The Princess Bride : Endgame

Only adventured-related threads are found here.
Post Reply
User avatar
Locknar
Dimension Master
Posts: 409
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2015 11:56 am
Location: PFRPG GM & DM

The Princess Bride : Endgame

Post by Locknar »

The Midnight Bell Tolls...
The Temple of Astra
Date: 24 September, 345
Weather: Cloudless night
Time: Midnight

Alwin, Granas, Ivy, Mürrischer, Rigel (NPC), Captain Tomass (NPC), Runidia, Tolliver

  • 3 other Daggers thrown at Ivy.
  • Broken dagger (blade in Trask, hilt found elsewhere)



Midnight strikes with a single, deep boom. It resonates through the halls of the Temple of Astra. Captain Tomass, his weathered face grim beneath his plumed helmet, glances at Rigel, our lone surviving priest left standing after the day's bloody purge.

"Not a bell we have," answers Rigel. The young man's hand dart towards the clasp of his black robes. With a practiced flick, he unfastens the garment, letting it pool at his feet like a fallen night sky. Beneath the starry fabric, a different Rigel stands revealed. No, Dear Readers, Rigel is not running nude. Rather, a well-worn leather jerkin, bearing the faint scars of past fights, hugs his torso. A simple linen shirt peeks out from beneath, contrasting with the sturdy leather pants. A deep blue cloak, the color of the ocean, hangs loosely from his shoulders. At his hip, a shortsword gleams, the same weapon glimpsed earlier this day in a tense moment. This is no longer the young acolyte you first met, and he appears
Rigel.png
Rigel.png (61.63 KiB) Viewed 971 times
.

As if in response to Rigel's words, a flicker of blue light erupts on the worn timber floor of the main hall. It pulses once, then twice, before blossoming into a vibrant mote of pure energy. A collective gasp ripples through the ranks of the Captain's soldiers, their armor clinking softly. The mote didn't rise to form a door-shape as most expect. Instead, it spreads outward, like a pebble disturbing a still pond. The blue energy ripples and flows, its edges growing crisper, solidifying into a shimmering disc. It pulses with an otherworldly luminescence, casting an eerie, ethereal glow upon the faces of the assembled warriors.

"Step back, men!" Captain Tomass bellows in a practiced voice of authority. The soldiers slowly back away from the expanding portal. Unlike traditional depictions, this gateway isn't a vertical tear in reality. It stretches horizontally across the floor, transforming the polished wood into a perfect circle of shimmering, energy disc that vaguely resembles water. The men, weapons held tightly in their hands, form a loose ring around the fantastical pool of radiance, their gazes darting nervously between their Captain and the swirling vortex of blue energy before them.

Peering within, you see a densely forested land unlike any folk from this region would have seen before.
_7d9f28bf-d1f5-40c8-9a5c-b03fd8b593f6.jpg
WHAT ARE YOUR INTENTIONS?


Butcher's Bill
Alwin: 37/37 H.P., 40/40 S.D.C.: 40, 64/110 P.P.E.
Granas: 41/41 H.P., 22/22 S.D.C., 6/54 I.S.P., 143/245 P.P.E.
Ivy: 18/22 H.P., 23/23 S.D.C., 27/41 I.S.P. | Armor: Cloak of Protection (AR 14 : 33/150 SDC)
Mürrischer: 30/30 H.P., 9/29 S.D.C., 28/28 I.S.P.
Runidia: 28/28 H.P., 30/30 S.D.C., 12/12 P.P.E.| Armor: Dwarf Plate AR: 17; 160/160 | Shield 100/100
Tolliver: 49/49 H.P., 71/71 S.D.C., 27/44 I.S.P. | Armor: Splint Mail AR: 16; 82/82;
-= Palladium Fantasy DM =-
User avatar
Alwin
Posts: 146
Joined: Thu Oct 06, 2022 6:54 am

Re: The Princess Bride : Endgame

Post by Alwin »

Perception: 37% vs 1d100: [59] = 59
JIC: 1d20: [18] = 18 and 1d100: [31] = 31

Conditions:

Skills

Invisibility: Simple (6) - 15 minutes

Post

Alwin look to the scene in front of him, "Looks like a hike. I half expected the portal to drop us at the gates of a castle." The elf takes a deep breath and steadies himself. "I'll go first... " Alwin allows the words of magic for the spell of invisibility to pass his lips as he prepares. No point in neglecting to take precautions..

Once invisible the elf will step towards the portal, "They didn't bother to cover their tracks. They either don't believe they can be followed, or they don't care." With the final comment, the elf steps through the portal.

Once on the other side Alin will look for any potential threats as the others make their way through. Not too many options, seems like we will be following the tracks.
User avatar
Ivy
Posts: 126
Joined: Mon Feb 06, 2023 4:21 pm

Re: The Princess Bride : Endgame

Post by Ivy »

Perception: 1d100: [21] = 21 /38%
Just in Case: 1d20: [16] = 16 ; 1d100: [64] = 64


Once invisible the elf will step towards the portal, "They didn't bother to cover their tracks. They either don't believe they can be followed, or they don't care." With the final comment, the elf steps through the portal.
"Where's the keep?" Ivy asks aloud as Alwin jumps through. Something else disturbs her, and for a moment she is not sure what. "Something is off... what is it?" Then she sees it.

Why is it not night in that forest?

Ivy frowns. "Does anyone else notice," she asks those that don't immediately jump in, "that it's midnight here, yet broad daylight on the other side? Just how far – or perhaps when – are we about to travel?"

Did the text about the Wayfarer's Keep say anything about time travel? Or can it cross worlds? Oh I wish I had more time to read.

She turns to the others. "So we're all going to just blunder in and hope for the best?"
Dice rolls
1d100: [64] = 64
1d20: [16] = 16
1d100: [21] = 21
Last edited by Ivy on Thu Apr 25, 2024 12:37 am, edited 2 times in total.
User avatar
Granas
Posts: 97
Joined: Thu Apr 20, 2023 6:40 am

Re: The Princess Bride : Endgame

Post by Granas »

Perception: 1d100: [39] = 39 /46%
JiC: 1d100: [64] = 64 / 1d20: [1] = 1

Conditions: Sixth Sense [Inactive, 2ISP] | I.S.P. used: 4/54 | PPE used: 129/245 | Spell Strength: 15 | Familiar Empathetic/Telepathic Link 600ft | [4hrs, Flight 50mph] | Charismatic Aura [24m | 60ft]

Skye remains close to Granas unless otherwise instructed.

Track by Sight: 1d100: [31] = 31 /88%
Track by Smell: 1d100: [86] = 86 /60%
Prowl: 1d100: [31] = 31 /88% (Not getting shot at)


Skills
Wilderness Survival: 1d100: [18] = 18 /77% [Judge the environment's dangers on the other side of the portal using his experience, does it look like a place he's visited or heard about]

Post

[The summoning]

As the marshmallow golem begins to take shape, Granas can be seen smiling as the magic scroll he found proves to be true. As Granas watches the Golem come to life, the three distinct pulses catch the wizards eye. An after effect of the spear's magic, perhaps? Granas muses though continues watching. Not the most orthadox golem, but seeing it come to life prompts a nod.
The Marshmallow Woman turns her milky white gaze towards Granas, and the wizard feels a silent question hanging in the air.

She is alive; her form graceful, imposing. A guardian of sweetness and light, ready to answer the wizard's call.
Granas smiles, nods once and steps forward to address the Golem. I remember this from Bastilla's teachings. A magical construct like this requires concise direction with little room for interpretation or grey area.. Granas takes a breathe and then speaks. "Golem. You will be identified as Mallow. You will follow me and protect me and everyone you see around me here as we travel. Do not wander away from us. Do not attack anyone here." Granas states, ingraining his first simple set of commands into the golem before turning to the others. "Mallow is a herb, seems fitting. By and large, Golems cannot receive complicated orders. I am also not entirely sure of Mallow's capabilities. Unfortunately, we may not find out until we need them but this golem will certainly be an asset." Granas then explains to the soldiers and his teammates. I hope the commands I just said weren't too complicated; I can't wait to tell Bastilla about this. Granas temporarily muses with a soft smile.

Before the bell tolls, Granas turns to Mallow. "Remain here and be vigilant. We expect to leave soon." Granas orders the golem that way it doesn't try following him inside and messing up the building during the wait.

[The bell's toll]

When the bell tolls, Granas glances at Rigel as he explains it's not a church bell. A deific bell, then. Following Ivy's god. I am still not a fan of being under the eye of a god. Granas briefly ponders, the simple mage never considering himself a hero. When Rigel reappears ready to go, Granas can't help but wonder. Maybe he used to travel, too. It's common for priests to travel during their years, no? Granas considers to himself before asking Rigel. "The look of a missionary, almost. Do some traveling in earlier years, Master Rigel?" Granas asks.

When the portal opens on the Temple floor, Granas watches it's formation with awe and steps back to give it ample space. Granas clicks his tongue and soon after, Skye lands on his shoulder in a practiced precision as they stare at the portal. "Don't get your hopes up." Granas says to Skye, nuzzling the bird as it chirps in response. Let's get a lay of the land, bud. You'll be staying close, beautiful nature often hides the deadliest predators. Granas tells his familiar silently before turning to the others.


Alwin wrote:"Looks like a hike. I half expected the portal to drop us at the gates of a castle." ... "I'll go first... "
Granas chuckles. "Since when do missions given by deities ever come without challenges? That is among the most fantastical theological stories, no? When questing for their god through great hardship." Granas says jovially, possibly slightly mocking though it is hard to tell. If the gods actually cared about our wellbeing, they would not allow such evil in the first place. No, we are entertainment. Nothing more. Granas muses to himself, not daring to speak such words in front of Ivy or Rigel.

Ivy wrote:"Where's the keep?" "Something is off... what is it?" "Does anyone else notice," "that it's midnight here, yet broad daylight on the other side? Just how far – or perhaps when – are we about to travel?"


Granas examines the portal. "Hmm?" He responds quizically to Ivy's statement before nodding. "Appears to be midday at least where here it is midnight. I wonder if this Changeling Keep is even on the same continent?" Granas ponders
Ivy wrote:"So we're all going to just blunder in and hope for the best?"
Granas turns to Ivy with a half-nod. "Well, this was a mission from your god, no? I would hope they wouldn't drop us in danger, which might be why we are farther from the keep." Granas considers. "The keep is likely not terribly far from this drop. The fact we can't see it means the keep can't see our portal." Granas adds, then looking at the others in the group.

"I will go in second with the Golem. I suggest Captain Tomass and the guards who are willing to follow me. Then, the remainder of us go through in a final step. Perhaps the guards could then set up a circle around the portal, uh, what is the term.. a perimeter? Masters Alwin and Mürrischer could be advanced scouts to locate the keep?" Granas suggests as a plan of action. "The primary mission being to rescue Luna before she is lost to us. Then to stop this prince if we can." Granas reiterates his priorities. "Before we loose access to the Ley Line, I will augment everyone with Armor of Ithan. It won't last for more than 8 minutes, but should we come under immediate attack, it will help us." Granas finishes.

If no one dissents to his proposed plan, Granas will fetch the Golem and order it to carefully enter the temple then to go through the portal and hold on the other side until Granas follows. Granas will then cast Armor of Ithan [8min | A.R.: 18 | 180 SDC | Magic Fire, Lightning and Cold do half damage.] on everyone drawing on the Ley Line's energy and not using his own pool of magic. He will then step through after the Golem.

Before crossing through the portal himself, Granas will mentally connect with Skye. Alright bud, let's try something out. Going to channel some of my magic through you so you will become invisible. When we get to the other side, scout out the area around is carefully and do not roam. Stay within 300ft. Granas tells his familiar, then will focus the magic "Invisibility Simple" through Skye to make the familiar invisible. If it doesn't work for whatever reason, Granas will not send Skye to scout.
Granas, the traveling mage
Coma/Death:
Magic (varies): +4 (+1 to save vs magic at levels 9, 12 and 15)
Lethal Poison (14+):
Non-Lethal Poison (16+):
Insanity (12+):
Psionics (varies):
Horror Factor (varies): +4

PPE: 245/245 || ISP: 54/54 || HP: 41/41 | SDC: 22/22
Please Do Not PM This Account, PM Underguard Instead
User avatar
Mürrischer Reisender
Posts: 93
Joined: Sun Jan 08, 2023 10:28 am

Re: The Princess Bride : Endgame

Post by Mürrischer Reisender »

Perception: 1d100: [20] = 20 /43%
JIC: 1d20: [14] = 14 / 1d100: [25] = 25
Locknar wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 4:13 amMidnight strikes with a single, deep boom. It resonates through the halls of the Temple of Astra. Captain Tomass, his weathered face grim beneath his plumed helmet, glances at Rigel, our lone surviving priest left standing after the day's bloody purge.
He covers an ear, his hearing likely superbly better than everyone else's to the toll of the bell. I guess it's midnight.
Locknar wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 4:13 am"Not a bell we have," answers Rigel. The young man's hand dart towards the clasp of his black robes. With a practiced flick, he unfastens the garment, letting it pool at his feet like a fallen night sky. Beneath the starry fabric, a different Rigel stands revealed. No, Dear Readers, Rigel is not running nude. Rather, a well-worn leather jerkin, bearing the faint scars of past fights, hugs his torso. A simple linen shirt peeks out from beneath, contrasting with the sturdy leather pants. A deep blue cloak, the color of the ocean, hangs loosely from his shoulders. At his hip, a shortsword gleams, the same weapon glimpsed earlier this day in a tense moment. This is no longer the young acolyte you first met, and he appears
Rigel.png
.
He turns his head, removing his hand from his ear to the words spoken. "Gut to know."
Locknar wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 4:13 amAs if in response to Rigel's words, a flicker of blue light erupts on the worn timber floor of the main hall. It pulses once, then twice, before blossoming into a vibrant mote of pure energy. A collective gasp ripples through the ranks of the Captain's soldiers, their armor clinking softly. The mote didn't rise to form a door-shape as most expect. Instead, it spreads outward, like a pebble disturbing a still pond. The blue energy ripples and flows, its edges growing crisper, solidifying into a shimmering disc. It pulses with an otherworldly luminescence, casting an eerie, ethereal glow upon the faces of the assembled warriors.
Alwin wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 10:35 amAlwin look to the scene in front of him, "Looks like a hike. I half expected the portal to drop us at the gates of a castle." The elf takes a deep breath and steadies himself. "I'll go first... " Alwin allows the words of magic for the spell of invisibility to pass his lips as he prepares. No point in neglecting to take precautions..
"Well he didn't waste his time." He says after watching the portal open and seeing Alwin virtually disappear through and strongly considers doing the same with just as little thought what was on the other side.
Ivy wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 3:27 pmIvy frowns. "Does anyone else notice," she asks those that don't immediately jump in, "that it's midnight here, yet broad daylight on the other side? Just how far – or perhaps when – are we about to travel?"
"Ja" He nods in affirmative, "But through is the way we muss go."
Granas wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 11:21 pm"I will go in second with the Golem. I suggest Captain Tomass and the guards who are willing to follow me. Then, the remainder of us go through in a final step. Perhaps the guards could then set up a circle around the portal, uh, what is the term.. a perimeter? Masters Alwin and Mürrischer could be advanced scouts to locate the keep?" Granas suggests as a plan of action. "The primary mission being to rescue Luna before she is lost to us. Then to stop this prince if we can." Granas reiterates his priorities. "Before we loose access to the Ley Line, I will augment everyone with Armor of Ithan. It won't last for more than 8 minutes, but should we come under immediate attack, it will help us." Granas finishes.
"Already the plan." He says and steps through without waiting for the second half of Granas' question.

