Hold Back the Night. Chapter 4.

Where Chaos Earth adventures take place.
User avatar
Myth and Jest
Dimension Master
Posts: 106
Joined: Mon Nov 28, 2022 10:42 am
Location: Chaos Earth DM

Hold Back the Night. Chapter 4.

Post by Myth and Jest »

Hold Back the Night. Chp. Four

05:55 - 29 December – Convoy Camp Indianapolis

With all the civilians squared away departing with the convoy, Lt. Gomez calls on the comm. “Good work, Falcon and Marconi. You brought them all back alive.” She pauses for a moment, which seems to imply something more. “For doing such fine work, you’re being rewarded by the traditional method of being assigned more work! You’ve been reassigned to Convoy Security, commanded by Captain Fairmont. Your assignment is Security Team Detail Ten (STD10) with Private Walkowski and Militia Member LeBlanc, which should arrive at your locale momentarily. I also convinced Supply to release two robot hounds to STD 10. Don’t make me regret it, Falcon.” The former Sergeant grumbles. “We’re almost to Chicago, so there’s no wandering off to play pattycake.”

As Gomez breaks the comm connection, a large, rugged, ten-foot-tall ATV with four huge wheels quietly rolls up and slides to a stop before them. Rex and Nora, two robot dog drones, follow behind and remotely connect to Falcon’s HUD. The doors swing open, and two guys drop down from the vehicle. The driver, Walkowski, wears a standard NEMA uniform that borderlines the weight limits of the standard fitness regulations in a flabby way. The other guy, LeBlanc, a lanky blond-haired kid, wears a mix-match of National Guard, NEMA, and civilian garb, whom Marconi recognizes from his previous post in Atlanta.

LeBlanc smiles with a shit-eating grin when he spots Marconi and smacks Marconi on the arm. “Holy Hell. I heard you were dead! Where have you been this whole time?” The Cajun says it in an easygoing southern accent.

The dark-haired Private Walkowski, who looks too old to hold the rank of private, stomps over to Falcon. “I guess that puts you in charge, Sergeant.” Walkowski eyes Falcon’s cybernetics with unease. “Who did you piss off for a ‘borg like you to get put down to guard duty?” The heavy man chuckles.
Last edited by Myth and Jest on Tue Apr 16, 2024 10:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Clarifying Dialogue.
Liam Marconi
Posts: 109
Joined: Mon Dec 05, 2022 8:21 am

Re: Hold Back the Night. Chapter 4.

Post by Liam Marconi »

Perception (24%): 1d100: [84] = 84
JIC (d20/d%): 1d20: [12] = 12 / 1d100: [85] = 85
Myth and Jest wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 1:34 pm Hold Back the Night. Chp. Four

05:55 - 29 December – Convoy Camp Indianapolis

With all the civilians squared away on the truck and the convoy prepared to depart, Lt. Gomez calls on the comm. “Good work, Falcon and Marconi. You brought them all back alive.”
Marconi notes, "Actually the driver rescued half of them."
Myth and Jest wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 1:34 pmShe pauses for a moment, which seems to imply something more. “For doing such fine work, you’re being rewarded by the traditional method of being assigned more work! You’ve been reassigned to Convoy Security, commanded by Captain Fairmont. Your assignment is Security Team Detail Ten (STD10) with Private Walkowski and Militia Member LeBlanc, which should arrive at your locale momentarily. I also convinced Supply to release two robot hounds to STD 10. Don’t make me regret it, Falcon.” The former Sergeant grumbles. “We’re almost to Chicago, so there’s no wandering off to play pattycake. Keep focused! Gomez out.”
Marconi comments to Falcon, "Security detail eh, probably not more dangerous than our last few assignments."
Myth and Jest wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 1:34 pmAs Gomez breaks the comm connection, a large, rugged, ten-foot-tall ATV with four huge wheels quietly rolls up and slides to a stop before them. Rex and Nora, two robot dog drones, follow behind and remotely connect to Falcon’s HUD. The doors swing open, and two guys drop down from the vehicle. One wears a standard NEMA uniform that borderlines the weight limits of the standard fitness regulations in a flabby way. The other guy, a lanky blond-haired kid, wears a mix match of National Guard, NEMA, and civilian garb, who Marconi recognizes from his previous post in Atlanta.

LeBlanc smiles with a shit-eating grin when he spots Marconi and smacks Marconi on the arm. “Holy Hell. I heard you were dead! Where have you been this whole time?” The cajun says it in an easygoing southern accent.

The dark-haired Private Walkowski, who looks too old to hold the rank of private, stomps over to Falcon. “I guess that puts you in charge, Sergeant.” Walkowski eyes Falcon’s cybernetics with unease. “Who did you piss off for a ‘borg like you to get put down to guard duty?” The heavy man chuckles.
Marconi answers his fellow militia member, "No one has quite managed to kill me yet, not for lack of trying. As to where I have been...well actually I can not tell you much of that because it is classified. I can tell you that, if you are ever with me near a blue line, you are probably better off near me than otherwise."

It is good to see Leblanc again, he had not managed to form up with is training squad when they left Atalanta, which is how he wound up assigned with Falcon. It is also good to see the two robodogs, we could have used their sensors on that last rescue.
Last edited by Liam Marconi on Sat Apr 13, 2024 7:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
Falcon
Posts: 90
Joined: Thu Dec 29, 2022 1:13 pm

Re: Hold Back the Night. Chapter 4.

Post by Falcon »

OOC Comments
Perception: 18% / 1d100: [32] = 32
JIC: 1d20: [7] = 7 / 1d100: [59] = 59
+2 v HF, +2 v Lethal/Non-lethal Toxins, +6% vs Coma/Death, +2 vs Magic, +2 vs Insanity, +2 vs Psionics
M&J wrote: Lt. Gomez calls on the comm. “Good work, Falcon and Marconi. You brought them all back alive.”
Marconi wrote: Marconi notes, "Actually the driver rescued half of them."
Falcon gives Marconi a bit of side eye…er visor. I know he can’t see with my helmet, but…

”Dude, you have got to learn when to speak and when to keep quiet.”

Over the coms he replies to Gomez. Blue: ”Good, I take this as verbal confirmation of Marconi’s promotion to corporal. I expect to get the official paperwork by end of day tomorrow.”
M&J wrote: ten-foot-tall ATV with four huge wheels quietly rolls up and slides to a stop before them. Rex and Nora, two robot dog drones, follow behind and remotely connect to Falcon’s HUD. The doors swing open, and two guys drop down from the vehicle…. LeBlanc smiles with a shit-eating grin when he spots Marconi and smacks Marconi on the arm. “Holy Hell. I heard you were dead! Where have you been this whole time?”… The dark-haired Private Walkowski, who looks too old to hold the rank of private, stomps over to Falcon. “I guess that puts you in charge, Sergeant.” Walkowski eyes Falcon’s cybernetics with unease. “Who did you piss off for a ‘borg like you to get put down to guard duty?” The heavy man chuckles.
Falcon squats down to welcome the hounds with hugs and pats. He then stands to greet Walkowski. ”Many people. I piss off many people. Even when they are the ones who gave me the mission.” Falcon looks both Walko and LeBlanc over, noting how he and Marconi interact.

”Other than security duty, do you have any additional information? Are we outriders, if so, which side? Do we rove the length of the convowy, or are we rear guard?”



OOC Comments
In case of violence: Initiative +4 (+5 w/rifles)
Initiative: 1d20+5: 1d20+5: [8]+5 = 13

Actions performed not necessarily in this order

Action 1: Reserved for Dodge/vehicle maneuver
Action 2: Reserved for Dodge/vehicle maneuver
Action 3: Strike: Rifle 1d20+9: [9]+9 = 18 , Damage - SDC (5D6): 5d6: [4, 4, 3, 4, 1] = 16 , Damage - MDC (3D6): 3d6: [5, 4, 2] = 11
Action 4: Strike: Rifle 1d20+9: [17]+9 = 26 , Damage - SDC (5D6): 5d6: [5, 1, 5, 6, 1] = 18 , Damage - MDC (3D6): 3d6: [1, 3, 2] = 6
Action 5: Strike: Rifle 1d20+9: [1]+9 = 10 , Damage - SDC (5D6): 5d6: [6, 3, 5, 6, 3] = 23 , Damage - MDC (3D6): 3d6: [6, 1, 4] = 11
Action 6: Strike: Rifle 1d20+9: [4]+9 = 13 , Damage - SDC (5D6): 5d6: [1, 2, 6, 4, 5] = 18 , Damage - MDC (3D6): 3d6: [4, 5, 1] = 10

Parries (+8 included): 1d20+8: [12]+8 = 20 , 1d20+8: [6]+8 = 14 , 1d20+8: [10]+8 = 18 , 1d20+8: [1]+8 = 9 , 1d20+8: [1]+8 = 9
Dodges (+9 included): 1d20+9: [8]+9 = 17 , 1d20+9: [11]+9 = 20 , 1d20+9: [7]+9 = 16 , 1d20+9: [1]+9 = 10 , 1d20+9: [18]+9 = 27
User avatar
Myth and Jest
Dimension Master
Posts: 106
Joined: Mon Nov 28, 2022 10:42 am
Location: Chaos Earth DM

Re: Hold Back the Night. Chapter 4.

Post by Myth and Jest »

06:00 - 29 December – Convoy Near Indianapolis
Marconi wrote:Marconi notes, "Actually the driver rescued half of them."
Gomez chuckles when Marconi mentions Chuck rescued three of the six missing teens. “Well shit, sounds like we should put him on our payroll.” She sighs for a moment. “But the reality is we need everyone to step up if we’re going to survive this mess.”
Falcon wrote:”Good, I take this as verbal confirmation of Marconi’s promotion to corporal. I expect to get the official paperwork by end of day tomorrow.”
“Unfortunately, your request to promote Marconi to the rank of Corporal has not been approved. Officially, all personnel matters are postponed until the convoy reaches Chicago. Unofficially, I think the Powers-that-Be are still pissed at Marconi for discussing classified information to a crowd of soldiers, that, or there is something else they don’t trust about him…” She lets that last part hang in silence. “I’ll try to push it through, but I’m on the Shit List as well. Going from Senior NCO to First Lieutenant wasn’t a promotion but a punishment. NEMA can’t afford to kick anyone out, but they weren’t going to let my disobeying orders slide. They’re keeping an eye on me, and you better believe they’re doing the same to you. You’re now under Captain Fairmont’s command, so try not to piss him off too! Gomez, out.” She chuckles.
Marconi wrote:"As to where I have been...well actually I can not tell you much of that because it is classified."
LeBlanc grins even wider when Marconi mentions his whereabouts are classified. “Sureeee.” He draws out. “Mr. Superspy here is all classified Top Secret. If you told me, you’d have to kill me, am I right?!” He laughs and slaps Marconi on the back in a good-natured way.
Marconi wrote:"I can tell you that, if you are ever with me near a blue line, you are probably better off near me than otherwise."
“If we’re going anywhere near those radioactive blue zones, I’ll be sure to hold my nuts with lead-lined gloves. The ladies need me fit to repopulate the world!” His grin gets wider at his joke, and his roll-with-the-punches attitude is infectious even in the apocalypse.
Falcon wrote:”Many people. I piss off many people. Even when they are the ones who gave me the mission. Other than security duty, do you have any additional information? Are we outriders, if so, which side? Do we rove the length of the convowy, or are we rear guard?”
Walkowski chuckles at Falcon’s reply about pissing people off. “You and me both. Welcome to Shit Team Duty 10. As for details, we’ll follow the supply trucks at the rear of the convoy. How about we in the ATV follow the trucks and use you as a quick scout if anything looks suspicious? You call in any danger, and we’ll come to back you up, quick-like."

He’s interrupted when Captain Fairmont broadcasts over the radio. “Everyone load in. We’re heading out. Keep your focus out there. Call it in immediately if you see anything dangerous, out of place, or unusual. It’s our job to keep everyone safe. We will not fail; we are NEMA. Fairmont, out.”

The convoy starts moving, and the last line of supply trucks follows behind. Walkowski jumps back into the ATV’s driver seat without waiting for Falcon’s response. “Enough chit-chat, it’s time for business!”

LeBlanc rolls his eyes and motions to Marconi. “Come on, before we’re left behind. I’ll even give you Shotgun.” He laughs again and squeezes into the ATV’s back seat between supply boxes stacked to the cab’s roof.
OOC Comments
LC-366 Laser Cannon (1): A single-barreled laser turret mounted on top of the vehicle. It can rotate 360 degrees and has a 70 degree angle of fire (up and down). May be fired by the driver or a front seat gunner using a console control that resembles a video game control pad, or a roof seated gunner. (CE page 69)
NEMA Combat ATV MX-366 - Chaos Earth.jpg
User avatar
Falcon
Posts: 90
Joined: Thu Dec 29, 2022 1:13 pm

Re: Hold Back the Night. Chapter 4.

Post by Falcon »

OOC Comments
Perception: 18% / 1d100: [18] = 18
JIC: 1d20: [8] = 8 / 1d100: [8] = 8
+2 v HF, +2 v Lethal/Non-lethal Toxins, +6% vs Coma/Death, +2 vs Magic, +2 vs Insanity, +2 vs Psionics
Pilot: Motorcycle (73%) 1d100: [53] = 53
M&J wrote: The convoy starts moving, and the last line of supply trucks follows behind. Walkowski jumps back into the ATV’s driver seat without waiting for Falcon’s response. “Enough chit-chat, it’s time for business!”
Falcon nods and mounts his bike, motioning for the hounds to take up positions on each side of him. All things told, it could be worse. The guys don’t seem too bad. All set, they take off up the convoy.

As he heads up the side of the convoy, the hounds following at 10 meter intervals, Falcon opens a channel to the ATV. ”I’ll rove about a mile ahead, then turn around and rove about a mile behind you guys. That should allow for cover of the convoy without getting too far apart.”

That said, Falcon and his hounds begin their 2 mile loops.



