Getting Their Bearings: Part Two

BTS2 Adventure Forum
User avatar
Consumer
Game Master
Posts: 1966
Joined: Sun Sep 13, 2009 2:26 pm
Location: GM/DM (The Templar, PW: Galactic Rogues, BTS:OGoA)
Contact:

Getting Their Bearings: Part Two

Post by Consumer »

Getting their Bearings: Part Two
Time and Weather wrote:Location: Whitlach Estate, Prosperity, West Virginia
Date: Tuesday, March 21st, 1925. 8:00 PM (14 hours have passed)
Weather: 53 degrees Fahrenheit; Clear Skies.
I.S.P. Modifier: x1
Case Notes
Jake goes to look at the sodden mass of paper Zachary pulled out of his pocket, only to find it’s now not much more than junk. Jake goes back to his conversation with those at the table.
Jake Foster wrote:"And you. Does this mean...? Are you really a-- A witch?"
Marie shakes her head. ”Nope, definitely not.” Marie says, while her brother Andrew smirks.

Sean adds to the conversation, lightly lamenting on the futility of it all.
Sean Burke wrote:"I'm not saying I want out... just wondering how this stuff pays us back int he long run."
Marie speaks up. ”It’s hard to say, but I would rather have tried and failed, than not done anything and watched the world burn.” Andrew nods at her words. ”It’s really one of those damned if you do, damned if you don’t situations.” Andrew adds.

Zachary adds his voice to the conversation, while Violet and Isaiah seem unusually quiet.

Zachary may have hit the nail on the head though, it is very late for most of them, so goodbyes are said, and most of the investigators make their way to the old Whitlach Estate, except for Jake, who actually has to go to work still. Carl, who also has work to do, and the Comstocks who say they’re going to make their way home. Rest is had, as well as a chance to clean up. Later the following evening finds all the investigators in the dining room of the Estate, well minus the Comstocks or Carl.

Sitting on the table in between the investigator is the remaining two pieces of info that were given to them by Mr. Blanche. A scrawled note about monsters in the Number Eight Mine, and a few different articles about missing travelers off of the interstate.

What Are Your Intentions?

Zachary: HP: 42/42, S.D.C. 12/29, I.S.P.: 9/9
Sean: HP:18/18, S.D.C.: 46/50, I.S.P.: 12/12
Isaiah: HP: 16/16, S.D.C.: 29, I.S.P.: 13/13
Violet: HP: 16/16, S.D.C.: 36/36, I.S.P.: 9/9
Jake HP: 16/16, S.D.C. 70/70, I.S.P.: 11/11
"All things age. All things die. In the end, our sun burns out. Our universe grows cold and perishes. But the Dark Dimension, it’s the place beyond time."
GM of The Templar, Phase World: Galactic Rogues, Beyond the Supernatural: Old Gods of Appalachia
PP Ledger
User avatar
Zachary Splindt
Posts: 129
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2021 3:17 pm

Re: Getting Their Bearings: Part Two

Post by Zachary Splindt »

Perception: 1d100: [58] = 58 (23%)
JIC 1D100: 1d100: [24] = 24
JIC 1D20: 1d20: [12] = 12
Conditions: Closed to the Supernatural

Zachary drums his fingers on the table as he glances at the folder and the articles on the table. The mine in particular strikes Zachary as familiar, per his earlier misadventure with Theo in attempting to investigate the mine. We've at least got a headstart on this one, Zachary thinks to himself, the foreman was a suspicious fellow. Don't want to stir the pot in this mine no.8 like we did back in Glen Jean, but if we were to actually find a way inside...

Zachary voices his thoughts to the rest of the group. Having grown somewhat comfortable with discussing the supernatural during his stay in Prosperity, Zachary hides nothing as he speaks. "These are the two other sources we received. The folder has some info on some folks who went missing on a interstate. Seem to have just vanished, maybe by a ghost."

Zachary then points to the crumpled note. "As for this note, seems monsters have been found in a mine. It's owned by some company called B&L, and it seems they're the big employers, at least over in Glen Jean. Never been to this mine no.8, but Theo and I stopped by one of B&L's mines while we were checking out clues on our waterlogged friend from earlier. Foreman turned us away before we could get a good look. Seems awful suspicious, but I've personally got my eyes on this particular one here. " Zachary clears his throat, "Theo and I erm... kind of left a less than likeable impression when we asked around the miners though, so I might be relying on your folks to ask the questions if word spreads."

Zachary recalls a particular observation Callum noted some time ago, and shares it with the rest of the group. "I almost forgot. While we were investigating this water ghost, we heard something about a girl that went missing a long while back. Maybe she played too close to the mine, maybe she vanished off the interstate. Maybe it's neither and she was the one who ended up becoming the lake ghost. Maybe even a red harring. Might just be something to keep in the back of our heads as we search either of these cases."

If the majority of the group prefers to take on the lead regarding the missing persons and the interstate, Zachary will change his mind and agree to opt for the interstate case.
Last edited by Zachary Splindt on Mon Jan 22, 2024 2:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
Sean Burke
Posts: 40
Joined: Tue Jul 11, 2023 10:47 am

Re: Getting Their Bearings: Part Two

Post by Sean Burke »

Perception: 30% vs 1d100: [83] = 83
JIC: 1d20: [9] = 9 and 1d100: [95] = 95
Consumer wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 6:47 am Marie speaks up. ”It’s hard to say, but I would rather have tried and failed, than not done anything and watched the world burn.” Andrew nods at her words. ”It’s really one of those damned if you do, damned if you don’t situations.” Andrew adds.
Sean looks square at Marie, "That all good and well dear, but we ain't trying, failing or succeeding if we aren't putting food on the table." He leans back in the chair and smiles, "Even the gypsy girls make their money from tellin a fortune or two... Someone has to have a financial interest in us taking care of these things."

Sean pick up the folder looking through briefly, "These mines... the owners can't be happy with stories about monsters int he mine." Sean lets out a short snort of brief adding, "That can't be good for productivity."

He looks over to Zachary, "You might be right, maybe we look to tackle this one next. Maybe we start by seeing if it is worth anything to B&L? THey might pay for us to "clear" the mine or it's monsters."

Sean leaves the suggestion to settle as he waits to see what the others think.
User avatar
Jake Foster
Posts: 16
Joined: Tue Nov 21, 2023 9:17 am

Re: Getting Their Bearings: Part Two

Post by Jake Foster »

Perception: d100: [59] = 59 (see post signature)
JIC: d20: [17] = 17 -- d100: [77] = 77
(Open to Supernatural)
===
Jake cleans up as best he can after his shift and excitedly makes his way to the Whitlach house. He'd seen it from afar plenty of times but never dared enter the grounds. He opens his third eye as he walks up, taking in everything. He finds himself questioning if this is actually happening.

When they gather around the table, he zeroes in on the note about the mine, too.
Zachary Splindt wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 9:16 am Zachary then points to the crumpled note. "As for this note, seems monsters have been found in a mine. Theo and I actually stopped there before, while we were checking out clues on our waterlogged friend from earlier. Foreman turned us away before we could get a good look.
"I've been working Number 6 since I got home, but I might know somebody up that way."
Sean Burke wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 1:16 pm Sean pick up the folder looking through briefly, "These mines... the owners can't be happy with stories about monsters in the mine." Sean lets out a short snort of brief adding, "That can't be good for productivity."
Jake quirks an eyebrow at the quip, not really appreciating the humor. "I reckon the workers are even less happy about it," he says dryly. "Hell, the owners would be more worried about word spreading than the men inside. If the Foreman was acting squirrelly, that might be why."
Character Sheet: viewtopic.php?p=1397296#p1397296
I.Q.: 9
M.E.: 16
M.A.: 9
P.S.: 18
P.P.: 12
P.E.: 18
P.B.: 7
Speed: 9

PHYSICAL DATA
P.P.E.: 5
I.S.P.: 11 (+2 / level) (Multiplied by x2/x4/etc vs higher supernatural threats)
H.P.: 16 + 1D6/level
S.D.C.: 70
Age: 29
Sex: Male
Height: 5'9"
Weight: 190
Description: Caucasian, rough around the edges, sandy blonde hair and beard.
30% (+3%) / 50% (Sixth Sense) / 65% (Open to Supernatural)
Sense Supernatural Evil (Range: 300 ft + 50/level)
Sense fluxes of > 20 PPE Range: 600 ft + 100/level) (Open to Supernatural)
Recognizes Possession - Base Skill: 50% (+5%)
Recognizes Magic Enchantment - 30% (+5%)
+ 10% if the magic is evil/hurtful
+ 20% when possessed by an evil supernatural being.

HTH Type: Basic
Number of Attacks: 5
Initiative Bonus: +6 (Sixth Sense)
Strike Bonus:
Parry Bonus: +2 / +4 (Sixth Sense)
Dodge Bonus: +2 / +5 (Sixth Sense)
HTH Damage Bonus: +3
Bonus to Roll w/Punch: +4
Bonus to Pull a Punch: +2
Bonus to Disarm:
Other: When using any powers: No initiative roll, only 4 Attacks per melee

Weapon Proficiencies
W.P. Knife +1 to strike at levels 2, 4, 7, 10, and 13. +1 to parry at levels, 1, 3, 6, 9, and 12. +1 to strike when thrown at levels, 1, 3, 6, 8, 10 and 13.
W.P. Rifles +1 to strike at levels 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11, and 13.
Coma/Death: +3
Magic (varies): +5**
Lethal Poison (14+): +3
Non-Lethal Poison (16+): +3
Insanity (10+): +1
Psionics (10+): +1**
Horror Factor (varies): +4
Possession: +4
**+4 to save vs mind-altering drugs, magical charms, and mental confusion.
**-1 to save vs Illusions and Telepathic or Empathic probes and attacks.
User avatar
Isaiah Peirce
Posts: 25
Joined: Fri Aug 25, 2023 6:58 am

Re: Getting Their Bearings: Part Two

Post by Isaiah Peirce »

Perception: 1d100: [70] = 70 /40%
JiC: 1d20: [13] = 13 / 1d100: [75] = 75

Conditions: Sense Supernatural Evil (350ft) | Sixth Sense (Inactive)

Skills:
Lore, Demons and Monsters: 1d100: [12] = 12 /75% [Critters that lair up in mines/caves, that take victims over extended periods of time, hard to find.]
Research: 1d100: [6] = 6 /55% [Find examples of Paranormal Investigators being contracted to work for a company, to help aid them in their proposition]

Post:
Carl wrote:”A relic from a storied past. I may tell you about it in the future.”
Isaiah nods, hiding a smile behind his cup as he takes a drink before adding. "I'll take you up on that." Isaiah adds before Carl leaves, expressing his interest in learning more. Reminds me of that military friend of my dad, bet he's seen more than a thing or two. Isaiah muses, ignoring the rest of the conversation for a moment and instead thinking on the warm drink in his hand. Though he's wrong. It's not about recognition, it's about helping saving people and hunting monsters. Monsters the rest of the world pretend doesn't exist because people like us are willing to accept they do. Isaiah continues the thought in his mind.

When the newcomer mentions war, he Isaiah opens his eyes and looks back towards the newcomer with a wince. Well, now I feel like an utter asshole. Isaiah thinks for his initial thought on the newcomer as he now begins listening to the conversation with interest.
Sean wrote:"I'm not saying I want out... just wondering how this stuff pays us back int he long run."
Isaiah fights a snort. "In this for the wrong reason, mate." Isaiah quips. "Not about the reward. Reward is surviving, and knowing others won't be at risk because of it. Glory gets you killed." Isaiah mutters, as if thinking on a memory he doesn't elaborate on.
Zachary wrote:“Room and board? Like I said earlier, the Captain’s old estate is open for any of you fellas who need a place to rest.”
"Though I will be one to accept free room and board while we're working together." Isaiah offers. "I'm looking forward to sleeping for the rest of the night, actually." Isaiah adds and joins the crew, the young adult appearing drained

[The next day]
Zachary wrote: "As for this note, seems monsters have been found in a mine. Theo and I actually stopped there before, while we were checking out clues on our waterlogged friend from earlier. Foreman turned us away before we could get a good look."
Jake wrote:"I've been working Number 6 since I got home, but I might know somebody up that way."
Isaiah will spend the majority of the day looking through his new temporary domicile and any reading materials in public spaces. His curiosity getting the best of him, though he doesn't go into drawers or the like, just articles or books. When the note is found about the Number Eight Mine, and the missing travelers, Isaiah's brow furrows. Hmm, a den? Maybe there is another entrance to consider. Isaiah thinks, not knowing much about mines, his thought drawn to the conversation. "Let's not just run straight there just yet or anything." Isaiah says.
Sean wrote:"You might be right, maybe we look to tackle this one next. Maybe we start by seeing if it is worth anything to B&L? THey might pay for us to "clear" the mine or it's monsters."
Isaiah can't fight the chuckle this time. At least he's open about his angle. Isaiah thinks before nodding. "That's one way to do it. I've heard of management getting a medium or paranormal investigator to clear an area to bring peace of mind before. Usually, it's more for the peace of mind than a resolution... I have my card with me, even if I'm from a different city. Would give us the credibility to walk right in." Isaiah adds to the idea of going to the B&L leads to try to seek a payout. Though, I half expect his immediate offer to be mockingly rejected. Isaiah thinks to himself, not having faith in the supposed owners of the mine.

Isaiah paces and looks towards a book, skimming its spine. "I'd really like us to know more about what we're walking into before walking into it. Even if people are in danger, we can't help them unprepared and dead." Isaiah adds, looking to Zach, Jake and the others. "Do you know if there are any libraries or such nearby, or how's the collection here?"
Paranormal Investigator Isaiah S. Peirce | EP Ledger

Important Numbers: Perception 40% | H.P.: 16 | S.D.C: 29 | I.S.P.: 13
Magic (varies): +1
Lethal Poison (14+): +3
Non-Lethal Poison (16+): +3
Insanity (12+): +1
Psionics (10): +3
Horror Factor (varies): +3
Mind Altering effects (magic, mental or drug): +3
User avatar
Consumer
Game Master
Posts: 1966
Joined: Sun Sep 13, 2009 2:26 pm
Location: GM/DM (The Templar, PW: Galactic Rogues, BTS:OGoA)
Contact:

Re: Getting Their Bearings: Part Two

Post by Consumer »

Getting their Bearings: Part Two
Time and Weather wrote:Location: Whitlach Estate, Prosperity, West Virginia
Date: Tuesday, March 21st, 1925. 8:20 PM (20 minutes have passed)
Weather: 53 degrees Fahrenheit; Clear Skies.
I.S.P. Modifier: x1
Case Notes: The Mine
Case Notes: The Highway
Isaiah finds the house to be large and almost decadent for the local, sporting not one but two libraries full of books in a variety of languages, covering a wide variety of subjects both mundane and esoteric.


The group sits at the table, discussing the two possible cases before them. Given the lateness of their previous case, it seems a good enough time for dinner. So plates of food are scattered with pieces of newspaper. The folk at the table consist of Zachary, Sean, Isaiah, Violet, and Jake. Jake has just recently returned from a long shift at the mine. While he had attempted to clean up, he always seems to have the smell of it about him, not that he notices, his senses blinded to it after the time he’s been working.

The investigators pour over the smattering of papers, but seem to be more interested in the single handwritten note, scrawled in pen on what appears to be a bar napkin. Mr. Blanche, the writer of the note, said he wrote it down while eavesdropping on a few miners complaining in a bar to the south. The note itself is sparse in detail.
Handwritten Note wrote:Some miners are complaining that the number eight mine is shut down. One of them said that there is some kind of creature there.
Zachary expresses his interest in looking into the possible creatures in the mine, but gets a lot of details wrong as he tries to explain things. First being that, Zachary went to a completely different mine, one of the ones close to Glen Jean, while the Number Eight mine is a few miles from Prosperity. The second he talks about is the missing girl, who was the girl they found in the lake, being involved with the mine, which is also, just not the case.

Sean talks about getting paid, but in everyone present’s experience, that rarely happens. Usually payment comes from grateful people. Barrow and Locke is a well known entity in the area, and they are not known for their generosity. Jake figures the miners of the Number Eight mine would be unhappy, but strangely even though he does work for B&L, he hasn’t heard a bit about the Number Eight mine closing. Isaiah seems to be of the same mind as the other’s, if only a little more cautious of the possible situation.

What Are Your Intentions?

