances along the highway, and there might be an opportunity to help each other. You seem to have a stake in it too. If the why is none of our business, it's none of our business. Seems to me if our goals are the same however, we have a shot of benefiting each others’ search.
George softly chuckles. ”Not really, I was more bored than anything else, and was testing out some new hardware I built. The disappearances just seemed a good a thing as anything else. I have no idea what your goals are, though I’m not stressed to figure out the issue on route twenty either.” George says.
Zachary wrote:"We have no intention of giving up the chase. If we can't agree to help each other we can at least find a way to stay out of each others' hair while we look for it."
George shakes his head. ”If you want to investigate it as well, I don’t have any problems with it. You probably know more than I do about it anyways. If you join me on my stakeouts or not, is no big deal, and since I know you’re looking, I’ll make sure to pass anything off I see. Why do you guys care about missing people, you don’t look like cops or feds, or even Pinkertons?” George asks.
Isaiah wrote:"I like solving mysteries."
George laughs and nods. ”I do to Isaiah, I do to.” George responds.

Jake for his part tries to size up George, but doesn’t get much other than he seems a salt of the earth kind of guy.

What Are Your Intentions?

Zachary: HP: 42/42, S.D.C. 29/29, I.S.P.: 9/9
Sean: HP:18/18, S.D.C.: 50/50, I.S.P.: 12/12
Isaiah: HP: 16/16, S.D.C.: 29/29, I.S.P.: 13/13
Jake HP: 16/16, S.D.C. 70/70, I.S.P.: 11/11
"All things age. All things die. In the end, our sun burns out. Our universe grows cold and perishes. But the Dark Dimension, it’s the place beyond time."
GM of The Templar, Phase World: Galactic Rogues, Beyond the Supernatural: Old Gods of Appalachia
PP Ledger
User avatar
Isaiah Peirce
Posts: 34
Joined: Fri Aug 25, 2023 6:58 am

Re: Getting Their Bearings: Part Two

Post by Isaiah Peirce »

Perception: 1d100: [51] = 51 /40%
JiC: 1d20: [6] = 6 / 1d100: [34] = 34

Conditions: Sense Supernatural Evil (350ft) | Sixth Sense (Inactive)

Skills:
Lore, Paranormal and Psychics: 1d100: [62] = 62 /50% [Has Isaiah heard about the Psi-Mechanics or others that can create gear against the Supernatural]

Post:

Isaiah taps his pen on his notebook as George answers his question. Well, he knows the rep of the road. Thought I didn't know the route existed so long ago as well. Isaiah thinks to himself, and writes down Appalacians and it's suggested age for research later.
George wrote:”Not really, I was more bored than anything else, and was testing out some new hardware I built. The disappearances just seemed a good a thing as anything else. I have no idea what your goals are, though I’m not stressed to figure out the issue on route twenty either.”
This is a lightbulb moment for Isaiah. If he's being honest, he's just another hunter. Sounds like one who makes his own hunting gear. He'd be a valuable ally... but shows a notably indifference to the missing people. Sounds almost like we'd be expendable to him if we teamed up, but still. Isaiah considers, tapping his pen a couple more times on the lines of the missing folk.
George wrote:”If you want to investigate it as well, I don’t have any problems with it. You probably know more than I do about it anyways. If you join me on my stakeouts or not, is no big deal, and since I know you’re looking, I’ll make sure to pass anything off I see. Why do you guys care about missing people, you don’t look like cops or feds, or even Pinkertons?” ... ”I do to Isaiah, I do to.”
Isaiah nods. "None of the above. I care about missing people because someone has too. And if the mystery gets solved, then maybe people stop going missing on that route. I'm not against working together to solve this." Isaiah expands, pausing and closing his notebook. "I'm curious what hardware you were talking about. Would you care to show us what you were working on?" Isaiah asks.
"You know my problem with gut feelings? Once you have them, all the evidence you see is the evidence that supports your gut feeling. Human nature."
Paranormal Investigator Isaiah S. Peirce | EP Ledger

