First Rules Discussion (Called Shots)

Reactor online, sensors online, weapons online. All systems nominal.
GM: Sum of All Fears
AGM: N/A
Sum of All Fears
Dimension Master

First Rules Discussion (Called Shots)

Post by Sum of All Fears »

Ok. In looking for the Called Shot rules I found them in the BattleTech Tactical operations Advanced Rules 6th edition page 76.

RAW is a flat +3 to the base Target Number of the attack. Several people have voiced concern this is too easy to achieve. I personally agree there should be a balancing of this. While +3 is steep in the early game as you go on this becomes less of an issue. Given how easy it would be for both sides to constantly call for head shots it would quickly devolve into many dead characters.

Please make any rules proposals as a response to this thread.
BattleTech DM / Megaversal Arena Coordinator

"Any problem can be solved with the judicious application of high explosives."

Other Accounts: Wolf Whitaker (Roughnecks PC); Keiko (H4H PC); Talon (PW: GA); Nyx Tempest (PW: CAF)
Jackson Cooper

Re: First Rules Discussion (Called Shots)

Post by Jackson Cooper »

So, I did a bit of looking around and it looks like called shots are a thing in the RPG. In tabletop, you can only make called shots when the target is immobile. Also, apparently, if you have a targeting computer, you can target specific locations on a mech as well. One modification that seemed interesting was that rather than targeting a specific point on a mech, you could target areas of the mech. For example, you could aim high, low, or to the sides, albeit with steep accuracy penalties. It seems that the in-universe explanation is that targeting systems aren't advanced enough to target specific systems.

I think it might be a nice compromise to allow called shots to areas of the mech rather than a specific point. We could try keeping the +3 penalty for now as I believe the +3 is just to see if it hits, then apparently there should be another roll to see if you actually hit the intended area. If the enemy mech has moved, it should probably be even more difficult.

What do you guys think?
Daisuke
Diamond Level Patron

Post by Daisuke »

After reading Called Shot rules in TO pg 76, I think RAW should be sufficient.

As detailed here, the +3 TN allows you to target areas (also as Jackson Cooper suggested), upper or lower, one hex side to the left or right... requiring a roll on modified hit location table. Since it does not target a specific hit location (i.e. head), that doesn't make it as likely to consistently head-shot.

And as the reddit thread answers also indicate, there is a SPA for targeting specific hit locations, Marksman, that requires stationary and allowance of only firing one weapon at said target. This will require pre-requisites to be met and XP to be spent to attain this ability.

I am personally satisfied with RAW and no longer see a need for modifications. There is no need to try to make the RPG more similar to the video game (where you could spend your morale pips to target specific hit locations allowing for alpha strike at head with one's fingers crossed that enough would get through to one-shot any mech).
Sum of All Fears
Dimension Master

Post by Sum of All Fears »

Ok. Looks like this was addressed well in the reddit thread.

We will be running with the following as the ruling for "Called Shots"

1. Can only be used on an immobile opponent.
2. Attacker must also be stationary.
3. Called Shot will be a three section area of possible hit zone. (Example: LT,LL,LA)
4. A 3 point penalty will be assessed to the attackers attack roll.
5. Only one weapon can be used to attack the called area.
BattleTech DM / Megaversal Arena Coordinator

"Any problem can be solved with the judicious application of high explosives."

Other Accounts: Wolf Whitaker (Roughnecks PC); Keiko (H4H PC); Talon (PW: GA); Nyx Tempest (PW: CAF)

Return to “The Mech Bay: Rules & Info”