Does Anybody Really Know What Time It is?

The continuing adventures of an arrogant elf, and the masochists who join him on his fools errands.
User avatar
Barracuda
Diamond Level Patron
Posts: 461
Joined: Mon Feb 01, 2010 12:14 am
Location: Heroes For Hire - PC

Re: Does Anybody Really Know What Time It is?

Post by Barracuda »

Perception: 1d100: [64] = 64 /46% (61% underwater)
JIC: 1d20: [1] = 1 / 1d100: [75] = 75

Thanks to Grant's Magic Portal, Barracuda is able to make it up to Keiko's location during the ritual. As soon as he sees that she's through her Dimensional Portal, he hops through, no backflip this time. In a feat of unheard of nimbleness, he lands smoothly on the couch with his lady next to him. This had better not be an evil version of my couch or I'm going to flip out.
Keiko wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 12:48 pm"Oof. Hehehehe. That was fun."
"Any adventure we can walk away from is fun in my book, babe." He puts his weapon down and relaxes into Keiko. And when it's time to head to their rooms, he follows Keiko, with a tired look in his eye but love in his heart.


For the next few days, Barracuda splits his time between quality time with Keiko, playing with Striker and doing laps in the local pool.
Barracuda
Benjamin "Barracuda" Berry, Lord of the Bay
SDC: 121/121
HP: 23/23
Critical Strike: 18-20



Amulet of Protection Against The Supernatural: +2 vs. Horror Factor and Possession
Image
Ledger
User avatar
Underguard
Dimension Master
Posts: 1112
Joined: Mon Jun 03, 2019 6:41 pm
Location: CAF, UPS and GIRLS GM - nphilip90s/ScytheNP#2513

Re: Does Anybody Really Know What Time It is?

Post by Underguard »

Conditions wrote:Current Time/Date in Merctown: Friday, October 112PA, 10:15am
Environmental Conditions: Internal Temp; 11*C (53*F), relatively cool breeze with a bright sun.
Ley Line/Nexus Presence: Merctown Nexus nearby
[Uninvited Guests]

It's been a couple days since the Heroes have returned back to Merctown and all is well. Those who've had an ear to the news have heard a report that there was an explosion at the airfield over the weekend with recovery crews quick to move in; no groups have claimed responsibility. A travelers report suggests a new dragon has been seen east of Merctown and there were troubling seismic reports further north. The continent is restless, but there is no major conflict, just random destruction and silence. Even the Job Market Cafe's available jobs are slim pickings, most beneath the Heroes radar.

Daisuke spends some time studying the Omega Knight corpses he swallowed and their gear. With the help of the magically inclined Grant and Keiko, and some decent studying, the answers revealed. They appear to be a type of enhanced mage armor, both sets have the same three enchantments; Invulnerability, Fear, and Mystic Shield. Each Omega-Sword appears to be akin to a Battlefury Blade, however when activated, its features instead can be used to produce an Power Bolt for ranged attack or empowered to Life Drain it's closer targets. It is highly possible both blades would fetch more than a Battle Fury Blade would cost to the right collector, same goes for the rather unique armor. The pair decide to table the discussion until everyone can pitch in.

After the accounting of the acquired loot and disclosure to the group, he goes on a hunt for some old friends and possibly a new pet. Daisuke is unable to find an ostrich (I cannot find that anywhere in the books.), in fact he finds that the more simple mammals he is seeking are hard-pressed to be found in Merctown. However, he does find a trader selling a Antelope (Gazelle equivalent in the book, M&A, pg 200) fawn for 5,000cr, a pair of horns barely beginning to sprout. The trader doesn't have a manual, but you find the Beastiary to have manuals for all beasts, even those they don't have. On his walk, Daisuke does notice he seems to attracted a secret admirer that whenever he tries to corner, disappears into the crowd.

Grant meanwhile returns to Dwoemer to find the artificer working on his boots to be tinkering with something else, a pocket watch? When Grant walks in, the artificer perks up. "Ah, welcome back. I tried to send you a message, but it seems you were away." He simply gets up and disappears in the back room. A couple cupboards are heard as he then walks out with a wooden box that he places before Grant. He nods to the mage to open the box, and when Grant does he finds the Seven League Boots crisp and waiting for him. (It's been five years? I think that price has been paid for him.)

Now, on the third day, Grant has returned from his brief visit to Dwoemer and Barracuda is just returning from a lap around the pool. The Heroes Haven is quiet with everyone taking some personal space and quiet time after the scrambling they've endured. Or so they hoped; the magically inclined each feel a sudden ping as a rift appears to open right inside their doorway. When the team runs in, they see three individuals standing and looking quiet confused. (No sixth sense, just rift sense)

[Wibbly Wobbly Timey Wimey]

Without times for questions and answers, not that a clear answer is ever expected from a god, the trio suddenly find themselves standing in the front room of random house. Lilith looks out the front window and recognizes Merctown, though neither Hemlock nor Gloriosa feel anything except a mortal city filly with literally countless threats. Any senses of magic or presences around the trio reveals they are embedded in a city of empowered individuals mingling with technologically powered mundanes. Lilith isn't sure which part of the city they are in yet, and before she is able to guess, a sound upstairs is heard.

Lilith, Hemlock and Gloriosa can each tell the house in front of them is also occupied and have no time to react as several people fill into the room from various points in the house. Any sensing or sights on them reveal good, yet powerful auras.
PW: CAF GM || UPS GM || GIRLS GM|| Theme Song
PCs: | Exe (PW GA) | Ronan (Spook Squad) | Venenifer (Roughnecks) | Glitch (PW GR) | Granas (PFRPG) ||
╭∩╮(︶︿︶)╭∩╮

User avatar
Hemlock
Posts: 57
Joined: Fri Feb 24, 2023 11:28 am

Re: Does Anybody Really Know What Time It is?

Post by Hemlock »

JIC: 1d20: [17] = 17 , 1d100: [81] = 81
Perception: 93% / 1d100: [44] = 44 (SUCCESS)

  • P.P.E.: 870/870
  • I.S.P.: 268/268
  • M.D.C.: 719/719



Energy Sphere: 1500 P.P.E. for 30 days
Heightened Presence Sense: constant 100ft range
Sustain: 15 days


The world shimmers, shifts, then solidifies, not once but twice within a minute! The first time was Asgard's halls, but after Freya's hasty words and smile they were shifted across dimensions once more.

That's not much to go on Freya, is it?

Hemlock then finds herself in a second dimension and in a mild state of disorientation. She scans their surroundings with curious eyes. Gloriosa, Lillith and .. She is taken aback when she realises Arvid is not among them.

Alas before she has time to locate him, or even determine which dimension they find themselves in, the room quickly fills with people. I suppose these ones can fill us in with some details.

The Heroes 4 Hire see Hemlock as a short young lady, with wild red hair with stems of small white flowers tied in. Anyone familiar with botany might recognise it as the infamous and deadly herb. Her skin is white as snow and her green eyes are the colour of a new forest in spring.

An instinct tells her to take a half-step protectively in front of Gloriosa, but she restrains herself. After all, his current form looks a lot like Carl Weathers, and he doesn't need any protecting! And so the godling shrugs and smiles disarmingly at these strange new folk, takes a breath, and decides to bridge the gap of confusion. Her voice, though polite, holds an edge of vague amusement.

"Greetings," she starts, her green eyes scanning the faces of these new folk in this strange house in an unknown dimension. "We mean no harm. My name is Hemlock."

Hemlock pauses a moment, gauging their reactions. Would they recognise my name? Unlikely, I don't go out and about all too often and the whole illegitimate daughter of Frigga and Loki business is by and large kept under wraps. Perhaps these folk were favoured by Freya with some sort of explanation? More importantly, who could these folk be?

"We were...unexpectedly brought here," Hemlock continues, choosing her words carefully. "If you could explain who you are and where we are, it would be greatly appreciated." She hopes her polite demeanor would ease the tension and encourage conversation. Freya did say Earth. So am I in the same Earth I just left? But then why would she... oh what am I thinking expecting anything simple with my kin.

She smirks, "And if you could at all manage it, we appear to be short one Asgardian. Did he happen to arrive before us? Tall, blonde, overly fond of lightning, not the sort that is easily misplaced."

Hemlock's gaze floats between each of the new folk in this dwelling.
The Road goes ever on and on
Spell Strength +10 (victims need 22 to save vs. Hemlock's magic)
Senses: Intelligent presences and manned surveillance systems (100 ft/90% chance), and Rifts (350 miles).

M.D.C.: 719/719
,
P.P.E.: 852/870
,
I.S.P.: 212/268
,
Nightvision (200'), See Invisible.
User avatar
Keiko
Posts: 160
Joined: Fri Feb 07, 2020 3:44 pm

Re: Does Anybody Really Know What Time It is?

Post by Keiko »

Perception: 1d100: [47] = 47 /55%
JIC: 1d20: [7] = 7 ; 1d100: [69] = 69
Active Effects
Keiko buys the Gazelle for Daisuke. (-5k credits)

Keiko's time is spent enjoying the well deserved rest. She does lay claim to one of the swords if there are no objections. I do need to get moving eventually. I have to get those golems built. And I have to get working on modifying a few temporal spells. So much to do. At least these swords are useful...I know that feeling. Keiko's ears perk up as she feels the disturbance. Even though her sixth sense has not triggered yet, she slings her bow and makes her way down stairs. "Grant! Daisuke! You playing with dimensional bags again?"

Keiko's orange and red summer dress flows around her as she enters the room with her bow on her shoulder. She smiles at the new comers. "Oh looks like we have visitors."
Hemlock wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 8:35 pm
"Greetings," she starts, her green eyes scanning the faces of these new folk in this strange house in an unknown dimension. "We mean no harm. My name is Hemlock."

"We were...unexpectedly brought here," Hemlock continues, choosing her words carefully. "If you could explain who you are and where we are, it would be greatly appreciated." She hopes her polite demeanor would ease the tension and encourage conversation. Freya did say Earth. So am I in the same Earth I just left? But then why would she... oh what am I thinking expecting anything simple with my kin.

She smirks, "And if you could at all manage it, we appear to be short one Asgardian. Did he happen to arrive before us? Tall, blonde, overly fond of lightning, not the sort that is easily misplaced."

Hemlock's gaze floats between each of the new folk in this dwelling.
Keiko's smile get even bigger as she is nearly bouncing up and down, "Sqeeee your just so cute, talking so formal! She smells like flowers. Keiko seems to get herself under control, "It's actually not to unusual for random dimensional events. My name is Keiko and you've landed in the headquarters of the Heroes for Hire! Mercenary group based here in MercTown. Hemlock. Such a cute name! Keiko fails to introduce anyone else as she seems happy to find new people from a different dimension, "Were are you guy coming from?" Keiko looks over the three individuals who have been dropped in their living room. Interesting group here. Quite strong. Wonder if they want to stay. They seem like they know how to have a good time.

