Detroit: (Operation: Sandman)

Post Reply
User avatar
Sum of All Fears
Dimension Master
Posts: 333
Joined: Mon Apr 27, 2020 2:24 pm

Detroit: (Operation: Sandman)

Post by Sum of All Fears »

”DTG” wrote: 27 January 3026
1745 hrs
Winter; 5०F
Clear
The babysitter, Jannet Barker, comes down the stairs with little Nimiko in tow, a small red mark on the side of her face from an errant stuffed urbie. She looks around Jannet and sniffs the air for a second.
You guys smell weird!” Jannet gives a reproachful look at Nimiko.
”That’s not a nice thing to say, Nimiko. Jannet looks at everyone in sweat drenched clothes and gives a warm smile, ”I’ll keep an eye on the little one while you all go get cleaned up.” Jannet is a live-in babysitter for Nimiko. She lives in the building with everyone. She is compensated 1,000 C-Bills per month by Liang for her services which include general education.


When the vidcomm rings:
CPT Fisher chuckles at the myriad of reactions to his summons. ”Well, Please make sure you eat something first. Be in the briefing room in 30 minutes.” He gives a rare grin as he signs off. As you all turn to the kitchen, Jannet is already preparing some high protein sandwiches and instant pasta bowls for everyone. ”I could do more with more time, but at least you won't go hungery.” Jannet looks at Liang, ”It’s fine Miss. Nothing I’m not used to.”
Nimiko pipes up, ”But I want to go out. You have to go again? Nimiko pouts a little bit, but she knows her mother has a job she has to do.

It takes a few minutes to eat and change into work clothes. Heavy artillery is left in your rooms as you head to the briefing room at the headquarters.



Upon arriving at the large HQ building you are immediately let in and escorted to the briefing room by the evening guard shift. Seems like something is going on. They don’t usually do that.
As they enter the room, CPT Fisher is standing at the head of the room. Sigma are the only people present.

CPT Fisher nods to the guards who shut the door behind them. ”Good evening. I apologize for calling you all this late. Please take your seats and I’ll explain what is going on. CPT Fisher hits a few buttons and a map is displayed on the screen behind him. ”Here we have our location. He uses a laser pointer to highlight different areas, ”Over here we have had multiple reports of activity near several mining sites in this cluster here. The mines are in a cluster 2,200km to the east of Ann Arbor. They seem to be owned by Real Steel, a company linked to the planetary government. There is a DDF and two Majesty Metals supply depots in the area as well. ”Both ground sensors and eye witnesses have indicated mech movement in the area. We are not sure what they are planning. With any luck it’s just a rival corporation scoping out the competition as both Majesty Metals and Corvatti Corporation operate in the same area. Infighting between the two corporations has been often but unimpactful to the Planetary government. I’m sending you out as an advanced scout element to verify the identity of these mech’s and ascertain their intentions. This is a fact finding mission. Announce yourselves as part of the DDF and only engage as a last resort. I don’t want any more issues than we already have with the corporations, but I want you guys coming home alive. Go it? He looks very serious. He wants everyone to come home at the end of the mission. ”I know two of you have your own mechs. Please use those, also there are several DDF Mech’s or Vehicles you can choose from to assist you with this mission. He pulls up a slide with a list of mechs and one vehicle for use. ”Let me know your choices and I’ll relay the information to the mechbay. You’ll be shuttled to the area by a leopard drop ship. I’d like you to leave within the hour. What questions do you have for me?”
Slide wrote:
  • Rifleman RFL-3N
  • Centurion CN9-A
  • Griffin GRF-1S
  • Commando COM-2D
  • Panther PNT-9R
  • Locust LCT-1E
  • Pegasus Scout Tank
Ok time to choose...how are you going to tackle this???
BattleTech DM / Megaversal Arena Coordinator

"Any problem can be solved with the judicious application of high explosives."