Zachary: HP: 42/42, S.D.C. 12/29, I.S.P.: 9/9
Sean: HP:18/18, S.D.C.: 46/50, I.S.P.: 12/12
Isaiah: HP: 16/16, S.D.C.: 29, I.S.P.: 13/13
Violet: HP: 16/16, S.D.C.: 36/36, I.S.P.: 9/9
Jake HP: 16/16, S.D.C. 70/70, I.S.P.: 11/11
"All things age. All things die. In the end, our sun burns out. Our universe grows cold and perishes. But the Dark Dimension, it’s the place beyond time."
GM of The Templar, Phase World: Galactic Rogues, Beyond the Supernatural: Old Gods of Appalachia
PP Ledger
User avatar
Sean Burke
Posts: 40
Joined: Tue Jul 11, 2023 10:47 am

Re: Getting Their Bearings: Part Two

Post by Sean Burke »

Perception: 30% vs 1d100: [41] = 41
JIC: 1d20: [10] = 10 and 1d100: [40] = 40
Isaiah Peirce wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 10:33 pm Isaiah can't fight the chuckle this time. At least he's open about his angle. Isaiah thinks before nodding. "That's one way to do it. I've heard of management getting a medium or paranormal investigator to clear an area to bring peace of mind before. Usually, it's more for the peace of mind than a resolution... I have my card with me, even if I'm from a different city. Would give us the credibility to walk right in." Isaiah adds to the idea of going to the B&L leads to try to seek a payout. Though, I half expect his immediate offer to be mockingly rejected. Isaiah thinks to himself, not having faith in the supposed owners of the mine.

Isaiah paces and looks towards a book, skimming its spine. "I'd really like us to know more about what we're walking into before walking into it. Even if people are in danger, we can't help them unprepared and dead." Isaiah adds, looking to Zach, Jake and the others. "Do you know if there are any libraries or such nearby, or how's the collection here?"
Sean nods at Isaiah's suggestion, "I suppose knowing more about the mine would be good... Maybe we should split up. I thinking a group goes and talks to the B&L management... Maybe a play to get their mine back open."

He looks around at the others wondering if they will agree or not. There has to be some reward... Kindness is all good and all, likely get you into heaven... but not eating will get you there quicker.

Sean leans back in the chair, "I have a couple ideas on how to play out our help to the owners..."
User avatar
Zachary Splindt
Posts: 129
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2021 3:17 pm

Re: Getting Their Bearings: Part Two

Post by Zachary Splindt »

Perception: 1d100: [38] = 38 (23%)
JIC 1D100: 1d100: [9] = 9
JIC 1D20: 1d20: [13] = 13
Conditions: Closed to the Supernatural

Listening to the conversation, Zachary hears Isaiah's comments.
Isaiah Peirce wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 10:33 pm "That's one way to do it. I've heard of management getting a medium or paranormal investigator to clear an area to bring peace of mind before. Usually, it's more for the peace of mind than a resolution... I have my card with me, even if I'm from a different city. Would give us the credibility to walk right in."

"I'd really like us to know more about what we're walking into before walking into it. Even if people are in danger, we can't help them unprepared and dead." Isaiah adds, looking to Zach, Jake and the others. "Do you know if there are any libraries or such nearby, or how's the collection here?"
Zachary perks up at the mention of a fellow seeker of the paranormal. Sitting up a bit, the detective begins to speak. "I'd be satisfied with another dead spirit, but I guess getting a bit of pay beyond the good graces of the public is good too. You said you have a card? I take it you've done this sort of thing before?" Zachary also gestures in the direction of the study. "If you're looking for books, you'll want to head to the study. The old captain had a heck of a collection." replies Zachary "There's some stuff on the occult and such, not all in English. Not sure how much you'll find on the town itself, but maybe there's a snippet here and there that might point to whatever we might find."

Zachary is about to continue, and suggest a break-in at the mine during after-hours, when he hears Sean speak.
Sean Burke wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 9:37 am Sean nods at Isaiah's suggestion, "I suppose knowing more about the mine would be good... Maybe we should split up. I thinking a group goes and talks to the B&L management... Maybe a play to get their mine back open."

"I have a couple ideas on how to play out our help to the owners..."
"Wouldn't hurt. Reckon if we were to split up, some of us could talk to the foremen while the rest of us could talk to the miners." replies Zachary as he glances as Sean, "I'd be curious to hear this idea you've got for us. Or are you going to keep us in suspence?"
User avatar
Jake Foster
Posts: 16
Joined: Tue Nov 21, 2023 9:17 am

Re: Getting Their Bearings: Part Two

Post by Jake Foster »

Perception: d100 (see post signature)
JIC: d20 -- d100
(Open to Supernatural)
===
Isaiah Peirce wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 10:33 pm "That's one way to do it. I've heard of management getting a medium or paranormal investigator to clear an area to bring peace of mind before. Usually, it's more for the peace of mind than a resolution... I have my card with me, even if I'm from a different city. Would give us the credibility to walk right in."
Isaiah adds, looking to Zach, Jake and the others. "Do you know if there are any libraries or such nearby, or how's the collection here?"
Jake chuckles. "A library? Nowhere near Prosperity." He looks around. "Yeah like Zach said, I'd expect Whitlach kept a collection on the sort of thing you're looking for, though."
Zachary Splindt wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 9:32 am "I'd really like us to know more about what we're walking into before walking into it. Even if people are in danger, we can't help them unprepared and dead."
Jake chimes in again. "Yeah let's find out what's actually going on first. I'd keep that 'paranormal investigator' card to yourself. Showing that off is a sure fire way to get laughed at and turned away."
Sean Burke wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 9:37 am Sean nods at Isaiah's suggestion, "I suppose knowing more about the mine would be good... Maybe we should split up. I thinking a group goes and talks to the B&L management... Maybe a play to get their mine back open."

"Wouldn't hurt. Reckon if we were to split up, some of us could talk to the foremen while the rest of us could talk to the miners." replies Zachary as he glances as Sean, "
Jake nods. "I'll join whichever team is talking to the Foreman. I speak his language a little better."
Last edited by Jake Foster on Tue Jan 30, 2024 11:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Character Sheet: viewtopic.php?p=1397296#p1397296
I.Q.: 9
M.E.: 16
M.A.: 9
P.S.: 18
P.P.: 12
P.E.: 18
P.B.: 7
Speed: 9

PHYSICAL DATA
P.P.E.: 5
I.S.P.: 11 (+2 / level) (Multiplied by x2/x4/etc vs higher supernatural threats)
H.P.: 16 + 1D6/level
S.D.C.: 70
Age: 29
Sex: Male
Height: 5'9"
Weight: 190
Description: Caucasian, rough around the edges, sandy blonde hair and beard.
30% (+3%) / 50% (Sixth Sense) / 65% (Open to Supernatural)
Sense Supernatural Evil (Range: 300 ft + 50/level)
Sense fluxes of > 20 PPE Range: 600 ft + 100/level) (Open to Supernatural)
Recognizes Possession - Base Skill: 50% (+5%)
Recognizes Magic Enchantment - 30% (+5%)
+ 10% if the magic is evil/hurtful
+ 20% when possessed by an evil supernatural being.

HTH Type: Basic
Number of Attacks: 5
Initiative Bonus: +6 (Sixth Sense)
Strike Bonus:
Parry Bonus: +2 / +4 (Sixth Sense)
Dodge Bonus: +2 / +5 (Sixth Sense)
HTH Damage Bonus: +3
Bonus to Roll w/Punch: +4
Bonus to Pull a Punch: +2
Bonus to Disarm:
Other: When using any powers: No initiative roll, only 4 Attacks per melee

Weapon Proficiencies
W.P. Knife +1 to strike at levels 2, 4, 7, 10, and 13. +1 to parry at levels, 1, 3, 6, 9, and 12. +1 to strike when thrown at levels, 1, 3, 6, 8, 10 and 13.
W.P. Rifles +1 to strike at levels 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11, and 13.
Coma/Death: +3
Magic (varies): +5**
Lethal Poison (14+): +3
Non-Lethal Poison (16+): +3
Insanity (10+): +1
Psionics (10+): +1**
Horror Factor (varies): +4
Possession: +4
**+4 to save vs mind-altering drugs, magical charms, and mental confusion.
**-1 to save vs Illusions and Telepathic or Empathic probes and attacks.
User avatar
Isaiah Peirce
Posts: 25
Joined: Fri Aug 25, 2023 6:58 am

Re: Getting Their Bearings: Part Two

Post by Isaiah Peirce »

Perception: 1d100: [31] = 31 /40%
JiC: 1d20: [15] = 15 / 1d100: [94] = 94

Conditions: Sense Supernatural Evil (350ft) | Sixth Sense (Inactive)


Skills:



Post:

A creature in the mine. Isaiah holds whatever paper he's holding when the note's words are made known as he slowly shakes his head. 'And then humans gained the power to open the gates of hell.' Isaiah recalls reading somewhere. Focus, no. So; a ceature... living there already or converted? Isaiah begins musing about what may thrive in the dark, cold mine. A creature that lives in the dark... I wonder if we can find any flares to take with us. Isaiah thinks, suddenly glancing around the library as if expecting to see a collection of flares then sighing.
Sean wrote:"I suppose knowing more about the mine would be good... Maybe we should split up. I thinking a group goes and talks to the B&L management... Maybe a play to get their mine back open."
Zachary wrote:"I'd be satisfied with another dead spirit, but I guess getting a bit of pay beyond the good graces of the public is good too. You said you have a card? I take it you've done this sort of thing before?" Zachary also gestures in the direction of the study. "If you're looking for books, you'll want to head to the study. The old captain had a heck of a collection." replies Zachary "There's some stuff on the occult and such, not all in English. Not sure how much you'll find on the town itself, but maybe there's a snippet here and there that might point to whatever we might find."
Isaiah shrugs but nods, flashing a rather simple looking
Screenshot 2024-01-30 at 8.55.35 AM.png
. "Yeah, well getting a solid start as a Paranormal Investigator isn't exactly easy. Actually, it's mocked. Though, I've helped with a few gigs in my hometown to start building up credibility and have read of several examples of companies hiring P.I.'s for that purpose. Maybe this creature in the mine will be a big break." Isaiah openly muses, taking a drink and tucking his card back into his jacket pocket.
"I suppose knowing more about the mine would be good... Maybe we should split up. I thinking a group goes and talks to the B&L management... Maybe a play to get their mine back open."

"I have a couple ideas on how to play out our help to the owners..."
"Wouldn't hurt. Reckon if we were to split up, some of us could talk to the foremen while the rest of us could talk to the miners." replies Zachary as he glances as Sean, "I'd be curious to hear this idea you've got for us. Or are you going to keep us in suspence?"
Isaiah's nose scrunches at the suggestions. "Could be useful to hear their descriptions of the creature, if any, to help figure out what it is. So, two groups, one for foreman and ground crew, one for management staff" Isaiah agrees slowly before looking to Zach. "Know where the local firehouse is? I want to see about getting our hands on some flares. Or maybe they have some we can grab at the mines?" Isaiah asks Zach then Jake, "Thinking a creature that lives in the deep, cold mine wouldn't be fond of fire or light, no matter what it is. Just as a backup." Isaiah reasons aloud, then pulling a piece of paper and beginning to name some of the creatures of supernatural folk he's heard or read about that might be potential candidates.

To no one in specific, he starts jabbering as he writes, showing a different side than the tired, wet and cranky investigator he was the night before. "First on the list, Bogey Men. Nasty night monsters, seen one before.. Or several types of Ghouls, doesn't really fit, not cave or mine dwellers... Maybe a Garkain? No, not cave dwellers either, nocturnal, yes... Several more... exotic candidates... a Nacarant or Malignous... I don't know enough about them... If we go in there without knowing what it is, we'll be no better than its victims." Isaiah says after looking up at from his scribbled list. "I'll go to B&L Management, and I want to dig into that esoteric library in this place before we actually go into the mine." Isaiah adds.
User avatar
Consumer
Game Master
Posts: 1966
Joined: Sun Sep 13, 2009 2:26 pm
Location: GM/DM (The Templar, PW: Galactic Rogues, BTS:OGoA)
Contact:

Re: Getting Their Bearings: Part Two

Post by Consumer »

Getting their Bearings: Part Two
Time and Weather wrote:Location: Whitlach Estate, Prosperity, West Virginia
Date: Tuesday, March 21st, 1925. 8:30 PM (10 minutes have passed)
Weather: 53 degrees Fahrenheit; Clear Skies.
I.S.P. Modifier: x1
Case Notes: The Mine
Case Notes: The Highway
The group sits and discusses what to do, the folder of missing persons discarded for the singular note it seems. It seems to be in the minds of all present that there needs to be two things done, first is to talk with the folk at the mine, which from Zachary’s last experience was a surly sort. The other is to do research on the mine, what that means particularly is really up to discussion. Sean says he has a plan, but doesn’t elaborate, While it seems no one wants to split up, as everyone says they’re going to speak with the foreman.

This is approximately where the discussion gets, more or less. A fraction of a plan at eight thirty at night. Isaiah verbally considers some creatures that could be the problem, but he finds the problem that most folk do when they have little to no information to go on, they find themselves guessing, and have nothing to verify with. A few problems come to the minds of both Sean and Jake, being locals to the area.

The first is Barrow and Locke Mining Consortium. One of the largest companies in the Appalachian mountains. The company is not known for its forthcomingness or friendliness, which is common among mining companies of this era, even Jake who works in the mine for them finds them to be near cruel taskmasters only worried about the bottomline. So getting any information out of them is likely going to be very difficult. On top of that, any government interference is likely to not happen as they’re likely paid off.

The second is the miners of Number Eight Mineshaft. Jake, having worked in six his entire time in prosperity, could only tell you bit and pieces of the others he has worked with. And given B&L’s ruthlessness, they likely will censure any miner telling stories. Finding someone among the miners who not only knows what happened, but is also willing to talk is going to be a task in itself.

What Are Your Intentions?

I’m gonna give the group another week to work out a more detailed plan, or switch gears. ~Consumer

Zachary: HP: 42/42, S.D.C. 12/29, I.S.P.: 9/9
Sean: HP:18/18, S.D.C.: 46/50, I.S.P.: 12/12
Isaiah: HP: 16/16, S.D.C.: 29, I.S.P.: 13/13
Violet: HP: 16/16, S.D.C.: 36/36, I.S.P.: 9/9
Jake HP: 16/16, S.D.C. 70/70, I.S.P.: 11/11
"All things age. All things die. In the end, our sun burns out. Our universe grows cold and perishes. But the Dark Dimension, it’s the place beyond time."
GM of The Templar, Phase World: Galactic Rogues, Beyond the Supernatural: Old Gods of Appalachia
PP Ledger
User avatar
Sean Burke
Posts: 40
Joined: Tue Jul 11, 2023 10:47 am

Re: Getting Their Bearings: Part Two

Post by Sean Burke »

Perception: 30% vs 1d100: [7] = 7
JIC: 1d20: [14] = 14 and 1d100: [8] = 8
Isaiah Peirce wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2024 9:57 am "I'll go to B&L Management, and I want to dig into that esoteric library in this place before we actually go into the mine." Isaiah adds.
Feeling accomplished that the plan seems to be acceptable to everyone Sean smiles, "Well, if that's settled, we should get some sleep. Tomorrow is a new day and we have had a go of it." Sean turns to Zachary and asks, "Do you have a place I can sleep? I'm not really interested in driving to my apartment tonight."

If Zach says there is, he adds, "We will need to figure out where their headquarters is. Does this place have a telephone? Maybe we can ask the operator for a connection?"

If the house does have a telephone Sean will pick up the handset and try to ring the operator and asks, "Do you have an address or phone number for Barrow Mining?"

Sean adds, "So tomorrow, Issaiah and I can go to Barrow Mining and Jake and Zach, you guys can try to make friends with some miners?" Sean's head tilts slightly as he continues, "I don't think that Barrow is going to care what their miner's think. I do think they will care that their mine is closed. I want to propose to them that we can, clear the mine. It will allow them to open the mine back up. I think we can leave discussion of cost until the job is done. Hell, if we can actually do this, they may have other needs of us as well."
User avatar
Jake Foster
Posts: 16
Joined: Tue Nov 21, 2023 9:17 am

Re: Getting Their Bearings: Part Two

Post by Jake Foster »

Perception: 30% 1d100: [58] = 58 (See signature for bonuses)
JIC: 1d20: [15] = 15 and 1d100: [7] = 7
Status: Open to Supernatural
===
Jake shakes his head at the mention of a phone. "Not sure who has a telephone in town, sorry. I know they were talking about building a line up here, but I have no idea what came of it."
Sean Burke wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2024 11:26 am Sean adds, "So tomorrow, Issaiah and I can go to Barrow Mining and Jake and Zach, you guys can try to make friends with some miners?" Sean's head tilts slightly as he continues, "I don't think that Barrow is going to care what their miner's think. I do think they will care that their mine is closed.

I want to propose to them that we can, clear the mine. It will allow them to open the mine back up. I think we can leave discussion of cost until the job is done. Hell, if we can actually do this, they may have other needs of us as well."
Jake remains skeptical. "That all depends on the official reason why it's closed. Maybe they got too many dead miners and they are just trying to keep a lid on it. Whatever it is, I doubt it's because they think there's a demon or ghosts or whatever down there. I'm telling you if you go to them with stories about spooky monsters, they'll just laugh at you... or threaten you to shut you up. I guess you could try it. I'm new here. I just don't think that approach would go over too well."

