Hold Back the Night. Chapter 2

Where Chaos Earth adventures take place.
User avatar
Falcon
Posts: 60
Joined: Thu Dec 29, 2022 1:13 pm

Re: Hold Back the Night. Chapter 2

Post by Falcon »

Perception: 18% / 1d100: [7] = 7
JIC: 1d20: [8] = 8 / 1d100: [96] = 96
+2 v HF, +2 v Lethal/Non-lethal Toxins, +6% vs Coma/Death, +2 vs Magic, +2 vs Insanity, +2 vs Psionics
M& wrote:A large, bright blue coral-like tree stands in the middle of a collapsed building. It resembles a giant cactus, about seventeen feet tall, but with a dozen branching limbs. The coral seems to shimmer slightly in the dim light and snowy haze. About fifty yards away, two more large tree-like figures stand among the destruction. Further down the city block, the ruins shift into shades of blue, purple, and green.
Falcon lets off on the tracking, letting the hounds stay focused on the trail as he watches the surroundings. He tracks through all of his enhanced senses, trying to gather as much information about the strange growths as possible. Rex, I've a feeling we're not in Kansas anymore. We are going to need to gather information about this new environment.

Detect Ambush (45%): 1d100: [63] = 63
Marconi wrote: Liam shouts over the radio (not that shouting will make a difference, but he is too nervous not to), "Incoming power surge, get away from the line as fast as possible!"
Falcon hears the warning and, due to years of training and experience, doesn’t hesitate. He and the hounds turn 90 degrees from the wall of energy and kicks up to fullspeed. The three of them take off down a street at 40 mph away from the ley line, putting walls, buildings, and other structures between them and the energy wall when possible. As he runs, Falcon takes just a second, and single breath to respond, "Roger!"



In case of violence: Initiative +4 (+5 w/rifles)
Initiative: 1d20+4: 1d20+5: [16]+5 = 21

Actions performed not necessarily in this order

Action 1: Reserved for Dodge/vehicle maneuver
Action 2: Reserved for Dodge/vehicle maneuver
Action 3: Strike: Rifle 1d20+9: [4]+9 = 13 , Damage - SDC (5D6): 5d6: [2, 1, 5, 5, 1] = 14 , Damage - MDC (3D6): 3d6: [6, 5, 2] = 13
Action 4: Strike: Rifle 1d20+9: [4]+9 = 13 , Damage - SDC (5D6): 5d6: [5, 1, 5, 3, 1] = 15 , Damage - MDC (3D6): 3d6: [1, 4, 4] = 9
Action 5: Strike: Rifle 1d20+9: [10]+9 = 19 , Damage - SDC (5D6): 5d6: [1, 5, 1, 3, 2] = 12 , Damage - MDC (3D6): 3d6: [3, 4, 4] = 11
Action 6: Strike: Rifle 1d20+9: [6]+9 = 15 , Damage - SDC (5D6): 5d6: [4, 4, 3, 2, 4] = 17 , Damage - MDC (3D6): 3d6: [4, 1, 5] = 10

Parries (+8 included): 1d20+8: [4]+8 = 12 , 1d20+8: [11]+8 = 19 , 1d20+8: [1]+8 = 9 , 1d20+8: [1]+8 = 9 , 1d20+8: [4]+8 = 12
Dodges (+9 included): 1d20+9: [14]+9 = 23 , 1d20+9: [19]+9 = 28 , 1d20+9: [5]+9 = 14 , 1d20+9: [20]+9 = 29 , 1d20+9: [9]+9 = 18

Rex:
Initiative
Initiative: 1d20: 1d20: [16] = 16

Actions performed not necessarily in this order

Action 1: Reserved for Dodge
Action 2: Strike: Head Lasers: 1d20+2: [3]+2 = 5 , Damage – MDC (4D4): 4d4: [2, 3, 2, 4] = 11
Action 3: Strike: Head Lasers: 1d20+2: [2]+2 = 4 , Damage – MDC (4D4): 4d4: [4, 1, 4, 2] = 11
Action 4: Strike: Head Lasers: 1d20+2: [16]+2 = 18 , Damage – MDC (4D4): 4d4: [3, 1, 3, 1] = 8
Action 5: Strike: Head Lasers: 1d20+2: [2]+2 = 4 , Damage – MDC (4D4): 4d4: [1, 2, 4, 3] = 10
Action 6: Strike: Head Lasers: 1d20+2: [6]+2 = 8 , Damage – MDC (4D4): 4d4: [4, 1, 2, 3] = 10

Parries/Dodges
Parries (+1 included): 1d20+1: [1]+1 = 2 , 1d20+1: [14]+1 = 15 , 1d20+1: [5]+1 = 6 , 1d20+1: [1]+1 = 2 , 1d20+1: [20]+1 = 21
Dodges (+4 included): 1d20+4: [4]+4 = 8 , 1d20+4: [17]+4 = 21 , 1d20+4: [14]+4 = 18 , 1d20+4: [9]+4 = 13 , 1d20+4: [8]+4 = 12

Nora:
Initiative
Initiative: 1d20: 1d20: [19] = 19

Actions performed not necessarily in this order

Action 1: Reserved for Dodge
Action 2: Strike: Head Lasers: 1d20+2: [1]+2 = 3 , Damage – MDC (4D4): 4d4: [3, 3, 4, 2] = 12
Action 3: Strike: Head Lasers: 1d20+2: [18]+2 = 20 , Damage – MDC (4D4): 4d4: [2, 2, 3, 3] = 10
Action 4: Strike: Head Lasers: 1d20+2: [18]+2 = 20 , Damage – MDC (4D4): 4d4: [4, 1, 4, 4] = 13
Action 5: Strike: Head Lasers: 1d20+2: [5]+2 = 7 , Damage – MDC (4D4): 4d4: [2, 3, 1, 3] = 9
Action 6: Strike: Head Lasers: 1d20+2: [12]+2 = 14 , Damage – MDC (4D4): 4d4: [3, 2, 2, 4] = 11

Parries/Dodges
Parries (+1 included): 1d20+1: [8]+1 = 9 , 1d20+1: [12]+1 = 13 , 1d20+1: [8]+1 = 9 , 1d20+1: [12]+1 = 13 , 1d20+1: [5]+1 = 6
Dodges (+4 included): 1d20+4: [15]+4 = 19 , 1d20+4: [11]+4 = 15 , 1d20+4: [2]+4 = 6 , 1d20+4: [8]+4 = 12 , 1d20+4: [15]+4 = 19
User avatar
Myth and Jest
Dimension Master
Posts: 83
Joined: Mon Nov 28, 2022 10:42 am
Location: Chaos Earth DM

Re: Hold Back the Night. Chapter 2

Post by Myth and Jest »

11:05 - 28 December – Evansville

Marconi shouts a warning over the radio and grabs the side of the craft. The machine pitches forward with a sudden burst of speed, and Sergeant Gomez curses in surprise as the force of acceleration throws her back. A giant ball of massive energy cascades along the blue wall, zipping past the speeding hovercraft just out of harm’s way. The area lights up in a blinding flash as if a small star exploded, causing everyone’s helmet screen to tint the exposure and fades as the power surge recedes in the distance.

Gomez struggles with the speeding craft and attempts to correct its trajectory as it weaves through the ruined city. She overcorrects away from a crumbled skyscraper and clips a jutting steel beam. The craft spins mid-air and slams into the ground, tumbling on its side and skidding to a sudden stop against a line of wrecked cars. Marconi, hanging upside down from the safety belts, feels like he’s been trampled by a herd of horses.
OOC Comments
Marconi and Gomez take 3D6 SDC of bumps, bruises, and minor damage.
Falcon thoroughly examines the terrain and realizes that two landscapes have been woven together in some kind of manic tapestry. A large grove of coral-like trees pops up in the middle of a hollowed-out building, a car embedded halfway into a sizeable purple boulder, and other oddities overtake the ruins. He searches for any sign of danger but the area appears empty, though the tracks lead to a large abnormal building jutting up between two standing high-rises about a hundred yards away.

Marconi’s warning blares over the comm line, and Falcon takes off with unnatural speed away from the wall of energy. Even with his speed, sizzling energy crackles behind him with a flash of glaring light as a lightning bolt reaches out and plucks him off the ground. In a blink of an eye, Falcon flashes out of existence.

Falcone feels a bit singed by electricity as he lies in a mound of ash and snow. Steam rises off his armor. Blinking to clear his vision, the world slowly comes to focus as his cybernetics recalibrate. His HUD updates his location and states he’s one hundred yards away from his previous location. Nora is back at his original location, out of sight. Rex is at his side but shows a Rebooting warning. Before he can move, he hears the crunching of footsteps next to him and a child’s face leans over him, except the child’s skin tone is a light blue, and has a set of four dark blues eyes; adorable, but uncanny. A child’s voice giggles and asks, “Are you okay?” It takes him a second to realize that the voice wasn’t out loud but in his mind.
OOC Comments
Falcon takes 2D6 SDC of minor bumps and bruises.
Falcon didn't notice anything alien about the people he was previously fighting because their clothing covered any features, however, the child's clothing is similar to those he was fighting.
User avatar
Falcon
Posts: 60
Joined: Thu Dec 29, 2022 1:13 pm

Re: Hold Back the Night. Chapter 2

Post by Falcon »

Perception: 18% / 1d100: [42] = 42
JIC: 1d20: [12] = 12 / 1d100: [30] = 30
+2 v HF, +2 v Lethal/Non-lethal Toxins, +6% vs Coma/Death, +2 vs Magic, +2 vs Insanity, +2 vs Psionics

Bumps & Bruises (2D6): 2d6: [4, 1] = 5
M&J wrote: Falcone feels a bit singed by electricity as he lies in a mound of ash and snow. Steam rises off his armor. Blinking to clear his vision, the world slowly comes to focus as his cybernetics recalibrate. His HUD updates his location and states he’s one hundred yards away from his previous location. Nora is back at his original location, out of sight. Rex is at his side but shows a Rebooting warning.
Falcon’s training kicks in as he freezes to not give anything away. He stretches out his senses attempting to get a better read on his surroundings. Are there heat signatures of people hiding in the shadows? Can he hear anything in near by rooms? How many entrances, defensive positions, etc.?
Noticing Rex beside him, but no sign of Nora, he attempts contact by text, not voice. ”Nora, can you locate my position? Find Gomez and Marconi, assist, and lead them here if possible.”
Rex’s Reboot warning worries him, but shows that the hound’s systems kicked in and are working properly. Ok, Reboot normally takes 30 seconds to 2 minutes depending on the situation. Time to hold out.
M&J wrote: Before he can move, he hears the crunching of footsteps next to him and a child’s face leans over him, except the child’s skin tone is a light blue, and has a set of four dark blues eyes; adorable, but uncanny. A child’s voice giggles and asks, “Are you okay?” It takes him a second to realize that the voice wasn’t out loud but in his mind.
Falcon starts a bit at the multiple eyes, but stays calm. Remember how civilians looked at you when you first took your cybernetics and visor. At that time he had promised to never judge anyone based on how they looked or sounded, only on how they acted.
Falcon sits up, moving his rifle to sling behind him, but keeping his hand near his pistol. He scans through the various light frequencies to get as much information as possible. Body temperature? S%!t, if he-she is a zombie, with no body heat, I don’t know if I’m ready for that.
Not knowing what toxins may be in the strange environment, he keeps his helmet sealed. ”Hello little one. I am ok, but my friend here” Falcon gestures at Rex. ”Needs some time to rest and recover. I’m Falcon, and this is Rex. What is your name?” I wonder if she thinks it is odd that I spoke out loud when she didn’t. Is this what people feel like when I use my internal comms rather than speaking?

In case of violence: Initiative +4 (+5 w/rifles)
Initiative: 1d20+4: 1d20+4: [5]+4 = 9

Actions performed not necessarily in this order

Action 1: Reserved for Dodge/vehicle maneuver
Action 2: Reserved for Dodge/vehicle maneuver
Action 3: Strike: Rifle 1d20+9: [11]+9 = 20 , Damage - SDC (5D6): 5d6: [6, 3, 4, 5, 3] = 21 , Damage - MDC (3D6): 3d6: [1, 3, 2] = 6
Action 4: Strike: Rifle 1d20+9: [12]+9 = 21 , Damage - SDC (5D6): 5d6: [4, 5, 1, 1, 5] = 16 , Damage - MDC (3D6): 3d6: [6, 3, 6] = 15
Action 5: Strike: Rifle 1d20+9: [12]+9 = 21 , Damage - SDC (5D6): 5d6: [4, 3, 1, 4, 1] = 13 , Damage - MDC (3D6): 3d6: [2, 3, 2] = 7
Action 6: Strike: Rifle 1d20+9: [5]+9 = 14 , Damage - SDC (5D6): 5d6: [4, 1, 2, 3, 5] = 15 , Damage - MDC (3D6): 3d6: [3, 4, 4] = 11

Parries (+8 included): 1d20+8: [13]+8 = 21 , 1d20+8: [12]+8 = 20 , 1d20+8: [20]+8 = 28 , 1d20+8: [18]+8 = 26 , 1d20+8: [6]+8 = 14
Dodges (+9 included): 1d20+9: [19]+9 = 28 , 1d20+9: [13]+9 = 22 , 1d20+9: [9]+9 = 18 , 1d20+9: [9]+9 = 18 , 1d20+9: [17]+9 = 26

Rex:
Initiative
Initiative: 1d20: 1d20: [5] = 5

Actions performed not necessarily in this order

Action 1: Reserved for Dodge
Action 2: Strike: Head Lasers: 1d20+2: [15]+2 = 17 , Damage – MDC (4D4): 4d4: [1, 2, 4, 3] = 10
Action 3: Strike: Head Lasers: 1d20+2: [3]+2 = 5 , Damage – MDC (4D4): 4d4: [4, 4, 3, 2] = 13
Action 4: Strike: Head Lasers: 1d20+2: [1]+2 = 3 , Damage – MDC (4D4): 4d4: [3, 1, 2, 1] = 7
Action 5: Strike: Head Lasers: 1d20+2: [5]+2 = 7 , Damage – MDC (4D4): 4d4: [3, 2, 3, 1] = 9
Action 6: Strike: Head Lasers: 1d20+2: [13]+2 = 15 , Damage – MDC (4D4): 4d4: [3, 3, 2, 4] = 12

Parries/Dodges
Parries (+1 included): 1d20+1: [2]+1 = 3 , 1d20+1: [10]+1 = 11 , 1d20+1: [9]+1 = 10 , 1d20+1: [18]+1 = 19 , 1d20+1: [17]+1 = 18
Dodges (+4 included): 1d20+4: [10]+4 = 14 , 1d20+4: [19]+4 = 23 , 1d20+4: [5]+4 = 9 , 1d20+4: [1]+4 = 5 , 1d20+4: [18]+4 = 22

Nora:
Initiative
Initiative: 1d20: 1d20: [2] = 2

Actions performed not necessarily in this order

Action 1: Reserved for Dodge
Action 2: Strike: Head Lasers: 1d20+2: [5]+2 = 7 , Damage – MDC (4D4): 4d4: [3, 1, 2, 3] = 9
Action 3: Strike: Head Lasers: 1d20+2: [9]+2 = 11 , Damage – MDC (4D4): 4d4: [3, 1, 1, 3] = 8
Action 4: Strike: Head Lasers: 1d20+2: [16]+2 = 18 , Damage – MDC (4D4): 4d4: [3, 2, 4, 4] = 13
Action 5: Strike: Head Lasers: 1d20+2: [6]+2 = 8 , Damage – MDC (4D4): 4d4: [2, 1, 1, 2] = 6
Action 6: Strike: Head Lasers: 1d20+2: [7]+2 = 9 , Damage – MDC (4D4): 4d4: [2, 1, 1, 4] = 8

Parries/Dodges
Parries (+1 included): 1d20+1: [11]+1 = 12 , 1d20+1: [7]+1 = 8 , 1d20+1: [13]+1 = 14 , 1d20+1: [20]+1 = 21 , 1d20+1: [19]+1 = 20
Dodges (+4 included): 1d20+4: [19]+4 = 23 , 1d20+4: [16]+4 = 20 , 1d20+4: [12]+4 = 16 , 1d20+4: [9]+4 = 13 , 1d20+4: [13]+4 = 17
Liam Marconi
Posts: 78
Joined: Mon Dec 05, 2022 8:21 am

Re: Hold Back the Night. Chapter 2

Post by Liam Marconi »

Perception (24%): 1d100: [64] = 64
JIC (d20/d%): 1d20: [1] = 1 / 1d100: [86] = 86

11:05 - 28 December – Evansville

After a number of bumps the flight platform comes to a rest, unfortunately resting on the opposite side so Liam is left hanging by his safety belt. He comments to Gomez, "They say any landing you can walk away from is a good landing. Let me get my belt undone and we can see about the walking part."

He is less than certain, he was thrown around inside his armor hard enough by the crash that he is bruised...hopefully nothing worse than bruises. Even a bad bruise on some leg muscles can make walking a severe chore.

He thinks, OK, so step 1, see if I can release the safety belt.

He notes, in passing, that whatever protects him evidently wears off at the same time as his senses go back to normal.

He flips his radio on, "Falcon, you still with us?"
User avatar
Myth and Jest
Dimension Master
Posts: 83
Joined: Mon Nov 28, 2022 10:42 am
Location: Chaos Earth DM

Re: Hold Back the Night. Chapter 2

Post by Myth and Jest »

11:20 - 28 December – Evansville / Alien Territory

Nora’s confirmation of her new orders displays on Falcon’s HUD, and it bounds away toward the team’s last known location.