Keiko shakes her head at the question sending her auburn hair swaying back and forth, "You're the only ones to pop in today. Sorry. But he sounds like an interesting fella."
Keiko

Do not PM this Account. Please direct all PMs to Sum of All Fears
User avatar
Daisuke
Diamond Level Patron
Posts: 158
Joined: Tue May 19, 2015 2:34 am
Location: Heroes for Hire

Re: Twenty Five or Six to Four

Post by Daisuke »

-----------------------------------
Perception: d%: [71] = 71 | 69%
JIC: 1d20: [18] = 18 | d%: [78] = 78 %
-----------------------------------
Character Sheet
  • Eye of Odin (left eye): 20/20 vision, Nightvision (600', constant, no cost)), See Aura (constant, no cost), See the Invisible (constant, no cost)
  • Swallowing Limbo [600lbs nonliving] (2/6 people)
    • Omega Knight <deceased, naked>
    • Second Omega Knight <deceased, naked>
    • <empty>
    • <empty>
    • <empty>
    • <empty>
  • Instant Wardrobe [60lbs each slot] (3/6)
  • Instant Weapon [110lbs each slot] (3/3)
    • Wilks 1000 Pulse Laser Cannon
      • x2 NG-S2 Basic Survival Pack (10 lbs each, 20 lbs total)
      • x5 All-in-One Utility Belt filled with assorted MREs, assuming 5 MREs per belt (5 lbs each, 25 lbs total)
      • x1 Overland Harness and Frame Backpack filled with x10 Standard First Aid Kits (45 lbs total)
    • CP-40 Laser Rifle

  • MDC: 297/297
  • PPE: 13/13
  • Worn:
    • Casual Clothes
    • CP-40 <slung>. Current e-clip: 12/21 shots.
    • 6 spare e-clips
TFRC-02 FreeRunner Combat Exoskeleton
Image
M.D.C. by Location:
  • Helmet: 45
  • Arms: 40 each
  • Legs: 45 each
  • Main Body: 100

Weight: 25 lbs.
Modifiers: +5% to prowl, +6 to P.S., +4 to P.P., +1 APM, +3 to initiative, +1 to parry and dodge, +3 to disarm, +6 to roll w/impact, -10% to electronic perception
Features:
  • All Features of Triax EBA
  • Molecular Adhesion Pads on hands and feet
  • Impact Absorbing Systems (p.89, MercOps)
  • Triples wearer's speed, fatigue reduced to 20% usual rate
  • Increase leap ability by 50%
  • Infrared & thermal masking

Book Reference: Kraus Imported Arms


CA-4 Dead Boy EBA
Image
M.D.C. by Location:
  • Helmet: 70
  • Arms: 60 each
  • Legs: 80 each
  • Main Body: 100

Weight: 20 lbs.
Modifiers: -5% to climb, -20% to other physical skills
Features:
  • All standard Dead Boy EBA features (p.100, WB11)

Book Reference: p.100, WB11


NG Bush Pilot Armored Jumpsuit
Image
M.D.C. by Location:
  • Flight Helmet: 35
  • Arms: 9 each
  • Legs: 20 each
  • Main Body: 25

Weight: 6 lbs.
Modifiers: None
Features:
  • Flight helmet includes built-in radio and nightvision goggles

Book Reference: p.77-78, WB33

Wilk's 1000 Pulse Laser Cannon
Image
  • Range: 3000'
  • Damage: 5D6+3 M.D. per shot or 3D4x10 M.D. per 3-pulse burst
  • Rate of Fire: Single shots or 3-pulse bursts only
  • Payload: 240 shots with a portable generator
  • Weight: 40 lbs.; portable generator weighs 70 lbs.
  • Features: W.P. Heavy M.D. Weapons; Generator recharges at 8 shots per hour; 1 hour to charge when connected to nuclear power supply
  • Modifiers: None
  • Book Reference: p.104, MercOps


CP-40 Pulse Laser Rifle
Image
  • Range: 2000'
  • Damage:
    • Low-power shot: 3D6
    • Low-power burst: 1D6x10
    • Single shot: 2D6 M.D.
    • Burst: 6D6 M.D.
  • Rate of Fire: Single shots or 3-shot bursts only
  • Payload:
    • E-Clip: 21 shots
    • LE-Clip: 30 shots
    • E-Canister: adds 60 shots to overall payload
    • Note: 30 low power shots = 1 M.D. shot
  • Weight: 9 lbs.; 4 lbs. for an E-canister
  • Features: Passive nightvision scope (2,000'), laser targeting
  • Modifiers: +1 to strike on an aimed shot
  • Book Reference: p.92, WB11

Saving Throw Bonuses (if Mimic/revert to base stats)
Eye of Odin grants +1 save vs all (not included below)
Coma/Death: 28% (+4%)
Toxins (15+): +7 (+1)
Magic (varies): +7 (+1)
Magic (Illusions): +10 (+2)
Magic (mind-altering): +15 (+7)
Lethal Poison (14+): +7 (+1)
Non-Lethal Poison (16+): +7 (+1)
Insanity (12+): +16
Psionics (12+): +7
Horror Factor: +12
Disease: +7 (+2)
Drugs (mind-altering): +8 (+6)
Possession: +13 (+6)
Conditions
  • Sustain | BOM 109 | 33 Days | Provides Air, Food, Water, only needs 2 hours of sleep per night.
  • Copy Animal Attribute: Monkey ((
    +10% prowl when climbing, +15% palming, pick pockets, and concealment, +5% acrobatics and/or gymnastics, +1 to PP
    , Swing line,
    +2d4(7) PP, +3d4(8) Spd, +1 APM, +3 auto-dodge, +10% skills requiring dexterity and prowess, prowl, gymnastics, climb, etc.
    ,
    +1 parry, +2 dodge, +6 initiative, +15% perception, Estimate distance of sound 90%, Estimate speed and direction of approach 80%, Recognize voice or sound 70%, Imitate voice 60%
    ))

"Perhaps these items would be better utilized in your collective hands," Daisuke suggests when Grant and Keiko identify the pair of Omega mage armor and pair of Omega Battlefury blades. "Seems they require channeling of magical energy to bring about their effects." He will leave it to the two mages to sort out distribution and/or storage.
Keiko wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 4:49 amKeiko buys the Gazelle for Daisuke. (-5k credits)
"I appreciate your generosity," the Arismal thanks. Despite his tenure, he seems to continue to find himself armed with but a pauper's purse when it comes to monetary funds. He is glad for Keiko's flexibility with her own money. After the transaction is complete, Daisuke matter-of-factly explains that he will temporarily store the fawn safely within a pocket dimension for the time being. And after a few comforting strokes of the gazelle's head, he reaches out with his swallowing limbo and deposits it there.
Underguard wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 7:43 pmThe trader doesn't have a manual, but you find the Beastiary to have manuals for all beasts, even those they don't have.
Before leaving, Daisuke spends some time perusing the manuals on display. If the manuals are organized by beast-size, he will preferentially read the ones for smaller animals, just to familiarize himself with what sorts of exotic beasts he may be able to summon with his ability. He will rely on his recall at a later time and makes quick work of what is there. If the store owner is not satisfied with customers perusing manuals without purchasing, he will acquiesce and purchase a few to buy himself more time to read. Given my military background and education, I never had much in the way of learning about fauna. But I may have missed out! There is quite a bit more to beasts than I had previously thought. I can understand why some dedicate their lives to their study.
Underguard wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 7:43 pmOn his walk, Daisuke does notice he seems to attracted a secret admirer that whenever he tries to corner, disappears into the crowd.
Curious. Daisuke spares in disappointed thought as he turns the corner only to lose track of his quarry. There are too many here for me to track my mystery guest. Instead, he steps back around the corner he turned and takes a moment to revisit his mind palace, pushing his recall to try to identify details that he missed at first glance. ((Heightened Sense of Recall. d%: [23] = 23 | 01-66% Remembers every detail. 67-90% Details forgotten, but important details are clear.))

=================
Underguard wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 7:43 pmNow, on the third day, Grant has returned from his brief visit to Dwoemer and Barracuda is just returning from a lap around the pool. The Heroes Haven is quiet with everyone taking some personal space and quiet time after the scrambling they've endured. Or so they hoped; the magically inclined each feel a sudden ping as a rift appears to open right inside their doorway. When the team runs in, they see three individuals standing and looking quiet confused.
Without the ability to sense dimensional disturbances, Daisuke will be late to the party. It won't be until the sound of new voices trips his heightened sense of hearing that he will head toward the entryway to investigate. Despite his tardiness, he will eavesdrop as best he can as he casually makes his way.
Hemlock wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 8:35 pm"...we appear to be short one Asgardian."
"Sir Ronith," Daisuke beckons from the hallway, calling back toward their cyberknight leader, "someone is here inside the Haven looking for an Asgardian!"

The Arismal will finish making his way to the gathering and make his own introduction after a moment of scrutiny from his Eye of Odin ((constant: See Aura, See Invisible)). "Greetings. I am Daisuke. Daisuke Hamamatsu." he says, "Point of order, please be aware that you are trespassing. Perhaps if you elaborated on what you were doing and where you were prior to being 'unexpectedly brought here', that would help unravel the mystery."
User avatar
Hemlock
Posts: 57
Joined: Fri Feb 24, 2023 11:28 am

Re: Does Anybody Really Know What Time It is?

Post by Hemlock »

((rolls carried over))

Hemlock's amusement bubbles over as the feline figure bursts into the room, practically bouncing. She feels she can't help but be charmed by the Keiko's bubbly nature. Indeed, it is a strong reminder of the playful faerie folk she grew up with.
Keiko wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 4:49 am "My name is Keiko and you've landed in the headquarters of the Heroes for Hire! Mercenary group based here in MercTown. Hemlock. Such a cute name![/b]
Hemlock finds Keiko instantly intriguing, her excitable energy matching her own mischievous streak. "Thank you," Hemlock smirks. "You know I never found out who named me thus, but it fits rather well I think."

She turns to Gloriosa and Lillith, "The Heroes for Hire, well it sounds like we're in the right sort of place doesn't it?"

"My two friends here are..." Alas her introduction is cut short when Daisuke enters and speaks of trespassing.

As Daisuke enters Hemlock's eyes flitter to the newcomer.
Daisuke wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 9:31 am "Greetings. I am Daisuke. Daisuke Hamamatsu." he says, "Point of order, please be aware that you are trespassing. Perhaps if you elaborated on what you were doing and where you were prior to being 'unexpectedly brought here', that would help unravel the mystery."
Ah. So introductions for my friends will have to wait a moment. Why couldn't Freya have dropped us at the door? Because this is far more amusing I'll wager.

Hemlock can't help but make a face. Indeed, having been teleported by Freya with minimal explanation, she hardly feels responsible for the impromptu arrival. Assured in her own power, she doesn't feel in any danger from a bewildered collection of heroes, and also sees the humor in the situation.

"Ah, gods and explanations," she replies, a playful lilt in her voice. "Not our strong suit, I'm afraid. If you could point me to the nearest exit, I'd be happy to un-trespass myself. Though let me assure you, Freya and advice rarely see eye-to-eye, especially regarding portals and manners." She casts a mock-exasperated glance skyward. "Drop me right into their living space? I imagine they're all watching and enjoying the show over a round of drinks!"

Seeing Daisuke's serious expression, Hemlock decides a longer explanation is warranted. "Very well Daisuke Hamamatsu of the Heroes for Hire," she begins, a mischievous glint in her eyes. "We three hail from different realms, as diverse as the delightful Keiko and yourself, it seems. I, Hemlock, come from Asgard, though I spent my years in the wild forests, far from the grand halls of mead and dimensional rifts of questionable accuracy. Drawn by a desire to aid the faerie folk of Earth, I encountered these two companions. One quest led to another, and soon we were on a path to a lost city called Seattle. But alas, before reaching our destination, Freya, in her usual cryptic manner, whisked us to Asgard for a mere thirty-one word explanation before flinging us through dimensions, landing, quite unexpectedly, in your living room."

Hemlock pauses, raising an eyebrow. "So, there you have it. And what thirty-one glorious words came from the goddess herself you ask?"

Impersonation (specific person) 90%: 1d100: [78] = 78 (SUCCESS) <-- Imitate the tone of Lady Freya's voice

In a divine voice, with all the seriousness, nobility and seductiveness that comes with the goddess of sex and war, Hemlock imitates Freya. "You are needed elsewhere; there are great powers moving on Earth, and you have a part to play. Now go, you will find a new home when you leave this place."

The ancient godling chuckles to herself. "She does it far better than I ever could, you should have seen the real thing." A mischievous idea comes to mind. "I suppose that's possible. I could rift you all to Asgard if you wish. Mind you," Hemlock pauses and makes a face. "I might aim for Freya's own living quarters just to return the favor."

Invoke Trust/Intimidate 95%: 1d100: [77] = 77 (SUCCESS)
The Road goes ever on and on
Spell Strength +10 (victims need 22 to save vs. Hemlock's magic)
Senses: Intelligent presences and manned surveillance systems (100 ft/90% chance), and Rifts (350 miles).

M.D.C.: 719/719
,
P.P.E.: 852/870
,
I.S.P.: 212/268
,
Nightvision (200'), See Invisible.
User avatar
Keiko
Posts: 160
Joined: Fri Feb 07, 2020 3:44 pm

Re: Does Anybody Really Know What Time It is?

