Hold Back the Night. Chapter 3.

Where Chaos Earth adventures take place.
Post Reply
User avatar
Myth and Jest
Dimension Master
Posts: 96
Joined: Mon Nov 28, 2022 10:42 am
Location: Chaos Earth DM

Hold Back the Night. Chapter 3.

Post by Myth and Jest »

Hold Back the Night. Chp. Three
05:30 - 29 December – Convoy Camp Indianapolis

Staff Sergeant Falcon steps out of the tent into the pre-dawn darkness. Steadily falling snow and ash appear in the beams of the camp's lights as the beams sway in the wind. He shivers, and his breath becomes vapor as he exhales into the winter air. A faint sweet-sour stench fills his nose as he breathes in and recognizes the dead's odor. The graveyard of civilization is all around, buried within the rubble and ruins, deep enough to prevent freezing, so far, but shallow enough for the decomposition to reach the air. Everywhere the convoy travels, everywhere he steps, is someone's grave. Only the surrounding darkness contrasting against the stark glow of the camp's lighting hides the ruined landscape. Soon, even those buried beneath the rubble will freeze in this long winter. His comm unit pings for his attention, and the snow crunches under his boots as he shifts his helmet to the crook of his arm.

< -- Attention: Transferred to Civilian Refugee Transport Command. Assignment: Unit Commander of Civilian Transport Truck 27. Robot Dog units to return to Robotic Maintenance Command. -- >

Further reading shows that a Lieutenant First Class, his new commanding officer, signed the orders before he forcefully thumbs the unit off without reading the commander's name.

Marconi seals his newly issued armored vest, pulls on his long jacket as he steps out of the tent, and switches the tent's setting to disassemble and store. The tent begins to unfold by itself as Marconi stands beside Falcon. The smell of decay is much more pungent for Marconi as he doesn't have cybernetic filtering lungs. He can taste the dead and ash in the air and almost gags. His comm unit also beeps and displays his new assignment.

< -- Attention: Transferred to Civilian Refugee Transport Command. Assignment: Driver of Civilian Transport Truck 27. -- >

They've been demoted reassigned to the CRTC. Marconi looks at the orders and realizes they've missed the assigned rendezvous time.

***********

Charles Dunscon stands next to Truck 27, his group's assigned transport, and checks his watch for the twentieth time in the past few minutes. The activity around the convoy is picking up as drivers enter their neatly aligned trucks. As late refugees run to their assigned groups, the sound of engines rumbling to life fills the cold morning air. The scrambling crowd looks like chaos, but after several days of travel, everyone knows the routine, except for his group of orphaned kids, teens mostly of various ages, who are always late to form up in the mornings. Fortunately, he knew most of his group before the cataclysm from the homeless shelter he worked at. Most of his kids are good, just screwed over by life, though one or two need a closer eye. Being a teenager is tough enough without the world literally being torn out from beneath your feet.

Further down the line, the first civilian transport truck rolls out from its parked position and is followed by another. Dunscon is still missing six from his group, the older bunch of teens paired into couples who always look for the secluded parts of camp at night. It might be the end of civilization, but hormones are hormones, teens are teens, and biology always has a pull. Nothing he hasn't dealt with before, but the teens usually show up in time for departure. Not today. His kids are missing. He looks into the trucks, counting heads for the hundredth time, and sees Brody, a fourteen-year-old who constantly follows the older bunch, nervously looking away as if the kid has something to hide. Luckily, it seems his truck drivers are late as well, so there might be time to find his missing teenagers. He looks back at the forming truck line to see two NEMA soldiers approaching him. One of the soldiers wears full NEMA body armor and has cybernetic eyes, which is unusual compared to the previous escorts. The other man wears a mismatch of civilian, National Guard, and NEMA gear. It looks like his truck's escorts have arrived, and he is out of time.

***********

Falcon and Marconi approach their assigned vehicle at the rear of the civilian convoy trucks. A nervous-looking man of Indian descent stands at the back of the truck, eyeing them as they approach. Their comm units ping, and a voice calls out over each of their radios and a loudspeaker. "Attention, Civilian Transports, we are about to depart. Unit Commanders, check in with your truck's status."
User avatar
Falcon
Posts: 77
Joined: Thu Dec 29, 2022 1:13 pm

Re: Hold Back the Night. Chapter 3.

Post by Falcon »

Perception: 18% / 1d100: [23] = 23
JIC: 1d20: [19] = 19 / 1d100: [84] = 84
+2 v HF, +2 v Lethal/Non-lethal Toxins, +6% vs Coma/Death, +2 vs Magic, +2 vs Insanity, +2 vs Psionics
M&J wrote:he steps out of the tent, and switches the tent's setting to disassemble and store. The tent begins to unfold by itself as Marconi stands beside Falcon…They've been demoted reassigned to the CRTC. Marconi looks at the orders and realizes they've missed the assigned rendezvous time.
Falcon picks up the packed tent and stores it in its place in his cycle’s saddlebags. F@%&ing Gomez. We save her daughter and take down a MAJOR threat and get babysitting duty.

He then looks to Marconi. ”Come on. It appears we are late.” Mounting the bike and before putting on his helmet. ”You can ride bitch this time, but don’t get excited.”
M&J wrote:Falcon and Marconi approach their assigned vehicle at the rear of the civilian convoy trucks. A nervous-looking man of Indian descent stands at the back of the truck, eyeing them as they approach. Their comm units ping, and a voice calls out over each of their radios and a loudspeaker. "Attention, Civilian Transports, we are about to depart. Unit Commanders, check in with your truck's status."
Falcon pulls the bike up next to their assigned truck and eyes (sort of) the man standing at the back. Well, at least they didn’t leave without us.

As Marconi dismounts the cycle Falcon looks to him. ”So, you are the driver? I’ll ride out here, keep an eye. We need to find someone in your…our group to ride shotgun with you.

Again, Falcon eyes the man standing at the back of the truck. He looks in charge.


In case of violence: Initiative +4 (+5 w/rifles)
Initiative: 1d20+5: 1d20+5: [14]+5 = 19


Actions performed not necessarily in this order

Action 1: Reserved for Dodge/vehicle maneuver
Action 2: Reserved for Dodge/vehicle maneuver
Action 3: Strike: Rifle 1d20+9: [19]+9 = 28 , Damage - SDC (5D6): 5d6: [1, 6, 4, 4, 1] = 16 , Damage - MDC (3D6): 3d6: [6, 2, 6] = 14
Action 4: Strike: Rifle 1d20+9: [3]+9 = 12 , Damage - SDC (5D6): 5d6: [1, 3, 3, 2, 3] = 12 , Damage - MDC (3D6): 3d6: [4, 2, 3] = 9
Action 5: Strike: Rifle 1d20+9: [8]+9 = 17 , Damage - SDC (5D6): 5d6: [2, 1, 6, 3, 5] = 17 , Damage - MDC (3D6): 3d6: [1, 4, 3] = 8
Action 6: Strike: Rifle 1d20+9: [15]+9 = 24 , Damage - SDC (5D6): 5d6: [5, 4, 1, 2, 1] = 13 , Damage - MDC (3D6): 3d6: [6, 4, 2] = 12

Parries (+8 included): 1d20+8: [11]+8 = 19 , 1d20+8: [16]+8 = 24 , 1d20+8: [10]+8 = 18 , 1d20+8: [3]+8 = 11 , 1d20+8: [19]+8 = 27
User avatar
CC_Dunscon
Posts: 13
Joined: Sun Mar 10, 2024 11:35 am

Re: Hold Back the Night. Chapter 3.

Post by CC_Dunscon »

Per: 1d100 < 28%: [97] = 97
JIC: 1d20: [11] = 11 | 1d100: [85] = 85
M&J wrote: Further down the line, the first civilian transport truck rolls out from its parked position and is followed by another. Dunscon is still missing six from his group, the older bunch of teens paired into couples who always look for the secluded parts of camp at night. It might be the end of civilization, but hormones are hormones, teens are teens, and biology always has a pull. Nothing he hasn't dealt with before, but the teens usually show up in time for departure. Not today. His kids are missing. He looks into the trucks, counting heads for the hundredth time, and sees Brody, a fourteen-year-old who constantly follows the older bunch, nervously looking away as if the kid has something to hide. Luckily, it seems his truck drivers are late as well, so there might be time to find his missing teenagers. He looks back at the forming truck line to see two NEMA soldiers approaching him. One of the soldiers wears full NEMA body armor and has cybernetic eyes, which is unusual compared to the previous escorts. The other man wears a mismatch of civilian, National Guard, and NEMA gear. It looks like his truck's escorts have arrived, and he is out of time.
Jesus H Christ. Where are the dirty dozen? Did I not impart to these fucking runts the importance of being on time? Like they wouldn't fucking wait for us?

Wait a fucking second. Brody is here. He's normally too cool for the younger kids. Motherfucker. Why is he keeping his eyes low?

Chuck takes three steps towards Brody. Suddenly, he sees two soldiers walking towards him. One looks like he is already augmented. Well he looks like an expensive investment. The other guy looks like he came in from the reserves in a hurry and got whatever gear he can. Game plan: Address them both gratefully. I need to stall them or get them to stall command for me while I get some answers out of Brody. Then I need to find the other kids before something really bad happens to them.

Wearing his best smile, Chuck keeps a side way glance to make sure Brody doesn't run off somewhere while he approaches the duo.

Turning on the charm, he says:
"Good morning sirs. Thanks for taking care of us today. I am Chuck. I am looking after some kids on this convoy. How should I address you. If you may onform which one of you is the unit commander, I can go ahead and inform the kids to pay special attention to your commands."

Chuck extends his hand to shake, first towards Falcon, then Marconi.