Once through, he take takes better inventory and gets an idea where he has just found himself. The sight of tracks gives him a better idea how he'll go about finding his way forward in the strange new land. hugging whatever cover may be near the trail, the Wolfen keeps low to keep himself out of view as he sniffs, follows, and stays vigilant for anyone or anything that may be lurking outside of his immediate sight through his peripheral and sense of smell. Knowing how far ahead he'll find himself of the captain's soldiers, he decides he'll use his cloak for this part of the adventure, and gets it from where he's been keeping it and on.

Track Humanoids 1d100: [24] = 24 /60% Keep track of the tracks and the direction they're going.
Prowl 1d100: [97] = 97 /45% [Cloak of Shadows adds an additional +20% to his percentage]
Wilderness Survival 1d100: [100] = 100 /70% Identify the kind of environment he's in and will be traveling through.
Detect Ambush 1d100: [6] = 6 /55%
Track Blood Scent 1d100: [10] = 10 /36% Keep track of identified scents.
Recognise Scent 1d100: [32] = 32 /32% Catch wind of scents unfamiliar to him.
Recognise Scent 1d100: [76] = 76 /32% Identify Luna's scent.

If the damn elf were smarter we'd've been able to keep in contact in case something happens before the others catch up. He thinks, considering there could've been telepathic communication.
Mürrischer Mürrischer | Ledger Ledger
User avatar
Tolliver Trask
Posts: 245
Joined: Tue Jun 06, 2017 5:54 pm
Contact:

Re: The Princess Bride : Endgame

Post by Tolliver Trask »

Perception: 1d100: [35] = 35 /65%
Just in Case: 1d20: [15] = 15 , 1d100: [16] = 16
Conditions: Sixth Sense (Inactive), Ambidextrous, Resistant to Cold (Soupcon; 1/2 damage from Cold based attacks).
HP: 54/54
S.D.C.: 71/71
I.S.P.: 27/44
P.P.E.: 10/10
Armor: Splint Mail AR: 16; 82/82; -15% Prowl, Spd reduced by 20%
Tower Shield of the Hex Indestructible


Wilderness Survival 1d100: [74] = 74 /75% (Anything to worry about immediately?)
Land Navigation 1d100: [31] = 31 /50% (Keep a mental map of where we're going.)
Track Humanoids 1d100: [34] = 34 /30% (Follow the footprints.)

When the portal opens, Trask taps his pipe out and stuffs it back into his tobacco pouch. "Guess this is the portal then." Trask says humorlessly, as he stands up and grabs his lucern hammer from the spot it leans against the wall.
Alwin wrote:"Looks like a hike. I half expected the portal to drop us at the gates of a castle."
Trask snorts. "Gods are rarely so convenient." Trask says given his recent experiences.
Alwin wrote:"I'll go first... They didn't bother to cover their tracks. They either don't believe they can be followed, or they don't care."
Trask watches Alwin cast his spells and vanish. I'll assume he went through. Alwin continued talking at least confirms he's through. "Likely not, we're not exactly going in an orthodox manner." Trask says.
Ivy wrote:"Where's the keep? Something is off... what is it? Does anyone else notice, that it's midnight here, yet broad daylight on the other side? Just how far – or perhaps when – are we about to travel?"
"Probably at the end of the trail." Trask says when she points out the time difference. "I haven't the foggiest, likely magic."
Ivy wrote:"So we're all going to just blunder in and hope for the best?"
"Works surprisingly well most times." Trask says.
Granas wrote:"Appears to be midday at least where here it is midnight. I wonder if this Changeling Keep is even on the same continent?"
"Might not even be the same plane of existence." Trask says, as if this was normal to him.

Granas' plan doesn't bother Trask, so the grizzled merc doesn't say anything, just nods. Trask waits for the crew to make it's way through the portal, before following at the end. "Another day in corp... Suicide Kings do or die." Trask says softly as he steps through. The old man takes a few moments to take in the surroundings, considering the unthought of details before following the group.
"Tonight, boys, we're eating like kings. We've all tasted death too much it seems." ~Shawn James
Tolliver Trask; The Suicide King
User avatar
Runidia Shatterhelm
Posts: 23
Joined: Tue Aug 22, 2023 12:53 pm

Re: The Princess Bride : Endgame

Post by Runidia Shatterhelm »

Perception: 1d100: [13] = 13 / 36%
JiC d100: 1d100: [98] = 98 ; JiC d20: 1d20: [7] = 7

Runidia watches the formation of the golem, raising an eyebrow at the finished product. Taking a moment to look the construct over, she turns to Granas. "An interestin' form she's got there. Rather pretty lass fer a golem." Still, the dwarf doesn't question the magic that brought the confections to life, instead giving the golem a nod and standing near the portal, once she's gone and gathered up Belle. She's already in the saddle by the time the portal's opened.

At the bright light of the noon sky, Runidia raises an arm to lessen the effect on her nightvision, letting her eyes slowly adjust. Belle begins to step away, and Runidia has to give her both a commanding cluck and a reassuring neckrub to get the warhorse to clam down. Easy there. Jus' magic, girl, if a bit fancier than the priests ever liked ta cast.
Ivy wrote:Ivy frowns. "Does anyone else notice," she asks those that don't immediately jump in, "that it's midnight here, yet broad daylight on the other side? Just how far – or perhaps when – are we about to travel?"...

...She turns to the others. "So we're all going to just blunder in and hope for the best?"
Runidia squints at the daylight beyond the portal, and gives the group's other diminutive companion a shrug. "Leaves me wonderin' if'n we'll get back so easily as we'll be goin'. A plan's always a good idea. Runnin' in and gettin' cut down by a bunch o' changelings pretendin' ta be trees an' what not doesn't sound so fine a plan ta me."
Granas wrote:"I will go in second with the Golem. I suggest Captain Tomass and the guards who are willing to follow me. Then, the remainder of us go through in a final step. Perhaps the guards could then set up a circle around the portal, uh, what is the term.. a perimeter? Masters Alwin and Mürrischer could be advanced scouts to locate the keep?" Granas suggests as a plan of action. "The primary mission being to rescue Luna before she is lost to us. Then to stop this prince if we can." Granas reiterates his priorities. "Before we loose access to the Ley Line, I will augment everyone with Armor of Ithan. It won't last for more than 8 minutes, but should we come under immediate attack, it will help us." Granas finishes.
The dwarf stares at Granas, before laughing, pulling Bell over to give him a slap on the shoulder. "Aye, perimeter! You've got the gist of it, lad! Quick thinker. Seems a fine plan ta me." She finishes by narrowing her eyes at the man. "Yer spell won't get in me way o' fightin', right? Already got enough weight on me shoulders with mah plate n' all."

If it is agreed, she will go along with Granas' plan, although she'll still be one of the earlier ones through, insisting that if there is an immediate attack she'd rather it come her way than anyone else's. Once Granas explains the lack of downsides to his spell, she'll let him cast it on her, the dwarf's natural unease around magic having been lessened greatly by spending time with Rigel and the rest of the priesthood.
Runidia Shatterhelm
Is this knight ever sober?

Personal Status
P.P.E.: 12 / 12
H.P.: 28 / 28
S.D.C.: 30 / 30
Gear Status
Armor Status
A.R.: 17
S.D.C.: 160 / 160

Shield Status
S.D.C.: 100 / 100

Belle Status
H.P.: 28 / 28
S.D.C.: 42 / 42

Barding Status
A.R.: 14
S.D.C.: 70 / 70
Constant Abilities
Nightvision: 90’
User avatar
Locknar
Dimension Master
Posts: 409
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2015 11:56 am
Location: PFRPG GM & DM

Re: The Princess Bride : Endgame

Post by Locknar »

The Other Side
Unknown Jungle
Date: 25 September, 345
Weather: Clear skies
Time: Midday

Alwin, Granas, Ivy, Mürrischer, Rigel (NPC), Captain Tomass (NPC), Runidia, Tolliver



Granas considers what awaits him and it does not look like anyplace he has ever been before. He suggests a plan of action to which no one objects.
Granas wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 11:21 pm "I will go in second with the Golem. I suggest Captain Tomass and the guards who are willing to follow me. Then, the remainder of us go through in a final step. Perhaps the guards could then set up a circle around the portal, uh, what is the term.. a perimeter? Masters Alwin and Mürrischer could be advanced scouts to locate the keep?" Granas suggests as a plan of action. "The primary mission being to rescue Luna before she is lost to us. Then to stop this prince if we can." Granas reiterates his priorities. "Before we loose access to the Ley Line, I will augment everyone with Armor of Ithan. It won't last for more than 8 minutes, but should we come under immediate attack, it will help us." Granas finishes.
Granas casts Armour of Ithan on each member of the party, except Alwin who invisibly rushes in first. Rigel happily takes a spell that Alwin did not, so six castings are made nonetheless. Party members then follow one another in succession as planned. The golem, some 8 feet tall, bends down as it enters the Temple's hall, but passes through the portal with its master without trouble.

A wave of humid air washes over you all as you appear on the other side of the portal. Your feet touch the jungle floor. The sunlight is intense, and either side of the trail presents dense vegetation that would be difficult to transverse. The earth is damp from recent rains and the air is thick with the unfamiliar scent of exotic flowers, wet soil, and tinged with a faint wisp of something strangely acrid. A symphony of buzzing insects and the raucous caws of unseen birds fills the air. Beads of sweat already prickle on your skin under the relentless tropical sun, and those clad in metal armor can feel the heat leeching into their every joint.

Before you lies the well-worn trail you spied through the portal, it snakes through the undergrowth. Deep, clear bootprints mar the muddy path, leading in the same direction. Trask looks at the sun, and makes some judgements of the directions; he feels the boots head northwest, and the trail comes from the southeast.

The prints are clear enough, though Trask cannot make out any fine detail. However Mürrischer can. Studying the trail, the wolfen identifes several sets of distinct tracks. There are two sets of elegant boots, likely belonging to persons of refinement travel side by side. Also there are a series of indentations unlike any Mürrischer has encountered before; not rounded depressions left by boots, nor the clawed marks of beasts. Instead, the footprint of a giant, flat brick. Each impression is rectangular, its edges sharp and well-defined. The sheer size is undeniable – far larger than any human foot. The depth of the imprint speaks of incredible weight, pressing down on the earth with a force that has left the surrounding soil compressed and disturbed.

Another type of track is familiar to the wolfen; bear tracks. They avoid the trail, and instead flank the sides, passing along the undergrowth parallel to the track but never touching it. They all follow the same direction; northwest. Mürrischer can clearly see the distinct mark of powerful claws. The size and spacing of the toes leave no doubt in his mind – these are the unmistakable prints of a large bear, perhaps three, on either side of the trail.

Finally, Mürrischer and Alwin notice another set of prints, fainter and older than the others. These are smaller and bear faint claw marks, crisscrossing the main path in both directions. It seems to be a different group from a different part of the day.

Mürrischer considers the land he finds himself in. He thinks he is in the northern woods, only one of the stranger fey areas where weather patterns and trees make no sense. The bear tracks
Critical fail in Wilderness Survival.
it in his mind. The wolfen ranger then sniffs the air. He smells nothing of Luna's edelweiss flowers, save that comes from the golem and Alwin's hands. He does however detect a faint scent of smoke; acrid and unfamiliar. It drifts from the southeast, where they trail also leads. The smell mingles with the other smells of the jungle, and the wolfen cannot quite know what is burning. But something IS burning.

Granas casts a spell of invisibility, which cloaks Skye thanks to his familiar link with the animal. The loyal osprey lets out a sharp cry and takes to the air. As it ascends, the dense foliage thins, revealing to Granas more of the surrounding area. It soars to a height of some 300 feet, then circles around, its keen eyes taking in the scene.

Through its vision, Granas can now see details previously hidden by the jungle canopy. Skye is enjoying a rather breathtaking view. The land beneath holds a surprising truth: this island is a narrow finger of land barely two miles wide. In the distance, both the southwest and northeast, lies the blue glint of the ocean. This might be a peninsula, jutting out from a larger landmass.

To the northwest, the direction the trail leads, the jungle abruptly thins just one mile ahead. It is replaced by a sight that makes Skye nervous. A colossal wooden wall, at least 50 feet high, stretches as far as the eye can see, from coast to coast, effectively blocking off the rest of the land from this place. This imposing barrier certainly isn't built by nature; it has clean lines and a cleared perimeter. The dense foliage for a short distance on either side of the wall has been ruthlessly cut away, creating a stark line scarring the surrounding wilderness.

The trail the group has landed upon, winding through the jungle, seems to lead directly towards this daunting wall.

This is not all, where does the trail come from? The southeast! To the southeast, just half a mile away, Skye sees a cluster of thatched buildings that peek through the foliage. More surprisingly, a squat, grey stone keep rises behind them. The keep is low and squat, perhaps only 2 or 3 storeys high. Were it not for Skye's altitude, the surrounding trees would have hidden it from view.


Granas' glances at his marshmallow golem guardian. Upon entering the strange portal it stood a respectable 8 feet tall – indeed a comforting, squishy bulwark against danger. But now, a disquieting change is evident. The marshmallow golem has undeniably grown. It towers over Granas by a good margin now, easily reaching 10 feet in height. And perhaps worryingly, it seems to be continuing to expand.

Rigel, oblivious to the golem's growth, speaks out at this point. He turns to Ivy and Granas, a glint of determination in his eyes. "Hold on," he says, his voice firm. "We're forgetting the bigger picture here. You both said rescuing Luna is the priority, then stopping Humperdinck if we can. But that's not quite right." He pauses, letting his words sink in.

"Remember the verse?" Rigel continues, reciting the cryptic passage. "'Fill the halls, yet fill them right, Let changelings face eternal night. Their twisted lives, the price they pay, For stolen breaths, on this dark day.'" He lowers his voice, his gaze sweeping over his leather-clad form. "This leather isn't just because I look good in it, you know. It's for a fight. Utu," he says, pronouncing the name with surprising reverence, "will allow my fallen friends to return to the living, but only if we send the changelings to take their place."

Rigel straightens his shoulders. "Or am I mistaken? We find Luna yes. We take down Humperdinck and his entire crew. Oh yes. We fulfill the verse and ensure those who deserve a second chance get it. That's why we're here. Not just for Luna, but for everyone Utu can bring back."

"But," he looks in both directions of the trail. "Which do we do first?"

WHAT ARE YOUR INTENTIONS?