He mulls over how to approach the workers. "So, I can find out where they go in town. A favorite diner or saloon. I learned this trick where I bring up a topic in conversation or even ask a question direct, and no matter what lie they try to spin out loud, I can hear the truth in their head. If they're really good at keeping secrets I can dig deeper in their thoughts if I have to. It takes concentration, though, so someone has to keep them distracted."

Jake's own thoughts rewind as he got so caught up in the plan itself.
Sean Burke wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2024 11:26 am Sean adds, "So tomorrow, Issaiah and I can go to Barrow Mining and Jake and Zach, you guys can try to make friends with some miners?"
"Wait tomorrow? Shit, I got work. I... I can tell 'em I'm sick I guess, but..." That's a whole 8 bucks. Damn. And I just got back from taking a couple days off to go upstate. He shakes his head. "If one of you can find out who they are, I can go to wherever they spend time after 7 or so when I get home." He mumbles to himself, "Shit, this is going to be a problem isn't it."
Character Sheet: viewtopic.php?p=1397296#p1397296
I.Q.: 9
M.E.: 16
M.A.: 9
P.S.: 18
P.P.: 12
P.E.: 18
P.B.: 7
Speed: 9

PHYSICAL DATA
P.P.E.: 5
I.S.P.: 11 (+2 / level) (Multiplied by x2/x4/etc vs higher supernatural threats)
H.P.: 16 + 1D6/level
S.D.C.: 70
Age: 29
Sex: Male
Height: 5'9"
Weight: 190
Description: Caucasian, rough around the edges, sandy blonde hair and beard.
30% (+3%) / 50% (Sixth Sense) / 65% (Open to Supernatural)
Sense Supernatural Evil (Range: 300 ft + 50/level)
Sense fluxes of > 20 PPE Range: 600 ft + 100/level) (Open to Supernatural)
Recognizes Possession - Base Skill: 50% (+5%)
Recognizes Magic Enchantment - 30% (+5%)
+ 10% if the magic is evil/hurtful
+ 20% when possessed by an evil supernatural being.

HTH Type: Basic
Number of Attacks: 5
Initiative Bonus: +6 (Sixth Sense)
Strike Bonus:
Parry Bonus: +2 / +4 (Sixth Sense)
Dodge Bonus: +2 / +5 (Sixth Sense)
HTH Damage Bonus: +3
Bonus to Roll w/Punch: +4
Bonus to Pull a Punch: +2
Bonus to Disarm:
Other: When using any powers: No initiative roll, only 4 Attacks per melee

Weapon Proficiencies
W.P. Knife +1 to strike at levels 2, 4, 7, 10, and 13. +1 to parry at levels, 1, 3, 6, 9, and 12. +1 to strike when thrown at levels, 1, 3, 6, 8, 10 and 13.
W.P. Rifles +1 to strike at levels 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11, and 13.
Coma/Death: +3
Magic (varies): +5**
Lethal Poison (14+): +3
Non-Lethal Poison (16+): +3
Insanity (10+): +1
Psionics (10+): +1**
Horror Factor (varies): +4
Possession: +4
**+4 to save vs mind-altering drugs, magical charms, and mental confusion.
**-1 to save vs Illusions and Telepathic or Empathic probes and attacks.
User avatar
Isaiah Peirce
Posts: 25
Joined: Fri Aug 25, 2023 6:58 am

Re: Getting Their Bearings: Part Two

Post by Isaiah Peirce »

Perception: 1d100: [19] = 19 /40%
JiC: 1d20: [10] = 10 / 1d100: [94] = 94

Conditions: Sense Supernatural Evil (350ft) | Sixth Sense (Inactive)


Skills:



Post:

Isaiah listens to Sean and Jake with a nod to either side of his head. Eh, I'm not sure this'll work though. Might be wasting time. Isaiah considers privately, leaning back in his chair and looking at the ceiling. When Jake mentions he has a work shift, Isaiah glances over to the miner. "Try to see if you can grab some flares or the like during your shift." Isaiah suggests, glancing back towards Sean, Zachary and Violet. "If we're trying to work together on this, might be best to use this these next few days to see what we can learn and on Jake's next day off, if we're ready, we go. Meet every night to discuss what we've learned." Isaiah adds to his suggestion.

Turning to Sean. "Before we go to this B&L, we should stop by Carl's Diner and talk to the owner. He's got some good information, he may be a better lead to start with than the suits." Isaiah finishes.
Paranormal Investigator Isaiah S. Peirce | EP Ledger

Important Numbers: Perception 40% | H.P.: 16 | S.D.C: 29 | I.S.P.: 13
Magic (varies): +1
Lethal Poison (14+): +3
Non-Lethal Poison (16+): +3
Insanity (12+): +1
Psionics (10): +3
Horror Factor (varies): +3
Mind Altering effects (magic, mental or drug): +3
User avatar
Sean Burke
Posts: 40
Joined: Tue Jul 11, 2023 10:47 am

Re: Getting Their Bearings: Part Two

Post by Sean Burke »

Sean Burke wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2024 11:26 am Perception: 30% vs 1d100: [7] = 7
JIC: 1d20: [14] = 14 and 1d100: [8] = 8
Jake Foster wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2024 12:30 pm Jake remains skeptical. "That all depends on the official reason why it's closed. Maybe they got too many dead miners and they are just trying to keep a lid on it. Whatever it is, I doubt it's because they think there's a demon or ghosts or whatever down there. I'm telling you if you go to them with stories about spooky monsters, they'll just laugh at you... or threaten you to shut you up. I guess you could try it. I'm new here. I just don't think that approach would go over too well."
Sean nods his head at the comment, "for sure your right about that. I don't think tales of monsters is the way to lead in on this. They know something is killing miners... hard to keep that secret if they just let it keep happening. We simply approach it like that. We are problem solvers. We can make whatever creature, bear, wolf, or whatever their little pea brains think it is... poof, just go away."

Sean smiles delighted... "Hell, we can offer it up as a gift. A get to know us bonus. Then... maybe... just maybe... if they have future issues, they might look to us."

Sean tilts his head nodding, "But... your right. Nobody wants to hear tales of monsters or boogie men. They don't believe things go bump in the night. Most won't believe it if they see it. Hell! I still don't, really... fully... believe it."
Isaiah Peirce wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 7:58 pm Turning to Sean. "Before we go to this B&L, we should stop by Carl's Diner and talk to the owner. He's got some good information, he may be a better lead to start with than the suits." Isaiah finishes.
"Well, seems like we got everyone's brain working overtime. Sounds like a fine plan though. Stop and see Carl. See if he's heard anything about cave dwelling baddies. I have no doubt he has. Then we can talk to the suits." Sean considers for a second, "You got any of those fancy cards that just says normal investigations on it. Ole Jakey boy makes a fair point."
User avatar
Zachary Splindt
Posts: 129
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2021 3:17 pm

Re: Getting Their Bearings: Part Two

Post by Zachary Splindt »

Perception: 1d100: [14] = 14 (23%)
JIC 1D100: 1d100: [5] = 5
JIC 1D20: 1d20: [13] = 13
Conditions: Closed to the Supernatural
Sean Burke wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2024 11:26 am Feeling accomplished that the plan seems to be acceptable to everyone Sean smiles, "Well, if that's settled, we should get some sleep. Tomorrow is a new day and we have had a go of it." Sean turns to Zachary and asks, "Do you have a place I can sleep? I'm not really interested in driving to my apartment tonight."
Sean Burke wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2024 11:26 am If Zach says there is, he adds, "We will need to figure out where their headquarters is. Does this place have a telephone? Maybe we can ask the operator for a connection?"
Zachary gestures in the direction of the stairs. "Should be a place to sleep for everyone. We managed to fit five people in the building last I checked. It'll be nice to get some company around here. No phone here, if I remember right."
Sean Burke wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2024 11:26 am
Jake Foster wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2024 12:30 pm Jake remains skeptical. "That all depends on the official reason why it's closed. Maybe they got too many dead miners and they are just trying to keep a lid on it. Whatever it is, I doubt it's because they think there's a demon or ghosts or whatever down there. I'm telling you if you go to them with stories about spooky monsters, they'll just laugh at you... or threaten you to shut you up. I guess you could try it. I'm new here. I just don't think that approach would go over too well."
Sean nods his head at the comment, "for sure your right about that. I don't think tales of monsters is the way to lead in on this. They know something is killing miners... hard to keep that secret if they just let it keep happening. We simply approach it like that. We are problem solvers. We can make whatever creature, bear, wolf, or whatever their little pea brains think it is... poof, just go away."

Sean smiles delighted... "Hell, we can offer it up as a gift. A get to know us bonus. Then... maybe... just maybe... if they have future issues, they might look to us."

Sean tilts his head nodding, "But... your right. Nobody wants to hear tales of monsters or boogie men. They don't believe things go bump in the night. Most won't believe it if they see it. Hell! I still don't, really... fully... believe it."
Zachary's brow if furrowed slightly, but tries to keep a straight face."I've never got it to work out myself, coming out and offering services for ghost hunting... if this even is a ghost. I've always covered it up by calling it a homicide. We're around the Appalachians, right? Think you said something about a bear? Maybe that oughta get their attention."
Sean Burke wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2024 11:26 am Sean adds, "So tomorrow, Issaiah and I can go to Barrow Mining and Jake and Zach, you guys can try to make friends with some miners?" Sean's head tilts slightly as he continues, "I don't think that Barrow is going to care what their miner's think. I do think they will care that their mine is closed. I want to propose to them that we can, clear the mine. It will allow them to open the mine back up. I think we can leave discussion of cost until the job is done. Hell, if we can actually do this, they may have other needs of us as well."
Zachary nods in agreement, although notices Jake acting a bit down. Guess those B&L folks really drill down on their miners on a missed day of work. Hoping to lighten the mood somewhat, Zachary begins to speak. "Wouldn't mind a chat with some of the miners. Better than getting anywhere near those darned mining contraptions. Besides, bet these dusty clothes will help me blend in!" Zachary chuckles at his own joke before awkwardly clearing his throat and continuing. "Jake said something about keeping them distracted, right? If there’s a watering hole or somesuch, I reckon someone won’t turn down a good drink. Maybe a deck of cards can break the ice. I’d wonder if they would react to outsiders, but I guess we’re not exactly outsiders in Prosperity now, are we?"

(Assuming next GM post moves us to the following morning)Zachary yawns as the late hour makes him weary. “Folks, it’ll be a pleasure working with you. For tonight however, I believe I’m going to retire. Early morning and all.” Waving to the rest of the party, Zachary ascends the stairs to wherever he had been sleeping all this time, and tried to get some sleep for the following morning.
User avatar
Violet Rhodes
Posts: 11
Joined: Mon Oct 23, 2023 10:00 am

Re: Getting Their Bearings: Part Two

Post by Violet Rhodes »

Perception: 1d100: [56] = 56 / 15% (+15% involving fire, accelerants, combustibles, potential fire hazards, and the aftermath of fire.)
JiC d100: 1d100: [33] = 33 ; JiC d20: 1d20: [1] = 1


Violet is indeed silent for a good while, listening to the men about her prattle on and talk while she sits damply in an outfit never meant to touch lake water, let alone be dunked in it, repeatedly. It had taken until they grouped together in the evening to get it even this dry. Halfway through the conversation, she lights another cigarette, puffing it as she eyes the others. Everyone's focused on this mine, huh? Wonderful. At least I can go with a good excuse not to get dolled up. Her thoughts turn decidedly more sour when it's figured the foremen and management might need convincing. Or not. Lovely.
Isaiah Peirce wrote:"If we're trying to work together on this, might be best to use this these next few days to see what we can learn and on Jake's next day off, if we're ready, we go. Meet every night to discuss what we've learned." Isaiah adds to his suggestion.
Vi takes a drag of her cig and shrugs, crossing her legs and leaning back in her chair. "What great places you all treat a lady to," she responds, her voice flat. "But so far our plan is to go and ask around and hope for the best. Look, I can turn a face or two and sweet talk a few of them here and there. But I'm a singer, I don't know nothing about mining except how to prevent coal fires." She doesn't bother to elaborate on where she got that knowledge.

She flicks the tip of her nicotine stick at Jake. "So, we get a back-up plan, right? In case the miner's traps are locked up as tight as you say they are and we can't pry them open. Something's up with Mine #8, and if the people on the ground won't let us in, we'll get in our own way to investigate. You know your way around your mine. Anything trade secrets we could use to slip in if we need to?" She shrugs. "Ain't a perfect idea. Ain't your mine we're going to, could be whole different procedure. But it's something we've got so we don't gotta go back to music theory and start all over if our first plan of talking to them don't work none."

As the night wraps up, Violet puts out her cigarette and finds one of the bedrooms to sleep in. She makes sure it's locked before going to bed, considering she was sleeping in a strange building with strange men.
Violet Rhodes
Her voice is on fire!

Current Status

I.S.P.: 9 / 9
H.P.: 16 / 16
S.D.C.: 36 / 36

Constant Conditions
Resistant to Fire
A natural P.C.C. ability, the psychic is not adversely affected by hot air temperature; up to 100 degrees Fahrenheit feels comfortable. However, they dislike the cold. Feels chilled and must dress in a sweater and/or coat in temperatures below 58 degrees. The character can also physically pick up and handle hot (not burning hot) objects such as a hot potato right out of the oven or a hot cup of coffee, a warm coal, and takes half damage from steam and fire. No I.S.P. cost.
User avatar
Consumer
Game Master
Posts: 1966
Joined: Sun Sep 13, 2009 2:26 pm
Location: GM/DM (The Templar, PW: Galactic Rogues, BTS:OGoA)
Contact:

Re: Getting Their Bearings: Part Two

Post by Consumer »

Getting their Bearings: Part Two
Time and Weather wrote:Location: Whitlach Estate, Prosperity, West Virginia
Date: Wednesday, March 22nd, 1925. 8:30 AM (12 hours have passed)
Weather: 50 degrees Fahrenheit; Raining.
I.S.P. Modifier: x1
Case Notes: The Mine
Case Notes: The Highway
The consensus is to talk with the management at Mine number eight. Being later at night, the group adjourns for bed and an early morning. The only person who leaves at the end of the evening is Jake, heading back to his own domicile on the edges of Prosperity. The night is relatively quiet at first, almost like something is smothering the sound of the world, until a hair after midnight the wind begins to howl and the clouds that have been gathering over the evening tear open and disgorge a deluge of water.

Sean wakes suddenly around four in the morning, hard to tell with the lighting and the strangeness of the house. Sean finds his senses on edge, but doesn’t feel in danger, just emotionally charged for some reason. Thinking on it a bit, he does note that he hasn’t seen Henry in a while, usually the old soldier is hovering nearby when he’s at home.Looking around, Sean does eventually find the spirit, standing forlornly some fifty feet away from the house. Though Sean can’t hear the ghost saying anything, he feels the spirit is barred access from coming any closer.

Isaiah wakes with a bit of a start, the book he had been reading had fallen from his hand, making enough of a noise to startle him. The candle he had been reading by, having guttered out some time ago. Isaiah is still a bit in awe of the size of the old Captain’s collection of books. It covers a very wide range of topics, but apparently, Captain Whitlach didn’t believe in organization, and to organize this collection would be a monumental task at the very least.

Zachary finds that his sleep is troubled, mostly due to aches and pains of the past few days. That ghost had done a number on him, tossing him into the bushes. The scratches of the brambles itched, while the bruises of the impact throbbed. All in all it makes for a miserable night’s sleep.

Violet, in the comfort of a room, wakes to a tapping on the window near her bed. It takes the lighting of a candle to give her enough a view as to what woke her. A crow or maybe a raven sitting on the window sill. It stares at Violet with a deep black eye, for a long moment before cawing and flying off.

The morning comes, and the investigators awaken a bit weary from their interrupted sleep, to the dreary sounds of rain pattering on the roof and walls of the manor house. The rooms are chilly, but unlike when Zachary first entered this house a few months ago, it doesn’t carry the sense of dread about it. It’s almost like the house likes being lived in, like it needs to serve its purpose. There are provisions in crates and cupboards for breakfast, they only need to be utilized.

Meanwhile a few miles away, Jake finds himself miserable.The rain means more work, and furthermore it means that the foreman and his assistants are more grouchy than usual. With the rain it means part of the crew is on pump detail, removing excess water from the mine, and Jake so happens to be one of the men on this task, and he’s been on it for the past two and a half hours. Working with him are Greg, a young kid, no more than sixteen, and Brian, a taciturn old man, who wheezes with every few runs of the pump. No one is happy today, and Brian seems extra grumpy for having to man one of the pumps.

What Are Your Intentions?