1d100 < 75: [87] = 87 (rolling for trust) FAIL

1d100 < 30: [85] = 85 (rolling for charm) FAIL
Chuckles' Sheet
PPE: 34
HP: 28
SDC: 63
Charm/Impress: 30%
Trust/Intimidate: 75%
Liam Marconi
Posts: 95
Joined: Mon Dec 05, 2022 8:21 am

Re: Hold Back the Night. Chapter 3.

Post by Liam Marconi »

Perception (24% - normal): 1d100: [73] = 73
JIC (d20/d%): 1d20: [4] = 4 / 1d100: [91] = 91
[b]
05:30 - 29 December – Convoy Camp Indianapolis
[/b]

Liam Marconi checks his comm unit when it pings and frowns, wondering, Why on earth are we only being informed of this NOW, when it is already late?

He quickly scrambles into his gear, which is mostly bits and pieces fitted together. His gear having been destroyed twice in less than a week makes him less than a favorite person with the quartermaster. As soon as his tent finishes self-packing he collects it and starts heading to the assigned transport.

He hopes that THIS time they do not wind up fighting demons or giant spiders at least.

He accepts the ride from Falcon and comments, "I get he feeling someone is not happy with us and waited until the last possible second to notify us."

When they arrive, Liam salutes the driver, "Militia PFC Marconi reporting for duty sir. Respectfully, Sergeant Falcon is in charge."

He will accept the handshake and then look around and asks, "Where is the rest of your group? I have heard all of the trucks are fully loaded, if not overloaded with the other people joining us."
User avatar
Falcon
Posts: 77
Joined: Thu Dec 29, 2022 1:13 pm

Re: Hold Back the Night. Chapter 3.

Post by Falcon »

(Rolls Carry Over)
CC_Dunscon wrote: Turning on the charm, he says:
"Good morning sirs. Thanks for taking care of us today. I am Chuck. I am looking after some kids on this convoy. How should I address you. If you may onform which one of you is the unit commander, I can go ahead and inform the kids to pay special attention to your commands."

Chuck extends his hand to shake, first towards Falcon, then Marconi.
Marconi wrote: When they arrive, Liam salutes the driver, "Militia PFC Marconi reporting for duty sir. Respectfully, Sergeant Falcon is in charge."

He will accept the handshake and then look around and asks, "Where is the rest of your group? I have heard all of the trucks are fully loaded, if not overloaded with the other people joining us."
Falcon looks to the gaggle of civilians behind the one who addressed them and shakes his head. Upon hearing Marconi introduce himself as ‘Militia PFC’ Falcon turns to address him. ”I meant to talk to you about that Marconi. I don’t think there is Militia, NEMA, or regular military anymore. Also, when on my team you can consider yourself Corporal Marconi. That makes you an NCO and in charge as well. I put in the paperwork after you saved 1st Sgt Gomez, but it hasn’t gotten back yet.” Let’s see what the new guy makes of that. I need the civilians to respect and listen to Marconi, not view him as an underling.

As Marconi dismounts and after he introduces himself Falcon will get his own handshake. ”Staff Sergeant Macher, but you can call me Falcon. You say you are looking after the kids, so they know you. I plan to use that until they know us, so we need to work together. If you do what Marconi and I say, then the kids do what you say, that means they are doing what we say with less fuss. Does that track?? Also, if you can drive this rig, Marconi will sit shotgun and I will stay on the bike. Give us a little extra security.” Realizing that this is more than he usually says in one go, Falcon dismounts the bike and begins to inspect the truck. He keeps his cybernetic ears open listening to both what Chuck and Marconi say, but also to what the civilians might be whispering or talking about. People forget that intel isn’t all "James Bond 007, The Man with the Titanium Laser Pistol". Most of it is just being attentive to what is going around you. That, and people forget they can be overheard when it is not directly in front of them.
User avatar
CC_Dunscon
Posts: 13
Joined: Sun Mar 10, 2024 11:35 am

Re: Hold Back the Night. Chapter 3.

Post by CC_Dunscon »

(Rolls held over)
Marconi wrote: He will accept the handshake and then look around and asks, "Where is the rest of your group? I have heard all of the trucks are fully loaded, if not overloaded with the other people joining us."
"Corporal, most of my group are gathered here. Six kids are missing. I need about to interrogate a youngling since he is most likely to know where they were last night."
Falcon wrote: As Marconi dismounts and after he introduces himself Falcon will get his own handshake. ”Staff Sergeant Macher, but you can call me Falcon. You say you are looking after the kids, so they know you. I plan to use that until they know us, so we need to work together. If you do what Marconi and I say, then the kids do what you say, that means they are doing what we say with less fuss. Does that track?? Also, if you can drive this rig, Marconi will sit shotgun and I will stay on the bike. Give us a little extra security.” Realizing that this is more than he usually says in one go, Falcon dismounts the bike and begins to inspect the truck. He keeps his cybernetic ears open listening to both what Chuck and Marconi say, but also to what the civilians might be whispering or talking about. People forget that intel isn’t all "James Bond 007, The Man with the Titanium Laser Pistol". Most of it is just being attentive to what is going around you. That, and people forget they can be overheard when it is not directly in front of them.
"Staff Sergeant, I have no issue with how you want things done. I will just address both of you by title so my kids follow suit. I can drive most things. I don't think I can parallel park this, but I should be able to keep it on the highway. I've also lived in Indianapolis for about 10 years."

"I need a favor. These kids have nobody. I am all they have. How long can you stall the departure while I look for them?"
Chuckles' Sheet
PPE: 34
HP: 28
SDC: 63
Charm/Impress: 30%
Trust/Intimidate: 75%
Liam Marconi
Posts: 95
Joined: Mon Dec 05, 2022 8:21 am

Re: Hold Back the Night. Chapter 3.

Post by Liam Marconi »

(Rolls Held over)
Marconi says, "There are dangers out there I doubt you would believe. This convoy has to stay together for mutual defense, so Falcon is right that we can not delay and risk the rest. That said, we can do what we can to find the missing and get them back before the truck has to go. We have done as much before...and gotten in trouble for it. The latter is why I doubt the promotion will go through."

While he has, somehow, managed to get OUT of trouble every time so far, the fact that he gets INTO it is not likely to be overlooked.

He continues, "Find out what is going on and let's try to recover the kids. Hopefully it goes better than the last two rescues we tried."
User avatar
CC_Dunscon
Posts: 13
Joined: Sun Mar 10, 2024 11:35 am

Re: Hold Back the Night. Chapter 3.

Post by CC_Dunscon »

(rolls held over)
Marconi wrote: Marconi says, "There are dangers out there I doubt you would believe. This convoy has to stay together for mutual defense, so Falcon is right that we can not delay and risk the rest. That said, we can do what we can to find the missing and get them back before the truck has to go. We have done as much before...and gotten in trouble for it. The latter is why I doubt the promotion will go through."
"Corporal, I understand. I walked part of the way back here from Evansville last week. The world is not a pretty place. Let me go talk to the kid. I guess I'll have a better idea on what to do after that."

Without further ado, Chuck heads inside the bus and to locate Brody.

(move the conversation to the bottom post. That's why the spare dice roll popped up)
Dice rolls
1d100 < 75%: [8] = 8
Last edited by CC_Dunscon on Mon Mar 18, 2024 11:22 am, edited 2 times in total.
Chuckles' Sheet
PPE: 34
HP: 28
SDC: 63
Charm/Impress: 30%
Trust/Intimidate: 75%
User avatar
Falcon
Posts: 77
Joined: Thu Dec 29, 2022 1:13 pm

Re: Hold Back the Night. Chapter 3.

Post by Falcon »

(Rolls Carry Over)
Dunscon wrote: "Corporal, most of my group are gathered here. Six kids are missing. I need about to interrogate a youngling since he is most likely to know where they were last night."…. "I need a favor. These kids have nobody. I am all they have. How long can you stall the departure while I look for them?"…. "Corporal, I understand. I walked part of the way back here from Evansville last week. The world is not a pretty place. Let me go talk to the kid. I guess I'll have a better idea on what to do after that."
Hearing the conversation, Falcon makes his way back to Marconi and Chuck. And this is why I never want to have kids. He then addresses Chuck before he walks off. "Well Chuckles, Marconi is right, we can only stay until the last refugee vehicle pulls out. We have to stay in some sort of formation. Where do you think they may have gone? I can get my drones in the air while you get more info.”

Once Chuck gives him a few hints Falcon makes his way to the bike and releases one of the Flying Drones from its recharging housing and sends it into the air. He then gestures to Marconi to come closer and lowers his voice. "I don’t know what is going on right now, but I do know command needs us more than we need them at this point. We have successfully survived two major encounters intact, mostly. That said, if we need to, you and I can survive on our own. It won’t be nice, but we can do it.”
User avatar
CC_Dunscon
Posts: 13
Joined: Sun Mar 10, 2024 11:35 am

Re: Hold Back the Night. Chapter 3.

Post by CC_Dunscon »

(rolls held over)
Falcon wrote: Hearing the conversation, Falcon makes his way back to Marconi and Chuck. And this is why I never want to have kids. He then addresses Chuck before he walks off. "Well Chuckles, Marconi is right, we can only stay until the last refugee vehicle pulls out. We have to stay in some sort of formation. Where do you think they may have gone? I can get my drones in the air while you get more info.”
Stopping to answer questions, Chuck says to Falcon while staying composed:

"Aight, I'm gonna go get some answers and I'll have an eta for you in 2 minutes."

"Why don't you start to prep your drones. This probably wouldn't take long."

With that, Chuck goes to find Brody. As he approaches the kid, Chuck tries to put on a weak smile. He doesn't want to connote anger or anxiety.