Falcon notices Rex’s rebooting status and scans the area as a girl stands over him. She appears eight years old if she were human. She is clearly an alien of some kind, but her body temperature is only two degrees lower than a human’s. He introduces himself aloud, and the girl replies with a slight bow. She brings her hands together as if praying and raises them to her forehead before dropping them.

“I am glad you are all right. The Blue River can be really mean sometimes. You need to be careful of when it flushes. Did you not hear it singing? You’re silly to dance with it.” Xyria said, giving Falcon a stern look as if scolding a child before smiling and giggling. “Are you and Rex false creatures?”

Falcon notices she replies out loud in some unknown language, but her voice replies in English in his head. His area scans show he appears alone with Xyria and Rex without any sign of immediate danger.

Evansville / Crash Site

Marconi seems able enough to move and walk and is clear of any wreckage. He opens a comm line to Falcon and waits for a reply before noticing the world is silent and still. The hovercraft’s engines sit unpowered, and Gomez has yet to move.
Liam Marconi
Posts: 78
Joined: Mon Dec 05, 2022 8:21 am

Re: Hold Back the Night. Chapter 2

Post by Liam Marconi »

Perception (24% general): 1d100: [100] = 100
JIC (d20/d%): 1d20: [3] = 3 / 1d100: [17] = 17

Liam gets no reply to his call, and then realizes he has not heard from Gomez since the crash.

He thinks, The sergeant is too tough and old bird to be dead, but she might have gotten knocked out. I better check on her.

He looks for where she was seated and tries to figure out how to get there if it is in a bad place.

He will climb to her position, if needed.
Climbing (60%): 1d100: [6] = 6

Once there, he will have to decide if it is possible and safe to move her. If it is, he move her to a better position, and remove as much of her armor as necessary to assess her injuries. Whether or not he can move her, he will then attempt to use his first aid training to help her.

First Aid (60%): 1d100: [36] = 36
User avatar
Falcon
Posts: 60
Joined: Thu Dec 29, 2022 1:13 pm

Re: Hold Back the Night. Chapter 2

Post by Falcon »

Perception: 18% / 1d100: [45] = 45
JIC: 1d20: [17] = 17 / 1d100: [46] = 46
+2 v HF, +2 v Lethal/Non-lethal Toxins, +6% vs Coma/Death, +2 vs Magic, +2 vs Insanity, +2 vs Psionics
Marconi wrote: He flips his radio on, "Falcon, you still with us?"
Falcon takes a moment to respond to Marconi. ”Marconi, I hear you. How are you on your side? I appear to be in one of the buildings nearby. Nora is on her way to your 20. Then see if you can make it to mine.”
M&J wrote: Did you not hear it singing? You’re silly to dance with it.” Xyria said, giving Falcon a stern look as if scolding a child before smiling and giggling. “Are you and Rex false creatures?”
Falcon starts to get up, keeping his right hand free and close to his holster. He moves to Rex to double check for damage. ”Well, Xyria, The blue rivers are new to us here and we have a lot to learn. Perhaps you and your family can help us. Rex and I weren’t trying to dance. We were trying to bravely run away, but weren’t fast enough.”

He then pauses to think about the question about false creatures. Does she mean mechanical, or not of her species. During this pause he also attempts to access his internal language translator. I wonder if I can use this double speaking to speed up the uploading of her language.

”As for false creatures, that depends on what you mean. Rex is a machine, but acts like, and I care for him as, a loving pet.” That’s right Falcon. Make Rex and yourself more human, or more empathetic.

”As for me. I was born flesh and blood, but have been injured over time, so had to have prosthetics attached. Does that answer your question?”


In case of violence: Initiative +4 (+5 w/rifles)
Initiative: 1d20+4: 1d20+4: [6]+4 = 10

Actions performed not necessarily in this order

Action 1: Reserved for Dodge/vehicle maneuver
Action 2: Reserved for Dodge/vehicle maneuver
Action 3: Strike: Rifle 1d20+9: [20]+9 = 29 , Damage - SDC (5D6): 5d6: [4, 2, 5, 2, 6] = 19 , Damage - MDC (3D6): 3d6: [6, 1, 1] = 8
Action 4: Strike: Rifle 1d20+9: [8]+9 = 17 , Damage - SDC (5D6): 5d6: [6, 5, 3, 5, 3] = 22 , Damage - MDC (3D6): 3d6: [2, 3, 4] = 9
Action 5: Strike: Rifle 1d20+9: [2]+9 = 11 , Damage - SDC (5D6): 5d6: [1, 6, 4, 4, 6] = 21 , Damage - MDC (3D6): 3d6: [3, 3, 3] = 9
Action 6: Strike: Rifle 1d20+9: [15]+9 = 24 , Damage - SDC (5D6): 5d6: [1, 6, 5, 2, 5] = 19 , Damage - MDC (3D6): 3d6: [2, 5, 2] = 9

Parries (+8 included): 1d20+8: [12]+8 = 20 , 1d20+8: [15]+8 = 23 , 1d20+8: [8]+8 = 16 , 1d20+8: [20]+8 = 28 , 1d20+8: [19]+8 = 27
Dodges (+9 included): 1d20+9: [6]+9 = 15 , 1d20+9: [3]+9 = 12 , 1d20+9: [2]+9 = 11 , 1d20+9: [3]+9 = 12 , 1d20+9: [1]+9 = 10

Rex:
Initiative
Initiative: 1d20: 1d20: [15] = 15

Actions performed not necessarily in this order

Action 1: Reserved for Dodge
Action 2: Strike: Head Lasers: 1d20+2: [2]+2 = 4 , Damage – MDC (4D4): 4d4: [4, 2, 1, 2] = 9
Action 3: Strike: Head Lasers: 1d20+2: [9]+2 = 11 , Damage – MDC (4D4): 4d4: [4, 4, 2, 1] = 11
Action 4: Strike: Head Lasers: 1d20+2: [7]+2 = 9 , Damage – MDC (4D4): 4d4: [2, 4, 4, 2] = 12
Action 5: Strike: Head Lasers: 1d20+2: [13]+2 = 15 , Damage – MDC (4D4): 4d4: [3, 4, 2, 3] = 12
Action 6: Strike: Head Lasers: 1d20+2: [1]+2 = 3 , Damage – MDC (4D4): 4d4: [3, 2, 4, 4] = 13

Parries/Dodges
Parries (+1 included): 1d20+1: [10]+1 = 11 , 1d20+1: [18]+1 = 19 , 1d20+1: [9]+1 = 10 , 1d20+1: [18]+1 = 19 , 1d20+1: [3]+1 = 4
Dodges (+4 included): 1d20+4: [4]+4 = 8 , 1d20+4: [9]+4 = 13 , 1d20+4: [16]+4 = 20 , 1d20+4: [13]+4 = 17 , 1d20+4: [16]+4 = 20

Nora:
Initiative
Initiative: 1d20: 1d20: [20] = 20

Actions performed not necessarily in this order

Action 1: Reserved for Dodge
Action 2: Strike: Head Lasers: 1d20+2: [8]+2 = 10 , Damage – MDC (4D4): 4d4: [4, 1, 1, 2] = 8
Action 3: Strike: Head Lasers: 1d20+2: [18]+2 = 20 , Damage – MDC (4D4): 4d4: [4, 4, 2, 3] = 13
Action 4: Strike: Head Lasers: 1d20+2: [3]+2 = 5 , Damage – MDC (4D4): 4d4: [2, 4, 3, 3] = 12
Action 5: Strike: Head Lasers: 1d20+2: [14]+2 = 16 , Damage – MDC (4D4): 4d4: [2, 4, 4, 3] = 13
Action 6: Strike: Head Lasers: 1d20+2: [16]+2 = 18 , Damage – MDC (4D4): 4d4: [4, 1, 4, 1] = 10

Parries/Dodges
Parries (+1 included): 1d20+1: [7]+1 = 8 , 1d20+1: [5]+1 = 6 , 1d20+1: [20]+1 = 21 , 1d20+1: [4]+1 = 5 , 1d20+1: [1]+1 = 2
Dodges (+4 included): 1d20+4: [15]+4 = 19 , 1d20+4: [8]+4 = 12 , 1d20+4: [18]+4 = 22 , 1d20+4: [10]+4 = 14 , 1d20+4: [4]+4 = 8
User avatar
Myth and Jest
Dimension Master
Posts: 83
Joined: Mon Nov 28, 2022 10:42 am
Location: Chaos Earth DM

Re: Hold Back the Night. Chapter 2

Post by Myth and Jest »

11:21 - 28 December – Evansville / Crash Site

Marconi drops down to Gomez as Falcon’s reply comes over the radio. Gomez is unconscious from the impact but appears physically fine. He removes her helmet and uses smelling salts to wake her. She groans and opens her eyes. She slowly regains consciousness, and her eyes focus on Marconi standing over her. She jerks away from him in sudden fear. “What the fuck happened?!”

Evansville / Alien Territory

Rex finishes rebooting and stands as a message pops up on Falcon’s HUD, stating the robot has sustained no damage.

Xyria crouches down next to Rex and pets his metallic head. Rex remains motionless, seemingly oblivious to her affection. She looks back at Falcon, puzzled. “But where is your skin if you are flesh?” She walks back to him and examines his armor. She continues talking in a rambling stream. “The Rivers are normally asleep but are now angry, and the old people don’t know why. We want to go home. Can you send us home?”
Liam Marconi
Posts: 78
Joined: Mon Dec 05, 2022 8:21 am

Re: Hold Back the Night. Chapter 2

Post by Liam Marconi »

Myth and Jest wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2024 10:17 am 11:21 - 28 December – Evansville / Crash Site

Marconi drops down to Gomez as Falcon’s reply comes over the radio. Gomez is unconscious from the impact but appears physically fine. He removes her helmet and uses smelling salts to wake her. She groans and opens her eyes. She slowly regains consciousness, and her eyes focus on Marconi standing over her. She jerks away from him in sudden fear. “What the fuck happened?!”
Perception (24%): 1d100: [34] = 34
JIC (d20/d100): 1d20: [9] = 9 / 1d100: [69] = 69

Liam replies, "How the heck should I know? These things just happen. If I am near the blue line, and events make me desperate, then SOMETHING happens. Usually it is something useful, but so far I can not really control what. In this case, I was hoping for us to get away fast, and that is just what happened, we were suddenly a lot more fast than a platform in the condition we were in has any right to be. My guess is you were not expecting the speed and did not have time to adjust."
Falcon wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 4:46 pm
Falcon takes a moment to respond to Marconi. ”Marconi, I hear you. How are you on your side? I appear to be in one of the buildings nearby. Nora is on her way to your 20. Then see if you can make it to mine.”
He answers Falcon, "On our side is pretty accurate at the moment. The Hover Platform is sideways. Gomez was unconscious but is awake now. I am a bit banged up but intact. We may need your help to get things back level, if the platform is still in working order."

He looks around. He, for one, will feel better if we can get closer to the line. Since Nora is probably going to lead them that way, finding Nora is a good start.
Last edited by Liam Marconi on Fri Jan 12, 2024 3:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
Falcon
Posts: 60
Joined: Thu Dec 29, 2022 1:13 pm

Re: Hold Back the Night. Chapter 2

Post by Falcon »

Perception: 18% / 1d100: [49] = 49
JIC: 1d20: [12] = 12 / 1d100: [13] = 13
+2 v HF, +2 v Lethal/Non-lethal Toxins, +6% vs Coma/Death, +2 vs Magic, +2 vs Insanity, +2 vs Psionics
Marconi wrote: He answers Falcon, "On our side is pretty accurate at the moment. The Hover Platform is sideways. Gomez was unconscious but is awake now. I am a bit banged up but intact. We may need your help to get things back level, if the platform is still in working order."
Falcon lets out the breath he didn’t realize he was holding waiting for a response from the team. Good news and bad news.

”Ok, good to hear. We can always different transport. You and Gomez are harder to replace. I suggest you inventory gear, injuries, and damage. Wait for Nora, then head this way with any gear you feel shouldn’t be left alone. There should be a cargo harness on the platform that will connect to Nora so she can carry more. Keep me updated.”
M&J wrote: Xyria crouches down next to Rex and pets his metallic head. Rex remains motionless, seemingly oblivious to her affection. She looks back at Falcon, puzzled. “But where is your skin if you are flesh?” She walks back to him and examines his armor. She continues talking in a rambling stream. “The Rivers are normally asleep but are now angry, and the old people don’t know why. We want to go home. Can you send us home?”
Falcon takes another look at his reading and, knowing he has the air filters and back-up O2 supply, unhooks and removes his helmet. ”See, I have skin. What you see is just a form of clothing, like yours, but thicker and with a helmet.” Falcon reaches out a hand slowly to touch her cheek. ”We aren’t so different. I don’t know if we can send you home, but I will help if I can. Perhaps you can help me. We were looking for friends of ours who got lost. They would have skin like mine, but not the armor I have.”





In case of violence: Initiative +4 (+5 w/rifles)
Initiative: 1d20+4: 1d20+4: [7]+4 = 11

Actions performed not necessarily in this order

Action 1: Reserved for Dodge/vehicle maneuver
Action 2: Reserved for Dodge/vehicle maneuver
Action 3: Strike: Rifle 1d20+9: [17]+9 = 26 , Damage - SDC (5D6): 5d6: [6, 4, 6, 6, 3] = 25 , Damage - MDC (3D6): 3d6: [3, 2, 1] = 6
Action 4: Strike: Rifle 1d20+9: [18]+9 = 27 , Damage - SDC (5D6): 5d6: [3, 1, 5, 1, 2] = 12 , Damage - MDC (3D6): 3d6: [6, 6, 3] = 15
Action 5: Strike: Rifle 1d20+9: [17]+9 = 26 , Damage - SDC (5D6): 5d6: [4, 4, 6, 3, 6] = 23 , Damage - MDC (3D6): 3d6: [6, 3, 1] = 10
Action 6: Strike: Rifle 1d20+9: [15]+9 = 24 , Damage - SDC (5D6): 5d6: [1, 5, 4, 3, 4] = 17 , Damage - MDC (3D6): 3d6: [3, 3, 1] = 7

Parries (+8 included): 1d20+8: [7]+8 = 15 , 1d20+8: [3]+8 = 11 , 1d20+8: [4]+8 = 12 , 1d20+8: [7]+8 = 15 , 1d20+8: [5]+8 = 13
Dodges (+9 included): 1d20+9: [13]+9 = 22 , 1d20+9: [11]+9 = 20 , 1d20+9: [12]+9 = 21 , 1d20+9: [10]+9 = 19 , 1d20+9: [16]+9 = 25

Rex:
Initiative
Initiative: 1d20: 1d20: [11] = 11

Actions performed not necessarily in this order

Action 1: Reserved for Dodge
Action 2: Strike: Head Lasers: 1d20+2: [5]+2 = 7 , Damage – MDC (4D4): 4d4: [3, 4, 4, 2] = 13
Action 3: Strike: Head Lasers: 1d20+2: [15]+2 = 17 , Damage – MDC (4D4): 4d4: [3, 1, 1, 2] = 7
Action 4: Strike: Head Lasers: 1d20+2: [11]+2 = 13 , Damage – MDC (4D4): 4d4: [3, 1, 1, 3] = 8
Action 5: Strike: Head Lasers: 1d20+2: [6]+2 = 8 , Damage – MDC (4D4): 4d4: [2, 2, 3, 4] = 11
Action 6: Strike: Head Lasers: 1d20+2: [8]+2 = 10 , Damage – MDC (4D4): 4d4: [1, 4, 4, 3] = 12

Parries/Dodges
Parries (+1 included): 1d20+1: [3]+1 = 4 , 1d20+1: [15]+1 = 16 , 1d20+1: [17]+1 = 18 , 1d20+1: [15]+1 = 16 , 1d20+1: [2]+1 = 3
Dodges (+4 included): 1d20+4: [19]+4 = 23 , 1d20+4: [20]+4 = 24 , 1d20+4: [8]+4 = 12 , 1d20+4: [17]+4 = 21 , 1d20+4: [11]+4 = 15

Nora:
Initiative
Initiative: 1d20: 1d20: [3] = 3

Actions performed not necessarily in this order

Action 1: Reserved for Dodge
Action 2: Strike: Head Lasers: 1d20+2: [7]+2 = 9 , Damage – MDC (4D4): 4d4: [1, 1, 1, 1] = 4
Action 3: Strike: Head Lasers: 1d20+2: [2]+2 = 4 , Damage – MDC (4D4): 4d4: [4, 2, 4, 1] = 11
Action 4: Strike: Head Lasers: 1d20+2: [14]+2 = 16 , Damage – MDC (4D4): 4d4: [3, 2, 1, 2] = 8
Action 5: Strike: Head Lasers: 1d20+2: [14]+2 = 16 , Damage – MDC (4D4): 4d4: [1, 4, 1, 1] = 7
Action 6: Strike: Head Lasers: 1d20+2: [12]+2 = 14 , Damage – MDC (4D4): 4d4: [3, 3, 3, 4] = 13

Parries/Dodges
Parries (+1 included): 1d20+1: [4]+1 = 5 , 1d20+1: [4]+1 = 5 , 1d20+1: [19]+1 = 20 , 1d20+1: [16]+1 = 17 , 1d20+1: [20]+1 = 21
Dodges (+4 included): 1d20+4: [8]+4 = 12 , 1d20+4: [8]+4 = 12 , 1d20+4: [13]+4 = 17 , 1d20+4: [14]+4 = 18 , 1d20+4: [2]+4 = 6

With Rifle
Initiative: 1d20+4: 1d20+4: [8]+4 = 12

Actions performed not necessarily in this order

Action 1: Reserved for Dodge/vehicle maneuver
Action 2: Reserved for Dodge/vehicle maneuver
Action 3: Strike: Rifle 1d20+9: [3]+9 = 12 , Damage - SDC (5D6): 5d6: [1, 4, 3, 1, 2] = 11 , Damage - MDC (3D6): 3d6: [2, 6, 5] = 13
Action 4: Strike: Rifle 1d20+9: [4]+9 = 13 , Damage - SDC (5D6): 5d6: [1, 2, 4, 2, 1] = 10 , Damage - MDC (3D6): 3d6: [5, 5, 6] = 16
Action 5: Strike: Rifle 1d20+9: [1]+9 = 10 , Damage - SDC (5D6): 5d6: [2, 4, 3, 3, 1] = 13 , Damage - MDC (3D6): 3d6: [3, 4, 2] = 9
Action 6: Strike: Rifle 1d20+9: [2]+9 = 11 , Damage - SDC (5D6): 5d6: [2, 2, 6, 6, 6] = 22 , Damage - MDC (3D6): 3d6: [4, 6, 2] = 12



Parries (+8 included): 1d20+8: [19]+8 = 27 , 1d20+8: [20]+8 = 28 , 1d20+8: [13]+8 = 21 , 1d20+8: [9]+8 = 17 , 1d20+8: [4]+8 = 12
Dodges (+9 included): 1d20+9: [9]+9 = 18 , 1d20+9: [18]+9 = 27 , 1d20+9: [1]+9 = 10 , 1d20+9: [2]+9 = 11 , 1d20+9: [15]+9 = 24
User avatar
Myth and Jest
Dimension Master
Posts: 83
Joined: Mon Nov 28, 2022 10:42 am
Location: Chaos Earth DM

Re: Hold Back the Night. Chapter 2

Post by Myth and Jest »

11:23 - 28 December – Evansville / Crash Site

Gomez’s eyes burn with anger when Marconi mentions he caused the sudden uncontrollable speed. She moves her hand to the grip of her pistol. “Listen, kid, I brought you along because Falcon vouched for you, and you proved you’re tough by surviving a shit mission, but if you’re purposely endangering my mission, I will put you down and bury your body under this forsaken ash.” Her voice becomes a low growl towards the end of her statement. She looks suspiciously at Marconi before spitting on the ground and donning her helmet.