Zachary: HP: 42/42, S.D.C. 29/29, I.S.P.: 9/9
Sean: HP:18/18, S.D.C.: 50/50, I.S.P.: 12/12
Isaiah: HP: 16/16, S.D.C.: 29/29, I.S.P.: 13/13
Violet: HP: 16/16, S.D.C.: 36/36, I.S.P.: 9/9
Jake HP: 16/16, S.D.C. 70/70, I.S.P.: 11/11
"All things age. All things die. In the end, our sun burns out. Our universe grows cold and perishes. But the Dark Dimension, it’s the place beyond time."
GM of The Templar, Phase World: Galactic Rogues, Beyond the Supernatural: Old Gods of Appalachia
PP Ledger
User avatar
Sean Burke
Posts: 40
Joined: Tue Jul 11, 2023 10:47 am

Re: Getting Their Bearings: Part Two

Post by Sean Burke »

Perception: 30% vs 1d100: [16] = 16
JIC: 1d20: [12] = 12 and 1d100: [69] = 69

Skills

Charm/Impress: 10% vs 1d100: [35] = 35 - Charm the secretary.

Sean wakes a little unsettled about Henry stuck outside, It's not like he is a dog... I don't think he will get cold. I just like having him here. He considers asking the Carl or the Comstocks if they know what could be keeping Henry out, A later time... first things first. The other stangeness doesn't seem to bother him as much. he has become accustomed to strange feelings.

Sean heads down to the kitchen looking for some coffee. When he sees the others, he greats them cheerfully. "Well another day has dawned. If we are all still settled on our plan, I'll be heading to the local mining office today. Hopefully I can get actual permission to go in. Maybe even an agreement for some compensation if we are successful." Sean looks to the others, "will any of you be joining me?"

Sean offers to drive and is glad to take any along that want to come. He reminds them, "Any more than one and the ride may get a bit intimate." With a wry smile he continues, "Not something I am scared of."


Heading to the Barrow local office

Sean drives to the local office and parks out front. This isn't likely to go well, he thinks to himself. Don't mention any ghosties... they won't take kindly to it. Sean pumps himself up, takes a deep breath and walks into the office. He approaches the secretary with a big, charming smiles and says, "Good morning darlin... I was wondering if one of the suits might be available to talk. I have some great news about one of the mines I think they would love to hear."
User avatar
Jake Foster
Posts: 16
Joined: Tue Nov 21, 2023 9:17 am

Re: Getting Their Bearings: Part Two

Post by Jake Foster »

Perception: d100: [44] = 44 (see post signature)
JIC: d20: [20] = 20 -- d100: [47] = 47
(Open to Supernatural)
===
Jake wakes up energized. Finding out you aren't crazy and having a new purpose in life will do that.

His mood quickly sours as the sound of rain reminds him of his otherwise dreary reality. How in hell am I supposed to focus on work knowing what I know now?

But that's exactly what he has to do. This much rain makes the work dangerous. And slower. And harder. So he dons his poncho over his work clothes and trudges out to catch Mal's truck before he leaves without him, praying they didn't put him on pump detail.
Consumer wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 8:53 pm With the rain it means part of the crew is on pump detail, removing excess water from the mine, and Jake so happens to be one of the men on this task, and he’s been on it for the past two and a half hours. Working with him are Greg, a young kid, no more than sixteen, and Brian, a taciturn old man, who wheezes with every few runs of the pump. No one is happy today, and Brian seems extra grumpy for having to man one of the pumps.
What are they thinking putting a guy in his shape out here?

When the opportunity presents itself, Jake says, "They probably told you to be happy you even have a job, right?" He will try to get to know Brian and Greg a little more and discretely asks if they heard anything about Number 6 closing, or if they know anyone who works out that way. If more time passes through the day, Jake will try to convince the foreman to get someone younger on the pump or Brian will get sick.
Character Sheet: viewtopic.php?p=1397296#p1397296
I.Q.: 9
M.E.: 16
M.A.: 9
P.S.: 18
P.P.: 12
P.E.: 18
P.B.: 7
Speed: 9

PHYSICAL DATA
P.P.E.: 5
I.S.P.: 11 (+2 / level) (Multiplied by x2/x4/etc vs higher supernatural threats)
H.P.: 16 + 1D6/level
S.D.C.: 70
Age: 29
Sex: Male
Height: 5'9"
Weight: 190
Description: Caucasian, rough around the edges, sandy blonde hair and beard.
30% (+3%) / 50% (Sixth Sense) / 65% (Open to Supernatural)
Sense Supernatural Evil (Range: 300 ft + 50/level)
Sense fluxes of > 20 PPE Range: 600 ft + 100/level) (Open to Supernatural)
Recognizes Possession - Base Skill: 50% (+5%)
Recognizes Magic Enchantment - 30% (+5%)
+ 10% if the magic is evil/hurtful
+ 20% when possessed by an evil supernatural being.

HTH Type: Basic
Number of Attacks: 5
Initiative Bonus: +6 (Sixth Sense)
Strike Bonus:
Parry Bonus: +2 / +4 (Sixth Sense)
Dodge Bonus: +2 / +5 (Sixth Sense)
HTH Damage Bonus: +3
Bonus to Roll w/Punch: +4
Bonus to Pull a Punch: +2
Bonus to Disarm:
Other: When using any powers: No initiative roll, only 4 Attacks per melee

Weapon Proficiencies
W.P. Knife +1 to strike at levels 2, 4, 7, 10, and 13. +1 to parry at levels, 1, 3, 6, 9, and 12. +1 to strike when thrown at levels, 1, 3, 6, 8, 10 and 13.
W.P. Rifles +1 to strike at levels 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11, and 13.
Coma/Death: +3
Magic (varies): +5**
Lethal Poison (14+): +3
Non-Lethal Poison (16+): +3
Insanity (10+): +1
Psionics (10+): +1**
Horror Factor (varies): +4
Possession: +4
**+4 to save vs mind-altering drugs, magical charms, and mental confusion.
**-1 to save vs Illusions and Telepathic or Empathic probes and attacks.
User avatar
Isaiah Peirce
Posts: 25
Joined: Fri Aug 25, 2023 6:58 am

Re: Getting Their Bearings: Part Two

Post by Isaiah Peirce »

Perception: 1d100: [13] = 13 /40%
JiC: 1d20: [14] = 14 / 1d100: [39] = 39

Conditions: Sense Supernatural Evil (350ft) | Sixth Sense (Inactive)


Skills:
Cook: 1d100: [22] = 22 /40% (Cook some breakfast)
Pilot, Automobile: 1d100: [56] = 56 /65% (Use the car in the house)
Streetwise: 1d100: [45] = 45 /35% (Make it back to Carl's Diner)

Post:

Isaiah blinks awake at the thud and looks around, then picking up the book and checking the pages before setting it down. Sitting in the dark library, Isaiah sighs and leans back. Beautiful collection, could be a bit more organized. Isaiah muses before yawning and shaking his head. "May as well find somewhere to lie down." Isaiah resigns and gets up. If possible, Isaiah will relight the candle and make his way towards his given room to wait out the rest of the night.
"Well another day has dawned. If we are all still settled on our plan, I'll be heading to the local mining office today. Hopefully I can get actual permission to go in. Maybe even an agreement for some compensation if we are successful." ... "will any of you be joining me?"
When morning comes, Isaiah explores the kitchen and tries his hand at some bacon, muffins and/or toast. If it turns out to be good, he offers it to the others. If he burns it, he panics and tries to hide the evidence and smell while also hiding his newfound and disappointed stomach cries. When Sean arrives, Isaiah shakes his head. "I'm going to check out the car in the garage, then go chat up with Carl first. Think going to him is more worthwhile than the suits, at least to start. We can meet back here in the afternoon. There's room for those to follow me as well." Isaiah suggests. Isaiah will then go investigate the car in the garage and if he gets it working, try to find his way back to Carl's Diner.
Paranormal Investigator Isaiah S. Peirce | EP Ledger

Important Numbers: Perception 40% | H.P.: 16 | S.D.C: 29 | I.S.P.: 13
Magic (varies): +1
Lethal Poison (14+): +3
Non-Lethal Poison (16+): +3
Insanity (12+): +1
Psionics (10): +3
Horror Factor (varies): +3
Mind Altering effects (magic, mental or drug): +3
User avatar
Zachary Splindt
Posts: 129
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2021 3:17 pm

Re: Getting Their Bearings: Part Two

Post by Zachary Splindt »

Perception: 1d100: [74] = 74 (26%)
JIC 1D100: 1d100: [97] = 97
JIC 1D20: 1d20: [5] = 5
Conditions: Closed to the Supernatural

Zachary awakens, the slight aches of the encounter in the lake causing the detective to wince a couple times as he makes his way down the stairs. “Glad it’s not my ribs this time” he mumbles as he joins the others.

Looking around the room for Jake, Zachary notices the miner had left. Taking a moment to realize that he had not considered Jake would be at work, Zachary begins to think of a backup plan. I could try breaking into the mine but, no. This isn’t a ghost hunt. We’re just talking to miners. Where else would miners go this early in the morning? As Zachatu considers his options, he hears Sean and Isaiah speak.
Isaiah Peirce wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 5:47 pm
"Well another day has dawned. If we are all still settled on our plan, I'll be heading to the local mining office today. Hopefully I can get actual permission to go in. Maybe even an agreement for some compensation if we are successful." ... "will any of you be joining me?"
"I'm going to check out the car in the garage, then go chat up with Carl first. Think going to him is more worthwhile than the suits, at least to start. We can meet back here in the afternoon. There's room for those to follow me as well."
Hoping to stick with the plan and figure out his next move, Zachary decides to accompany Isaiah. “I reckon that old car still works. Checked it for hauntings. Not a trace in engine nor motor, so it oughta be safe. Hope you don’t mind if I join in.” Zachary follows Isaiah outside and tries to start the car. Assuming it works (and the keys to the car are still within the Whitlach estate), Zachary will drive them both back to the diner.
User avatar
Consumer
Game Master
Posts: 1966
Joined: Sun Sep 13, 2009 2:26 pm
Location: GM/DM (The Templar, PW: Galactic Rogues, BTS:OGoA)
Contact:

Re: Getting Their Bearings: Part Two

Post by Consumer »

Getting their Bearings: Part Two
Time and Weather wrote:Location: Whitlach Estate, Prosperity, West Virginia
Date: Wednesday, March 22nd, 1925. 9:30 AM (1 hour has passed)
Weather: 50 degrees Fahrenheit; Raining.
I.S.P. Modifier: x1
Case Notes: The Mine
Case Notes: The Highway
At Mine Number Six
Jake

If the management cared about the old timer, Jake’s protestations further tell him that they don’t. The work is tiring, and the two men working with him are doing so without any semblance of joy. The rain continues to pour, with little sign of letting up. Jake can see the other miners going about their work rolling carts of black coal to waiting train cars, preparing to ship to wherever Barrow takes such stuff. It’s all a bit above Jakes paygrade to know that particular information. In the distance he can see the foreman standing on the porch of the office building outside of the mine entrance. A generally surly individual named Hammond, he seems to be chatting with his two underlings. None of them seem to know Jake, or care about his existence.

Jake tries to ask Greg and Brian about the closing of Mine Number Eight, but neither man knows anything about it. In fact it seems to be news to them.

At Mine Number Eight
Sean

Sean makes his way to Mine Number Eight. It is a winding trip across the New Gorge River and over what amounts to a mountain. All in all the four mile trip nearly takes Sean an hour. Once there, he finds the parking area near the mine very full for a supposedly closed mine; a few dozen cars and trucks litter the lot. From the lot, he can see several people rushing about to get out of the rain, when they can. Near the mine entrance is a building that has a sign that states it is the office. Sean makes his way there, to find several folks moving about doing a variety of clerical duties. One of the women looks up at Sean. ”Can I help you?” She asks.
Sean Burke wrote:"Good morning darlin... I was wondering if one of the suits might be available to talk. I have some great news about one of the mines I think they would love to hear."
The woman looks a bit confused, but shrugs and looks at a book on her desk. ”Mr. Davis should be available. Just head through that door.” The secretary says, pointing to a door near the back of the building.

At Carl’s Diner
Isaiah and Zachary

Talk of the car in the garage, brings the two investigators together. Zachary talks about the car not being haunted, not that that would mean anything to whether the car works or not, but the duo try to see if they can get it started. It appears Callum may have done the necessary repairs on it before he left the house. As the engine sputters to life.

The drive to Carl’s is uneventful, and generally boring, the rain keeping most folk inside it seems. This proves even truer when the duo arrive at the diner, only two vehicles sit in the lot, and Zachary is sure they’re employees. Inside is quiet, Carl sitting at the bar, newspaper in hand. The waitress, and woman named Margarette leans on the counter, while the sasquatch of a man Leo, shuffles back and forth in the kitchen, as viewable through the little passthrough window. Carl looks to Isiah and Zachary.

”Morning, coffee, breakfast? Sit wherever you’d like.” Margarette says.

What Are Your Intentions?

Zachary: HP: 42/42, S.D.C. 29/29, I.S.P.: 9/9
Sean: HP:18/18, S.D.C.: 50/50, I.S.P.: 12/12
Isaiah: HP: 16/16, S.D.C.: 29/29, I.S.P.: 13/13
Violet: HP: 16/16, S.D.C.: 36/36, I.S.P.: 9/9
Jake HP: 16/16, S.D.C. 70/70, I.S.P.: 11/11
"All things age. All things die. In the end, our sun burns out. Our universe grows cold and perishes. But the Dark Dimension, it’s the place beyond time."
GM of The Templar, Phase World: Galactic Rogues, Beyond the Supernatural: Old Gods of Appalachia
PP Ledger
User avatar
Sean Burke
Posts: 40
Joined: Tue Jul 11, 2023 10:47 am

Re: Getting Their Bearings: Part Two

Post by Sean Burke »

Perception: 30% vs 1d100: [65] = 65
JIC: 1d20: [20] = 20 and 1d100: [73] = 73
Conditions: None

Skills
Invoke Trust: 25% vs 1d100: [70] = 70 - Try to present a sense of being trustworthy while presenting.
Olfactory Symbols and Omens - ISP: 3, Sean takes a good sniff in the office to see if there is anything off with the scent.
Scientists agree that the sense of smell is strongly tied to memory and recollection. A particular smell might remind you of Grandma's house and unleash a torrent of fond memories and warm emotions. The smell of antiseptic mingled with blood might remind you of the intensive care unit or the death of a loved one. Meanwhile, the aroma of fresh baked bread might remind you of the bakery you passed every day on the way to school or of mom's home cooking.

The Psychic Medium's link to his Spirit Guide provides the character with additional information, clues and warnings through the character's sense of smell, but not ordinary smells, these are phantom odors that hold special meanings.

Phantom odors do not occur on a regular or constant basis. Phantom odors only happen when the Psychic Medium is concentrating on a specific problem, he spends two I.S.P., and is actively searching for clues. If the phantom odor is strong, the danger is immediate or a supernatural presence.
close at hand. A slight smell is likely to indicate a presence or involvement of the supernatural in the past.
I.S.P.: 3.
Duration: Current: 3, One melee round per level of experience.
Note: Phantom smells may also occur as an automatic warning system (at no I.S.P. cost) to alert the character to immediate danger from supernatural evil or magic.


Post

Sean walks to the office confused, This doesn't look like an shut down mine to me. He walks into the office wondering what he will say to the mine boss now, What am I even doing here? If it isn't shut down? Doesn't even look like we are needed here.
Consumer wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 8:19 am The woman looks a bit confused, but shrugs and looks at a book on her desk. ”Mr. Davis should be available. Just head through that door.” The secretary says, pointing to a door near the back of the building.
Sean resigns to continuing with some portion of the plan anyway, "Thank you Mam!" He walks through the door looking for Mr. Davis and introduces himself. Holding his hand outstretched he says, "Mr. Davis! My name is Sean Burke. I am talking some time to introduce myself to the local businessmen." He shakes the man's hand if offered and continues, "Myself and my associates are offering our services to those in need. We specialize in investigations of all sorts. We pride ourselves on our confidentiality. As we are new to offering these services locally, we are offering our first investigation free of charge as a way to prove our skills."

Letting go of the man's hands he finishes, "I don't want to take up too much of your time today, but if by chance you had anything you might need help with, it would be our pleasure."

Inside Sean's curses his impetuous nature, I don't even have one of those fancy cards of Isaiah's. Bloody hell. How will I tell the man to reach us.

A quick thought enters his head, and he goes for the only option he can come up with, "Until we are fully settled, you can leave word at Carl's diner. At least until we have an office setup. I find myself having dinner there more often than not."