Sitting down next to him, he says:

"My man, I really need your help here. Where did you friends take off to last night? They aren't here. If I don't find them in the next 15 minutes we are going to have to leave them behind. You're not in trouble. I need to find those kids. Where did you last see them? Were they okay?"

Chuck uses his nicest, most persuasive tone on Brody. Let's try the carrot first. Trust/Intimidate 1d100<75% [8] PASS
Chuckles' Sheet
PPE: 34
HP: 28
SDC: 63
Charm/Impress: 30%
Trust/Intimidate: 75%
User avatar
Myth and Jest
Dimension Master
Posts: 96
Joined: Mon Nov 28, 2022 10:42 am
Location: Chaos Earth DM

Re: Hold Back the Night. Chapter 3.

Post by Myth and Jest »

05:35 - 29 December – Convoy Camp Indianapolis

Falcon's comm unit pings a new message as he sets up his drones.

< -- SSG Macher. Contact your Commanding Officer immediately with the status of your unit. -- >

******
CC_Dunscon wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 11:20 am
"My man, I really need your help here. Where did you friends take off to last night? They aren't here. If I don't find them in the next 15 minutes we are going to have to leave them behind. You're not in trouble. I need to find those kids. Where did you last see them? Were they okay?"

Chuck uses his nicest, most persuasive tone on Brody.
Brody seems to deflate when asked about the missing older teens.

"They went outside the camp to that building overlooking the blue wall thing." Brody's voice cracks and raises a pitch. "I told them not to go. The buildings are unstable; don't get close to the blue wall, but they wouldn't listen!" The kid's voice cracks again, and he is about to hyperventilate into a panic attack.

The building, an abandoned apartment highrise on the verge of collapse, sits southwest of the camp and forms a barrier between the camp and the blue energy field. It's a quick walk from the forming convoy.

******
Marconi feels an itch inside his mind pulling him to look across the ruins towards a standing highrise and the wall of energy hidden behind it.

******
Please Note
Please note, I went back on being near the Blue Zone. The camp is just outside of any benefits of being near a blue zone, but the building is within that range.
User avatar
CC_Dunscon
Posts: 13
Joined: Sun Mar 10, 2024 11:35 am

Re: Hold Back the Night. Chapter 3.

Post by CC_Dunscon »

Per: 1d100 < 28%: [27] = 27
JIC: 1d20: [11] = 11 | 1d100: [42] = 42
M&J wrote: Brody seems to deflate when asked about the missing older teens.

"They went outside the camp to that building overlooking the blue wall thing." Brody's voice cracks and raises a pitch. "I told them not to go. The buildings are unstable; don't get close to the blue wall, but they wouldn't listen!" The kid's voice cracks again, and he is about to hyperventilate into a panic attack.
"Thanks Brody. I really appreciate it."

Looking around the cabin of the transport, Chuck looks for the most responsible and respected member of the children and left and says:

"Hey guys, I need you to stay here while I go look for our dirty half dozen. They decided to wander off and haven't came back yet. I'm gonna ask the kind soldiers outside to dispatch some drones and look for them. Meanwhile, I need you guys to stay here on the transport. Nobody leaves for anything, no matter what. Okay? I'm gonna put <Matt> in charge. Matt, make sure they behave themselves. We will be back in 15-20 minutes."

"Brody, thanks for helping me out again.". He gently reaches out with a fist to dap up the kid. "Don't worry, we're gonna get out of all this!"

Without further ado, Chuck leaves the transport and closes the loading doors behind him. Waving to Falcon and Marconi, he says:

"Kids are in a building overlooking the blue wall. I've seen it. It's an abandoned apartment complex. It sits southwest of the camp and forms a barrier between the camp and the blue energy field. It's not far from here. I'm gonna go over there and get them, since I know what they look like and they know my voice. I've already instructed the kids on the convoy to stay put, in the vehicle no matter what. I think they should comply. I appreciate the help and I totally understand if you don't want to come."

If Falcon wants to man the drones from the bus, Chuck will ask for a radio. "Let's keep in contact. Your sensors are probably a lot more sensitive to the darkness than I am. Got an extra radio?".

Should Falcon or Marconi want to come along, Chuck will volunteer to take point and scout a bit ahead. "You guys have thermal imaging on your armor right? You should be able to see me with hat."

Chuck steps away from the bus and moves a but further away. Once he is far enough from the convoy notnto draw attention, he makes sure he is not within the sightlines of any of the vehciles lights.

Then, Chuck concentrates and stares into the nearest large shadow. Casting Shadow Meld on himself (-5 PPE, +15% to prowl, Opponents -5 to strike), he waits for the spell to envelop him in darkness. Hope this works!. The he casts Lookout on himself as well, just so he is a bit more attentive to the environment of the night (-4 PPE, Self or tch, 2 hours, Keep individual awake and alert to sus sounds and activities. +1 to init, +2 to save vs magic/psionics that induce sleep or attack the senses.)

If the spell is successful (enough), he will move at a considered pace towards the building in question. If he can, he will jump from shadow to shadow, to move more expeditiously, without losing the cover of night.
OOC Comments
move faster but not too fast as to jump out of prowl mode
Prowl 1d100 < 54%: [4] = 4 (+15% if shadow meld works)

Present conditions (-9 PPE, Attempted Shadow Meld and Attempted Look Out. GM please adjudicate effects)
Last edited by CC_Dunscon on Wed Mar 20, 2024 6:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Chuckles' Sheet
PPE: 34
HP: 28
SDC: 63
Charm/Impress: 30%
Trust/Intimidate: 75%
User avatar
Falcon
Posts: 77
Joined: Thu Dec 29, 2022 1:13 pm

Re: Hold Back the Night. Chapter 3.

Post by Falcon »

OOC Comments
Perception: 18% / 1d100: [61] = 61
JIC: 1d20: [10] = 10 / 1d100: [81] = 81
+2 v HF, +2 v Lethal/Non-lethal Toxins, +6% vs Coma/Death, +2 vs Magic, +2 vs Insanity, +2 vs Psionics
M&J wrote: Brody seems to deflate when asked about the missing older teens.

"They went outside the camp to that building overlooking the blue wall thing." Brody's voice cracks and raises a pitch. "I told them not to go. The buildings are unstable; don't get close to the blue wall, but they wouldn't listen!" The kid's voice cracks again, and he is about to hyperventilate into a panic attack.
Listening to everything around them, Falcon makes sure to pay attention to the conversation going on between Chuckles and the boy.
OOC Comments
Amplified Hearing - 75' 1 Decibel, softer than a whisper - 150' 10 Decibels, same as a whisper
I will admit he has a decent handle on these kids. We can use kid gloves….for now.

Hearing this he types in final commands to the single flying drone he is dispatching. Do a sweep of these coordinates. Alert to any movement/heat signatures. If a threat is identified or you are engaged seek safe distance. As the drone silently takes flight he opens a small ‘picture in picture’ in his visor to monitor the drone’s sensors, not just video/thermal.
Dunscon wrote: "Hey guys, I need you to stay here while I go look for our dirty half dozen. They decided to wander off and haven't came back yet. I'm gonna ask the kind soldiers outside to dispatch some drones and look for them. Meanwhile, I need you guys to stay here on the transport. Nobody leaves for anything, no matter what. Okay? I'm gonna put <Matt> in charge. Matt, make sure they behave themselves. We will be back in 15-20 minutes.’


Hearing Chuckles assign Matt command of the kids Falcon takes another softball sized object from his bike’s storage compartment and begins to head towards the back of the truck. As Chuckles approaches, he pauses.
Dunscon wrote:"Kids are in a building overlooking the blue wall. I've seen it. It's an abandoned apartment complex. It sits southwest of the camp and forms a barrier between the camp and the blue energy field. It's not far from here. I'm gonna go over there and get them, since I know what they look like and they know my voice. I've already instructed the kids on the convoy to stay put, in the vehicle no matter what. I think they should comply. I appreciate the help and I totally understand if you don't want to come."
Falcon holds up an armored hand. Hold on a second, Chuckles. Marconi and I are trained soldiers, including search and rescue. You are a squishy. Did you forget Marconi and I are in charge of you….” He then gestures with his thumb towards the truck. "You are in charge of them. Wait here.” Time for a command and dramatic pause to emphasize that he waits on me. Hopefully he gets it.

Falcon continues to the back of the truck and sets the softball sized object on the bed and activates it. Several thin legs telescope from the body and it stands. He then gestures to Matt and to the drone. This is a Spider Drone. It operates on our frequency and can send both audio and video. It is programmed to stay here scanning the area. In the case of a threat, it will alert you and contact me. If you need to contact us, it will do so.” Falcon takes a moment so size up the boy and the rest of the group to see who is listening and who isn’t. ”Matt, Chuck seems to trust you. The chain of command right now goes me, Marconi, Chuck, you, and your second who you can choose. Choose well, not just your goof-off friend or F@$k buddy. If you choose poorly or your command goes to your head I will have Chuck designate a new command leader.” Falcon begins to turn away to allow the boy to make his choices and find his feet, then slowly turns back. ”Oh, if the last civilian transport begins to leave, you pick someone and the two of you drive and play shotgun and follow it. You don’t have to drive well, just stay behind the vehicle in front of you and don’t hit anything. No matter what, DO….NOT….STAY…BEHIND.” That said, Falcon turns to return to Chuckles and Marconi.

Not seeing Chuckles, he scans the area.