At that moment, Nora jogs up to the craft and stops. A message pings Marconi. <-- How may Unit: Nora assist? -->

Evansville / Alien Territory

Xyria’s eyes widened with fear, and the color drained from her face when Falcon removed his helmet to show his skin. “A Taker!” She says with a quiet gasp before she faints and slumps to the frozen ground.
Liam Marconi
Posts: 78
Joined: Mon Dec 05, 2022 8:21 am

Re: Hold Back the Night. Chapter 2

Post by Liam Marconi »

Perception (24%): 1d100: [18] = 18
JIC (d20/d%): 1d20: [15] = 15 / 1d100: [44] = 44

Liam says, trying to keep his own temper, "If and when I learn how do do these things deliberately, then you might have a right to be mad. As it is, I just try to be glad that whatever happens is usually helpful. Now if you would rather we were hit directly by the missile or did not know the power surge was coming, then you can regret bringing me. As it is, looks to me like I have been more help than harm so far."

He can understand, Gomez is hurt. She is worried about her daughter. This situation puts a lot of pressure on both of them.

When Nora arrives, he says, "Your call Sargent, shall we go find Falcon and your daughter, or sit here placing blame?"
User avatar
Falcon
Posts: 60
Joined: Thu Dec 29, 2022 1:13 pm

Re: Hold Back the Night. Chapter 2

Post by Falcon »

Perception: 18% / 1d100: [77] = 77
JIC: 1d20: [6] = 6 / 1d100: [26] = 26
+2 v HF, +2 v Lethal/Non-lethal Toxins, +6% vs Coma/Death, +2 vs Magic, +2 vs Insanity, +2 vs Psionics
M&J wrote: Xyria’s eyes widened with fear, and the color drained from her face when Falcon removed his helmet to show his skin. “A Taker!” She says with a quiet gasp before she faints and slumps to the frozen ground.
Falcon drops his helmet as he lunges to catch Xyria and keep her head from hitting the ground. Well shoot!! That was not what I expected.

He looks to the entrance and whispers to Rex. ”Watch the door boy, but don’t get close enough to be seen.”

Invoke Trust/Intimidate: 25% 1d100: [66] = 66
First Aid: 50% 1d100: [73] = 73

Falcon cradles Xyria’s head in his lap and attempts to check her for injuries. I know she is not ‘human’, but she has eyes, ears, two arms and two legs. There may be more shared physiology.

As he does this Falcon continues to repeat quietly, ”Xyria, Xyria, wake up. I’m not going to hurt you.”



In case of violence: Initiative +4 (+5 w/rifles)
Initiative: 1d20+4: 1d20+4: [18]+4 = 22

Actions performed not necessarily in this order

Action 1: Reserved for Dodge/vehicle maneuver
Action 2: Reserved for Dodge/vehicle maneuver
Action 3: Strike: Rifle 1d20+9: [10]+9 = 19 , Damage - SDC (5D6): 5d6: [5, 5, 3, 5, 2] = 20 , Damage - MDC (3D6): 3d6: [5, 6, 5] = 16
Action 4: Strike: Rifle 1d20+9: [5]+9 = 14 , Damage - SDC (5D6): 5d6: [3, 4, 2, 2, 1] = 12 , Damage - MDC (3D6): 3d6: [1, 2, 6] = 9
Action 5: Strike: Rifle 1d20+9: [1]+9 = 10 , Damage - SDC (5D6): 5d6: [3, 5, 2, 6, 4] = 20 , Damage - MDC (3D6): 3d6: [6, 4, 3] = 13
Action 6: Strike: Rifle 1d20+9: [11]+9 = 20 , Damage - SDC (5D6): 5d6: [6, 3, 5, 6, 6] = 26 , Damage - MDC (3D6): 3d6: [2, 6, 1] = 9

Parries (+8 included): 1d20+8: [20]+8 = 28 , 1d20+8: [4]+8 = 12 , 1d20+8: [10]+8 = 18 , 1d20+8: [13]+8 = 21 , 1d20+8: [5]+8 = 13
Dodges (+9 included): 1d20+9: [17]+9 = 26 , 1d20+9: [11]+9 = 20 , 1d20+9: [12]+9 = 21 , 1d20+9: [10]+9 = 19 , 1d20+9: [20]+9 = 29

Rex:
Initiative
Initiative: 1d20: 1d20: [11] = 11

Actions performed not necessarily in this order

Action 1: Reserved for Dodge
Action 2: Strike: Head Lasers: 1d20+2: [1]+2 = 3 , Damage – MDC (4D4): 4d4: [2, 4, 3, 2] = 11
Action 3: Strike: Head Lasers: 1d20+2: [12]+2 = 14 , Damage – MDC (4D4): 4d4: [1, 3, 2, 4] = 10
Action 4: Strike: Head Lasers: 1d20+2: [20]+2 = 22 , Damage – MDC (4D4): 4d4: [1, 4, 2, 2] = 9
Action 5: Strike: Head Lasers: 1d20+2: [11]+2 = 13 , Damage – MDC (4D4): 4d4: [1, 4, 3, 4] = 12
Action 6: Strike: Head Lasers: 1d20+2: [19]+2 = 21 , Damage – MDC (4D4): 4d4: [3, 1, 1, 1] = 6

Parries/Dodges
Parries (+1 included): 1d20+1: [5]+1 = 6 , 1d20+1: [3]+1 = 4 , 1d20+1: [7]+1 = 8 , 1d20+1: [3]+1 = 4 , 1d20+1: [5]+1 = 6
Dodges (+4 included): 1d20+4: [7]+4 = 11 , 1d20+4: [18]+4 = 22 , 1d20+4: [7]+4 = 11 , 1d20+4: [3]+4 = 7 , 1d20+4: [10]+4 = 14

Nora:
Initiative
Initiative: 1d20: 1d20: [8] = 8

Actions performed not necessarily in this order

Action 1: Reserved for Dodge
Action 2: Strike: Head Lasers: 1d20+2: [8]+2 = 10 , Damage – MDC (4D4): 4d4: [2, 2, 2, 2] = 8
Action 3: Strike: Head Lasers: 1d20+2: [12]+2 = 14 , Damage – MDC (4D4): 4d4: [4, 1, 2, 2] = 9
Action 4: Strike: Head Lasers: 1d20+2: [19]+2 = 21 , Damage – MDC (4D4): 4d4: [4, 4, 2, 4] = 14
Action 5: Strike: Head Lasers: 1d20+2: [16]+2 = 18 , Damage – MDC (4D4): 4d4: [1, 1, 4, 1] = 7
Action 6: Strike: Head Lasers: 1d20+2: [2]+2 = 4 , Damage – MDC (4D4): 4d4: [1, 3, 1, 3] = 8

Parries/Dodges
Parries (+1 included): 1d20+1: [12]+1 = 13 , 1d20+1: [2]+1 = 3 , 1d20+1: [2]+1 = 3 , 1d20+1: [9]+1 = 10 , 1d20+1: [3]+1 = 4
Dodges (+4 included): 1d20+4: [12]+4 = 16 , 1d20+4: [9]+4 = 13 , 1d20+4: [4]+4 = 8 , 1d20+4: [2]+4 = 6 , 1d20+4: [16]+4 = 20
User avatar
Myth and Jest
Dimension Master
Posts: 83
Joined: Mon Nov 28, 2022 10:42 am
Location: Chaos Earth DM

Re: Hold Back the Night. Chapter 2

Post by Myth and Jest »

11:30 - 28 December – Evansville / Crash Site

Sergeant Gomez stares at Marconi with suspicion after his reply. “So you say.” She turns to Nora and gestures her forward. “Nora, lead the way. Take us to Falcon.”

Evansville / Alien Territory

Rex crouches down and focuses on the doorway.

Falcon checks Xyria over, but his human medical training doesn’t match up with her species. However, her symptoms appear similar to a human fainting. She should recover momentarily.
As Falcon mentions he won’t hurt her, he receives an alert from Rex.

<- ALERT: Motion Detected. All Directions. ->

A shout of alarm rings through the stillness, and several figures emerge from the surrounding ruins and the alien building. They encircle Falcon and Xyria from several yards away. A more petite figure, a woman of the same species, shouts Xyria’s name with dismay and tries to rush out before another more prominent figure pulls her back as she struggles. The figure hands the woman off and steps towards Falcon. The man removes his hood, revealing the same alien feature, and shouts something in Xyria’s strange tongue, but no voice emerges in Falcon’s head to translate. However, the surrounding figures train their rifles at Falcon.

Evansville / Alien Territory within Ley Line Range of 100 yards.

Nora’s warning pings Marconi and Gomez’s HUD as they near Falcon’s position.

<- WARNING. Unknown/Possible Threats Ahead. ->

They come out to an open courtyard-like space in front of an alien building on the opposite side and ruined Earth buildings enclosing around the other directions. They can see Falcon surrounded by six figures at various distances pointing their weapons at Falcon, and the figures have yet to spot them. Falcon appears to cradle a small figure on the ground, but any distinguishable features are blocked from view.
OOC Comments
Please roll for stealth or some similar skill if that is what you intend to do.
Liam Marconi
Posts: 78
Joined: Mon Dec 05, 2022 8:21 am

Re: Hold Back the Night. Chapter 2

Post by Liam Marconi »

Perception (48% - Blue Zone): 1d100: [7] = 7
JIC (d20/d%): 1d20: [13] = 13 / 1d100: [14] = 14

Nora warns of motion around Falcon, and then of possible hostiles. The six figure surrounding Falcon are visible easily enough.

Basic Possibilities:
1) If Marconi sees that the six figures are holding Rifles on Falcon, but nothing more, he will call over radio, "Falcon, we have you in sight, we will prepare for an ambush on your signal."

And then we will attempt to use stealth and find a firing position.

Stealth (Lack the skill, not sure what to roll): 1d100: [28] = 28
Radio Basic (65%): 1d100: [96] = 96

2) If Marconi sees the situation in more detail, they blue child collapsed, the possible mother being restrained, he will have some estimate of the situation and suggest, "See the child collapsed near Falcon? They may think he attacked her. We seem to have a number of choices here. First we could set up an ambush and prep to back Falcon's play. Second, we could come in openly and friendly. Third, we do like we did at the church, I go in alone unarmed and see if they are hostile...like me or hate me I am the most likely to survive that trick. Fourth, we could use the distraction Falcon is providing to search the area for your daughter and trust Falcon to handle himself."
User avatar
Falcon
Posts: 60
Joined: Thu Dec 29, 2022 1:13 pm

Re: Hold Back the Night. Chapter 2

Post by Falcon »

Perception: 18% / 1d100: [35] = 35
JIC: 1d20: [18] = 18 / 1d100: [61] = 61
+2 v HF, +2 v Lethal/Non-lethal Toxins, +6% vs Coma/Death, +2 vs Magic, +2 vs Insanity, +2 vs Psionics
Invoke Trust/Intimidate: 25% 1d100: [44] = 44
M&J wrote: A shout of alarm rings through the stillness, and several figures emerge from the surrounding ruins and the alien building. They encircle Falcon and Xyria from several yards away. A more petite figure, a woman of the same species, shouts Xyria’s name with dismay and tries to rush out before another more prominent figure pulls her back as she struggles. The figure hands the woman off and steps towards Falcon. The man removes his hood, revealing the same alien feature, and shouts something in Xyria’s strange tongue, but no voice emerges in Falcon’s head to translate. However, the surrounding figures train their rifles at Falcon.
Marconi wrote: he will call over radio, "Falcon, we have you in sight, we will prepare for an ambush on your signal."
Falcon holds his left hand out towards the woman palm up, in a calming or welcoming gesture. When they pull her back, he makes sure Xyria’s head is secure on his lap All I need is for them to see me drop her on the ground. and raises both hands.

As he speaks he looks around to see if he can determine the type of weapons they have. He has no fear of SDC weapons in his armor Except for the helmet at my side. Hopefully they were taught to shoot center mass and not at my head.

Hearing Marconi’s transmission he nods slightly and waves his hands a bit. Then addresses the crowd in a loud voice, hoping Nora and Marconi can pick it up. I’m afraid I don’t know what you are saying. Xyria was able to translate for me some how. I did not hurt her and will not hurt you if you don’t threaten me. I think she fainted, but don’t know enough about you to tell. Perhaps we can help each other.


In case of violence: Initiative +4 (+5 w/rifles)
Initiative: 1d20+4: 1d20+4: [9]+4 = 13

Actions performed not necessarily in this order

Action 1: Reserved for Dodge/vehicle maneuver
Action 2: Reserved for Dodge/vehicle maneuver
Action 3: Strike: Rifle 1d20+9: [8]+9 = 17 , Damage - SDC (5D6): 5d6: [2, 1, 4, 2, 2] = 11 , Damage - MDC (3D6): 3d6: [4, 4, 1] = 9
Action 4: Strike: Rifle 1d20+9: [2]+9 = 11 , Damage - SDC (5D6): 5d6: [1, 2, 2, 1, 4] = 10 , Damage - MDC (3D6): 3d6: [2, 6, 1] = 9
Action 5: Strike: Rifle 1d20+9: [4]+9 = 13 , Damage - SDC (5D6): 5d6: [5, 5, 2, 5, 3] = 20 , Damage - MDC (3D6): 3d6: [4, 5, 6] = 15
Action 6: Strike: Rifle 1d20+9: [13]+9 = 22 , Damage - SDC (5D6): 5d6: [4, 1, 4, 4, 6] = 19 , Damage - MDC (3D6): 3d6: [2, 2, 4] = 8

Parries (+8 included): 1d20+8: [7]+8 = 15 , 1d20+8: [18]+8 = 26 , 1d20+8: [3]+8 = 11 , 1d20+8: [16]+8 = 24 , 1d20+8: [6]+8 = 14
Dodges (+9 included): 1d20+9: [14]+9 = 23 , 1d20+9: [6]+9 = 15 , 1d20+9: [11]+9 = 20 , 1d20+9: [7]+9 = 16 , 1d20+9: [19]+9 = 28

Rex:
Initiative
Initiative: 1d20: 1d20: [15] = 15

Actions performed not necessarily in this order

Action 1: Reserved for Dodge
Action 2: Strike: Head Lasers: 1d20+2: [20]+2 = 22 , Damage – MDC (4D4): 4d4: [4, 3, 2, 4] = 13
Action 3: Strike: Head Lasers: 1d20+2: [12]+2 = 14 , Damage – MDC (4D4): 4d4: [2, 1, 3, 4] = 10
Action 4: Strike: Head Lasers: 1d20+2: [11]+2 = 13 , Damage – MDC (4D4): 4d4: [3, 4, 2, 2] = 11
Action 5: Strike: Head Lasers: 1d20+2: [6]+2 = 8 , Damage – MDC (4D4): 4d4: [4, 3, 1, 3] = 11
Action 6: Strike: Head Lasers: 1d20+2: [5]+2 = 7 , Damage – MDC (4D4): 4d4: [1, 3, 4, 1] = 9

Parries/Dodges
Parries (+1 included): 1d20+1: [8]+1 = 9 , 1d20+1: [8]+1 = 9 , 1d20+1: [15]+1 = 16 , 1d20+1: [5]+1 = 6 , 1d20+1: [8]+1 = 9
Dodges (+4 included): 1d20+4: [12]+4 = 16 , 1d20+4: [20]+4 = 24 , 1d20+4: [17]+4 = 21 , 1d20+4: [13]+4 = 17 , 1d20+4: [13]+4 = 17

Nora:
Initiative
Initiative: 1d20: 1d20: [9] = 9

Actions performed not necessarily in this order

Action 1: Reserved for Dodge
Action 2: Strike: Head Lasers: 1d20+2: [7]+2 = 9 , Damage – MDC (4D4): 4d4: [3, 2, 3, 3] = 11
Action 3: Strike: Head Lasers: 1d20+2: [5]+2 = 7 , Damage – MDC (4D4): 4d4: [3, 1, 3, 4] = 11
Action 4: Strike: Head Lasers: 1d20+2: [16]+2 = 18 , Damage – MDC (4D4): 4d4: [3, 1, 1, 3] = 8
Action 5: Strike: Head Lasers: 1d20+2: [5]+2 = 7 , Damage – MDC (4D4): 4d4: [1, 4, 3, 1] = 9
Action 6: Strike: Head Lasers: 1d20+2: [2]+2 = 4 , Damage – MDC (4D4): 4d4: [1, 1, 2, 2] = 6

Parries/Dodges
Parries (+1 included): 1d20+1: [6]+1 = 7 , 1d20+1: [12]+1 = 13 , 1d20+1: [2]+1 = 3 , 1d20+1: [5]+1 = 6 , 1d20+1: [17]+1 = 18
Dodges (+4 included): 1d20+4: [13]+4 = 17 , 1d20+4: [6]+4 = 10 , 1d20+4: [17]+4 = 21 , 1d20+4: [5]+4 = 9 , 1d20+4: [12]+4 = 16
User avatar
Myth and Jest
Dimension Master
Posts: 83
Joined: Mon Nov 28, 2022 10:42 am
Location: Chaos Earth DM

Re: Hold Back the Night. Chapter 2

Post by Myth and Jest »

11:32 - 28 December – Evansville / Alien Territory

Sergeant Gomez considers Marconi’s suggestions before making a decision. “We’ll remain hidden for now and cover Falcon. Set up a crossfire position to my left, behind cover. Unless they have heavier weapons, Falcon will be fine... Besides, his skull is thick enough to take a shot or two."
“Falcon, we’ll follow your lead.”