Before leaving Sean makes mention of how busy the mine is in hopes of gaining some info, "Business looks to be good today. For some reason, I had it in my head that #8 wasn't currently open. Must have been thinking about a different mine."
User avatar
Isaiah Peirce
Posts: 25
Joined: Fri Aug 25, 2023 6:58 am

Re: Getting Their Bearings: Part Two

Post by Isaiah Peirce »

Perception: 1d100: [91] = 91 /40%
JiC: 1d20: [11] = 11 / 1d100: [39] = 39

Conditions: Sense Supernatural Evil (350ft) | Sixth Sense (Inactive)


Skills:


Post:
Zachary wrote:“I reckon that old car still works. Checked it for hauntings. Not a trace in engine nor motor, so it oughta be safe. Hope you don’t mind if I join in.”
Isaiah shakes his head and motions his hand for Zachary to follow. "Not at all. Let's check it out." Isaiah reaffirms as he looks at the car. "Look at this jolopy..." Isaiah mutters to himself as he inspects the olf car. Looks like it's been worked on too, might work. Isaiah muses as he attempts to bring the car to life. A kick of the key and a mumble of some words of hope and need end with the engine sputtering to life. "Hot dog!" Isaiah exclaims, smacking both hands on the steering wheel and looking to Zach. "Alright, burning hay, let's get." Isaiah says and then drives the two (plus extra should Vi or someone else need to be added) to Carl's Diner. The rainfall makes Isaiah drive relatively slowly and he glances to his passangers with a sheepish smile. "Might be my first time driving in weather... Ah, we'll be fine." Isaiah jests with both hands locked on the wheel and apparent apprehension.
Margarette wrote:”Morning, coffee, breakfast? Sit wherever you’d like.”
Isaiah parks close but not next to the other vehicles, leaving some space for them to disembark. Not a lot of folk at the diner during the rainstorm, heh. Isaiah observes as he enters and nods towards Margarette, holding up a finger. "Coffee, please." Isaiah answers, then looks to Carl to attempt to make eye contact and if Carl is looking his way, Isaiah nods his head for the owner to join them when he can. Looking to Margarette, he adds. "We'll wait at the bar, here to see Carl." He adds.

When and if Carl stops by, Isaiah looks to the man and takes a drink before asking his question. "What do you know about the Number Eight mine?" Isaiah asks.
Paranormal Investigator Isaiah S. Peirce | EP Ledger

Important Numbers: Perception 40% | H.P.: 16 | S.D.C: 29 | I.S.P.: 13
Magic (varies): +1
Lethal Poison (14+): +3
Non-Lethal Poison (16+): +3
Insanity (12+): +1
Psionics (10): +3
Horror Factor (varies): +3
Mind Altering effects (magic, mental or drug): +3
User avatar
Zachary Splindt
Posts: 129
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2021 3:17 pm

Re: Getting Their Bearings: Part Two

Post by Zachary Splindt »

Perception: 1d100: [98] = 98 (26%)
JIC 1D100: 1d100: [81] = 81
JIC 1D20: 1d20: [11] = 11
Conditions: Closed to the Supernatural

On the way

Zachary grumbles to himself a bit, but relents as he makes his way into the car. Seem to be doing a lot of driving lately. If it weren't raining I'd go for a walk. Still, better that than a truck. Maybe I can get used to this.
Isaiah Peirce wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 7:07 pm "Hot dog!" Isaiah exclaims, smacking both hands on the steering wheel and looking to Zach. "Alright, burning hay, let's get." Isaiah says and then drives the two (plus extra should Vi or someone else need to be added) to Carl's Diner. The rainfall makes Isaiah drive relatively slowly and he glances to his passangers with a sheepish smile. "Might be my first time driving in weather... Ah, we'll be fine." Isaiah jests with both hands locked on the wheel and apparent apprehension.
Startled at Isaiah's exclamation, Zachary jumps in his seat. Eyes darting around for hauntings, the detective slumps in his chair as Isaiah continues to drive. I guess some habits don't completely change Zachary notes. "Be my guest. Can't be much traffic in a small town like this." Sharing a grin with Isaiah, Zachary sits back and awaits their arrival at the diner.

At the diner
Margarette wrote:”Morning, coffee, breakfast? Sit wherever you’d like.”
Zachary nods in thanks, and calmly takes a seat at the bar. "I'll take a couple coffees, thanks" says the detective. Taking a glance out a window, Zachary enjoys the rain while waiting for the coffee to arrive. Glad we took care of the lake ghost first. Can't imagine what it would be like going out in this Zachary thinks to himself.
Isaiah Peirce wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 7:07 pm "What do you know about the Number Eight mine?"
"I'd be curious to know about that myself" adds Zachary as he turns to face Carl. "I'd also be curious to hear if there were any recent incidents down in the mine that hit the papers. We heard the rumors and all, but it looks like this lead doesn't have the same tally of victims the lake ghost did. Reckon it's something the suits would have it covered up before it hit the papers, but it never hurts to check." Zachary glances at Isaiah and lowers his voice as he continues, hoping to keep only the two in earshot. "Figure if we could get a look at some remains, we might have an idea of what we're dealing with here. How we manage that, we'll have to improvise."
User avatar
Consumer
Game Master
Posts: 1966
Joined: Sun Sep 13, 2009 2:26 pm
Location: GM/DM (The Templar, PW: Galactic Rogues, BTS:OGoA)
Contact:

Re: Getting Their Bearings: Part Two

Post by Consumer »

Getting their Bearings: Part Two
Time and Weather wrote:Location: Whitlach Estate, Prosperity, West Virginia
Date: Wednesday, March 22nd, 1925. 9:40 AM (10 minutes has passed)
Weather: 50 degrees Fahrenheit; Raining.
I.S.P. Modifier: x1
Case Notes: The Mine
Case Notes: The Highway
At Mine Number Six
Jake

Business continues.

No post this week. ~Consumer

At Mine Number Eight
Sean

Sean opens his mind, and takes a deep breath, tasting the hidden aromas in the air. What Sean senses is sickening in it’s totality, though it all comes across as faint. Sean can smell the sickly sweet sour smell of rotten human meat, a smell he’d wish to never sense again. This is paired with the sulphurous smells of spoiled milk and the bitterness of skunk’s spray. This all seems to be overshadowed by the smell of onions.
Sean Burke wrote:"Mr. Davis! My name is Sean Burke. I am talking some time to introduce myself to the local businessmen. Myself and my associates are offering our services to those in need. We specialize in investigations of all sorts. We pride ourselves on our confidentiality. As we are new to offering these services locally, we are offering our first investigation free of charge as a way to prove our skills."
Mr. Davis looks a bit dour, but shakes Sean’s hand briefly. ”An odd thing to offer, especially to a company mine. Can’t say we have use of independent investigators, as we have our own in house services Mr. Burke.” Mr. Davis says, his expression almost oppressive.
Sean Burke wrote:"I don't want to take up too much of your time today, but if by chance you had anything you might need help with, it would be our pleasure."
Mr. Davis shakes his head. ”While I appreciate that you don’t want to waste my time, unsolicited business offers are just that really. No, we have no need for those kinds of services.” Mr. Davis says.
Sean Burke wrote:"Until we are fully settled, you can leave word at Carl's diner. At least until we have an office setup. I find myself having dinner there more often than not."
Mr. Davis shakes his head. ”Like I said we’re not interested. Thanks for stopping by.” Mr. Davis says, obviously done with the conversation.

As Sean is leaving, he makes his parting comment.
Sean Burke wrote:"Business looks to be good today. For some reason, I had it in my head that #8 wasn't currently open. Must have been thinking about a different mine."
”Obviously.” Mr. Davis mumbles, his voice full of sarcasm.

This leaves Sean with nothing of note and more questions than answers, it’s clear by the general mood of those around him, that his presence is little more than an annoyance.

At Carl’s Diner
Isaiah and Zachary

The morning crowd continues to eat their breakfasts, drinking coffee, milk, or juice. All in all it’s steady business, and not particularly private like some of the times the group has been here.
Isaiah wrote:"Coffee, please."
Margarette nods, and begins pouring a cup of coffee for Isaiah.
Isaiah wrote:"We'll wait at the bar, here to see Carl."
Margarette looks at the investigator strangely, gesturing to Carl who is less than six feet away from Isaiah. ”Okay you do that then dear.” She says, turning to Zachary.
Zachary wrote:"I'll take a couple coffees, thanks"
She looks at Zachary strangely as well. ”You need more than one cup of coffee, you have a friend coming?” Margarette says as she begins pouring Zachary two cups of coffee.
Isaiah wrote:"What do you know about the Number Eight mine?"
Zachary wrote:"I'd be curious to know about that myself... I'd also be curious to hear if there were any recent incidents down in the mine that hit the papers. We heard the rumors and all, but it looks like this lead doesn't have the same tally of victims the lake ghost did. Reckon it's something the suits would have it covered up before it hit the papers, but it never hurts to check... Figure if we could get a look at some remains, we might have an idea of what we're dealing with here. How we manage that, we'll have to improvise."
Carl sets his paper down and gives the two investigators a look. In a hushed voice Carl speaks. ”You two don’t know about caution it seems.” Carl says, looking around at the normal customers sitting around the diner. ”I know the number eight is a mine a few miles out of town, and that is about it.” Carl says in a quiet voice..

What Are Your Intentions?

Zachary: HP: 42/42, S.D.C. 29/29, I.S.P.: 9/9
Sean: HP:18/18, S.D.C.: 50/50, I.S.P.: 12/12
Isaiah: HP: 16/16, S.D.C.: 29/29, I.S.P.: 13/13
Violet: HP: 16/16, S.D.C.: 36/36, I.S.P.: 9/9
Jake HP: 16/16, S.D.C. 70/70, I.S.P.: 11/11
"All things age. All things die. In the end, our sun burns out. Our universe grows cold and perishes. But the Dark Dimension, it’s the place beyond time."
GM of The Templar, Phase World: Galactic Rogues, Beyond the Supernatural: Old Gods of Appalachia
PP Ledger
User avatar
Sean Burke
Posts: 40
Joined: Tue Jul 11, 2023 10:47 am

Re: Getting Their Bearings: Part Two

Post by Sean Burke »

Perception: 30% vs 1d100: [42] = 42
JIC: 1d20: [4] = 4 and 1d100: [36] = 36
Conditions: None
Consumer wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 7:11 am This leaves Sean with nothing of note and more questions than answers, it’s clear by the general mood of those around him, that his presence is little more than an annoyance.
Sean does his best to hide any reaction to the putrid smell while considering asking Henry if these particular smells mean anything to him. Standing outside the office he takes the opportunity to scan the people coming and going one more time, just in case he missed something on the way in. Take a deep breath of the air again to confirm he considers to himself, They didn't seem to be bothered by me. That could be good.

The man makes his way to his car, So much learned from nothing. Something happened here. Not now. The smell is too faint. But not long ago. Sean opens the door and climbs inside, the mine isn't shut down. Did they already figure out what was wrong? Did the problem just go away on its own? The Irishman seems to have even more questions now than he did before. He looks around for Henry remembering the spirit trapped outside the house. He has been somewhat, vacant lately. The spirit guide has been very quiet as of late.

Starting the truck Sean considers who might be able to help him decipher the smells. The Comstocks maybe. Carl, maybe. Satisfied he has learned all that he can or will from the mine boss he starts the truck and heads into town. Pretty sure that Isaiah and Zachary would be heading to Carl's he makes that his destination knowing even if they are gone, he can still grab a bite and pick Carl's brain.

Along the way he muses to himself aloud, "Funny how the mine boss was so quick to dismiss me... " The reasoning behind limiting a potential resource eludes Sean. "Guess that's why I ain't sitting behind a desk in a fancy suit."

When/If he gets to Carl's...

Sean finds a place to park outside the diner. He can smell the food from outside. It's amazing how driving makes me so hungry. He makes his way in and asks the hostess if he can have a booth. He looks around the restaurant to see if Carl is there and offers the man a wave as he makes his way to the booth. Once seated he orders a water and burger, Medium rare please... he finishes the order with a smile and waits for Carl to join him. When Carl joins him, he asks, "Do you know much about smells? You know, like special smells?" Sean looks around to see if anyone is watching or listening to him. "I stopped by a place today and... the scent wasn't very pleasant."
User avatar
Jake Foster
Posts: 16
Joined: Tue Nov 21, 2023 9:17 am

Re: Getting Their Bearings: Part Two

Post by Jake Foster »

Perception: d100: [50] = 50 (see post signature)
JIC: d20: [1] = 1 -- d100: [4] = 4
(Open to Supernatural)
===
Jake can't help but marvel a bit at how oblivious the world is, knowing what he does. I suppose if they weren't, we wouldn't get much work done.
Consumer wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 8:19 am In the distance he can see the foreman standing on the porch of the office building outside of the mine entrance. A generally surly individual named Hammond, he seems to be chatting with his two underlings. None of them seem to know Jake, or care about his existence.
If the opportunity presents itself, Jake wanders within 60' of the conversation, opening his senses to Telepathically eavesdrop (-4 ISP). Sadly 4 minutes (2 attempts, 2 minutes each) is the most that his limited psychic gift can offer him. Standing around too long would get him noticed, so he spaces out his attempts to psychically eavesdrop, and finds excuses to talk with anyone who catches his attention.
Character Sheet: viewtopic.php?p=1397296#p1397296
I.Q.: 9
M.E.: 16
M.A.: 9
P.S.: 18
P.P.: 12
P.E.: 18
P.B.: 7
Speed: 9

PHYSICAL DATA
P.P.E.: 5
I.S.P.: 11 (+2 / level) (Multiplied by x2/x4/etc vs higher supernatural threats)
H.P.: 16 + 1D6/level
S.D.C.: 70
Age: 29
Sex: Male
Height: 5'9"
Weight: 190
Description: Caucasian, rough around the edges, sandy blonde hair and beard.
30% (+3%) / 50% (Sixth Sense) / 65% (Open to Supernatural)
Sense Supernatural Evil (Range: 300 ft + 50/level)
Sense fluxes of > 20 PPE Range: 600 ft + 100/level) (Open to Supernatural)
Recognizes Possession - Base Skill: 50% (+5%)
Recognizes Magic Enchantment - 30% (+5%)
+ 10% if the magic is evil/hurtful
+ 20% when possessed by an evil supernatural being.

HTH Type: Basic
Number of Attacks: 5
Initiative Bonus: +6 (Sixth Sense)
Strike Bonus:
Parry Bonus: +2 / +4 (Sixth Sense)
Dodge Bonus: +2 / +5 (Sixth Sense)
HTH Damage Bonus: +3
Bonus to Roll w/Punch: +4
Bonus to Pull a Punch: +2
Bonus to Disarm:
Other: When using any powers: No initiative roll, only 4 Attacks per melee

Weapon Proficiencies
W.P. Knife +1 to strike at levels 2, 4, 7, 10, and 13. +1 to parry at levels, 1, 3, 6, 9, and 12. +1 to strike when thrown at levels, 1, 3, 6, 8, 10 and 13.
W.P. Rifles +1 to strike at levels 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11, and 13.
Coma/Death: +3
Magic (varies): +5**
Lethal Poison (14+): +3
Non-Lethal Poison (16+): +3
Insanity (10+): +1
Psionics (10+): +1**
Horror Factor (varies): +4
Possession: +4
**+4 to save vs mind-altering drugs, magical charms, and mental confusion.
**-1 to save vs Illusions and Telepathic or Empathic probes and attacks.
User avatar
Zachary Splindt
Posts: 129
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2021 3:17 pm

Re: Getting Their Bearings: Part Two

Post by Zachary Splindt »

Perception: 1d100: [96] = 96 (26%)
JIC 1D100: 1d100: [47] = 47
JIC 1D20: 1d20: [6] = 6
Conditions: Closed to the Supernatural

Zachary, somewhat caught off-guard by Carl's words, quickly looks around to make sure nobody overheard. Guess miners wouldn't be the type to skip work would they Zachary thinks to himself.

The detective goes over what he already knows from the previous encounter back in Glen Jean. Big company, seems to cover multiple towns. Might be tricky to break in during the daylight hours.

Zachary then gets an idea. Pulling the crumpled note out of his coat pocket containing the lead, he checks to see if the note is handwritten. If so, Zachary waves to Margaret "Miss, don't suppose you have a receipt back there or somesuch I can borrow? There's something I need to write down." If Zachary does get it, he will trace over the letters of the note. "The lake ghost lead came in newspaper clippings, but I don't reckon someone would have written this note if they hadn't seen it for themselves," Zachary mutters to Isaiah, hoping to keep his voice down this time. "It's a shot in the dark, but I wonder if we can get the details if we find the person who wrote the note."
Last edited by Zachary Splindt on Tue Mar 05, 2024 5:11 am, edited 3 times in total.
User avatar
Isaiah Peirce
Posts: 25
Joined: Fri Aug 25, 2023 6:58 am

Re: Getting Their Bearings: Part Two

Post by Isaiah Peirce »

Perception: 1d100: [91] = 91 /40%
JiC: 1d20: [4] = 4 / 1d100: [85] = 85

Conditions: Sense Supernatural Evil (350ft) | Sixth Sense (Inactive)

Skills:
Invoke Trust: 1d100: [26] = 26 /35% [Trust me Carl!]