Butcher's Bill
Alwin: 37/37 H.P., 40/40 S.D.C.: 40, 58/110 P.P.E. | Invisibility: Simple 15 minutes
Granas: 41/41 H.P., 22/22 S.D.C., 6/54 I.S.P., 245/245 P.P.E.
Ivy: 18/22 H.P., 23/23 S.D.C., 27/41 I.S.P. | Armor: Cloak of Protection (AR 14 : 33/150 SDC)
Mürrischer: 30/30 H.P., 9/29 S.D.C., 28/28 I.S.P.
Runidia: 28/28 H.P., 30/30 S.D.C., 12/12 P.P.E.| Armor: Dwarf Plate AR: 17; 160/160 | Shield 100/100
Tolliver: 49/49 H.P., 71/71 S.D.C., 27/44 I.S.P. | Armor: Splint Mail AR: 16; 82/82;


*Everyone has Armor of Ilthan for 8 minutes thanks to Granas
-= Palladium Fantasy DM =-
User avatar
Alwin
Posts: 146
Joined: Thu Oct 06, 2022 6:54 am

Re: The Princess Bride : Endgame

Post by Alwin »

Perception: 37% vs 1d100: [56] = 56
JIC: 1d20: [4] = 4 and 1d100: [22] = 22

Conditions: Invisibility: Simple (6) - 15 minutes

Skills



Post


Locknar wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 7:49 pm "Remember the verse?" Rigel continues, reciting the cryptic passage. "'Fill the halls, yet fill them right, Let changelings face eternal night. Their twisted lives, the price they pay, For stolen breaths, on this dark day.'" He lowers his voice, his gaze sweeping over his leather-clad form. "This leather isn't just because I look good in it, you know. It's for a fight. Utu," he says, pronouncing the name with surprising reverence, "will allow my fallen friends to return to the living, but only if we send the changelings to take their place."

Rigel straightens his shoulders. "Or am I mistaken? We find Luna yes. We take down Humperdinck and his entire crew. Oh yes. We fulfill the verse and ensure those who deserve a second chance get it. That's why we're here. Not just for Luna, but for everyone Utu can bring back."

"But," he looks in both directions of the trail. "Which do we do first?"
Alwin allows a breath of exasperation, "Finally! Someone gets it! We have a job to do here! Messy... yes! but necessary if we are to see the task given complete. "

Th elf remains invisible as he continues, "They all follow the pretender! They have defiled the temple. They intend to destroy the world as we know it. There is no question in my mind. Our job is to dispatch the lot and let Utu, or whatever other gods that have a hand in this, make their judgement. Ours is to simply see it done."

Alwin looks up and down the trail as he considers the choice, we follow the tracks... that is the way.

Alwin speaks quickly, "Splitting up should not be an option, this will only weaken us."

Alwin again looks up and down the trail, either choice could be wrong... but... the tracks lead one way. That is the way we should go.

"We should follow the tracks, they only go one way. We follow the tracks and we eliminate all possible future threats."
User avatar
Granas
Posts: 97
Joined: Thu Apr 20, 2023 6:40 am

Re: The Princess Bride : Endgame

Post by Granas »

Perception: 1d100: [77] = 77 /46%
JiC: 1d100: [81] = 81 / 1d20: [14] = 14

Conditions: Sixth Sense [Inactive, 2ISP] | I.S.P. used: 4/54 | PPE used: 129/245 | Spell Strength: 15 | Familiar Empathetic/Telepathic Link 600ft | [4hrs, Flight 50mph]

Skye remains within 300ft during Invisibility Simple; will return to Granas before the spell elapses.

Track by Sight: 1d100: [40] = 40 /88%
Track by Smell: 1d100: [23] = 23 /60%
Prowl: 1d100: [10] = 10 /88% (Not getting shot at)


Skills
Navigation: 1d100: [54] = 54 /47% [Does Granas recognize the sea-scape or peninsula]
Lore, Magic: 1d100: [48] = 48 /92% [Why did the golem grow and will it grow again]
Wilderness Survival: 1d100: [96] = 96 /77% [Assess the dangers of the southern trail]

Post

Once on the other side, Granas inspects the immediate area and the golem as it follows him through. Skye takes off and begins a safe circle from above as Granas looks to the Golem Granas's eyes appear to widen in awe as the Golem's height changes from 8 to 10 feet with a nod. "Mallow is full of surprises. I wonder if the humidity or an excess of magic prompted this?" Granas thinks aloud before turning his attention back to his airborne familiar. He speaks to the Golem. "Protect this area from new threats." Granas simply orders then focuses his sight with his familiar, his eyes fogging over.

Alright, bud, let's see what we can see.. Granas tells his familiar and watches the overview. Mentally taking notes of what he sees. An island? A dense, beautiful jungle with a large, constructed barrier to the northeast, cordoning this area from the rest of the land. Curious. Why cut the island in half like that. The wall is at least 50 ft tall. Granas isn't confident about the northeast direction as Skye circles back towards the Southeast. Ah, that looks more promising. Not even half a mile south of us is some thatched buildings. Ah, there is the stone keep I think I remember. Granas considers as he then brings Skye back from the recon. Granas tilts his head to the side to allow the Osprey shoulder room as it lands gently on his shoulder, gripping his cloak. "I'll send you back up later." Granas says as the invisibly wears off and Skye chirps.

Granas turns back to the Golem and now begins measuring the golem to see if it will stop expanding and growing before addressing the others. "It seems the travel, or location or some combination has prompted Mallow to grow." Says points out before continuing. "I think our target is to the southeast. We are on an island and there is a collection of thatched buildings barely visible from the foliage just half a mile south of us. Possible a village, hopefully not a clan of changelings but likely. Just beyond that is a stone keep not more than 3 stories tall." Granas explains, then looking north. "North of us, at the end of this trail, is a large wooden wall that seems to cordon this location off from the rest of the land. It stands some fifty feet with very cleared brush and no visible gate. I believe Luna is to the south of us in the keep." Granas finishes.
Alwin wrote:
Rigel wrote:"Hold on," ... "We're forgetting the bigger picture here. You both said rescuing Luna is the priority, then stopping Humperdinck if we can. But that's not quite right."
"Finally! Someone gets it! We have a job to do here! Messy... yes! but necessary if we are to see the task given complete. "
Granas pauses and looks at Rigel, now expressing a face of mild contempt. Sometimes it's hard to discern the faithful from the zealots from the bloodthirsty. Granas ponders before shaking his head. "I have no care to fulfill some vague battle verse with promises of grey. You are assuming the God of the Dead would care about bringing another pantheon's priests back to life; I subscribe to no such beliefs in their benevolence. I care about the life that we know is in danger." Granas retorts. Then answering Rigel's question. "Southeast is where the stone keep sits. I suggest we go that way." Granas finishes. Any of the priestly types might be able to tell that Granas' resentment towards blindly following faith is something far more personal. "We find Luna, we likely find Humperdinck nearby. Leaving him and his clan alive is not in our best interest, anyways. For now, the two goals are the same." Granas finishes through a deep breathe. Some might be able to tell he isn't too pleased but has accepted the goal.
Granas, the traveling mage
Coma/Death:
Magic (varies): +4 (+1 to save vs magic at levels 9, 12 and 15)
Lethal Poison (14+):
Non-Lethal Poison (16+):
Insanity (12+):
Psionics (varies):
Horror Factor (varies): +4

PPE: 245/245 || ISP: 54/54 || HP: 41/41 | SDC: 22/22
Please Do Not PM This Account, PM Underguard Instead
User avatar
Alwin
Posts: 146
Joined: Thu Oct 06, 2022 6:54 am

Re: The Princess Bride : Endgame

Post by Alwin »

Alwin wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:46 am Perception: 37% vs 1d100: [56] = 56
JIC: 1d20: [4] = 4 and 1d100: [22] = 22
Conditions: Invisibility: Simple (6) - 15 minutes

Skills



Post
Granas wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:50 am "I have no care to fulfill some vague battle verse with promises of grey. You are assuming the God of the Dead would care about bringing another pantheon's priests back to life; I subscribe to no such beliefs in their benevolence. I care about the life that we know is in danger." Granas retorts. Then answering Rigel's question. "Southeast is where the stone keep sits. I suggest we go that way." Granas finishes. Any of the priestly types might be able to tell that Granas' resentment towards blindly following faith is something far more personal. "We find Luna, we likely find Humperdinck nearby. Leaving him and his clan alive is not in our best interest, anyways. For now, the two goals are the same." Granas finishes through a deep breathe. Some might be able to tell he isn't too pleased but has accepted the goal.
The elf listens to Granas' report, A wall? 50ft tall? One would only build something that high to keep something that tall out. Not even Llorn had such a wall. "How was the wall constructed?" he asks in consideration of why the wall is there? "Did it look haphazard or deliberate and strong? I find the sheer size you say to be concerning. What requires a 50ft wall to keep out... or in? And what side are we on?"

The thought concerns Alwin but there is nothing they can do now, "And a stone keep to the south? In the opposite direction of the fresh tracks? Does that seem odd?" Alwin considers silently, If that is where the throne is, why are they heading to the wall?
User avatar
Granas
Posts: 97
Joined: Thu Apr 20, 2023 6:40 am

Re: The Princess Bride : Endgame

Post by Granas »

Granas wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:50 am Perception: 1d100: [77] = 77 /46%
JiC: 1d100: [81] = 81 / 1d20: [14] = 14

Conditions: Sixth Sense [Inactive, 2ISP] | I.S.P. Remaining: 54/54 | PPE Remaining: 245/245 | Spell Strength: 15 | Familiar Empathetic/Telepathic Link 600ft | [1hrs, Flight 50mph] | Armor of Ithan [8 Min | A.R.: 18 | 180 SDC | Magic Fire, Lightning and Cold do half damage]

Skye remains within 300ft during Invisibility Simple; will return to Granas before the spell elapses.

Track by Sight: 1d100: [40] = 40 /88%
Track by Smell: 1d100: [23] = 23 /60%
Prowl: 1d100: [10] = 10 /88% (Not getting shot at)
Post

Granas glances at Alwin. Hmm... I thought I said it had very cleared brush and no visible gate... looked constructed. Though I suppose it never hurts to ask the question. As Bastilla always said, there is no such thing as a silly question. Granas briefly muses. "There is a cleared line of brush away from the wall. It does not hug the jungle, it seems to surround it. As I said, I saw no gate so unsure what side of it we are on. Though it makes no sense your gods would put us on the otherside of this wall. The portal dropped us here, within a half mile of a village and stone keep. If we trust the gods, like you say, then the path appears to be clear to me. Simple tracks on the ground can as easily lead us astray as it can lead us to our goal. This path ends at the wall if we go north. The wall looked strong, constructed and deliberate." Granas states. "The Island itself appears to be about two miles wide, I cannot tell exactly how long though. I can send Skye back up for another look now that we've landed." Granas adds.

"I could not see any other movement through the foliage, or on the wall-line. We would be following muddled tracks that could be hours old. I don't pretend to be a tracker, but I would rather get eyes on this village that is close by, determine if they are a threat to us, and move to the keep where Luna more than likely is being held." Granas finishes, then turning to Ivy and the others. "Everyone make it through okay?" Granas asks for those unfamiliar with magical travel.
Granas, the traveling mage
Coma/Death:
Magic (varies): +4 (+1 to save vs magic at levels 9, 12 and 15)
Lethal Poison (14+):
Non-Lethal Poison (16+):
Insanity (12+):
Psionics (varies):
Horror Factor (varies): +4

PPE: 245/245 || ISP: 54/54 || HP: 41/41 | SDC: 22/22
Please Do Not PM This Account, PM Underguard Instead
User avatar
Tolliver Trask
Posts: 245
Joined: Tue Jun 06, 2017 5:54 pm
Contact:

Re: The Princess Bride : Endgame

Post by Tolliver Trask »

Perception: 1d100: [60] = 60 /65%
Just in Case: 1d20: [4] = 4 , 1d100: [55] = 55
Conditions: Sixth Sense (Inactive), Ambidextrous, Resistant to Cold (Soupcon; 1/2 damage from Cold based attacks).
HP: 54/54
S.D.C.: 71/71
I.S.P.: 27/44
P.P.E.: 10/10
Armor: Splint Mail AR: 16; 82/82; -15% Prowl, Spd reduced by 20%
Tower Shield of the Hex Indestructible


Trask nods to himself. My tracking is very rusty. At least I can follow them still. Trask thinks to himself as he takes up the rear of the group. Trask's good eye sweeps over the folk with them, stopping momentarily on the party members he can still see. Gone into some pretty rough situations with less I suppose. Trask reassures himself.
Rigel wrote:"We're forgetting the bigger picture here. You both said rescuing Luna is the priority, then stopping Humperdinck if we can. But that's not quite right... Remember the verse? Fill the halls, yet fill them right, Let changelings face eternal night. Their twisted lives, the price they pay, For stolen breaths, on this dark day.This leather isn't just because I look good in it, you know. It's for a fight. Utu, will allow my fallen friends to return to the living, but only if we send the changelings to take their place. Or am I mistaken? We find Luna yes. We take down Humperdinck and his entire crew. Oh yes. We fulfill the verse and ensure those who deserve a second chance get it. That's why we're here. Not just for Luna, but for everyone Utu can bring back. But, Which do we do first?"
Trask listens to the last priest talk, nodding along with his fervent delivery. Wonder if he meant to mention Utu's name in such a way... Probably caught up in his delivery. Maybe not all of them were worshipers of Utu. Certainly possible. Trask thinks.
Alwin wrote:"Finally! Someone gets it! We have a job to do here! Messy... yes! but necessary if we are to see the task given complete. They all follow the pretender! They have defiled the temple. They intend to destroy the world as we know it. There is no question in my mind. Our job is to dispatch the lot and let Utu, or whatever other gods that have a hand in this, make their judgement. Ours is to simply see it done."
Granas wrote:"I have no care to fulfill some vague battle verse with promises of grey. You are assuming the God of the Dead would care about bringing another pantheon's priests back to life; I subscribe to no such beliefs in their benevolence. I care about the life that we know is in danger."
Trask smirks as he listens to Alwin and Granas talk about Rigel's proclamation. One is frenzied, while the other seems to only see a single major goal. Neither are religious, that much is obvious. Rigel's heart is in the right place, but crossing Utu is not a good idea either, but I suppose that is more on Locknar and Skye, than us... We're quite litterally tools in this battle. In the end, prophesy of dead priests or not, this job is much more complicated than one singular goal. Trask muses, while Alwin and Granas continue to talk.
Alwin wrote:"Splitting up should not be an option, this will only weaken us. We should follow the tracks, they only go one way. We follow the tracks and we eliminate all possible future threats."
"Not the worst idea, though you may want to tmper your bloodlust a little." Trask says sagely.
Granas wrote:"Southeast is where the stone keep sits. I suggest we go that way. We find Luna, we likely find Humperdinck nearby. Leaving him and his clan alive is not in our best interest, anyways. For now, the two goals are the same."
Interesting, the tracks are going another way, why is that? Trask thinks. "That's if Humperdink is in the keep. I mean it seems very feasible that he is, but we don't know." Trask adds.
Alwin wrote:"How was the wall constructed? Did it look haphazard or deliberate and strong? I find the sheer size you say to be concerning. What requires a 50ft wall to keep out... or in? And what side are we on? And a stone keep to the south? In the opposite direction of the fresh tracks? Does that seem odd?"
"Giants, Dragons, other armies. Fifty foot walls aren't all that uncommon in bigger cities. And yes the Tracks going the opposite direction of the keep is odd." Trask adds, with a tone of experience.
Granas wrote:"There is a cleared line of brush away from the wall. It does not hug the jungle, it seems to surround it. As I said, I saw no gate so unsure what side of it we are on. Though it makes no sense your gods would put us on the otherside of this wall. The portal dropped us here, within a half mile of a village and stone keep. If we trust the gods, like you say, then the path appears to be clear to me. Simple tracks on the ground can as easily lead us astray as it can lead us to our goal. This path ends at the wall if we go north. The wall looked strong, constructed and deliberate. I could not see any other movement through the foliage, or on the wall-line. We would be following muddled tracks that could be hours old. I don't pretend to be a tracker, but I would rather get eyes on this village that is close by, determine if they are a threat to us, and move to the keep where Luna more than likely is being held. Everyone make it through okay?"
"While time is kind of of the essence, is the area so big that we can't effectively go to both in a reasonable amount of time? It would be safer to know what we're looking at as a whole, I would think." Trask says.
"Tonight, boys, we're eating like kings. We've all tasted death too much it seems." ~Shawn James
Tolliver Trask; The Suicide King
User avatar
Ivy
Posts: 126
Joined: Mon Feb 06, 2023 4:21 pm