Post by Keiko »

**Rolls Held Over**
Daisuke wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 9:31 am "Perhaps these items would be better utilized in your collective hands," Daisuke suggests when Grant and Keiko identify the pair of Omega mage armor and pair of Omega Battlefury blades. "Seems they require channeling of magical energy to bring about their effects." He will leave it to the two mages to sort out distribution and/or storage.
Keiko wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 4:49 amKeiko buys the Gazelle for Daisuke. (-5k credits)
"I appreciate your generosity," the Arismal thanks. Despite his tenure, he seems to continue to find himself armed with but a pauper's purse when it comes to monetary funds. He is glad for Keiko's flexibility with her own money. After the transaction is complete, Daisuke matter-of-factly explains that he will temporarily store the fawn safely within a pocket dimension for the time being. And after a few comforting strokes of the gazelle's head, he reaches out with his swallowing limbo and deposits it there.
Underguard wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 7:43 pmThe trader doesn't have a manual, but you find the Beastiary to have manuals for all beasts, even those they don't have.
Before leaving, Daisuke spends some time perusing the manuals on display. If the manuals are organized by beast-size, he will preferentially read the ones for smaller animals, just to familiarize himself with what sorts of exotic beasts he may be able to summon with his ability. He will rely on his recall at a later time and makes quick work of what is there. If the store owner is not satisfied with customers perusing manuals without purchasing, he will acquiesce and purchase a few to buy himself more time to read. Given my military background and education, I never had much in the way of learning about fauna. But I may have missed out! There is quite a bit more to beasts than I had previously thought. I can understand why some dedicate their lives to their study.
Keiko smiles warmly and takes one of the blades as it's offered. "Thanks Daisuke. Here I know how to pay you back. It's not much but let me pay for your gazelle. It's the least I can do right now." Keiko leaves Daisuke to the rest of his shopping.

Hemlock wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 11:40 am
Daisuke wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 9:31 am "Greetings. I am Daisuke. Daisuke Hamamatsu." he says, "Point of order, please be aware that you are trespassing. Perhaps if you elaborated on what you were doing and where you were prior to being 'unexpectedly brought here', that would help unravel the mystery."
Ah. So introductions for my friends will have to wait a moment. Why couldn't Freya have dropped us at the door? Because this is far more amusing I'll wager.

Hemlock can't help but make a face. Indeed, having been teleported by Freya with minimal explanation, she hardly feels responsible for the impromptu arrival. Assured in her own power, she doesn't feel in any danger from a bewildered collection of 'Heroes', and also sees the humor in the situation.
Keiko's face scrunches up and her ears move back in irritation as Daisuke interrupts the introductions. She then elbows him in the side, "Be nice! Remember we were just trespassing in a whole other dimension until recently. It's always better to start with a nice welcome to a new area. Beside I'm sure they didn't ask to get dropped off in our living room." Keiko sounds like she speaks from experience with dimensional travel.
Hemlock wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 11:40 am "Ah, gods and explanations," she replies, a playful lilt in her voice. "Not our strong suit, I'm afraid. If you could point me to the nearest exit, I'd be happy to un-trespass myself. Though let me assure you, Freya and advice rarely see eye-to-eye, especially regarding portals and manners." She casts a mock-exasperated glance skyward. "Drop me right into their living space? I imagine they're all watching and enjoying the show over a round of drinks!"

Seeing Daisuke's serious expression, Hemlock decides a longer explanation is warranted. "Very well Daisuke Hamamatsu of the Heroes for Hire," she begins, a mischievous glint in her eyes. "We three hail from different realms, as diverse as the delightful Keiko and yourself, it seems. I, Hemlock, come from Asgard, though I spent my years in the wild forests, far from the grand halls of mead and dimensional rifts of questionable accuracy. Drawn by a desire to aid the faerie folk of Earth, I encountered these two companions. One quest led to another, and soon we were on a path to a lost city called Seattle. But alas, before reaching our destination, Freya, in her usual cryptic manner, whisked us to Asgard for a mere thirty-one word explanation before flinging us through dimensions, landing, quite unexpectedly, in your living room."

Hemlock pauses, raising an eyebrow. "So, there you have it. And what thirty-one glorious words came from the goddess herself you ask?"

Impersonation (specific person) 90%: 1d100: [78] = 78 <-- Imitate the tone of Lady Freya's voice

"You are needed elsewhere; there are great powers moving on Earth, and you have a part to play. Now go, you will find a new home when you leave this place."
Keiko giggles when Hemlock mentions, Dimensional Rifts of Questionable Accuracy. Keiko smiles warmly following along as Hemlock say her piece. "Interesting! Short tale, but all the same. The Goddess just plucked you up and dropped you in our living room. I'm sure they are getting a good laugh about it. Keiko's tone shifts away from jovial to slightly more serious, "Though. I doubt she would have placed you here for a mere laugh the Goddess of Magic, War, Cats and Witchcraft is not so playful. It is interesting you show up here. If you want to leave the door is over there," Kieko points to the door, "However I would like to hear more of you journey and maybe find out why you ended up here with us. Keiko motions over to the living room furniture and her tone shifts back to being bubbly as her tail flicks back and forth in anticipation of conversation, "And maybe we can get know each other better. I bet we could be good friends, hehe." Keiko tilts her head to the right as she smiles as she take a seat, "So you were introducing your companions before we were interrupted. I can go first. You already met Daisuke. Keiko waves over the others assuming they have made it to the room, "That's Grant. This is our leader Sir Ronith. And then we have Barracuda. Oh looks like you just finished a swim. And you didn't invite me? Keiko's face puffs out in a pout, "You're making it up to me later." Keiko switches back to Hemlock so quickly one could almost get whiplash. "So did she say anything else? Sounds cryptic and ominous.
Hemlock wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 11:40 am The ancient godling chuckles to herself. "She does it far better than I ever could, you should have seen the real thing." A mischievous idea comes to mind. "I suppose that's possible. I could rift you all to Asgard if you wish. Mind you," Hemlock pauses and makes a face. "I might aim for Freya's own living quarters just to return the favor."
Keiko practically bounces out of her seat, "Really? I'd love to go! The ultimate switch-a-roo! I love seeing what the different dimensions have to offer. I don't know if it will compare to our last excursion though. I doubt anything can compare to encountering a different version of yourself. What an experience let me tell you!"


Keiko looks over at Ronith. Threat to the world. He's going to jump at it. Keiko's smile is still pleasantly affixed to her face as she addresses their leader, "Great powers moving on Earth huh. I'm assuming you're going to want to look into it. Can we please get paid this time if we do look into it?"
Keiko

Do not PM this Account. Please direct all PMs to Sum of All Fears
User avatar
Grant Latham
Diamond Level Patron
Posts: 581
Joined: Mon Jun 29, 2015 5:25 pm
Location: Heroes For Hire - PC
Contact:

Re: Does Anybody Really Know What Time It is?

Post by Grant Latham »

New Perception: 81% vs 1d100: [40] = 40
JIC: 1d20: [8] = 8 , 1d100: [35] = 35
Constant Abilities
Character Sheet
  • See the Invisible, including spirits and Astral Beings
  • Sense Ley Line: 94%
  • Sense Ley Line Nexus 104%
  • Sense a Rift: Automatic | 160mi
  • Sense Magic in Use: 1100'
  • Half Damage from magical cold, heat, and fire
  • Immune to Possession
  • Regenerate 2d6 M.D.C. per minute
  • Fatigues at half normal rate, hold breath up to 3 minutes
  • Base Spell Strength: 15
  • Spell Range doubled
  • Spells, psionic attacks, drugs, and disease that cause confusion, dizziness, or dull the senses are half as effective (penalties and duration)
  • Silver and 90% pure iron weapons inflict their S.D.C. equivalent damage in M.D.C. Rune weapons and holy weapons do double damage. Suffers double damage from Ley Line Storms
  • Turn Invisible at will (Simple)
Stats
  • M.D.C.: 101/101
  • I.S.P.: 98/98
  • P.P.E.: 710/710
  • Lord Magus Armor • Main Body: 50/50 Head: 45/45 Arms: 15/15 Legs:30/30
| 10 PPE| BOM 109 | 30 Days | Provides Air, Food, Water, only needs 2 hours of sleep per night.

120 PPE | BOM 140 | 63 Days | 1100 PPE


Dwoemer

The ways of the Three are inscrutable. Having turned in his report, he thought he would have been told to wait and would have had to tell the story directly to the three, but it was barely more than a day before a lower triumvirate of mages thanked him for his report and sent him on his way. Hopefully other sojourners like myself will report in if they find any of the wells being constructed in our dimension. Forewarned, forearmed.

Finding out that his boots were ready and worked as intended fills Grant with an unexpected inner joy. As he had been told many times in his initial training, he's now considered a creature of magic and that would impact his thoughts and actions, but on this day, all that is forgotten. The boots on his feet go flying as he pulls out his treasure and puts them on. Perfected Fit! He jumps up and walks around the room making sure they don't pinch or otherwise irritate his feet. He focuses his energy and activates the boots with a small click of the heels "Here I go!" He looks out at a roof across the street through a window, and he's there. Turning he sees a spire with a little ledge, and he's there. By the time the duration of the magic expires a minute later, he's popped miles around Dweomer. Activating the boots again, he takes a straighter path back to Taking Flight Techno-wizardry, and comes back in the more conventual way. He says to everyone in the room, "They work perfectly! The energy cost is exactly where I was hoping it would be. Worth every penny, thank you!" He packs up his old boots, and like everyone who's ever bought a new pair of shoes, walks out with a slight strut, daring anyone to question his fashion choices.


Heroes' Haven

Finally returning home, it's not long before the curse of unlikely coincidences that befall the Heroes 4 Hire happens again as he senses a rift open up in the building. Coming out of his room, he sees the trio of new arrivals. Noting that they are all still alive and Sir Ronith hasn't drawn his blade, Grant holds off any defensive magic. With a smirk on his face, Grant's first words are, "Zoe! It's for you." He casts See Aura using the power of the ley line running through the residence and takes a look at the newcomers.

Grant is wearing a pair of jeans a blue and green checkered shirt with rolled up sleeves, and his new boots, can't forget those! A ball of energy floats up near his head. The mage leans up against the doorway as he considers what he's learned from their auras. At Keiko's introduction, he waves and gives a simple, "Hello." Well, if anything is a buzz word around here it's Asgard. Based on their auras and arrival, it's probably all true. Though they don't seem to know what great powers are stirring, I suppose it just means the messenger got lost and will be here in a few minutes.
Grant Latham - Owner/Operator - Latham Transport - Providing fast delivery through a treacherous wasteland....by not going through it!Explorer Point Record
Info
M.D.C.: 97/[color=#FF00000]97[/color] • P.P.E.: 656/656 • I.S.P.: 94/94 • Running: 80'/action

Constant Special Abilities
• Sense Ley Line: 89% | 100mi • Sense Ley Line Nexus: 99% • Sense a Rift: Automatic | 1500mi • Sense Magic in Use: 1000'

Equipped Gear of Note
MA-2 TW Combat Mage Armor • Main Body: 50/50 • Armor of Ithan: 50/50 [Off]MP-6 Firebolt Pistol • Alien Submachine-gun
6'x6' Canvas Mat - rolled and slung over shoulder by an adjustable strap.
User avatar
Gloriosa
Posts: 21
Joined: Tue Apr 18, 2023 3:52 pm

Re: Does Anybody Really Know What Time It is?

Post by Gloriosa »

Perception: 1d100: [18] = 18 /29%
JIC: 1d20: [2] = 2 / 1d100: [52] = 52

"Well that was a pretty lady. So... if we're not in a volcano and we're not in a giant room, where are we?"

Keiko's appearance answers most questions he may have had so he introduces himself with a firm handshake. "Hey Keiko, my name's Gloriosa. I don't usually look like this, but don't I look awesome? Check this out." He flexes a bicep and wiggles his eyebrows.
"Only Image can do this. Just like the holovids. Anyway, how long have you been a cat and is it true that cats like cow milk? Not even the same species. So weird."