Important Numbers: Perception 40% | H.P.: 16 | S.D.C: 29 | I.S.P.: 13
Magic (varies): +1
Lethal Poison (14+): +3
Non-Lethal Poison (16+): +3
Insanity (12+): +1
Psionics (10): +3
Horror Factor (varies): +3
Mind Altering effects (magic, mental or drug): +3
User avatar
Sean Burke
Posts: 46
Joined: Tue Jul 11, 2023 10:47 am

Re: Getting Their Bearings: Part Two

Post by Sean Burke »

Perception: 30% vs 1d100: [44] = 44
JIC: 1d20: [19] = 19 and 1d100: [36] = 36
Conditions: None

Skills


Post

Sean listens to the man's replies, bored. Indifferent. Hmm...
Isaiah Peirce wrote: Thu May 30, 2024 8:23 am Isaiah nods. "None of the above. I care about missing people because someone has too. And if the mystery gets solved, then maybe people stop going missing on that route. I'm not against working together to solve this." Isaiah expands, pausing and closing his notebook. "I'm curious what hardware you were talking about. Would you care to show us what you were working on?" Isaiah asks.
Sean wonders if Isaih's reply mirrors his own beliefs.

With a smile he adds, "I am not sure I am as altruistic as my companion here. I have struggled with belief. Maybe my interest is purely understanding and survival. " Sean purses his lips in thought, then finishes, "Maybe I just don't want the victim to end up being me..."

After allowing everyone to chime in, Sean asks a final question, "George, what is it that got you into this wild business?"
User avatar
Zachary Splindt
Posts: 135
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2021 3:17 pm

Re: Getting Their Bearings: Part Two

Post by Zachary Splindt »

Perception: 1d100: [6] = 6 (26%)
JIC 1D100: 1d100: [24] = 24
JIC 1D20: 1d20: [18] = 18
Conditions: Closed to the Supernatural

Zachary is taken aback by George’s response, as the stranger answers everyone’s questions. Guess even after all this time, I still can’t quite get a grasp on these folks. the detective thinks to himself. Zachary puts the goggles back into his coat pocket and listens intently as the conversation continues.
Consumer wrote: Tue May 28, 2024 9:46 am George shakes his head. ”If you want to investigate it as well, I don’t have any problems with it. You probably know more than I do about it anyways. If you join me on my stakeouts or not, is no big deal, and since I know you’re looking, I’ll make sure to pass anything off I see. Why do you guys care about missing people, you don’t look like cops or feds, or even Pinkertons?” George asks.
Isaiah Peirce wrote: Thu May 30, 2024 8:23 am Isaiah nods. "None of the above. I care about missing people because someone has too. And if the mystery gets solved, then maybe people stop going missing on that route. I'm not against working together to solve this." Isaiah expands, pausing and closing his notebook. "I'm curious what hardware you were talking about. Would you care to show us what you were working on?" Isaiah asks.
Zachary raises an eyebrow to Isaiah’s reply. Fella’s got a moral anchor. Guess these Prosperity folk aren’t the only ones I couldn’t get a good read on.

Zachary considers his next words. “Guess that could be said for both of us,” Zachary begins, “Former Pinkerton myself, although those days are behind me now. Had to leave it behind over disagreements with the suits on methods, but took the goal with me. Getting ri- getting whatever’s causing the disappearances removed would give some peace of mind if it makes this place safer. Like my friend here however, I’m also curious about this hardware you’re talking about. Care to share?
User avatar
Consumer
Dimension Master
Posts: 1995
Joined: Sun Sep 13, 2009 2:26 pm
Location: GM/DM (The Templar, PW: Galactic Rogues, BTS:OGoA)
Contact:

Re: Getting Their Bearings: Part Two

Post by Consumer »

Getting their Bearings: Part Two
Time and Weather wrote:Location: On Route 20, Bellwood, West Virginia
Date: Wednesday, March 22nd, 1925. 6:10 PM (5 minutes has passed)
Weather: 52 degrees Fahrenheit; cloudy.
I.S.P. Modifier: x1
Case Notes: The Highway
Isaiah: Lore, Paranormal and Psychics [Has Isaiah heard about the Psi-Mechanics or others that can create gear against the Supernatural] Nothing comes to mind.