Other Accounts: Wolf Whitaker (Roughnecks PC); Keiko (H4H PC); Talon (PW: GA); Nyx Tempest (PW: CAF)
User avatar
JC (Johnny)
Posts: 23
Joined: Mon Apr 15, 2024 9:26 am

Re: Detroit: (Operation: Sandman)

Post by JC (Johnny) »

Perception: 2d6+2: [4, 5]+2 = 11 / (7 Base TN)
JIC: 2d6: [4, 4] = 8
JIC: 2d6: [4, 5] = 9

Active Effects: (Good Vision, Good Hearing)
Fears wrote:As they enter the room, CPT Fisher is standing at the head of the room. Sigma are the only people present.
Not seeing the other mech team in the room JC leans in to whisper in Jackson’s ear, ”Maybe message Ivy that we have a mission so she,” And the brunette ”don’t think we ghosted them?”
Fears wrote: ”Let me know your choices and I’ll relay the information to the mechbay. You’ll be shuttled to the area by a leopard drop ship. I’d like you to leave within the hour. What questions do you have for me?”
JC glances over the list knowing he only has experience with one type. ”Griffin for me. Any chance you have one modified with one of the lasers on the left arm? Don’t like to keep all my eggs in one basket.”

He then moves closer to the map to get a better look and does a quick tally of what he needs to bring along. T-shirt and shorts under cooling vest. Armor, rifle, and ruck can go in the pilot storage….
User avatar
Jackson Cooper
Posts: 22
Joined: Sun Mar 24, 2024 8:08 am

Re: Detroit: (Operation: Sandman)

Post by Jackson Cooper »

Jackson is sulking in his chair with his feet up on the chair in front of him, still clearly salty about having his date interrupted.
Not seeing the other mech team in the room JC leans in to whisper in Jackson’s ear, ”Maybe message Ivy that we have a mission so she,” And the brunette ”don’t think we ghosted them?”
"Yeah. Maybe. Wait, them?" Jackson raises an eyebrow as the briefing comes to an end.

When Captain Fisher finishes his part of the briefing, Jackson sits up and raises his hand.

"So let me get this straight, sir. We're going down there to make sure everything is hunky dory? And we're to make our presence known? Also, sir, who will be commanding the lance? Or is that up to us?"
User avatar
JC (Johnny)
Posts: 23
Joined: Mon Apr 15, 2024 9:26 am

Re: Detroit: (Operation: Sandman)

Post by JC (Johnny) »

Jackson wrote:"So let me get this straight, sir. We're going down there to make sure everything is hunky dory? And we're to make our presence known? Also, sir, who will be commanding the lance? Or is that up to us?"
Jackson's voice pulls JC from his planning. "Sounds like a show of force. Don't engage, but let them know we are watching." JC looks around the room. Jackson is trying to get command to make his position official. When you don't have the power to get what you want, lick the boots of those that do. "Given it is an intel and scouting mission, perhaps Smolder should take lead."

The best way to power isn't to get it from someone more powerful. It is to get the support of the team and have them give it to you.
User avatar
Margret Smolders
Posts: 23
Joined: Sun Mar 24, 2024 9:25 am

Re: Detroit: (Operation: Sandman)

Post by Margret Smolders »

Perception: 2d6+2: [1, 3]+2 = 6
JIC: 2d6: [1, 4] = 5
JIC: 2d6: [6, 1] = 7

She listens, where and what taken in ears wanting to hear a magic word or phrase. She doesn't really care about most of the information, but doesn't outwardly show it. Taking notes as she hears the assignment, making sense only to her. She rapidly clicks her pen before asking questions, "Any projects in the area I should know about?"
JC (Johnny) wrote: Sat May 11, 2024 5:11 amJackson's voice pulls JC from his planning. "Sounds like a show of force. Don't engage, but let them know we are watching." JC looks around the room. Jackson is trying to get command to make his position official. When you don't have the power to get what you want, lick the boots of those that do. "Given it is an intel and scouting mission, perhaps Smolder should take lead."
She holds back from hitting him on the back of the head. "Jazz, the Cap'n literally said not to do that."
User avatar
Liang Yun
Posts: 35
Joined: Sun Mar 24, 2024 12:27 pm

Re: Detroit: (Operation: Sandman)

Post by Liang Yun »

Perception: 2d6: [4, 4] = 8 / (7 Base TN)
JIC:
2d6: [2, 4] = 6
2d6: [3, 2] = 5

Active Effects:
Fears wrote:You guys smell weird!” Jannet gives a reproachful look at Nimiko.
That’s not a nice thing to say, Nimiko. Jannet looks at everyone in sweat drenched clothes and gives a warm smile, ”I’ll keep an eye on the little one while you all go get cleaned up.” Jannet is a live-in babysitter for Nimiko. She lives in the building with everyone. She is compensated 1,000 C-Bills per month by Liang for her services which include general education.
"I appreciate that Jannet," Liang says looking at, Nimiko, "Stuffed urbies are toys, not to be thrown at people. " she crouches in front Nimiko, "I need to take a shower. Can you be a good girl while I do that. " she touches the tip of Niniko's nose.
fears wrote:As the call comes in:
Nimiko pipes up, ”But I want to go out. You have to go again? Nimiko pouts a little bit, but she knows her mother has a job she has to do.
"I wish I did not have to do my job, Little one," she says smiling, "Someone has to keep our new home safe. When I get back we go out somewhere.. She hugs the girl and kisses her on the forehead before leaving. This was the time she hated most. Any time she had to leave her daughter behind and go into the field. Liang knew it had to be that way, but did not like it.