OOC Comments
In case of violence: Initiative +4 (+5 w/rifles)
Initiative: 1d20+4: 1d20+4: [7]+4 = 11

Actions performed not necessarily in this order

Action 1: Reserved for Dodge/vehicle maneuver
Action 2: Reserved for Dodge/vehicle maneuver
Action 3: Strike: MX-14 Laser 1d20: [13] = 13 , Damage (2D6 MD): 2d6: [1, 4] = 5
Action 3: Strike: MX-14 Laser 1d20: [5] = 5 , Damage (2D6 MD): 2d6: [6, 5] = 11
Action 3: Strike: MX-14 Laser 1d20: [5] = 5 , Damage (2D6 MD): 2d6: [1, 2] = 3
Action 3: Strike: MX-14 Laser 1d20: [13] = 13 , Damage (2D6 MD): 2d6: [4, 3] = 7

Parries (+8 included): 1d20+8: [5]+8 = 13 , 1d20+8: [1]+8 = 9 , 1d20+8: [7]+8 = 15 , 1d20+8: [2]+8 = 10 , 1d20+8: [19]+8 = 27
Dodges (+9 included): 1d20+9: [15]+9 = 24 , 1d20+9: [11]+9 = 20 , 1d20+9: [12]+9 = 21 , 1d20+9: [16]+9 = 25 , 1d20+9: [16]+9 = 25
Rex:
Initiative
Initiative: 1d20: 1d20: [11] = 11

Actions performed not necessarily in this order

Action 1: Reserved for Dodge
Action 2: Strike: Head Lasers: 1d20+2: [2]+2 = 4 , Damage – MDC (4D4): 4d4: [1, 4, 2, 2] = 9
Action 3: Strike: Head Lasers: 1d20+2: [6]+2 = 8 , Damage – MDC (4D4): 4d4: [1, 4, 1, 1] = 7
Action 4: Strike: Head Lasers: 1d20+2: [15]+2 = 17 , Damage – MDC (4D4): 4d4: [3, 1, 4, 1] = 9
Action 5: Strike: Head Lasers: 1d20+2: [3]+2 = 5 , Damage – MDC (4D4): 4d4: [1, 4, 2, 4] = 11
Action 6: Strike: Head Lasers: 1d20+2: [18]+2 = 20 , Damage – MDC (4D4): 4d4: [4, 3, 4, 4] = 15

Parries/Dodges
Parries (+1 included): 1d20+1: [4]+1 = 5 , 1d20+1: [7]+1 = 8 , 1d20+1: [2]+1 = 3 , 1d20+1: [15]+1 = 16 , 1d20+1: [19]+1 = 20
Dodges (+4 included): 1d20+4: [16]+4 = 20 , 1d20+4: [11]+4 = 15 , 1d20+4: [17]+4 = 21 , 1d20+4: [13]+4 = 17 , 1d20+4: [6]+4 = 10

Nora:
Initiative
Initiative: 1d20: 1d20: [12] = 12

Actions performed not necessarily in this order

Action 1: Reserved for Dodge
Action 2: Strike: Head Lasers: 1d20+2: [11]+2 = 13 , Damage – MDC (4D4): 4d4: [4, 4, 4, 3] = 15
Action 3: Strike: Head Lasers: 1d20+2: [6]+2 = 8 , Damage – MDC (4D4): 4d4: [3, 3, 2, 3] = 11
Action 4: Strike: Head Lasers: 1d20+2: [8]+2 = 10 , Damage – MDC (4D4): 4d4: [3, 2, 2, 2] = 9
Action 5: Strike: Head Lasers: 1d20+2: [5]+2 = 7 , Damage – MDC (4D4): 4d4: [3, 4, 2, 1] = 10
Action 6: Strike: Head Lasers: 1d20+2: [12]+2 = 14 , Damage – MDC (4D4): 4d4: [1, 2, 1, 2] = 6

Parries/Dodges
Parries (+1 included): 1d20+1: [5]+1 = 6 , 1d20+1: [18]+1 = 19 , 1d20+1: [3]+1 = 4 , 1d20+1: [6]+1 = 7 , 1d20+1: [1]+1 = 2
Dodges (+4 included): 1d20+4: [3]+4 = 7 , 1d20+4: [2]+4 = 6 , 1d20+4: [15]+4 = 19 , 1d20+4: [12]+4 = 16 , 1d20+4: [13]+4 = 17
Liam Marconi
Posts: 109
Joined: Mon Dec 05, 2022 8:21 am

Re: Hold Back the Night. Chapter 4.

Post by Liam Marconi »

1d100: [8] = 8 1d100: [8] = 8 Perception (24% - Standard): 1d100: [36] = 36
JIC (d20/d%): 1d20: [2] = 2 / 1d100: [19] = 19

Marconi starts to get into the ATV and stops, something in him finds the thought of being inside a vehicle sealed away from the environment repellent. He is not sure why, but he gets the feeling that if he is inside, he will not be able to use his abilities if he should happen to need them.

He thinks, I think, from how often we have crossed the lines the last few days, that I may need my access before the end of the day. If my hunch is right, that means I will need to be outside.

He says, "For some reason, I seem to be suffering a touch of claustrophobia, I will ride up on the gunner's nest if that is all right."
OOC Comments
He should have no reason to object, as I am still doing to job of being observer and gunner.
He takes the seat in the gunner's nest, which is actually located on the back of the gun itself, buckles up, and transmits on squad frequency, "On-line and ready to rock and roll."

Weapon System (40%) rolls if needed:
1d100: [94] = 94 , 1d100: [52] = 52 , 1d100: [67] = 67 , 1d100: [8] = 8 , 1d100: [70] = 70
User avatar
Myth and Jest
Dimension Master
Posts: 106
Joined: Mon Nov 28, 2022 10:42 am
Location: Chaos Earth DM

Re: Hold Back the Night. Chapter 4.

Post by Myth and Jest »

10:00 - 29 December – Convoy several hours away from the Chicago area.
Marconi wrote:"For some reason, I seem to be suffering a touch of claustrophobia, I will ride up on the gunner's nest if that is all right."
Walkowki and LeBlanc exchange a questioning glance to each other when Marconi mentions riding on top of the ATV, considering the freezing temperatures and wind chill. They pause for a moment before Walkowski smiles and shrugs. “Alright, suit yourself. If you feel like freezing up top, go for it, but we ain’t stopping unless the convoy does.”

LeBlanc chuckles. “That means more room for me!” as he climbs into the front passenger seat.

Marconi noticed that the supplies in the back were mainly ammo, energy clips and missiles, and medical gear before climbing the ATV.
Falcon wrote:”I’ll rove about a mile ahead, then turn around and rove about a mile behind you guys. That should allow for cover of the convoy without getting too far apart.”
“Roger that Sergeant Falcon. Roving up to one mile distance. Call out if you need us. Base 10, out.” LeBlanc replies.

A few hours pass as the sky brightens into a dim, cloud-covered dawn. Visibility remains low throughout the day from the falling ash and snow flung about in the blowing wind. The cold has crept through Marconi’s clothing, not enough to become dangerous, just uncomfortable.

The convoy drives slowly down the center of a freeway, bisecting the center of a ruined metropolis. Rubble and debris fill most of the space between the standing skyscrapers, creating a canyon-like effect and limiting the available exits off the freeway.

Falcon had passed STD10’s ATV a few minutes before heading up to the lead of the convoy column and zipping by a dark open tunnel exit on his right. So far, it’s the only open exit he’s seen for several miles.

Sitting cold on top of the ATV, Marconi notices half a dozen supply trucks turn off from the convoy and speed into the dark exit tunnel. His ATV smoothly turns and follows the trucks as they disappear into the tunnel entrance.

In his rear cameras and mirrors, Falcon sees the trucks peel away from the convoy.
User avatar
Falcon
Posts: 90
Joined: Thu Dec 29, 2022 1:13 pm

Re: Hold Back the Night. Chapter 4.

Post by Falcon »

OOC Comments
Perception: 18% / 1d100: [52] = 52
JIC: 1d20: [13] = 13 / 1d100: [26] = 26
+2 v HF, +2 v Lethal/Non-lethal Toxins, +6% vs Coma/Death, +2 vs Magic, +2 vs Insanity, +2 vs Psionics
M&J wrote: “Roger that Sergeant Falcon. Roving up to one mile distance. Call out if you need us. Base 10, out.” LeBlanc replies.
Falcon smiles. I think I will like these guys. Hopefully they don’t get themselves or Marconi killed. ”Roger that Base CLAP 10. Check in every 15 minutes.” He then sets a timer to go of every 15 minutes before rocketing off with hounds behind. Seriously, I wonder how many STD callsigns I can give them.
M&J wrote: Sitting cold on top of the ATV, Marconi notices half a dozen supply trucks turn off from the convoy and speed into the dark exit tunnel. His ATV smoothly turns and follows the trucks as they disappear into the tunnel entrance.

In his rear cameras and mirrors, Falcon sees the trucks peel away from the convoy.
Falcon takes a second look, then stops his bike, letting the rest of the convoy slowly move past. Making certain their team was not the last security on the road, he turns his bike and hounds to follow his team.

”Convoy command, this is Falcon. Several vehicles and the rest of STD 10 took a detour off main route. Rerouting to investigate. Falcon out.”[/b] Don’t want to give them a chance to say no or send someone else.

Falcon then opens the team’s direct line.”Base 10, you just followed some trucks off the main route. You know something I don’t?”[/b]




OOC Comments
In case of violence: Initiative +4 (+5 w/rifles)
Initiative: 1d20+5: 1d20+5: [15]+5 = 20

Actions performed not necessarily in this order

Action 1: Reserved for Dodge/vehicle maneuver
Action 2: Reserved for Dodge/vehicle maneuver
Action 3: Strike: Rifle 1d20+9: [18]+9 = 27 , Damage - SDC (5D6): 5d6: [1, 5, 5, 1, 1] = 13 , Damage - MDC (3D6): 3d6: [5, 5, 6] = 16
Action 4: Strike: Rifle 1d20+9: [12]+9 = 21 , Damage - SDC (5D6): 5d6: [3, 6, 1, 4, 4] = 18 , Damage - MDC (3D6): 3d6: [1, 5, 2] = 8
Action 5: Strike: Rifle 1d20+9: [3]+9 = 12 , Damage - SDC (5D6): 5d6: [4, 6, 1, 5, 2] = 18 , Damage - MDC (3D6): 3d6: [6, 4, 1] = 11
Action 6: Strike: Rifle 1d20+9: [17]+9 = 26 , Damage - SDC (5D6): 5d6: [5, 3, 3, 1, 6] = 18 , Damage - MDC (3D6): 3d6: [4, 3, 3] = 10

Parries (+8 included): 1d20+8: [8]+8 = 16 , 1d20+8: [8]+8 = 16 , 1d20+8: [3]+8 = 11 , 1d20+8: [19]+8 = 27 , 1d20+8: [10]+8 = 18
Dodges (+9 included): 1d20+9: [15]+9 = 24 , 1d20+9: [6]+9 = 15 , 1d20+9: [13]+9 = 22 , 1d20+9: [11]+9 = 20 , 1d20+9: [8]+9 = 17
Rex:
Initiative
Initiative: 1d20: 1d20: [6] = 6

Actions performed not necessarily in this order

Action 1: Reserved for Dodge
Action 2: Strike: Head Lasers: 1d20+2: [19]+2 = 21 , Damage – MDC (4D4): 4d4: [4, 2, 2, 3] = 11
Action 3: Strike: Head Lasers: 1d20+2: [14]+2 = 16 , Damage – MDC (4D4): 4d4: [2, 3, 4, 3] = 12
Action 4: Strike: Head Lasers: 1d20+2: [16]+2 = 18 , Damage – MDC (4D4): 4d4: [2, 4, 2, 4] = 12
Action 5: Strike: Head Lasers: 1d20+2: [17]+2 = 19 , Damage – MDC (4D4): 4d4: [3, 4, 1, 1] = 9
Action 6: Strike: Head Lasers: 1d20+2: [19]+2 = 21 , Damage – MDC (4D4): 4d4: [3, 4, 1, 3] = 11

Parries/Dodges
Parries (+1 included): 1d20+1: [12]+1 = 13 , 1d20+1: [16]+1 = 17 , 1d20+1: [16]+1 = 17 , 1d20+1: [3]+1 = 4 , 1d20+1: [17]+1 = 18
Dodges (+4 included): 1d20+4: [11]+4 = 15 , 1d20+4: [10]+4 = 14 , 1d20+4: [11]+4 = 15 , 1d20+4: [2]+4 = 6 , 1d20+4: [14]+4 = 18

Nora:
Initiative
Initiative: 1d20: 1d20: [1] = 1

Actions performed not necessarily in this order

Action 1: Reserved for Dodge
Action 2: Strike: Head Lasers: 1d20+2: [8]+2 = 10 , Damage – MDC (4D4): 4d4: [2, 2, 4, 1] = 9
Action 3: Strike: Head Lasers: 1d20+2: [6]+2 = 8 , Damage – MDC (4D4): 4d4: [2, 2, 2, 2] = 8
Action 4: Strike: Head Lasers: 1d20+2: [12]+2 = 14 , Damage – MDC (4D4): 4d4: [3, 3, 2, 2] = 10
Action 5: Strike: Head Lasers: 1d20+2: [19]+2 = 21 , Damage – MDC (4D4): 4d4: [3, 1, 3, 2] = 9
Action 6: Strike: Head Lasers: 1d20+2: [12]+2 = 14 , Damage – MDC (4D4): 4d4: [4, 4, 4, 4] = 16

Parries/Dodges
Parries (+1 included): 1d20+1: [14]+1 = 15 , 1d20+1: [12]+1 = 13 , 1d20+1: [2]+1 = 3 , 1d20+1: [20]+1 = 21 , 1d20+1: [8]+1 = 9
Dodges (+4 included): 1d20+4: [7]+4 = 11 , 1d20+4: [2]+4 = 6 , 1d20+4: [15]+4 = 19 , 1d20+4: [18]+4 = 22 , 1d20+4: [5]+4 = 9
Liam Marconi
Posts: 109
Joined: Mon Dec 05, 2022 8:21 am

Re: Hold Back the Night. Chapter 4.

Post by Liam Marconi »

Perception (24% - Standard zone): 1d100: [99] = 99
JIC (d20/d%): 1d20: [16] = 16 / 1d100: [60] = 60

Marconi is handling the cold, even amplified as it is by the slipstream of the ATV, and he remains alert, which is why he notices when they, and several others of the convoy, turn toward a tunnel rather than following the main group. He thinks, Now that is odd, did we get new orders?

He uses the intercom, "Mr. Walkowski, we are straying from our original route. Have we received additional orders I was not informed of?"

He will overhear a similar question from Falcon, he was evidently not informed of any changes either.

Marconi checks the gun to make sure it is working, if something is wrong here he may well need it.
User avatar
Myth and Jest
Dimension Master
Posts: 106
Joined: Mon Nov 28, 2022 10:42 am
Location: Chaos Earth DM

Re: Hold Back the Night. Chapter 4.

Post by Myth and Jest »

10:05 - 29 December – Interstate Exit Tunnel

Convoy Command replies to Falcon’s message. “Affirmative 10 Alpha. Follow those trucks and figure out why they went off course. Bring them back. Additional security units will be directed to assist. Command out.”

STD 8 and 9, an ATV and a motorcycle, pull back from the convoy and accelerate after Falcon towards the tunnel entrance.
Falcon wrote:”Base 10, you just followed some trucks off the main route. You know something I don’t?”
Marconi wrote:"Mr. Walkowski, we are straying from our original route. Have we received additional orders I was not informed of?"
“What do you mean we’re off course? I’m following the damn trucks! What’s going on?” Walkowski replies.

STD 10’s ATV slams the acceleration once it enters the tunnel’s darkness and the force pushes Marconi against his seat. The supply trucks ahead have also fully accelerated and are speeding off into the distance.

Falcon, followed by STD 8 and 9, speeds into the tunnel, and complete darkness envelopes him. He notices the errant vehicles are too far ahead if they had kept a constant speed. They must have accelerated rapidly, unusual for any car on an unfamiliar route without exterior lighting.