Post:
”You two don’t know about caution it seems.” Carl says, looking around at the normal customers sitting around the diner. ”I know the number eight is a mine a few miles out of town, and that is about it.”
Isaiah looks at Carl with a narrowed eye over the cup of coffe as he takes a sip. The psychic investigator, in a sense, trying to read Carl as he lays on his delivery. For a man who walked up to a Spirit in the Lake without blinking, he hushes about the Number Eight Mine. Odd. Isaiah notices Carl's hushed tone and answers it with his own. "The tone of your voice says you know a lot more than that." Isaiah returns, nodding again and taking a sip. "Know of anything that's moved into the mine, or maybe was already there?" Isaiah asks over his coffee.
Paranormal Investigator Isaiah S. Peirce | EP Ledger

Important Numbers: Perception 40% | H.P.: 16 | S.D.C: 29 | I.S.P.: 13
Magic (varies): +1
Lethal Poison (14+): +3
Non-Lethal Poison (16+): +3
Insanity (12+): +1
Psionics (10): +3
Horror Factor (varies): +3
Mind Altering effects (magic, mental or drug): +3
User avatar
Consumer
Game Master
Posts: 1966
Joined: Sun Sep 13, 2009 2:26 pm
Location: GM/DM (The Templar, PW: Galactic Rogues, BTS:OGoA)
Contact:

Re: Getting Their Bearings: Part Two

Post by Consumer »

Getting their Bearings: Part Two
Time and Weather wrote:Location: Whitlach Estate, Prosperity, West Virginia
Date: Wednesday, March 22nd, 1925. 9:40 AM (10 minutes has passed)
Weather: 50 degrees Fahrenheit; Raining.
I.S.P. Modifier: x1
Case Notes: The Mine
Case Notes: The Highway
At Mine Number Six
Jake

Jake decides to risk getting chewed out by the Foreman, for leaving his post. His two coworkers are rather confused when Jake wanders away and goes halfway across the jobsite to get near the Foreman and his assistants. Luck must be with him at first, because they don’t seem to notice him. Opening his mind to the thoughts of others, Jake tries to listen in on the thoughts of the Foreman. A grumpy mean old cuss named Mr. Hammond.

I wish this rain would let up, It’s affecting the coal yield… What should I do for lunch?...

Mr. Hammond’s thought process goes on for much the same, for the entire time Jake listens to him. Jake lucks out that he wasn’t noticed, as he makes his way back to the pumps. Where Brian and Greg give him the stink eye for leaving them to pick up his slack.

On the road, 50 minutes from Prosperity.
Sean

Sean makes his way down the rolling and winding road from Mine Number Eight, heading back towards Prosperity. Sean’s intention is to go to Carl’s to talk with him. Floating in the passenger’s seat of the Truck is Henry. Looks like a dead end old chap. Maybe the note was old. Henry says, in a hollow voice only Sean can hear. The scenery of a Appalachia in spring bloom, rushes past Sean’s truck as he speeds down the road.

At Carl’s Diner
Isaiah and Zachary

Zachary looks at the crumpled note given to him by Mr. Blanche, and comes up with ‘an’ idea.
Zachary wrote:"Miss, don't suppose you have a receipt back there or somesuch I can borrow? There's something I need to write down."
Margarette nods, and hands Zachary a small piece of paper and a pen. To which he goes about copying the note.
Isaiah wrote:"The tone of your voice says you know a lot more than that. Know of anything that's moved into the mine, or maybe was already there?"
Carl looks at Isaiah. ”I know the company who runs that mine, and I don’t trust them as far as I could throw my cook. You’d be wise to not bother in the day to day business of Barrow Mining. As for your specific question, I really have no idea. If I recall the conversation I had with Blanche that day, he said he overheard it in a speakeasy to the east of here. So that’s as much as I know.” Carl says in hushed tones, obviously trying to not be heard by his other clientel.
Zachary wrote:"The lake ghost lead came in newspaper clippings, but I don't reckon someone would have written this note if they hadn't seen it for themselves, It's a shot in the dark, but I wonder if we can get the details if we find the person who wrote the note."
Carl being close enough to hear Zachary. ”Mr. Blanche wrote it. He overheard someone talking and scribbled it down on that there note.” Carl says quietly.

What Are Your Intentions?

GM Notes: 1. Sean knows what the smells are, it’s part of his power… just check the book (BTS 2E, pgs 86-87).
2. The group was told by Mr. Blanche that he wrote the note, looking for him while definitely an option, is unlikely to give you any info you seek.
3. Just a note as to why Carl seems agitated by Isaiah and Zachary, the Supernatural isn’t something the average person deals with, so when you’re in a busy diner, openly talking about it, it gathers suspicion, and that can lead to all manner of complications.
4. I’m sorry Jake, the fact you picked a normal job is gonna make this hard for you sometimes, given you have obligations to the job.
5. I can move this forward if folks don't have anymore questions. ~Consumer


Zachary: HP: 42/42, S.D.C. 29/29, I.S.P.: 9/9
Sean: HP:18/18, S.D.C.: 50/50, I.S.P.: 12/12
Isaiah: HP: 16/16, S.D.C.: 29/29, I.S.P.: 13/13
Violet: HP: 16/16, S.D.C.: 36/36, I.S.P.: 9/9
Jake HP: 16/16, S.D.C. 70/70, I.S.P.: 3/11
"All things age. All things die. In the end, our sun burns out. Our universe grows cold and perishes. But the Dark Dimension, it’s the place beyond time."
GM of The Templar, Phase World: Galactic Rogues, Beyond the Supernatural: Old Gods of Appalachia
PP Ledger
User avatar
Sean Burke
Posts: 40
Joined: Tue Jul 11, 2023 10:47 am

Re: Getting Their Bearings: Part Two

Post by Sean Burke »

Perception: 30% vs 1d100: [90] = 90
JIC: 1d20: [5] = 5 and 1d100: [12] = 12
Conditions: None
Consumer wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 7:37 am On the road, 50 minutes from Prosperity.
Sean
Sean makes his way down the rolling and winding road from Mine Number Eight, heading back towards Prosperity. Sean’s intention is to go to Carl’s to talk with him. Floating in the passenger’s seat of the Truck is Henry. Looks like a dead end old chap. Maybe the note was old. Henry says, in a hollow voice only Sean can hear. The scenery of a Appalachia in spring bloom, rushes past Sean’s truck as he speeds down the road.
"Dead end for sure." Sean replies out loud to Henry as he considers the next word carefully. Maybe the note was old. Sean considers the scents, They were faint... that means some time has passed. But how long...
Consumer wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 7:11 am Sean opens his mind, and takes a deep breath, tasting the hidden aromas in the air. What Sean senses is sickening in it’s totality, though it all comes across as faint. Sean can smell the sickly sweet sour smell of rotten human meat, a smell he’d wish to never sense again. This is paired with the sulphurous smells of spoiled milk and the bitterness of skunk’s spray. This all seems to be overshadowed by the smell of onions.
Sean works smell by smell trying to piece it all together. Starting with the two that stand out to him most, "The onions Henry... They overpowered the other scents. Something isn't right about that place. Still." Sean's nose tweaks a bit as he remembers the skunk, "Not a place we want to be alone. Bad omens there." Sean considers for a moment, the stench of the rot... something happened. The death still lingers. Sean turns momentarily to look at Henry, "The sour milk takes the cake though... Evil abound. Maybe witchery. But... it was more than that. Sulpherous too. An old an ancient evil. Did they find something in that mine?" After a soft chuckle he continues, "All of that describes the mining company exactly too though. Ancient evil bastards. Making their wealth on the backs of dead men. Not much mysticism there. Just good old fashioned human greed."

The words stick with Sean for a moment as he wonders, are they... real evil... like from the deep? Not just the human greedy type? But... Maybe something more? The thought, as intriguing as it is doesn't hold his attention long. "We need to let the others know what we found. See if they found anything either. Maybe the puzzle pieces will start to fall together. Maybe we just move on."

Sean continues his ride into town, reviewing the smells again and again, wondering if he missed something.
User avatar
Zachary Splindt
Posts: 129
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2021 3:17 pm

Re: Getting Their Bearings: Part Two

Post by Zachary Splindt »

Perception: 1d100: [2] = 2 (26%)
JIC 1D100: 1d100: [63] = 63
JIC 1D20: 1d20: [7] = 7
Conditions: Closed to the Supernatural
Consumer wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 7:37 am Carl being close enough to hear Zachary. ”Mr. Blanche wrote it. He overheard someone talking and scribbled it down on that there note.” Carl says quietly.
Zachary takes a note to think on Carl's words, and turns to Isaiah. "Darn shame the guy isn't here to point us where he overheard it, but I reckon if it wasn't too long ago the fella might still be in one piece. Wonder if Jake's had any luck chatting with the miners."

Last time we didn't need to do a lot of investigating, just head for the lake and take the bones, Zachary thinks to himself. Being mindful to keep his voice low enough to avoid being overheard by others in the diner, Zachary continues. "Wonder if we could just sneak in. Maybe give it a day or three. We're only doing this to find out what might be down there after all. Don't recall any mention in the plan of finding the whys or hows."
Last edited by Zachary Splindt on Mon Mar 11, 2024 5:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
Jake Foster
Posts: 16
Joined: Tue Nov 21, 2023 9:17 am

Re: Getting Their Bearings: Part Two

Post by Jake Foster »

Perception: d100: [65] = 65 (see post signature)
JIC: d20: [9] = 9 -- d100: [19] = 19
(Open to Supernatural)
===
Jake had been hoping that an opportunity would present itself to get within eavesdropping range, but when it did not, he risked the ire of his coworkers. People's lives were at stake and the presence of some kind of creature lurking in the mountain meant he had to take a gamble.

He gets off shift feeling discouraged. Word of the other mine closing was apparently being kept so secret that word hadn't even reached the foremen.

He continues to try to find out if anyone knows anyone who works in that mine, and/or where they spend their time the most off-shift. Assuming he is successful, he makes his way there. If not, he heads to the Whitlach Estate in the hopes of meeting up with the others.
Character Sheet: viewtopic.php?p=1397296#p1397296
I.Q.: 9
M.E.: 16
M.A.: 9
P.S.: 18
P.P.: 12
P.E.: 18
P.B.: 7
Speed: 9

PHYSICAL DATA
P.P.E.: 5
I.S.P.: 11 (+2 / level) (Multiplied by x2/x4/etc vs higher supernatural threats)
H.P.: 16 + 1D6/level
S.D.C.: 70
Age: 29
Sex: Male
Height: 5'9"
Weight: 190
Description: Caucasian, rough around the edges, sandy blonde hair and beard.
30% (+3%) / 50% (Sixth Sense) / 65% (Open to Supernatural)
Sense Supernatural Evil (Range: 300 ft + 50/level)
Sense fluxes of > 20 PPE Range: 600 ft + 100/level) (Open to Supernatural)
Recognizes Possession - Base Skill: 50% (+5%)
Recognizes Magic Enchantment - 30% (+5%)
+ 10% if the magic is evil/hurtful
+ 20% when possessed by an evil supernatural being.

HTH Type: Basic
Number of Attacks: 5
Initiative Bonus: +6 (Sixth Sense)
Strike Bonus:
Parry Bonus: +2 / +4 (Sixth Sense)
Dodge Bonus: +2 / +5 (Sixth Sense)
HTH Damage Bonus: +3
Bonus to Roll w/Punch: +4
Bonus to Pull a Punch: +2
Bonus to Disarm:
Other: When using any powers: No initiative roll, only 4 Attacks per melee

Weapon Proficiencies
W.P. Knife +1 to strike at levels 2, 4, 7, 10, and 13. +1 to parry at levels, 1, 3, 6, 9, and 12. +1 to strike when thrown at levels, 1, 3, 6, 8, 10 and 13.
W.P. Rifles +1 to strike at levels 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11, and 13.
Coma/Death: +3
Magic (varies): +5**
Lethal Poison (14+): +3
Non-Lethal Poison (16+): +3
Insanity (10+): +1
Psionics (10+): +1**
Horror Factor (varies): +4
Possession: +4
**+4 to save vs mind-altering drugs, magical charms, and mental confusion.
**-1 to save vs Illusions and Telepathic or Empathic probes and attacks.
User avatar
Consumer
Game Master
Posts: 1966
Joined: Sun Sep 13, 2009 2:26 pm
Location: GM/DM (The Templar, PW: Galactic Rogues, BTS:OGoA)
Contact:

Re: Getting Their Bearings: Part Two

Post by Consumer »

Getting their Bearings: Part Two
Time and Weather wrote:Location: Whitlach Estate, Prosperity, West Virginia
Date: Wednesday, March 22nd, 1925. 7:30 PM (9 hours 50 minutes has passed)
Weather: 50 degrees Fahrenheit; Raining.
I.S.P. Modifier: x1
Case Notes: The Mine
Case Notes: The Highway
A Dead End; At Whitlach House

The investigators are now all sitting in the dining area of the Whitlach house. Sean, having completed his trip to the Number Eight mine with mixed results, while Zachary and Isaiah had questioned Carl, who seemed reluctant to get into any conversation involving Barrow Mining. Jake arrived after a long and tiring shift and a wet ride home from Mine Number Six, for him, he found little to no information, most of the miners, while they knew of folk who worked the Mine Eight, none seemed to know anything of it’s possible problems. All in all it seems whatever Mr. Blanche had overheard, was either false, or has been covered up since they received the information approximately a week ago. Violet has been quiet for the most part, reading a few books from the library.

This leaves the investigators sitting with a communal meal, a simple fair of roasted beef with boiled broccoli and a hard crusty bread and butter to go with it. Again scattered among the food plates are notes and newspaper clippings left by Mr. Blanche.

What Are Your Intentions?

GM Notes: I just moved this forward, I have a solution for Jake’s regular job worked out and will institute it as soon as it is appropriate. ~Consumer

Zachary: HP: 42/42, S.D.C. 29/29, I.S.P.: 9/9
Sean: HP:18/18, S.D.C.: 50/50, I.S.P.: 12/12
Isaiah: HP: 16/16, S.D.C.: 29/29, I.S.P.: 13/13
Violet: HP: 16/16, S.D.C.: 36/36, I.S.P.: 9/9
Jake HP: 16/16, S.D.C. 70/70, I.S.P.: 3/11
"All things age. All things die. In the end, our sun burns out. Our universe grows cold and perishes. But the Dark Dimension, it’s the place beyond time."
GM of The Templar, Phase World: Galactic Rogues, Beyond the Supernatural: Old Gods of Appalachia
PP Ledger
User avatar
Sean Burke
Posts: 40
Joined: Tue Jul 11, 2023 10:47 am

Re: Getting Their Bearings: Part Two

Post by Sean Burke »

Perception: 30% vs 1d100: [45] = 45
JIC: 1d20: [19] = 19 and 1d100: [100] = 100
Conditions: None

At the house Sean finds himself walking to look out the window often. There has to be a way for henry to come in. As unsettling as his ghostly friend was when they first met, henry has become someone Sean finds fills the emptiness. Once everyone is bac together Sean tells them all about what he found at mine 8. he explains the smells and their direct meaning. He explains how the smells work and that sometimes they need to be interpreted.

(BTS 2E, pgs 86-87)Sean opens his mind, and takes a deep breath, tasting the hidden aromas in the air. What Sean senses is sickening in it’s totality, though it all comes across as faint. Sean can smell the sickly sweet sour smell of rotten human meat, a smell he’d wish to never sense again. This is paired with the sulphurous smells of spoiled milk and the bitterness of skunk’s spray. This all seems to be overshadowed by the smell of onions.


Sean works smell by smell trying to piece it all together. Starting with the two that stand out to him most, "The onions Henry... They overpowered the other scents. Something isn't right about that place. Still." Sean's nose tweaks a bit as he remembers the skunk, "Not a place we want to be alone. Bad omens there." Sean considers for a moment, the stench of the rot... something happened. The death still lingers. Sean turns momentarily to look at Henry, "The sour milk takes the cake though... Evil abound. Maybe witchery. But... it was more than that. Sulpherous too. An old an ancient evil. Did they find something in that mine?" After a soft chuckle he continues, "All of that describes the mining company exactly too though. Ancient evil bastards. Making their wealth on the backs of dead men. Not much mysticism there. Just good old fashioned human greed."



"There is definitely something going on there. It isn't good." Sean take a seat at the table long enough to let everyone consider what he has discovered before continuing. "I would say we either need to get a look in the mine ourselves or maybe move on to the other note we found. Getting in that mine will have to be at night... and I'm not fully convinced the problem is really gone.

Sean looks through the news clippings and notes spread on the table, looking for anything new pertaining to the mine or the highway. He works his way through diner musing, hmm, the broccoli is nice but cabbage would have been better.
User avatar
Isaiah Peirce
Posts: 25
Joined: Fri Aug 25, 2023 6:58 am

Re: Getting Their Bearings: Part Two

Post by Isaiah Peirce »

Perception: 1d100: [57] = 57 /40%
JiC: 1d20: [7] = 7 / 1d100: [48] = 48

Conditions: Sense Supernatural Evil (350ft) | Sixth Sense (Inactive)

Skills:


Post:

Isaiah returns with Zachary to the Whitlach house with less than a fruitful endeavor. This is one of those things that makes this trade so challenging. The unwillingness of the public to even entertain it, the lack of resources to narrow things down. But, it's also part of the fun... figuring it out. Hopefully before it kills us. Isaiah ponders to himself on the way back. Isaiah will leave the keys for the car in his coat pocket as he sits with the others.