the Briefing:
Recon work? That is always a gamble. Cooperations are always sparring, worse than militaries or pirates. "I tend to agree with Margret on this. A show of force will redirect attention to us and alter their mission." she adds "and alert Whoever they work for of our goals."

Noticing JC's and Jackson's chat it was likely about their love lives. Typical soldiers. Liang thinks to herself but says nothing to them. She did know about preparing for that. A few messages to Nimiko were ready if she did not make it home. one of the most unpleasant duties of a soldier in her mind.

"If you have spare remote sensors could we equip a Pegasus HT with them? Replace the SRM 6 with an SR4 for the drones to fit in. Those remote sensors could be deployed for a lot of reasons. Maybe put camo nets on them and turn them off if we think they will be spotted. Our team needs all the mechs it has. It would be easier for me to do all that with some help. A pilot and gunner for the Pegasus could be helpful if you can spare some personnel support weapons to deal with armor mechs for the tank I would appreciate it. perhaps anti-Mech infantry?" she asks.

Looks like my old cavalry kit is coming out. I wonder if a tanker's smoke still fits right? It's better to stick with my Ab-flak. she thinks. Maybe some Anti-armour weapons and CQB gear just in case we need to go inside buildings or the tank gets killed.
User avatar
Sum of All Fears
Dimension Master
Posts: 333
Joined: Mon Apr 27, 2020 2:24 pm

Re: Detroit: (Operation: Sandman)

Post by Sum of All Fears »

”DTG” wrote: 27 January 3026
1745 hrs
Winter; 5०F
Clear
CPT Fisher regards everyone seriously for a moment listening to their comments and questions. He shakes his head for a moment, ”Ok. Maybe this wasn’t clear. That might be on me. Look, you represent the DDF when you are on mission or under contract with us. Do you understand what that means?” CTP Fisher pauses briefly to ensure this point is driven home, ”When you are on a mission you operate with the authority of the Planetary Government. You are acting as representatives of the Planetary Government. You are peacekeepers, so yes. You will announce your presence and figure out who the mech’s belong to and what they are doing out there. If I wanted a show of force I would send for a different lance. I want you because you seem to be able to string together a conversation and have more to offer than just killing things. Even if you didn’t announce yourself it’s not like they won’t know your coming. The drop ship is kind of visible and generally your radar and sensors have a much longer range then any weapon you have. But on the off chance these are pirates looking to raid a settlement or supply depot. Then at least you will be able to draw them to you and away from civilians. The Corporations know not to randomly attack the DDF as they kind of have a vested interest in staying on this rock. CPT Fisher takes a few breaths, As far as how you get the job done or who you decide is your lance leader…I don’t care.
CPT Fisher actually raises an eyebrow at the multitude of customization requests from Sigma. ”Look, we're not in the inner sphere. The DDF has what it has and none of the mechtechs have the time to try and figure out custom loads. Long and short is, you get what you get. I can assign a gunner for you, Liang. He’ll meet you on the Dropship.” He looks at them once more, ”Any other questions? If not then please report to the Mech Bay within the hour. Your transport will be Angel II. I will send word to have you mechs and vehicles loaded up for you.” With that CTP Fisher dismisses everyone.

Ok. More details Hopefully this helps answer those questions or maybe it cause more LOL!!!!


BattleTech DM / Megaversal Arena Coordinator

"Any problem can be solved with the judicious application of high explosives."

Other Accounts: Wolf Whitaker (Roughnecks PC); Keiko (H4H PC); Talon (PW: GA); Nyx Tempest (PW: CAF)
User avatar
JC (Johnny)
Posts: 23
Joined: Mon Apr 15, 2024 9:26 am

Re: Detroit: (Operation: Sandman)

Post by JC (Johnny) »

Perception: 2d6+2: [1, 6]+2 = 9 / (7 Base TN)
JIC: 2d6: [1, 5] = 6
JIC: 2d6: [6, 2] = 8

Active Effects: (Good Vision, Good Hearing)
Smolders wrote: She holds back from hitting him on the back of the head. "Jazz, the Cap'n literally said not to do that."
JC looks over his shoulder seeing Smolders tense as if she wants to slap him. Well, wouldn’t be the first time a woman slapped me. At this rate I might get to like it.