Marconi checks the roof gun’s status and notices the lockout message on the gun’s control screen. The controls have been redirected to the interior gunner position.
Liam Marconi
Posts: 109
Joined: Mon Dec 05, 2022 8:21 am

Re: Hold Back the Night. Chapter 4.

Post by Liam Marconi »

Perception (24% - Standard Zone): 1d100: [61] = 61
JIC (d20/d%): 1d20: [18] = 18 / 1d100: [75] = 75

10:05 - 29 December – Interstate Exit Tunnel

Marconi is thrown back in his seat by the sudden acceleration, and grunts on the intercom, "Don't tell me you planned THAT."

He looks over the gun and sees it is being controlled from inside. He tries to remember what to do in the event that an enemy takes control of the vehicle and tries to use the weapon. There should be a way to override, or disengage the gun from the vehicular control, if he can just recall how to do it.

Computer Operations (84%): 1d100: [96] = 96 (Override program)
Weapon Systems (40%): 1d100: [57] = 57 (Manually disengage)
OOC Comments
Hopefully one of these works.
Marconi calls over the radio, not sure if anyone can hear, "Attention, it appears our vehicles have been hacked with remote override commands. Possibly from an AI that has gone rogue in the confusion."


Radio, Basic (65%): 1d100: [56] = 56
User avatar
Falcon
Posts: 90
Joined: Thu Dec 29, 2022 1:13 pm

Re: Hold Back the Night. Chapter 4.

Post by Falcon »

OOC Comments
Perception: 18% / 1d100: [14] = 14
JIC: 1d20: [1] = 1 / 1d100: [100] = 100
+2 v HF, +2 v Lethal/Non-lethal Toxins, +6% vs Coma/Death, +2 vs Magic, +2 vs Insanity, +2 vs Psionics
M&J wrote: Falcon, followed by STD 8 and 9, speeds into the tunnel, and complete darkness envelopes him. He notices the errant vehicles are too far ahead if they had kept a constant speed. They must have accelerated rapidly, unusual for any car on an unfamiliar route without exterior lighting.
Falcon looks to STD 8 and STD 9 glad for the back-up. Unless they are evil cult members or spider controlled zombies. I hate this world right now.

”STD 8 (ATV) you have rear guard. Stay about 100M from the tail of the convoy and don’t let anything sneak up on us. STD 9(Motorcycle), you are with me. Let’s try to get to the head of this group and stop the front truck.”

Just before zooming off to catch up he opens his personal channel to Marconi, Rex, and Nora. ”Marconi, I am right behind you with back-up security. You will see me and another motorcycle coming up on your 6 to pass you. Rex is with me. Nora, get to Marconi and back him up.” Falcon takes a second to consider his next words. ”Be on guard. Right now the group I trust is this team. I know LeBlanc is your friend, but be careful and know Nora has your back."

With that last, Falcon signals Rex to take his left side and the cycle to take the far right of the tunnel as Nora races ahead to get with Marconi.



OOC Comments
In case of violence: Initiative +4 (+5 w/rifles)
Initiative: 1d20+5: 1d20+5: [4]+5 = 9

Actions performed not necessarily in this order

Action 1: Reserved for Dodge/vehicle maneuver
Action 2: Reserved for Dodge/vehicle maneuver
Action 3: Strike: Vehicle 1d20: [13] = 13 , Damage - MDC (2D6): 2d6: [2, 1] = 3
Action 4: Strike: Vehicle 1d20: [19] = 19 , Damage - MDC (2D6): 2d6: [5, 4] = 9
Action 5: Strike: Vehicle 1d20: [15] = 15 , Damage - MDC (2D6): 2d6: [2, 5] = 7
Action 6: Strike: Vehicle 1d20: [3] = 3 , Damage - MDC (2D6): 2d6: [6, 5] = 11

Parries (+8 included): 1d20+8: [5]+8 = 13 , 1d20+8: [15]+8 = 23 , 1d20+8: [12]+8 = 20 , 1d20+8: [10]+8 = 18 , 1d20+8: [14]+8 = 22
Dodges (+9 included): 1d20+9: [6]+9 = 15 , 1d20+9: [14]+9 = 23 , 1d20+9: [6]+9 = 15 , 1d20+9: [18]+9 = 27 , 1d20+9: [20]+9 = 29
Rex:
Initiative
Initiative: 1d20: 1d20: [3] = 3

Actions performed not necessarily in this order

Action 1: Reserved for Dodge
Action 2: Strike: Head Lasers: 1d20+2: [5]+2 = 7 , Damage – MDC (4D4): 4d4: [2, 4, 1, 3] = 10
Action 3: Strike: Head Lasers: 1d20+2: [7]+2 = 9 , Damage – MDC (4D4): 4d4: [4, 4, 2, 1] = 11
Action 4: Strike: Head Lasers: 1d20+2: [7]+2 = 9 , Damage – MDC (4D4): 4d4: [2, 1, 1, 1] = 5
Action 5: Strike: Head Lasers: 1d20+2: [9]+2 = 11 , Damage – MDC (4D4): 4d4: [3, 2, 1, 2] = 8
Action 6: Strike: Head Lasers: 1d20+2: [20]+2 = 22 , Damage – MDC (4D4): 4d4: [3, 3, 4, 3] = 13

Parries/Dodges
Parries (+1 included): 1d20+1: [19]+1 = 20 , 1d20+1: [6]+1 = 7 , 1d20+1: [2]+1 = 3 , 1d20+1: [6]+1 = 7 , 1d20+1: [17]+1 = 18
Dodges (+4 included): 1d20+4: [13]+4 = 17 , 1d20+4: [3]+4 = 7 , 1d20+4: [9]+4 = 13 , 1d20+4: [11]+4 = 15 , 1d20+4: [10]+4 = 14

Nora:
Initiative
Initiative: 1d20: 1d20: [5] = 5

Actions performed not necessarily in this order

Action 1: Reserved for Dodge
Action 2: Strike: Head Lasers: 1d20+2: [12]+2 = 14 , Damage – MDC (4D4): 4d4: [1, 1, 2, 3] = 7
Action 3: Strike: Head Lasers: 1d20+2: [2]+2 = 4 , Damage – MDC (4D4): 4d4: [2, 1, 4, 2] = 9
Action 4: Strike: Head Lasers: 1d20+2: [3]+2 = 5 , Damage – MDC (4D4): 4d4: [1, 1, 1, 1] = 4
Action 5: Strike: Head Lasers: 1d20+2: [7]+2 = 9 , Damage – MDC (4D4): 4d4: [2, 1, 1, 2] = 6
Action 6: Strike: Head Lasers: 1d20+2: [3]+2 = 5 , Damage – MDC (4D4): 4d4: [3, 3, 4, 1] = 11

Parries/Dodges
Parries (+1 included): 1d20+1: [4]+1 = 5 , 1d20+1: [11]+1 = 12 , 1d20+1: [4]+1 = 5 , 1d20+1: [16]+1 = 17 , 1d20+1: [20]+1 = 21
Dodges (+4 included): 1d20+4: [8]+4 = 12 , 1d20+4: [15]+4 = 19 , 1d20+4: [13]+4 = 17 , 1d20+4: [11]+4 = 15 , 1d20+4: [4]+4 = 8
User avatar
Myth and Jest
Dimension Master
Posts: 106
Joined: Mon Nov 28, 2022 10:42 am
Location: Chaos Earth DM

Re: Hold Back the Night. Chapter 4.

Post by Myth and Jest »

10:10 - 29 December – Interstate Tunnel

Security Team Details Eight and Nine radio back affirming Falcon’s orders. Falcon and Nine accelerate after the trucks, followed by Eight covering the rear.
Marconi wrote:"Don't tell me you planned THAT."
Neither Walkowski nor LeBlanc reply to Maconi’s dismay. Marconi radios his warning to the security teams following and then attempts to regain control of the roof gun. All of his attempts fail.

Falcon radios Marconi of his approach with STD 9. The two motorcycles quickly chew the distance, closing on STD 10’s ATV. Just as they are about to reach the ATV’s fender, brilliant flashes of light erupt behind them in a sequence of explosions. Supporting pillars shatter, and the tunnel’s roof collapses on top of STD 8’s ATV, burying it beneath tons of rubble and earth.

The pressure wave slams into the motorcycles as Falcon and Nine overtake ATV 10 on both sides of the vehicle. With Marconi on top, the ATV swerves into Falcon, pinning his bike between the body of the ATV and the side of the tunnel. Sparks from the grinding bodies shower over Falcon as he attempts to steady the bike and avoid the monstrous wheels spinning directly ahead and behind his motorcycle. Any slip could send him beneath the crushing wheels.

Nine flashes by STD 10 and rockets from the tunnel as it attempts to overtake the supply trucks, now safely outside the tunnel.

The robot dog Nora keeps pace with ATV 10 and Rex runs just ahead of the vehicle.

Marconi sees Nine’s motorcycle slip past and out of the tunnel as chunks of concrete and steel rain down around him and the ATV. His safety harness kept him from being thrown by the explosive pressure wave and the ensuing vehicle maneuvers.
OOC Comments
Marconi is not within range of a Ley Line. The ATV is almost out of the tunnel. Only a second will tell if it's buried! Hold your breath for the drama!
User avatar
Falcon
Posts: 90
Joined: Thu Dec 29, 2022 1:13 pm

Re: Hold Back the Night. Chapter 4.

Post by Falcon »

OOC Comments
Perception: 18% / [roll]1d100[/roll]
JIC: [roll]1d20[/roll] / [roll]1d100[/roll]
+2 v HF, +2 v Lethal/Non-lethal Toxins, +6% vs Coma/Death, +2 vs Magic, +2 vs Insanity, +2 vs Psionics
Pilot-Motorcycle (73%): [roll]1d100[/roll]
M&J wrote: Supporting pillars shatter, and the tunnel’s roof collapses on top of STD 8’s ATV, burying it beneath tons of rubble and earth.

The pressure wave slams into the motorcycles as Falcon and Nine overtake ATV 10 on both sides of the vehicle. With Marconi on top, the ATV swerves into Falcon, pinning his bike between the body of the ATV and the side of the tunnel. Sparks from the grinding bodies shower over Falcon as he attempts to steady the bike and avoid the monstrous wheels spinning directly ahead and behind his motorcycle. Any slip could send him beneath the crushing wheels.
Falcon fights the handlebars to keep from slipping under the ATV. This is what I get for trying to save people. So much easier just to kill them.

Pinned in this position and unable to do much, Falcon focuses on not getting killed.


OOC Comments
In case of violence: Initiative +4 (+5 w/rifles)
Initiative: 1d20+5: [roll]1d20+5[/roll]

Actions performed not necessarily in this order

Action 1: Reserved for Dodge/vehicle maneuver
Action 2: Reserved for Dodge/vehicle maneuver
Action 3: Strike: Motorcycle Laser [roll]1d20[/roll], Damage - MDC (2D6): [roll]2d6[/roll]
Action 3: Strike: Motorcycle Laser [roll]1d20[/roll], Damage - MDC (2D6): [roll]2d6[/roll]
Action 3: Strike: Motorcycle Laser [roll]1d20[/roll], Damage - MDC (2D6): [roll]2d6[/roll]
Action 3: Strike: Motorcycle Laser [roll]1d20[/roll], Damage - MDC (2D6): [roll]2d6[/roll]

Parries (+8 included): [roll]1d20+8[/roll], [roll]1d20+8[/roll], [roll]1d20+8[/roll], [roll]1d20+8[/roll], [roll]1d20+8[/roll]
Dodges (+9 included): [roll]1d20+9[/roll], [roll]1d20+9[/roll], [roll]1d20+9[/roll], [roll]1d20+9[/roll], [roll]1d20+9[/roll]
Rex:
Initiative
Initiative: 1d20: [roll]1d20[/roll]

Actions performed not necessarily in this order

Action 1: Reserved for Dodge
Action 2: Strike: Head Lasers: [roll]1d20+2[/roll], Damage – MDC (4D4): [roll]4d4[/roll]
Action 3: Strike: Head Lasers: [roll]1d20+2[/roll], Damage – MDC (4D4): [roll]4d4[/roll]
Action 4: Strike: Head Lasers: [roll]1d20+2[/roll], Damage – MDC (4D4): [roll]4d4[/roll]
Action 5: Strike: Head Lasers: [roll]1d20+2[/roll], Damage – MDC (4D4): [roll]4d4[/roll]
Action 6: Strike: Head Lasers: [roll]1d20+2[/roll], Damage – MDC (4D4): [roll]4d4[/roll]

Parries/Dodges
Parries (+1 included): [roll]1d20+1[/roll], [roll]1d20+1[/roll], [roll]1d20+1[/roll], [roll]1d20+1[/roll], [roll]1d20+1[/roll]
Dodges (+4 included): [roll]1d20+4[/roll], [roll]1d20+4[/roll], [roll]1d20+4[/roll], [roll]1d20+4[/roll], [roll]1d20+4[/roll]

Nora:
Initiative
Initiative: 1d20: [roll]1d20[/roll]

Actions performed not necessarily in this order

Action 1: Reserved for Dodge
Action 2: Strike: Head Lasers: [roll]1d20+2[/roll], Damage – MDC (4D4): [roll]4d4[/roll]
Action 3: Strike: Head Lasers: [roll]1d20+2[/roll], Damage – MDC (4D4): [roll]4d4[/roll]
Action 4: Strike: Head Lasers: [roll]1d20+2[/roll], Damage – MDC (4D4): [roll]4d4[/roll]
Action 5: Strike: Head Lasers: [roll]1d20+2[/roll], Damage – MDC (4D4): [roll]4d4[/roll]
Action 6: Strike: Head Lasers: [roll]1d20+2[/roll], Damage – MDC (4D4): [roll]4d4[/roll]

Parries/Dodges
Parries (+1 included): [roll]1d20+1[/roll], [roll]1d20+1[/roll], [roll]1d20+1[/roll], [roll]1d20+1[/roll], [roll]1d20+1[/roll]
Dodges (+4 included): [roll]1d20+4[/roll], [roll]1d20+4[/roll], [roll]1d20+4[/roll], [roll]1d20+4[/roll], [roll]1d20+4[/roll]
Liam Marconi
Posts: 109
Joined: Mon Dec 05, 2022 8:21 am

Re: Hold Back the Night. Chapter 4.

Post by Liam Marconi »

Perception (Standard Zone 24%): 1d100: [46] = 46
JIC (d20/d%): 1d20: [8] = 8 / 1d100: [88] = 88

Marconi curses at being unable to override the lockout.

He thinks, OK, so what can I do here? Jumping off while moving at this high a speed is not bright. I am not enough of an acrobat to try to climb inside while moving, or to try to climb down and attack the wheels with a knife. What does that leave? I can only think of one possibility, this cannon has to have a direct line to the generator, if I cut some of the wires and cross them, the feedback might blow the electric grid. Just hope I don't kill us all in the process.

He pulls out his vibroknife and sets to work prying open the access panel.