"Is it MerkTown because Merkenaries? Hemlock, what's a Merkenary?" Gloriosa looks around the front room for any interesting stuff because stuff is cool.

"Oh wait, you're right. Arvid is missing. I hope he's OK. But at least we've got my bee from another tree, Lilith!"
Hemlock wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 11:40 am"The Heroes for Hire, well it sounds like we're in the right sort of place doesn't it?"
"I mean, it depends on who hires them really. But yeah! I like it!"

Daisuke and Grant's respective See Auras will reveal a medium level of experience, the presence of magic, low psychic abilities, low base P.P.E., no possessing entity, great health, and the presence of an unusual human aberration. His claim of trespassing illicits a small frown from the large man. "Can't you just like, untrespass us like Hemlock said? There was a zombie and then the ground exploded and then we were maybe in heaven and now we're here. I don't even know where here is."

But Keiko's response brings the joy back to the man's face.
Keiko wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 12:35 pm"Though. I doubt she would have placed you here for a mere laugh the Goddess of Magic, War, Cats and Witchcraft is not so playful. It is interesting you show up here. If you want to leave the door is over there," Kieko points to the door, "However I would like to hear more of you journey and maybe find out why you ended up here with us.
"Wait, Freya is the Goddess of Cats?! And you're a cat! Do you know if she drinks cow milk too?!"

He notices the ball floating above Grant's head and becomes fixated. "What is that. It's magic. What iiiiiisss it? Does it bounce?" He's got the visual part of disguise down. The mental, not so much.
User avatar
Hemlock
Posts: 57
Joined: Fri Feb 24, 2023 11:28 am

Re: Does Anybody Really Know What Time It is?

Post by Hemlock »

((Rolls carried over))

Hemlock smiles at Gloriosa's many questions, and a warmth spreads through her ancient heart. With many answers, Hemlock would often weave tales of ancient myths and marvels and today would be no different. Unless this group of strangers suddenly proved to be insane and attacked, that would put a damper on things, and Hemlock finds herself determined to do her best to be accommodating. Freya must know what she is doing.

Now most mortals might find being peppered with questions annoying. After all patience is a virtue honed over a lifetime. Yet for an ancient godling well into her millenniums patience flowed through her like the gentle current of a summer river. The odd pairing between immortal godling and dragon hatchling was a good one.
Gloriosa wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 8:04 pm "Only Image can do this. Just like the holovids. Anyway, how long have you been a cat and is it true that cats like cow milk? Not even the same species. So weird."
Hemlock nods in understanding. "As long as possible I hope. Feline forms are my favourite." She considers telling the legend of cats being secret moon worshippers. She never did get around to testing whether moonlight actually tastes like cream... which might prove some truth to the tale. But alas the godling decides raising such a question not might offend Keiko. After all, we only just met. She's not about to tell powerful feline secrets right away is she?

Gloriosa wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 8:04 pm "Is it MerkTown because Merkenaries? Hemlock, what's a Merkenary?" Gloriosa looks around the front room for any interesting stuff because stuff is cool.
And Heroes for Hire. Folk who want to do good, but expect payment?

"You have the right of it Gloriosa, but it's Mercenary not Merkenary. Now, you'd think a town named after "Mercenaries" would be crawling with gruff sellswords and taverns reeking of stale ale and a complete and utter lack of hygiene. But look at this lovely dwelling! These 'Heroes for Hire'," she turns to Daisuke and winks, "let's just say your name paints a certain picture. I am guessing Heroes, yes, but with a healthy dose of pragmatism. You're not above a bit of coin jingling in your pockets after saving the day, and who would blame you?"

She turns to the wider group, gesturing expansively as she recalls an Earth legend. "After all, adventuring ain't cheap, what with all the healing potions and monster-maiming weaponry. Are you more like Robin Hood's merry men? Minus the tights and questionable fashion choices of course!"

Now if this group earns good coin whilst doing good that is fine with me. I'm not all that interested in it, but Gloriosa is in dire need of a hoard.

Grant Latham wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 4:17 pm Grant is wearing a pair of jeans a blue and green checkered shirt with rolled up sleeves, and his new boots, can't forget those! A ball of energy floats up near his head. The mage leans up against the doorway as he considers what he's learned from their auras. At Keiko's introduction, he waves and gives a simple, "Hello."
Gloriosa wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 8:04 pm He notices the ball floating above Grant's head and becomes fixated. "What is that. It's magic. What iiiiiisss it? Does it bounce?" He's got the visual part of disguise down. The mental, not so much.
When Grant's See Aura spell probe's Hemlock, her Automatic Mind Block snaps into place barring any reading of psychic abilities, the level of P.P.E., or possession. Hemlock laughs. "Curiosity piqued, I see," Hemlock's voice purrs, laced with a playful lilt. "You didn't even tell me your name and you want to probe me with a dusty old cantrip? Naughty."

Hemlock's eyes settle on Grant. There is amusement dancing in those green eyes but also a nod of respect. She assesses the stranger carefully whilst listening to Gloriosa's next question. She decides to answer this one in two ways; first to enlighten and entertain her dear draconic friend, and second to let this group know she is quite proficient in magical lore herself.

This will be fun.

"Gloriosa, my friend, that luminous blue orb above the man's head marks him as a spellcaster. And a seasoned one at that." Hemlock smiles at the mysterious magical man in blue and green. "It allows a caster to store additional magical energy for special more taxing tasks. It will follow him about, or the one whom he gifts it to. It won't bounce very well but can be burst if you know how to break it. But don't burst his bubble, I think I like him."

Gloriosa Story Time
Since it's Valentine's Day why not a love story legend?
A little lesson about persistence and ingenuity thrown in. "Most tales say Thoth invented the spell, a dull story really. My favourite is the one of a young, overzealous wizard named Beil the Bumbling. He was attempting to impress his sweetheart. Beil, bless his fumbling heart, decided to conjure a bouquet of the most dazzling flowers magic could muster. Alas, he got a little too enthusiastic with the incantation, and instead of roses, he ended up with a swirling vortex of pure magical energy.

Now, Penelope, being the stickler for tradition as she was, wasn't exactly thrilled with this blue luminous monstrosity. But Beil, ever the optimist, saw an opportunity. He spent years wrangling and shaping that chaotic mess, eventually taming it into the handy little storage spheres we see today. Sometimes the greatest discoveries are pure accident. A little magic, a little love, a dash of chaos, and a whole lot of bumbling until something just sticks."


Though I never heard whether Beil ever won over Penelope!
The Road goes ever on and on
Spell Strength +10 (victims need 22 to save vs. Hemlock's magic)
Senses: Intelligent presences and manned surveillance systems (100 ft/90% chance), and Rifts (350 miles).

M.D.C.: 719/719
,
P.P.E.: 852/870
,
I.S.P.: 212/268
,
Nightvision (200'), See Invisible.
User avatar
Keiko
Posts: 160
Joined: Fri Feb 07, 2020 3:44 pm

Re: Does Anybody Really Know What Time It is?

Post by Keiko »

**Rolls Held Over**

Gloriosa wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 8:04 pm
Keiko's appearance answers most questions he may have had so he introduces himself with a firm handshake. "Hey Keiko, my name's Gloriosa. I don't usually look like this, but don't I look awesome? Check this out." He flexes a bicep and wiggles his eyebrows.
"Only Image can do this. Just like the holovids. Anyway, how long have you been a cat and is it true that cats like cow milk? Not even the same species. So weird."
Keiko returns he handshake while giggling at some of Gloriosa's questions, "Well, Those are quite impressive muscles. Maybe they should start calling your Big G. Although I don't know if it's fair to say they're yours if this isn't your true form as you say. Keiko winks at him as she leans a little closer, "I'm not sure about milk I've never had any. I prefer a good brandy myself." Keiko looks back to the other H4H members conspiratorially and smiles. Not her normal smile, but her "I just got a really evil idea" smile.

Charm: 1d100: [66] = 66 /55% (Charm for the below story of Lies. Lol. Damn, Almost, )
When Keiko looks back to Gloriosa her smile is back to it's warm joyfulness, but she does have a glint in her eyes, "Well found me out didn't you? I guess I can't pull the wool over your eyes, they're just too good." Keiko places the back of her hand on her forehead in a dramatic fashion, "I've been stuck like this ever since my cruel ex-husband transformed me into this. His depravity knew no bounds. I used to be beautiful and elegant with fair skin and long flowing locks, but now look at me...But! These wonderful people took me in and gave me a better purpose. Now I work with them to one day find a way to fix my situation and restore myself!" Keiko triumphantly pumps her hand in the air. Keiko looks back to the others and tries her best to keep her laughter in.

When Hemlock is finished with her story, Keiko nods her head and give a small applause, "Quite the story teller aren't you? It was wonderful."
Keiko

Do not PM this Account. Please direct all PMs to Sum of All Fears
User avatar
Grant Latham
Diamond Level Patron
Posts: 581
Joined: Mon Jun 29, 2015 5:25 pm
Location: Heroes For Hire - PC
Contact:

Re: Does Anybody Really Know What Time It is?

Post by Grant Latham »

(rolls carried)

Lore: D-Bees 134% vs 1d100: [14] = 14 | What tell-tale signs are there about what the three really are.
Lore: Monsters & Demons 139% vs 1d100: [23] = 23 | What tell-tale signs are there about what the three really are.
Lore: Faeries & Creatures of Magic 134% vs 1d100: [41] = 41 | What tell-tale signs are there about what the three really are.


Shape changer. Grant thinks as Glorisa mentions that it is not it's normal shape. A litany of shape-changing creatures flits through his mind. Despite the elder appearance, it acts like a child. His eyes flit to Hemlock's who despite her and Keiko getting on like peas and carrots seems to be staring at him. She seems to be the leader of this trio. His eyes flick again towards the third person, It's a giant insect, a bee? I wonder if she is able to speak perhaps she is only able to communicate telepathically, I would think mandibles would make it particularly difficult.

His eyes comes back to Hemlock as she comments on him examining her magically. Definitely not human. Obviously has magical capabilities despite the lack of information in the aura. The matching ball of glowing magical energy next to her is a dead give away.He gives a slight bow towards Hemlock, "Trust and verify as they say. As Keiko said, my name is Grant."

When Gloriosa mentions the Energy Sphere at his shoulder, he starts to speak but stops as Hemlock decides to answer for him. He nods, "Yes, that's correct, it's the same kind of sphere that is floating around your friend Hemlock's head. We ourselves have only recently returned home, and it was from a place where access to ley lines was restricted." He reaches up and pats the ball and shrugs, "A bit of insecurity on my part now that we are back home, but it's a comfort."
Grant Latham - Owner/Operator - Latham Transport - Providing fast delivery through a treacherous wasteland....by not going through it!Explorer Point Record
Info
M.D.C.: 97/[color=#FF00000]97[/color] • P.P.E.: 656/656 • I.S.P.: 94/94 • Running: 80'/action

Constant Special Abilities
• Sense Ley Line: 89% | 100mi • Sense Ley Line Nexus: 99% • Sense a Rift: Automatic | 1500mi • Sense Magic in Use: 1000'

Equipped Gear of Note
MA-2 TW Combat Mage Armor • Main Body: 50/50 • Armor of Ithan: 50/50 [Off]MP-6 Firebolt Pistol • Alien Submachine-gun
6'x6' Canvas Mat - rolled and slung over shoulder by an adjustable strap.
User avatar
Hemlock
Posts: 57
Joined: Fri Feb 24, 2023 11:28 am

Re: Does Anybody Really Know What Time It is?

Post by Hemlock »

(rolls carried over)
Grant Latham wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 9:00 am He gives a slight bow towards Hemlock, "Trust and verify as they say. As Keiko said, my name is Grant."

When Gloriosa mentions the Energy Sphere at his shoulder, he starts to speak but stops as Hemlock decides to answer for him. He nods, "Yes, that's correct, it's the same kind of sphere that is floating around your friend Hemlock's head. We ourselves have only recently returned home, and it was from a place where access to ley lines was restricted." He reaches up and pats the ball and shrugs, "A bit of insecurity on my part now that we are back home, but it's a comfort."
Hemlock's laughter ripples through the room. "Trust and verify, eh? A wise motto," she muses and nods.