He tries a cocky, lopsided smile. ”I guess it is a good thing you will be in charge of the mission then…….Ma’am”

Falcon turns back around pay attention to the rest of the conversation.
Liang wrote: A pilot and gunner for the Pegasus could be helpful if you can spare some personnel support weapons to deal with armor mechs for the tank I would appreciate it. perhaps anti-Mech infantry?" she asks.

JC raises his eyebrows at this request. Boy, she saw my one modification and went all in. Perhaps she wants to command a full company some day.
Fears wrote: You will announce your presence and figure out who the mech’s belong to and what they are doing out there. If I wanted a show of force I would send for a different lance….. I can assign a gunner for you, Liang. He’ll meet you on the Dropship.
JC looks a bit frustrated at the gentle chastisement from the CPT. Seriously, that is what I meant. Presence, then Verbal… I know I just took that Use of Force class on Feltre to get my Hunting permit, but….

”Liang, if you still need a driver, I can drive. Don’t want your vehicle to be down just to put me in a Mech.”
User avatar
Jackson Cooper
Posts: 22
Joined: Sun Mar 24, 2024 8:08 am

Re: Detroit: (Operation: Sandman)

Post by Jackson Cooper »

Perception: 2d6+3: [6, 5]+3 = 14
JIC: 2d6: [5, 1] = 6
JIC: 2d6: [1, 2] = 3

Jackson's voice pulls JC from his planning. "Sounds like a show of force. Don't engage, but let them know we are watching." JC looks around the room. Jackson is trying to get command to make his position official. When you don't have the power to get what you want, lick the boots of those that do. "Given it is an intel and scouting mission, perhaps Smolder should take lead."
"Sure thing, bossman." Jackson shrugs. He looks a bit hurt, but does his best to downplay it.

Jackson nods along with the captain's explanation. Sounds like a milk run. As the briefing finishes, he turns to the others. "Gonna head to the mechbay and make sure Shelly's warmed up and ready to go."

Once they've been excused, Jackson makes for the mechbay.
Dice rolls
2d6: [6, 6] = 12
User avatar
Margret Smolders
Posts: 23
Joined: Sun Mar 24, 2024 9:25 am

Re: Detroit: (Operation: Sandman)

Post by Margret Smolders »

Perception: 2d6+2: [2, 2]+2 = 6
JIC: 2d6: [6, 4] = 10
JIC: 2d6: [1, 6] = 7

Funny you think I'm a good influence given what I do. She finds a little humor in being told she's a representative of the DDF. She puts her tiny notepad and pen away, feeling she has everything she'll need.

"Yes Captain." She says upon the Lance's dismissal and exits.

"If any of our guns go off first, I'm punching all of you." She a second after the door closes and they're all in the hall on the way to the mechbay. "So play nice."

"I have a monkey to turn on." She says, giving no context unless it's asked for as she heads for the bay, taking a detour to get a pistol, 5 bullets [or equivalent], and sock that can fit over her head and face that she hides from view in the most appropriate places from wherever these things are issued, probably a simple task, given her full OCPs at the moment. She gives no context she takes the detour if she does, only stating, "I need to piss, don't wait."
User avatar
Liang Yun
Posts: 35
Joined: Sun Mar 24, 2024 12:27 pm

Re: Detroit: (Operation: Sandman)

Post by Liang Yun »

Perception: 2d6+2: [3, 6]+2 = 11 / (7 Base TN)
JIC: 2d6: [6, 2] = 8
2d6: [6, 1] = 7
Active Effects:
JC wrote:” Liang, if you still need a driver, I can drive. Don’t want your vehicle to be down just to put me in a Mech.”
"I should be fine as long the gunner does was at chili night last night or not prone to motion sickness." she jokes.
Fears wrote:” Look, we're not in the inner sphere. The DDF has what it has and none of the mechtechs have the time to try and figure out custom loads. Long and short is, you get what you get. I can assign a gunner for you, Liang. He’ll meet you on the Dropship.”
"I meant no offense. Thank you for the gunner. I am not fully aware of what resources are at our disposal. I can get a list of what is available after the briefing. I will keep an eye out for salvage we can use." She nods as she replies Never hurts to salvage, even if the stuff remains in the team and is not registered with the DDF. Liang thinks.
Margret wrote:"If any of our guns go off first, I'm punching all of you."
"any unnecessary aggression may cause whatever pirate or other operations to move on or act faster. A DDF patrol is a routine sort of thing so we should be fine." she adds agreeing with Margret. a cavalry unit was often sent out on scouting missions. In her case, it was to case locations for good targets and valuable salvage instead of just simple intel. Sometimes, information was worth more than a snub PPC or AC-20.