Automobile (78%): 1d100: [52] = 52
Weapon Systems (40%): 1d100: [43] = 43
User avatar
Myth and Jest
Dimension Master
Posts: 106
Joined: Mon Nov 28, 2022 10:42 am
Location: Chaos Earth DM

Re: Hold Back the Night. Chapter 4.

Post by Myth and Jest »

10:15 - 29 December – Ruined Interstate

Falcon barely controls his motorcycle as the vehicle blasts from the tunnel exit and escapes from between the ATV’s wheels. A giant cloud of dust and debris scatter shots from the tunnel, engulfing the vehicles, and chunks ping off the vehicles’ armor plating. The destruction dissipates as the fleeing trucks speed down the road.

Marconi tears open the power access panel but can’t determine which wires feed back to the ATV’s power systems. As he puzzles through the cables, the gun swivels to the 2 o’clock position and lines its barrel at STD 9’s motorcycle. The gun’s control screen shows the targeting reticle light with a locked target. The cannon fires a triple pulse of lasers and slams into the NEMA security vehicle. Nine swerves from the explosive impact, his rear wheel slips, and the bike falls, sliding onto its side. The pilot manages to regain traction with its rear wheel, and the momentum kicks the bike back up, barely losing speed. The charred chassis pokes out from the missing rear armor, and the back tire wobbles because of misalignment. Another shot like that would blast the bike into useless wreckage. Nine screams over the radio. “What the fuck was that STD 10? Check your fire!”

Another armed motorcycle emerges behind a mound of ruined cars and peels after the convoy. The bike lines up a shot at Falcon’s rear and fires a blast with its forward laser turret.

From beyond the supply trucks up ahead, a hovercycle rises from the street and soars over the column of vehicles as the trucks pass underneath.

********************************

Federal Agent Benjamin Shepard runs in terror through the ruined city. The bodies of the dead litter the dark and cold street and cling to his every step. It’s as if the dead are trying to take him down and pull him into their embrace. Dead eyes peer up at him. Blue lips and broken teeth smile up at him as he runs, his lungs burning from exertion and burning ash. Something lumbers after him, crushing bones and shaking the street. It is close, and he tries to step through the bodies, but a limb snatches his foot. He tumbles down on top of the corpse, peering over his shoulder as he falls. A volcanic cloud billows and swirls with darkness as two blood-red eyes bear into his soul. “I can see you.” The grave voice whispers in his mind.

Shepard jerks up from the nightmare, clutching at the blade hidden in his jacket, as the bed of the truck jolts. The dim lighting from the cab’s window allows enough lighting to give him a view of his surroundings. Several days had passed since he was found by the NEMA convoy, wandering mindlessly through the cold, ruined world. At the time, he was incoherent from exhaustion, hypothermia, and dehydration. The medics said he was screaming about demons or hell on earth, but he can’t remember those missing days. Whatever he said seemed to alienate him from the other refugees. Eyes constantly staring at him as if he were dangerous, a murderer, or worse. By the last few days of the trip, he had been sneaking into supply trucks for the long, slow hours to Chicago in solitude.

The truck rocks again as a voice calls over the radio, screaming about checking the fire. Ben looks into the truck cab and sees a NEMA soldier in the passenger seat reach for the radio mic. The driver, wearing a mix of military and civilian garb, pulls an energy pistol, points at the soldier’s head, and fires at point blank. “Fuck you, NEMA.” The driver says as the soldier’s head explodes, and a chunk of gore splatters across Ben’s cheek. The driver instinctively looks into the rear-view mirror and locks eyes with Ben. “What the fuck?!” he says in confusion and twists his pistol back towards Ben as he attempts to line a shot and keep the truck steady.
User avatar
Benjamin Shepard
Posts: 19
Joined: Mon Apr 29, 2024 8:12 am

Re: Hold Back the Night. Chapter 4.

Post by Benjamin Shepard »

Perception: 15% / 1d100: [5] = 5
JIC: 1d20: 1d20: [4] = 4
JIC: 1d100: 1d100: [5] = 5

"Son of a BITCH!" Ben shouts as blood and gore splatter his face. His eyes go wide as the drive swings his firearm around to aim into the bed of the truck. "O-oh shi-!!!" Is all he manages to sputter out as he throws himself to the floor to try and avoid the same fate as his fellow passenger.

What the hell was he going to do? I'm gonna die. I'm gonna die. I'm gonna die. No! Screw that! I'm not about to get killed by some asshole!

Shepard draws the ceremonial blade. It's sickly shape was almost enough to make him gag though he wasn't exactly sure why. He shakes the thought off and narrows his eyes. His law enforcement training kicks in as he jumps up and tries to wrestle the gun from the driver's hand, also aiming to jam the knife into the man's arm for good measure.
Combat actions
Init: 1d20: [12] = 12

Action 1: Dodge: 1d20+1: [18]+1 = 19
Action 2: He draws the ceremonial blade.
Action 3: Ben jumps up and attempts to grapple with the driver and wrestle the gun from his hand. Strike: Grapple: 1d20+1: [9]+1 = 10
Action 4: Slash with Ceremonial knife: 1d20: [18] = 18 ; Damage: 1d6: [1] = 1 SDC
Liam Marconi
Posts: 109
Joined: Mon Dec 05, 2022 8:21 am

Re: Hold Back the Night. Chapter 4.

Post by Liam Marconi »

Perception (Standard zone: 24%): 1d100: [38] = 38
JIC (d20/d%): 1d20: [5] = 5 / 1d100: [12] = 12
Myth and Jest wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 5:35 pm 10:15 - 29 December – Ruined Interstate

Marconi tears open the power access panel but can’t determine which wires feed back to the ATV’s power systems. As he puzzles through the cables, the gun swivels to the 2 o’clock position and lines its barrel at STD 9’s motorcycle. The gun’s control screen shows the targeting reticle light with a locked target. The cannon fires a triple pulse of lasers and slams into the NEMA security vehicle. Nine swerves from the explosive impact, his rear wheel slips, and the bike falls, sliding onto its side. The pilot manages to regain traction with its rear wheel, and the momentum kicks the bike back up, barely losing speed. The charred chassis pokes out from the missing rear armor, and the back tire wobbles because of misalignment. Another shot like that would blast the bike into useless wreckage. Nine screams over the radio. “What the fuck was that STD 10? Check your fire!”
Marconi yells back over the radio, "I warned you earlier, something else is controlling this vehicle and it's weapons."

He thinks, Blast it, I am not electrician. I will just have to cut ALL the wires and disable this cannon, then figure out some way to stop the vehicle.

Generally speaking, only the outside of things is armored, so he should be able to run his vibroblade through the inside via the access panel and turn it into electronic spaghetti.

IF that works, he will try to think of a way to shut down the ATV.

No idea what to roll if needed to disable the gun.
To hit something vital 1d20: [15] = 15
Vibro Knife MD: 1d6: [2] = 2
not sure what for: 1d100: [85] = 85

If he succeeds, he will attempt to climb around and open one of the doors to get inside.
Climbing (60%): 1d100: [48] = 48
User avatar
Falcon
Posts: 90
Joined: Thu Dec 29, 2022 1:13 pm

Re: Hold Back the Night. Chapter 4.

Post by Falcon »

OOC Comments
Perception: 18% / 1d100: [91] = 91
JIC: 1d20: [4] = 4 / 1d100: [97] = 97
+2 v HF, +2 v Lethal/Non-lethal Toxins, +6% vs Coma/Death, +2 vs Magic, +2 vs Insanity, +2 vs Psionics
Pilot-Motorcycle (73%): 1d100: [76] = 76
M&J wrote: The gun’s control screen shows the targeting reticle light with a locked target. The cannon fires a triple pulse of lasers and slams into the NEMA security vehicle. Nine swerves from the explosive impact, his rear wheel slips, and the bike falls, sliding onto its side. The pilot manages to regain traction with its rear wheel, and the momentum kicks the bike back up, barely losing speed. The charred chassis pokes out from the missing rear armor, and the back tire wobbles because of misalignment. Another shot like that would blast the bike into useless wreckage. Nine screams over the radio. “What the fuck was that STD 10? Check your fire!”
Falcon’s bike shivers a bit as he breaks free amidst all the destruction. Seeing Marconi’s weapon fire, quickly followed by STD 9’s voice, he knows something major is up. ”STD 9, get to the front. See if you can slow the convoy. We will do our best back here.”
M&J wrote:Another armed motorcycle emerges behind a mound of ruined cars and peels after the convoy. The bike lines up a shot at Falcon’s rear and fires a blast with its forward laser turret.

From beyond the supply trucks up ahead, a hovercycle rises from the street and soars over the column of vehicles as the trucks pass underneath.
Falcon swerves to avoid the weapon fire.
Pilot Skill
Pilot-Motorcycle (73%): 1d100: [42] = 42
Seeing two new enemies he changes tactics. ”Rex, see if you can ground the hovercycle.”

He then lowers his head and guns the engine towards the new cycle. At this speed this should be interesting. Just before ramming the interloper he brings his own bike along it’s right side. His claws out, he leans low to target the bike’s tires and the pilot’s legs.




OOC Comments
In case of violence: Initiative +4 (+5 w/rifles)
Initiative: 1d20+4: 1d20+4: [13]+4 = 17

Actions performed not necessarily in this order (6 acions +1 with Rifle)

Action 1: Reserved for Dodge/vehicle maneuver
Action 2: Reserved for Dodge/vehicle maneuver
Action 3: Strike: Vibro-Claws 1d20+6: [5]+6 = 11 , Damage - MDC (2D4): 2d4: [3, 3] = 6
Action 4: Strike: Vibro-Claws 1d20+6: [15]+6 = 21 , Damage - MDC (2D4): 2d4: [3, 1] = 4
Action 5: Strike: Vibro-Claws 1d20+6: [20]+6 = 26 , Damage - MDC (2D4): 2d4: [3, 4] = 7
Action 6: Strike: Vibro-Claws 1d20+6: [3]+6 = 9 , Damage - MDC (2D4): 2d4: [4, 3] = 7

Parries (+8 included): 1d20+8: [19]+8 = 27 , 1d20+8: [11]+8 = 19 , 1d20+8: [13]+8 = 21 , 1d20+8: [7]+8 = 15 , 1d20+8: [1]+8 = 9
Dodges (+9 included): 1d20+9: [18]+9 = 27 , 1d20+9: [14]+9 = 23 , 1d20+9: [5]+9 = 14 , 1d20+9: [4]+9 = 13 , 1d20+9: [17]+9 = 26
Hounds
Rex:
Initiative
Initiative: 1d20: 1d20: [3] = 3

Actions performed not necessarily in this order

Action 1: Reserved for Dodge
Action 2: Strike: Head Lasers: 1d20+2: [1]+2 = 3 , Damage – MDC (4D4): 4d4: [1, 4, 4, 1] = 10
Action 3: Strike: Head Lasers: 1d20+2: [12]+2 = 14 , Damage – MDC (4D4): 4d4: [4, 3, 1, 1] = 9
Action 4: Strike: Head Lasers: 1d20+2: [2]+2 = 4 , Damage – MDC (4D4): 4d4: [4, 2, 3, 2] = 11
Action 5: Strike: Head Lasers: 1d20+2: [14]+2 = 16 , Damage – MDC (4D4): 4d4: [3, 3, 1, 2] = 9
Action 6: Strike: Head Lasers: 1d20+2: [9]+2 = 11 , Damage – MDC (4D4): 4d4: [3, 1, 3, 2] = 9

Parries/Dodges
Parries (+1 included): 1d20+1: [8]+1 = 9 , 1d20+1: [19]+1 = 20 , 1d20+1: [20]+1 = 21 , 1d20+1: [14]+1 = 15 , 1d20+1: [3]+1 = 4
Dodges (+4 included): 1d20+4: [15]+4 = 19 , 1d20+4: [16]+4 = 20 , 1d20+4: [10]+4 = 14 , 1d20+4: [1]+4 = 5 , 1d20+4: [7]+4 = 11

Nora:
Initiative
Initiative: 1d20: 1d20: [12] = 12

Actions performed not necessarily in this order

Action 1: Reserved for Dodge
Action 2: Strike: Head Lasers: 1d20+2: [16]+2 = 18 , Damage – MDC (4D4): 4d4: [3, 3, 4, 2] = 12
Action 3: Strike: Head Lasers: 1d20+2: [20]+2 = 22 , Damage – MDC (4D4): 4d4: [4, 2, 1, 1] = 8
Action 4: Strike: Head Lasers: 1d20+2: [17]+2 = 19 , Damage – MDC (4D4): 4d4: [3, 1, 4, 2] = 10
Action 5: Strike: Head Lasers: 1d20+2: [20]+2 = 22 , Damage – MDC (4D4): 4d4: [3, 4, 4, 3] = 14
Action 6: Strike: Head Lasers: 1d20+2: [19]+2 = 21 , Damage – MDC (4D4): 4d4: [4, 4, 3, 4] = 15

Parries/Dodges
Parries (+1 included): 1d20+1: [6]+1 = 7 , 1d20+1: [20]+1 = 21 , 1d20+1: [6]+1 = 7 , 1d20+1: [4]+1 = 5 , 1d20+1: [9]+1 = 10
Dodges (+4 included): 1d20+4: [13]+4 = 17 , 1d20+4: [5]+4 = 9 , 1d20+4: [17]+4 = 21 , 1d20+4: [8]+4 = 12 , 1d20+4: [17]+4 = 21
User avatar
Myth and Jest
Dimension Master
Posts: 106
Joined: Mon Nov 28, 2022 10:42 am
Location: Chaos Earth DM

Re: Hold Back the Night. Chapter 4.

Post by Myth and Jest »

10:17 - 29 December – Ruined Interstate

Ben Shepard dodges beneath the awkwardly aimed laser beam that burns a slash through the roof. The truck jolts as it plows through the wreckage of abandoned cars, and the driver focuses on Ben instead of operating the vehicle. Ben draws a knife from his jacket, grabs the man’s arm with the pistol, and slashes. To the surprise of both men, the blade cuts the arm off below the elbow with a spay of arterial blood.

Marconi slices his vibro-knife through the wiring in the access panel, and the gun screen darkens as the barrel drops dead. An uncomfortable shock runs up his arm but doesn’t cause any damage.

Laser fire slams into the rear of Falcon’s motorcycle, tearing apart armor and leaving burning gashes (-10 MD). The following motorcycle fires again but misses as Falcon dodges and turns his bike around to charge at the enemy. Blasts shower sporadically around him as he lines up for an almost head-on collision.

The enemy hovercycle fires a laser blast, hitting STD 9’s bike. Somehow, Nine manages to control the wrecked vehicle and pushes the acceleration, attempting to get in front of the convoy.

Rex, the combat drone hound, fires twin laser bursts from its head lasers and burns gouges along the craft’s ventral armor, but the pilot ignores the damage and focuses on Nine.

Outside the windshield, Ben watches as the truck pulls to the left from the driver’s slumping body and impacts with the roadside barriers. The speed of the truck deflects it off the barrier and through two burned-out wrecked cars.