OOC Comments
In case of violence: Initiative +4 (+5 w/rifles)
Initiative: 1d20+5: 1d20+5: [13]+5 = 18

Actions performed not necessarily in this order

Action 1: Reserved for Dodge/vehicle maneuver
Action 2: Reserved for Dodge/vehicle maneuver
Action 3: Strike: Rifle 1d20+9: [9]+9 = 18 , Damage - SDC (5D6): 5d6: [4, 2, 5, 2, 2] = 15 , Damage - MDC (3D6): 3d6: [2, 3, 1] = 6
Action 4: Strike: Rifle 1d20+9: [12]+9 = 21 , Damage - SDC (5D6): 5d6: [2, 4, 4, 4, 3] = 17 , Damage - MDC (3D6): 3d6: [4, 6, 5] = 15
Action 5: Strike: Rifle 1d20+9: [14]+9 = 23 , Damage - SDC (5D6): 5d6: [4, 3, 3, 1, 6] = 17 , Damage - MDC (3D6): 3d6: [2, 5, 5] = 12
Action 6: Strike: Rifle 1d20+9: [16]+9 = 25 , Damage - SDC (5D6): 5d6: [5, 6, 2, 3, 6] = 22 , Damage - MDC (3D6): 3d6: [4, 3, 6] = 13

Parries (+8 included): 1d20+8: [3]+8 = 11 , 1d20+8: [17]+8 = 25 , 1d20+8: [3]+8 = 11 , 1d20+8: [2]+8 = 10 , 1d20+8: [1]+8 = 9
Dodges (+9 included): 1d20+9: [17]+9 = 26 , 1d20+9: [2]+9 = 11 , 1d20+9: [15]+9 = 24 , 1d20+9: [20]+9 = 29 , 1d20+9: [20]+9 = 29
Last edited by Falcon on Wed Mar 20, 2024 2:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Liam Marconi
Posts: 95
Joined: Mon Dec 05, 2022 8:21 am

Re: Hold Back the Night. Chapter 3.

Post by Liam Marconi »

Perception (48% - Blue Zone): 1d100: [67] = 67
JIC (d20/d%): 1d20: [9] = 9 / 1d100: [35] = 35

Liam has to agree, the children are more likely to respond to someone they know and trust than to him or Falcon, whom they would not know. He lets Falcon deal with it.

Liam is not sure what exactly is going on between the Sergeant and the Civilian, it appears the civilian is attempting to go on point, while Falcon is attempting to keep the civilian protected.

He is interested to learn there is a blue line nearby he had not been aware of. The Caravan must have been skirting the edge of his zone of awareness for some time.

Liam points out, "These blue lines can be highly unstable, being even this close is dangerous, even if the resonance has not opened an Einstein-Rosen bridge in the area"

As always, it takes a few seconds for Liam to process the information he is getting once his awareness expands due to the presence of the line and to figure out if there is any imminent problems. He will ask Chuck, (If he is visible) "Wait a moment, I can do something to help." He will put Armor of Ithan on Chuck to help defend him in case of trouble.

He points at the high-rise, "I suspect that is where the children are to be found."
User avatar
Falcon
Posts: 77
Joined: Thu Dec 29, 2022 1:13 pm

Re: Hold Back the Night. Chapter 3.

Post by Falcon »

Trust/Intimidate (25%): 1d100: [27] = 27
User avatar
Myth and Jest
Dimension Master
Posts: 96
Joined: Mon Nov 28, 2022 10:42 am
Location: Chaos Earth DM

Re: Hold Back the Night. Chapter 3.

Post by Myth and Jest »

05:37 - 29 December – Convoy Camp Indianapolis

Chuck steps into the shadows and draws energy from a place he hadn’t known existed a week ago. As the mystical source builds in his mind, he concentrates on the outcome he desires to become reality until, at the right moment, he releases it into the world. The spell works perfectly. He shifts into the shadows as if becoming one with them, and his mind sharpens to the sights and sounds of the pre-dawn darkness. He moves forward, slowly prowling to remain hidden, and realizes something is wrong. His perception of the world has changed; it looks similar but different in a confusing way. His body has transformed into something else.
OOC Comments
OOC – According to the Mystical Mayhem Table, Chuck has transformed into a harmless animal for one minute. Similar to the Metamorphosis: Animal spell. Please choose what animal Chuck transforms into.
Falcon hands the spider drone to Matt, a skinny bean-pole of a fourteen-year-old. The kid tries to hold back a smile with pride and attempts to salute Falcon but almost drops the drone before catching it. “Yes Sir. Sergeant Falcon. Sir!” The other children appear calm and more interested in the drone than the strange man.

A small part of his display shows the flying drone zip across the distance to the highrise and begin scanning for any sign of the six missing teens.

Marconi turns to Chuck, intending to cast a protection spell, but the man has disappeared. He was standing there one second, and the next, he was gone. It couldn’t have been more than a blink of an eye. Another civilian is now missing.

Falcon turns to Chuck as Marconi points out the highrise, and he realizes Chuck is missing. The man doesn’t appear on the visual scan, but a heat source shows on the infrared thermals a short way toward the building. It isn’t human.
OOC Comments
OOC – This heat source is Chuck in his transformed animal body, which Bertrand will choose in his post.
Marconi hears something soft just at the edge of his senses. The sound is almost like speech, but he can’t make it out. Suddenly, his and Falcon’s comm unit pings with an incoming call labeled Lieutenant Davidson, Commander of the CRT, their new boss.
Liam Marconi
Posts: 95
Joined: Mon Dec 05, 2022 8:21 am

Re: Hold Back the Night. Chapter 3.

Post by Liam Marconi »

Perception (48% - Blue Zone): 1d100: [8] = 8
JIC (d20/d%): 1d20: [20] = 20 / 1d100: [62] = 62

Liam frowns at the subliminal sound, he is sure he hears something but can not make it out. He looks around and can not see Chuck.

Liam comments, "Whatever else he may be, the man is remarkably good at disappearing. We should keep heading for the children, perhaps he will join us there."

He will answer the call, "Private Marconi reporting."
Dice rolls
1d100: [55] = 55
1d20: [9] = 9
1d100: [33] = 33
User avatar
CC_Dunscon
Posts: 13
Joined: Sun Mar 10, 2024 11:35 am

Re: Hold Back the Night. Chapter 3.

Post by CC_Dunscon »

Per: 1d100 < 28%: [50] = 50
JIC: 1d20: [3] = 3 | 1d100: [23] = 23
Within 1000 feet of blue zone: 99 MDC, Can channel up to 15PPE/lvl/Action.

Conditions:
Shadow Meld (-5 PPE), 32 melees
This unique magic enables the spell caster to step into shadows, be­ coming totally invisible, even to a "See the Invisible" spell. The shadow must be at least five feet ( 1 .5 m) tall or long to become an ef­fective hiding place. The shadow serves as a superior means of hiding or moving unseen. The mage can move, walk, or run through the length of shadow or from shadow to shadow. While in shadow/darkness, the character prowls at a 60% proficiency (or at + 15% to normal skill, whichever is higher). Intense light will dispel the shadow, leaving the mage revealed. Of course, sanctuary can be found by fleeing into another shadow. Feeble light, less than 10 torches or 300 watts, will only create more shadows. While hidden in shadow, the character is still susceptible to magic, psionic and physical attacks, although attackers are -5 to strike him (be­cause they can not see him). Area effect magic does not suffer any pen­alty. Infrared/thermal-optics are the only means that can be used to see somebody in a shadow

Look Out (-4 PPE), 4 hours.
This spell works to keep the individual wide awake and alert to suspicious sounds and activity; no chance of falling asleep. Bonuses: +1 on initiative, +2 to save vs magic or psionics that induce sleep or attack the senses. P. 40 Rise of Magic SB

M&J wrote: Chuck steps into the shadows and draws energy from a place he hadn’t known existed a week ago. As the mystical source builds in his mind, he concentrates on the outcome he desires to become reality until, at the right moment, he releases it into the world. The spell works perfectly. He shifts into the shadows as if becoming one with them, and his mind sharpens to the sights and sounds of the pre-dawn darkness. He moves forward, slowly prowling to remain hidden, and realizes something is wrong. His perception of the world has changed; it looks similar but different in a confusing way. His body has transformed into something else.
Chuck becomes a grey and silver haired monkey

Hrmn this is different, why am I so low to the ground? No matter, let's get to the building!

Making a brisk but deliberate pace, Chuck the monkey heads towards the apartment building. As he is within range of the Blue Zone, he feels a flurry of strength flood his body. Yeap, we're near a magic zone alright. Let's be careful of the going abouts here.

Man this thing is about to fall over... Gotta be careful.
M&J wrote: A small part of his display shows the flying drone zip across the distance to the highrise and begin scanning for any sign of the six missing teens.
Looking up, he sees one of the drones buzzing the building.

Good, they are helping. Let's look around the building and see where the big entrances/exits are. The kids most likely went that way.

(OOC: How many floors does this apartment complex have?)

Chuck the Monkey looks up, make an inventory of the number of floors and makes a note. He takes a quick survey of the area around the building, noting where the big entrances, the mailboxes (if they are still around) are. If there are any signs of life in the immediate area. Chuck will take a quick gander from afar, looking for human signs around the building, as well as any silhouettes of note through the windows. If he does not see anything noteworthy, he will make his presence scarce and move quietly to one of the entrances. Looking back towards the convoy, he tries to see if either of the soldiers are approaching.
Last edited by CC_Dunscon on Sat Mar 23, 2024 7:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Chuckles' Sheet
PPE: 34
HP: 28
SDC: 63
Charm/Impress: 30%
Trust/Intimidate: 75%
User avatar
Falcon
Posts: 77
Joined: Thu Dec 29, 2022 1:13 pm

Re: Hold Back the Night. Chapter 3.