Isaiah wrote:"None of the above. I care about missing people because someone has too. And if the mystery gets solved, then maybe people stop going missing on that route. I'm not against working together to solve this... I'm curious what hardware you were talking about. Would you care to show us what you were working on?"
Isaiah’s reasoning explained doesn’t seem to elicit much of an emotional response, George just kind of shrugs. ”I doubt any of the missing folk are alive anymore. Though I do agree the world would likely be a better place if whatever is doing it stopped.” George says. Pausing for a moment. ”As for what I was working on… It’s hard to explain, and to be perfectly honest you likely won’t understand it anyways. But if you insist…” George says as he reaches into his jacket. It’s at this moment that Carl speaks up from his seat. ”No George! Not in my restaurant!” The older black proprietor says sternly. George shrugs and pulls his hand out of his jacket. ”Sorry, I have a bit of a reputation with Carl.” George says softly.
Sean wrote:"I am not sure I am as altruistic as my companion here. I have struggled with belief. Maybe my interest is purely understanding and survival... Maybe I just don't want the victim to end up being me... George, what is it that got you into this wild business?"
George nods. ”All types get dragged into this life, many against their will. I just do it for fun, beats doing normal things all the time.” George says. Carl has gone back to ignoring the group, as Cathy the mid-shift waitress returns to the table to refill coffee cups and replenish cream and sugar containers. She quickly sashays off once done.
Zachary wrote:Guess that could be said for both of us, Former Pinkerton myself, although those days are behind me now. Had to leave it behind over disagreements with the suits on methods, but took the goal with me. Getting ri- getting whatever’s causing the disappearances removed would give some peace of mind if it makes this place safer. Like my friend here however, I’m also curious about this hardware you’re talking about. Care to share?
George shrugs. ”I suppose, but… you heard Carl, so not here. Carl is the kind of fellow you don’t want to be on the bad side of.” George says as he pulls a piece of paper and a pen from his jacket pocket, a quick scribble, he passes it to the group. ”My shop address, you can feel free to visit if you’d like.” George says. ”Any other questions?” He adds.

What Are Your Intentions?

Zachary: HP: 42/42, S.D.C. 29/29, I.S.P.: 9/9
Sean: HP:18/18, S.D.C.: 50/50, I.S.P.: 12/12
Isaiah: HP: 16/16, S.D.C.: 29/29, I.S.P.: 13/13
Jake HP: 16/16, S.D.C. 70/70, I.S.P.: 11/11
"All things age. All things die. In the end, our sun burns out. Our universe grows cold and perishes. But the Dark Dimension, it’s the place beyond time."
GM of The Templar, Phase World: Galactic Rogues, Beyond the Supernatural: Old Gods of Appalachia
PP Ledger
User avatar
Isaiah Peirce
Posts: 34
Joined: Fri Aug 25, 2023 6:58 am

Re: Getting Their Bearings: Part Two

Post by Isaiah Peirce »

Perception: 1d100: [70] = 70 /43%
JiC: 1d20: [4] = 4 / 1d100: [29] = 29

Conditions: Sense Supernatural Evil (350ft) | Sixth Sense (Inactive)

Skills:


Post:

Isaiah listens to George as he talks and responds to his comments. In it for the thrills. That can be dangerous but also could be a good thing. And even if all the victims are already dead, it'd be better they are laid to rest properly instead of anchored to this world through some unnatural death. Isaiah ponders, not sharing this with the others for now. Isaiah's compass undeterred by the dismissive nature of any others. Someone has too. The thought crosses his mind again.
George wrote:”I suppose, but… you heard Carl, so not here. Carl is the kind of fellow you don’t want to be on the bad side of.” ... ”My shop address, you can feel free to visit if you’d like.” George says. ”Any other questions?”
Isaiah takes the note with George's workshop address and slips it into his journal for safe keeping. "Two, this town have a public library?" Isaiah asks and regardless of the answer, he'll nod. "And when would be a good time to stop by the shop? I'm quite curious." Isaiah asks. He'll finish whatever drink he has and stand to leave. "Thank you for the meet."

Once outside and away from others, he'll turn to his allies. "I'm not too keen too go back out to that road without some more information about what we're hunting. We'd be going in blind. I want to check out his workshop, and any other libraries that might be in the area. Knowledge is one of the greatest weapons we can have." Isaiah suggests.