The gusting wind grabs at Marconi as he slides from the ruined gun to the driver’s side of the ATV. Each shake or bump of the ATV threatens to push him off the speeding vehicle.

As Falcon levels his bike for the attack like a charging knight on horseback, the approaching motorcycle takes careful aim and hits the laser’s trigger. A beam of energy tears through Falcon’s front tire (-14 MD to Tire), disintegrating the wheel in an explosion of debris. His front end catches the ground, flips the bike, flings Falcon away, and tumbles several times before flying off the interstate.

Irritated with Nine’s survival after two direct laster blasts, the pilot of the hovercycle launches two mini-missiles at Nine’s escaping motorcycle. Twin explosions impact the bike, destroying it and fling Nine head over heels, smashing into a mound of rubble.

Rex continues chasing and firing at the evading hovercycle.

Marconi slips down to the driver’s door, bracing against the runner board and the rail. Falling ash and snow whips by, and the wind threatens to grab him from the precarious hold.

With most of its momentum taken by the collision with the barrier and wrecked cars, the supply truck crashes into the rear of a tipped-over trailer and stops, leaving Ben in a crumbled state against the back of the cab (-16 SD).

Falcon tumbles through the air before gravity slams him to the ground near the crashed supply truck, surprisingly, with only a few bruises (-7 SD). The motorcade speeds away with the combat hounds in pursuit.

The enemy motorcycle chases after Nora, twists the throttle to full speed as Nora attempts to dodge, and slams into the drone hound (-14 MD). Nora loses her footing and stumbles but regains control and fires multiple twin blasts into the cycle’s armor, decimating the bike’s protective shielding.

Marconi looks through the ATV’s window and sees Walkowski gripping the steering wheel and LeBlanc grabbing the radio’s mic. He tries to open the door, but it’s locked.

LeBlanc calls over the radio. “STD10 to Command. Emergency override to combat drones requested. Our assigned CD Hounds are firing on NEMA personnel and vehicles. They have killed their handler, Falcon Macher! Request immediate self-destruct activation!”

A searing pain burns Ben’s hand from the knife’s handle, constructed of some creature’s antler or horn. As the pain slowly fades, he looks up and meets the glossy eyes of the driver, now dead from a broken neck, with the head twisted almost entirely around, staring at him.
Liam Marconi
Posts: 109
Joined: Mon Dec 05, 2022 8:21 am

Re: Hold Back the Night. Chapter 4.

Post by Liam Marconi »

Perception (24% - normal Zone): 1d100: [25] = 25
JIC (d20/d%): 1d20: [20] = 20 / 1d100: [91] = 91

Liam thinks, Well, at least I disabled the cannon so they can not shoot with it.

He observes that no one has replied to his radio transmissions, "This is Private Marconi, can anyone here me or is my transmitter busted?"
LeBlanc calls over the radio. “STD10 to Command. Emergency override to combat drones requested. Our assigned CD Hounds are firing on NEMA personnel and vehicles. They have killed their handler, Falcon Macher! Request immediate self-destruct activation!”
Not getting a reply, he will assume his transmitter is bad or jammed, and have to think what else to do.

He will think, The dogs will either turn back to help Falcon, or be disabled by the following vehicle in short order. Once they are no longer viable targets, the follower will target me. This situation is crazy. I suppose that means it calls for a crazy response. If I jump off, I will probably survive, but be bruised or worse UNLESS I land on something moving nearly the same speed. However...if I land on something moving about the same speed, I am less likely to be hurt. Let's try playing movie hero and jumping for that motorcycle. At the worst, I am no worse off than if I just jumped off the vehicle...and I likely am no longer a target.

He sheathes his vibroknife and prepares for his crazy act...

To-hit roll to reach the cycle: 1d20: [16] = 16
"Acrobatic" roll (not like he has that) 1d100: [90] = 90
Last edited by Liam Marconi on Mon May 06, 2024 9:44 am, edited 2 times in total.
User avatar
Falcon
Posts: 90
Joined: Thu Dec 29, 2022 1:13 pm

Re: Hold Back the Night. Chapter 4.

Post by Falcon »

OOC Comments
Perception: 18% / 1d100: [35] = 35
JIC: 1d20: [1] = 1 / 1d100: [80] = 80
+2 v HF, +2 v Lethal/Non-lethal Toxins, +6% vs Coma/Death, +2 vs Magic, +2 vs Insanity, +2 vs Psionics
Current Condition
-7 SDC, SDC Remaining = 49
M&J wrote: Falcon tumbles through the air before gravity slams him to the ground near the crashed supply truck, surprisingly, with only a few bruises (-7 SD). The motorcade speeds away with the combat hounds in pursuit….

LeBlanc calls over the radio. “STD10 to Command. Emergency override to combat drones requested. Our assigned CD Hounds are firing on NEMA personnel and vehicles. They have killed their handler, Falcon Macher! Request immediate self-destruct activation!”
Marconi wrote: if he gets a reply to his statement, he will inform whoever he is talking to, "The previous report is in error, other personnel began firing and disabled Falcon, the drones began responding to those attacks on orders from Falcon before he was disabled."
The fear from LeBlanc’s statement cuts through the pain. ”Command, ignore STD 10’s order.” Falcon then rushes through a jumble of identification codes. ”I have control of drones. Marconi is secondary command and still functional.” I swear. They take my hounds and I am not going back.

Love for my Emotional Support Hounds (98%): 1d100: [56] = 56
Radio: Basic (75%): 1d100: [62] = 62

Knowing his best option is to get moving again, Falcon looks at the destruction around him. Spotting the, questionably, functional supply truck, he heads to his bike to remove the saddlebags. On the way he sheathes his claws and swings his rifle around to the ready. Should have stuck with this in the first place. A quick glance shows that all is in order, so he releases his remaining Flying Drone to track Marconi and heads towards the crashed truck.


OOC Comments
In case of violence: Initiative +4 (+5 w/rifles)
Initiative: 1d20+5: 1d20+5: [19]+5 = 24

Actions performed not necessarily in this order (6 acions +1 with Rifle)

Action 1: Reserved for Dodge/vehicle maneuver
Action 2: Reserved for Dodge/vehicle maneuver
Action 3: Strike: Rifle 1d20+9: [14]+9 = 23 , Damage - SDC (5D6): 5d6: [5, 5, 2, 3, 4] = 19 , Damage - MDC (3D6): 3d6: [4, 1, 5] = 10
Action 4: Strike: Rifle 1d20+9: [12]+9 = 21 , Damage - SDC (5D6): 5d6: [4, 5, 4, 4, 3] = 20 , Damage - MDC (3D6): 3d6: [2, 2, 5] = 9
Action 5: Strike: Rifle 1d20+9: [12]+9 = 21 , Damage - SDC (5D6): 5d6: [1, 1, 1, 5, 6] = 14 , Damage - MDC (3D6): 3d6: [5, 2, 6] = 13
Action 6: Strike: Rifle 1d20+9: [16]+9 = 25 , Damage - SDC (5D6): 5d6: [1, 6, 3, 1, 3] = 14 , Damage - MDC (3D6): 3d6: [6, 2, 5] = 13
Action 7: Strike: Rifle 1d20+9: [3]+9 = 12 , Damage - SDC (5D6): 5d6: [2, 4, 3, 3, 2] = 14 , Damage - MDC (3D6): 3d6: [5, 3, 4] = 12

Parries (+8 included): 1d20+8: [6]+8 = 14 , 1d20+8: [12]+8 = 20 , 1d20+8: [10]+8 = 18 , 1d20+8: [8]+8 = 16 , 1d20+8: [4]+8 = 12
Dodges (+9 included): 1d20+9: [9]+9 = 18 , 1d20+9: [5]+9 = 14 , 1d20+9: [14]+9 = 23 , 1d20+9: [10]+9 = 19 , 1d20+9: [14]+9 = 23
Hounds
Rex:
Initiative
Initiative: 1d20: 1d20: [6] = 6

Actions performed not necessarily in this order

Action 1: Reserved for Dodge
Action 2: Strike: Head Lasers: 1d20+2: [1]+2 = 3 , Damage – MDC (4D4): 4d4: [3, 4, 1, 1] = 9
Action 3: Strike: Head Lasers: 1d20+2: [1]+2 = 3 , Damage – MDC (4D4): 4d4: [3, 4, 1, 4] = 12
Action 4: Strike: Head Lasers: 1d20+2: [19]+2 = 21 , Damage – MDC (4D4): 4d4: [2, 3, 2, 3] = 10
Action 5: Strike: Head Lasers: 1d20+2: [4]+2 = 6 , Damage – MDC (4D4): 4d4: [4, 2, 1, 4] = 11
Action 6: Strike: Head Lasers: 1d20+2: [11]+2 = 13 , Damage – MDC (4D4): 4d4: [4, 2, 2, 2] = 10

Parries/Dodges
Parries (+1 included): 1d20+1: [11]+1 = 12 , 1d20+1: [2]+1 = 3 , 1d20+1: [11]+1 = 12 , 1d20+1: [6]+1 = 7 , 1d20+1: [1]+1 = 2
Dodges (+4 included): 1d20+4: [15]+4 = 19 , 1d20+4: [6]+4 = 10 , 1d20+4: [15]+4 = 19 , 1d20+4: [15]+4 = 19 , 1d20+4: [3]+4 = 7

Nora:
Initiative
Initiative: 1d20: 1d20: [20] = 20

Actions performed not necessarily in this order

Action 1: Reserved for Dodge
Action 2: Strike: Head Lasers: 1d20+2: [1]+2 = 3 , Damage – MDC (4D4): 4d4: [3, 3, 4, 1] = 11
Action 3: Strike: Head Lasers: 1d20+2: [10]+2 = 12 , Damage – MDC (4D4): 4d4: [2, 2, 3, 2] = 9
Action 4: Strike: Head Lasers: 1d20+2: [13]+2 = 15 , Damage – MDC (4D4): 4d4: [4, 1, 2, 1] = 8
Action 5: Strike: Head Lasers: 1d20+2: [11]+2 = 13 , Damage – MDC (4D4): 4d4: [2, 2, 3, 4] = 11
Action 6: Strike: Head Lasers: 1d20+2: [16]+2 = 18 , Damage – MDC (4D4): 4d4: [1, 2, 1, 2] = 6

Parries/Dodges
Parries (+1 included): 1d20+1: [7]+1 = 8 , 1d20+1: [7]+1 = 8 , 1d20+1: [5]+1 = 6 , 1d20+1: [9]+1 = 10 , 1d20+1: [11]+1 = 12
Dodges (+4 included): 1d20+4: [4]+4 = 8 , 1d20+4: [2]+4 = 6 , 1d20+4: [18]+4 = 22 , 1d20+4: [10]+4 = 14 , 1d20+4: [2]+4 = 6
User avatar
Benjamin Shepard
Posts: 19
Joined: Mon Apr 29, 2024 8:12 am

Re: Hold Back the Night. Chapter 4.

Post by Benjamin Shepard »

Perception: 1d100: [15] = 15 /15
JIC 1d20: 1d20: [16] = 16
JIC 1d100: 1d100: [37] = 37

Ben comes to in a daze. A burning sensation in his hand snaps him back to reality. His mouth hangs open for a moment in a silent shout. The pain subsides almost as quickly as it had come. Ben holds the dagger up in front of his eyes for a moment. Christ...It went through his arm like it was butter. The hell is with this thing? He places the knife back inside his jacket. Crawling towards the cab of the truck, Ben reels at the sight of the dead driver. The rigor mortis grin and dead eyes cause Ben to fall over himself as he shuffles backwards and away from the corpse. He closes his eyes and composes himself. He crawls forward once more toward the cab of the truck, only looking at the dead man out of the corner of his vision. Did it...Did it just blink?

Once in the cab, Ben reaches towards the door latch and opens it slightly. Placing a foot on the cadaver's side, he gives it good shove, sending the body of the driver tumbling out the driver's side door. Ben stumbles slightly as he hops out of the cab, his legs still wobbly from the crash. Rising shakily to his feet, he raises a hand to his head to shield his eyes from the sunlight like a visor.

He circles round the back of the truck to see if he can asess any damage.
Dice rolls
1d100: [18] = 18
1d20: [17] = 17
1d100: [72] = 72
User avatar
Falcon
Posts: 90
Joined: Thu Dec 29, 2022 1:13 pm

Re: Hold Back the Night. Chapter 4.

Post by Falcon »

(Rolls Carry Over)

As Falcon returns to the supply truck carrying the full saddlebags, Frack these are heavy. Maybe I need an upgrade. he hears footsteps, breathing, and movement at the back of the truck. He gently puts the bags down next to the driver's side front tire and, as stealthily as any partial cyborg, moves to the back of the truck with rifle at the ready.

Prowl (55%): 1d100: [66] = 66

Lets try sneaking. If that doesn't work, I'll be my normal bull in a China shop.

As he turns the corner he raises his weapon, "Dude, I'm tired and sore. Don't make me kill you."
User avatar
Benjamin Shepard
Posts: 19
Joined: Mon Apr 29, 2024 8:12 am

Re: Hold Back the Night. Chapter 4.

Post by Benjamin Shepard »

(Rolls held)

Ben looks off into the treeline for a moment as he rounds the back of the truck. Looking ahead once more, he is greeted with the sight of a rifle barrel pointed directly at his chest.

He sighs audibly and raises his hands in the air.

"I'm guessing if you were gonna kill me, you'd have done it by now. You'll probably want to know that I'm armed. Got a knife in my pocket. You mind if I take it out?"

He watches the newcomer carefully as he awaits a reponse.
User avatar
Falcon
Posts: 90
Joined: Thu Dec 29, 2022 1:13 pm

Re: Hold Back the Night. Chapter 4.

Post by Falcon »

(Rolls Carry Over)

Falcon looks at the disheveled man Well, he is polite and maybe honest. Good beginning

"Nope. No time. I'm assuming the guy cooling on the ground was your doing?" After just a heartbeat Falcon goes with a hunch. "I'm SSG Falcon, with NEMA. We need to catch up with the rest of the of this splinter group, so get what you can from the guy on the ground, weapons, armor, etc. and get this truck moving."

Falcon kneels to open his saddle bags to retrieve his MDC Longcoat and a Spider Drone and hands it to the new guy. "This coat should give you some protection and the drone will let me stay in touch with you." Falcon then swings his rifle around front and primes his jet pack. "And if you try to do to me what you did to him, or run with my gear, know I may not win, but you will be coming to hell with me." With that Falcon jets off after Marconi and his hounds.
User avatar
Benjamin Shepard
Posts: 19
Joined: Mon Apr 29, 2024 8:12 am

Re: Hold Back the Night. Chapter 4.

Post by Benjamin Shepard »

(rolls held)

Ben puts his hands down and hesitates for a moment before taking the offered long coat. "Uh...Thanks." He pulls the long coat on over his clothes and glances back at the body sprawled out by the truck. "Yeah, about that... You see, that guy-" Ben watches as Falcon unceremoniously blasts off in the the distance.
"I'm SSG Falcon, with NEMA. We need to catch up with the rest of the of this splinter group, so get what you can from the guy on the ground, weapons, armor, etc. and get this truck moving.
"Yeah, I guess I'll just get on that..."