To Sean and the others, Isaiah relays what little Carl was willing to share. "Carl wasn't as forthcoming as I'd hoped, could well be how busy the place was. Might try again tonight when it's slower. Anyways, the company's owners are as slimey as wet noodles. Any other rumors came out of a speakeasy east of here." Isaiah explains, pausing before continuing. "We could check out the speakeasy in the evening as well, they always have things to hide. We'll need to be careful and not attract attention." Isaiah then suggests. "I'm still hesitant on going to the mine without at least having a guess at what to expect." Isaiah finishes.
Paranormal Investigator Isaiah S. Peirce | EP Ledger

Important Numbers: Perception 40% | H.P.: 16 | S.D.C: 29 | I.S.P.: 13
Magic (varies): +1
Lethal Poison (14+): +3
Non-Lethal Poison (16+): +3
Insanity (12+): +1
Psionics (10): +3
Horror Factor (varies): +3
Mind Altering effects (magic, mental or drug): +3
User avatar
Zachary Splindt
Posts: 129
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2021 3:17 pm

Re: Getting Their Bearings: Part Two

Post by Zachary Splindt »

Perception: 1d100: [83] = 83 (26%)
JIC 1D100: 1d100: [47] = 47
JIC 1D20: 1d20: [15] = 15
Conditions: Closed to the Supernatural

Zachary listens to Sean's description intently. Doesn't seem like any kind of ghost I've seen, Zachary thinks to himself. His memory trails off to the rot hounds that once plagued the estate, and the detective almost reflexively puts a hand to his ribs. They were tied to the witch's bottle though, and that was already smashed the detective notes, giving a dismissing wave towards the hallway. Still, Zachary tries to recall whether or not the witch's bottle held anything resembling a "sulphuric" smell as Sean described.
Isaiah Peirce wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 6:41 pm "We could check out the speakeasy in the evening as well, they always have things to hide. We'll need to be careful and not attract attention." Isaiah then suggests. "I'm still hesitant on going to the mine without at least having a guess at what to expect." Isaiah finishes.
"Been a while since an investigation called for a break-in. Hopefully I'm not too out of practice." Zachary pauses again considering Sean's words, and continues. "If we do this though, we don't necessarily need to find the beast itself if it seems too dangerous. It seems to leave a smell, sure, but what about some kind of ectoplasm or residue?"

"That said, wouldn't mind a venture into the speakeasy myself though. Better to check all ends that don't end with us on the obituaries." Taking in a forkful of beef, Zachary turns to Jake. "Reckon if one of us would know the best way to slip inside, it would be someone who worked there. Anything we would need to expect?"
User avatar
Jake Foster
Posts: 16
Joined: Tue Nov 21, 2023 9:17 am

Re: Getting Their Bearings: Part Two

Post by Jake Foster »

Perception: d100: [85] = 85 (see post signature)
JIC: d20: [4] = 4 -- d100: [88] = 88
(Closed to Supernatural)
===
Jake heads home, feeling a bit dejected and useless. He takes a bath to wash away the grime from work. Gotta make myself presentable for Miss Violet if she is there.

At the Witlach Estate, his eyes bug out at the spread on the dining room table. He eats like it's his first meal after a month in the trenches.

He listens to the discussion but has little to offer. "No one knows a damn thing about that mine. Not even the foreman or manager when I read their thoughts." The revelation that the mine is, in fact, open and operational explains much. When Sean suggests they could get inside the mine at night, he shakes his head. "Nope. Barrow runs three overlapping shifts, twenty-four hours."
Zachary Splindt wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 12:48 pm "Reckon if one of us would know the best way to slip inside, it would be someone who worked there. Anything we would need to expect?"
Jake chortles. "Best way to slip inside? You don't. Way too many people, way too small an entry. Management may not notice a few extra guys in the crowd, but the foremen and crew chiefs will. They'll ask questions, likely more specific questions than I could answer. You three I could pass off as coal miners, but Miss Violet ain't getting anywhere near that bunch." He pauses and considers, "Maybe if we could fake some kind of accident. Another thing I can do..." He points at his forehead as if to explain. "Is put a thought into someone's head. We could make the foreman think there's been a collapse or a methane build-up? But I can only try that trick, like, once before I need to rest and regain my focus. And it doesn't always take if the guy's a hardhead. If it doesn't work we're fu---- err, it's risky. I learned some meditation from an old Shawnee on the rez east of here, but..." He trails off when he realizes he's rambling. "I dunno."
Character Sheet: viewtopic.php?p=1397296#p1397296
I.Q.: 9
M.E.: 16
M.A.: 9
P.S.: 18
P.P.: 12
P.E.: 18
P.B.: 7
Speed: 9

PHYSICAL DATA
P.P.E.: 5
I.S.P.: 11 (+2 / level) (Multiplied by x2/x4/etc vs higher supernatural threats)
H.P.: 16 + 1D6/level
S.D.C.: 70
Age: 29
Sex: Male
Height: 5'9"
Weight: 190
Description: Caucasian, rough around the edges, sandy blonde hair and beard.
30% (+3%) / 50% (Sixth Sense) / 65% (Open to Supernatural)
Sense Supernatural Evil (Range: 300 ft + 50/level)
Sense fluxes of > 20 PPE Range: 600 ft + 100/level) (Open to Supernatural)
Recognizes Possession - Base Skill: 50% (+5%)
Recognizes Magic Enchantment - 30% (+5%)
+ 10% if the magic is evil/hurtful
+ 20% when possessed by an evil supernatural being.

HTH Type: Basic
Number of Attacks: 5
Initiative Bonus: +6 (Sixth Sense)
Strike Bonus:
Parry Bonus: +2 / +4 (Sixth Sense)
Dodge Bonus: +2 / +5 (Sixth Sense)
HTH Damage Bonus: +3
Bonus to Roll w/Punch: +4
Bonus to Pull a Punch: +2
Bonus to Disarm:
Other: When using any powers: No initiative roll, only 4 Attacks per melee

Weapon Proficiencies
W.P. Knife +1 to strike at levels 2, 4, 7, 10, and 13. +1 to parry at levels, 1, 3, 6, 9, and 12. +1 to strike when thrown at levels, 1, 3, 6, 8, 10 and 13.
W.P. Rifles +1 to strike at levels 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11, and 13.
Coma/Death: +3
Magic (varies): +5**
Lethal Poison (14+): +3
Non-Lethal Poison (16+): +3
Insanity (10+): +1
Psionics (10+): +1**
Horror Factor (varies): +4
Possession: +4
**+4 to save vs mind-altering drugs, magical charms, and mental confusion.
**-1 to save vs Illusions and Telepathic or Empathic probes and attacks.
User avatar
Consumer
Game Master
Posts: 1966
Joined: Sun Sep 13, 2009 2:26 pm
Location: GM/DM (The Templar, PW: Galactic Rogues, BTS:OGoA)
Contact:

Re: Getting Their Bearings: Part Two

Post by Consumer »

Getting their Bearings: Part Two
Time and Weather wrote:Location: Whitlach Estate, Prosperity, West Virginia
Date: Wednesday, March 22nd, 1925. 8:00 PM (30 minutes has passed)
Weather: 50 degrees Fahrenheit; Raining.
I.S.P. Modifier: x1
Case Notes: The Highway
A Path Least Taken; At Whitlach House
Sean wrote:"There is definitely something going on there. It isn't good... I would say we either need to get a look in the mine ourselves or maybe move on to the other note we found. Getting in that mine will have to be at night... and I'm not fully convinced the problem is really gone.
Isaiah wrote:"Carl wasn't as forthcoming as I'd hoped, could well be how busy the place was. Might try again tonight when it's slower. Anyways, the company's owners are as slimey as wet noodles. Any other rumors came out of a speakeasy east of here... We could check out the speakeasy in the evening as well, they always have things to hide. We'll need to be careful and not attract attention... I'm still hesitant on going to the mine without at least having a guess at what to expect."
Zachary wrote:"Been a while since an investigation called for a break-in. Hopefully I'm not too out of practice... If we do this though, we don't necessarily need to find the beast itself if it seems too dangerous. It seems to leave a smell, sure, but what about some kind of ectoplasm or residue?.. That said, wouldn't mind a venture into the speakeasy myself though. Better to check all ends that don't end with us on the obituaries... Reckon if one of us would know the best way to slip inside, it would be someone who worked there. Anything we would need to expect?"
Jake wrote:"No one knows a damn thing about that mine. Not even the foreman or manager when I read their thoughts... Nope. Barrow runs three overlapping shifts, twenty-four hours... Best way to slip inside? You don't. Way too many people, way too small an entry. Management may not notice a few extra guys in the crowd, but the foremen and crew chiefs will. They'll ask questions, likely more specific questions than I could answer. You three I could pass off as coal miners, but Miss Violet ain't getting anywhere near that bunch... Maybe if we could fake some kind of accident. Another thing I can do... Is put a thought into someone's head. We could make the foreman think there's been a collapse or a methane build-up? But I can only try that trick, like, once before I need to rest and regain my focus. And it doesn't always take if the guy's a hardhead. If it doesn't work we're fu---- err, it's risky. I learned some meditation from an old Shawnee on the rez east of here, but... I dunno."
As the four investigators put their heads together to try and think of something, it becomes abundantly clear. Any course of action on this singular note, will likely either end with the investigators in jail, or possibly dead. And given that other than some lingering supernatural residue, there is little to no evidence that there is anything even going on at the mine. It seems that the time for investigating the situation has passed, whether that is for the betterment of the world at large is unknown, but given Carl’s warning to Isaiah about nosing in Barrow’s business, it might be best to move on to the other possible case, a series of missing persons dating back well over seventy years.

What Are Your Intentions?

Zachary: HP: 42/42, S.D.C. 29/29, I.S.P.: 9/9
Sean: HP:18/18, S.D.C.: 50/50, I.S.P.: 12/12
Isaiah: HP: 16/16, S.D.C.: 29/29, I.S.P.: 13/13
Violet: HP: 16/16, S.D.C.: 36/36, I.S.P.: 9/9
Jake HP: 16/16, S.D.C. 70/70, I.S.P.: 3/11
"All things age. All things die. In the end, our sun burns out. Our universe grows cold and perishes. But the Dark Dimension, it’s the place beyond time."
GM of The Templar, Phase World: Galactic Rogues, Beyond the Supernatural: Old Gods of Appalachia
PP Ledger
User avatar
Sean Burke
Posts: 40
Joined: Tue Jul 11, 2023 10:47 am

Re: Getting Their Bearings: Part Two

Post by Sean Burke »

Perception: 30% vs 1d100: [82] = 82
JIC: 1d20: [20] = 20 and 1d100: [65] = 65
Conditions: None

Sean considers everyone's input, "I have a bit of a suggestion. Maybe we kill two birds with one stone. I know some speakeasies around... we can run about, have a bit of fun. We can put some ears out there to see what we hear about the mine or anything else. That would be one bird..." Sean smiles feeling some time at the bar might allow them all to loosen up a bit. "The second bird... we head out by way of this mysterious stretch of highway. We drive down a bit for ourselves. See if anything pops out and says boo. It will at least let some of us get a feel for the area. If something tickles our fancy, we move forward on that and put mine 8 on the back burner for now."

Sean looks around the table seeing if anyone likes the idea.

"If that plan works for you lads... I can reach out to my employer and get the ok to bring some friends."
User avatar
Zachary Splindt
Posts: 129
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2021 3:17 pm

Re: Getting Their Bearings: Part Two

Post by Zachary Splindt »

Perception: 1d100: [92] = 92 (26%)
JIC 1D100: 1d100: [40] = 40
JIC 1D20: 1d20: [20] = 20
Conditions: Closed to the Supernatural
Jake Foster wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 6:54 am "Maybe if we could fake some kind of accident. Another thing I can do..." He points at his forehead as if to explain. "Is put a thought into someone's head. We could make the foreman think there's been a collapse or a methane build-up? But I can only try that trick, like, once before I need to rest and regain my focus. And it doesn't always take if the guy's a hardhead. If it doesn't work we're fu---- err, it's risky. I learned some meditation from an old Shawnee on the rez east of here, but..." He trails off when he realizes he's rambling. "I dunno."
Thinking on Jake's words, Zachary considers the idea and grins. Turning to Jake, Zachary gives the miner a light nudge. "You mean clearing out the mine with an "emergency" before we go inside? You sneaky devil, that might be one way to go about it... despite the risks and all."
Sean Burke wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 10:37 am Sean considers everyone's input, "I have a bit of a suggestion. Maybe we kill two birds with one stone. I know some speakeasies around... we can run about, have a bit of fun. We can put some ears out there to see what we hear about the mine or anything else. That would be one bird..." Sean smiles feeling some time at the bar might allow them all to loosen up a bit. "The second bird... we head out by way of this mysterious stretch of highway. We drive down a bit for ourselves. See if anything pops out and says boo. It will at least let some of us get a feel for the area. If something tickles our fancy, we move forward on that and put mine 8 on the back burner for now."
"I'd still be all open to breaking in. Wouldn't be my first time doing so to investigate a case. Then again, we can't exactly investigate if we're behind bars." Zachary tries to recall the details of the highway lead. "I'm with Sean's idea. Maybe while we're out on the drive we can test a few things. See what makes... whatever this is tick. Hopefully we can pull it off without ending up a crumpled mess in a ditch." Zachary glances back at Jake. "Maybe it'll give us some time to figure out what kind of "thought" would work best to clear out a mine. Regarding the highway however, shall we give it a try while the oil's still burning?"

As he listens to others' responses, Zachary steals a glance at the stairs. Might need some kind of protection if we're headed out there. Doesn't the captain have a suit of armor upstairs in the hallway or that trophy room of his? Took a beating from those hounds and that lake ghost. Reckon if "disappearing" means taking a few punches again, something like this oughta come in handy. If the group heads out for a drive (and if this is possible), Zachary will grab the suit of armor and put it on before making his way to the car.
User avatar
Isaiah Peirce
Posts: 25
Joined: Fri Aug 25, 2023 6:58 am

Re: Getting Their Bearings: Part Two

Post by Isaiah Peirce »

Perception: 1d100: [22] = 22 /40%
JiC: 1d20: [13] = 13 / 1d100: [54] = 54

Conditions: Sense Supernatural Evil (350ft) | Sixth Sense (Inactive)

Skills:
Research: 1d100: [3] = 3 /55% [List of all missing persons from the highway, dates they went missing, any news paper articles related.]
Literacy, English: 1d100: [67] = 67 /107% [Create a list of all information Isaiah might find in his journal]

Post:

Isaiah's brow furrows as he puts what little pieces together he can, then sighing as the mine lead appears dead. I wonder how old that note is. Isaiah muses, briefly considering attempting a psionic read on the note before dismissing it. If more information turns up on this case, I'll revisit it. Better keep the note in a safe location, just in case. Isaiah decides as the others open up. Isaiah will store the note for the time being for future reference and instead turns to the others.
Zach wrote:
Sean wrote:The second bird... we head out by way of this mysterious stretch of highway. We drive down a bit for ourselves. See if anything pops out and says boo. It will at least let some of us get a feel for the area. If something tickles our fancy, we move forward on that and put mine 8 on the back burner for now."
"You mean clearing out the mine with an "emergency" before we go inside? You sneaky devil, that might be one way to go about it... despite the risks and all."
"From what I can tell, whatever the note meant to warn about, is cold. From the brief talk with Carl, it might end up putting a target on us and the only ones we'd be placing in danger is ourselves. I don't think we should try sneaking in. However, there are still a series of unexplained missing persons dating back 70 years on that highway. I'd like to look into that some." Isaiah states. He seems focused on the note, but ignoring the missing persons. Perhaps they think the note and the missing persons are directly related.. Isaiah muses.

"We don't know anything about what to expect, and we have little to defend ourselves from the unknown. I think Knowledge is the best weapon we can have, and right now, time is not against us. If we go out and kick the nest, we could be the next victims." Isaiah adds, leaning back and taking a drink of his tea. "I'm just trying to say we should try to be smart about it. " He finishes.
Paranormal Investigator Isaiah S. Peirce | EP Ledger

Important Numbers: Perception 40% | H.P.: 16 | S.D.C: 29 | I.S.P.: 13
Magic (varies): +1
Lethal Poison (14+): +3
Non-Lethal Poison (16+): +3
Insanity (12+): +1
Psionics (10): +3
Horror Factor (varies): +3
Mind Altering effects (magic, mental or drug): +3
User avatar
Jake Foster
Posts: 16
Joined: Tue Nov 21, 2023 9:17 am

Re: Getting Their Bearings: Part Two

Post by Jake Foster »

Perception: d100: [56] = 56 (see post signature)
JIC: d20: [6] = 6 -- d100: [44] = 44
(Closed to Supernatural)
===
Jake frowns at the thought of giving up on the mine, but what else can they do? Sneaking in won't happen and faking an emergency had too many variables. This other case made more sense.
Sean Burke wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 10:37 am "If that plan works for you lads... I can reach out to my employer and get the ok to bring some friends."
"You have employers? If there's a way to be a part of what you fellas do I'd love to meet 'em. It's kind of hard to just go back to being a miner after all this."