Depending on what George said about a good time to visit, he will either drive to George's workshop if George was open for that tonight, or return to the Estate. Deciding it is too late to go to a public library that may or may not exist, and instead trying to organize the library in the estate so he can better use his time.
"You know my problem with gut feelings? Once you have them, all the evidence you see is the evidence that supports your gut feeling. Human nature."
Paranormal Investigator Isaiah S. Peirce | EP Ledger

Important Numbers: Perception 40% | H.P.: 16 | S.D.C: 29 | I.S.P.: 13
Magic (varies): +1
Lethal Poison (14+): +3
Non-Lethal Poison (16+): +3
Insanity (12+): +1
Psionics (10): +3
Horror Factor (varies): +3
Mind Altering effects (magic, mental or drug): +3
User avatar
Sean Burke
Posts: 46
Joined: Tue Jul 11, 2023 10:47 am

Re: Getting Their Bearings: Part Two

Post by Sean Burke »

Perception: 30% vs 1d100: [48] = 48
JIC: 1d20: [14] = 14 and 1d100: [99] = 99
Conditions: None

Skills




Post
Consumer wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2024 5:25 pm ”Any other questions?” He adds.
Sean watches the man and the interaction with Carl, He knows Carl, Carl knows him. He created this thing for a reason. He had an intent in mind. He thinks it will relate to whatever is causing problems on the highway... He must know more that we do."

Sean nods then asks, "Have they all been disappearances, anything left behind that you heard of? If there were any bodies, or vehicles found... Maybe the condition will help guide our research."

Sean allows the man to answer, then finishes with, "Maybe we can come by tonight?" He glances around the diner, then back to George, "We will be able to speak more freely anyway, I think you might be much further ahead on this than we are."

When the conversation is over, Sean follows the others outside.
Isaiah Peirce wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2024 8:25 am Once outside and away from others, he'll turn to his allies. "I'm not too keen too go back out to that road without some more information about what we're hunting. We'd be going in blind. I want to check out his workshop, and any other libraries that might be in the area. Knowledge is one of the greatest weapons we can have." Isaiah suggests.
Sean tilts his head slightly, " I think this hardware of his has a purpose. He has to have a little better idea what it is. Knowing what it is and what it does will likely be a good bit of information."

If George was open to the group coming by tonight, Sean will push for that, "We should go see what this thing is. It might actually help with a direction of where we look to next."
User avatar
Zachary Splindt
Posts: 135
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2021 3:17 pm

Re: Getting Their Bearings: Part Two

Post by Zachary Splindt »

Perception: 1d100: [1] = 1 (26%)
JIC 1D100: 1d100: [65] = 65
JIC 1D20: 1d20: [5] = 5
Conditions: Closed to the Supernatural
Research: 1d100: [22] = 22 (80%)
Consumer wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2024 5:25 pm Isaiah’s reasoning explained doesn’t seem to elicit much of an emotional response, George just kind of shrugs. ”I doubt any of the missing folk are alive anymore. Though I do agree the world would likely be a better place if whatever is doing it stopped.” George says. Pausing for a moment. ”As for what I was working on… It’s hard to explain, and to be perfectly honest you likely won’t understand it anyways. But if you insist…” George says as he reaches into his jacket. It’s at this moment that Carl speaks up from his seat. ”No George! Not in my restaurant!” The older black proprietor says sternly. George shrugs and pulls his hand out of his jacket. ”Sorry, I have a bit of a reputation with Carl.” George says softly.
Zachary nods in acknowledgment, but steals a glance at Carl. Guess we're not the only ones in Carl's loop with the strange happenings going on in this town. Still, wonder what could possibly raise the alarms like that. Zachary's memory drifts to a short while earlier, in which Carl warned them about speaking of the paranormal so openly. Must be the same caution, think s Zachary to himself, as the ongoing conversation draws his attention.
Isaiah Peirce wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2024 8:25 am
George wrote:”I suppose, but… you heard Carl, so not here. Carl is the kind of fellow you don’t want to be on the bad side of.” ... ”My shop address, you can feel free to visit if you’d like.” George says. ”Any other questions?”
Isaiah takes the note with George's workshop address and slips it into his journal for safe keeping. "Two, this town have a public library?" Isaiah asks and regardless of the answer, he'll nod. "And when would be a good time to stop by the shop? I'm quite curious." Isaiah asks.
"Thanks for the address. Guess I had a couple questions of my own, if you don't mind of course" adds Zachary. "What you were looking for out there, would you say it was a creature or an... event? You know, like a rainstorm? You also seemed to have a good guess as to when it ran off, back when we were discussing things on the highway. Are you familiar with its behavior? Perhaps something this 'hardware' of yours can explain?" Zachary sits back and listens intently to George's responses to both his and Isaiah's questions. We may not know what this thing is, but if this thing is animalistic like those hounds and has some kind of similarity to the wildlife, maybe we can at least infer more details on what to expect from this... thing on the highway. Having heard George's responses, Zachary will give him his thanks and join Isaiah and Sean outside.
Sean Burke wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2024 7:31 am
Isaiah Peirce wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2024 8:25 am Once outside and away from others, he'll turn to his allies. "I'm not too keen too go back out to that road without some more information about what we're hunting. We'd be going in blind. I want to check out his workshop, and any other libraries that might be in the area. Knowledge is one of the greatest weapons we can have." Isaiah suggests.
Sean tilts his head slightly, " I think this hardware of his has a purpose. He has to have a little better idea what it is. Knowing what it is and what it does will likely be a good bit of information."