Re: The Princess Bride : Endgame

Post by Ivy »

Perception: 1d100: [64] = 64 /38%
Just in Case: 1d20: [3] = 3 ; 1d100: [33] = 33

Conditions: H.P.: 18/22, S.D.C.: 23/23, P.P.E.: 27/52 | I.S.P.: 13/41 | Spell Strength: 12 | Cloak of Protection (AR 14 : 33/150 SDC : Fire Resistant Half Damage)


The humid air and heat leave Ivy breathless a moment. She lingers back while the expert trackers make their rounds and discuss their findings.
Locknar wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 7:49 pm "Remember the verse?" Rigel continues, reciting the cryptic passage. "'Fill the halls, yet fill them right, Let changelings face eternal night. Their twisted lives, the price they pay, For stolen breaths, on this dark day.'" He lowers his voice, his gaze sweeping over his leather-clad form. "This leather isn't just because I look good in it, you know. It's for a fight. Utu," he says, pronouncing the name with surprising reverence, "will allow my fallen friends to return to the living, but only if we send the changelings to take their place."

Rigel straightens his shoulders. "Or am I mistaken? We find Luna yes. We take down Humperdinck and his entire crew. Oh yes. We fulfill the verse and ensure those who deserve a second chance get it. That's why we're here. Not just for Luna, but for everyone Utu can bring back."
"I hadn't thought about that verse much," Ivy admits. She repeats a fragment of the verse, "Yet fill them right."

Bringing back the others is on condition. We must defeat Humperdinck.
Tolliver Trask wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 5:17 pm "While time is kind of of the essence, is the area so big that we can't effectively go to both in a reasonable amount of time? It would be safer to know what we're looking at as a whole, I would think." Trask says.
The gnome purses her lips together in thought, and then speaks up. "If Luna yet lives and we still have a chance to save her. She must be first, before her captors grow tired of her." She looks at the others with a grim expression. "The dead can stay dead awhile longer. But which way to go?"

She wrings her hands unconsciously as the thinks, clearly agitated. "Oh if only we knew what was in the book they stole. We would know what they are up to." Taking a deep breath, she lets the frustration pass through her and away. It is of no consequence, we already know much. Think of what you do know, not what you cannot.

Taking a calming breath she focuses her mind on what is before her. She looks to the trail in the direction the tracks lead, then turns back towards the huts and keep. Which way? Luna is the key. The perfume!

She turns to Mürrischer with a question, "Do you scent Luna's flowers along this trail? Everything I say depends on what you sense my friend. Take your time to be certain if you must. Luna's scent is key." She waits patiently for a reply.

"If Luna's scent is on the trail, we must surely follow it. They must need her for some reason or goal out there in this land. But we cannot be sure once they arrive at their destination they will keep her alive for the return journey. In this case we must strike them while they are unaware we are hunting them."


"But, if Luna's scent isn't on the trail those prints, wherever it leads, it won't lead us to Luna. Then I wager she is still in the keep. That would be the most secure place for a prisoner."

She looks at the prints, wishing her knew more about tracking in the wilds. "What this trail of prints means is that the keep is less guarded for the moment. Whoever came this way is walking away from the keep. So that keep is more vulnerable right now."

"If Humperdinck himself went this way, away from his precious keep, think what happens if we take the keep he left behind. He must surely return. And we will be waiting for him."


She points southeast, her mind decided. "If Humperdinck isn't in the keep, he will surely return. If that keep is the Wayfarer's Keep of legend, it is able to teleport. This land might not even be Humperdinck's, it might be a stop on whatever foul quest he is on. If we take the keep, Humperdinck would run back for fear of us leaving him here stranded. If it can really teleport that is."

Could a keep really be that powerful? Could we make it work? What would we do with such a thing?

"Even if the keep cannot teleport, all of Humperdinck's treasures would be there. He will not abandon them. I say he is either in that keep, or he must surely return to it. Take the keep, and you have Humperdinck at a disadvantage."
User avatar
Alwin
Posts: 146
Joined: Thu Oct 06, 2022 6:54 am

Re: The Princess Bride : Endgame

Post by Alwin »

Alwin wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:46 am Perception: 37% vs 1d100: [56] = 56
JIC: 1d20: [4] = 4 and 1d100: [22] = 22
Conditions: Invisibility: Simple (6) - 15 minutes

Skills



Post
Tolliver Trask wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 5:17 pm "Not the worst idea, though you may want to temper your bloodlust a little." Trask says sagely.
Alwin smiles when Trask makes the comment, without thirst, one would not seek to drink and then wither and die. He considers the advise just slightly longer replying, "Wise advise, I will not let it blind me. Tempered action will allow us all to drink from the cup of victory when this is done." He is human... but he is battle tested. He isn't wrong. I can't be single minded in this.
Ivy wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 12:37 am She looks at the prints, wishing her knew more about tracking in the wilds. "What this trail of prints means is that the keep is less guarded for the moment. Whoever came this way is walking away from the keep. So that keep is more vulnerable right now."

"If Humperdinck himself went this way, away from his precious keep, think what happens if we take the keep he left behind. He must surely return. And we will be waiting for him."

She points southeast, her mind decided. "If Humperdinck isn't in the keep, he will surely return. If that keep is the Wayfarer's Keep of legend, it is able to teleport. This land might not even be Humperdinck's, it might be a stop on whatever foul quest he is on. If we take the keep, Humperdinck would run back for fear of us leaving him here stranded. If it can really teleport that is."

"Even if the keep cannot teleport, all of Humperdinck's treasures would be there. He will not abandon them. I say he is either in that keep, or he must surely return to it. Take the keep, and you have Humperdinck at a disadvantage."
One word seems to grab Alwin's attention over all the others Ivy speaks, treasures! Yes, if there is no structure to the north, the treasures would be to the south. But still? Why are they going that way? "You have a point, Ivy. If they have gone north, their forces may be divided. We can take the keep and maybe surprise what remains on their return. Yes, to the keep first, then as Trask mentioned earlier, if we don't see what we expect, we can search to the north."

Alwin considers the situation, If there are indeed treasures... we can take them regardless. Or... hide them... Make them ours! The elf finds himself even more anxious now.
User avatar
Mürrischer Reisender
Posts: 93
Joined: Sun Jan 08, 2023 10:28 am

Re: The Princess Bride : Endgame

Post by Mürrischer Reisender »

Perception: 1d100: [83] = 83 /43%
JIC: 1d20: [11] = 11 / 1d100: [79] = 79
Ivy wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 12:37 amShe turns to Mürrischer with a question, "Do you scent Luna's flowers along this trail? Everything I say depends on what you sense my friend. Take your time to be certain if you must. Luna's scent is key." She waits patiently for a reply.
"No.. No I don't. Temporary pwoblem." Is his answer before skulking off on the trail.

He follows the trail, not losing sight of it once, and grows ever more confident in his familiarity with the environment he couldn't see himself wrong with where he is. He just never seen some of these plants before. This has to be along the southern coasts of the north. Only way I can see not knowing this vegetation. Right? Yeah. That's it. I gotta be in the North.

Human... human...rock? Why rock? Already know a bear went this way. What do i do with a rock? He considers, separating the tracks to who hey belong to. I'll deal with it in time.

He sniffs again, hoping to catch the scent of Luna' flowers while still following the trail of humanoid tracks. Why is a little Elf so difficult to track?

Recognise Scent 1d100: [94] = 94 /32%
Track Humanoids 1d100: [55] = 55 /60%

Were we brought to summer in the north? Why then? Not complaining.. but why summer? He follows the trail in the wrong train of thought for where he is, skulking forward n the same manner he already was.

Prowl 1d100: [86] = 86 /45% [Cloak of Shadows adds an additional +20% to his percentage]
Mürrischer Mürrischer | Ledger Ledger
User avatar
Locknar
Dimension Master
Posts: 409
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2015 11:56 am
Location: PFRPG GM & DM

Re: The Princess Bride : Endgame

Post by Locknar »

Village Entrance
Unknown Jungle
Date: 25 September, 345
Weather: Clear skies
Time: 1pm

Alwin, Granas, Ivy, Mürrischer, Rigel (NPC), Captain Tomass (NPC), Runidia, Tolliver



Sweat clings to your armor like a second skin as you investigate the immediate area. Mürrischer, our sniffling but eager tracker, crouches low, scrutinizing the trail. He can see the footprints clearly, heading northwest. He could follow them to where they are headed, or follow them to their origin. Ivy cleverly suggests the wolfen ranger try and scent Luna's scent of edelweiss flower.

Mürrischer sniffs the air deeply. His nose twitches, and he sneezes thunderously. He finds no sign of Luna's presence in this area.

A tense discussion follows, and the group decide it is best to proceed southeast. It is where Granas' familiar caught sight of a village and keep.

Captain Tomass nods thoughtfully and the group make their plans. He strides over to Ivy, and bends down on one knee, seemingly not wanting to loom over her. "A private word, miss," he says, his voice gruff but polite.

"There's no point in you venturing out with the scouting party," he says, his voice low. "Stay here with the rest of us. Honestly, you wouldn't be much help out here. You're weaponless, but thanks to you the golem is complete to wield your spear in another way. Tracking isn't your forte, the gods themselves have restricted your powers, and let's not forget the lack of a mount. You'd slow the group down."

He pauses, his gaze softening slightly. "I understand you'd charge headfirst into danger for Luna, but frankly, you'd only be a burden right now. There's a lot we need to discuss before you are needed here." He gestures subtly towards one of his grey-hooded men, even in this heat his perceptive gaze is hidden under his hood. The grey man offers a barely perceptible nod in Ivy's direction.
OOC Comments
Ivy, please check your PM's. I eagerly await your return to PF when you are able. If you wish you can shelve your character for now on the other side of the portal until your return. Feel free to add a post for your departure and any parting words if you wish.
Captain Tomass' seasoned guard detail swiftly disperse, securing the perimeter around the portal with practiced efficiency. As his men settle into their duties, Tomass turns to Granas, his expression serious. "My troops will hold this position until you signal magically for us to advance. We'll be ready when you are."

With a curt nod, Tomass and Ivy step back through the shimmering portal, their forms dissolving into shimmering energy. Silence descends for a moment, broken only by the rustle of leaves and the distant squawk of unseen birds. A lone grey-hooded figure remains at the edge of the clearing, his keen eyes following your departure southeast, an unreadable expression hidden beneath the folds of his hood.



Time stretches and twists like the jungle vines overhead as you follow the trail southeast. Though the path winds unexpectedly, taking sharp turns and weaving through thickets, Mürrischer remains cautiously optimistic. Between occasional sneezes – brought on by the strange and faint scent of smoke. He caught it at the landing point, and it is growing slightly stronger now.

But you make progress, and soon the jungle thins. The oppressive canopy overhead gives way to a clearing bathed in dappled sunlight. The air here carries a curious scent, which you can all now detect – it is unlike the campfire smoke you're familiar with. It has a strange, almost floral quality. It hangs in the air like incense, a sweet yet unfamiliar aroma.

As you consider it suddenly you come face-to-face with the local inhabitants. Two animal-like figures, their fur a dusty grey in the sunlight, stand guard near the fringes of a hidden village. They are surprisingly humanoid, dressed in brightly colored garments fashioned from crudely woven natural fibers. They clutch crude spears, and their bulging eyes gleam with a startling redness. The most unsettling detail is a smoldering object, a crude cigar of sorts, jutting from each of their mouths. One fellow has two! Smoke curls up from these makeshift cigars, carrying the strange scent that permeates the clearing.

Their movements are slow, almost lethargic. They sway slightly from side to side, their grip on the spears seemingly loose. As they take in your arrival, their red-rimmed eyes widen in surprise. For a tense moment, silence reigns, broken only by the rhythmic puffs from their curious cigars and the chirping of unseen insects. The atmosphere is thick with a strange mix of curiosity and a subtle, unsettling torpor. They do not seem hostile, but
Stoned Koala Warriors.png
Stoned Koala Warriors.png (752.63 KiB) Viewed 577 times
.

WHAT ARE YOUR INTENTIONS?


Butcher's Bill
Alwin: 37/37 H.P., 40/40 S.D.C.: 40, 58/110 P.P.E.
Granas: 41/41 H.P., 22/22 S.D.C., 6/54 I.S.P., 245/245 P.P.E.
Ivy: 18/22 H.P., 23/23 S.D.C., 27/41 I.S.P. | Armor: Cloak of Protection (AR 14 : 33/150 SDC)
Mürrischer: 30/30 H.P., 9/29 S.D.C., 28/28 I.S.P.
Runidia: 28/28 H.P., 30/30 S.D.C., 12/12 P.P.E.| Armor: Dwarf Plate AR: 17; 160/160 | Shield 100/100
Tolliver: 49/49 H.P., 71/71 S.D.C., 27/44 I.S.P. | Armor: Splint Mail AR: 16; 82/82;
-= Palladium Fantasy DM =-
User avatar
Granas
Posts: 97
Joined: Thu Apr 20, 2023 6:40 am

Re: The Princess Bride : Endgame

Post by Granas »

Perception: 1d100: [65] = 65 /46%
JiC: 1d100: [68] = 68 / 1d20: [20] = 20

Conditions: Sixth Sense [Inactive, 2ISP] | I.S.P. Remaining: 54/54 | PPE Remaining: 245/245 | Spell Strength: 15 | Familiar Empathetic/Telepathic Link 600ft | [1hrs, Flight 50mph] | Armor of Ithan [8 Min | A.R.: 18 | 180 SDC | Magic Fire, Lightning and Cold do half damage]

Skye remains within 300ft during Invisibility Simple; will return to Granas before the spell elapses.