Post by Falcon »

OOC Comments
Perception: 18% / 1d100: [38] = 38
JIC: 1d20: [19] = 19 / 1d100: [87] = 87
+2 v HF, +2 v Lethal/Non-lethal Toxins, +6% vs Coma/Death, +2 vs Magic, +2 vs Insanity, +2 vs Psionics
M&J wrote: Falcon turns to Chuck as Marconi points out the highrise, and he realizes Chuck is missing. The man doesn’t appear on the visual scan, but a heat source shows on the infrared thermals a short way toward the building. It isn’t human.
Falcon searches with all his enhanced senses, visual and audio.

Falcon approaches Marconi, still looking. ”Did you see where he went? Oh, and it appears there are some wild animals loose. I saw a lemur or something run off toward the building.”
M&J wrote: Suddenly, his and Falcon’s comm unit pings with an incoming call labeled Lieutenant Davidson, Commander of the CRT, their new boss.
Marconi wrote: He will answer the call, "Private Marconi reporting."
Hearing Marconi answer the call, Falcon holds off. Instead he gets closer to Marconi and half whispers, half gestures. ”Get your gear so we can head out. Any chance we can do the whole Superman thing?” With that Falcon gestures to his new jet pack. "This time I can keep up."


OOC Comments
In case of violence: Initiative +4 (+5 w/rifles)
Initiative: 1d20+5: 1d20+5: [15]+5 = 20

Actions performed not necessarily in this order

Action 1: Reserved for Dodge/vehicle maneuver
Action 2: Reserved for Dodge/vehicle maneuver
Action 3: Strike: Rifle 1d20+9: [14]+9 = 23 , Damage - SDC (5D6): 5d6: [6, 3, 5, 4, 3] = 21 , Damage - MDC (3D6): 3d6: [3, 5, 4] = 12
Action 4: Strike: Rifle 1d20+9: [9]+9 = 18 , Damage - SDC (5D6): 5d6: [3, 4, 4, 2, 1] = 14 , Damage - MDC (3D6): 3d6: [5, 4, 2] = 11
Action 5: Strike: Rifle 1d20+9: [16]+9 = 25 , Damage - SDC (5D6): 5d6: [1, 4, 3, 6, 6] = 20 , Damage - MDC (3D6): 3d6: [2, 2, 2] = 6
Action 6: Strike: Rifle 1d20+9: [4]+9 = 13 , Damage - SDC (5D6): 5d6: [6, 2, 5, 6, 1] = 20 , Damage - MDC (3D6): 3d6: [1, 2, 2] = 5

Parries (+8 included): 1d20+8: [14]+8 = 22 , 1d20+8: [17]+8 = 25 , 1d20+8: [2]+8 = 10 , 1d20+8: [20]+8 = 28 , 1d20+8: [14]+8 = 22
Dodges (+9 included): 1d20+9: [10]+9 = 19 , 1d20+9: [9]+9 = 18 ,
User avatar
Myth and Jest
Dimension Master
Posts: 96
Joined: Mon Nov 28, 2022 10:42 am
Location: Chaos Earth DM

Re: Hold Back the Night. Chapter 3.

Post by Myth and Jest »

05:42- 29 December – Convoy Camp Indianapolis

Marconi answers the call, and a familiar, yet disgruntled, voice barks over the comm.
“By the Gods, Marconi, what’s the damn hold up? Did that tin-can Falcon sleep in? Your truck is the only vehicle that hasn’t reported its status. You’re holding up the convoy and making me look bad in my first command as a lieutenant.” Lieutenant Gomez lowers her voice to normal levels. “I should have never vouched for you and that brain-in-a-bucket Sergeant. It serves me right to try to protect the two of you. No good deed goes unpunished. Now, what’s the holdup? Can we get this show on the road?” She pauses for a moment. “Please tell me you’re not leaving your assignment and getting into trouble.”

***

Chuck surveys the building and its exterior. The high rise has twelve floors and stands about 120 feet tall. The corner facing the convoy and the team has collapsed, leaving a ramp of debris up to the third floor. Ash and snow have been falling all night and have covered any tracks that may have been made recently. The ground is covered in the soft, untouched blanket, at least on this side of the building. He notices the drone enter the building at the top of the ramp. Most of the windows have shattered, leaving open access to the first floor, though several apartments are filled with the collapsed rubble of the apartment above. The main entrance is along the far side of the building on the opposite side of the ramp.

He looks back and sees Falcon and Marconi halfway to the building. The two soldiers seem very big, but as he watches them, a shock of energy fills his body as if he’s touched a live wire, and the two figures seem to shrink in size until they look normal again. The sensation fades, and the world returns to a familiar perspective.

Turning back, seeing the tall gray building gapping with dark, empty windows fills Chuck with dread. Fear runs down his spine with a shiver. Something is deadly wrong.

***

Falcon watches his drone enter the third floor above the debris ramp. So far, the drone hasn’t found any sign of the kids or life around the building. He can view the video feed from the corner of his HUD and follows the drone’s progress through the abandoned building. As the robot reaches a stairwell, it detects recent foot marks in the dust. Several show sizes are noticeable, with a high probability of a group between four and six individuals. The drone highlights the footprints and begins following the trucks up the stairs.

It reaches the next hallway, a floor above, and alerts a sudden drop in the ambient temperature. It’s cold inside and outside, but it’s as if the Air Conditioning in the hallway kicked on and blasted frigid air. At the end of the hallway, the thermal scanner shows a cold spot merging into a person’s shape. The video shows a deepening darkness that undulates like a shadow on the surface of unsettled water, its size warping. It’s hard to tell, but it seems to float just off the ground. As the drone draws closer, the dark shape rushes the robot. In a blink, the darkness fills the frame of the display and bursts with static as a “Signal Disconnected” warning blinks across the screen.
Liam Marconi
Posts: 95
Joined: Mon Dec 05, 2022 8:21 am

Re: Hold Back the Night. Chapter 3.

Post by Liam Marconi »

Perception (48% - Blue Zone): 1d100: [78] = 78
JIC (d20/d%): 1d20: [11] = 11 / 1d100: [96] = 96

Liam responds honestly, "Some of the kids on the transport ran off to take in a view and the driver went off to find them, we are trying to get all of them back as soon as possible."

Having answered, he proceeds to check with Falcon, and then opens his ability to sense some the strange beings that cross the bridges, suspecting that whatever disabled the drone is not a normal earthly phenomenon.

To Falcon he states, "Things are not looking good, whatever took out the drone is not likely to be leaving the kids alone. Do you have radar or sonar, I suspect infrared and normal light will not work."

He will cast Armor of Ithan on himself this round, not knowing how well his defenses work, he thinks he better shore them up.
User avatar
Falcon
Posts: 77
Joined: Thu Dec 29, 2022 1:13 pm

Re: Hold Back the Night. Chapter 3.

Post by Falcon »

OOC Comments
Perception: 18% / 1d100: [3] = 3
JIC: 1d20: [20] = 20 / 1d100: [28] = 28
+2 v HF, +2 v Lethal/Non-lethal Toxins, +6% vs Coma/Death, +2 vs Magic, +2 vs Insanity, +2 vs Psionics
Unexpectedly Falcon's audio pings and two more in screen video's pop up showing the back of Falcon and Marconi. He turns around confused to see Nora and Rex running past the truck towards the tin man they have come to view as their Alpha/pack leader. When they get to Falcon and Marconi....for some reason Nora has developed an attachment to Marconi.....Falcon says, "I knew you wouldn’t let me down. Glad I paid that tech under the table for the ‘loyalty upgrades’?”
Marconi wrote: Liam responds honestly, "Some of the kids on the transport ran off to take in a view and the driver went off to find them, we are trying to get all of them back as soon as possible.”
At Marconi’s response Falcon shakes his head to clear the image from his mind. Keep your head in the game Falcon. Wishing the hounds were here won't help.

He then makes a ‘cut transmission’ gesture and cuts his own transmission. ”If she calls back send her to voicemail.”
M&J wrote: Several show sizes are noticeable, with a high probability of a group between four and six individuals. The drone highlights the footprints and begins following the trucks up the stairs….The video shows a deepening darkness that undulates like a shadow on the surface of unsettled water, its size warping. It’s hard to tell, but it seems to float just off the ground. As the drone draws closer, the dark shape rushes the robot. In a blink, the darkness fills the frame of the display and bursts with static as a “Signal Disconnected” warning blinks across the screen.
Marconi wrote: To Falcon he states, "Things are not looking good, whatever took out the drone is not likely to be leaving the kids alone. Do you have radar or sonar, I suspect infrared and normal light will not work."
”Unfortunately, the drones we have with us and I don’t have radar or sonar. Only the hounds had radar.”

Falcon replays a bit of the feed to try to get a better look at the shape. "I don’t think I am equipped for this. You may have to take primary with your voo doo stuff. Personally, I want to go back to the truck and cover the civilian leader, wherever he is, from a sniper overwatch position. I do say, if you can still fly, we enter that opening” Falcon points to a vacant window two floors above where the drone went inoperative. "and work our way down to where the footprints are. Unless we find the kids first.”