He feels like a fish out of water when it comes to researching, though. "If there's any way I can help, just tell me what to do."
Character Sheet: viewtopic.php?p=1397296#p1397296
I.Q.: 9
M.E.: 16
M.A.: 9
P.S.: 18
P.P.: 12
P.E.: 18
P.B.: 7
Speed: 9

PHYSICAL DATA
P.P.E.: 5
I.S.P.: 11 (+2 / level) (Multiplied by x2/x4/etc vs higher supernatural threats)
H.P.: 16 + 1D6/level
S.D.C.: 70
Age: 29
Sex: Male
Height: 5'9"
Weight: 190
Description: Caucasian, rough around the edges, sandy blonde hair and beard.
30% (+3%) / 50% (Sixth Sense) / 65% (Open to Supernatural)
Sense Supernatural Evil (Range: 300 ft + 50/level)
Sense fluxes of > 20 PPE Range: 600 ft + 100/level) (Open to Supernatural)
Recognizes Possession - Base Skill: 50% (+5%)
Recognizes Magic Enchantment - 30% (+5%)
+ 10% if the magic is evil/hurtful
+ 20% when possessed by an evil supernatural being.

HTH Type: Basic
Number of Attacks: 5
Initiative Bonus: +6 (Sixth Sense)
Strike Bonus:
Parry Bonus: +2 / +4 (Sixth Sense)
Dodge Bonus: +2 / +5 (Sixth Sense)
HTH Damage Bonus: +3
Bonus to Roll w/Punch: +4
Bonus to Pull a Punch: +2
Bonus to Disarm:
Other: When using any powers: No initiative roll, only 4 Attacks per melee

Weapon Proficiencies
W.P. Knife +1 to strike at levels 2, 4, 7, 10, and 13. +1 to parry at levels, 1, 3, 6, 9, and 12. +1 to strike when thrown at levels, 1, 3, 6, 8, 10 and 13.
W.P. Rifles +1 to strike at levels 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11, and 13.
Coma/Death: +3
Magic (varies): +5**
Lethal Poison (14+): +3
Non-Lethal Poison (16+): +3
Insanity (10+): +1
Psionics (10+): +1**
Horror Factor (varies): +4
Possession: +4
**+4 to save vs mind-altering drugs, magical charms, and mental confusion.
**-1 to save vs Illusions and Telepathic or Empathic probes and attacks.
User avatar
Consumer
Game Master
Posts: 1966
Joined: Sun Sep 13, 2009 2:26 pm
Location: GM/DM (The Templar, PW: Galactic Rogues, BTS:OGoA)
Contact:

Re: Getting Their Bearings: Part Two

Post by Consumer »

Getting their Bearings: Part Two
Time and Weather wrote:Location: Whitlach Estate, Prosperity, West Virginia
Date: Wednesday, March 22nd, 1925. 12:30 AM (3:30 hours has passed)
Weather: 50 degrees Fahrenheit; Raining.
I.S.P. Modifier: x1
Case Notes: The Highway
A Path Least Taken; At Whitlach House
.
Sean wrote:"I have a bit of a suggestion. Maybe we kill two birds with one stone. I know some speakeasies around... we can run about, have a bit of fun. We can put some ears out there to see what we hear about the mine or anything else. That would be one bird... The second bird... we head out by way of this mysterious stretch of highway. We drive down a bit for ourselves. See if anything pops out and says boo. It will at least let some of us get a feel for the area. If something tickles our fancy, we move forward on that and put mine 8 on the back burner for now... If that plan works for you lads... I can reach out to my employer and get the ok to bring some friends."
Sean knows he can do exactly as he tells the group, it’s just the timing. He likely would have a much easier and friendlier time of talking to his boss in the morning. Especially since he hasn’t checked in with him for several days.
Zachary wrote:"You mean clearing out the mine with an "emergency" before we go inside? You sneaky devil, that might be one way to go about it... despite the risks and all... I'd still be all open to breaking in. Wouldn't be my first time doing so to investigate a case. Then again, we can't exactly investigate if we're behind bars... I'm with Sean's idea. Maybe while we're out on the drive we can test a few things. See what makes... whatever this is tick. Hopefully we can pull it off without ending up a crumpled mess in a ditch... Maybe it'll give us some time to figure out what kind of "thought" would work best to clear out a mine. Regarding the highway however, shall we give it a try while the oil's still burning?"
Zachary still tries to have hope about the Mine lead, but nothing seems to be a solid plan, and like he thinks, it’ll just likely get him jailed or worse. Zachary leaves the table to look at the decorative suits of plate armor scattered about. Thinking maybe he could wear one for protection. This seems to be a false hope as he finds the suits bolted or welded to their stands, and not very usable.
Isaiah wrote:"From what I can tell, whatever the note meant to warn about, is cold. From the brief talk with Carl, it might end up putting a target on us and the only ones we'd be placing in danger is ourselves. I don't think we should try sneaking in. However, there are still a series of unexplained missing persons dating back 70 years on that highway. I'd like to look into that some... We don't know anything about what to expect, and we have little to defend ourselves from the unknown. I think Knowledge is the best weapon we can have, and right now, time is not against us. If we go out and kick the nest, we could be the next victims... I'm just trying to say we should try to be smart about it. "
Isaiah looks at the newspaper clippings finding them a bit jumbled at first. But after a few minutes of organization, Isaiah finds the latest reported in the paper incident was just a hair over two months ago. December 15th, 1924 a pair of delivery drivers seemingly vanished one snowy night, while heading down route twenty. Local law enforcement found the truck a few days later, half buried in a ravine, but no sign of the driver/passenger. The first newspaper article is dated October 10th 1852, and it speaks of a missing grocer wagon, horses, supplies, and driver all vanished. A brief glance at the rest seems to confirm dozens of missing vehicles and people over the past seventy years.
Jake wrote:"You have employers? If there's a way to be a part of what you fellas do I'd love to meet 'em. It's kind of hard to just go back to being a miner after all this... If there's any way I can help, just tell me what to do."
With a bit of research done the group decides to drive out to route twenty and see what can be seen. The trip is not quick due to the circuitous route the group need to take from Prosperity, but about three hours of going around mountains and over ravines, the group make the general area near Bellwood, on route twenty. The road is devoid of other traffic as most rational folk are in bed by this point. But the group soldiers on. As they travel north west up the route, Isaiah notices a beat up truck parked on the side of the road, just off in some bushes.

What Are Your Intentions?

Zachary: HP: 42/42, S.D.C. 29/29, I.S.P.: 9/9
Sean: HP:18/18, S.D.C.: 50/50, I.S.P.: 12/12
Isaiah: HP: 16/16, S.D.C.: 29/29, I.S.P.: 13/13
Violet: HP: 16/16, S.D.C.: 36/36, I.S.P.: 9/9
Jake HP: 16/16, S.D.C. 70/70, I.S.P.: 3/11
"All things age. All things die. In the end, our sun burns out. Our universe grows cold and perishes. But the Dark Dimension, it’s the place beyond time."
GM of The Templar, Phase World: Galactic Rogues, Beyond the Supernatural: Old Gods of Appalachia
PP Ledger
User avatar
Zachary Splindt
Posts: 129
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2021 3:17 pm

Re: Getting Their Bearings: Part Two

Post by Zachary Splindt »

Perception: 1d100: [24] = 24 (26%)
JIC 1D100: 1d100: [63] = 63
JIC 1D20: 1d20: [6] = 6
Conditions: Closed to the Supernatural
Crime Scene Investigation: 1d100: [53] = 53 (70%)

Zachary steps out of the car, and takes in the scenery around him. Quiet. Barely a soul in sight. The quiet is somewhat unnerving however, as the detective’s thoughts turn to possible causes for the disappearances. Lost in his thoughts, Zachary mutters outloud. “An anomally, maybe? Though most of our encounters have been with deadly creatures rather than strange phenomena. Might be better to assume it was something in the woods…

Assuming Isaiah informs the rest fo the party
Zachary looks towards the truck, surprised to have not noticed it before. Walking slowly to make sure there’s no ambush of fiendish hounds or angered lake ghosts, Zachary will have a look inside to see if there were any signs of a fight or struggle (Crime Scene Investigation) Of particular, Zachary is looking for signs of dents in the car, or torn seats and cracked windows.
Last edited by Zachary Splindt on Mon Apr 22, 2024 2:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.
User avatar
Isaiah Peirce
Posts: 25
Joined: Fri Aug 25, 2023 6:58 am

Re: Getting Their Bearings: Part Two

Post by Isaiah Peirce »

Perception: 1d100: [95] = 95 /40%
JiC: 1d20: [17] = 17 / 1d100: [13] = 13

Conditions: Sense Supernatural Evil (350ft) | Sixth Sense (Inactive)

Skills:
Intelligence: 1d100: [63] = 63 /52% [Recognize patterns in the dozens of missing]
Research: 1d100: [80] = 80 /55% [Information about the area around Route 20 during the 1850s]
Tracking (People): 1d100: [72] = 72 /35% [Any tracks around the truck, signs of a struggle, etc]

Post:

Isaiah records the information he finds into his journal for easier access later, only writing down pertinent information from what he finds into his own smaller but detailed notes. As Isaiah records what he finds and looks at again, he begins trying to identify any patterns. He is looking for time between the missing, time of day the missing tend to occur.

10 October 1852 - Grocer wagon, horses and two(?) occupants all vanish. First recorded incident.
Dozens of other examples written down in the same setup in chronological order.
15 December 1924 - Two delivery drivers vanished on a snowy night on Rte 20. Within a week the abandoned truck was located without any signs of the missing. Last recorded event.


Isaiah chews the tip of his pencil as he studies it. Tapping the pencil to the table then his own head as he thinks. Many things follow a pattern, maybe this does as well? A feeding cycle maybe? Did something move in or get woken up. I wonder what information we have on Route 20 from the 1850s.. Isaiah then looks on the walls of the library to see if he can find any more information about Route 20 as well. If interrupted while he is working, he'll shrug. "Information is the most potent weapon." Will be all he says until he's satisfied.

Regardless of the information he finds, getting eyes on is still important to the investigator as the group heads over to Route 20. Isaiah will continue studying the notes he's taken in his journal for the three hour trek, only putting it back into his coat when they arrive in Bellwood. Isaiah now paying more attention to the surroundings as he spots the beat up truck. Isaiah grimaces. Looks like December 15th wasn't the most recent. Isaiah thinks briefly before looking to Sean.

"Stop the car! Spotted a beat up truck behind the brush on the side of the road. Might be a new set of victims." Isaiah will point out the vehicle and when able, hop out to investigate it and look for tracks around the truck.
Paranormal Investigator Isaiah S. Peirce | EP Ledger

Important Numbers: Perception 40% | H.P.: 16 | S.D.C: 29 | I.S.P.: 13
Magic (varies): +1
Lethal Poison (14+): +3
Non-Lethal Poison (16+): +3
Insanity (12+): +1
Psionics (10): +3
Horror Factor (varies): +3
Mind Altering effects (magic, mental or drug): +3
User avatar
Jake Foster
Posts: 16
Joined: Tue Nov 21, 2023 9:17 am

Re: Getting Their Bearings: Part Two

Post by Jake Foster »

Perception: d100: [31] = 31 (see post signature)
JIC: d20: [2] = 2 -- d100: [56] = 56
(Open to Supernatural)
===
Jake is of little use during the research phase, so he runs home to meditate and clear his head. He gears up for their field excursion, packing his rucksack and utility belt, then slings his Mauser before returning to the estate. He rides in the back on the way, filled with excitement and more than a little fear, but he maintains the calm, stoic look of a soldier as he keeps a keen eye on their surroundings.
Isaiah Peirce wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 8:08 am "Stop the car! Spotted a beat up truck behind the brush on the side of the road. Might be a new set of victims." Isaiah will point out the vehicle and when able, hop out to investigate it and look for tracks around the truck.
Alas, Jake was not an advance scout in the Army. Though he was on the front lines most of his tour, he was an engineer and bomb specialist. But he knew enough about hunting and
<=30% d100: [52] = 52
to know what to look and listen for in the trees. He unslings his rifle, but keeps it lowered as he keeps watch on the perimeter, particularly alert to supernatural evil and his sixth sense.
Character Sheet: viewtopic.php?p=1397296#p1397296
I.Q.: 9
M.E.: 16
M.A.: 9
P.S.: 18
P.P.: 12
P.E.: 18
P.B.: 7
Speed: 9

PHYSICAL DATA
P.P.E.: 5
I.S.P.: 11 (+2 / level) (Multiplied by x2/x4/etc vs higher supernatural threats)
H.P.: 16 + 1D6/level
S.D.C.: 70
Age: 29
Sex: Male
Height: 5'9"
Weight: 190
Description: Caucasian, rough around the edges, sandy blonde hair and beard.
30% (+3%) / 50% (Sixth Sense) / 65% (Open to Supernatural)
Sense Supernatural Evil (Range: 300 ft + 50/level)
Sense fluxes of > 20 PPE Range: 600 ft + 100/level) (Open to Supernatural)
Recognizes Possession - Base Skill: 50% (+5%)
Recognizes Magic Enchantment - 30% (+5%)
+ 10% if the magic is evil/hurtful
+ 20% when possessed by an evil supernatural being.

HTH Type: Basic
Number of Attacks: 5
Initiative Bonus: +6 (Sixth Sense)
Strike Bonus:
Parry Bonus: +2 / +4 (Sixth Sense)
Dodge Bonus: +2 / +5 (Sixth Sense)
HTH Damage Bonus: +3
Bonus to Roll w/Punch: +4
Bonus to Pull a Punch: +2
Bonus to Disarm:
Other: When using any powers: No initiative roll, only 4 Attacks per melee

Weapon Proficiencies
W.P. Knife +1 to strike at levels 2, 4, 7, 10, and 13. +1 to parry at levels, 1, 3, 6, 9, and 12. +1 to strike when thrown at levels, 1, 3, 6, 8, 10 and 13.
W.P. Rifles +1 to strike at levels 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11, and 13.
Coma/Death: +3
Magic (varies): +5**
Lethal Poison (14+): +3
Non-Lethal Poison (16+): +3
Insanity (10+): +1
Psionics (10+): +1**
Horror Factor (varies): +4
Possession: +4
**+4 to save vs mind-altering drugs, magical charms, and mental confusion.
**-1 to save vs Illusions and Telepathic or Empathic probes and attacks.
User avatar
Sean Burke
Posts: 40
Joined: Tue Jul 11, 2023 10:47 am

Re: Getting Their Bearings: Part Two

Post by Sean Burke »

Perception: 30% vs 1d100: [7] = 7
JIC: 1d20: [17] = 17 and 1d100: [76] = 76
Conditions: None

Skills
Automobile 80% vs 1d100: [41] = 41 - identify any possible road hazards that might be causing any of these incidents.
Automotive Mechanics 76% vs 1d100: [64] = 64 - identify any mechanical issues with the truck.

Olfactory Smells and Omens: I.S.P.: 3 - Smell the general area

Post
Isaiah Peirce wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 8:08 am "Stop the car! Spotted a beat up truck behind the brush on the side of the road. Might be a new set of victims." Isaiah will point out the vehicle and when able, hop out to investigate it and look for tracks around the truck.
Sean drives along watching the roads and looking for anything out of the ordinary. He pays attention to road conditions, looking for anything that might cause and an unusual number of accidents. When Isaiah points out the beat-up truck Sean pulls over, hmm, what do we have here?
Zachary Splindt wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 7:46 pmAn anomally, maybe? Though most of our encounters have been with deadly creatures rather than strange phenomena. Might be better to assume it was something in the woods…
Sean steps out of the vehicle and walks over to the truck to look it over. "Could just be a mechanical issue." He makes his way to the front of the truck and lifts the hood to check the condition of the engine. Next, he slides under the truck to check the condition of the chassis and the outside of the drivetrain. Standing up he checks the tires.

After his exhaustive look Sean stands and wipes and dirt or sand from his pants and shirt and take a good long smell. I wonder... he thinks to himself as he takes in whatever scents he can gather. After getting a good whiff of the area Sean opens himself seeing if he can sense any spirits around them.

Stretching in the cool night air Sean looks around for Henry, "Henry? What do you think? Coincidence?"
Post Reply

Return to “Horror from the Dark”