"Although," she adds, "considering I arrived unannounced into your home, understandable."

She pauses, savoring the name "Grant" on her tongue. "I've never known a Grant before, a good omen," she decides, her whimsical gleam intensifying. I've never really been part of a team before. Well, not until recently. I wonder if this team is going to be a long term thing? I heard about teams that become like families. Now that would be very interesting. I think that's what Odin had in mind when sending me out of Asgard. Faeries are fun, and I love them to bits, but another three thousand years in the woods won't broaden my horizons all that much.

"Freya," Hemlock ponders out loud, her voice soothing in a way that hopefully cuts through any remaining tension, ",was as I said, tight-lipped about the impending doom. But," she pauses, raising a perfectly arched eyebrow, "perhaps the power assembled before us speaks volumes itself, wouldn't you say?"

"Yes, perhaps more complete introductions are best. I'll go first." Hemlock straightens, her stance suddenly regal despite her casual attire.

Even without words, her attire is telling. There are no unnecessary embellishments adorning the garment. Its beauty lay in its simplicity, speaking of practicality and freedom. It is a loose tunic, cinched at the waist with a simple cord. It skims her figure without clinging, allowing for unhindered movement. The sleeves, gathered just above the elbow, reveal lean, sun-kissed arms, of the sort that might spend long days tending gardens rather than wielding power. Her delicate hands wear a number of rings, presumably talismans of the sort Grant is well familiar with. There are also several melee weapons at her belt.

"My upbringing was far from what is considered conventional in Asgard," she starts, her voice taking on her storytelling lilt, "I spent countless centuries not amidst the revelry of Odin's Hall, but amongst the whispering leaves and mischievous creatures of the Asgardian Wood. They call me Lady of the Wood, Keeper of the Forest, Protector, and yes," she winks at Keiko, "Chief Gardener."

With that the godling drops her mind block, and Grant sees her aura. He spies a very high level of experience, the presence of magic and high psychic abilities along with a high P.P.E. base. She is completely well, and not at all disturbed by any form of possessing entities. Whatever she is, it certainly isn't human, a spark of divinity perhaps?

"Grant, you or I could drop truth spells into the room if that makes you more comfortable," she winks. If Grant actually wants this, she casts Words of Truth into the room.

"I am very experienced in spell and mindcraft, and also not bad with a bow or gardener's fork. This world is still very new to me though, so understand if I miss some sort of local custom."

"Freya wouldn't bring me here to face a mere inconvenience," Hemlock continues with a calculating look.

"Who is next? The more impressive your own credentials are, I'll wager the greater the threat will be. I hope it is only of monumental proportions, not mythical."

She looks to Gloriosa and Lillith, trusting them to tell their own tales when they are ready. The same with the Heroes.

Well this all seems to be going well so far.

Her eyes rest on Sir Ronith. The stoic, grouchy and powerful elfin leader of this group? Oh I hope I'm wrong. Let him be a singer who delights in woodland frivolity! It would mean we aren't in for such a bad fight after all.
The Road goes ever on and on
Spell Strength +10 (victims need 22 to save vs. Hemlock's magic)
Senses: Intelligent presences and manned surveillance systems (100 ft/90% chance), and Rifts (350 miles).

M.D.C.: 719/719
,
P.P.E.: 852/870
,
I.S.P.: 212/268
,
Nightvision (200'), See Invisible.
User avatar
Lilith
Posts: 9
Joined: Thu Nov 09, 2023 12:34 pm

Re: Does Anybody Really Know What Time It is?

Post by Lilith »

Perception: 1d100: [14] = 14 / 41%
JiC d100: 1d100: [62] = 62 ; JiC d20: 1d20: [4] = 4

Some characters can not shake their ancestors' nighttime sleep cycle. The character's internal clock is backward, being awake and alert at night, and sleepy and dull during the day. No matter what, the character is just not as sharp during the day as they are at night even if they force themself to sleep during the night and function during the day. -2 to initiative, -1 to strike & dodge, and -5% to all skills during the day time.


General Level: Low
Presence of Magic: Yes
Presence of Psychic Abilities: Yes, High
Base P.P.E.: High?
Possessed: No
Unusual Human Aberration: Not human


Lilith is pretty much speechless from the series of events that have occurred in fairly rapid succession. First a volcanic eruption, then an... assignment? from a probable goddess, and now apparently she was trespassing? It takes a moment for her to even get her bearings, despite being in a familiar place, though not this particular part of MercTown. I just left here, too... Oh, and my car is stuck out north for who knows how long. Great. At the very least, she has the possessions she has on her.

In the time it takes her to sort through her thoughts and recent events, a good amount of the conversation between Hemlock and the H4H members has already occurred. She is, however, fully aware of when a spell is cast. One of her hands twitches towards her weapons at that, but she pauses as she catches the continuing talk.
Hemlock wrote:Hemlock laughs. "Curiosity piqued, I see," Hemlock's voice purrs, laced with a playful lilt. "You didn't even tell me your name and you want to probe me with a dusty old cantrip? Naughty."

Hemlock's eyes settle on Grant.
Ah, that. Interesting she called him out on it, but not when I performed the same on her. Because I was introduced before, maybe? Still, it gets her to relax slightly as the powerful being and Grant converse. Playing catch-up, she listens intently to gather what she can while missing part of the context, her wings buzzing once in frustration at her own distraction. I was trained better than to be distracted by magical shenanigans.
Hemlock wrote:"Freya," Hemlock ponders out loud, her voice soothing in a way that hopefully cuts through any remaining tension, ",was as I said, tight-lipped about the impending doom. But," she pauses, raising a perfectly arched eyebrow, "perhaps the power assembled before us speaks volumes itself, wouldn't you say?"
Lilith tilts her head slightly, before pausing and straightening her head. Freya. Must be the name of whoever transported us. I'll have to ask more later, it sounds like Hemlock knows her, or at least of her.
Hemlock wrote:"Yes, perhaps more complete introductions are best. I'll go first." Hemlock straightens, her stance suddenly regal despite her casual attire.
Lilith listens to Hemlock's second (for her) description of herself quietly, and steps forward a bit once she's done. "I suppose I'll go next. I'm Lilith, I was just contracted by Northern Gun until I was brought here with these two by, well, divine intervention, I guess." Glancing towards the godling, she continues carefully, "As for what I can do, I'm capable. Not as impressive as the ancient Asgardian, but I can use psionics and magic and fight, if that's what this is all leading up to."

Heroes for Hire don't sound like the type to be very accepting of my past. Mystic Knights don't typically get along with hero sorts. Her wings buzz in mild annoyance once again as she places a hand on her hip while another pair of arms cross over her chest. Figures I'd grow a conscience in time to be roped into all this and have to dance around everyone.

Passed! - Invoke Trust: 1d100: [32] = 32 / 35% - Try and give a decent first impression and dissuade any further interest into her past.
Passed! - Charm: 1d100: [23] = 23 / 40% - Try not to look too much like an afterthought next to a godling and dragon.
Lilith
Buzzing along the path of redemption.

Personal Status
P.P.E.: 133 / 133
I.S.P.: 47 / 47
Carapace M.D.C.: 240 / 240
Wrangler Riding Armor w/Long-coat
M.D.C. by Location
  • Helmet: 50 / 50
  • Right Arm: 44 / 44
  • Left Arm: 44 / 44
  • Right Leg: 53 / 53
  • Left Leg: 53 / 53
  • Main Body: 113 / 113
Modifier: -5% movement penalty
Weapons & Attacks
Energy Bolts: 4D6 M.D.; Range: 1,000' (2,000' at additional P.P.E. cost)
Battle Fury Blade: 6D6 M.D.; Can activate Battle Fury for 3 minutes, increasing damage to 2D4*10 M.D., attacking twice per APM used (second attack is parried at a -5), and gaining a 100 M.D.C. magical suit of armor.
Flaming Dagger: 2D6 M.D.; lasts 6 minutes per activation.
Constant Effects
Gives the character the ability to hear very faint sounds (light footsteps, small animals breathing). The character can also overhear conversation at a much greater distance than is normally possible. + 1 on initiative.

Can see double the usual distance and detail of normal human vision.

Range: 1,000'; must be starlight or some other light source available. If in a completely blacked out area, a cave for example, nothing will be visible.

The Mystic Knight is impervious to lasers, ion blasts, particle beams, plasma bolts, electricity, fire, heat and radiation.
Magically created energy and ley line storms inflict half damage.
Rune weapons, holy weapons, and most magical weapons of all kinds do full damage. Likewise, ordinary swords, clubs, spears, etc., as well as bullets, arrows, Vibro-Blades, thrown rocks, falls, punches and most kinetic based attacks, do full damage.
Applies to all armor worn as well, as it is both an inherit trait and automatically generated field that surrounds the Mystic Knight.

The Mystic Knight is able to feel whether there is a ley line within the area of their sensing abilities, 30 miles (+10 miles).

The knight will automatically feel the sensation of a Rift opening or closing anywhere within 70 miles (+10 miles) of them. Although they cannot tell exactly where this Rift is, the knight knows if it is near or far and whether it is big or small. Note: When actually on a ley line, the Mystic Knight will know exactly where the Rift is located and can sense one where it is, as long as it is on the ley line or a connecting line.

: The expenditure of magic in the form of a spell, Rifting, or Techno-Wizardy can be felt, if not seen, up to 300' (+100') away. The Mystic Knight will not know the location nor be able to trace it, but they will feel its energy and know that magic is being used in the area of their sensing range. Note: This does not include the use of psionic powers.
Sixth Sense
The Sixth Sense is a power that gives the psychic a precognitive flash of imminent danger to themself or somebody near them (within 90'). The character will not know what the danger is or where it will come from, nor who it will be directed at when in a group. All they know is that something life threatening will happen within the next 60 seconds! The Sixth Sense is triggered automatically, without the consent of the psychic, whenever their life is in great peril or the life of somebody they greatly care about (friend, partner, loved one, etc.). The Sixth Sense is only triggered by an unexpected, life threatening event (a trap or ambush is within 90' or a flash flood is rushing their way) which is already set into motion and will happen any second. The power can not be called upon at will to sense for traps or ambush. Instead, it works like an automatic reflex. If the character has used all their I.S.P. the Sixth Sense is temporarily rendered inoperative.
  • Range: 90'
  • Duration: Until the danger passes or happens. Bonuses apply only to the first round of the attack from the source of the sensed danger.
  • I.S.P.: 2
  • Saving Throw: None.
  • Bonuses: The sudden flash of insight provides the following bonuses. All bonuses apply only to the first, initial melee when the attack/danger occurs. Bonuses are lost in subsequent melee rounds after the danger is revealed. +6 on initiative roll, +2 to parry, +3 to dodge, and the character can not be surprised by a sneak attack from behind.
User avatar
Grant Latham
Diamond Level Patron
Posts: 581
Joined: Mon Jun 29, 2015 5:25 pm
Location: Heroes For Hire - PC
Contact:

Re: Does Anybody Really Know What Time It is?

Post by Grant Latham »

(rolls carried)

Grant is able to hold his mirth at Hemlock's overly dramatic behavior. Is this a bit of cat and mouse? No, more likely saber-toothed tiger and mouse. She's in a reasonably good humor now, but will she show restraint and wisdom if she is thwarted? If she is capricious, she will ultimately be a liability.

A chuckle finally escapes when Hemlock mentions casting a spell to test the veracity of everyone's statements. "No, spells like Charm, Domination, or Words of Truth are traps for the caster for a number of reasons." He holds up one hand and begins to count, touching a finger with the index finger of his other hand, "One, the spell provides no feedback as to whether the spell is actually working. A sly person could pretend to be compelled to follow orders or tell the truth. Two, truth itself is highly suspect. If the enchanted person believes something to be true, it's true as far as the spell is concerned. And three, any spell which I could cast that can be resisted by one's will," He shrugs, "I have no doubt you would be able to shrug off easily. Though, this could be an interesting line of experimentation, could one create a Words of Fact spell that is able to objectively identify what is true, or perhaps, a spell to detect falsehoods."