Falcon then places a hand on Marconi’s shoulder and gives it a squeeze. ”Unless you have a better plan Corporal?”
OOC Comments
In case of violence: Initiative +4 (+5 w/rifles)
Initiative: 1d20+5: 1d20+5: [2]+5 = 7

Actions performed not necessarily in this order

Action 1: Reserved for Dodge/vehicle maneuver
Action 2: Reserved for Dodge/vehicle maneuver
Action 3: Strike: Rifle 1d20+9: [5]+9 = 14 , Damage - SDC (5D6): 5d6: [4, 4, 3, 4, 4] = 19 , Damage - MDC (3D6): 3d6: [1, 1, 4] = 6
Action 4: Strike: Rifle 1d20+9: [14]+9 = 23 , Damage - SDC (5D6): 5d6: [2, 4, 3, 2, 4] = 15 , Damage - MDC (3D6): 3d6: [2, 4, 6] = 12
Action 5: Strike: Rifle 1d20+9: [13]+9 = 22 , Damage - SDC (5D6): 5d6: [5, 5, 6, 6, 6] = 28 , Damage - MDC (3D6): 3d6: [4, 3, 6] = 13
Action 6: Strike: Rifle 1d20+9: [13]+9 = 22 , Damage - SDC (5D6): 5d6: [4, 5, 3, 5, 1] = 18 , Damage - MDC (3D6): 3d6: [5, 5, 2] = 12

Parries (+8 included): 1d20+8: [18]+8 = 26 , 1d20+8: [9]+8 = 17 , 1d20+8: [17]+8 = 25 , 1d20+8: [17]+8 = 25 , 1d20+8: [10]+8 = 18
Dodges (+9 included): 1d20+9: [12]+9 = 21 , 1d20+9: [18]+9 = 27 , 1d20+9: [17]+9 = 26 , 1d20+9: [12]+9 = 21 , 1d20+9: [12]+9 = 21
Liam Marconi
Posts: 95
Joined: Mon Dec 05, 2022 8:21 am

Re: Hold Back the Night. Chapter 3.

Post by Liam Marconi »

(Rolls carried over)
Falcon wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 4:31 am
”Unfortunately, the drones we have with us and I don’t have radar or sonar. Only the hounds had radar.”

Falcon replays a bit of the feed to try to get a better look at the shape. "I don’t think I am equipped for this. You may have to take primary with your voo doo stuff. Personally, I want to go back to the truck and cover the civilian leader, wherever he is, from a sniper overwatch position. I do say, if you can still fly, we enter that opening” Falcon points to a vacant window two floors above where the drone went inoperative. "and work our way down to where the footprints are. Unless we find the kids first.”

Falcon then places a hand on Marconi’s shoulder and gives it a squeeze. ”Unless you have a better plan Corporal?”
Liam frowns, "Let's find out."

He concentrates for a moment and lifts slowly into the air. He comments, "This seems a bit different that what I did before, but I can get into the air at least."
OOC Comments
I am actually using his class ability that allows slow flight rather than the spell, which is faster. He has not quite got it right yet.
User avatar
Falcon
Posts: 77
Joined: Thu Dec 29, 2022 1:13 pm

Re: Hold Back the Night. Chapter 3.

Post by Falcon »

(Rolls Carry Over)
Marconi wrote:Liam frowns, "Let's find out."

He concentrates for a moment and lifts slowly into the air. He comments, "This seems a bit different that what I did before, but I can get into the air at least."
Falcon looks impressed, and a little relieved, at what Marconi can do. He then activates his new jet pack and lifts off the ground - a little unsteadily - matching Marconi's position. Hope he didn't notice that.

"Ok, if you agree, you lead. I'll follow since I am new to this flying stuff."
User avatar
CC_Dunscon
Posts: 13
Joined: Sun Mar 10, 2024 11:35 am

Re: Hold Back the Night. Chapter 3.

Post by CC_Dunscon »

Per: 1d100 < 28: [56] = 56
JIC: 1d100: [73] = 73 | 1d20: [7] = 7

Conditions:
PPE: -9 (25 Currently)
Temporary MDC transformation around Blue Zones: 99 MDC
Shadow Meld:
Shadow Meld: 31 melees
Look Out: 4 hours - 15 seconds
M&J wrote: Chuck surveys the building and its exterior. The high rise has twelve floors and stands about 120 feet tall. The corner facing the convoy and the team has collapsed, leaving a ramp of debris up to the third floor. Ash and snow have been falling all night and have covered any tracks that may have been made recently. The ground is covered in the soft, untouched blanket, at least on this side of the building. He notices the drone enter the building at the top of the ramp. Most of the windows have shattered, leaving open access to the first floor, though several apartments are filled with the collapsed rubble of the apartment above. The main entrance is along the far side of the building on the opposite side of the ramp.
M&J wrote: He looks back and sees Falcon and Marconi halfway to the building. The two soldiers seem very big, but as he watches them, a shock of energy fills his body as if he’s touched a live wire, and the two figures seem to shrink in size until they look normal again. The sensation fades, and the world returns to a familiar perspective.
Oh, I've changed back, but I'm still one with the shadows. That was weird. I don't think they can see me. This was a bit ill-conceived on my part. They are, what, 70ish feet away?
M&J wrote: Turning back, seeing the tall gray building gapping with dark, empty windows fills Chuck with dread. Fear runs down his spine with a shiver. Something is deadly wrong.
At the proximity of the blue line, Chuck feels the shiver travel from the back of his neck all the way to the bottom of his spine.

Well fuck. Should I go around?

Turning back, he sees both the NEMA soldiers. They are both hovering.

Without further ado, Chuck channels power from the blue zone and starts to empower himself with mystic powers:
(Full buffs take plus an action should take the whole melee round)


(60 PPE channel limit at lvl 4)
Demon Strength (-5), PS becomes 44 SN, duration 2 minutes
Fast Fist (-10), Attacks Per round double to 10, duration 8 minutes
Armor of Ithan (-5), 40 MDC, duration 4 minutes
Quiet Walk (-5), Move without noise, +15% to prowl, max speed is 1/2 SPD attribute, duration 8 minutes.
(-25 PPE total)
so many spells, so many possible side effects
1d100: [30] = 30 1d100: [95] = 95 1d100: [31] = 31 1d100: [37] = 37


Temporarily willing his Shadow Meld to not affect the NEMA personel
(OOC: In Palladium, the consensus is that you can pick and choose which persons are affected by your spell, and those that are possibly affected will have the opportunity to save.)
, he pulls out his police baton and waves it above his head, gesticulating to them to come to his location.
Last edited by Myth and Jest on Sun Mar 31, 2024 12:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: For clarity with the setting's known lore.
Chuckles' Sheet
PPE: 34
HP: 28
SDC: 63
Charm/Impress: 30%
Trust/Intimidate: 75%
Liam Marconi
Posts: 95
Joined: Mon Dec 05, 2022 8:21 am

Re: Hold Back the Night. Chapter 3.

Post by Liam Marconi »

(Rolls Carries over)
If Liam notices Chuck (not a given, as his perception roll was bad), he will say, "Ah, there is our lost guide. Do you think we should join him instead of flying up to the window?"

Whether or not he notices Chuck, he will defer to Falcon on the question.
User avatar
Falcon
Posts: 77
Joined: Thu Dec 29, 2022 1:13 pm

Re: Hold Back the Night. Chapter 3.

Post by Falcon »

(Rolls Carry Over)

If Marconi manages to ask the question.

Falcon rubs an armored hand over his helmet. I don't like this. I don't like this at all.

He then looks at Marconi and hopes the Corporal can hear the strain and concern in his voice. "No, he made his choice. The best move would be for him to head back to the truck. Given what we saw, that building is no place for an unarmored squishy. He could have had my armored jacket, but that is back in my bike." Falcon pauses to let out a sigh. "Unless you feel otherwise, I think we should focus on getting to the building, saving what kids we can, and getting out before he makes it to whatever it is that is in there. Kind of a 'defense as the best offense' plan." Well, this whole mission went to S#!t quick.
User avatar
Myth and Jest
Dimension Master
Posts: 96
Joined: Mon Nov 28, 2022 10:42 am
Location: Chaos Earth DM

Re: Hold Back the Night. Chapter 3.

Post by Myth and Jest »

05:50- 29 December – Convoy Camp Indianapolis

Lieutenant Gomez signs over the comm line. “Don’t worry about your truck assignment. I’ll assign another driver and guard and reassign the two of you to Roving Convoy Security when you return. Find those kids quick and bring them back safe!”

Marconi and Falcon lift off from the ground and quickly catch up to Chuck, who seems to materialize from the darkness near the debris ramp. The civilian looks pale and sheened with sweat, terrified but fighting with fear to stay and help.

Falcon sees the terrified man as a feeling of impending doom washed over him, filling him with an illogical sense of despair.

Marconi hears an ungodly wail emanate from somewhere within the building. The voice sounds almost human but mixed with the scream of a large predator cat, similar to a mountain lion in pain. It’s screeching tears through Marconi’s mind, overwhelming him with dread. The sound yearns for something, longs for something, but he can’t sense what. He glimpses at the building before him like a shattered bone stabbing through the skin. It’s eerily pale in the darkness, like a skull with a gapping dark mouth and the ramp of debris like a long stretched-out tongue ready to consume him. The wail cries again, and Marconi realizes it is crying in anticipation of death. Neither Falcon nor Chuck seem to hear the wail, but both look terrified.
Area of Effect OOC
The following penalties apply to all team members: -2 Perception Rolls, -1 on all combat maneuvers, -2 Save vs Horror, -10% on all skill rolls. All of those penalties are doubled for Marconi. There is no Save vs. Test to roll.
Suddenly, the high rise begins to sway in the dark sky, and Chuck falls to the ground with his feet kicked out from under him. The sound of crumbling buildings and falling debris breaks the pre-dawn silence as an earthquake rolls through the area. Bits of the building break off and tumble down against the building’s exterior, shattering around the team. Falcon hears a faint cry from far above and peers toward the top floor. Several figures wave down at the team on a wildly shifting balcony as they grip the railing.
Liam Marconi
Posts: 95
Joined: Mon Dec 05, 2022 8:21 am

Re: Hold Back the Night. Chapter 3.