**************

The aliens seem confused by Falcon’s words until he mentions Xyria’s name. The mother converses rapidly with the leader, appearing to argue, and gestures franticly towards Xyria and Falcon. Their voices raise in volume until the leader barks an order, and another figure tries to pull the woman back again. The remaining followers focus back at Falcon in an aggressive posture, but before the woman is grabbed, she jerks around, kicks the figure hard in the crotch, and darts towards Falcon. The leader reaches out to grab her, but she dodges aside and rushes to Xyria, scooping the child into her arms. Falcon feels the tension rise as every set of quadruple eyes focuses on him. The only sound is the wind and the loud groans from the figure clutching his crotch on the ground.
Liam Marconi
Posts: 78
Joined: Mon Dec 05, 2022 8:21 am

Re: Hold Back the Night. Chapter 2

Post by Liam Marconi »

Perception (48% - Blue Zone): 1d100: [51] = 51
JIC (d20/D%): 1d20: [8] = 8 / 1d100: [14] = 14

Liam attempts to follow orders, moving around in a half-circle around Falcon's position. He sees the scuffle and the one alien rush forward unarmed he slips and almost falls headlong into a pile of rubble...but somehow avoids the falling part. He sits there a few inches above the the ground before cautiously flying along the path he had planned. At least he will not have to worry about tripping and making a lot of noise from hitting the ground.

Stealth: 1d100: [2] = 2

Once he reaches what looks like a good spot, he cautiously puts his feet back onto the ground and takes aim at one of the others, ready to act if so ordered. He calls to Gomez, "In position"

He tells himself, If I have time, I need to see if I can duplicate the effects I already achieved.
User avatar
Falcon
Posts: 60
Joined: Thu Dec 29, 2022 1:13 pm

Re: Hold Back the Night. Chapter 2

Post by Falcon »

Perception: 18% / 1d100: [64] = 64
JIC: 1d20: [12] = 12 / 1d100: [51] = 51
+2 v HF, +2 v Lethal/Non-lethal Toxins, +6% vs Coma/Death, +2 vs Magic, +2 vs Insanity, +2 vs Psionics
M&J wrote: she jerks around, kicks the figure hard in the crotch, and darts towards Falcon. The leader reaches out to grab her, but she dodges aside and rushes to Xyria, scooping the child into her arms. Falcon feels the tension rise as every set of quadruple eyes focuses on him.
Falcon focuses on the woman as she approaches. Willing himself to give off an aura of peace. He holds his hands wider, palms open and towards the woman. She is a fighter with balls. Might have the other’s now too. Xyria is lucky. He nods to her as she gently takes Xyria.

”You have my respect. Care for her as she showed me compassion. I know your pain. I have come searching for a child myself. One that was taken from nearby."




In case of violence: Initiative +4 (+5 w/rifles)
Initiative: 1d20+4: 1d20+4: [2]+4 = 6

Actions performed not necessarily in this order

Action 1: Reserved for Dodge/vehicle maneuver
Action 2: Reserved for Dodge/vehicle maneuver
Action 3: Strike: Optics Visor 1d20+2: [7]+2 = 9 , Damage - MDC (2D6): 2d6: [1, 3] = 4
Action 4: Strike: Optics Visor 1d20+2: [6]+2 = 8 , Damage - MDC (2D6): 2d6: [3, 1] = 4
Action 5: Strike: Optics Visor 1d20+2: [20]+2 = 22 , Damage - MDC (2D6): 2d6: [6, 1] = 7
Action 6: Strike: Optics Visor 1d20+2: [17]+2 = 19 , Damage - MDC (2D6): 2d6: [1, 3] = 4


Parries (+8 included): 1d20+8: [10]+8 = 18 , 1d20+8: [5]+8 = 13 , 1d20+8: [7]+8 = 15 , 1d20+8: [2]+8 = 10 , 1d20+8: [14]+8 = 22
Dodges (+9 included): 1d20+9: [18]+9 = 27 , 1d20+9: [12]+9 = 21 , 1d20+9: [2]+9 = 11 , 1d20+9: [17]+9 = 26 , 1d20+9: [12]+9 = 21

Rex:
Initiative
Initiative: 1d20: 1d20: [17] = 17

Actions performed not necessarily in this order

Action 1: Reserved for Dodge
Action 2: Strike: Head Lasers: 1d20+2: [4]+2 = 6 , Damage – MDC (4D4): 4d4: [1, 3, 3, 1] = 8
Action 3: Strike: Head Lasers: 1d20+2: [17]+2 = 19 , Damage – MDC (4D4): 4d4: [2, 1, 2, 4] = 9
Action 4: Strike: Head Lasers: 1d20+2: [19]+2 = 21 , Damage – MDC (4D4): 4d4: [2, 2, 3, 4] = 11
Action 5: Strike: Head Lasers: 1d20+2: [1]+2 = 3 , Damage – MDC (4D4): 4d4: [1, 1, 3, 4] = 9
Action 6: Strike: Head Lasers: 1d20+2: [2]+2 = 4 , Damage – MDC (4D4): 4d4: [3, 1, 4, 4] = 12

Parries/Dodges
Parries (+1 included): 1d20+1: [13]+1 = 14 , 1d20+1: [3]+1 = 4 , 1d20+1: [2]+1 = 3 , 1d20+1: [9]+1 = 10 , 1d20+1: [9]+1 = 10
Dodges (+4 included): 1d20+4: [15]+4 = 19 , 1d20+4: [15]+4 = 19 , 1d20+4: [8]+4 = 12 , 1d20+4: [5]+4 = 9 , 1d20+4: [18]+4 = 22

Nora:
Initiative
Initiative: 1d20: 1d20: [7] = 7

Actions performed not necessarily in this order

Action 1: Reserved for Dodge
Action 2: Strike: Head Lasers: 1d20+2: [18]+2 = 20 , Damage – MDC (4D4): 4d4: [1, 1, 2, 4] = 8
Action 3: Strike: Head Lasers: 1d20+2: [15]+2 = 17 , Damage – MDC (4D4): 4d4: [4, 3, 3, 4] = 14
Action 4: Strike: Head Lasers: 1d20+2: [10]+2 = 12 , Damage – MDC (4D4): 4d4: [1, 3, 2, 4] = 10
Action 5: Strike: Head Lasers: 1d20+2: [15]+2 = 17 , Damage – MDC (4D4): 4d4: [1, 3, 4, 1] = 9
Action 6: Strike: Head Lasers: 1d20+2: [15]+2 = 17 , Damage – MDC (4D4): 4d4: [3, 3, 1, 3] = 10

Parries/Dodges
Parries (+1 included): 1d20+1: [13]+1 = 14 , 1d20+1: [20]+1 = 21 , 1d20+1: [12]+1 = 13 , 1d20+1: [20]+1 = 21 , 1d20+1: [8]+1 = 9
Dodges (+4 included): 1d20+4: [11]+4 = 15 , 1d20+4: [18]+4 = 22 , 1d20+4: [2]+4 = 6 , 1d20+4: [15]+4 = 19 , 1d20+4: [7]+4 = 11
User avatar
Myth and Jest
Dimension Master
Posts: 83
Joined: Mon Nov 28, 2022 10:42 am
Location: Chaos Earth DM

Re: Hold Back the Night. Chapter 2

Post by Myth and Jest »

11:33 - 28 December – Evansville / Alien Territory

Xryia wakes as her mother grabs her and looks puzzled momentarily before gazing at Falcon. Falcon mentions searching for a child, and Xyria repeats what he said to her mother. The mother seems shocked at first, blinks slowly in confusion, and replies. Xyria’s words translate in Falcon’s mind.

“We are not the Takers of your child. The others, like you but without metal, are the Takers of our kind. We don’t know why they have taken many of us since the River brought us here. If you don’t believe us, check our housing. You will only find us few. We tried to save our people, but you stopped us on your flying machine. Why?”

****

From his better position, Marconi notices the alien features of Xyria and her mother. As he views the surroundings, he sees a giant humanoid figure sneaking up behind Gomez from the corner of his vision. The figure draws closer, and Marconi sees a man-like figure standing over seven feet tall, wearing high-tech armor and wielding an enormous broadsword, but instead of a face, a burning red skull emitting an eerie light. As it approaches behind Gomez, the Sergeant reacts with swift movement, turns, brings her rifle to bear, and fires. The rounds ping off the creature’s chest plate. Gomez’s voice cracks over the radio. “Hostile within Close Proximity. Normal rounds have no effect. Switching to M.D. setting!”
Liam Marconi
Posts: 78
Joined: Mon Dec 05, 2022 8:21 am

Re: Hold Back the Night. Chapter 2

Post by Liam Marconi »

Perception (48%, Blue Zone): 1d100: [43] = 43
JIC (d20/d100): 1d20: [7] = 7 / 1d100: [97] = 97

Liam wonders whether that is some form of strange creature from beyond, or if it is some kind of disguise, a hologram perhaps, intended to frighten enemies. As he wonders he feels his senses expand, letting him feel...something...

It does not matter what he is sensing, the thing is attacking his team members, so he brings up his rifle and fires. If he hits and damages the enemy, he will keep firing. If he misses, he will try again.

If he hits, but the shot appears to do no damage, he will become desperate. He will think, There has to be SOMETHING, I can do. I can raise a wall of trash and make a hovercraft run faster than its rated speed. Let's CUT LOOSE. He will simply let the energy around him flow through him and channel it at the creature (Using Fire Energy Bolt at maximum strength.)

It says the blast can be done at will, but I assume after the ambient energy for the round is used up, that he will have to pay any remaining PPE from his reserves.

Combat details: 5 actions, no bonus to strike with laser rifle, 2d6 MDC damage, +3 Parry, +3 Dodge...Energy Bolt +2 strike, variable damage
Action 1) Use Sense Supernatural beings and demon (does not use an action), attack with Laser 1d20: [18] = 18 , damage 2d6: [3, 2] = 5 MDC
Action 2) Assuming I hit and do damage (or miss), continue attack with laser 1d20: [15] = 15 , damage 2d6: [5, 5] = 10 mdc
Action 2a) Assuming I hit but the laser does no damage. Energy Bolt (uses 10 PPE from ambient) 1d20+2: [19]+2 = 21 damage 3d6: [4, 2, 6] = 12 MDC
Action 3) (Rifle works) Attack with Laser 1d20: [19] = 19 , laser damage 2d6: [5, 5] = 10
Action 3a) (Rifle fails to work) Energy Bolt: 1d20+2: [16]+2 = 18 , Damage: 3d6: [6, 3, 3] = 12
Action 4) (Same) Attack with Laser 1d20: [14] = 14 , Laser Damage: 2d6: [6, 3] = 9
Action 4a) Energy Bolt: 1d20+2: [9]+2 = 11 , Damage: 3d6: [3, 2, 2] = 7
Action 5) Reserved for dodge : 1d20+3: [19]+3 = 22

I do not expect any melee attacks incoming, but in case I am wrong: Parry 1d20+3: [11]+3 = 14 , Parry 1d20+3: [8]+3 = 11
User avatar
Falcon
Posts: 60
Joined: Thu Dec 29, 2022 1:13 pm

Re: Hold Back the Night. Chapter 2

Post by Falcon »

Perception: 18% / 1d100: [30] = 30
JIC: 1d20: [13] = 13 / 1d100: [32] = 32
+2 v HF, +2 v Lethal/Non-lethal Toxins, +6% vs Coma/Death, +2 vs Magic, +2 vs Insanity, +2 vs Psionics
M&J wrote: “We are not the Takers of your child. The others, like you but without metal, are the Takers of our kind. We don’t know why they have taken many of us since the River brought us here. If you don’t believe us, check our housing. You will only find us few. We tried to save our people, but you stopped us on your flying machine. Why?”
Falcon looks down for a bit soaking this in. Of course we made an assumption and got burned.

"Xryia. The daughter of one of my companions, the child I am speaking of, was in that building. We saw your people assaulting the building and acted to defend her, like those here pointing weapons at me when they saw you in my arms. We may have been wrong."
M&J wrote: he sees a giant humanoid figure sneaking up behind Gomez from the corner of his vision. The figure draws closer, and Marconi sees a man-like figure standing over seven feet tall, wearing high-tech armor and wielding an enormous broadsword, but instead of a face, a burning red skull emitting an eerie light. As it approaches behind Gomez, the Sergeant reacts with swift movement, turns, brings her rifle to bear, and fires. The rounds ping off the creature’s chest plate. Gomez’s voice cracks over the radio. “Hostile within Close Proximity. Normal rounds have no effect. Switching to M.D. setting!”
Gomez tries to hide it behind military professionalism, but Falcon can hear the fear in her voice. His HUD shows her direction and several things start to happen at once. As he begins to stand and turn towards Gomez he reaches for his slung rifle. ”Xryia, get your people to safety. Rex, stay with her until contacted.” And be a way to find them and figure out what is going on.

Falcon realizes as he turns he will not have enough time to get his rifle to bear, but continues to bring it to a firing position. Once he has turned, he opens up with his visor lasers on the first unfriendly (neither his team or the blue, four eyed creatures, he sees. As he does this he thinks of the helmet strapped to his waist. Crap, I need more hands.