Still with a grin on his face at having the opportunity to discuss magic with someone. "I think we are going to have rely on an individual's actions as a measure of sincerity and good will."

He nods encouragingly towards Lilith as she introduces herself. No trouble understanding her at all, interesting. I wonder if she'd be accepted by the Xiticix? No one has ever been able to negotiate with those creatures as of yet. He looks over for Sir Ronith to see what he plans to say. Seems likely that Sir Ronith will offer them sanctuary, he let me join after all on just the word of Fixer Jones. Will see how they respond when he gives his speech on Heroes for Hire's general code of conduct.
Grant Latham - Owner/Operator - Latham Transport - Providing fast delivery through a treacherous wasteland....by not going through it!Explorer Point Record
Info
M.D.C.: 97/[color=#FF00000]97[/color] • P.P.E.: 656/656 • I.S.P.: 94/94 • Running: 80'/action

Constant Special Abilities
• Sense Ley Line: 89% | 100mi • Sense Ley Line Nexus: 99% • Sense a Rift: Automatic | 1500mi • Sense Magic in Use: 1000'

Equipped Gear of Note
MA-2 TW Combat Mage Armor • Main Body: 50/50 • Armor of Ithan: 50/50 [Off]MP-6 Firebolt Pistol • Alien Submachine-gun
6'x6' Canvas Mat - rolled and slung over shoulder by an adjustable strap.
User avatar
Daisuke
Diamond Level Patron
Posts: 158
Joined: Tue May 19, 2015 2:34 am
Location: Heroes for Hire

Re: Does Anybody Really Know What Time It is?

Post by Daisuke »

((rolls carried over))

As the discussion unfolds and it becomes clear that the ‘intruders’ are more similar to kindred spirits than not, Daisuke’s terse body language softens. When Hemlock more fully explains the events that led up to their arrival in the Haven, the Arismal is caught mentally flat-footed.
Hemlock wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 11:40 amSeeing Daisuke's serious expression, Hemlock decides a longer explanation is warranted. "Very well Daisuke Hamamatsu of the Heroes for Hire," she begins, a mischievous glint in her eyes. "We three hail from different realms, as diverse as the delightful Keiko and yourself, it seems. I, Hemlock, come from Asgard, though I spent my years in the wild forests, far from the grand halls of mead and dimensional rifts of questionable accuracy. Drawn by a desire to aid the faerie folk of Earth, I encountered these two companions. One quest led to another, and soon we were on a path to a lost city called Seattle. But alas, before reaching our destination, Freya, in her usual cryptic manner, whisked us to Asgard for a mere thirty-one word explanation before flinging us through dimensions, landing, quite unexpectedly, in your living room."

In a divine voice, with all the seriousness, nobility and seductiveness that comes with the goddess of sex and war, Hemlock imitates Freya. "You are needed elsewhere; there are great powers moving on Earth, and you have a part to play. Now go, you will find a new home when you leave this place."
This Hemlock speaks with both authority and familiarity. She references deific beings more like family and friends than praiseworthy beings of tremendous power. Perhaps she herself has a spark of divinity in her. Daisuke wonders. He then tries to confirm his hypothesis in the only way he knows how. He reaches out and attempts to mimic Hemlock. When his efforts fail, he knows that she must be supernatural in some way. Without word, the Arismal tucks away that nugget of information (that likely is obvious to others).

Her Asgardian origin and likely the one she referenced, Freya, will have significance to Sir Ronith’s ears and will bend his decision strongly one way or another. I would venture to guess that whatever task we have been set toward will not only be accepted, but also will have significant impact due to the nature of these potential allies and teammates sent our way.

It isn’t long before Hemlock confirms the spark of divinity when she shares her background history growing up in Asgard. Though he doesn’t have much in the way of understanding or empathy of what it must be like to grow up in an enchanted world, he can at least recognize (based on Sir Ronith) how powerful individuals from that world can be. Daisuke can be spotted faintly nodding once to Hemlock’s story.
Hemlock wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 3:29 pm"Who is next? The more impressive your own credentials are, I'll wager the greater the threat will be. I hope it is only of monumental proportions, not mythical."
”I am an Arismal. Formerly of the planet of the same name. My world was destroyed in a tragic faster-than-light incident that split it in twain. I was off-world with other military trainees when it happened. The remnants of my people, primarily consisting of the Arismal Defense Force that was off-world, instantly nomadic refugees, held together by our military traditions.” Daisuke explains in matter-of-fact staccato. ”Many of my people are imbued with super-powers, myself included. Primary among mine is the ability to mimic others. I was separated from my squad when in the heat of combat, trying to rescue a local leader’s daughter, I mimicked someone that turned out to be an adult dragon in the form of a mountain hermit. And when they teleported away, I impulsively tried to give chase calling upon the same ability that sent me to Rifts Earth, this world.”

”I have special operations military training. I am an alien from space. I have super-powers. I cannot wield magic or psionics unless they are innately known by someone I mimic. Heroes for Hire is my team and my family. Should you mean it harm, I will oppose you. Should you become allies or teammates, I will welcome you.” The Arismal concludes, sharing his ‘credentials’ in summary.
User avatar
Ronith
Group Leader
Posts: 662
Joined: Mon Oct 15, 2007 7:15 pm
Location: Group Leader: Heroes for Hire

Re: Does Anybody Really Know What Time It is?

Post by Ronith »

JIC: 1d20: [12] = 12 , 1d100: [5] = 5
PER: 1d100: [70] = 70 vs. 94%

After a nice, long nap Ronith has no specific tasks or goals in mind. He spent centuries hiding out on the periphery of civilization, and he long ago learned to make do without anything he didn’t already have. Instead, Ronith takes joy in the simple pleasures MercTown has to offer. A leisurely stroll on a sunny day. A hot beverage at the Job Market Café. Initially he finds his bed disconcertingly comfortable, and inwardly Ronith wonders if he should pay a visit to the Granite Hall, but he deliberately tamps down his restlessness. You’ve barely had any time to breathe, much less relax, in your old life again. The brother knights have made it this long without your in-person leadership, surely they can keep a few weeks more. You sure you’re not just looking for an excuse to run away again, old man? Somewhat bemused by how out of place he feels despite the centuries of longing to return to just that, Ronith keeps his distance from the Haven and the others for a few days while he works through his thoughts. Even so, he checks in with the others from time to time, and with Fixer- it’s been a while since the team had a paying job, and Ronith decides to use his downtime to keep his eye out for suitable jobs that won’t go against his cyber-knight principles.

Regardless of whether he’s at the Haven when the three sudden arrivals appear, Ronith will return quickly at Daisuke’s summons. Cognizant of the lack of any danger sense, he keeps his hands away from his weapons as he casts a critical eye over the trio, then activates sense evil ((-2 ISP)). While the others handle introductions, Ronith hangs back and takes a good look at the three of them- he frowns slightly at Lilith but says nothing beyond a nod at Keiko’s introduction. When the time comes, Ronith will offer only brief commentary. ”Let’s not go involving Freya just yet. I’d prefer to stay on the gods’ good side for a little while longer. I am Sir Ronith, and I am in command here. Since you seem friendly enough, I bid you be welcome- but please try to refrain from any unnecessary magic tricks.” He glances pointedly at Hemlock. ”Now then. I can’t imagine what great danger the gods might be warning you about, but I’ve heard nothing. And last I checked, Odin still knows how to get in touch with me. The Shrine of the Warrior is nearby- we could go there and try to reach Odin or one of the other Norse gods, to see what guidance they could offer. However Keiko is correct- lately our team has been busy recovering from misadventures. We need paying work. While we are mercenaries, we tend to adhere to the general spirit of the cyber-knight code as it was taught to me. In short we serve the innocent and fight evil, and ideally get paid in the process. You seem capable enough, so if it is employment you seek consider that a rough outline of the terms. Pay is split evenly, assuming we ever get some. Grant is my second, and Zoe over there can get you assigned to quarters. Anyone who wants to can join me in the dojo in an hour for a sparring match- nothing serious but it’d be a good way for me to gauge your combat capabilities. Otherwise, I’ll look forward to learning more about each of you over dinner.” Ronith frowns absently. ”You mentioned another Asgardian, I think? I do not know this Arvin you speak of, but if he was separated from you in dimensional transit then I fear there is little chance we can successfully locate him. Grant is our local expert, but otherwise I’m not sure there’s much we can do besides leave word with Fixer and the Mages’ College.”
I am better than you. You just don't know it.
Sixth Sense; 300ft Nightvision; Amplified Hearing; See the invisible (all permanent)
| BOM 109 | 10 days | Provides Air, Food, Water, only needs 2 hours of sleep per night.
No machine/m. weapon bonuses; bonus (tB) +2I/s/p, +6/8 to auto-dodge; opponents -2s/-4s if m. weapons, -2d, -1APM
ISP- 89/91; PPE- 57/57; MDC- 88/88 (self), 93/93 (cyber-armor)
Frostfang Heals: 0/4. Talismans: AoI (3/3); Invulnerability (1/3); Cleanse (3/3)
User avatar
Underguard
Dimension Master
Posts: 1112
Joined: Mon Jun 03, 2019 6:41 pm
Location: CAF, UPS and GIRLS GM - nphilip90s/ScytheNP#2513

Re: Does Anybody Really Know What Time It is?

Post by Underguard »

Conditions wrote:Current Time/Date in Merctown: Friday, October 112PA, 2:00pm
Environmental Conditions: Internal Temp; 16*C (57*F), relatively cool breeze with a bright sun.
Ley Line/Nexus Presence: Merctown Nexus within five miles.
[Earlier]

Ronith scopes out the Job Market Cafe and notes that Fixer Jones is talking to another known crew, Ronith makes a bee line for the job boards instead. Most of them appear small time for the Cyber-Knight; things he used to do to pass the time, not make a living. A pair of eager mercs, obviously green and giddy, swipe what Ronith would consider a stroll in the park; rescuing a kid down in the warrens. Another merc grabs a transport job leading up to Lazlo. Small time to the Cyber-Knight, none even reaching close to a million credits. He's got a crew to pay, and there are plenty of greenskins out there dealing with small time gigs. Ronith also notices more than a few patrons of the bar seems to be staring at him specifically, whispering to a friend here or there. His amplified hearing can tell that he apparently has a reputation among some of them, how wide spread it is remains to be seen. However Ronith doesn't get the sense he's being marked. Ronith resigns to check back with the Fixer another day and returns to the Haven, quite comfortable in his minimalistic ways.

Instead of chasing a needle in a haystack, Daisuke commits the face of the young and beautiful
Fang-Lo(s).png
to memory. Daisuke can also recall a dark, gold trimmed kimono on the woman. Daisuke is actually quite confident now that had he come face to face with his assumed admirer, he may well be speechless. Daisuke also notices that since he took the time to commit her to memory, he's lost any sign of her nearby and fails at finding her for the time being.

[Now]

To say the Heroes early afternoon was what any of them expected would be a lie as the jovial Hemlock, Gloriosa and Lilith make their introductions and receive them as well. Hemlock does an incredibly good mimicry of Freya that prompts both Lilith and Gloriosa to do a double take. Grant doesn't buy all of what they claim and looks for tells, the experienced magus has seen much. Grant is able to gauge based on the conversation that Hemlock is of the deific, a demi-god or godling most likely. Gloriosa plays their cards close, though Grant can guess he is a powerful shapechanger of some sort, and doesn't radiate evil leaving few real options. Lilith is an enigma to Grant, though appears in all rights to be what she looks like; reminding Grant of a far more appealing type of Xitixic. Notably, Lilith appears to be the most jet-lagged, not really sure how to process what just happened and hoping to avoid finer scrutiny. After some discussion and verifying of intentions, Ronith invites the three newcomers for some friendly sparring but otherwise welcomes them to the Heroes. Dinner is in just four hours, who will be cooking!?

Regardless of whether the three partake in the sparring match or not, there is only a few hours until dinner. Clocks, the Haven has clocks! Hemlock, Gloriosa and Lilith are all given pamphlets that describe Merctown and it's bylaws, and explain the Defenders pass them out like trash. There is a Mage's Guild in town that they are recommended to visit, as well as a bountiful market they can explore.