Track by Sight: 1d100: [86] = 86 /88%
Track by Smell: 1d100: [29] = 29 /60%
Prowl: 1d100: [79] = 79 /88% (Not getting shot at)


Skills
Identify Plants and Fruits: 1d100: [38] = 38 /72% [I.D. the flower smell/cigar herb]
Lore, Faerie Folk: 1d100: [46] = 46 /82% [I.D. the Koala-men if possible]
Invoke Trust: 1d100: [38] = 38 /37% [Trust in Granas]

Post
Tomass wrote:"My troops will hold this position until you signal magically for us to advance. We'll be ready when you are."
Granas is notably curious of the mentioned tracks but still set on going towards the Keep first. As the guards move to the perimeter with practiced efficiency, Granas nods and smiles slightly. It is good to have capable allies. Granas considers internally as he glances at Tomass as he has a private word with Ivy. When Tomass approaches Granas with the word, the wizard nods. "Much obliged, Captain. You and your crew here provide some measure of reassurance. When the time comes, I will send a magic pigeon starting with the word Vequerrel. If a message comes without that word, it is not from me. In the meantime, remain hidden." Granas states, revealing at least an inner knowledge of some of the woodlands the Western Empire controls though not saying his affiliation. Few of the east would recognize the name off hand, and certainly none here would think to use it. Granas considers as he commits to his go-word.

When Ivy and Tomass both retreat through the portal, Granas smiles and bids farewell to their gnomish friend. "Be safe." He says to Ivy as she and Tomass leave, then turning to the others. "Come, we should make haste. Masters Alwin and Mürrischer, would you care to take point?" Granas asks, already knowing their answer but offering them his respect for their talents. Neither are great with words, but both are skilled trackers. In this jungle... we could miss something far too easily. Granas considers, looking towards his left shoulder where Skye sits. "Alright, Skye. We've someone to save." He tells his familiar as they march on.

As they travel and the jungle gives way, Granas picks up on the smell of smoke... unlike that of a campfire. The wizard pats his pouch that holds his pipe as he things about it. Inhaled smoke, maybe? Almost smells like a flower... burning? I wonder if this is another kind of smokable herb? He considers to himself, trying to consider what the smell could be coming from. He is so lost in his thought that when he looks and sees the two koala-men each with a type of cigar, he lets out an audible "Ah!" as if connecting the dot in his head. The cigars do not put the wizard off as he looks towards his friends. "Please, friends. Allow me. No need to fight if we don't have too." Granas asks to make first contact. Remaining ready to fight is never bad, though. Granas finishes the thought in his head and looks to the Golem. "Do not attack unless we are attacked." He commands before approaching.

Granas holds up both of his hands in a non-threatening way and steps ahead of the group. The sound of the bugs nearby is reassuring... means we haven't disrupted too much. Granas considers as he smiles at the koala-men. Granas chooses his words carefully as he switches dialects to Elven/Dragonese. "Hello there. That fine aroma attracted our attention. My name is Granas, we mean you no harm. Can you tell me your names?" Granas asks, hoping to have at least one of their names before he continues.

"My friends and I are looking for a lost friend that we think has come through here recently. Do you think you can help us?" Granas asks. Hopefully they aren't hostile towards outsiders. I don't want to fight these people. Granas mentally considers.

Contingency: If the Koala-warriors do not speak Elven or Human tongues, he will hold up his index finger as he casts Tongues on himself. Then attempts to communicate again.

Contingency #2: If they become hostile upon Granas' introduction, Granas will cast Magic Net in an attempt to restrain them without hurting them.
Magic Net: [160 ft | 16 melees | Dodge v 16 | 1-6 humanoids with a 10 diameter net | Immune to normal weapons. Magic and spells can affect the net but requires 2 rounds to break | 7PPE]
Granas, the traveling mage
Coma/Death:
Magic (varies): +4 (+1 to save vs magic at levels 9, 12 and 15)
Lethal Poison (14+):
Non-Lethal Poison (16+):
Insanity (12+):
Psionics (varies):
Horror Factor (varies): +4

PPE: 245/245 || ISP: 54/54 || HP: 41/41 | SDC: 22/22
Please Do Not PM This Account, PM Underguard Instead
User avatar
Alwin
Posts: 146
Joined: Thu Oct 06, 2022 6:54 am

Re: The Princess Bride : Endgame

Post by Alwin »

Perception: 37% vs 1d100: [71] = 71
JIC: 1d20: [2] = 2 and 1d100: [91] = 91

Conditions:

Skills
Prowl 55% vs 1d100: [48] = 48 - move to a flanking position without drawing any notice.


Post

Coming upon the creatures Alwin is immediately filled with disgust. No wonder these creatures don't walk around in their true form. Those devil filled red eyes, the fur... and ears. Gods.. these things are hideous. Alwin is certainly struck by their presence, They look so eager for something. Maybe they want to eat us. The elf's hand starts to make its way to his sword when Granas speaks up.

Granas wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 8:54 am "Please, friends. Allow me. No need to fight if we don't have too." Granas asks to make first contact.

Granas holds up both of his hands in a non-threatening way and steps ahead of the group. "Hello there. That fine aroma attracted our attention. My name is Granas, we mean you no harm. Can you tell me your names?" Granas asks, hoping to have at least one of their names before he continues.

"My friends and I are looking for a lost friend that we think has come through here recently. Do you think you can help us?" Granas asks.
He eases a bit considering the wizard may have a point, Maybe they will tell us something. Alwin watches as Granas presents himself to these devil bears. It is unsettling... their eyes... so big and blood filled. Why does the wizard present such a weak position? He should come from a place of power. Authority! A chill runs through the elf's body, we should just kill them and be done with this. They must be changelings. What else could they be?

Then Alwin wonders, maybe... maybe Granas is trying to distract them for us to finish. He eyes the mage considering. He is very cunning. he does have elf blood. It is what I would do. Settled on this must be what Granas has in mind, Alwin prepares himself. He tries to make eye contact with Trask and nod to the opposite flanking position as he moves himself to the other side.

The elf scans the area around them looking for other possible threats as he positions his hand closer to the hilt of his newly acquired sword. Maybe the mage can distract them long enough for a quick and quiet kill. Alwin begins to move himself slowly and delicately to a flanking left or right (whichever is easier) and prepare for a quick attack. Let's see if he can get anything from them first... then... it is time to fill those seats for UTU.
User avatar
Mürrischer Reisender
Posts: 93
Joined: Sun Jan 08, 2023 10:28 am

Re: The Princess Bride : Endgame

Post by Mürrischer Reisender »

Perception: 1d100: [56] = 56 /43%
JIC: 1d20: [4] = 4 / 1d100: [51] = 51

With a sniff and a deep snort that could rattle a human, Mürrischer acts as though he has no sinus problems out side of a sneeze even more seldom snorted inhale to open his sinuses as he continues to scout ahead of the group, poorly though it would be. He follows what scent trail he does find, though he does feel some disappointment it is not who nor what he would hope it to be.

Eventually reaching the campfire and strange humanoids brings him to a stop. He Observes their actions and tries to come to a conclusion of some kind of what they could be, other than some strain of faerie creature. What even is something like that?

Lore: Demons and Monsters: 1d100: [45] = 45 /35%
Granas wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 8:54 amGranas holds up both of his hands in a non-threatening way and steps ahead of the group. The sound of the bugs nearby is reassuring... means we haven't disrupted too much. Granas considers as he smiles at the koala-men. Granas chooses his words carefully as he switches dialects to Elven/Dragonese. "Hello there. That fine aroma attracted our attention. My name is Granas, we mean you no harm. Can you tell me your names?" Granas asks, hoping to have at least one of their names before he continues.
He continues to watch whether he knows with any certainty or not, wondering why they could behave in such a way. He wasn't exactly familiar with drug induced behavior outside of perhaps alcohol. fighting a sneeze, he can't help his lips break and ears shift as he inhales to clear his sinuses, the snort of a Wolfen furious without intention but as consequence of the way of having the muzzle of a canine species of humanoid of his size.
Granas wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 8:54 am"My friends and I are looking for a lost friend that we think has come through here recently. Do you think you can help us?" Granas asks. Hopefully they aren't hostile towards outsiders. I don't want to fight these people. Granas mentally considers.
"I'm sure all I need is minze" He pipes up, inadvertently admitting to whatever has befallen sinuses. "Oh-" He finds himself corrected, "Ja. a small Elfish woman."
Mürrischer Mürrischer | Ledger Ledger
User avatar
Runidia Shatterhelm
Posts: 23
Joined: Tue Aug 22, 2023 12:53 pm

Re: The Princess Bride : Endgame

Post by Runidia Shatterhelm »

Perception: 1d100: [22] = 22 / 36%
JiC 1d100: [65] = 65 ; JiC 1d20: [13] = 13

Runidia takes stock of the wilderness about them, having never seen sights such as this before. She has heard tales, of course, of far off mountains covered in wet forests with tunnels of loam and dirt rather than stone and earth. Such things were as fairy tales to the dwarven people of her home, and to find such a place, even just the surface jungle, is intriguing to her.

She keeps her weapon at the ready, if loosely, as she rides upon Belle, the horse traversing the difficult and unfamiliar terrain decently enough. A trained warhorse was excellent for her, as the high plants and thick roots would be horrid for the short humanoid to attempt to cross on foot. Despite the heat and dampness, everyone can see glints of Runidia's smile beneath her helm, the atmosphere doing nothing to damper her spirits now that she's gotten them back.

As they approach the koala-people, Runidia squints at them, then gives a rumbling chuckle. "'Ese lads 'ave more hair on 'em than Ah do! Can't be too bad!" Though comment is in jest, the palladin doesn't lower her weapon. Never assume tha worst in someone, even if'n thay could be changelin's. Don't do anyone well fer the palladin ta be aggressive. She lets Granas speak, watching him switch to Elven and shaking her head almost imperceptibly. O' course it's Elven he goes ta. Never think that they'd speak Dwarven, eh? Not that the dwarf suspects they do, the thought a passing comment rather than a harsh remark.
Runidia Shatterhelm
Is this knight ever sober?

Personal Status
P.P.E.: 12 / 12
H.P.: 28 / 28
S.D.C.: 30 / 30
Gear Status
Armor Status
A.R.: 17
S.D.C.: 160 / 160

Shield Status
S.D.C.: 100 / 100

Belle Status
H.P.: 28 / 28
S.D.C.: 42 / 42

Barding Status
A.R.: 14
S.D.C.: 70 / 70
Constant Abilities
Nightvision: 90’
User avatar
Tolliver Trask
Posts: 245
Joined: Tue Jun 06, 2017 5:54 pm
Contact:

Re: The Princess Bride : Endgame

Post by Tolliver Trask »

Perception: 1d100: [93] = 93 /65%
Just in Case: 1d20: [11] = 11 , 1d100: [41] = 41
Conditions: Sixth Sense (Inactive), Ambidextrous, Resistant to Cold (Soupcon; 1/2 damage from Cold based attacks).
HP: 54/54
S.D.C.: 71/71
I.S.P.: 27/44
P.P.E.: 10/10
Armor: Splint Mail AR: 16; 82/82; -15% Prowl, Spd reduced by 20%
Tower Shield of the Hex Indestructible


Trask is no stranger to heat and humidity, a seasoned campaigner formerly of the Red Brigade, but it doesn't mean he likes it. Trask takes a handkerchief from his bag and wipes the sweat from his brow. Definitely not a normal place. Trask thinks as the others mill about looking for tracks. Trask watches the exchange between Captain Tomass and Ivy with only mild interest, nodding at the guard captain's decision. I doubt she has many more miracle survivals left in her. Trask thinks as he watches the priestess disappear.

Trask follows the others taking up the rear. listening to the conversation but not really adding anything to it. When the group comes upon the strange figures, Trask stops and waits to see what happens.
I.S.P.: 6, Range: 60 feet (18.3 m) and must be visible. Duration: 2 melees (30 seconds), Saving Throw: None, but a mind block will hide the presence of psychic abilities, the amount of P.P.E., and possession by a supernatural force.
All things, organic and inorganic, have an aura. The aura has many distinctions and can be used to see or sense things invisible to the human eye. Seeing an aura will indicate the following:
• Estimate the general level of experience. Low (1-3), medium (4-7), high (8th and up).
• The presence of magic (no indication of what or power level).
• The presence of psychic abilities.
• High or low base P.P.E.
• Healthy or sick.
• The presence of a possessing entity.
• The presence of an unusual aberration which indicates a serious illness, nonhuman, mutant, or supernatural being in disguise, but does not specify which.
Note: Cannot tell one's alignment from see aura.
Those are definitely new to me. Trask thinks as he waits to see what the outcome is.
"Tonight, boys, we're eating like kings. We've all tasted death too much it seems." ~Shawn James
Tolliver Trask; The Suicide King
User avatar
Ivy
Posts: 126
Joined: Mon Feb 06, 2023 4:21 pm

Re: The Princess Bride : Endgame

Post by Ivy »

Perception: 1d100: [7] = 7 /38%
Just in Case: 1d20: [13] = 13 ; 1d100: [6] = 6

Ivy looks at Tomass a long moment, her mind full of conflicting emotions. She's already been nearly slain more than once this day and try as she might she can't refute the captain's logic. Maybe I was only meant to get them on the road. This place is beyond me? Or I'm needed elsewhere? What have we missed?

She then recalls that Trask never discovered what tome the changelings were after. That is it! We know where Humperdinck is, but not why. The why must be important.

With a sigh, she nods. "You may be right, and there is some good I can do on the other side."

Ivy takes in the sight of the jungle, looking closely enough to get a feel for this as a possible landing point. Before this is over I may have to pray to be teleported here. Best get a good look.
Granas wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 8:54 am When Ivy and Tomass both retreat through the portal, Granas smiles and bids farewell to their gnomish friend. "Be safe." He says to Ivy as she and Tomass leave, then turning to the others.
"You also," Ivy says with a serious expression. "Humperdinck has a quest of his own, if a teleport is needed to catch him he will not expect anyone following him. You have the shapechanger at a disadvantage."

With a glance at the portal she adds, "I'm going to find out what book Humperdinck stole exactly. That is the key to finding out why he's done what he's done. We know the where, but not the why. I feel it is very important. When I know more I will return."

On her return she immediately gets to researching the temple library, trying to pick up where Trask left off. She enlists the help of the grey hooded bodyguards of Captain Tomass if possible.
OOC Comments
Thank you for a wonderful adventure. I will return when I can.
User avatar
Locknar
Dimension Master
Posts: 409
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2015 11:56 am
Location: PFRPG GM & DM

Re: The Princess Bride : Endgame

Post by Locknar »

Welcome to Gumsmoke.
Unknown Jungle
Date: 25 September, 345
Weather: Clear skies
Time: 1:05pm

Alwin, Granas, Mürrischer, Rigel (NPC), Runidia, Tolliver


These are no ordinary cuddly bears. They stand a solid five feet tall and are built like furry tanks (easily tipping the scales at 150 to 200 pounds each). The first koala puffs thoughtfully on a long, gnarled eucalyptus cigar, and the embers within glow a deep orange.

They look confused at Granas' attempts at communication. Runidia and Trask, both experienced and wary, hang back and watch for trouble. Runidia discerns no threat from the two koala folk, but looking up her eyes widen at the sight; four other koalas, barely visible in the overhead canopy, watch the proceedings from directly overhead. Should it come to a fight, the dwarf realises she'd have to be wary of drop bears.