In case of violence: Initiative +4 (+5 w/rifles)
Initiative: 1d20+4: 1d20+4: [6]+4 = 10

Actions performed not necessarily in this order

Action 1: Turning and drawing rifle
Action 2: Reserved for Dodge/vehicle maneuver
Action 3: Reserved for Dodge/vehicle maneuver
Action 4: Strike: Visor 1d20+2: [13]+2 = 15 , Damage - MDC (2D6): 2d6: [3, 4] = 7
Action 5: Strike: Visor 1d20+2: [10]+2 = 12 , Damage - MDC (2D6): 2d6: [1, 5] = 6

Parries (+8 included): 1d20+8: [11]+8 = 19 , 1d20+8: [2]+8 = 10 , 1d20+8: [9]+8 = 17 , 1d20+8: [18]+8 = 26 , 1d20+8: [19]+8 = 27
Dodges (+9 included): 1d20+9: [16]+9 = 25 , 1d20+9: [9]+9 = 18 , 1d20+9: [17]+9 = 26 , 1d20+9: [9]+9 = 18 , 1d20+9: [1]+9 = 10

Rex:
Initiative
Initiative: 1d20: 1d20: [12] = 12

Actions performed not necessarily in this order

Action 1: Reserved for Dodge
Action 2: Strike: Head Lasers: 1d20+2: [3]+2 = 5 , Damage – MDC (4D4): 4d4: [1, 2, 3, 4] = 10
Action 3: Strike: Head Lasers: 1d20+2: [13]+2 = 15 , Damage – MDC (4D4): 4d4: [3, 3, 3, 4] = 13
Action 4: Strike: Head Lasers: 1d20+2: [6]+2 = 8 , Damage – MDC (4D4): 4d4: [2, 2, 2, 2] = 8
Action 5: Strike: Head Lasers: 1d20+2: [7]+2 = 9 , Damage – MDC (4D4): 4d4: [2, 2, 1, 3] = 8
Action 6: Strike: Head Lasers: 1d20+2: [11]+2 = 13 , Damage – MDC (4D4): 4d4: [3, 4, 2, 2] = 11

Parries/Dodges
Parries (+1 included): 1d20+1: [14]+1 = 15 , 1d20+1: [12]+1 = 13 , 1d20+1: [11]+1 = 12 , 1d20+1: [6]+1 = 7 , 1d20+1: [3]+1 = 4
Dodges (+4 included): 1d20+4: [15]+4 = 19 , 1d20+4: [5]+4 = 9 , 1d20+4: [19]+4 = 23 , 1d20+4: [2]+4 = 6 , 1d20+4: [20]+4 = 24

Nora:
Initiative
Initiative: 1d20: 1d20: [16] = 16

Actions performed not necessarily in this order

Action 1: Reserved for Dodge
Action 2: Strike: Head Lasers: 1d20+2: [19]+2 = 21 , Damage – MDC (4D4): 4d4: [1, 3, 2, 2] = 8
Action 3: Strike: Head Lasers: 1d20+2: [1]+2 = 3 , Damage – MDC (4D4): 4d4: [1, 1, 2, 2] = 6
Action 4: Strike: Head Lasers: 1d20+2: [9]+2 = 11 , Damage – MDC (4D4): 4d4: [3, 1, 2, 1] = 7
Action 5: Strike: Head Lasers: 1d20+2: [20]+2 = 22 , Damage – MDC (4D4): 4d4: [4, 1, 4, 2] = 11
Action 6: Strike: Head Lasers: 1d20+2: [5]+2 = 7 , Damage – MDC (4D4): 4d4: [2, 1, 3, 3] = 9

Parries/Dodges
Parries (+1 included): 1d20+1: [8]+1 = 9 , 1d20+1: [10]+1 = 11 , 1d20+1: [1]+1 = 2 , 1d20+1: [5]+1 = 6 , 1d20+1: [16]+1 = 17
Dodges (+4 included): 1d20+4: [20]+4 = 24 , 1d20+4: [9]+4 = 13 , 1d20+4: [4]+4 = 8 , 1d20+4: [11]+4 = 15 , 1d20+4: [6]+4 = 10
User avatar
Myth and Jest
Dimension Master
Posts: 83
Joined: Mon Nov 28, 2022 10:42 am
Location: Chaos Earth DM

Re: Hold Back the Night. Chapter 2

Post by Myth and Jest »

11:33 - 28 December – Evansville / Alien Territory

Marconi opens his mind and extends his senses toward the giant figure, and a black wall overwhelms him with horror and disgust. It’s as if maggots are tearing through his brain, and the sweetly sour smell of rotting flesh fills his lungs from his own body. Revulsion grips him in a moment of confusion and panic as he watches Gomez duck under a swing from the creature’s broad sword. His mind recoils from the unnatural creature, and he is confident this thing does not belong on Earth; it is a being of evil. His grip on sanity slips, and he freezes momentarily before realizing he needs to act. In a panic, he opens fire at the demon.

Falcon orders Rex away with Xyria and her people as he twists around, locks onto the power-armored robot attacking Gomez with a giant sword, and fires his visor laser beam to burn bits out of its armor.

Nora follows his actions and blasts twin laser beams at the mechanical attacker, scorching burnt gouges across its body. The robot dog fires again but mistimes Gomez’s movements, hitting the Sergeant’s back with dual scorch marks.

Gomez stumbles from the force of impact along her back, but the awkward movement creates an opening in the behemoth’s defenses, and she slashes a burst of laser fire across its chest. But even with her long years of experience and battle prowess, she couldn’t dodge the retaliatory sword strike. The blade bites down hard.

Laser fire from all four NEMA members tears at the skull-helmeted figure and burns away its armor. The material whisps away into vaporized smoke until bits of a skeleton and unnatural fire glow from the damaged areas. The Sergeant lunges away from another swipe of the sword, the blade as long as she is tall, but the demon swivels the blade around as if it were weightless and slams it into Gomez with ferocious power.

Before Marconi could blink, another slash from the blade cuts into the Sergeant and rips away chunks of her armor. Gomez stumbles back, trying to keep her footing and the damaged areas away from the deadly blows. Marconi has never seen NEMA body armor twist and break from the amount of punishing damage the demon unleashed, and he feels his grip on sanity begin to slip again.

Falcon realizes, within seconds, as their laser fire burns through its power armor, that the attacker isn’t an armored human or robot. As the armor fades away into dark smoke, the giant skeleton bursts into demonic fire. He looks at the creature with sudden panic, a panic he’s only faced once before from the alien spider menace, and his mind seems on the verge of breaking.
OOC Comments
Both Falcon and Marconi need to roll a Horror Save. Marconi failed the first saving roll when he realized the creature was a demon and lost one action. He must keep rolling each round until he succeeds at a Horror save.
User avatar
Falcon
Posts: 60
Joined: Thu Dec 29, 2022 1:13 pm

Re: Hold Back the Night. Chapter 2

Post by Falcon »

Perception: 21% / 1d100: [58] = 58
JIC: 1d20: [9] = 9 / 1d100: [6] = 6
+2 v HF, +2 v Lethal/Non-lethal Toxins, +6% vs Coma/Death, +2 vs Magic, +2 vs Insanity, +2 vs Psionics

Save vs HF 1d20+2: [13]+2 = 15
M&J wrote:Falcon orders Rex away with Xyria and her people as he twists around, locks onto the power-armored robot attacking Gomez with a giant sword, and fires his visor laser beam to burn bits out of its armor.
Falcon puts Xyria and her people out of his mind, so that he can concentrate on the enemy. It would be nice if they chose to help, but I’m just glad they didn’t shoot me when I turned my back.
M&J wrote: cuts into the Sergeant and rips away chunks of her armor. Gomez stumbles back, trying to keep her footing and the damaged areas away from the deadly blows
Noticing how the creature’s blows are tearing into Gomez’s armor, Falcon takes a moment to put on and lock his helmet in place. Better safe than sorry. He then levels his rifle at the creature as he moves towards cover. ”Gomez, run!! We will keep it busy while you make space.”


In case of violence: Initiative +4 (+5 w/rifles)
Initiative: 1d20+5: 1d20+5: [10]+5 = 15

Actions performed not necessarily in this order

Action 1: Put on Helmet
Action 2: Reserved for Dodge/vehicle maneuver
Action 3: Strike: Rifle 1d20+9: [14]+9 = 23 , Damage - SDC (5D6): 5d6: [4, 4, 2, 3, 1] = 14 , Damage - MDC (3D6): 3d6: [4, 1, 2] = 7
Action 4: Strike: Rifle 1d20+9: [20]+9 = 29 , Damage - SDC (5D6): 5d6: [3, 3, 3, 4, 2] = 15 , Damage - MDC (3D6): 3d6: [1, 6, 5] = 12
Action 5: Strike: Rifle 1d20+9: [6]+9 = 15 , Damage - SDC (5D6): 5d6: [3, 1, 2, 5, 2] = 13 , Damage - MDC (3D6): 3d6: [3, 2, 1] = 6
Action 6: Strike: Rifle 1d20+9: [8]+9 = 17 , Damage - SDC (5D6): 5d6: [5, 5, 1, 6, 5] = 22 , Damage - MDC (3D6): 3d6: [6, 5, 2] = 13
Action 7: Strike: Rifle 1d20+9: [11]+9 = 20 , Damage - SDC (5D6): 5d6: [2, 6, 1, 6, 6] = 21 , Damage - MDC (3D6): 3d6: [4, 1, 2] = 7


Parries (+8 included): 1d20+8: [13]+8 = 21 , 1d20+8: [18]+8 = 26 , 1d20+8: [15]+8 = 23 , 1d20+8: [6]+8 = 14 , 1d20+8: [20]+8 = 28
Dodges (+9 included): 1d20+9: [6]+9 = 15 , 1d20+9: [11]+9 = 20 , 1d20+9: [6]+9 = 15 , 1d20+9: [13]+9 = 22 , 1d20+9: [14]+9 = 23

Rex:
Initiative
Initiative: 1d20: 1d20: [19] = 19

Actions performed not necessarily in this order

Action 1: Reserved for Dodge
Action 2: Strike: Head Lasers: 1d20+2: [15]+2 = 17 , Damage – MDC (4D4): 4d4: [2, 3, 4, 3] = 12
Action 3: Strike: Head Lasers: 1d20+2: [20]+2 = 22 , Damage – MDC (4D4): 4d4: [2, 3, 3, 1] = 9
Action 4: Strike: Head Lasers: 1d20+2: [13]+2 = 15 , Damage – MDC (4D4): 4d4: [4, 4, 4, 1] = 13
Action 5: Strike: Head Lasers: 1d20+2: [12]+2 = 14 , Damage – MDC (4D4): 4d4: [1, 4, 3, 3] = 11
Action 6: Strike: Head Lasers: 1d20+2: [19]+2 = 21 , Damage – MDC (4D4): 4d4: [4, 1, 1, 4] = 10

Parries/Dodges
Parries (+1 included): 1d20+1: [14]+1 = 15 , 1d20+1: [14]+1 = 15 , 1d20+1: [7]+1 = 8 , 1d20+1: [2]+1 = 3 , 1d20+1: [4]+1 = 5
Dodges (+4 included): 1d20+4: [8]+4 = 12 , 1d20+4: [2]+4 = 6 , 1d20+4: [14]+4 = 18 , 1d20+4: [18]+4 = 22 , 1d20+4: [19]+4 = 23

Nora:
Initiative
Initiative: 1d20: 1d20: [14] = 14

Actions performed not necessarily in this order

Action 1: Reserved for Dodge
Action 2: Strike: Head Lasers: 1d20+2: [3]+2 = 5 , Damage – MDC (4D4): 4d4: [3, 4, 3, 1] = 11
Action 3: Strike: Head Lasers: 1d20+2: [17]+2 = 19 , Damage – MDC (4D4): 4d4: [3, 2, 2, 4] = 11
Action 4: Strike: Head Lasers: 1d20+2: [11]+2 = 13 , Damage – MDC (4D4): 4d4: [2, 2, 1, 3] = 8
Action 5: Strike: Head Lasers: 1d20+2: [10]+2 = 12 , Damage – MDC (4D4): 4d4: [1, 4, 3, 3] = 11
Action 6: Strike: Head Lasers: 1d20+2: [18]+2 = 20 , Damage – MDC (4D4): 4d4: [3, 2, 2, 3] = 10

Parries/Dodges
Parries (+1 included): 1d20+1: [14]+1 = 15 , 1d20+1: [10]+1 = 11 , 1d20+1: [16]+1 = 17 , 1d20+1: [10]+1 = 11 , 1d20+1: [13]+1 = 14
Dodges (+4 included): 1d20+4: [16]+4 = 20 , 1d20+4: [20]+4 = 24 , 1d20+4: [5]+4 = 9 , 1d20+4: [8]+4 = 12 , 1d20+4: [14]+4 = 18
Dice rolls
1d20+4: [10]+4 = 14
Liam Marconi
Posts: 78
Joined: Mon Dec 05, 2022 8:21 am

Re: Hold Back the Night. Chapter 2

Post by Liam Marconi »

Perception (48%; Blue Zone): 1d100: [89] = 89
JIC (D20/d%): 1d20: [5] = 5 / 1d100: [14] = 14
HF Save: 1d20+2: [20]+2 = 22

The realization that this is some kind of horrific monster, not just a disguise, shocks Liam, but he soon recovers enough to start attacking. The attacks from multiple sources are soon damaging the armor, but he can not tell until the armor is gone whether the entity beneath us being harmed.

As the armor is destroyed, he aims at the demonic creature inside. Should the laser work, he is fine, but if it fails, he will know the only way he might survive is to attack it with his powers and with start channeling the ambient power into energy bolts.

Thoughts in the event the lasers fails him, *Blast, the laser does not effect this thing. I have used...whatever it is I do to fly, lift a wall of scrap, and speed up a hover platform, let's hope I can use it as some kind of attack.*

In the event that Gomez's armor looks like it is close to failing and the demon is still focused on her, Liam will think, *I am not about to lose a team member to this monster. Only one thing to do, play gadfly.*
He will then take off flying with what speed he can manage (which is about 60mph), zooming int front of the demon's face at close range to distract it first, the taunting it by flying a short distance beyond melee range and firing his laser and saying, "Hey ugly, you can't catch me."
If he takes significant damage to his armor, he will become nervous enough to spontaneously cast Armor of Ithan.

Combat details: 5 actions, no bonus to strike with laser rifle, 2d6 MDC damage, +3 Parry, +3 Dodge...Energy Bolt +2 strike, variable damage
Action 1) attack with Laser 1d20: 1d20: [11] = 11 , damage 2d6: 2d6: [6, 5] = 11
Action 2) Assuming I hit and the laser does damage (or I miss), continue attack with laser 1d20: [7] = 7 , damage 2d6: [6, 3] = 9 mdc
Action 2a) Assuming I hit but the laser does no damage. Energy Bolt (uses 10 PPE from ambient) 1d20+2: [14]+2 = 16 , damage 3d6: [1, 1, 3] = 5 MDC
Action 3) (Rifle works) Attack with Laser 1d20: [15] = 15 , laser damage 2d6: [1, 4] = 5 mdc
Action 3a) (Rifle fails to work) Energy Bolt: 1d20+2: [19]+2 = 21 , Damage: 3d6: [2, 4, 5] = 11 mdc
Action 4) (Same) Attack with Laser 1d20: [2] = 2 , Laser Damage: 2d6: [3, 1] = 4
Action 4a) Energy Bolt: 1d20+2: [19]+2 = 21 , Damage: 3d6: [4, 2, 1] = 7
Action 5) Reserved for dodge : 1d20+3: [20]+3 = 23 (Or to be dropped for HF)

If he he finds himself in melee: Parries: 1d20+3: [4]+3 = 7 , 1d20+3: [11]+3 = 14 , 1d20+3: [4]+3 = 7
User avatar
Myth and Jest
Dimension Master
Posts: 83
Joined: Mon Nov 28, 2022 10:42 am
Location: Chaos Earth DM

Re: Hold Back the Night. Chapter 2

Post by Myth and Jest »

11:33 - 28 December – Evansville / Alien Territory

Falcon, an experienced soldier of many battles, clamps down on the fear overwhelming his mind and combines his rifle fire with the NEMA team. Gomez yells, “Hit it hard!” and triggers a triple burst of laser fire. The demon bellows in pain as the triple burst tears across its body and swings its broadsword in a swift slash at the Sergeant. Gomez lunges barely below the blade, rolls, and pops up into a guarded stance.

Marconi’s fear slips away as he sees the state of the Sergeant’s armor. Several large gouges open to the air, and he realizes she won’t survive many more hits from that unholy blade. Almost instinctively, as if he always could, his body fills with energy and launches off the ground toward the demon at high speed.

The demon closes on Gomez like a wolf, closing on a wounded deer. It knows its prey is weakening, and its blood lust surges. It lifts its sword overhead for a two-handed crushing blow, but as it’s about to swing, a fast-moving blur flies directly at its face, screaming a challenge. Marconi whizzes past the burning skull, close enough to feel the intense burning heat emanating from the demon. The demon stumbles from the distraction as it swings and buries the blade into the freezing ground. Snow and ash burst into a cloud, only to be burned away by the heat. Seeing an opening to disengage, Gomez tucks aside and bursts away from the burning skeleton.

Using the creature’s momentary stillness, Falcon blasts it dead on with laser fire, and it steps back in pain, screaming with fury. The combined laser fire tears at the demon’s body, but its hatred pushes it on.

The demon turns to Marconi with a furious scream and vomits a stream of molten hellfire. The fire hits Marconi mid-air, knocking him back, still airborne and smoldering with singed armor and clothing.

Now a reasonable distance away, Gomez drops to one knee, raises her rifle, and fires another triple burst dead center on the demon as Falcon and Nora fire from other sides. The demon seems oblivious to the damage, though each hit disintegrates pieces of its charred skeleton.

Suddenly, with a rage-filled roar reverberating off the buildings, it sprints and leaps through the air at Marconi. Marconi tries to parry the demon’s double-fisted blow with his rifle, but the sword’s hilt smashes through his rifle, shattering it into pieces, and crushes down on his armored vest.

Marconi slams into the ground, his vest crushed into useless rags, and stares at the flaming beast standing over him. In a shocked daze, he realizes he should be dead from that monstrous blow, but somehow, some way, the blue energy has emboldened him, infused within him an unworldly power. Even with the power surging through his being, he felt the demon’s crushing blow and knew he might not survive another hit from the Hell Spawn.
User avatar
Falcon
Posts: 60
Joined: Thu Dec 29, 2022 1:13 pm

Re: Hold Back the Night. Chapter 2

Post by Falcon »

Perception: 18% / 1d100: [83] = 83
JIC: 1d20: [13] = 13 / 1d100: [14] = 14
+2 v HF, +2 v Lethal/Non-lethal Toxins, +6% vs Coma/Death, +2 vs Magic, +2 vs Insanity, +2 vs Psionics

M&J wrote: Marconi slams into the ground, his vest crushed into useless rags, and stares at the flaming beast standing over him. In a shocked daze, he realizes he should be dead from that monstrous blow, but somehow, some way, the blue energy has emboldened him, infused within him an unworldly power. Even with the power surging through his being, he felt the demon’s crushing blow and knew he might not survive another hit from the Hell Spawn.
While doing his best to tear the enemy apart, Falcon sees Marconi take to the air in an impressive show of power and bravery. Way to go kid, just don’t get yourself killed. Out loud he gives off a battle cry and yells, ”There’s a fine line between bravery and stupidity kid!!”
M&J wrote: combines his rifle fire with the NEMA team. Gomez yells, “Hit it hard!” and triggers a triple burst of laser fire. The demon bellows in pain as the triple burst tears across its body
Falcon continues to move from cover to cover just in case the being decides to target him. Firing his preferred weapon, his rifle, he begins to think back to his time in High School playing Rifts. What is this? Should I stick to the rifle, or change to the silver ammo in my pistol?