GM Note: Have fun with Dinner; go nuts. Want to get catering? Maybe entertainment? Plenty of rocker bands in Merctown.
Write out your PC's plan for a week (two tops) of furlough in Merctown; Tinkering Requests get started.
PW: CAF GM || UPS GM || GIRLS GM|| Theme Song
PCs: | Exe (PW GA) | Ronan (Spook Squad) | Venenifer (Roughnecks) | Glitch (PW GR) | Granas (PFRPG) ||
╭∩╮(︶︿︶)╭∩╮

User avatar
Hemlock
Posts: 57
Joined: Fri Feb 24, 2023 11:28 am

Re: Does Anybody Really Know What Time It is?

Post by Hemlock »

JIC: 1d20: [11] = 11 , 1d100: [6] = 6
Perception: 93% / 1d100: [51] = 51 (SUCCESS)

  • P.P.E.: 870/870
  • I.S.P.: 268/268
  • M.D.C.: 719/719



Energy Sphere: 1500 P.P.E. for 30 days
Heightened Presence Sense: constant 100ft range
Sustain: 15 days


Ronith wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 1:02 pm "Anyone who wants to can join me in the dojo in an hour for a sparring match- nothing serious but it’d be a good way for me to gauge your combat capabilities. Otherwise, I’ll look forward to learning more about each of you over dinner.” Ronith frowns absently. ”You mentioned another Asgardian, I think? I do not know this Arvin you speak of, but if he was separated from you in dimensional transit then I fear there is little chance we can successfully locate him. Grant is our local expert, but otherwise I’m not sure there’s much we can do besides leave word with Fixer and the Mages’ College.”
The godling meets Ronith's gaze as Hemlock considers Arvid's fate. Freya is fully in control of our departures, I don't feel he's in trouble.
"My heart tells me Freya has put Arvid where he needs to be at this time, but I would be interested in visiting this Mage's College."

"And sparring ... sounds delightful," she replies, her voice lilting with a hint of mischief. It makes sense. He needs to know what we're capable of. Indeed a good long while has passed since she last crossed blades, yet she was an Asgardian and a warrior spirit surely slumbered deep within, waiting to be awakened.

"Do you prefer swords, or are you open to... unconventional weaponry?" She gestures towards the enchanted gardening fork strapped to her belt, its wooden handle glints faintly with enchantment. "Just a simple enchantment to make it more durable," she winks. "Best I could manage on my own in the woods. I have a falchion too, if you'd like a more traditional challenge. Oh, can we try both? I'd like that."

On the appointed hour she follows Sir Ronith to this sparring room. Her eyes flicker to the two swords strapped across Ronith's back, their polished gleam a silent invitation to test herself.

"Those swords of yours," she says, eyeing the intricate designs etched on pommel and guard of both. "Are they family heirlooms?"

Safety first. Can't have anyone getting hurt now, that wouldn't do at all.

"Now we can't have either of us losing limbs." Hemlock chuckles at the thought. Her light laughter is a melodious sound that speaks of both ancient power and youthful enthusiasm. With a flick of her wrist, she casts a pair of armor spells, and Ronith and herself are encased in a suit of shimmering translucent armor. (Invincible Armor x2 [375 M.D.C. each, -60 P.P.E.])

A playful smirk dances on her lips and she takes the enchanted gardener's fork from her belt. "Forgive me if I'm a tad rusty," she warns. "Haven't used these in combat, oh, a few years or so. How about no magical or psionic arts, just skill against skill alone?"

What follows is a whirlwind of steel and sweat. Hemlock, despite her self-deprecating humor, moves with the grace of a forest predator, her every step measured and precise, honed by millennia of experience. Her attacks seem to
That's how the dice went! Both rounds crits towards the end!
at the round progresses, her focus growing as she gets reacquainted with the art of melee.

Her fork, far from being a mere farming tool, dances in her hand, deflecting blows and even threatening to snag Ronith's blade. Her free hand, deceptively small, holds untold strength that matches Ronith's own. It is a constant threat, ready to snatch and toss her opponent with raw supernatural power. As the sparring round concludes, Hemlock has a respect etched on her face for Ronith's skills, and offers a genuine smile.

Round 1 : with the
Image


Initiative: 1d20+15: [7]+15 = 22 (with quick draw)

APM: 11

Action 1: Reserved to entangle incoming elf sword
Action 2: Gardening fork stab 1d20+15: [16]+15 = 31 , Damage 8d6: [4, 3, 1, 3, 2, 6, 6, 1] = 26
Action 3: Gardening fork stab 1d20+15: [7]+15 = 22 , Damage 8d6: [3, 5, 1, 5, 5, 2, 1, 4] = 26
Action 4: Gardening fork stab 1d20+15: [7]+15 = 22 , Damage 8d6: [5, 4, 3, 3, 3, 3, 5, 6] = 32
Action 5: Gardening fork stab 1d20+15: [16]+15 = 31 , Damage 8d6: [5, 5, 2, 2, 3, 5, 5, 6] = 33
Action 6: Gardening fork stab 1d20+15: [5]+15 = 20 , Damage 8d6: [3, 1, 3, 5, 6, 4, 3, 4] = 29
Action 7: Gardening fork stab 1d20+15: [14]+15 = 29 , Damage 8d6: [5, 6, 1, 3, 1, 2, 5, 2] = 25
Action 8: Gardening fork stab 1d20+15: [6]+15 = 21 , Damage 8d6: [2, 3, 2, 6, 2, 1, 1, 1] = 18
Action 9: Gardening fork stab 1d20+15: [20]+15 = 35 , Damage 8d6: [2, 5, 6, 3, 2, 5, 4, 3] = 30 (CRIT)
Action 10: Gardening fork stab 1d20+15: [19]+15 = 34 , Damage 8d6: [6, 4, 2, 6, 4, 1, 4, 5] = 32 (CRIT)
Action 11: Body flip/throw 1d20+5: [8]+5 = 13

Entangle: A defender can attempt to trap the weapon of an attacker. This is done instead of parrying or dodging, and takes up one attack per melee. An entangle is successful if the defender rolls above the attacker's strike roll. It takes one attack and a roll to entangle to keep an opponent's arm or weapon entangled every melee round. In order to get free, the entangled opponent must roll a dodge against the entangle roll.
roll (substitute for parry): 1d20+15: [15]+15 = 30 , 1d20+15: [3]+15 = 18 , 1d20+15: [5]+15 = 20 , 1d20+15: [8]+15 = 23 , 1d20+15: [6]+15 = 21 , 1d20+15: [7]+15 = 22 , 1d20+15: [4]+15 = 19


Parry: 1d20+21: [20]+21 = 41 (CRIT), 1d20+21: [1]+21 = 22 (CRIT FAIL), 1d20+21: [3]+21 = 24 , 1d20+21: [1]+21 = 22 (CRIT FAIL), 1d20+21: [3]+21 = 24 , 1d20+21: [18]+21 = 39 , 1d20+21: [18]+21 = 39 , 1d20+21: [3]+21 = 24 , 1d20+21: [6]+21 = 27 , 1d20+21: [6]+21 = 27 , 1d20+21: [8]+21 = 29

Dodge: 1d20+17: [9]+17 = 26 , 1d20+17: [7]+17 = 24 , 1d20+17: [10]+17 = 27 , 1d20+17: [12]+17 = 29 , 1d20+17: [12]+17 = 29 , 1d20+17: [12]+17 = 29 , 1d20+17: [13]+17 = 30 , 1d20+17: [7]+17 = 24 , 1d20+17: [2]+17 = 19 , 1d20+17: [14]+17 = 31 , 1d20+17: [13]+17 = 30

Automatic Dodge (11 for 11APM): 1d20+6: [9]+6 = 15 , 1d20+6: [20]+6 = 26 (CRIT), 1d20+6: [9]+6 = 15 , 1d20+6: [11]+6 = 17 , 1d20+6: [2]+6 = 8 , 1d20+6: [15]+6 = 21 , 1d20+6: [19]+6 = 25 , 1d20+6: [14]+6 = 20 , 1d20+6: [8]+6 = 14 , 1d20+6: [1]+6 = 7 (CRIT FAIL), 1d20+6: [8]+6 = 14


With a playful grin, she switches to her falchion. The short, heavy blade, feels familiar in her hand. Hemlock's falchion flows like water, the blade a blur of deadly precision. Each parry a testament to her mastery of swordcraft. She fights less deceitfully than with the fork, opting instead for a style that would make Heimdall smile; smash, smash and smash!
OOC Comments
Because the mental gymnastic needed to figure out other combat moves is wearing me out! lol




Round 2: with the
Image


Initiative: 1d20+15: [17]+15 = 32 (with quick draw)

APM: 11

Action 1: Falchion strike 1d20+16: [2]+16 = 18 , Damage 8d6: [3, 2, 2, 3, 6, 3, 3, 6] = 28
Action 2: Falchion strike 1d20+16: [2]+16 = 18 , Damage 8d6: [3, 1, 5, 2, 6, 1, 5, 1] = 24
Action 3: Falchion strike 1d20+16: [13]+16 = 29 , Damage 8d6: [1, 6, 5, 3, 2, 3, 5, 5] = 30
Action 4: Falchion strike 1d20+16: [16]+16 = 32 , Damage 8d6: [6, 6, 3, 6, 4, 2, 6, 4] = 37
Action 5: Falchion strike 1d20+16: [6]+16 = 22 , Damage 8d6: [5, 6, 5, 5, 5, 5, 4, 2] = 37
Action 6: Falchion strike 1d20+16: [8]+16 = 24 , Damage 8d6: [3, 1, 6, 6, 3, 2, 3, 1] = 25
Action 7: Falchion strike 1d20+16: [6]+16 = 22 , Damage 8d6: [4, 5, 1, 6, 6, 6, 2, 3] = 33
Action 8: Falchion strike 1d20+16: [8]+16 = 24 , Damage 8d6: [2, 1, 6, 2, 5, 2, 5, 3] = 26
Action 9: Falchion strike 1d20+16: [19]+16 = 35 , Damage 8d6: [3, 6, 6, 3, 3, 3, 6, 5] = 35 (CRIT)
Action 10: Falchion strike 1d20+16: [20]+16 = 36 , Damage 8d6: [6, 3, 2, 3, 3, 1, 1, 2] = 21 (CRIT)
Action 11: Falchion strike 1d20+16: [9]+16 = 25 , Damage 8d6: [5, 3, 2, 6, 5, 1, 6, 1] = 29


Parry: 1d20+22: [2]+22 = 24 , 1d20+22: [17]+22 = 39 , 1d20+22: [4]+22 = 26 , 1d20+22: [5]+22 = 27 , 1d20+22: [16]+22 = 38 , 1d20+22: [15]+22 = 37 , 1d20+22: [15]+22 = 37 , 1d20+22: [7]+22 = 29 , 1d20+22: [12]+22 = 34 , 1d20+22: [8]+22 = 30 , 1d20+22: [8]+22 = 30

Dodge: 1d20+17: [18]+17 = 35 , 1d20+17: [11]+17 = 28 , 1d20+17: [3]+17 = 20 , 1d20+17: [2]+17 = 19 , 1d20+17: [12]+17 = 29 , 1d20+17: [19]+17 = 36 , 1d20+17: [17]+17 = 34 , 1d20+17: [11]+17 = 28 , 1d20+17: [3]+17 = 20 , 1d20+17: [9]+17 = 26 , 1d20+17: [5]+17 = 22

Automatic Dodge (11 for 11APM): 1d20+6: [20]+6 = 26 (CRIT), 1d20+6: [20]+6 = 26 (CRIT), 1d20+6: [8]+6 = 14 , 1d20+6: [10]+6 = 16 , 1d20+6: [14]+6 = 20 , 1d20+6: [6]+6 = 12 , 1d20+6: [4]+6 = 10 , 1d20+6: [19]+6 = 25 , 1d20+6: [5]+6 = 11 , 1d20+6: [14]+6 = 20 , 1d20+6: [8]+6 = 14



As the final clang of metal fades, Hemlock's face is flushed with exertion and her eyes sparkle with amusement. The godling bows with an exaggerated flourish.