If George was open to the group coming by tonight, Sean will push for that, "We should go see what this thing is. It might actually help with a direction of where we look to next."
Zachary nods, but adds "Perhaps it might be helpful, but he did mention that this 'hardware' would not exactly be something we understand, Like you said Sean, might give us a direction of where to go next." Zachary fidgets with the goggles in his pocket. "Wonder if it's a tool only he can use. Might explain why we wouldn't understand it if it's meant specifically for him."

If George was open to the group coming, Zachary will concur with Sean and Isaiah. If not, but George divulged any details concerning the entity's behavior, Zachary will check the Whitlach library for books on the local wildlife and try to find similarities between the behavior outlined and the local fauna (Research). Otherwise, Zachary will assist Isaiah in organizing the library.
User avatar
Consumer
Dimension Master
Posts: 1995
Joined: Sun Sep 13, 2009 2:26 pm
Location: GM/DM (The Templar, PW: Galactic Rogues, BTS:OGoA)
Contact:

Re: Getting Their Bearings: Part Two

Post by Consumer »

Getting their Bearings: Part Two
Time and Weather wrote:Location: Carl’s Diner, Prosperity, West Virginia
Date: Wednesday, March 22nd, 1925. 7:10 PM (1 hour has passed)
Weather: 52 degrees Fahrenheit; cloudy.
I.S.P. Modifier: x1
Case Notes: The Highway

Isaiah wrote:"And when would be a good time to stop by the shop? I'm quite curious. Thank you for the meet."
George looks to Isaiah. ”Sometime tomorrow, I have work to do tonight.” George says.
Sean wrote:"Have they all been disappearances, anything left behind that you heard of? If there were any bodies, or vehicles found... Maybe the condition will help guide our research."
George shrugs. ”I think a few of the vehicles were recovered months later, but not a single missing person has turned up.” George answers.
Sean wrote:"Maybe we can come by tonight? We will be able to speak more freely anyway, I think you might be much further ahead on this than we are."
George shakes his head. ”Tomorrow sometime. I have things to do tonight.” George says.
Zachary wrote:"Thanks for the address. Guess I had a couple questions of my own, if you don't mind of course. What you were looking for out there, would you say it was a creature or an... event? You know, like a rainstorm? You also seemed to have a good guess as to when it ran off, back when we were discussing things on the highway. Are you familiar with its behavior? Perhaps something this 'hardware' of yours can explain?"
George smiles and listens. ”What I was looking for, no idea, was more or less winging it. No idea what is doing it, haven’t even made a speculation yet. Like I said, it sounds like you know more about it than I do. I just know people seem to go missing on that road in the middle of the night, and I wondered why. No, my hardware doesn’t explain anything at the moment, as I was interrupted in my field test.” George says.

”Either way, I’ll see you gents tomorrow.” George says, before walking over to quietly say something to Carl, before leaving.