Trask looks at the koala's auras for clues, and gets
Trask focuses his gaze on the koala, channeling his ability to perceive auras. Normally, a clear picture would emerge – a web of colors indicating psychic aptitude, magical potential, or perhaps even a taint of possession. However, in this case, the smoke addled psyche you are reading throws everything into a hazy disarray.

Here, with the koalas, the aura is still observable, but the colors! They're all blurred and distorted, it's not a mind block, but some of its effects are the same.

These koala folk are somewhat ill, possess no magic, are not possessed, and low level. They may or may not possess psychic abilities.. the effects of something has scrambled this detail. What details Trask has discerned is like trying to read a message scrawled under frosted glass – he knows there are words there, but he can't quite make them all out. Frankly it's giving Trask a headache to try.
results.

As the wizard casts Tongues one of the koalas speaks. The voice is growly, but recognisable to those versed in Wolfen.

GM: All but Mürrischer get a -20% to Wolfen language rolls to comprehend this unusual dialect. Otherwise, you'll need the words translated by Mürrischer or Granas.

"G'day mates," the koala drawls in a thick unknowable accent. A plume of smoke curls artfully from his wide nostrils, and for a moment it causes him to blink furiously.

"Welcome to Gumsmoke. The lot that wandered in earlier, wouldn't be with you, would it?"

His companion, a picture of relaxed confidence, puffs on not one, but two eucalyptus cigars at once, a mean feat if there ever was one. A toothy grin, wide enough to split his furry face in two, spreads across the koala's features. He gestures towards his mate with the two cigars, "That's Double Trouble, you don't wanna get on his bad side. But me, they call me Blinky."
Granas wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 8:54 am "My friends and I are looking for a lost friend that we think has come through here recently. Do you think you can help us?" Granas asks.
The koala blinks at you with bloodshot eyes, then for the moment he is wholly obscured by a swirling cloud of eucalyptus smoke. When it clears, his bloodshot eyes dart around the group, taking in each member with a curious expression. A flicker of recognition seems to spark when he lands on the elf, Alwin.

He throws back his head and lets out a hearty laugh, for apparently no reason whatsoever. It's a surprisingly deep sound for such a creature.

"Well, well, well," he drawls, his thick accent somehow even thicker with excitement. "Look who it is! Didn't expect you quite so soon, but faster's always better, right?" He throws a conspiratorial wink at Alwin, or was it a blink? His entire posture is radiating happiness, even if Alwin cannot comprehend immediately what the creature is saying. Nor will Alwin immediately comprehend what is said in the following moments.... will your 'friends' translate it for you? Heh Heh.

Blinky, oblivious to any confused expressions from our heroes, claps Alwin on the shoulder with surprising force for such a fuzzy round creature.

"Come on then, son of Humperdinck!" he chortles, gesturing towards the village with a flourish. "Let's get you settled in and prepped to meet the missus! She been waiting oh-so patiently for her handsome fella to arrive. There's so much to do!"

And with that he turns about and walks towards the village. Presuming you follow, his partner with the dual-wielded cigars follows from behind.

WHAT ARE YOUR INTENTIONS?


Butcher's Bill
Alwin: 37/37 H.P., 40/40 S.D.C.: 40, 58/110 P.P.E.
Granas: 41/41 H.P., 22/22 S.D.C., 6/54 I.S.P., 233/245 P.P.E. | Tongues 40min
Ivy: 18/22 H.P., 23/23 S.D.C., 27/41 I.S.P. | Armor: Cloak of Protection (AR 14 : 33/150 SDC)
Mürrischer: 30/30 H.P., 9/29 S.D.C., 28/28 I.S.P.
Runidia: 28/28 H.P., 30/30 S.D.C., 12/12 P.P.E.| Armor: Dwarf Plate AR: 17; 160/160 | Shield 100/100
Tolliver: 49/49 H.P., 71/71 S.D.C., 27/44 I.S.P. | Armor: Splint Mail AR: 16; 82/82;
-= Palladium Fantasy DM =-
User avatar
Mürrischer Reisender
Posts: 93
Joined: Sun Jan 08, 2023 10:28 am

Re: The Princess Bride : Endgame

Post by Mürrischer Reisender »

Perception: 1d100: [14] = 14 /43%
JIC: 1d20: [11] = 11 / 1d100: [94] = 94
Locknar wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 3:47 pm"G'day mates," the koala drawls in a thick unknowable accent. A plume of smoke curls artfully from his wide nostrils, and for a moment it causes him to blink furiously.

"Welcome to Gumsmoke. The lot that wandered in earlier, wouldn't be with you, would it?"
An ear turns to thought of the little furry creatures speaking his language. Of course, being more than capable of responding, the Wolfen almost can't help but respond in Wolfen. "Wandered in where?"
Locknar wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 3:47 pmHis companion, a picture of relaxed confidence, puffs on not one, but two eucalyptus cigars at once, a mean feat if there ever was one. A toothy grin, wide enough to split his furry face in two, spreads across the koala's features. He gestures towards his mate with the two cigars, "That's Double Trouble, you don't wanna get on his bad side. But me, they call me Blinky."
"I'm not here to fight. I'm looking for an elf."
Locknar wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 3:47 pm"Well, well, well," he drawls, his thick accent somehow even thicker with excitement. "Look who it is! Didn't expect you quite so soon, but faster's always better, right?" He throws a conspiratorial wink at Alwin, or was it a blink? His entire posture is radiating happiness, even if Alwin cannot comprehend immediately what the creature is saying. Nor will Alwin immediately comprehend what is said in the following moments.... will your 'friends' translate it for you? Heh Heh.
His head slowly turns to Alwin as the koalas. What did you do we don't know about?

The rest of what is said, Mürrischer translates with his own confusion. "They fink Alvin the sohn of Humperdink and he's getting married." He watches them start to wander off before looking back to the group. "And there's plenty to do apparently"
Mürrischer Mürrischer | Ledger Ledger
User avatar
Alwin
Posts: 146
Joined: Thu Oct 06, 2022 6:54 am

Re: The Princess Bride : Endgame

Post by Alwin »

Perception: 37% vs 1d100: [20] = 20
JIC: 1d20: [3] = 3 and 1d100: [21] = 21

Conditions:

Skills



Post

Alwin listens as the demon bears growl at each other and the group. What in the gods are they saying? He looks around at the others in obvious confusion wondering, does anyone understand them? For the briefest of seconds the elf considers a quick end to encounter, I should just slice through this creature's windpipe before it can alert the others. Then the first bear's eyes land on Alwin. Damn it! Can this evil thing read my mind? Then...
Locknar wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 3:47 pm He throws back his head and lets out a hearty laugh, for apparently no reason whatsoever. It's a surprisingly deep sound for such a creature.
Alwin's confusion grows, Is it mocking me? Does it not know I will strip the fur from its lifeless corpse and wear it as a trophy. Anger fills the elf's eyes as he considers the bear's actions an insult. The bear starts it's awful growls again...
Locknar wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 3:47 pm Blinky, oblivious to any confused expressions from our heroes, claps Alwin on the shoulder with surprising force for such a fuzzy round creature.
Alwin look at the creature with pure contempt now. Asking out loud, "Is it mocking me? It's mocking me! I'm going to kill this godforsaken beast and send it back to its god. " Before he has time to react Murrischer speaks up.
Mürrischer Reisender wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 8:56 am The rest of what is said, Mürrischer translates with his own confusion. "They fink Alvin the sohn of Humperdink and he's getting married." He watches them start to wander off before looking back to the group. "And there's plenty to do apparently"
Alwin's eyes open wide, "What?! What in the hells is that things smoking?" Alwin looks around at the group utterly confused, "...and who am I supposed to be marrying?" Alwin shakes his head in wonder, how do I find myself in these situations? Do we follow? It gets us in, but... we will be in the heart of them. Alwin considers the options briefly, if we oppose them, they figure us out. Going is the only option. Alwin turns to Muri and says, "Ask them if diner is prepared. Tell them the princess's son is hungry and thirsty... and doesn't like to wait."

Alwin smiles and looks to Granas, "Might as well play the part. No?" Alwin then turns to the devil bear, gestures with his hand down the path and says, "Lead on!"
User avatar
Mürrischer Reisender
Posts: 93
Joined: Sun Jan 08, 2023 10:28 am

Re: The Princess Bride : Endgame

Post by Mürrischer Reisender »

[Rolls Carried]
Alwin wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 11:52 amAlwin's eyes open wide, "What?! What in the hells is that things smoking?" Alwin looks around at the group utterly confused, "...and who am I supposed to be marrying?" Alwin shakes his head in wonder, how do I find myself in these situations? Do we follow? It gets us in, but... we will be in the heart of them. Alwin considers the options briefly, if we oppose them, they figure us out. Going is the only option. Alwin turns to Muri and says, "Ask them if diner is prepared. Tell them the princess's son is hungry and thirsty... and doesn't like to wait."
"Dat is a very gut question." Is all the Wolfen says to Alwin and lets him go ahead of him. He can't help but tease the paranoid Elf, "Maybe she'll be someone you like."

Whatever the pointy-eared people are in to... He thinks as he walks closer to the rear of the group than he usually travels. Can't be fluffy tails, Never seen an Elf with any tail.

What if the bride is Luna? What do we do with that?
Mürrischer Mürrischer | Ledger Ledger
User avatar
Granas
Posts: 97
Joined: Thu Apr 20, 2023 6:40 am

Re: The Princess Bride : Endgame

Post by Granas »

Perception: 1d100: [75] = 75 /46%
JiC: 1d100: [34] = 34 / 1d20: [19] = 19

Conditions: Sixth Sense [Inactive, 2ISP] | I.S.P. Remaining: 54/54 | PPE Remaining: 221/245 | Spell Strength: 15 | Familiar Empathetic/Telepathic Link 600ft | Tongues [40 Min | All Languages 98%]

Skye
Skye remains on Granas' shoulder until danger is present or otherwise instructed.

Track by Sight: 1d100: [8] = 8 /88%
Track by Smell: 1d100: [27] = 27 /60%
Prowl: 1d100: [5] = 5 /88% (Not getting shot at)


Skills


Post
Blinky wrote:"Well, well, well," ... "Look who it is! Didn't expect you quite so soon, but faster's always better, right?"
Granas blinks once has he attempts to maintain composure, though his eyes do dart to Alwin as the Koala-man identified as Blinky clasps him on the shoulder. Well, this is disconcerting. He recognizes Alwin, or is confusing Alwin for someone else. It's unlikely they actually mean Alwin... Granas thinks, as Blinky continues his hearty response. Granas remains quiet during the encounter, though relies on Tongues to understand them as they continue.
Alwin wrote:
Mürrischer wrote:
Blinky wrote:Come on then, son of Humperdinck!" he chortles, gesturing towards the village with a flourish. "Let's get you settled in and prepped to meet the missus! She been waiting oh-so patiently for her handsome fella to arrive. There's so much to do!"
"They fink Alvin the sohn of Humperdink and he's getting married."
"What?! What in the hells is that things smoking?" "...and who am I supposed to be marrying? ... "Might as well play the part. No?"
Granas glances at the elf with a solemn expression. "I'm not sure about this, but we may have no choice for now. Be careful." Granas answers Alwin in English, then clasping Alwin on his other shoulder. "Here, allow me." Granas says simply and then casts Tongues on Alwin [-12 PPE, 40 minutes, 98% All Languages spoken/heard] to allow his elven friend to understand the Koala-fae.

To Blinky, Granas looks to the others and nods. "Yes, lead on. But please keep our return a surprise for now. We needn't cause a ruckus just for arriving early." Granas adds, attempting to play along as well. These bears are allies of Humperdinck in some form, last thing we need is them spreading word to him... but it may already be too late for that. Granas resigns internally. If he notices the drop bear warning or notices other bears, he takes a breathe. And we're walking straight into the center of them. He thinks to himself. The wizard accustomed to new and dangerous places, but with his mission in mind, his normally blithe demeanor while traveling is far more serious.

While walking, he'll look at Double Trouble with a smile as he pulls out his own Oponi pipe. "What're you smoking, Double Trouble? Ever had Oponi? I'd love to share some herbs with you. Whatever you're smoke smells quite nice." Granas adds, walking near the rear of the group attempting to get on Double Trouble's good side. [Did Granas recognize the herb from his roll in the last post?]
Granas, the traveling mage
Coma/Death:
Magic (varies): +4 (+1 to save vs magic at levels 9, 12 and 15)
Lethal Poison (14+):
Non-Lethal Poison (16+):
Insanity (12+):
Psionics (varies):
Horror Factor (varies): +4

PPE: 245/245 || ISP: 54/54 || HP: 41/41 | SDC: 22/22
Please Do Not PM This Account, PM Underguard Instead
User avatar
Runidia Shatterhelm
Posts: 23
Joined: Tue Aug 22, 2023 12:53 pm

Re: The Princess Bride : Endgame

Post by Runidia Shatterhelm »

Perception: 1d100: [57] = 57 / 36%
JiC d100: 1d100: [8] = 8 ; JiC d20: 1d20: [17] = 17

Runidia hides the momentary disappointment of the koala-men not speaking Dwarvish rather well. Especially considering the fact that they seem to be speaking Wolfen instead humorous. The moment they begin to trade growls with Mürrischer, the dwarf laughs. A short, happy laugh, that likely doesn't seem to make any sense to the others.

She turns to Granas and the rest, stating simply with a grin, "These folk seem ta be friendly enough. Ah'll keep watch fer any approachers, make sure we aren't bein' surrounded. Ain't no good as a watch, mind, so don't be too put out wit' me if'n we're still ambushed," she says amiably. With a click of her tongue, she turns to face away from the koala people, making sure to give them a hearty smile so they know her turn about isn't meant to be unfriendly. While keeping her eyes outward, she still listens in to what parts of the conversation she can understand, not sharing a language or having a spell cast to aid her.

As she keeps a look out, her hand stays close to her axe and shield, wary not just of what could be coming from the outside, but in case their new friends aren't so friendly after all. Still, she's fairly relaxed, the closed sight lines of the jungle almost comforting, reminding her of the mines and caves in which she had grown up. Odd ta be feelin' so at ease given what's goin' on. Mayhaps Ah'm jus' overcompensatin' fer earlier. Better not ta let it cloud me judgement, though.
Runidia Shatterhelm
Is this knight ever sober?

Personal Status
P.P.E.: 12 / 12
H.P.: 28 / 28
S.D.C.: 30 / 30
Gear Status
Armor Status
A.R.: 17
S.D.C.: 160 / 160

Shield Status
S.D.C.: 100 / 100

Belle Status
H.P.: 28 / 28
S.D.C.: 42 / 42

Barding Status
A.R.: 14
S.D.C.: 70 / 70
Constant Abilities
Nightvision: 90’
User avatar
Locknar
Dimension Master
Posts: 409
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2015 11:56 am
Location: PFRPG GM & DM

Re: The Princess Bride : Endgame

Post by Locknar »

Smoke and Mirrors Elevators.
Unknown Jungle
Date: 25 September, 345
Weather: Clear skies
Time: 1:20pm

Alwin, Granas, Mürrischer, Rigel (NPC), Runidia, Tolliver


Blinky's misidentification – Alwin for Humperdinck's offspring – presents an unexpected opening. With Mürrischer translating, the ever resourceful Alwin believes he sees a path to exploit. With a commanding air, he steps forward, ready to play the part.
Alwin wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 11:52 amAlwin turns to Muri and says, "Ask them if dinner is prepared. Tell them the princess's son is hungry and thirsty... and doesn't like to wait."
The koala guards, Blinky and Double-Trouble, beam with pride at Alwin's proclamation. Double Trouble even manages to puff out both cigars simultaneously in a show of approval.