Post by Liam Marconi »

Perception (44% - Blue Zone; afflicted): 1d100: [21] = 21
JIC (d20/d%): 1d20: [3] = 3 / 1d100: [95] = 95

Marconi nods to himself, telling the Lieutenant was the right thing to do, this way, they are not AWOL.

Marconi realizes that his version of flight is far slower than what he did before, but it will do...he will figure out the difference later (hopefully). As he drifts closer to the now-visible Chuck, who seems terrified, he suddenly hears a hideous noise. It seems to rip at the inside of his mind like a trapped beast trying to escape.

He finds his mind filled with dread, in a nagging way it reminds him of something, but he is too frightened to remember exactly what. He tries to resist the fear so that he can act...

(Not sure if this counts as a Horror Factor Roll or a Magic or Psionic save. Please add any appropriate bonus.)
Save vs fear 1d20: [10] = 10

If he is not too terrified to act, he will react defensively, throwing up a Mirror Image spell to try to make it harder for the fear to find him.
User avatar
Falcon
Posts: 77
Joined: Thu Dec 29, 2022 1:13 pm

Re: Hold Back the Night. Chapter 3.

Post by Falcon »

OOC Comments
Perception: 12% / 1d100: [80] = 80
JIC: 1d20: [6] = 6 / 1d100: [83] = 83
+2-2=0 v HF, +2 v Lethal/Non-lethal Toxins, +6% vs Coma/Death, +2 vs Magic, +2 vs Insanity, +2 vs Psionics
[Quote-M&J] Lieutenant Gomez signs over the comm line. “Don’t worry about your truck assignment. I’ll assign another driver and guard and reassign the two of you to Roving Convoy Security. Find those kids quick and bring them back safe!”[/quote]

Falcon listens to Gomez, "Roger that, Ma’am. We will do our best. Any chance, given the change of assignment, you could release the hounds and send another Flying Drone? Also, could you send the driver in an MX, or similar vehicle? Marconi needs transportation………Falcon out, Lllllllllllllllllll Teeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee."
M&J wrote:Falcon sees the terrified man as a feeling of impending doom washed over him, filling him with an illogical sense of despair….Suddenly, the high rise begins to sway in the dark sky, and Chuck falls to the ground with his feet kicked out from under him. The sound of crumbling buildings and falling debris breaks the pre-dawn silence as an earthquake rolls through the area. Bits of the building break off and tumble down against the building’s exterior, shattering around the team.
Falcon shakes himself as the terror washes over him. Bravery isn’t the absence of fear. It is completing the mission despite the fear.

He kneels down to help the civilian up. ”You get back to the truck and make sure the kids are alright. You have to be their stability. We have this.” He then gives Chuck a gentle push in the direction of the truck to emphasize his words.
M&J wrote: Falcon hears a faint cry from far above and peers toward the top floor. On a wildly shifting balcony, a shadowed figure waves down at them as the person grips the railing.


Falcon looks up, then points to get Marconi’s attention. ”Looks like we are up. You with me?”

OOC Comments
In case of violence: Initiative +4 (+5 w/rifles)
Initiative: 1d20+5: 1d20+5: [12]+5 = 17

Actions performed not necessarily in this order

Action 1: Reserved for Dodge/vehicle maneuver
Action 2: Reserved for Dodge/vehicle maneuver
Action 3: Strike: Rifle 1d20+8: [14]+8 = 22 , Damage - SDC (5D6): 5d6: [1, 5, 5, 1, 3] = 15 , Damage - MDC (3D6): 3d6: [5, 2, 3] = 10
Action 4: Strike: Rifle 1d20+8: [1]+8 = 9 , Damage - SDC (5D6): 5d6: [1, 5, 4, 4, 2] = 16 , Damage - MDC (3D6): 3d6: [2, 2, 2] = 6
Action 5: Strike: Rifle 1d20+8: [14]+8 = 22 , Damage - SDC (5D6): 5d6: [4, 5, 2, 6, 4] = 21 , Damage - MDC (3D6): 3d6: [6, 3, 5] = 14
Action 6: Strike: Rifle 1d20+8: [11]+8 = 19 , Damage - SDC (5D6): 5d6: [4, 3, 3, 2, 5] = 17 , Damage - MDC (3D6): 3d6: [2, 6, 2] = 10

Parries (+8 included): 1d20+8: [7]+8 = 15 , 1d20+8: [14]+8 = 22 , 1d20+8: [14]+8 = 22 , 1d20+8: [8]+8 = 16 , 1d20+8: [17]+8 = 25
Dodges (+9 included): 1d20+9: [13]+9 = 22 , 1d20+9: [12]+9 = 21 , 1d20+9: [6]+9 = 15 , 1d20+9: [13]+9 = 22 , 1d20+9: [14]+9 = 23
Liam Marconi
Posts: 95
Joined: Mon Dec 05, 2022 8:21 am

Re: Hold Back the Night. Chapter 3.

Post by Liam Marconi »

(Rolls carried over)
Marconi grits his teeth, and thinks, I can do this, it is not any worse than the spiders or the fire demon.

He rises into the air and states, "Let's get up there and see if we can find those kids."

If the spell worked, Falcon will see FOUR of Liam, all shifting about in about a 3 meter area and changing places to make it hard to tell which is which.

Better NOT to be on the ground during an earthquake...
User avatar
Myth and Jest
Dimension Master
Posts: 96
Joined: Mon Nov 28, 2022 10:42 am
Location: Chaos Earth DM

Re: Hold Back the Night. Chapter 3.

Post by Myth and Jest »

05:50- 29 December – Abandoned Highrise Apartment building.

Lieutenant Gomez pauses for a moment at Falcon’s request for additional support. “I’ll see what’s available to scrounge up, but your priority is to find those kids and bring them back safe. Now get to it, Sergeant!” Gomez growls and disconnects the line.
Falcon wrote:“Looks like we are up. You with me?”
Marconi wrote:“Let’s get up there and see if we can find those kids.”
Four Marconis respond to Falcon in unison. Falcon turns to Marconi to his left and then to the Marconi to his right and notices two more Marconis hovering about as they launch up the side of the building.

Another earthquake ripple slams into the building, raising it several meters up and then slamming down. Falcon and the Marconis reach the bottom of the fourth floor when a spiderweb of cracks breaks up the building’s exterior wall face, separates from the building, and collapses, sending an avalanche of debris directly on top of the team.

Falcon watches in horror as a large chunk of the wall is about to crash into two of the Marconis.

Through the oncoming debris avalanche, Marconi notices the top balcony, with the figures, crack from the façade of the building and fall. Most of the teenagers quickly moved off the balcony back into the room except for one; the last boy hangs precariously at the edge of the doorway with one hand and stares terrified back at Marconi.

More Info
OOC: Falcon and the Marconis will need to dodge the wave of debris falling on top of them or take other actions to avoid being swept back and buried by the debris.

Falcon must also determine which of the Marconis is the real Marconi if he wants to attempt assistance.

The top floor is the 7th floor with the teenagers
Liam Marconi
Posts: 95
Joined: Mon Dec 05, 2022 8:21 am

Re: Hold Back the Night. Chapter 3.

Post by Liam Marconi »

05:50- 29 December – Abandoned Highrise Apartment building.
Perception (Blue Zone, Afflicted 44%): 1d100: [54] = 54
JIC (d20/D%): 1d20: [7] = 7 / 1d100: [8] = 8

Marconi almost absently tries to dodge the falling debris while looking at the child, thinking, Darn it, he needs something better to grab onto, like a rescue rope.

Like magic, a rope appears in Marconi's hands, and the other end is tied around the boy's feet.

(Spontaneous cast Lifeline for 3 ppe)

Liam decides, I am not going to even try to figure out where that came from.

He flies upward at his best speed, taking in rope as he goes, hoping he will be able to stop the boy's fall when he lets go...

(Dodge if needed: 1d20+3: [2]+3 = 5 )
User avatar
Falcon
Posts: 77
Joined: Thu Dec 29, 2022 1:13 pm

Re: Hold Back the Night. Chapter 3.

Post by Falcon »

OOC Comments
Perception: 18% / 1d100: [32] = 32
JIC: 1d20: [13] = 13 / 1d100: [3] = 3
+2 v HF, +2 v Lethal/Non-lethal Toxins, +6% vs Coma/Death, +2 vs Magic, +2 vs Insanity, +2 vs Psionics
M&J wrote: Four Marconis respond to Falcon in unison. Falcon turns to Marconi to his left and then to the Marconi to his right and notices two more Marconis hovering about as they launch up the side of the building.
Falcon looks to each Marconi in turn, using all his sensors to try to determine which is the real Marconi. Really, the kid can fly, is super tough, and can fire bolts of energy. This isn’t all that odd. Hell, there was that one night in Bangkok…
Marconi wrote: Like magic, a rope appears in Marconi's hands, and the other end is tied around the boy's feet…..He flies upward at his best speed, taking in rope as he goes, hoping he will be able to stop the boy's fall when he lets go...
Falcon sees the ropes form between the Marconi’s and the boy. Ok, we really need to explore what he can do. Seeing that Marconi is focused on the one boy, Falcon flies to the remaining kids.

Dodge (+9 included): 1d20+9: [17]+9 = 26
Dodge (+9 included): 1d20+9: [16]+9 = 25


”Ok, my buddy has one. I can take two, so long as you hold on tight, and will come back for the rest.”

Falcon attempts to get two that balance weight well and, as they get into position scans the area to for danger, both structural and others.