Lore: Demon & Monster (40%): 1d100: [49] = 49



In case of violence: Initiative +4 (+5 w/rifles)
Initiative: 1d20+5: 1d20+5: [11]+5 = 16

Actions performed not necessarily in this order

Action 1: Reserved for Dodge/vehicle maneuver
Action 2: Reserved for Dodge/vehicle maneuver
Action 3: Strike: Rifle 1d20+9: [3]+9 = 12 , Damage - SDC (5D6): 5d6: [2, 1, 5, 4, 1] = 13 , Damage - MDC (3D6): 3d6: [1, 3, 1] = 5
Action 4: Strike: Rifle 1d20+9: [12]+9 = 21 , Damage - SDC (5D6): 5d6: [1, 2, 6, 1, 6] = 16 , Damage - MDC (3D6): 3d6: [1, 4, 4] = 9
Action 5: Strike: Rifle 1d20+9: [1]+9 = 10 , Damage - SDC (5D6): 5d6: [4, 2, 3, 5, 4] = 18 , Damage - MDC (3D6): 3d6: [4, 1, 2] = 7
Action 6: Strike: Rifle 1d20+9: [10]+9 = 19 , Damage - SDC (5D6): 5d6: [4, 2, 6, 1, 4] = 17 , Damage - MDC (3D6): 3d6: [3, 2, 3] = 8
Action 7: Strike: Rifle 1d20+9: [19]+9 = 28 , Damage - SDC (5D6): 5d6: [4, 6, 4, 1, 1] = 16 , Damage - MDC (3D6): 3d6: [5, 3, 2] = 10


Parries (+8 included): 1d20+8: [7]+8 = 15 , 1d20+8: [5]+8 = 13 , 1d20+8: [15]+8 = 23 , 1d20+8: [5]+8 = 13 , 1d20+8: [11]+8 = 19
Dodges (+9 included): 1d20+9: [13]+9 = 22 , 1d20+9: [19]+9 = 28 , 1d20+9: [3]+9 = 12 , 1d20+9: [18]+9 = 27 , 1d20+9: [10]+9 = 19

Rex:
Initiative
Initiative: 1d20: 1d20: [19] = 19

Actions performed not necessarily in this order

Action 1: Reserved for Dodge
Action 2: Strike: Head Lasers: 1d20+2: [19]+2 = 21 , Damage – MDC (4D4): 4d4: [2, 2, 2, 4] = 10
Action 3: Strike: Head Lasers: 1d20+2: [5]+2 = 7 , Damage – MDC (4D4): 4d4: [1, 4, 1, 1] = 7
Action 4: Strike: Head Lasers: 1d20+2: [10]+2 = 12 , Damage – MDC (4D4): 4d4: [3, 3, 4, 4] = 14
Action 5: Strike: Head Lasers: 1d20+2: [3]+2 = 5 , Damage – MDC (4D4): 4d4: [3, 4, 2, 1] = 10
Action 6: Strike: Head Lasers: 1d20+2: [11]+2 = 13 , Damage – MDC (4D4): 4d4: [3, 3, 1, 4] = 11

Parries/Dodges
Parries (+1 included): 1d20+1: [8]+1 = 9 , 1d20+1: [11]+1 = 12 , 1d20+1: [4]+1 = 5 , 1d20+1: [18]+1 = 19 , 1d20+1: [12]+1 = 13
Dodges (+4 included): 1d20+4: [2]+4 = 6 , 1d20+4: [1]+4 = 5 , 1d20+4: [12]+4 = 16 , 1d20+4: [10]+4 = 14 , 1d20+4: [16]+4 = 20

Nora:
Initiative
Initiative: 1d20: 1d20: [2] = 2

Actions performed not necessarily in this order

Action 1: Reserved for Dodge
Action 2: Strike: Head Lasers: 1d20+2: [2]+2 = 4 , Damage – MDC (4D4): 4d4: [4, 2, 1, 4] = 11
Action 3: Strike: Head Lasers: 1d20+2: [15]+2 = 17 , Damage – MDC (4D4): 4d4: [2, 2, 2, 4] = 10
Action 4: Strike: Head Lasers: 1d20+2: [11]+2 = 13 , Damage – MDC (4D4): 4d4: [3, 3, 4, 4] = 14
Action 5: Strike: Head Lasers: 1d20+2: [10]+2 = 12 , Damage – MDC (4D4): 4d4: [2, 2, 4, 1] = 9
Action 6: Strike: Head Lasers: 1d20+2: [2]+2 = 4 , Damage – MDC (4D4): 4d4: [2, 3, 3, 4] = 12

Parries/Dodges
Parries (+1 included): 1d20+1: [15]+1 = 16 , 1d20+1: [17]+1 = 18 , 1d20+1: [4]+1 = 5 , 1d20+1: [19]+1 = 20 , 1d20+1: [18]+1 = 19
Dodges (+4 included): 1d20+4: [15]+4 = 19 , 1d20+4: [15]+4 = 19 , 1d20+4: [8]+4 = 12 , 1d20+4: [3]+4 = 7 , 1d20+4: [14]+4 = 18
Liam Marconi
Posts: 78
Joined: Mon Dec 05, 2022 8:21 am

Re: Hold Back the Night. Chapter 2

Post by Liam Marconi »

Perception (33%): 1d100: [15] = 15
JIC (d20/d%): 1d20: [4] = 4 / 1d100: [20] = 20

Marconi is filled with rage and desperation, determined not to let this monster destroy him.

Without thinking he summons power to protect him and empower him, there is no visible sign of the protection (Armor of Ithan is invisible) but his fists are covered with arcs of energy as his Energy Fists activate.

Not that Liam actually notices as he lets his melee combat training and his wrath guide him in a rapid series of pummeling attacks and blocks.

Actions/Round: 5, Attack: --, Damage 2d6 MDC, Parry +3
Action 1) Cast Armor of Ithan
Action 2) Activate Energy Fists; Attack: 1d20: [5] = 5 , Damage: 2d6: [2, 1] = 3 , Parry: 1d20+3: [6]+3 = 9
Action 3) Attack: 1d20: [20] = 20 , Damage: 2d6: [3, 3] = 6 , Parry: 1d20+3: [7]+3 = 10
Action 4) Attack: 1d20: [8] = 8 , Damage: 2d6: [1, 5] = 6 , Parry: 1d20+3: [12]+3 = 15
Action 5) Attack: 1d20: [5] = 5 , Damage: 2d6: [2, 4] = 6 , Parry: 1d20+3: [14]+3 = 17

Assorted: 2d20: [20, 4] = 24
User avatar
Myth and Jest
Dimension Master
Posts: 83
Joined: Mon Nov 28, 2022 10:42 am
Location: Chaos Earth DM

Re: Hold Back the Night. Chapter 2

Post by Myth and Jest »

11:34 - 28 December – Evansville / Alien Territory

Falcon, Gomez, and Nora continue to pour on the laser fire and tear away at the demon’s body. Gomez triggers another triple blast that shreds away charred bones. The demon ignores the incoming fire, roars angrily, and swings its sword down on Marconi.

Marconi pushes the blade aside with his bare hands without fully realizing what he’s doing. A part of his mind, perhaps the sane part, realizes what he just did should have been impossible. He should be dead again, but another part of his mind, maybe a more primitive part, growls and gestures with some ancient knowledge and channels a field of invisible energy into a barrier of protection. The demon seems shocked by what the tiny human just did.

Falcon fires again as the ammo counter on his HUD steadily lowers. Without a limit on ammo, Nora circles the demon and Marconi, finds an opening, and fires. Gomez ejects the ammo clip and slams in a new one as her rifle barrel glows red and steams from the falling snow.

Enraged at what it assumed should have been easy carnage, the demon slashes across Marcoi’s chest with a long swing of its broadsword. Marconi absorbs the blow, though only his combat training allows him to keep his breath and counterattack. His fists crackle and glow with blue energy, similar to the wall of energy behind him, and he slams the demon in the gut. The demon’s body may look ethereal, but Marconi’s fist contacts solidly with the enveloping flames. The beast bellows in shock and stumbles back.

Almost simultaneously, Falcon and Gomez see the opening and fire twin beams of accelerated photons into the demon. It cries out in pain, fear, and rage as its hellfire skeleton vaporizes into smoke and ash. Once the dark cloud dissipates, Theresa, the middle-aged church woman, lays crumpled on the ground where the demon once stood.

Xyria rushes out to Falcon, with Rex following close behind. “She was from the ones who have been taking our people, but we have never seen such a creature before!”

Sergeant Gomez slowly walks over, parts of her armor missing, and favoring her exposed side, looks at Xyria with amazement at the alien’s features and the voice in her mind. “What do you mean ‘taking our people?’”
Liam Marconi
Posts: 78
Joined: Mon Dec 05, 2022 8:21 am

Re: Hold Back the Night. Chapter 2

Post by Liam Marconi »

Perception (48%): 1d100: [28] = 28
JIC (d20/d%): 1d20: [10] = 10 / 1d100: [1] = 1

When the fiery skeleton falls, Liam has a moment to reflect, I just fought a monster who tears mega-armor apart BAREHANDED and survived. That is fifty shades of impossible...but possible or not it seems to have really just happened. If my theory before is correct, and something like this happened before, then people like me must be natural defenders of the humans from monsters like that. A mutation that laid latent until the conditions for it to manifest returned.

He clears some of the fog out of his mind and brings it back to here and now. He responds, "It seems obvious enough, that thing there is some kind of parasite. It takes over bodies and uses them to get more bodies to take. It is cunning enough not to use the bodies from the same group, so they blame someone else. So you got these blue guys blaming us, and the church guys blaming the blue guys...and neither one is really behind it. It is these fire skeletons doing it all. We need to check and see if the host survived."

He also 'looks' to see if the demon is still around. Hopefully it fled...or better yet was destroyed, but it might just go dormant and hide inside. He hopes he can tell if that is the case.

To forestall any objections Gomez might have, he says to Falcon "You remember, the small spiders did something similar. Moving dead bodies around like puppets."

He checks to see of Theresa is still alive.
First aid (60%): 1d100: [72] = 72
User avatar
Rhonen
Posts: 24
Joined: Sun Feb 05, 2023 9:09 am

Re: Hold Back the Night. Chapter 2

Post by Rhonen »

Perception: 18% / 1d100: [59] = 59
JIC: 1d20: [9] = 9 / 1d100: [39] = 39
+2 v HF, +2 v Lethal/Non-lethal Toxins, +6% vs Coma/Death, +2 vs Magic, +2 vs Insanity, +2 vs Psionics
M&J wrote: Marconi pushes the blade aside with his bare hands without fully realizing what he’s doing. A part of his mind, perhaps the sane part, realizes what he just did should have been impossible. He should be dead again, but another part of his mind, maybe a more primitive part, growls and gestures with some ancient knowledge and channels a field of invisible energy into a barrier of protection. The demon seems shocked by what the tiny human just did.
Falcon watches Marconi with only a part of his focus as he works to stay alive and keep the others alive. Ok, that is cool. I’m a bit jealous.
M&J wrote: Almost simultaneously, Falcon and Gomez see the opening and fire twin beams of accelerated photons into the demon. It cries out in pain, fear, and rage as its hellfire skeleton vaporizes into smoke and ash. Once the dark cloud dissipates, Theresa, the middle-aged church woman, lays crumpled on the ground where the demon once stood.

Xyria rushes out to Falcon, with Rex following close behind. “She was from the ones who have been taking our people, but we have never seen such a creature before!”

Sergeant Gomez slowly walks over, parts of her armor missing, and favoring her exposed side, looks at Xyria with amazement at the alien’s features and the voice in her mind. “What do you mean ‘taking our people?’”
Falcon reloads his rifle, and moves to where Gomez and the church lady are. ”Rex, Nora, find a defensive point and scan for more enemies."

He then addresses Xyria, ”Xyria, this is Gomez. It is her daughter that is in the cathedral. The child we came to get. Can you explain more?”
Marconi wrote: To forestall any objections Gomez might have, he says to Falcon "You remember, the small spiders did something similar. Moving dead bodies around like puppets."
Falcon hears Marconi, and seeing what he was both willing and able to do to protect Gomez, nods in agreement. great!! Looks like I’m ultimately in charge here. Regardless of rank.

Raising his voice a bit and putting some force behind it. ”I agree Marconi, though we don’t know who is actually in charge and who is the victim. It is possible one or another group is helping these skeletons.”

Falcon then stops to listen to what Xyria has to say. We may need to work together on this.



In case of violence: Initiative +4 (+5 w/rifles)
Initiative: 1d20+5: 1d20+5: [11]+5 = 16

Actions performed not necessarily in this order

Action 1: Reserved for Dodge/vehicle maneuver
Action 2: Reserved for Dodge/vehicle maneuver
Action 3: Strike: Rifle 1d20+9: [3]+9 = 12 , Damage - SDC (5D6): 5d6: [1, 2, 6, 3, 4] = 16 , Damage - MDC (3D6): 3d6: [3, 6, 3] = 12
Action 4: Strike: Rifle 1d20+9: [7]+9 = 16 , Damage - SDC (5D6): 5d6: [5, 1, 4, 6, 5] = 21 , Damage - MDC (3D6): 3d6: [1, 5, 4] = 10
Action 5: Strike: Rifle 1d20+9: [13]+9 = 22 , Damage - SDC (5D6): 5d6: [1, 3, 5, 2, 2] = 13 , Damage - MDC (3D6): 3d6: [2, 1, 6] = 9
Action 6: Strike: Rifle 1d20+9: [14]+9 = 23 , Damage - SDC (5D6): 5d6: [1, 5, 4, 4, 5] = 19 , Damage - MDC (3D6): 3d6: [2, 3, 4] = 9
Action 7: Strike: Rifle 1d20+9: [12]+9 = 21 , Damage - SDC (5D6): 5d6: [5, 4, 4, 2, 4] = 19 , Damage - MDC (3D6): 3d6: [3, 1, 1] = 5

Parries (+8 included): 1d20+8: [12]+8 = 20 , 1d20+8: [10]+8 = 18 , 1d20+8: [19]+8 = 27 , 1d20+8: [14]+8 = 22 , 1d20+8: [7]+8 = 15
Dodges (+9 included): 1d20+9: [18]+9 = 27 , 1d20+9: [9]+9 = 18 , 1d20+9: [4]+9 = 13 , 1d20+9: [9]+9 = 18 , 1d20+9: [6]+9 = 15

Rex:
Initiative
Initiative: 1d20: 1d20: [3] = 3

Actions performed not necessarily in this order

Action 1: Reserved for Dodge
Action 2: Strike: Head Lasers: 1d20+2: [18]+2 = 20 , Damage – MDC (4D4): 4d4: [3, 1, 1, 4] = 9
Action 3: Strike: Head Lasers: 1d20+2: [17]+2 = 19 , Damage – MDC (4D4): 4d4: [2, 3, 2, 1] = 8
Action 4: Strike: Head Lasers: 1d20+2: [13]+2 = 15 , Damage – MDC (4D4): 4d4: [4, 1, 1, 4] = 10
Action 5: Strike: Head Lasers: 1d20+2: [14]+2 = 16 , Damage – MDC (4D4): 4d4: [2, 3, 4, 4] = 13
Action 6: Strike: Head Lasers: 1d20+2: [20]+2 = 22 , Damage – MDC (4D4): 4d4: [4, 4, 3, 2] = 13

Parries/Dodges
Parries (+1 included): 1d20+1: [8]+1 = 9 , 1d20+1: [1]+1 = 2 , 1d20+1: [1]+1 = 2 , 1d20+1: [2]+1 = 3 , 1d20+1: [11]+1 = 12
Dodges (+4 included): 1d20+4: [7]+4 = 11 , 1d20+4: [13]+4 = 17 , 1d20+4: [6]+4 = 10 , 1d20+4: [12]+4 = 16 , 1d20+4: [14]+4 = 18

Nora:
Initiative
Initiative: 1d20: 1d20: [11] = 11

Actions performed not necessarily in this order

Action 1: Reserved for Dodge
Action 2: Strike: Head Lasers: 1d20+2: [3]+2 = 5 , Damage – MDC (4D4): 4d4: [4, 1, 2, 1] = 8
Action 3: Strike: Head Lasers: 1d20+2: [10]+2 = 12 , Damage – MDC (4D4): 4d4: [1, 1, 2, 2] = 6
Action 4: Strike: Head Lasers: 1d20+2: [4]+2 = 6 , Damage – MDC (4D4): 4d4: [2, 2, 2, 3] = 9
Action 5: Strike: Head Lasers: 1d20+2: [10]+2 = 12 , Damage – MDC (4D4): 4d4: [1, 4, 4, 1] = 10
Action 6: Strike: Head Lasers: 1d20+2: [3]+2 = 5 , Damage – MDC (4D4): 4d4: [1, 2, 4, 3] = 10

Parries/Dodges
Parries (+1 included): 1d20+1: [10]+1 = 11 , 1d20+1: [3]+1 = 4 , 1d20+1: [13]+1 = 14 , 1d20+1: [17]+1 = 18 , 1d20+1: [4]+1 = 5
Dodges (+4 included): 1d20+4: [12]+4 = 16 , 1d20+4: [1]+4 = 5 , 1d20+4: [13]+4 = 17 , 1d20+4: [17]+4 = 21 , 1d20+4: [10]+4 = 14
User avatar
Myth and Jest
Dimension Master
Posts: 83
Joined: Mon Nov 28, 2022 10:42 am
Location: Chaos Earth DM

Re: Hold Back the Night. Chapter 2

Post by Myth and Jest »

11:36 - 28 December – Evansville / Alien Territory

Xyria nods to Gomez and brings her hands up in greeting. She speaks with her mother and begins to translate as her mother speaks. “There isn’t much to tell. We became stranded here when the River pulled our land to this world. Shortly after, the Takers”, she points to Theresa,” began to attack us and capture many of us in the chaos. They have repeatedly attacked and captured us since we arrived. Our fighters left this dawn to bring our people back, but they returned only with wounded. Then you arrived and brought that Tainted Vessel. We are lost and have nothing to give.” Her mother seems defeated as she clings to Xyria. She looks back to Gomez. “I’m sorry, but your daughter was never here.”