"Follow me, young princeling!" declares Blinky, and he leads the party on a merry jaunt. Granas casts Tongues on Alwin, enabling him to comprehend the speech of these strange beings. Alwin, as the royal leader, walks up front with Blinky. Mürrischer follows a half-step behind, but towers over the pair.

For her part, Runidia maintains an outwardly amiable and pleasant demeanor, but is watchful for any nasty surprises. She finds none. The koala folk seem genuinely pleased to see them, and do not seem outwardly hostile. Nonetheless she keeps her weapons close. Trask, perhaps sensing this, positions himself on the opposing flank. Any attack from the right or left would be met by either human or dwarven steel.

Granas drops back towards the rear with Double-Trouble. The wizard does not recognise the herb the koala folk are smoking, and so he asks.
Granas wrote: Sun May 19, 2024 8:30 pm While walking, he'll look at Double Trouble with a smile as he pulls out his own Oponi pipe. "What're you smoking, Double Trouble? Ever had Oponi? I'd love to share some herbs with you. Whatever you're smoke smells quite nice."
Double-Trouble, the dual-cigar-wielding koala warrior, raises an eyebrow at Granas. His bloodshot eyes peer suspiciously over the thick smoking cylinders wedged between his teeth. The smoke from both cigars momentarily seems to form two comical horns on his head before dissipating into the eucalyptus-scented air.

"Now that's a right purty pipe you got there, mate," he mumbles through the haze, his voice a gravelly rumble further muddled by the double cigars. "But this here," he gestures with one cigar, nearly losing it in the process, "is Manna Gum. Top shelf stuff, keeps a fella strong and healthy, see?" He puffs on both cigars simultaneously.

"Now hold on there a sec, Double Trouble!" Blinky exclaims from the front. "Don't be misleadin' the good bloke! Ironbark, that's the real stuff! Makes yer fur shine like a new penny, and gives ya the bite of a grumpy shark!" He winks at Granas. "You won't know strength till you've smoked on a good ironbark leaf, mate!"

"Bulldust! Manna Gum. All the way." Double-Trouble retorts.

"Ironbark!"

"Manna Gum!"

This goes on a bit longer, and before you know it you're walking through the village. Gumsmoke unfolds before our heroes – a vibrant jumble of thatched huts nestled amid the towering trees and lazy plumes of wafting smoke. And these aren't mere ground dwellings; many are built upon raised platforms. These are connected by rope bridges that sway gently in the breeze. It seems a perfect blend of nature and ingenuity.

You are led into a building with a hard wooden floor and no roof. Once all are inside the floor beneath their feet jolts.

The floor is in fact some kind of elevator! It rises steadily, propelled by an unseen force. Looking up, our heroes are met with a breathtaking vista. The heart of Gumsmoke truly lies within the trees. Wide platforms jut out from colossal trunks, cradling entire houses high above the forest floor. Rope bridges, thick and sturdy, connect these aerial dwellings, forming a bustling network of pathways. Koalas amble about, some lounging on platforms, others traversing the bridges with surprising agility.

Blinky chuckles, his gruff voice amused and proud.

"This 'ere's the Up-Down," he explains with a thick accented drawl. "Saves a whole heap of time, see?"

The platform lurches again, coming to rest with a gentle thud. You are all now roughly fifty feet above the ground, the dense foliage almost completely obscuring the forest floor below. Emerging onto a spacious platform, the party are led to a large thatched pavilion. A wooden table, crafted from a massive tree trunk slice, dominates the interior, surrounded by sturdy chairs.

Seated at the table is an aged koala, his fur a patchwork of greys and browns. "This," Blinky gestures with a flourish, "is Chief Ten-Tokes, the leader of Gumsmoke."

"Welcome, new friends!" booms Chief Ten-Tokes, his voice surprisingly deep for such a creature. "I am Chief Ten-Tokes, and I am glad to see your Lord Humperdinck is a man of his word. Some of my kin were a tad skeptical about his bargain, but here you are!" He throws back his head and lets out a hearty laugh, the sound echoing through the pavilion.

"Come, come, sit yourselves down! Blinky and Double-Trouble, bring refreshments!" Alwin is given a prominent seat besides the chieftan, and others may sit where they will.

Koala servants scurry about, setting an array of curious dishes on the table. Drinks follow, served in hollowed-out gourds.

The party might sample the unfamiliar fare, or try the drinks.

"Fermented honey nectar, the best!"
The aroma might truly captivate certain dwarves. A sweet, heady scent seeps from the narrow opening, a fragrance that speaks not just of honey, but of time and transformation. It is the unmistakable perfume of mead, aged and potent.


"Gum leaf tea, just like nanna used to make."
The aroma rising from the steaming cup is unlike anything encountered before. A subtle fragrance, a whisper of mint mingling with the clean, almost medicinal scent of eucalyptus. The tea's color is a pale green.


"How about you sink a cold one or three?"
Within is an amber liquid that bubbles merrily. It has a head of foam. A frothy, off-white crown that resembles a cloud formation after a summer storm. The golden liquid itself shimmers beneath that froth. The aroma is familiar to everyone - a delightful mix of the expected – a pleasant hoppy bitterness – and a hint of something smoky. Like a campfire on a cool evening. Beer!


"Oh the Chef's special, you'll love this..."
A large, round platter made from woven eucalyptus bark lies before the hungry heroes. The centerpiece? Both intriguing and slightly unsettling. The smell is delicious, a faint, nutty aroma, but you see before you a mosaic of roasted white char-grilled grubs. They are the size of a finger each. Dozens of the plump grubs, their bodies glistening with a light sheen of oil. Oh how they are artfully positioned! Their segmented forms radiate outwards from the center. Sprinkled around the grubs, like colorful confetti, were various garnishes. Bright red berries add jewel-like pops of color. Chopped gum leaves offers a green contrast, with fragrance, while a scattering of crushed black seeds promise a hint of earthiness. A small drizzle of a golden sauce, possibly honey mixed with something herbal, glistens on the grubs' surfaces.

Who wants a bite?


"Macadamias these are. Finest nuts in all the lands!"
A hefty ceramic bowl overflows with round nuts you've never seen before. A creamy beige colour, and each nut, a near-perfect sphere. Surely an irresistible invitation to delve into the bounty?


While you eat and drink, Chief Ten-Tokes leans towards Blinky, their voices dropping to a whisper. The Chief listens intently, then a slow smile spreads across his face. He turns his gaze towards Granas, and a look of curiosity gleams in his ancient bloodshot eyes.

"This 'Oponi' you mentioned," he rumbles, his voice heavy with a newfound seriousness. "Tell me more about it."

He then reaches for a long, gnarled eucalyptus cigar from a woven basket beside him. The thing is colossal, easily twice the size of those puffed on by the guards. A cigar worthy of a chief! Leaning to a candle, he lights the end, and a plume of fragrant smoke rises into the air.

"Come," he rumbles commandingly and he gestures towards Granas with the monstrous cigar.

"Let us smoke the Ciggie of Peace and forge a bond of friendship. Then we can talk, you must have a stack of questions!"

All koala eyes turn to the wizard, awaiting his reaction to the offered cigar. While Granas contemplates his next move, the chieftain leans over and whispers to Alwin. "And I've a few for you as well, for starters how should we address you, Son of Humperdinck?"


WHAT ARE YOUR INTENTIONS?


Butcher's Bill
Alwin: 37/37 H.P., 40/40 S.D.C.: 40, 58/110 P.P.E. | Tongues 25min
Granas: 41/41 H.P., 22/22 S.D.C., 6/54 I.S.P., 221/245 P.P.E. | Tongues 25min
Ivy: 18/22 H.P., 23/23 S.D.C., 27/41 I.S.P. | Armor: Cloak of Protection (AR 14 : 33/150 SDC)
Mürrischer: 30/30 H.P., 9/29 S.D.C., 28/28 I.S.P.
Runidia: 28/28 H.P., 30/30 S.D.C., 12/12 P.P.E.| Armor: Dwarf Plate AR: 17; 160/160 | Shield 100/100
Tolliver: 49/49 H.P., 71/71 S.D.C., 27/44 I.S.P. | Armor: Splint Mail AR: 16; 82/82;
-= Palladium Fantasy DM =-
User avatar
Alwin
Posts: 146
Joined: Thu Oct 06, 2022 6:54 am

Re: The Princess Bride : Endgame

Post by Alwin »

Perception: 37% vs 1d100: [90] = 90
JIC: 1d20: [16] = 16 and 1d100: [89] = 89

Conditions:

Skills

Lore: Magic General Knowledge: 55% vs 1d100: [22] = 22 - Try to identify if the food has any magical properties.
Recognize Poison 44% vs 1d100: [92] = 92 - See if the food and drink is recognizable as a poison.
Lore: Culture & Customs 60% vs 1d100: [91] = 91 - Watch the bears as the move through the village to see if he can get a feel for their culture. Do they seem violent, how do they interact with each other, are there children around and how are they perceived.

Post
Locknar wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 12:24 am All koala eyes turn to the wizard, awaiting his reaction to the offered cigar. While Granas contemplates his next move, the chieftain leans over and whispers to Alwin. "And I've a few for you as well, for starters how should we address you, Son of Humperdinck?"
Alwin follows the bears as they are led to the table. Along the way he watches the people of the village as close as possible, ignoring the banter of the bears leading the party.

He sits next to the Chieftan and looks around the room trying to identify any riches these creatures might have gathered in Humperdinck's service. When the food is brought out, he examines it closely trying to figure out if it is safe to consume.

When the Chieftan asks what to call him, he replies, "you can call me Prince... Prince of the All-wind." The elf looks the Chieftan in the eyes to gauge his response. "tell me Chieftan, so I can be sure you fully understand my father's wishes... In your words now, what is your understanding of the bargain?" Alwin holds the koala's gaze.
User avatar
Locknar
Dimension Master
Posts: 409
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2015 11:56 am
Location: PFRPG GM & DM

Re: The Princess Bride : Endgame

Post by Locknar »

Mini-Update: Wedding Bells.
Unknown Jungle
Date: 25 September, 345
Weather: Clear skies
Time: 1:23pm

Alwin, Granas, Mürrischer, Rigel (NPC), Runidia, Tolliver

Alwin wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 12:38 pm When the Chieftan asks what to call him, he replies, "you can call me Prince... Prince of the All-wind." The elf looks the Chieftan in the eyes to gauge his response. "tell me Chieftan, so I can be sure you fully understand my father's wishes... In your words now, what is your understanding of the bargain?" Alwin holds the koala's gaze.
A flicker of surprise appears on Chief Ten Tokes' fuzzy face as Alwin declares himself 'Prince of the All-wind.' The elder koala scrutinizes Alwin for a long moment, his bloodshot eyes showing a mix of curiosity and cautious assessment.

"Prince of the All-wind," Ten Tokes echoes, as if testing the title. He glances around the gathered koalas, their expressions a mix of confusion and curiosity.

Turning back to Alwin, Ten Tokes' gaze is steady. "Your old man, Prince Humperdinck, came rollin' in this mornin' with a whole swag of requests. First up, he wanted a safe passage – a way to get his hide beyond the Great Wall." The old koala gestures towards the northwest.

"The things that lurk in that jungle," he continues, his voice dropping to a low growl, "ain't for the faint of heart. Now, your father, bein' this mighty hunter and all, promised to keep Gumsmoke safe from those nasties while he's off on his little jaunt."

Ten Tokes pauses, looking to Alwin as if checking to see if he misunderstood anything. "But that ain't all," he continues, his eyes locking with Alwin's, "he wanted us to keep an eye on his… well, that shiny stone monstrosity," he gestures in another direction, presumably towards the keep, "until he gets back. Chuck in a steady supply of tucker and fresh water for his blokes stationed inside, and, most curiously of all," he drawls, a hint of suspicion peekin' through, "he wanted us to let his men know the second anyone even thinks about approachin' his fancy digs."

The Chief leaned forward, his gaze steady as a rock. "Now, in exchange for all this," he continues, "your father offered to keep those horrors beyond the Wall at bay. But then he throws in this other offer – a right corker of a festival for the whole Ten Tokes clan, to be held when you wed your new promised bride."

"Now the way we heard it," Ten Tokes adds, scratching his chin thoughtfully, "it sounded like you weren't due till after your old man got back from his hunt up north. But he only left this mornin', and now you're on our doorstep! So, you want to wait till he gets back, or you wanna just go ahead and get hitched right away?"

A large, round female koala lumbers into the pavillion at that moment.

"Ah," the Chief smiles broadly, "this is my daughter, Petal."
_8edc50cc-4c8c-4a46-8cfe-449907b70b42.jpg
With a pointed elbow jab into Runidia's side, Rigel leans in. His voice is barely a whisper but laced with mirth. "Well well," he titters delightedly in his human tongue and his eyes are indeed gleaming with amusement, "Looks like Alwin's bride is here. He won't mind surely, I'm sure he's dated worse."

GM: In the run to end of Quad I'll reply as often as practical to whatever reactions your characters have. Enjoy.
-= Palladium Fantasy DM =-
User avatar
Mürrischer Reisender
Posts: 93
Joined: Sun Jan 08, 2023 10:28 am

Re: The Princess Bride : Endgame

Post by Mürrischer Reisender »

Perception: 1d100: [38] = 38 /43%
JIC: 1d20: [7] = 7 / 1d100: [27] = 27

He follows the koalas, amused by the argument of which herb was best for their health but doesn't add to it as he has no knowledge of how smoking herbs for health works or what could be there.

Coming upon the platforms of buildings brings concern to his mind, Is that built for their species or did they expects travelers. Only one way to find out I guess

The introduction to the Chieftain receives a nod and an, "I''m Flauschige." His thoughts also go to Is that what you're calling it? at Alwin's introduction.

You may know where you are, but don't know if it's real. He reminds himself, seeing that there's unfamiliar things that draw his curiosity and almost physically hesitates to touch anything. He shows plenty of curiosity as he asks about what's on the table in very heavy Wolfen, "Was ist das?
What is this?


Now I want to test that theory. He thinks almost immediately upon hearing 'mighty hunter'. "I've seen quite a lot in my traveling the world."

"I haven't met this 'Humperdink' Vhat's he like? All-Wind hardly talks about 'im." He asks, hoping for more on he man they're looking for.