OOC Comments
In case of violence: Initiative +4 (+5 w/rifles)
Initiative: 1d20+5: 1d20+5: [2]+5 = 7

Actions performed not necessarily in this order

Action 1: Reserved for Dodge/vehicle maneuver
Action 2: Reserved for Dodge/vehicle maneuver
Action 3: Strike: Rifle 1d20+9: [6]+9 = 15 , Damage - SDC (5D6): 5d6: [4, 4, 2, 5, 4] = 19 , Damage - MDC (3D6): 3d6: [5, 2, 2] = 9
Action 4: Strike: Rifle 1d20+9: [19]+9 = 28 , Damage - SDC (5D6): 5d6: [5, 3, 3, 4, 5] = 20 , Damage - MDC (3D6): 3d6: [3, 3, 1] = 7
Action 5: Strike: Rifle 1d20+9: [1]+9 = 10 , Damage - SDC (5D6): 5d6: [1, 5, 3, 4, 6] = 19 , Damage - MDC (3D6): 3d6: [6, 6, 3] = 15
Action 6: Strike: Rifle 1d20+9: [9]+9 = 18 , Damage - SDC (5D6): 5d6: [1, 3, 6, 6, 3] = 19 , Damage - MDC (3D6): 3d6: [2, 1, 6] = 9

Parries (+8 included): 1d20+8: [9]+8 = 17 , 1d20+8: [18]+8 = 26 , 1d20+8: [2]+8 = 10 , 1d20+8: [4]+8 = 12 , 1d20+8: [1]+8 = 9
Dodges (+9 included): 1d20+9: [9]+9 = 18 , 1d20+9: [15]+9 = 24 , 1d20+9: [19]+9 = 28 , 1d20+9: [3]+9 = 12 , 1d20+9: [13]+9 = 22
User avatar
Myth and Jest
Dimension Master
Posts: 96
Joined: Mon Nov 28, 2022 10:42 am
Location: Chaos Earth DM

Re: Hold Back the Night. Chapter 3.

Post by Myth and Jest »

05:53- 29 December – Abandoned Highrise Apartment building.

Marconi, barely noticing the wall of debris crashing down on him, focuses on the teenage boy hanging from the ledge fifty feet above him. Almost by instinct, he conjures a rope from his hand leading to the boy’s ankles. Suddenly, a large chunk of wall blocks the boy from Marconi’s view as it falls on top of him. He attempts to dodge from beneath the wall, but it’s too large and crashes into him. For a moment, the great weight of the wall knocks Marconi back, jerking the rope, before it breaks apart around his Armor of Ithan. The sudden jerk of the rope pulls the boy from the edge and sends him into a free fall.

Falcon dodges the avalanche of debris weaving between chunks of concrete and steel. Several large pieces slam into the four Marconis below, but Falcon has already flown above and doesn’t notice. The boy hanging from the ledge is yanked back by the rope attached to his ankles and zips past Falcon as he screams in terror. As Falcon reaches the room, now open to the elements, he notices Chuck already there. The large man has a teenager on his back and two over his shoulders. With a look of pure terror, Chuck turns and runs from the apartment at unnatural speed and disappears into the hallway.

Falcon grabs the two remaining teens, notices the floor crack apart, and steps back into the air as the building crumbles.

Marconi clears the shattered debris, sees the boy fall past screaming in terror, and rapidly pulls in the rope. The rope goes taut, flinging the boy into a wide swing just as the building crumbles into a giant cloud of dust.

Far below, Chuck bursts from the expanding cloud, still carrying the three kids. Floating behind follows a small spherical drone.

Marconi hears a mind-piercing wail of anger and frustration. As the sound fades away with the roar of the crashing building, the crippling feeling of fear lifts from everyone’s mind, and the world is silent again.
User avatar
Falcon
Posts: 77
Joined: Thu Dec 29, 2022 1:13 pm

Re: Hold Back the Night. Chapter 3.

Post by Falcon »

OOC Comments
Perception: 18% / 1d100: [13] = 13
JIC: 1d20: [15] = 15 / 1d100: [61] = 61
+2 v HF, +2 v Lethal/Non-lethal Toxins, +6% vs Coma/Death, +2 vs Magic, +2 vs Insanity, +2 vs Psionics
M&J wrote: The boy hanging from the ledge is yanked back by the rope attached to his ankles and zips past Falcon as he screams in terror. As Falcon reaches the room, now open to the elements, he notices Chuck already there. The large man has a teenager on his back and two over his shoulders.
Falcon, seeing Chuck with three of the children, nods in appreciation. ”We will meet you back at the truck, Chuck. Be safe.” If only he had chosen to work with us rather than against us.
M&J wrote: Falcon grabs the two remaining teens, notices the floor crack apart, and steps back into the air as the building crumbles….Far below, Chuck bursts from the expanding cloud, still carrying the three kids. Floating behind follows a small spherical drone....Marconi hears a mind-piercing wail of anger and frustration. As the sound fades away with the roar of the crashing building, the crippling feeling of fear lifts from everyone’s mind, and the world is silent again.
Once he is away from the immediate danger of the building, Falcon looks for Chuck and Marconi. Seeing them both headed for the truck, and with a count of 6 kids, he decides to fly all the way to the vehicle and deposit his passengers there.


OOC Comments
In case of violence: Initiative +4 (+5 w/rifles)
Initiative: 1d20+5: 1d20+5: [2]+5 = 7

Actions performed not necessarily in this order

Action 1: Reserved for Dodge/vehicle maneuver
Action 2: Reserved for Dodge/vehicle maneuver
Action 3: Strike: Rifle 1d20+9: [7]+9 = 16 , Damage - SDC (5D6): 5d6: [5, 1, 6, 6, 6] = 24 , Damage - MDC (3D6): 3d6: [1, 4, 4] = 9
Action 4: Strike: Rifle 1d20+9: [10]+9 = 19 , Damage - SDC (5D6): 5d6: [2, 6, 2, 2, 5] = 17 , Damage - MDC (3D6): 3d6: [4, 2, 2] = 8
Action 5: Strike: Rifle 1d20+9: [12]+9 = 21 , Damage - SDC (5D6): 5d6: [5, 3, 5, 4, 1] = 18 , Damage - MDC (3D6): 3d6: [2, 5, 6] = 13
Action 6: Strike: Rifle 1d20+9: [14]+9 = 23 , Damage - SDC (5D6): 5d6: [5, 4, 3, 1, 6] = 19 , Damage - MDC (3D6): 3d6: [5, 2, 5] = 12

Parries (+8 included): 1d20+8: [2]+8 = 10 , 1d20+8: [19]+8 = 27 , 1d20+8: [2]+8 = 10 , 1d20+8: [8]+8 = 16 , 1d20+8: [11]+8 = 19
Dodges (+9 included): 1d20+9: [17]+9 = 26 , 1d20+9: [15]+9 = 24 , 1d20+9: [19]+9 = 28 , 1d20+9: [1]+9 = 10 , 1d20+9: [1]+9 = 10
Dice rolls
1d20+4: [14]+4 = 18
1d20+4: [8]+4 = 12
1d20+4: [1]+4 = 5
1d20+4: [19]+4 = 23
1d20+4: [1]+4 = 5
1d20+1: [3]+1 = 4
1d20+1: [18]+1 = 19
1d20+1: [1]+1 = 2
1d20+1: [9]+1 = 10
1d20+1: [13]+1 = 14
4d4: [3, 3, 3, 3] = 12
1d20+2: [13]+2 = 15
4d4: [4, 2, 3, 2] = 11
1d20+2: [20]+2 = 22
4d4: [3, 4, 1, 4] = 12
1d20+2: [7]+2 = 9
4d4: [3, 3, 4, 2] = 12
1d20+2: [19]+2 = 21
4d4: [1, 1, 3, 2] = 7
1d20+2: [11]+2 = 13
1d20: [13] = 13
1d20+4: [20]+4 = 24
1d20+4: [6]+4 = 10
1d20+4: [14]+4 = 18
1d20+4: [16]+4 = 20
1d20+4: [5]+4 = 9
1d20+1: [7]+1 = 8
1d20+1: [15]+1 = 16
1d20+1: [14]+1 = 15
1d20+1: [4]+1 = 5
1d20+1: [18]+1 = 19
4d4: [2, 4, 1, 1] = 8
1d20+2: [2]+2 = 4
4d4: [3, 1, 2, 1] = 7
1d20+2: [6]+2 = 8
4d4: [1, 3, 3, 1] = 8
1d20+2: [17]+2 = 19
4d4: [4, 3, 1, 4] = 12
1d20+2: [13]+2 = 15
4d4: [4, 4, 1, 3] = 12
1d20+2: [19]+2 = 21
1d20: [9] = 9
Liam Marconi
Posts: 95
Joined: Mon Dec 05, 2022 8:21 am

Re: Hold Back the Night. Chapter 3.

Post by Liam Marconi »

Perception (48% - Blue Zone): 1d100: [66] = 66
JIC (d20/d%): 1d20: [9] = 9 / 1d100: [53] = 53

Marconi was hit by the rubble and the child was yanked off his hold. Marconi didn't release the rope (not sure he could get it back if he did), but he was thinking, Blast, I pulled him down. Wish this thing had appeared AFTER I got hit so I would not have pulled him...now I will need to hold tight.

He reeled in the rope as fast an he could and gripped it hard as the child reached the end...managing to keep him from hitting the ground.

He thinks, Whew, if I had dropped him I would never have forgiven myself. At least inertia caused him to swing wide of the debris so he was not hit too.

He sees the building start to collapse, and can not do anything but watch in horror...until he sees Chuck running OUT of the building. OK, so Chuck must be like me...no normal man could do that, and I am pretty sure he is not a cyborg. Wish he had mentioned that earlier.

The mental scream turns to a wail of anger, and Marconi thinks, Not this time, screamer.

Finally he lowers the boy, and then himself, to the ground and says, "Let's get these kids back to the truck, if it is still there."
Post Reply

Return to “Adventure Forum”