Ben heads over to the driver's door and drags the driver's body back behind the truck. He then heads to the passenger side and drags the body of the headless NEMA soldier back behind the truck as well. He squats down next to the body and lowers his head slightly before looking back at the decapitated man. "Sorry about this, buddy." He searches the body for any useable equipment and also any accompanying ID tags he might be wearing. When finished, he moves on to the driver and begins the same operation. "Gonna be honest with you, friend. I'm NOT too sorry about this."

After checking the bodies, Ben tosses Falcon's equipment into the cab of the truck. Next, he jumps into the driver's seat and tries to start the truck. Glancing in the rear view mirror, he sighs as he sees the body of the NEMA soldier. Once I find out if this thing works or not, I'll look for something to cover him up with.
Skill rolls
Shepard will try and start the truck and assess any damage to the vehicle (Pilot Automobile 65%/ 1d100: [44] = 44 ; Basic Mechanics 40%/ 1d100: [2] = 2 )
User avatar
Myth and Jest
Dimension Master
Posts: 106
Joined: Mon Nov 28, 2022 10:42 am
Location: Chaos Earth DM

Re: Hold Back the Night. Chapter 4.

Post by Myth and Jest »

10:20 - 29 December – Ruined Interstate

Marconi leaps from the speeding ATV at the closing motorcycle. The bike’s pilot jabs the controls to the left, dipping under Marconi in mid-jump, and speeds away. The Private sees his one chance for a soft-landing dodge aside, and he slams bodily onto the pavement at high speed, tumbling into a blur of body and limbs. He rolls to a stop in a scuffed and bruised state (-16 SD) and looks up at Nora’s expressionless face as it queries his operational status. The convoy speeds away between buildings into the city.

***
Falcon wrote:”Command, ignore STD 10’s order.”
Falcon gets out the first bit of his response to NEMA Command before the channel breaks into scrambled static. One of his flying drones darts away toward Marconi’s estimated location. It is unknown whether he prevented the self-destruct instruction from being sent to the hound drones. After his brief interaction with Shepard, he launches into the air and follows the path of the fleeing convoy.

***

Shepard checks the supply truck and finds the vehicle to be functional other than exterior cosmetic damage. The truck’s ignition turns on without issue, and the engine hums to life. After removing the dead bodies, he collects their energy pistols, five energy clips, a vibro-knife, the NEMA soldier’s dog tags, and a mobile computer device, similar to a smartphone, from the driver. The other drone that Falcon left sits next to Ben in the cab like a severed head sitting in a pool of blood.

***

Falcon flies to Marconi's estimated position and sees the Private sprawled on the ground with Nora standing close by. Rex appears a quarter mile down the street, loping back to Nora’s position. The flying drone hovers over Marconi like a physical “You are here” sign.

The supply trucks and enemy vehicles have disappeared into the ruined city. Mega-scrapers, massive buildings that tower over the surroundings like monolithic giants, fade away into the overcast clouds above. The daylight, already diminished and diffused by the global ash storm, barely reaches the streets and alleyways, creating a nocturnal twisted labyrinth filled with the screams of a dying humanity. And then the snow begins to fall rapidly.
Liam Marconi
Posts: 109
Joined: Mon Dec 05, 2022 8:21 am

Re: Hold Back the Night. Chapter 4.

Post by Liam Marconi »

Perception (24% - Standard Zone): 1d100: [67] = 67
JIC (d20/d%): 1d20: [13] = 13 / 1d100: [88] = 88

10:20 - 29 December – Ruined Interstate
The jump was well times, but the biker managed to turn aside at the last minute and Marconi wound up hitting the ground at high speed and rolling for about thirty feet. He also had the wind knocked out of him and got a number of bruises.

He groans as he sucks in air and checks for broken bones, Well, I guess I am not the next great action hero. I will live, but will probably take days to heal. At least nothing seems broken.

He notices Nora gazing at him and says, "I am functional, but I hope I do not have to try that again soon. I also hope they are content to leave us behind and not come gunning for us."

The tests his radio, and finds it filled with loud static, indicating probably jamming. He sighs and pushes himself off the ground and rises shakily to his feet.

He starts putting his thoughts in order for when he has someone to report to.

It seems likely that a group of people who, for whatever reason, disagree with Nema being in charge have decided to make a break from the convoy, seeking some place they think is either safe or can be defended. They probably arranged to all be assigned to the last part of the convoy, so that their breaking off was less likely to be noticed. If they were smart, they probably took some vehicles with women and children, because you can not build a society with men alone...and can probably not count on the locals still being wherever they are headed. They are probably looking for a place where they will be either welcome as saviors, or be able to overcome the local defenses. Most likely a place with some sort of manufacturing facilities, but also with local croplands to raise food.

If the Motorcycle of Hovercycle come back for him, he will defend himself with his rifle, and hope Nora will assist. He will not attack first if it is a Motorcycle, as the one he kept from being destroyed by the truck laser might come back (or it might be Falcon).

5 attacks per round, Strike bonus +0 with Laser Rifle, Damage 2d6 MDC, +3 dodge
Initiative: 1d20: [3] = 3
Round 1) Strike 1d20: [3] = 3 , Damage 2d6: [3, 3] = 6
Round 2) Strike 1d20: [5] = 5 , Damage 2d6: [6, 3] = 9
Round 3) Strike 1d20: [9] = 9 , Damage 2d6: [3, 1] = 4
Round 4 & 5) Dodges 1d20+3: [17]+3 = 20 , 1d20+3: [1]+3 = 4
User avatar
Benjamin Shepard
Posts: 19
Joined: Mon Apr 29, 2024 8:12 am

Re: Hold Back the Night. Chapter 4.

Post by Benjamin Shepard »

Perception: 1d100: [47] = 47 /15
JIC 1d20: 1d20: [15] = 15
JIC 1d100: 1d100: [15] = 15

Ben finishes covering up the body of the dead NEMA soldier as best as he can with a bit of canvas scavenged from some of the supply pallets. Standing up, he tucks one of the energy pistols into his pants and loads the pockets of his long coat with the energy clips, vibroblade and dog tags and heads back towards the running truck. He tosses the mobile computer device into the glove compartment along with the second pistol.

Glancing back at the body in one of his side mirrors, Ben gives a little salute before puting the car in reverse to get it back on the road and after the Convoy.
'
He locates the radio and tries to raise someone else from the convoy.

"This is special agent Ben Shepard calling any NEMA personnel in the area. There was an altercation in our supply truck and as a result we were left behind. I've got the truck back on the road and am heading for the convoy's destination. Anyone out there? Over."

Shepard casts a sidelong glance at the spider drone watching him from the passenger's seat. I hope to God your buddy didn't just leave us out to dry.
Skill Rolls
Pilot: Automobile 65%/ 1d100: [56] = 56
Radio: Basic 55%/ 1d100: [48] = 48 1d100: [48] = 48
Land Navigation 46%/ 1d100: [86] = 86
User avatar
Falcon
Posts: 90
Joined: Thu Dec 29, 2022 1:13 pm

Re: Hold Back the Night. Chapter 4.

Post by Falcon »

OOC Comments
Perception: 18% / 1d100: [58] = 58
JIC: 1d20: [15] = 15 / 1d100: [67] = 67
+2 v HF, +2 v Lethal/Non-lethal Toxins, +6% vs Coma/Death, +2 vs Magic, +2 vs Insanity, +2 vs Psionics
Pilot-Jet Pack (46%): 1d100: [86] = 86
Gymnastics – Back Flip (80%): 1d100: [53] = 53
M&J wrote: Falcon flies to Marconi's estimated position and sees the Private sprawled on the ground with Nora standing close by. Rex appears a quarter mile down the street, loping back to Nora’s position. The flying drone hovers over Marconi like a physical “You are here” sign.
Falcon spots Marconi sitting on the ground at Nora’s feet and attempts a movie super-hero hard landing. He considers to include the Loki/Black Widow hair flip, but decides against it. I’m not a poser!!

As he lands, a mechanical female voice comes from Nora. ”Designation Marconi has minor structural damage, but is functional. Hounds fully functional.”

Falcon kneels next to Marconi and slaps him on the shoulder, perhaps a little too hard. ”Glad we are both kicking. We both fumbled this one a little. I mean, I lost my bike, but it looks like you lost an entire ATV. That’s twice the wheels and everything.” There is a hint of laughter in his voice as he stands and scans the area for enemies.

”Nora, Rex, there is a truck that should be headed our way. Ichabad is with them, so it should be easy to find and escort here.”

He then opens a channel directly to Ichabad. ”Civilian. I am sending my hounds to escort you here. We are on foot a couple miles from your position. We don’t know the status of our attackers, so only use the drone for communication at this time. See you when you join the team.”

He then offers a hand to Marconi and, with or without Marconi, heads to the side of the road with a little cover. ”So, what you think is going on?”



OOC Comments
In case of violence: Initiative +4 (+5 w/rifles)
Initiative: 1d20+5: 1d20+5: [4]+5 = 9

Actions performed not necessarily in this order (6 actions +1 with Rifle)

Action 1: Reserved for Dodge/vehicle maneuver
Action 2: Reserved for Dodge/vehicle maneuver
Action 3: Strike: Rifle 1d20+9: [19]+9 = 28 , Damage - SDC (5D6): 5d6: [3, 6, 4, 3, 5] = 21 , Damage - MDC (3D6): 3d6: [2, 6, 5] = 13
Action 4: Strike: Rifle 1d20+9: [1]+9 = 10 , Damage - SDC (5D6): 5d6: [4, 1, 4, 5, 6] = 20 , Damage - MDC (3D6): 3d6: [3, 1, 3] = 7
Action 5: Strike: Rifle 1d20+9: [16]+9 = 25 , Damage - SDC (5D6): 5d6: [4, 1, 2, 3, 6] = 16 , Damage - MDC (3D6): 3d6: [2, 2, 1] = 5
Action 6: Strike: Rifle 1d20+9: [5]+9 = 14 , Damage - SDC (5D6): 5d6: [2, 6, 6, 6, 2] = 22 , Damage - MDC (3D6): 3d6: [6, 5, 4] = 15
Action 7: Strike: Rifle 1d20+9: [11]+9 = 20 , Damage - SDC (5D6): 5d6: [4, 2, 5, 5, 1] = 17 , Damage - MDC (3D6): 3d6: [6, 1, 1] = 8

Parries (+8 included): 1d20+8: [20]+8 = 28 , 1d20+8: [11]+8 = 19 , 1d20+8: [6]+8 = 14 , 1d20+8: [9]+8 = 17 , 1d20+8: [16]+8 = 24
Dodges (+9 included): 1d20+9: [11]+9 = 20 , 1d20+9: [7]+9 = 16 , 1d20+9: [7]+9 = 16 , 1d20+9: [7]+9 = 16 , 1d20+9: [12]+9 = 21
Hounds
Rex:
Initiative
Initiative: 1d20: 1d20: [10] = 10

Actions performed not necessarily in this order

Action 1: Reserved for Dodge
Action 2: Strike: Head Lasers: 1d20+2: [13]+2 = 15 , Damage – MDC (4D4): 4d4: [2, 2, 3, 2] = 9
Action 3: Strike: Head Lasers: 1d20+2: [3]+2 = 5 , Damage – MDC (4D4): 4d4: [3, 4, 1, 1] = 9
Action 4: Strike: Head Lasers: 1d20+2: [4]+2 = 6 , Damage – MDC (4D4): 4d4: [1, 4, 3, 2] = 10
Action 5: Strike: Head Lasers: 1d20+2: [14]+2 = 16 , Damage – MDC (4D4): 4d4: [3, 3, 4, 2] = 12
Action 6: Strike: Head Lasers: 1d20+2: [11]+2 = 13 , Damage – MDC (4D4): 4d4: [1, 2, 2, 3] = 8

Parries/Dodges
Parries (+1 included): 1d20+1: [2]+1 = 3 , 1d20+1: [1]+1 = 2 , 1d20+1: [20]+1 = 21 , 1d20+1: [9]+1 = 10 , 1d20+1: [17]+1 = 18
Dodges (+4 included): 1d20+4: [19]+4 = 23 , 1d20+4: [9]+4 = 13 , 1d20+4: [13]+4 = 17 , 1d20+4: [14]+4 = 18 , 1d20+4: [8]+4 = 12

Nora:
Initiative
Initiative: 1d20: 1d20: [7] = 7

Actions performed not necessarily in this order

Action 1: Reserved for Dodge
Action 2: Strike: Head Lasers: 1d20+2: [12]+2 = 14 , Damage – MDC (4D4): 4d4: [3, 1, 4, 4] = 12
Action 3: Strike: Head Lasers: 1d20+2: [18]+2 = 20 , Damage – MDC (4D4): 4d4: [3, 4, 3, 3] = 13
Action 4: Strike: Head Lasers: 1d20+2: [13]+2 = 15 , Damage – MDC (4D4): 4d4: [3, 4, 3, 1] = 11
Action 5: Strike: Head Lasers: 1d20+2: [5]+2 = 7 , Damage – MDC (4D4): 4d4: [4, 1, 2, 2] = 9
Action 6: Strike: Head Lasers: 1d20+2: [16]+2 = 18 , Damage – MDC (4D4): 4d4: [3, 4, 3, 4] = 14

Parries/Dodges
Parries (+1 included): 1d20+1: [9]+1 = 10 , 1d20+1: [3]+1 = 4 , 1d20+1: [18]+1 = 19 , 1d20+1: [17]+1 = 18 , 1d20+1: [2]+1 = 3
Dodges (+4 included): 1d20+4: [20]+4 = 24 , 1d20+4: [3]+4 = 7 , 1d20+4: [18]+4 = 22 , 1d20+4: [17]+4 = 21 , 1d20+4: [8]+4 = 12
Liam Marconi
Posts: 109
Joined: Mon Dec 05, 2022 8:21 am

Re: Hold Back the Night. Chapter 4.

Post by Liam Marconi »

(Rolls held over)

Marconi says, "I have a few theories."

He will explain his thoughts, and add, "Our being assigned to the tail of the caravan seems to have thrown a wrench into their plans."
User avatar
Myth and Jest
Dimension Master
Posts: 106
Joined: Mon Nov 28, 2022 10:42 am
Location: Chaos Earth DM

Re: Hold Back the Night. Chapter 4.

Post by Myth and Jest »

10:30 - 29 December – Ruined Interstate

Sheppard follows the road deeper into the mega-city. The spider drone twists in the bloody seat to look at him, squelching with static. Then Falcon's voice emanates from the round drone informing him of their position. Two hound drones meet his truck and take flanking positions as he drives to Falcon and Marconi's position.

***

Falcon and Marconi watch the crumpled supply truck and the hounds pull up to the curb.
User avatar
Benjamin Shepard
Posts: 19
Joined: Mon Apr 29, 2024 8:12 am

Re: Hold Back the Night. Chapter 4.