Petal entering almost causes a smirk to crack onto his face. "Vell she seems nice, All-Wind."
Mürrischer Mürrischer | Ledger Ledger
User avatar
Locknar
Dimension Master
Posts: 409
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2015 11:56 am
Location: PFRPG GM & DM

Re: The Princess Bride : Endgame

Post by Locknar »

Mini-Update: Blinky talks with Mürrischer.
Unknown Jungle
Date: 25 September, 345
Weather: Clear skies
Time: 1:23pm

Alwin, Granas, Mürrischer, Rigel (NPC), Runidia, Tolliver


As the leaders speak at the head of the table, so too do the henchmen. We find Mürrischer and Blinky exchanging thoughts.
Mürrischer Reisender wrote: Sat May 25, 2024 9:34 am Now I want to test that theory. He thinks almost immediately upon hearing 'mighty hunter'. "I've seen quite a lot in my traveling the world."

"I haven't met this 'Humperdink' Vhat's he like? All-Wind hardly talks about 'im." He asks, hoping for more on he man they're looking for.
Blinky, is near at hand when the wolfen asks the question, and he leans closer to reply. "Humperdinck, eh? That feller's a right mystery, a walking riddle wrapped in an enigma," he growls and yips in fluent though curiously accented Wolfen. "This whole business sprung up faster than a joey hopping out of its pouch."

"So it's hard to say really. It was just this mornin'," Blinky continues, "your fancy stone contraption, the 'Stone House' we call it, appeared right outside Gumsmoke. Now, we ain't seen nothin' like it in our lives! Humperdinck must be a powerful fella."

He pauses, taking a sip from a teacup filled with the steaming green liquid, and he spills a few drops down his fuzzy chest. "So this Humperdinck bloke," Blinky continues as he wipes himself with a paw, "shows up at the front of a whole pack of fellas. Sharp eyes on our spotters noticed him examining tracks on the ground – seems he knows a thing or two about bush craft, that's for sure."

"Didn't take long for him to find our village and have a chinwag with Chief Ten-Tokes," Blinky said. "From what we could gather, he's on some kind of mission, a right burning desire to head north as fast as his legs can carry him."

He leans in even further, his blinking eyes gleaming. "Seems like a brave fella, that Humperdinck. We all warned him about the dangers past the Wall! Things that'd make a drop bear think twice. But those warnings bounced right off him. Fearless, that's what I'd call him." He glances at Alwin, and whispers so only Mürrischer is likely to hear, "Or crazy. But don't tell ya boss I said that."

Blinky sits back, a thoughtful look on his face. "I can say one thing's for sure, this whole thing with Humperdinck has stirred up the peace and quiet of Gumsmoke somethin' fierce."

"I mean, are you lot stayin?" Blinky asks the wolfen. "It looks like he's stayin, with his lad here moving in and getting hitched. And if we got a tough neighbor like that about, I reckon that can't be a bad thing. Be nice to have more friendly faces south of the wall."

GM: In the run to end of Quad I'll reply as often as practical to whatever reactions your characters have. Enjoy.
-= Palladium Fantasy DM =-
User avatar
Granas
Posts: 97
Joined: Thu Apr 20, 2023 6:40 am

Re: The Princess Bride : Endgame

Post by Granas »

Perception: 1d100: [73] = 73 /46%
JiC: 1d100: [80] = 80 / 1d20: [14] = 14

Conditions: Sixth Sense [Inactive, 2ISP] | I.S.P. Remaining: 54/54 | PPE Remaining: 221/245 | Spell Strength: 15 | Familiar Empathetic/Telepathic Link 600ft | Tongues [40 Min | All Languages 98%]

Skye
Skye remains on Granas' shoulder until danger is present or otherwise instructed.

Track by Sight: 1d100: [46] = 46 /88%
Track by Smell: 1d100: [84] = 84 /60%
Prowl: 1d100: [33] = 33 /88% (Not getting shot at)


Skills
Botany: 1d100: [96] = 96 /82% [Ironbark or Mamma Gum, does he recognize the names.]
Recognize Poisons: 1d100: [78] = 78 /57% [The Cigar of Peace, will it knock him out?]

Post

Granas watches with growing amusement as Blinky and Double Trouble argue between Ironbark and Manna Gum. Granas tries to recall anything he might have heard about the two herbs now that he knows their names. The term Ironbark striking some sort of memory, though not one Granas can place in the moment. They argue not unlike brothers would. Their carefree attitude is as amusing as it is disconcerting. I have to wonder what their true relationship to Humperdinck is... Granas ponders to himself, a soft smile on his face as he listens to the two argue about it before the village is in sight.

Granas is impressed with their ingenuity and ability to advance while staying close with nature. My family could learn much from these folks. A near true symbiotic relationship with the natural world around them. Woven bridges and houses high above ground, blending with nature without defiling it. As beautiful as it is dangerous. Granas muses, almost awestruck by the village. When led to the Up-Down, Granas looks around with the look of one who's genuinely impressed. "Most ingenius." Granas says as their taken 15 ft above ground level thanks to the rising platform.
Chief Ten-Tokes wrote:"I am Chief Ten-Tokes, and I am glad to see your Lord Humperdinck is a man of his word. Some of my kin were a tad skeptical about his bargain, but here you are!"
Granas hides a wince at the mention of a Humperdinck bargain. Interesting, so what did Humperdinck bargain for. He obviously offered up his son, whomever that is, for something.. but for what reward? Safe passage, perhaps? As carefree as they seem, they are far more dangerous than they appear. Granas continues in his mind, trying to figure out what exactly is their relationship. Granas offers a formal bow to Ten-Tokes after but a moment. "Well met, Chief. I am called Granas." Granas says with a smile.

Granas will sit with his back to a window, preferably. The wizard looking towards his familiar as Skye remains on his shoulder. The avian close to Granas' head and returning the gaze his master gives him, sending a wash of purple into Granas' mind. We're fine for now, Skye. Though that may change by the minute. Stay close. Granas advises his avian friend, turning his attention to the beverages and food that lay before them. Granas will reach for a cup of the Gum Leaf Tea but refrain from any food for the time being. The wizard taking in the scent of the tea with a nod of approval. "A good green tea is of my favorites." Granas says aloud, too no one in specific.
Chief Ten-Tokes wrote:"This 'Oponi' you mentioned," ... "Tell me more about it."
Granas glances up from the cup before taking a drink and sets it down. It's as if Granas momentarily forgets where he is and his mission and he falls back into his old ways of being a friendly, knowledge sharing traveler. "Oh, of course! Oponi is but a common herb, a weed of sorts, that provides one with a most euphoric high. It is commonly chewed, but I've found smoking it too be better. Many a night studying would be coupled by this herb and any headache I had would evaporate. My focus on my task was tunneled. My surroundings lifted, almost like free-floating on a cloud. A number of disagreements over the years were settled while smoking this herb, and many friendships made." Granas explains his use and understanding of Oponi. I wish I had some Veroc with me as well, I would love to introduce that. Maybe I will seek out a stockpile later on, or perhaps my own seeds to grow both Oponi and Veroc. Granas continues the thought in his head as his eyes widen at the sight of the cigar of peace.
Chief Ten-Tokes wrote:"Come," ... "Let us smoke the Ciggie of Peace and forge a bond of friendship. Then we can talk, you must have a stack of questions!"
Granas doesn't hesitate to take the cigar from the Chief. "A bond of friendship is something I can always smoke too. Allow me to share some of my Oponi, though I fear it may be less potent than your herbs." Granas says as he prepares to take a puff.

Before Granas takes a puff, he listens to the Chief's answers for both Alwin and Mürrischer. Blinking twice in realization. Safe passage and watching of his keep, while away. I wonder if that means Luna is at the Keep, or gone beyond the Wall. The tracks we saw were fresh, but I don't recall anyone mentioning the specific kind of tracks, or if Luna's scent was among them... It seems like this Humperdinck is using these folks... but that confirms that this keep is the one we seek. Granas muses, his conscious struggling to maintain the lie of being Humperdinck's allies, but mentally wrestling with it. He's still holding the monstrous cigar as if he's about to smoke it, though lost in thought until another thought comes to mind.

"I'm curious, did Prince Humperdinck enjoy the Cigar of Peace as well?" Granas asks nonchalantly before adding "And did you see who Prince Humperdinck was traveling with? I wonder if one or two of our friends are with him, or back at the Keep. We came earlier as there are some things we need to discuss prior to the Prince of the All-Wind being married." Granas asks, still holding the cigar. I wonder where Humperdinck's son being married to the Koala-Chief's daughter came into the bargain. An attempt to seal an alliance, perhaps. Granas considers. Shaking his head, he smiles. "Forgive my manners." He then says and takes a puff and passes it back to the Chief. I just hope this doesn't knock me out. Granas won't inhale the cigar smoke, instead holding the puff in his mouth for a time before releasing.
Granas, the traveling mage
Coma/Death:
Magic (varies): +4 (+1 to save vs magic at levels 9, 12 and 15)
Lethal Poison (14+):
Non-Lethal Poison (16+):
Insanity (12+):
Psionics (varies):
Horror Factor (varies): +4

PPE: 245/245 || ISP: 54/54 || HP: 41/41 | SDC: 22/22
Please Do Not PM This Account, PM Underguard Instead
User avatar
Locknar
Dimension Master
Posts: 409
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2015 11:56 am
Location: PFRPG GM & DM

Re: The Princess Bride : Endgame

Post by Locknar »

Mini-Update: Granas, enjoying the highs and lows.
Unknown Jungle
Date: 25 September, 345
Weather: Clear skies
Time: 1:23pm

Alwin, Granas, Mürrischer, Rigel (NPC), Runidia, Tolliver


Granas takes a tentative puff of the Cigar of Peace. He feels the smoke is unusually thick and acrid on his throat. A strange warmth spreads through him, tingling in his fingertips and buzzing behind his eyes. The world seems to sharpen – he can hear the distant squawk of Skye somewhere outside, and the rustle of the leaves disturbed by a passing breeze by the window. Colours too seems more vibrant, the various dishes and beverages laid out of the table before him appear to almost shimmer with an inner light.

But something else has shifted in his mind. Though he cannot quite ascertain at first what it is, and for a moment he wonders at it. Then he realises, his psi abilities are out of reach. No longer can he reach out with his mind to touch the minds of others. It is as if a psychic fog surrounds him, blocking his outward view. But it is replaced with something else - a profound inward focus. It is as if his psychic potential has turned back on itself, flooding his own consciousness with an unexpected clarity.

Until further notice:
  • +15% to perception checks
  • Mind block
  • Normal psi abilities unavailable
  • ?
GM: In the run to end of Quad I'll reply as often as practical to whatever reactions your characters have. Enjoy.
-= Palladium Fantasy DM =-
User avatar
Tolliver Trask
Posts: 245
Joined: Tue Jun 06, 2017 5:54 pm
Contact:

Re: The Princess Bride : Endgame

Post by Tolliver Trask »

Perception: 1d100: [65] = 65 /65%
Just in Case: 1d20: [17] = 17 , 1d100: [33] = 33
Conditions: Sixth Sense (Inactive), Ambidextrous, Resistant to Cold (Soupcon; 1/2 damage from Cold based attacks).
HP: 54/54
S.D.C.: 71/71
I.S.P.: 27/44
P.P.E.: 10/10
Armor: Splint Mail AR: 16; 82/82; -15% Prowl, Spd reduced by 20%
Tower Shield of the Hex Indestructible


Language: Other: Wolfen 1d100: [25] = 25 /15% (Understand what he's watching/hearing.)

Trask can officially say to himself that this may be one of the weirdest situations he's ever been in. Dragon building vast catacombs full of disease and poison below Llorn, Storming Northholme to take it back from Orcs, months of guerilla fighting versus the Wolfen Empire with the beleaguered Danzi, pretty much any interaction with Silhouette. These small bear men, have generally taken the cake, and it shows in the old mans face. What is this place? Is all the old man can internalize.

Trask watches the interactions with the small bearmen, and Alwin, Mursch, and Granas. While Trask understands Alwin and Granas due to their magic, Trask is only catching a word here and there of the rest of the conversation, which makes it difficult to discern if there is an issue. The arrival of the female small bearman, adds to his confusion even further.

Trask eyes the food and drink, but decides to not partake, having been the victim of Fae food in the distant past. Trask looks to Runindia. "You getting any of this?"
"Tonight, boys, we're eating like kings. We've all tasted death too much it seems." ~Shawn James
Tolliver Trask; The Suicide King
User avatar
Runidia Shatterhelm
Posts: 23
Joined: Tue Aug 22, 2023 12:53 pm

Re: The Princess Bride : Endgame

Post by Runidia Shatterhelm »

Perception: 1d100: [28] = 28 / 36%
JiC d100: 1d100: [100] = 100 ; JiC d20: 1d20: [5] = 5


Traveling up the elevator is quite the affair for the dwarf, who has to repeatedly coax Belle to riding up with them, not willing to leave her precious friend behind in the care of the koala-people. As the group settles in for a feast, she ties Belle down nearby, subtly keeping her within eyesight even as she beams at the meal before her.

With hardly a worry on her face, Runidia plucks the honeyed mead for herself, giving it a deep sniff before grinning widely. "Ah, smells quite delightful!" She sloshes it around in her cup a moment, making a show of delighting in how it looks and smells, though in truth she's partly trying to tell if there's anything in it that could be dangerous. Can't 'urt ta be careful, what wit' tha changelings about.

Fail! - Brewing: 1d100: [69] = 69 / 55% - Smell or potentially taste if there's anything off in the mead based on her extensive experience with alcohol.

If the drink seems to be on the up and up, she'll drink deeply and enjoy the hearty beverage. If not, she'll merely take the small taste and set it down when the koala-men are distracted.
Rigel wrote:With a pointed elbow jab into Runidia's side, Rigel leans in. His voice is barely a whisper but laced with mirth. "Well well," he titters delightedly in his human tongue and his eyes are indeed gleaming with amusement, "Looks like Alwin's bride is here. He won't mind surely, I'm sure he's dated worse."
Rundia laughs heartily at the simple tease, leaning in and giving her own conspiratorial whisper, after giving the koala woman a quick glance over. "As 'ave I! Ah'm sure tha two will 'ave many little ones runnin' around in no time. Any idea how quick a koala turns children around?" She laughs again, giving her friend a firm pat on the back.
Trask wrote:Trask eyes the food and drink, but decides to not partake, having been the victim of Fae food in the distant past. Trask looks to Runindia. "You getting any of this?"
She gives him a lopsided grin. "Not a word, lad, not a word! But Ah got mah axe on me, if'n things go sour. Ah'm hopin' fer a pleasant time, though. Good fer morale ta 'ave a night ta relax before ya get to the grit of the work." Her smile falters almost imperceptibly as the task at hand slips into her mind, but she quickly moves past it. "Until otherwise, Ah'll enjoy the hospitality as far as Ah can trust it."
Runidia Shatterhelm
Is this knight ever sober?

Personal Status
P.P.E.: 12 / 12
H.P.: 28 / 28
S.D.C.: 30 / 30
Gear Status
Armor Status
A.R.: 17
S.D.C.: 160 / 160

Shield Status
S.D.C.: 100 / 100

Belle Status
H.P.: 28 / 28
S.D.C.: 42 / 42

Barding Status
A.R.: 14
S.D.C.: 70 / 70
Constant Abilities
Nightvision: 90’
Post Reply

Return to “Fantasy Adventures”