"I have to get some gear and grab a few things from the barracks." she says as she gets up after the briefing. Among them was a digital recording of Nimiko and a photo of her. They weren't regulations, but she did remember her golden rule. What a soldier does to keep focused in the field, stays in the field if no one else is hurt.

This felt to her to be pirates or raiders waiting for something. If it was a raid why wait? the big question is what or who was the target?
Last edited by Liang Yun on Mon May 13, 2024 4:54 pm, edited 3 times in total.
User avatar
JC (Johnny)
Posts: 23
Joined: Mon Apr 15, 2024 9:26 am

Re: Detroit: (Operation: Sandman)

Post by JC (Johnny) »

Looking to the others JC looks towards the mechbay, then outside.

"You guys go on ahead. I want to get back to the barracks and get some gear....and get into shorts and such. Meet you in the bay in plenty of time."

Alone or with others JC goes back to the barracks, changes into shorts, t-shirt, and plassteel boots. He makes sure his dagger and pistol are secured in their holsters, grabs his ruck and rifle, and heads back to the mechbay. Once there, he gets a cooling vest and heads to his Griffin to stow his gear.
User avatar
Margret Smolders
Posts: 23
Joined: Sun Mar 24, 2024 9:25 am

Re: Detroit: (Operation: Sandman)

Post by Margret Smolders »

[Rolls Carried]
Liang Yun wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 2:17 pm"any unnecessary aggression may cause whatever pirate or other operations to move on or act faster. A DDF patrol is a routine sort of thing so we should be fine." she adds agreeing with Margret. a cavalry unit was often sent out on scouting missions. In her case, it was to case locations for good targets and valuable salvage instead of just simple intel. Sometimes, information was worth more than a snub PPC or AC-20.
"The Cap'n also said not to." She answers as she walks. "So unless someone else starts it, no one needs to shoot no body."
JC (Johnny) wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 2:25 pm"You guys go on ahead. I want to get back to the barracks and get some gear....and get into shorts and such. Meet you in the bay in plenty of time."
"No pit stops for the red-'ead." She calls after him in a teasing manner with a serious undertone. "There'll be plenty of time after we say hi to the strange people in robots."

Worse case scenario, we make a friend.
User avatar
Liang Yun
Posts: 35
Joined: Sun Mar 24, 2024 12:27 pm

Re: Detroit: (Operation: Sandman)

Post by Liang Yun »

Marget wrote:"The Cap'n also said not to." She answers as she walks. "So unless someone else starts it, no one needs to shoot no body."
Here hoping the enemy will be on the same mission. Given what I know about pirates and the criminal operations I already know they will likely be given the order to leave no traces if they can, or to go out in a blaze of glory. she thinks as he makes for a change in clothes. Quick-drying sportswear under armor made sense. in case she had to go mech piloting. perhaps keeping a trio of cooling vests in the tank as well might help. If it were her tank she would. But not her tank so it was a vest in carry gear.
Margret wrote:"No pit stops for the red-'ead." She calls after him in a teasing manner with a serious undertone. "There'll be plenty of time after we say hi to the strange people in robots."
Heh, Considering Pilots he may try and sneak her aboard. She chuckles to herself as she leaves.
User avatar
Jackson Cooper
Posts: 22
Joined: Sun Mar 24, 2024 8:08 am

Re: Detroit: (Operation: Sandman)

Post by Jackson Cooper »

Jackson hits the lights in the mechbay, illuminating his mech. He runs his hand across one of the legs as he makes his way to the lift and takes it up, neuro-helmet tucked under one arm. He sets his helmet down on the dash of the cockpit and takes his seat. His hands dance across the lights and switches in the cockpit as he runs a diagnostic prior to power up. After keeping at it for a good fifteen minutes or so, he nods, clearly satisfied with his handywork. He leans back in his chair and closes his eyes.

This is the real deal, Shelly. I hate to admit it, but I'm nervous. How about you, old girl?
Post Reply

Return to “Inner Sphere: Adventures”