The investigators finish their coffees and make for their respective cars.
Isaiah wrote:"I'm not too keen too go back out to that road without some more information about what we're hunting. We'd be going in blind. I want to check out his workshop, and any other libraries that might be in the area. Knowledge is one of the greatest weapons we can have."
Sean wrote:" I think this hardware of his has a purpose. He has to have a little better idea what it is. Knowing what it is and what it does will likely be a good bit of information. We should go see what this thing is. It might actually help with a direction of where we look to next."
Zachary wrote:"Perhaps it might be helpful, but he did mention that this 'hardware' would not exactly be something we understand, Like you said Sean, might give us a direction of where to go next. Wonder if it's a tool only he can use. Might explain why we wouldn't understand it if it's meant specifically for him."
Once the group is on the road, Jake asks Isaiah to drop him off at his home which isn’t too far from Carl’s. Before they head back to Whitlach Manor. About an hour later, the group finds itself alone at the mysterious old house. Darkness has fallen, as the sun has dipped fully behind the mountains, leaving the chill night air awash with the sounds of the usual nightlife.

What Are Your Intentions?

Zachary: HP: 42/42, S.D.C. 29/29, I.S.P.: 9/9
Sean: HP:18/18, S.D.C.: 50/50, I.S.P.: 12/12
Isaiah: HP: 16/16, S.D.C.: 29/29, I.S.P.: 13/13
Jake HP: 16/16, S.D.C. 70/70, I.S.P.: 11/11
"All things age. All things die. In the end, our sun burns out. Our universe grows cold and perishes. But the Dark Dimension, it’s the place beyond time."
GM of The Templar, Phase World: Galactic Rogues, Beyond the Supernatural: Old Gods of Appalachia
PP Ledger
User avatar
Isaiah Peirce
Posts: 34
Joined: Fri Aug 25, 2023 6:58 am

Re: Getting Their Bearings: Part Two

Post by Isaiah Peirce »

Perception: 1d100: [64] = 64 /43%
JiC: 1d20: [10] = 10 / 1d100: [39] = 39

Conditions: Sense Supernatural Evil (350ft) | Sixth Sense (Inactive)

Skills:
Literacy, English: 1d100: [14] = 14 /107% [Sort out the library and look for relevant books]
Intelligence: 1d100: [47] = 47 /54% [Is there a pattern in disappearances? Time wise, season wise, anything of note or random?]
Research: 1d100: [18] = 18 /60% [Look for any information about the road and land before and after it's construction]

Post:
George wrote:”Sometime tomorrow, I have work to do tonight.”
Isaiah nods. "Tomorrow it is." Isaiah confirms with George before leaving himself. He doesn't bother Carl with what George might've said to him and drops Jake off at his own place before returning to the Manor. To the others at the Manor, Isaiah nods. "I plan to head over to his workshop sometime tomorrow morning, say 10 A.M. if anyone wants to ride with me I'll be taking the car for now. Hopefully Whitlach doesn't mind us using it while we're here." Isaiah comments before looking towards the library.

"I'm going to go try digging through that poor excuse for a library upstairs for a few hours. Going to see if I can't find some more detailed history about the land the road was built on. Might help determine if something got woken up, or moved in. Also going to try revisiting the victims to see if there is any sort of pattern to their disappearances. Time cycles or something. Anyone is welcome to help." Isaiah offers before heading back up to the library within the Manor.

Isaiah will first clear a table for him to begin working, and look through his notebook. He'll attempt to put the dates into a pattern and see if one exists or if it's random. Few things are ever actually random... Isaiah finds himself thinking. Then he'll spend some time digging through the books, looking at titles and publication dates to find information on the land before the road was made or anything else of note. Isaiah will only take breaks to get a new cup of tea, and plans to bed down by 11PM-Midnight.
"You know my problem with gut feelings? Once you have them, all the evidence you see is the evidence that supports your gut feeling. Human nature."
Paranormal Investigator Isaiah S. Peirce | EP Ledger

Important Numbers: Perception 40% | H.P.: 16 | S.D.C: 29 | I.S.P.: 13
Magic (varies): +1
Lethal Poison (14+): +3
Non-Lethal Poison (16+): +3
Insanity (12+): +1
Psionics (10): +3
Horror Factor (varies): +3
Mind Altering effects (magic, mental or drug): +3
Post Reply

Return to “Horror from the Dark”