Post by Benjamin Shepard »

(Rolls held)

Shepard follows the hounds for a while and comes to a stop as the two mechanical canines break off and leave the road. He reluctantly grabs the spider drone and turns off the engine before hopping out the driver's side door. He makes his way offroad and heads towards Falcon and Marconi. He raises a hand in greeting.

"Glad to see you made it here in one piece." He holds out the spider drone."I think this belongs to you? The rest of your gear's in the back of the truck."

Ben gives Marconi a curt nod. "Name's Ben Shepard." He glances back towards the road before returning his gaze to his two new companions. "Are, uh, are we all that's left? I tried raising someone on the radio, but ah..." He trails off.
Liam Marconi
Posts: 109
Joined: Mon Dec 05, 2022 8:21 am

Re: Hold Back the Night. Chapter 4.

Post by Liam Marconi »

(Rolls held over)

Liam replies, "Militia Private Liam Marconi, and if you have heard of me at all, it is probably wrong."

He considers the question, "About ten percent of the caravan split off from the rest for some reason. When we got here, the started jamming radio frequencies. I suspect an organized insurrection, with some group that has decided to set up a petty kingdom taking supplied to some place they think the can make a go of survival without the rest. Our duty is to try to recover the stolen supplies, but if we can not then we need to gather intel and report to the group leaders."
User avatar
Falcon
Posts: 90
Joined: Thu Dec 29, 2022 1:13 pm

Re: Hold Back the Night. Chapter 4.

Post by Falcon »

(Rolls Carry Over)
Marconi wrote: He will explain his thoughts, and add, "Our being assigned to the tail of the caravan seems to have thrown a wrench into their plans."
Falcon considers the theories. ”That would mean LeBlanc and the other are hostages. We might have a rescue mission next. Why does it seem like we show up, throw a wrench in someone’s plans, and then run like hell as it all blows up?”
Marconi wrote: Liam replies, "Militia Private Liam Marconi, and if you have heard of me at all, it is probably wrong."
As he takes the drone from Shepard he shoots a look at Marconi. ”Are you going to keep introducing yourself like that, Corporal?” Falcon pitches his voice in a sing-song manner. ”Hi, I’m the third string Quarterback for the worst team in my division. Oh, and I also have a small penis. That is NOT you!!”
Shepard wrote: Ben gives Marconi a curt nod. "Name's Ben Shepard." He glances back towards the road before returning his gaze to his two new companions. "Are, uh, are we all that's left? I tried raising someone on the radio, but ah..." He trails off.
Falcon retrieves his gear from the back of the truck, stows Ichabad, and hands Shepard a radio. ”First, the only people we trust right now are standing right here. Marconi, me, Rex, Nora, and Shepard until he proves us wrong. I am assuming they have access to the main NEMA channels, so only team channel from here on out.”

Falcon then aims all his attention on Shepard. ”Since we have time now. Give us your elevator pitch. Who are you and why should we trust you?” I like this guy, but have been fooled before. There was that hot chick in Bangkok who turned out to be….Let’s not dwell on that now.
User avatar
Benjamin Shepard
Posts: 19
Joined: Mon Apr 29, 2024 8:12 am

Re: Hold Back the Night. Chapter 4.

Post by Benjamin Shepard »

Shepard nods along with the soldier's assessment of the situation.

"Well, count me in. Just the fact that you haven't tried to blow my head off yet makes me inclined to trust you."
Falcon then aims all his attention on Shepard. ”Since we have time now. Give us your elevator pitch. Who are you and why should we trust you?” I like this guy, but have been fooled before. There was that hot chick in Bangkok who turned out to be….Let’s not dwell on that now.
Ben nods and shoves his hands in his pockets.

"I'm a federal agent. Spent the last few months investigating a cult carrying out strange ritualistic killings."

He scratches at the stubble on his chin.

"As to how I ended up here, your guess is as good as mine. Last thing I remember is bringing some coffee to my car back in Tennessee. That was a week or so ago. The convoy came across me in the street babbling some incoherent ramblings about the end of the world or some such. To be honest, I ah... can't remember anything really."

Ben pulls out the NEMA dog tags and offers them to Falcon. "Anyway, you might want these. They were on a NEMA soldier who was in the truck with me. The driver blew the poor guy's brains out before I took him down."
Liam Marconi
Posts: 109
Joined: Mon Dec 05, 2022 8:21 am

Re: Hold Back the Night. Chapter 4.

Post by Liam Marconi »

(Rolls held over)
Liam snorts, "Ran into one of those cults ourselves, but the one we ran into used the blue lines to allow in something that turned one of them into a monster. No idea how that works yet, bit it was tough to fight. If you ran into some of the OTHER things we have seen, it would be no surprise if your mind simply refused to accept them as real and blocked them out"

He probably might get in trouble if those upstairs heard him talking about the monster...but right now, Ben can use reassurance that we do not find anything he has said unacceptable.
User avatar
Falcon
Posts: 90
Joined: Thu Dec 29, 2022 1:13 pm

Re: Hold Back the Night. Chapter 4.

Post by Falcon »

(Rolls Carry Over)
Shepard wrote: "I'm a federal agent. Spent the last few months investigating a cult carrying out strange ritualistic killings."… Ben pulls out the NEMA dog tags and offers them to Falcon. "Anyway, you might want these. They were on a NEMA soldier who was in the truck with me. The driver blew the poor guy's brains out before I took him down."
Falcon takes the tags, reads the name, then secures them in a pocket. Probably going to have too many of these before this is all over.
Marconi wrote:”… refused to accept them as real and blocked them out"
There are a lot of things I wish I could block out. Falcon then looks between the two and offers a hand to Shepard. ”Well, secret agent man, welcome to the team….unless Marconi, Rex, or Nora have any objections.” He takes a beat to look at the other three members of the team, as if Rex or Nora will indicate yes or no. ”I only have basic mechanics knowledge, but lets double check our ride while we hash this out. It sounds like Marconi wants to hunt these guys down. If one of you knows more about auto mechanics, please help me. If not, maybe check our cargo. Rex, Nora, and the Flying Drone 1 have security.”

Falcon then moves to inspect the tires, underbody, and main structure before opening the hood.
Basic Mechanics (35%): 1d100: [97] = 97

Falcon stands from inspecting a tire. ”Wait, you said the driver shot the NEMA soldier riding shotgun. What makes you think the driver wasn’t NEMA and why do you think he shot the soldier? Keep working, just talk.”
Last edited by Falcon on Fri May 10, 2024 7:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Liam Marconi
Posts: 109
Joined: Mon Dec 05, 2022 8:21 am

Re: Hold Back the Night. Chapter 4.

Post by Liam Marconi »

(Rolls held over)

Marconi snorts a laugh, "If I knew anything about mechanics, I would not have had to disable the laser cannon with a vibroknife. I can hand you tools, but that is about it."

He will look at Ben, "That would fit with my theory about a breakaway group. They would have to remove any NEMA loyalists."
User avatar
Benjamin Shepard
Posts: 19
Joined: Mon Apr 29, 2024 8:12 am

Re: Hold Back the Night. Chapter 4.

Post by Benjamin Shepard »

(Rolls held)
Falcon then looks between the two and offers a hand to Shepard. ”Well, secret agent man, welcome to the team….unless Marconi, Rex, or Nora have any objections.” He takes a beat to look at the other three members of the team, as if Rex or Nora will indicate yes or no. ”I only have basic mechanics knowledge, but lets double check our ride while we hash this out. It sounds like Marconi wants to hunt these guys down. If one of you knows more about auto mechanics, please help me. If not, maybe check our cargo. Rex, Nora, and the Flying Drone 1 have security.”
Ben shakes hands with both of the men. "Yeah, sure. I can have a look with you. I'm no mechanic, but I know a thing or two."
Falcon stands from inspecting a tire. ”Wait, you said the driver shot the NEMA soldier riding shotgun. What makes you think the driver wasn’t NEMA and why do you think he shot the soldier? Keep working, just talk.”
Shepard looks around the raised hood at the question before going back to work inspecting the engine.

"Well." He takes out the dipstick and inspects the oil level before wiping it off and putting it back in. "I guess I can't be sure, but his second to last words were "Fuck you, NEMA!"

"As to why he did it, I haven't got a clue." He puts the hood back down. "I was sleeping in the back and was going to ask where we were when it happened. Maybe the guy just snapped." He shrugs.
Rolls
Basic Mechanics 40%/ 1d100: [83] = 83
User avatar
Myth and Jest
Dimension Master
Posts: 106
Joined: Mon Nov 28, 2022 10:42 am
Location: Chaos Earth DM

Re: Hold Back the Night. Chapter 4.

Post by Myth and Jest »

10:45 - 29 December – Ruined Interstate

Falcon and Shepard look over the truck, evaluating its functionality, but it appears no worse for wear beyond the crumpled front fender and the broken headlights.

The muffled sound of gunfire periodically breaks through the wind from somewhere deeper within the city. The snowfall and wind continue to pick up, blowing sheets of white across the road. In a short time, the snow will cover all tracks of the missing vehicles.

Shepard feels the weight of eyes watching him and a sense of being exposed on the open interstate.

Marconi feels the now familiar teasing energy tickle his mind. Several ley lines crisscross through the mega-city, but they are too far for him to sense their exact positions.

As the three men talk, their comm units squelch with static, and Captain Fairmont’s voice breaks through. “Command to STD10. Do you read? Confirm drone self-destruct request. Any security teams respond. Over.”

If the comm lines are operational, then the source of interference must be out of range or turned off.
User avatar
Benjamin Shepard
Posts: 19
Joined: Mon Apr 29, 2024 8:12 am

Re: Hold Back the Night. Chapter 4.

Post by Benjamin Shepard »

Shepard pulls his long coat around himself and rubs his arms.

"This weather sure is taking a turn for the worst. I think we should get-" Shepard stops speaking for a moment and stares off into a wooded area back behind them for a good few seconds before seemingly snapping out of it. "Um, sorry. I think we should get back on the road. I think we're a little exposed out here."
As the three men talk, their comm units squelch with static, and Captain Fairmont’s voice breaks through. “Command to STD10. Do you read? Confirm drone self-destruct request. Any security teams respond. Over.”
Ben breathes out a little sigh of relief as the radio barks to life. He looks at Falcon and Marconi expectantly.
Liam Marconi
Posts: 109
Joined: Mon Dec 05, 2022 8:21 am

Re: Hold Back the Night. Chapter 4.

Post by Liam Marconi »

Perception (24% - Standard zone): 1d100: [93] = 93
JIC (d20/d%): 1d20: [4] = 4 / 1d100: [27] = 27

Marconi checks out what is inside the vehicle. These chosen vehicles tended to be supplies and materials mostly, so there might be something useful.

Liam can feel that there are blue lines somewhere nearby. Not close enough to grasp their power, but it is like being able to smell bread baking from far away. He cannot tell where, but it is there somewhere. Perhaps he will learn to use this ability at some point in the future in a more structured fashion. As it is, he will just have to ignore it until he is closer, since he can not tell where exactly the feeling is coming from and the blue lines are far less visible by day.

He will try is radio, possibly it was being overwhelmed by feedback from the more powerful transmitter of the ATV.

He will say, "This is Militia Private Liam Marconi. A portion of the convoy has been diverted. Members of the group have attack NEMA personnel, The K-9 units were acting under orders to try to stop the diversion. I suggest aborting the destruct order, as it came from a compromised source."

Radio (Basic - 65%): 1d100: [74] = 74
Last edited by Liam Marconi on Tue May 14, 2024 8:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
Falcon
Posts: 90
Joined: Thu Dec 29, 2022 1:13 pm

Re: Hold Back the Night. Chapter 4.

Post by Falcon »

OOC Comments
Perception: 18% / 1d100: [11] = 11
JIC: 1d20: [19] = 19 / 1d100: [34] = 34
+2 v HF, +2 v Lethal/Non-lethal Toxins, +6% vs Coma/Death, +2 vs Magic, +2 vs Insanity, +2 vs Psionics
Pilot-Jet Pack (46%): 1d100: [21] = 21
Gymnastics – Back Flip (80%): 1d100: [68] = 68
Shepard wrote: I think we should get-" Shepard stops speaking for a moment and stares off into a wooded area back behind them for a good few seconds before seemingly snapping out of it.
Falcon notices the slight paus and zoning out of the new guy. Need to keep an eye on him. He is a civilian, agent and all, but still a civilian. This is likely a lot for him. Don’t forget to insist he gets some medical and mental attention when we get back.
Marconi wrote: He will say, "This is Militia Private Liam Marconi. A portion of the convoy has been diverted. Members of the group have attack NEMA personnel, The K-9 units were acting under orders to try to stop the diversion. I suggest aborting the destruct order, as it came from a compromised source."
As Marconi finishes Falcon thinks Didn’t I just say not to use the radios? ”Thank you Marconi. I don’t know what I would do without the hounds. But we go radio silent with regard to outside, non-secured channels from this point on.”

Watching the snow fall, Falcon knows there isn’t much time. ”Ok team, we don’t have much time if we are going to track them. Thoughts? Do we follow or try to meet up with the main convoy?” Falcon then turns to Marconi… ”Any chance you can get an eye in the sky with the flying drones?” With this Falcon rases just his hands to shoulder height and flaps them quickly like wings.