Marconi searches the immediate area for the demon and expands his other sense for any sign of the beast, but the area is empty of otherworldly beings. He looks down at Theresa lying at his feet. He tries to find her pulse, but before he can, her eyes flutter open. She initially seems puzzled but then recognizes him and her rage builds. “You!” She weakly snarls. “You should be dead; you should all be dead.” She coughs and spits out blood. “This is all your fault. You Sinners brought the End of Times, and now you try to stop our Salvation. You won’t stop Him, NEMA filth. You won’t stop Him bringing our Salvation.” She laughs in a high-pitched screech that breaks into more coughing and blood. “You are too late. I have stopped you from denying Him. He will open the Gates of Heaven when the Son looks down from High. There is nothing you can do!” she screams before her eyes roll back, and she collapses back onto the ground. Marconi suddenly realizes noon is only 24 minutes away.
User avatar
Falcon
Posts: 60
Joined: Thu Dec 29, 2022 1:13 pm

Re: Hold Back the Night. Chapter 2

Post by Falcon »

Perception: 18% / 1d100: [39] = 39
JIC: 1d20: [3] = 3 / 1d100: [22] = 22
+2 v HF, +2 v Lethal/Non-lethal Toxins, +6% vs Coma/Death, +2 vs Magic, +2 vs Insanity, +2 vs Psionics
M&J wrote:“I’m sorry, but your daughter was never here.”
Falcon looks to Gomez ”I’m starting to not like that minister guy.”
M&J wrote: He will open the Gates of Heaven when the Son looks down from High. There is nothing you can do!” she screams before her eyes roll back, and she collapses back onto the ground. Marconi suddenly realizes noon is only 24 minutes away.
With his enhanced hearing, Falcon hears every word she says. ”Marconi, she still alive?” Not much time. We need transportation and help.

To Xyria, ”Do you have transportation, or are there cars nearby that are in good shape? Metal boxes with wheels?” He then pauses a moment. ”And we stopped you from defending your people before. We are sorry for that. However, you have another chance and we are here to help. Are there any warriors willing….and still able….to join us in ending this scourge.”

Falcon then softens his tone and opens a private channel to Gomez. "We have to accept the possibility your daughter is either dead, or a part of this group. You can sit this one out if you feel the need. Stay here and make new allies? Learn about some of the changes?”



In case of violence: Initiative +4 (+5 w/rifles)
Initiative: 1d20+5: 1d20+4: [3]+4 = 7

Actions performed not necessarily in this order

Action 1: Reserved for Dodge/vehicle maneuver
Action 2: Reserved for Dodge/vehicle maneuver
Action 3: Strike: Rifle 1d20+9: [9]+9 = 18 , Damage - SDC (5D6): 5d6: [5, 3, 6, 2, 3] = 19 , Damage - MDC (3D6): 3d6: [1, 5, 2] = 8
Action 4: Strike: Rifle 1d20+9: [15]+9 = 24 , Damage - SDC (5D6): 5d6: [6, 1, 2, 4, 1] = 14 , Damage - MDC (3D6): 3d6: [5, 3, 4] = 12
Action 5: Strike: Rifle 1d20+9: [2]+9 = 11 , Damage - SDC (5D6): 5d6: [1, 5, 2, 2, 2] = 12 , Damage - MDC (3D6): 3d6: [5, 3, 2] = 10
Action 6: Strike: Rifle 1d20+9: [16]+9 = 25 , Damage - SDC (5D6): 5d6: [2, 6, 4, 4, 1] = 17 , Damage - MDC (3D6): 3d6: [2, 1, 5] = 8
Action 7: Strike: Rifle 1d20+9: [11]+9 = 20 , Damage - SDC (5D6): 5d6: [2, 1, 5, 5, 6] = 19 , Damage - MDC (3D6): 3d6: [1, 6, 6] = 13


Parries (+8 included): 1d20+8: [15]+8 = 23 , 1d20+8: [16]+8 = 24 , 1d20+8: [6]+8 = 14 , 1d20+8: [2]+8 = 10 , 1d20+8: [15]+8 = 23
Dodges (+9 included): 1d20+9: [10]+9 = 19 , 1d20+9: [9]+9 = 18 , 1d20+9: [15]+9 = 24 , 1d20+9: [20]+9 = 29 , 1d20+9: [6]+9 = 15

Rex:
Initiative
Initiative: 1d20: 1d20: [19] = 19

Actions performed not necessarily in this order

Action 1: Reserved for Dodge
Action 2: Strike: Head Lasers: 1d20+2: [10]+2 = 12 , Damage – MDC (4D4): 4d4: [1, 3, 3, 4] = 11
Action 3: Strike: Head Lasers: 1d20+2: [6]+2 = 8 , Damage – MDC (4D4): 4d4: [4, 4, 1, 1] = 10
Action 4: Strike: Head Lasers: 1d20+2: [12]+2 = 14 , Damage – MDC (4D4): 4d4: [3, 4, 3, 4] = 14
Action 5: Strike: Head Lasers: 1d20+2: [5]+2 = 7 , Damage – MDC (4D4): 4d4: [2, 4, 2, 2] = 10
Action 6: Strike: Head Lasers: 1d20+2: [17]+2 = 19 , Damage – MDC (4D4): 4d4: [2, 1, 4, 3] = 10

Parries/Dodges
Parries (+1 included): 1d20+1: [9]+1 = 10 , 1d20+1: [3]+1 = 4 , 1d20+1: [18]+1 = 19 , 1d20+1: [18]+1 = 19 , 1d20+1: [13]+1 = 14
Dodges (+4 included): 1d20+4: [16]+4 = 20 , 1d20+4: [18]+4 = 22 , 1d20+4: [8]+4 = 12 , 1d20+4: [14]+4 = 18 , 1d20+4: [4]+4 = 8

Nora:
Initiative
Initiative: 1d20: 1d20: [11] = 11

Actions performed not necessarily in this order

Action 1: Reserved for Dodge
Action 2: Strike: Head Lasers: 1d20+2: [10]+2 = 12 , Damage – MDC (4D4): 4d4: [2, 4, 3, 1] = 10
Action 3: Strike: Head Lasers: 1d20+2: [16]+2 = 18 , Damage – MDC (4D4): 4d4: [3, 1, 1, 2] = 7
Action 4: Strike: Head Lasers: 1d20+2: [3]+2 = 5 , Damage – MDC (4D4): 4d4: [2, 1, 2, 1] = 6
Action 5: Strike: Head Lasers: 1d20+2: [4]+2 = 6 , Damage – MDC (4D4): 4d4: [2, 4, 1, 4] = 11
Action 6: Strike: Head Lasers: 1d20+2: [9]+2 = 11 , Damage – MDC (4D4): 4d4: [1, 1, 1, 3] = 6

Parries/Dodges
Parries (+1 included): 1d20+1: [1]+1 = 2 , 1d20+1: [11]+1 = 12 , 1d20+1: [6]+1 = 7 , 1d20+1: [18]+1 = 19 , 1d20+1: [7]+1 = 8
Dodges (+4 included): 1d20+4: [2]+4 = 6 , 1d20+4: [12]+4 = 16 , 1d20+4: [17]+4 = 21 , 1d20+4: [15]+4 = 19 , 1d20+4: [6]+4 = 10
Liam Marconi
Posts: 78
Joined: Mon Dec 05, 2022 8:21 am

Re: Hold Back the Night. Chapter 2

Post by Liam Marconi »

Perception (48%): 1d100: [52] = 52
JIC (d20/d%): 1d20: [20] = 20 /
Liam Marconi
Posts: 78
Joined: Mon Dec 05, 2022 8:21 am

Re: Hold Back the Night. Chapter 2

Post by Liam Marconi »

Perception (48%): 1d100
JIC (d20/d%): 1d20/ 1d100: [93] = 93

Marconi says to the others, "Assuming she is telling the truth, then the Preacher is going to try to do the same thing that the Giant Spider tried, open a hole in the world to let something in. They seem to think it will be Jesus, but give what she was housing, I sincerely doubt that. We need to get back as fast as we can, because he is probably going to have to kill a lot of people to do it. Falcon, if you carry Gomez, how fast can you and the dogs get to the line by the church?"

He thinks he can probably fly as fast as Falcon can run, though he is not sure of that. The point is still to get someone back there as fast as possible.
User avatar
Falcon
Posts: 60
Joined: Thu Dec 29, 2022 1:13 pm

Re: Hold Back the Night. Chapter 2

Post by Falcon »

(Rolls Carry Over)

Falcon is impressed with Marconi's deduction and the strength of his 'orders'. "On my own, with full gear, I can get to 45 MPH. The hounds go faster." He then looks to Gomez. "I don't know carrying another person. I don't think weight," He shrugs towards her, "will be an issue. But the bulk may hinder my speed."
User avatar
Myth and Jest
Dimension Master
Posts: 83
Joined: Mon Nov 28, 2022 10:42 am
Location: Chaos Earth DM

Re: Hold Back the Night. Chapter 2

Post by Myth and Jest »

11:37 - 28 December – Evansville / Alien Territory

Falcon asks Xyria about any transportation and help from the alien soldiers. She turns to her group and translates. The leader steps forward, throws his fist in the air, and yells something in his alien language. The other warriors raise their fists, shout, and take a stomp forward. The leader bows to Gomez and Falcon with a greeting gesture.

“The Strength will help in your battle against the Takers. As for transportation, we only have the speed of our legs.”

Sergeant Gomez’s face turns white as Falcon mentions her daughter might be dead, but she flushes with anger at the mention of her daughter helping anyone evil. “You can bet your tin can ass she tried to stop whatever bullshit has been going on!”

Marcon mentions Falcon carrying the Sergeant.

“You cannot carry me and reach the church in time. Her only hope is you, Falcon. You and your dogs are the only ones who can make it. Go now; don’t wait for us. We will follow as fast as we can. Do not let me down, Jacob.”
User avatar
Falcon
Posts: 60
Joined: Thu Dec 29, 2022 1:13 pm

Re: Hold Back the Night. Chapter 2

Post by Falcon »

Perception: 18% / 1d100: [79] = 79
JIC: 1d20: [14] = 14 / 1d100: [41] = 41
+2 v HF, +2 v Lethal/Non-lethal Toxins, +6% vs Coma/Death, +2 vs Magic, +2 vs Insanity, +2 vs Psionics
M&J wrote: and yells something in his alien language. The other warriors raise their fists, shout, and take a stomp forward. The leader bows to Gomez and Falcon with a greeting gesture.

“The Strength will help in your battle against the Takers. As for transportation, we only have the speed of our legs.”
Falcon looks to the leader. Only their fee huh? Well, they may not make it in time. He then places his fist over his heart in a warriors’ salute. ”Thank you. We welcome all allies and friends.” Damn, now I sound like one of those diplomats or politicians.
M&J wrote: Marcon mentions Falcon carrying the Sergeant.

“You cannot carry me and reach the church in time. Her only hope is you, Falcon. You and your dogs are the only ones who can make it. Go now; don’t wait for us. We will follow as fast as we can. Do not let me down, Jacob.”
Falcon goes into leader mode, slinging his rifle so he can run faster. I hate doing this. Never split up a good team, but at least we can keep battle buddies. He then pings the general area he believes the event will occur on the team’s HUDs and gestures to each as he gives voice to the plan. ”Rex, Nora (Spd 100 MPH) go on ahead. Scout for good overwatch positions and to pinpoint the event. DO NOT GET CAUGHT!!” Falcon swears he sees the hounds not before loping off. ”.....Marconi, you are with me. Do that voo doo you do so well. I’m assuming you can keep up with me (Spd 45 MPH). Stay low using the buildings as concealment. Do not get more than 25 meters away from me.” Falcon then looks to Gomez. ”Guess you are making friends today. Get there as fast as you can. Make allies along the way…..ready, break!”

With that Falcon turns and takes off at high speed.




In case of violence: Initiative +4 (+5 w/rifles)
Initiative: 1d20+5: 1d20+4: [7]+4 = 11

Actions performed not necessarily in this order

Action 1: Reserved for Dodge/vehicle maneuver
Action 2: Reserved for Dodge/vehicle maneuver
Action 3: Strike: Rifle 1d20+9: [17]+9 = 26 , Damage - SDC (5D6): 5d6: [6, 1, 2, 4, 6] = 19 , Damage - MDC (3D6): 3d6: [6, 3, 1] = 10
Action 4: Strike: Rifle 1d20+9: [16]+9 = 25 , Damage - SDC (5D6): 5d6: [4, 5, 6, 2, 3] = 20 , Damage - MDC (3D6): 3d6: [1, 4, 5] = 10
Action 5: Strike: Rifle 1d20+9: [5]+9 = 14 , Damage - SDC (5D6): 5d6: [3, 4, 2, 4, 6] = 19 , Damage - MDC (3D6): 3d6: [5, 6, 1] = 12
Action 6: Strike: Rifle 1d20+9: [10]+9 = 19 , Damage - SDC (5D6): 5d6: [4, 3, 6, 1, 6] = 20 , Damage - MDC (3D6): 3d6: [2, 5, 2] = 9

Parries (+8 included): 1d20+8: [18]+8 = 26 , 1d20+8: [2]+8 = 10 , 1d20+8: [19]+8 = 27 , 1d20+8: [2]+8 = 10 , 1d20+8: [20]+8 = 28
Dodges (+9 included): 1d20+9: [15]+9 = 24 , 1d20+9: [6]+9 = 15 , 1d20+9: [1]+9 = 10 , 1d20+9: [16]+9 = 25 , 1d20+9: [20]+9 = 29

Rex:
Initiative
Initiative: 1d20: 1d20: [12] = 12

Actions performed not necessarily in this order

Action 1: Reserved for Dodge
Action 2: Strike: Head Lasers: 1d20+2: [3]+2 = 5 , Damage – MDC (4D4): 4d4: [3, 1, 2, 4] = 10
Action 3: Strike: Head Lasers: 1d20+2: [10]+2 = 12 , Damage – MDC (4D4): 4d4: [1, 1, 2, 4] = 8
Action 4: Strike: Head Lasers: 1d20+2: [2]+2 = 4 , Damage – MDC (4D4): 4d4: [2, 3, 2, 4] = 11
Action 5: Strike: Head Lasers: 1d20+2: [6]+2 = 8 , Damage – MDC (4D4): 4d4: [2, 2, 2, 3] = 9
Action 6: Strike: Head Lasers: 1d20+2: [2]+2 = 4 , Damage – MDC (4D4): 4d4: [2, 2, 1, 1] = 6

Parries/Dodges
Parries (+1 included): 1d20+1: [7]+1 = 8 , 1d20+1: [9]+1 = 10 , 1d20+1: [11]+1 = 12 , 1d20+1: [4]+1 = 5 , 1d20+1: [19]+1 = 20
Dodges (+4 included): 1d20+4: [1]+4 = 5 , 1d20+4: [13]+4 = 17 , 1d20+4: [16]+4 = 20 , 1d20+4: [12]+4 = 16 , 1d20+4: [16]+4 = 20

Nora:
Initiative
Initiative: 1d20: 1d20: [10] = 10

Actions performed not necessarily in this order

Action 1: Reserved for Dodge
Action 2: Strike: Head Lasers: 1d20+2: [4]+2 = 6 , Damage – MDC (4D4): 4d4: [4, 4, 4, 1] = 13
Action 3: Strike: Head Lasers: 1d20+2: [3]+2 = 5 , Damage – MDC (4D4): 4d4: [1, 3, 2, 4] = 10
Action 4: Strike: Head Lasers: 1d20+2: [14]+2 = 16 , Damage – MDC (4D4): 4d4: [2, 3, 1, 3] = 9
Action 5: Strike: Head Lasers: 1d20+2: [1]+2 = 3 , Damage – MDC (4D4): 4d4: [3, 4, 4, 4] = 15
Action 6: Strike: Head Lasers: 1d20+2: [10]+2 = 12 , Damage – MDC (4D4): 4d4: [3, 3, 2, 3] = 11

Parries/Dodges
Parries (+1 included): 1d20+1: [18]+1 = 19 , 1d20+1: [13]+1 = 14 , 1d20+1: [16]+1 = 17 , 1d20+1: [12]+1 = 13 , 1d20+1: [12]+1 = 13
Dodges (+4 included): 1d20+4: [13]+4 = 17 , 1d20+4: [12]+4 = 16 , 1d20+4: [4]+4 = 8 , 1d20+4: [20]+4 = 24 , 1d20+4: [4]+4 = 8
Liam Marconi
Posts: 78
Joined: Mon Dec 05, 2022 8:21 am

Re: Hold Back the Night. Chapter 2

Post by Liam Marconi »

Perception (48%; blue zone): 1d100: [76] = 76
JIC (d20/d%): 1d20: [6] = 6 / 1d100: [22] = 22

Marconi says to Gomez, "Hopefully we find your daughter alive so we can rescue her." Then he soars off to catch up with Falcon, finding that easier than he expects.

Belatedly, he remembers that he did not grab a new ranged weapon. He hopes that he can come up with something when he gets there.

Or possibly before then. He soars up beside Falcon and says, "Hey, would you happen to have a spare rifle I could use. So far my abilities have been rather unreliable. Even I do not know what I am going to pull next...and that is disconcerting. Something fairly reliable I can use would be better."

He thinks, Disconcerting, that is a mild way to put it. Lately my life seems like a crap shoot, and while I have been rolling 7 enough to stay in the game, I am bound to crap out sooner or later. That last fight...if I had time and there were still such things as psyche departments I would be turning myself in for analysis of a dream that wild. As it is, I am living on borrowed time and the loan may come due at any moment. Best to make the most of every minute I have until then.
User avatar
Falcon
Posts: 60
Joined: Thu Dec 29, 2022 1:13 pm

Re: Hold Back the Night. Chapter 2

Post by Falcon »

(Rolls Carry Over)
Marconi wrote:Or possibly before then. He soars up beside Falcon and says, "Hey, would you happen to have a spare rifle I could use. So far my abilities have been rather unreliable. Even I do not know what I am going to pull next...and that is disconcerting. Something fairly reliable I can use would be better."
Falcon notices Marconi, but continues to scan the area in front of him. At these speeds have to keep my eyes on the road.

When Marconi speaks Falcon's first thought is to say "What the hell happened to your rifle? The first thing they teach you at Basic is not to lose your weapon.", but he keeps his mouth shut. What does this kid think? I'm a sniper. I need my rifle. He quickly does a mental inventory of his ranged capabilities - Auto Pistol, Ion Pistol, Cybernetic Visor Laser. He knows he is not as good with these than he is with the rifle. Slower and less accurate, but still better than this kid without a weapon. I hope he gets his act together before he even thinks about promotion.

He carefully unslings his rifle and hands it to Marconi. Once he is certain Marconi has it secured, he hands over 4 of his remaining 5 full magazines. "Don't lose it, don't damage it, and, God help us, don't shoot yourself, Rex, Nora, or me."
Liam Marconi
Posts: 78
Joined: Mon Dec 05, 2022 8:21 am

Re: Hold Back the Night. Chapter 2

Post by Liam Marconi »

(Rolls held over)
Liam says, "Thanks, the burning skeleton destroyed my last one, as well as scrapping my armor. I admit, I am not sure how I even survived that fight, let along won it."

He will try to return the rifle in one piece...but better to both be armed.
User avatar
Myth and Jest
Dimension Master
Posts: 83
Joined: Mon Nov 28, 2022 10:42 am
Location: Chaos Earth DM

Re: Hold Back the Night. Chapter 2

Post by Myth and Jest »

11:59 - 28 December – Evansville Cathedral of His Holiness and Mercy

Marconi and Falcon speed through the ruins of Evansville back to the cathedral. Minutes before they arrive, Nora and Rex confirm their arrival and send the results of their scouting. The church’s perimeter is unguarded, and a large gathering of people is within the building, estimated at around 80 people. The robots pipe their audio mics over the channel, and Falcon hears a familiar yet strange drone of chanting in what could be Latin but oddly menacing. The sole-standing spire of the cathedral breaks into view as they draw near, and even Marconi hears the chanting as they stop outside the building.

Inside, the congregation kneels in the pews, chanting in prayer. On the stage stands a dozen church members, including the minister, Bradley. In front of each member sits a bound and gagged alien of various ages and genders. In the middle, in front of Bradley, sits Salena. As the chanting builds in volume and tempo, the members on stage raise knives to the necks of each captive. Some struggle, others break out in tears, and Salena looks around wildly with terror until she spots Falcon and Marconi with a look of hope.
Liam Marconi
Posts: 78
Joined: Mon Dec 05, 2022 8:21 am

Re: Hold Back the Night. Chapter 2

Post by Liam Marconi »

Perception (48%; Blue Zone): 1d100: [75] = 75
JIC (d20/d%): 1d20: [18] = 18 / 1d100: [30] = 30

Marconi says to Falcon, "Have the dogs target the knives. We do not want anyone dying, remember the Spider, what it was doing got stronger with every death. I get the feeling this will also. I am going to see if I can break up this little ceremony. If you have any flash/bangs or concussion grenades, this might be a good time to use one." As he says this, he gives the rifle back to the cyborg, he gets the feeling he will need his hands free.
OOC Comments
I am assuming that Liam recast his Fly as a Superhuman spell before we got here, so he has enough flight time to fly through the fight.
Liam heads UP to the rafters of the church. All eyes should be on the sacrifices, by being well above that, he should be able to cross the distance unseen. If (When) he his seen (and realizes it), he immediately fly toward the preacher and start his spell. placing it on Sara with a touch.

Stealth: 1d100: [78] = 78

Available PPE: 1d6*10: [2]*10 = 20
Once he is above the Preacher, (or near the preacher) he drops down to a foot off the floor and casts his Armor of Ithan spell on Sara with a touch. That should prevent her from being sacrificed for a few seconds.

He will say, "The Angel of the Lord prevented the sacrifice of Isaac. He would not ask for this, you have fallen under the sway of the deceiver. These children you hold, though strange of form. are as much victims as we ALL are."

Really, he does not expect the preacher to listen, of even any of those holding the knives. Those are clearly fanatics. The flock, however, they might listen, and if the Dogs stopped the knives, possibly it will buy Liam time for something else...and may disrupt the ceremony entirely.

Initiative: 1d20: [12] = 12
Actions: Liam, hopefully, does not actually have to fight anyone this round, but if he does:
Action 1&2 (Described above) If needed: Strike roll to cast the spell on Sara 1d20: [19] = 19
Action 3: Standard Kick Attack 1d20: [8] = 8 , Damage: 1d8: [5] = 5 , Parry 1d20+3: [1]+3 = 4
Action 4: Standard Kick Attack 1d20: [16] = 16 , damage: 1d8: [4] = 4 , Parry 1d20+3: [11]+3 = 14
Action 5: Reserved to dodge (but flying up out of reach if possible) 1d20+3: [15]+3 = 18

Save vs magic at +1
1d20+1: [12]+1 = 13 , 1d20+1: [13]+1 = 14 , 1d20+1: [15]+1 = 16 , 1d20+1: [7]+1 = 8 , 1d20+1: [9]+1 = 10
Last edited by Liam Marconi on Fri Feb 23, 2024 3:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.
User avatar
Falcon
Posts: 60
Joined: Thu Dec 29, 2022 1:13 pm

Re: Hold Back the Night. Chapter 2

Post by Falcon »

Perception: 18% / 1d100: [99] = 99
JIC: 1d20: [16] = 16 / 1d100: [39] = 39
+2 v HF, +2 v Lethal/Non-lethal Toxins, +6% vs Coma/Death, +2 vs Magic, +2 vs Insanity, +2 vs Psionics
M&J wrote: Inside, the congregation kneels in the pews, chanting in prayer. On the stage stands a dozen church members, including the minister, Bradley. In front of each member sits a bound and gagged alien of various ages and genders. In the middle, in front of Bradley, sits Salena. As the chanting builds in volume and tempo, the members on stage raise knives to the necks of each captive. Some struggle, others break out in tears, and Salena looks around wildly with terror until she spots Falcon and Marconi with a look of hope.
Marconi wrote: Marconi says to Falcon, "Have the dogs target the knives. We do not want anyone dying, remember the Spider, what it was doing got stronger with every death. I get the feeling this will also. I am going to see if I can break up this little ceremony. If you have any flash/bangs or concussion grenades, this might be a good time to use one." As he says this, he gives the rifle back to the cyborg, he gets the feeling he will need his hands free.
Falcon nods and takes his rifle. Agreeing with Marconi’s assessment, but knowing the hounds can’t pull their punches (no ranged SDC weapons), he relays the information over their dedicated channel. ”Protect Selena and the aliens on the stage. Target the arms holding the knives first. Preference is to minimize casualties.”
Marconi wrote:Liam heads UP to the rafters of the church. All eyes should be on the sacrifices, by being well above that, he should be able to cross the distance unseen.

Once he is above the Preacher, he drops down to a foot off the floor and casts his Armor of Ithan spell on Sara with a touch. That should prevent her from being sacrificed for a few seconds.

He will say, "The Angel of the Lord prevented the sacrifice of Isaac. He would not ask for this, you have fallen under the sway of the deceiver. These children you hold, though strange of form. are as much victims as we ALL are."
Falcon doesn’t even blink anymore as Marconi takes flight. Crazy F@$K!! Hope it works.

He then targets the arm of the person holding Selena.

Once Selena is out of immediate danger, Falcon takes the two smoke grenades from his LBV and chucks them into the congregation as far to each side as possible. Don’t know about the kid, but the Hounds and I will be fine with our Thermal Vision. Hopefully none of the congregation have any.

Grenades on their way, he switches to targeting the Minister.

In case of violence: Initiative +4 (+5 w/rifles)
Initiative: 1d20+5: 1d20+4: [15]+4 = 19

Actions performed not necessarily in this order

Action 1: Reserved for Dodge/Throw Grenade
Action 2: Reserved for Dodge/Throw Grenade
Action 3: Strike: Rifle 1d20+9: [17]+9 = 26 Damage - MDC (3D6): 3d6: [5, 6, 3] = 14
Action 4: Strike: Rifle 1d20+9: [7]+9 = 16 Damage - MDC (3D6): 3d6: [6, 2, 5] = 13
Action 5: Strike: Rifle 1d20+9: [12]+9 = 21 Damage - MDC (3D6): 3d6: [3, 6, 4] = 13
Action 6: Strike: Rifle 1d20+9: [17]+9 = 26 Damage - MDC (3D6): 3d6: [4, 5, 4] = 13
Action 7: Strike: Rifle 1d20+9: [11]+9 = 20 Damage - MDC (3D6): 3d6: [4, 4, 1] = 9

Parries (+8 included): 1d20+8: [2]+8 = 10 , 1d20+8: [1]+8 = 9 , 1d20+8: [17]+8 = 25 , 1d20+8: [11]+8 = 19 , 1d20+8: [13]+8 = 21
Dodges (+9 included): 1d20+9: [5]+9 = 14 , 1d20+9: [11]+9 = 20 , 1d20+9: [15]+9 = 24 , 1d20+9: [4]+9 = 13 , 1d20+9: [3]+9 = 12

Rex:
Initiative
Initiative: 1d20: 1d20: [14] = 14

Actions performed not necessarily in this order

Action 1: Reserved for Dodge
Action 2: Strike: Head Lasers: 1d20+2: [18]+2 = 20 , Damage – MDC (4D4): 4d4: [2, 4, 1, 2] = 9
Action 3: Strike: Head Lasers: 1d20+2: [12]+2 = 14 , Damage – MDC (4D4): 4d4: [3, 4, 1, 2] = 10
Action 4: Strike: Head Lasers: 1d20+2: [4]+2 = 6 , Damage – MDC (4D4): 4d4: [4, 4, 2, 1] = 11
Action 5: Strike: Head Lasers: 1d20+2: [11]+2 = 13 , Damage – MDC (4D4): 4d4: [4, 3, 4, 4] = 15
Action 6: Strike: Head Lasers: 1d20+2: [6]+2 = 8 , Damage – MDC (4D4): 4d4: [3, 4, 1, 1] = 9

Parries/Dodges
Parries (+1 included): 1d20+1: [15]+1 = 16 , 1d20+1: [16]+1 = 17 , 1d20+1: [1]+1 = 2 , 1d20+1: [16]+1 = 17 , 1d20+1: [9]+1 = 10
Dodges (+4 included): 1d20+4: [9]+4 = 13 , 1d20+4: [2]+4 = 6 , 1d20+4: [4]+4 = 8 , 1d20+4: [3]+4 = 7 , 1d20+4: [2]+4 = 6

Nora:
Initiative
Initiative: 1d20: 1d20: [4] = 4

Actions performed not necessarily in this order

Action 1: Reserved for Dodge
Action 2: Strike: Head Lasers: 1d20+2: [15]+2 = 17 , Damage – MDC (4D4): 4d4: [2, 1, 4, 2] = 9
Action 3: Strike: Head Lasers: 1d20+2: [13]+2 = 15 , Damage – MDC (4D4): 4d4: [3, 3, 2, 4] = 12
Action 4: Strike: Head Lasers: 1d20+2: [6]+2 = 8 , Damage – MDC (4D4): 4d4: [4, 1, 4, 3] = 12
Action 5: Strike: Head Lasers: 1d20+2: [4]+2 = 6 , Damage – MDC (4D4): 4d4: [1, 3, 1, 4] = 9
Action 6: Strike: Head Lasers: 1d20+2: [8]+2 = 10 , Damage – MDC (4D4): 4d4: [1, 3, 4, 2] = 10

Parries/Dodges
Parries (+1 included): 1d20+1: [4]+1 = 5 , 1d20+1: [14]+1 = 15 , 1d20+1: [18]+1 = 19 , 1d20+1: [1]+1 = 2 , 1d20+1: [14]+1 = 15
Dodges (+4 included): 1d20+4: [14]+4 = 18 , 1d20+4: [5]+4 = 9 , 1d20+4: [20]+4 = 24 , 1d20+4: [7]+4 = 11 , 1d20+4: [6]+4 = 10
User avatar
Myth and Jest
Dimension Master
Posts: 83
Joined: Mon Nov 28, 2022 10:42 am
Location: Chaos Earth DM

Re: Hold Back the Night. Chapter 2

Post by Myth and Jest »

12:00- 28 December – Evansville Cathedral of His Holiness and Mercy

Marconi rises off the ground, attempting to close with the church members on stage, but is noticed halfway. One of the captors calls out a warning just before Falcon, Rex, and Nora fire their lasers. The perceptive captor’s warning breaks into a gurgle as Rex’s beam slices through the man. Nora’s laser takes out another surprised cultist. Falcon’s fire hits Minister Bradley’s shoulder, and the man reacts with pained surprise, but the laser barely burns his skin. The blade against Salena’s neck twitches from the Minister’s jerked reaction and bites a thin line across her neck; not enough for severe damage, but blood begins to seep.

The congregation erupts into a screaming mass of chaos as Marconi comes to a hovering stop in front of Salena and the Minister, blocking Falcon’s line of fire. Bradley’s eyes widened with surprise and snarled. “Impossible! You should be dead!”

Falcon tosses a smoke grenade into the crowd, and billowing smoke erupts into the room. The congregation doesn’t know what to do as people crash into each other. Rex and Nora fire another blast of photonic death, and two more captors scream final cries.

Bradley screams out with rage. “Kill them now!” The remaining captors plunge their knives into their captives. Five hostages perish, but one captor fumbles. His hostage twists from his grasp, tumbling off the stage. The four other living aliens follow off the stage in a desperate escape. Before Bradley can stab Salena, Marconi reaches forward and touches her shoulder, and a rush of energy flows around her, creating a barrier of protection. Bradley’s knife slides across the barrier like a paintbrush without paint, causing no harm. Marconi senses energy rise from the body of each fallen alien. The energy pauses as if confused before being pulled into the Minister.

Falcon tosses another smoke grenade into the crowd. The overwhelming smoke breaks the congregation’s confusion, and the people flee to the exits.

Rex and Nora’s lasers slice through two more captors, dropping the bodies next to their victims.

Marconi kicks the Minister, and it feels like he kicked a mountain. Bradley smiles and gestures at Marconi as a bolt of flame erupts from his hand. Marconi dodges aside by millimeters. An intense heat washes over him. Salena, seeing an opening, dives away from Marconi and the Minister. The bolt scorches past Falcon and crashes into the rear wall, flinging molten debris down around him.

The remaining captors attempt to close in on Marconi and Salena, but Falcon and his robots tear them to pieces with laser fire.

Minister Bradley laughs in a high-pitched shriek that sends a shiver down everyone’s spine, and he flings another bolt of flame at Marconi. The magical fire slams into Marconi’s chest like a sledgehammer, almost knocking the wind out of him. Flames ignite his clothing, and he can nearly believe his skin is searing. The heat washes across his vision, and sweat erupts from his pores. He realizes another hit like that could end his life.

Through the chaos of the flames, Salena jumps from the stage into the smoke and disappears from everyone but Falcon’s view.

Seeing Bradley fixated on Marconi, Falcon combines his laser fire with Rex and Nora onto the Minister. The barrage slams into the man, scorching his skin with slash marks. Bradley bares the impacts through gritted teeth and flings another blast at Marconi. Marconi’s weakened power flares as the bolt crushes him to the ground. He feels like he was hit by the sun and can hear his flesh sizzle. He knows he will die from another hit.
OOC Comments
Marconi is down to 3 MDC!
Time seems to slow for Falcon as he watches the bolt of flame engulf Marconi. The kid is probably dead. Falcon, with the speed only a cyborg can generate, fires three laster blasts along with the beams from Rex and Nora. The onslaught tears into the Minister, forcing the man back. In the last moment, Bradley raises his arm to shield himself from the onslaught, but the concentrated photonic energy slashes through. A smoking body is the only thing left of the Minister.
Post Reply

Return to “Adventure Forum”