OOC Comments
In case of violence: Initiative +4 (+5 w/rifles)
Initiative: 1d20+5: 1d20+5: [1]+5 = 6

Actions performed not necessarily in this order (6 actions +1 with Rifle)

Action 1: Reserved for Dodge/vehicle maneuver
Action 2: Reserved for Dodge/vehicle maneuver
Action 3: Strike: Rifle 1d20+9: [12]+9 = 21 , Damage - SDC (5D6): 5d6: [4, 6, 4, 6, 6] = 26 , Damage - MDC (3D6): 3d6: [2, 4, 3] = 9
Action 4: Strike: Rifle 1d20+9: [8]+9 = 17 , Damage - SDC (5D6): 5d6: [4, 1, 1, 3, 2] = 11 , Damage - MDC (3D6): 3d6: [4, 3, 6] = 13
Action 5: Strike: Rifle 1d20+9: [10]+9 = 19 , Damage - SDC (5D6): 5d6: [3, 5, 4, 6, 4] = 22 , Damage - MDC (3D6): 3d6: [6, 5, 5] = 16
Action 6: Strike: Rifle 1d20+9: [11]+9 = 20 , Damage - SDC (5D6): 5d6: [1, 4, 2, 6, 6] = 19 , Damage - MDC (3D6): 3d6: [6, 2, 3] = 11
Action 7: Strike: Rifle 1d20+9: [17]+9 = 26 , Damage - SDC (5D6): 5d6: [5, 5, 3, 1, 2] = 16 , Damage - MDC (3D6): 3d6: [5, 3, 4] = 12

Parries (+8 included): 1d20+8: [2]+8 = 10 , 1d20+8: [11]+8 = 19 , 1d20+8: [11]+8 = 19 , 1d20+8: [3]+8 = 11 , 1d20+8: [9]+8 = 17
Dodges (+9 included): 1d20+9: [3]+9 = 12 , 1d20+9: [2]+9 = 11 , 1d20+9: [19]+9 = 28 , 1d20+9: [5]+9 = 14 , 1d20+9: [16]+9 = 25
Hounds
Rex:
Initiative
Initiative: 1d20: 1d20: [1] = 1

Actions performed not necessarily in this order

Action 1: Reserved for Dodge
Action 2: Strike: Head Lasers: 1d20+2: [14]+2 = 16 , Damage – MDC (4D4): 4d4: [3, 1, 3, 3] = 10
Action 3: Strike: Head Lasers: 1d20+2: [13]+2 = 15 , Damage – MDC (4D4): 4d4: [2, 3, 1, 4] = 10
Action 4: Strike: Head Lasers: 1d20+2: [18]+2 = 20 , Damage – MDC (4D4): 4d4: [2, 3, 4, 1] = 10
Action 5: Strike: Head Lasers: 1d20+2: [19]+2 = 21 , Damage – MDC (4D4): 4d4: [2, 4, 3, 2] = 11
Action 6: Strike: Head Lasers: 1d20+2: [1]+2 = 3 , Damage – MDC (4D4): 4d4: [4, 4, 4, 1] = 13

Parries/Dodges
Parries (+1 included): 1d20+1: [17]+1 = 18 , 1d20+1: [19]+1 = 20 , 1d20+1: [5]+1 = 6 , 1d20+1: [10]+1 = 11 , 1d20+1: [5]+1 = 6
Dodges (+4 included): 1d20+4: [10]+4 = 14 , 1d20+4: [16]+4 = 20 , 1d20+4: [2]+4 = 6 , 1d20+4: [10]+4 = 14 , 1d20+4: [8]+4 = 12

Nora:
Initiative
Initiative: 1d20: 1d20: [3] = 3

Actions performed not necessarily in this order

Action 1: Reserved for Dodge
Action 2: Strike: Head Lasers: 1d20+2: [19]+2 = 21 , Damage – MDC (4D4): 4d4: [1, 2, 4, 1] = 8
Action 3: Strike: Head Lasers: 1d20+2: [1]+2 = 3 , Damage – MDC (4D4): 4d4: [2, 1, 1, 2] = 6
Action 4: Strike: Head Lasers: 1d20+2: [20]+2 = 22 , Damage – MDC (4D4): 4d4: [1, 4, 2, 2] = 9
Action 5: Strike: Head Lasers: 1d20+2: [4]+2 = 6 , Damage – MDC (4D4): 4d4: [1, 2, 3, 4] = 10
Action 6: Strike: Head Lasers: 1d20+2: [17]+2 = 19 , Damage – MDC (4D4): 4d4: [3, 2, 3, 4] = 12

Parries/Dodges
Parries (+1 included): 1d20+1: [9]+1 = 10 , 1d20+1: [8]+1 = 9 , 1d20+1: [16]+1 = 17 , 1d20+1: [2]+1 = 3 , 1d20+1: [1]+1 = 2
Dodges (+4 included): 1d20+4: [1]+4 = 5 , 1d20+4: [13]+4 = 17 , 1d20+4: [3]+4 = 7 , 1d20+4: [5]+4 = 9 , 1d20+4: [12]+4 = 16
User avatar
Benjamin Shepard
Posts: 19
Joined: Mon Apr 29, 2024 8:12 am

Re: Hold Back the Night. Chapter 4.

Post by Benjamin Shepard »

Perception: 15%/ 1d100: [14] = 14
JIC: 1d20 - 1d20: [16] = 16
JIC: 1d100 - 1d100: [70] = 70
Watching the snow fall, Falcon knows there isn’t much time. ”Ok team, we don’t have much time if we are going to track them. Thoughts? Do we follow or try to meet up with the main convoy?”
Shepard pipes up at Falcon's question. "Well, I'm just a civilian in this situation, I suppose, so I don't know how much water my opinions hold. However, I'm inclined to say we head after the runaways. Who knows what tech they made off with or if they've taken anyone prisoner."

Half of his mouth turns upward in a sheepish smile. "That's my two cents anyhow."

He glances back behind himself and scans the treeline before turning back to the group. Personally, anywhere is better than being out here in the open. Feels like someone is playing hopscotch over my grave.
User avatar
Myth and Jest
Dimension Master
Posts: 106
Joined: Mon Nov 28, 2022 10:42 am
Location: Chaos Earth DM

Re: Hold Back the Night. Chapter 4.

Post by Myth and Jest »

10:50 - 29 December – Ruined Interstate

Marconi inspects the pallets of supplies loaded in the back of the truck. The pallet labels match the manifest, showing Cold Weather BDUs: Jackets, Trousers, Blouses, and Thermal Underwear Tops and Bottoms.

The radio pings again as Falcon and Shepard discuss following the missing units. Captain Fairmont’s voice cracks through the static. “STD 8, 9, 10, or any NEMA personnel … can hear this. Return to … …voy’s … position if you ar. .. le. If you can’t, hold …. …ition. Sear.. … ..scue ….. are deployed. We ar …… …. You.”

The message breaks several times with distortion, similar to the now typical interference by the disturbed atmosphere. The days of clear communication over distances are over.

The truck shakes from a gust of wind slamming against the side, and the sky darkens from the coming storm. Falcon’s sensors detect a sudden drop in temperature and pressure. The white-out conditions continue to build in strength. Thankfully, the truck’s heater functions for those without sealed body armor.

While moving around the truck, Shepard hears a soft beeping from within the glove compartment.
User avatar
Benjamin Shepard
Posts: 19
Joined: Mon Apr 29, 2024 8:12 am

Re: Hold Back the Night. Chapter 4.

Post by Benjamin Shepard »

OOC Information
Perception: 15% / 1d100: [5] = 5
JIC: 1d20: 1d20: [15] = 15
JIC: 1d100: 1d100: [13] = 13
+3 v HF, 0 v Lethal/Non-lethal Toxins, 0% vs Coma/Death, +1% vs Magic, +5 vs Insanity, +5 vs Psionics, +5 vs Possession
Shepard rubs his hands together vigorously and blows into them as he begins to notice the temperature dropping rapidly.

"Christ. It's really starting to get cold out here. Maybe we shou-" He stops as the radios crackle to life.
The radio pings again as Falcon and Shepard discuss following the missing units. Captain Fairmont’s voice cracks through the static. “STD 8, 9, 10, or any NEMA personnel … can hear this. Return to … …voy’s … position if you ar. .. le. If you can’t, hold …. …ition. Sear.. … ..scue ….. are deployed. We ar …… …. You.”
He is about to comment on the transmission when he hears the beeping coming from the cab of the supply truck. Ben rushes to the passenger side door and throws it open. He begins to rifle through the glove compartment.

"Falcon! Marconi! Get over here! I think it might be the driver's portable computer!"
User avatar
Falcon
Posts: 90
Joined: Thu Dec 29, 2022 1:13 pm

Re: Hold Back the Night. Chapter 4.

Post by Falcon »

OOC Comments
Perception: 18% / 1d100: [21] = 21
JIC: 1d20: [17] = 17 / 1d100: [68] = 68
+2 v HF, +2 v Lethal/Non-lethal Toxins, +6% vs Coma/Death, +2 vs Magic, +2 vs Insanity, +2 vs Psionics
Pilot-Jet Pack (46%): 1d100: [41] = 41
Gymnastics – Back Flip (80%): 1d100: [26] = 26
M&J wrote: The radio pings again as Falcon and Shepard discuss following the missing units. Captain Fairmont’s voice cracks through the static. “STD 8, 9, 10, or any NEMA personnel … can hear this. Return to … …voy’s … position if you ar. .. le. If you can’t, hold …. …ition. Sear.. … ..scue ….. are deployed. We ar …… …. You.”

The message breaks several times with distortion, similar to the now typical interference by the disturbed atmosphere. The days of clear communication over distances are over…..While moving around the truck, Shepard hears a soft beeping from within the glove compartment.
Falcon comes around to the back of the truck with Shepard after inspecting the vehicle. Well, all I could see is minor damage, so fingers crossed. Seeing Marconi finishing up his inspection, ”Hey Marconi, we have anything interesting in there?”
Shepard wrote: "Christ. It's really starting to get cold out here. Maybe we shou-" He stops as the radios crackle to life.
Falcon hears Shepard talk about the cold as he yells to Marconi. I think I have some cold weather gear in my packs. I’ll have to offer them to him. Pretty soon he will be like a girlfriend in the morning, wearing all my favorite t-shirts and sweatshirts.

Falcon stops to listen to the radio message and is about to ask again what the team thinks when he hears the beeping and sees Shepard run off to the front of the truck.

”What the hell is up with civilians? Always running off. Marconi, is it me? I swear I took my monthly bath last week.” Before following Shepard.


OOC Comments
In case of violence: Initiative +4 (+5 w/rifles)
Initiative: 1d20+5: 1d20+5: [11]+5 = 16

Actions performed not necessarily in this order (6 actions +1 with Rifle)

Action 1: Reserved for Dodge/vehicle maneuver
Action 2: Reserved for Dodge/vehicle maneuver
Action 3: Strike: Rifle 1d20+9: [14]+9 = 23 , Damage - SDC (5D6): 5d6: [6, 1, 4, 6, 4] = 21 , Damage - MDC (3D6): 3d6: [1, 3, 6] = 10
Action 4: Strike: Rifle 1d20+9: [5]+9 = 14 , Damage - SDC (5D6): 5d6: [6, 1, 1, 3, 3] = 14 , Damage - MDC (3D6): 3d6: [3, 4, 6] = 13
Action 5: Strike: Rifle 1d20+9: [18]+9 = 27 , Damage - SDC (5D6): 5d6: [3, 4, 1, 3, 3] = 14 , Damage - MDC (3D6): 3d6: [4, 6, 1] = 11
Action 6: Strike: Rifle 1d20+9: [4]+9 = 13 , Damage - SDC (5D6): 5d6: [4, 3, 6, 1, 1] = 15 , Damage - MDC (3D6): 3d6: [2, 1, 2] = 5
Action 7: Strike: Rifle 1d20+9: [10]+9 = 19 , Damage - SDC (5D6): 5d6: [2, 3, 6, 5, 4] = 20 , Damage - MDC (3D6): 3d6: [3, 5, 4] = 12

Parries (+8 included): 1d20+8: [8]+8 = 16 , 1d20+8: [1]+8 = 9 , 1d20+8: [8]+8 = 16 , 1d20+8: [10]+8 = 18 , 1d20+8: [3]+8 = 11
Dodges (+9 included): 1d20+9: [14]+9 = 23 , 1d20+9: [1]+9 = 10 , 1d20+9: [6]+9 = 15 , 1d20+9: [3]+9 = 12 , 1d20+9: [1]+9 = 10
Hounds
Rex:
Initiative
Initiative: 1d20: 1d20: [4] = 4

Actions performed not necessarily in this order

Action 1: Reserved for Dodge
Action 2: Strike: Head Lasers: 1d20+2: [17]+2 = 19 , Damage – MDC (4D4): 4d4: [1, 3, 2, 2] = 8
Action 3: Strike: Head Lasers: 1d20+2: [10]+2 = 12 , Damage – MDC (4D4): 4d4: [2, 4, 2, 3] = 11
Action 4: Strike: Head Lasers: 1d20+2: [3]+2 = 5 , Damage – MDC (4D4): 4d4: [1, 4, 3, 2] = 10
Action 5: Strike: Head Lasers: 1d20+2: [4]+2 = 6 , Damage – MDC (4D4): 4d4: [2, 3, 2, 3] = 10
Action 6: Strike: Head Lasers: 1d20+2: [10]+2 = 12 , Damage – MDC (4D4): 4d4: [3, 2, 2, 2] = 9

Parries/Dodges
Parries (+1 included): 1d20+1: [18]+1 = 19 , 1d20+1: [13]+1 = 14 , 1d20+1: [15]+1 = 16 , 1d20+1: [12]+1 = 13 , 1d20+1: [9]+1 = 10
Dodges (+4 included): 1d20+4: [3]+4 = 7 , 1d20+4: [1]+4 = 5 , 1d20+4: [11]+4 = 15 , 1d20+4: [19]+4 = 23 , 1d20+4: [12]+4 = 16

Nora:
Initiative
Initiative: 1d20: 1d20: [19] = 19

Actions performed not necessarily in this order

Action 1: Reserved for Dodge
Action 2: Strike: Head Lasers: 1d20+2: [9]+2 = 11 , Damage – MDC (4D4): 4d4: [4, 3, 1, 4] = 12
Action 3: Strike: Head Lasers: 1d20+2: [9]+2 = 11 , Damage – MDC (4D4): 4d4: [1, 4, 1, 2] = 8
Action 4: Strike: Head Lasers: 1d20+2: [5]+2 = 7 , Damage – MDC (4D4): 4d4: [2, 4, 2, 1] = 9
Action 5: Strike: Head Lasers: 1d20+2: [3]+2 = 5 , Damage – MDC (4D4): 4d4: [2, 4, 1, 4] = 11
Action 6: Strike: Head Lasers: 1d20+2: [13]+2 = 15 , Damage – MDC (4D4): 4d4: [4, 1, 4, 1] = 10

Parries/Dodges
Parries (+1 included): 1d20+1: [12]+1 = 13 , 1d20+1: [16]+1 = 17 , 1d20+1: [10]+1 = 11 , 1d20+1: [7]+1 = 8 , 1d20+1: [20]+1 = 21
Dodges (+4 included): 1d20+4: [18]+4 = 22 , 1d20+4: [9]+4 = 13 , 1d20+4: [11]+4 = 15 , 1d20+4: [16]+4 = 20 , 1d20+4: [3]+4 = 7
Liam Marconi
Posts: 109
Joined: Mon Dec 05, 2022 8:21 am

Re: Hold Back the Night. Chapter 4.

Post by Liam Marconi »

Perception (24% - Normal Zone): 1d100: [8] = 8
JIC (d20/d%): 1d20: [5] = 5 / 1d100: [57] = 57
Falcon comes around to the back of the truck with Shepard after inspecting the vehicle. Well, all I could see is minor damage, so fingers crossed. Seeing Marconi finishing up his inspection, ”Hey Marconi, we have anything interesting in there?”
Marconi comments to the others, "Fortunately, we have thermal gear here, if we need it. I guess we should expect crazy weather, on top of everything else."
The radio pings again as Falcon and Shepard discuss following the missing units. Captain Fairmont’s voice cracks through the static. “STD 8, 9, 10, or any NEMA personnel … can hear this. Return to … …voy’s … position if you ar. .. le. If you can’t, hold …. …ition. Sear.. … ..scue ….. are deployed. We ar …… …. You.”
He glances out the window at the blizzard outside, and comments, "That actually sounds like a reasonable suggestion, but you are the Boss, Falcon. Do we hunker down here, try to make it back to the caravan, or see if we can follow the rest of the convoy?"

He reflects that, had he been near one of the strange energy lines, he would have known bad weather was coming. Well, he THINKS he would, he is not certain his strange senses tell him about relatively normal weather like this.
Post Reply

Return to “Adventure Forum”