"Thank you, Sir Ronith," she says in perfect Elven, her voice genuine. "That was most enjoyable."

The godling hopes the sparring session serves its purpose, not just revealing Hemlock's combat prowess, but forging a bond of camaraderie within the group.

She looks forward to dinner, and wonders what that might entail. If no one needs her, she spends the time browsing through the pamphlets that describe Merctown.
OOC Comments
Posts to the Merctown threads for the week or two off duty to follow!
The Road goes ever on and on
Spell Strength +10 (victims need 22 to save vs. Hemlock's magic)
Senses: Intelligent presences and manned surveillance systems (100 ft/90% chance), and Rifts (350 miles).

M.D.C.: 719/719
,
P.P.E.: 852/870
,
I.S.P.: 212/268
,
Nightvision (200'), See Invisible.
User avatar
Ronith
Group Leader
Posts: 662
Joined: Mon Oct 15, 2007 7:15 pm
Location: Group Leader: Heroes for Hire

Re: Does Anybody Really Know What Time It is?

Post by Ronith »

JIC: 1d20: [7] = 7 , 1d100: [39] = 39
PER: 1d100: [22] = 22 vs. 94%

Ronith keeps his smile hidden until he’s out of the café. To think, that was me a long time ago. I suppose Fixer will get the message that we’re looking for work; then again we may not even need him anymore. Perhaps word will spread and an appropriate job will find us.
Hemlock wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 5:39 pm"My heart tells me Freya has put Arvid where he needs to be at this time, but I would be interested in visiting this Mage's College."
Ronith shrugs. ”As you wish. They tend not to have much to do with the likes of me, but Grant or Keiko can show you the way.”
Hemlock wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 5:39 pm"Do you prefer swords, or are you open to... unconventional weaponry?"
Ronith smiles. I like her. Aloud he says, ”Whatever you wish. You need not fear injuring me, and I am confident that I can pull my blades adequately.”
Hemlock wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 5:39 pm"Those swords of yours," she says, eyeing the intricate designs etched on pommel and guard of both. "Are they family heirlooms?"
Ronith inclines his head to his right. ”Skyrender came to me by chance, shortly after I arrived in MercTown, formed Heroes for Hire, and accepted our first contract.” Then Ronith inclines his head to his left. ”Frostfang, however… Well, all I know for certain is that it was my father’s sword. I took it from the body of the man who murdered him, and have borne it in Odin’s honor ever since. If you are of Asgard, you may know more of it than I do.” Ronith cocks a curious eyebrow and tries not to betray the longing to learn more- anything- about his parentage by burying it under a gruff exterior.
Hemlock wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 5:39 pm "Now we can't have either of us losing limbs." A playful smirk dances on her lips and she takes the enchanted gardener's fork from her belt. "Forgive me if I'm a tad rusty," she warns. "Haven't used these in combat, oh, a few years or so. How about no magical or psionic arts, just skill against skill alone?" ]
Ronith nods. ”A sensible precaution, and I agree to your terms. I see you are quite skilled in magics- are you also psychic then?” Some sort of creature of magic or lesser deific being then. A powerful ally, either way. At Hemlock’s response Ronith nods and says ”Then you’ll likely recognize these” and summons a pair of crimson psi-blades.

Initially, Ronith is taken a little aback by the petite-looking woman's ferocious attack, but he recovers quickly and smiles, enjoying the challenge. "I would expect nothing less from a handmaiden of Freya. Clearly, you are no raw recruit." While Hemlock may have the edge in speed, Ronith has his own training and centuries of experience to draw upon. A few seconds in, Ronith abandons all pretense of going easy on Hemlock and focuses on a defensive fight equal to any of his battles to the death in the field.
Round 1
Initiative: 1d20+16: [16]+16 = 32
APM: 8
Action 1: Strike with psi-sword, 1d20+20: [12]+20 = 32 , 8d6: [2, 5, 3, 6, 2, 4, 6, 1] = 29 MD.
Action 2: Strike with psi-sword, 1d20+20: [8]+20 = 28 , 8d6: [4, 4, 5, 2, 2, 6, 2, 5] = 30 MD.
Action 3: Strike with psi-sword, 1d20+20: [5]+20 = 25 , 8d6: [2, 6, 1, 2, 4, 2, 6, 3] = 26 MD.
Action 4: Strike with psi-sword, 1d20+20: [13]+20 = 33 , 8d6: [6, 5, 6, 4, 6, 5, 2, 4] = 38 MD.
Action 5: Strike with psi-sword, 1d20+20: [19]+20 = 39 , 8d6: [3, 3, 1, 2, 5, 3, 2, 4] = 23 MD.
Action 6: Strike with psi-sword, 1d20+20: [13]+20 = 33 , 8d6: [5, 2, 4, 4, 4, 4, 5, 1] = 29 MD.
Action 7: Strike with psi-sword, 1d20+20: [16]+20 = 36 , 8d6: [3, 1, 3, 1, 5, 4, 5, 2] = 24 MD.
Action 8: Strike with psi-sword, 1d20+20: [6]+20 = 26 , 8d6: [3, 6, 1, 6, 6, 6, 6, 3] = 37 MD.

Auto-parries: 1d20+25: [9]+25 = 34 , 1d20+25: [13]+25 = 38 , 1d20+25: [9]+25 = 34 , 1d20+25: [20]+25 = 45 , 1d20+25: [17]+25 = 42 , 1d20+25: [16]+25 = 41 , 1d20+25: [7]+25 = 32 , 1d20+25: [15]+25 = 40
Auto-dodges: 1d20+14: [20]+14 = 34 , 1d20+14: [2]+14 = 16 , 1d20+14: [12]+14 = 26 , 1d20+14: [15]+14 = 29 , 1d20+14: [12]+14 = 26 , 1d20+14: [17]+14 = 31 , 1d20+14: [5]+14 = 19 , 1d20+14: [13]+14 = 27
Contingency: If Hemlock succeeds in entangling one of Ronith’s psi-swords he will simply attack with the other. If she entangles both, Ronith will use a sweep kick to try and knock her down and keep her off-balance (replace action as needed and subtract 6 from the strike roll).
When Hemlock wants to switch to her own sword, Ronith nods and stands down- waiting patiently and silently (and maybe breathing a little heavier than normal). Once his opponent is ready, Ronith leaps back into the fray- answering Hemlock's whirlwind of swords with his own.
Round 2
Initiative: 1d20+16: [2]+16 = 18
APM: 8
Action 1: Strike with psi-sword, 1d20+20: [16]+20 = 36 , 8d6: [2, 4, 1, 1, 5, 1, 5, 3] = 22 MD.
Action 2: Strike with psi-sword, 1d20+20: [11]+20 = 31 , 8d6: [4, 2, 1, 3, 3, 2, 6, 6] = 27 MD.
Action 3: Strike with psi-sword, 1d20+20: [16]+20 = 36 , 8d6: [1, 2, 5, 1, 6, 2, 1, 1] = 19 MD.
Action 4: Strike with psi-sword, 1d20+20: [4]+20 = 24 , 8d6: [6, 4, 1, 1, 5, 2, 1, 3] = 23 MD.
Action 5: Strike with psi-sword, 1d20+20: [13]+20 = 33 , 8d6: [1, 5, 2, 2, 5, 2, 6, 3] = 26 MD.
Action 6: Strike with psi-sword, 1d20+20: [19]+20 = 39 , 8d6: [5, 1, 3, 4, 1, 1, 3, 5] = 23 MD.
Action 7: Strike with psi-sword, 1d20+20: [18]+20 = 38 , 8d6: [2, 6, 6, 3, 3, 5, 1, 5] = 31 MD.
Action 8: Strike with psi-sword, 1d20+20: [20]+20 = 40 , 8d6: [2, 6, 2, 6, 3, 4, 4, 3] = 30 MD.

Auto-parries: 1d20+25: [6]+25 = 31 , 1d20+25: [17]+25 = 42 , 1d20+25: [17]+25 = 42 , 1d20+25: [11]+25 = 36 , 1d20+25: [14]+25 = 39 , 1d20+25: [5]+25 = 30 , 1d20+25: [16]+25 = 41 , 1d20+25: [16]+25 = 41
Auto-dodges: 1d20+14: [17]+14 = 31 , 1d20+14: [18]+14 = 32 , 1d20+14: [6]+14 = 20 , 1d20+14: [6]+14 = 20 , 1d20+14: [14]+14 = 28 , 1d20+14: [14]+14 = 28 , 1d20+14: [11]+14 = 25 , 1d20+14: [1]+14 = 15
Contingency: If Hemlock succeeds in entangling one of Ronith’s psi-swords he will simply attack with the other. If she entangles both, Ronith will use a sweep kick to try and knock her down and keep her off-balance (replace action as needed and subtract 6 from the strike roll).
Any sparring with the other new recruits will likely be unarmed (or under Hemlock's magical protection again); once they're done Ronith nods, dispels his psi-swords, and goes to towel off. "Good. You all clearly have some combat experience- some more than others" he nods at Hemlock "but I'm confident you can handle yourselves. Just remember that you're under my command now- you want to ask questions, make suggestions, fine. But in the field my word is law, even if it means putting ourselves in danger to protect the innocent. Now that I've seen your combat capabilities I'm going to want to hear about what else you can do. Talk to Zoe and order up some dinner for the team tonight. Somewhere good. One of the others will show you around, get you situated in junior members' quarters. Then I'm going to want to hear about what else you can do in your own words. Dismissed."

Ronith goes to shower off after his bouts, and changes into more comfortable clothes in time for dinner. The cyber-knight will also decide that it's high time that he check on the Granite Hall, and begin making preparations to leave MercTown the next day. At dinner, he will mostly remain quiet- observing the newcomers and their interactions with the other members of the team as well as what they have to say about themselves. He'll be most interested in hearing about Hemlock's experiences in Asgard; Gloriosa will get a patient smile and a degree of tolerance. His reaction to Lilith will depend a little on how much she reveals about herself, but in general the cyber-knight is not one to rush to judge and he'll give a degree of deference to the fact that he's never met one of her species before. During the dinner, Ronith will also make subtle arrangements to ensure that each of the new recruits has at least one 'minder' to chaperone them. If no-one volunteers or groups don't form organically, Ronith will ask Grant to take charge of Gloriosa and Hemlock, and Keiko to guide Lilith. At the end of the evening, the only sign of how much the simple fellowship of a nice dinner means to Ronith is his relaxing back in his chair with a faint smile and a light in his eyes.

The next day, Ronith will pack his bags and leave early for the Granite Hall. Before he goes, he will hand Grant or Zoe a credit chip with 950,000 credits. "Have the others use this for resupply. You don't have to spend it all, either, at least not until we get a suitably paying job lined up. I'll be back in a week or so- radio me if there's an emergency or something." With that, Ronith hops on his hovercycle and heads to the Granite Hall. His purpose will on the surface be perfunctory- check in, greet his fellow knights, get up to date with the Hall's affairs. But on a personal level it is very much an emotional homecoming for Ronith- his first time being around other cyber-knights since before he went back to the pass. He has to dig deep in his memory to remember much about the place, but he does his best to tend to anything that needs tending to. He'll enjoy the comforts of the Hall such as they are for a few days, before returning to MercTown a week or so after he left.
I am better than you. You just don't know it.
Sixth Sense; 300ft Nightvision; Amplified Hearing; See the invisible (all permanent)
| BOM 109 | 10 days | Provides Air, Food, Water, only needs 2 hours of sleep per night.
No machine/m. weapon bonuses; bonus (tB) +2I/s/p, +6/8 to auto-dodge; opponents -2s/-4s if m. weapons, -2d, -1APM
ISP- 89/91; PPE- 57/57; MDC- 88/88 (self), 93/93 (cyber-armor)
Frostfang Heals: 0/4. Talismans: AoI (3/3); Invulnerability (1/3); Cleanse (3/3)
User avatar
Hemlock
Posts: 57
Joined: Fri Feb 24, 2023 11:28 am

Re: Does Anybody Really Know What Time It is?

Post by Hemlock »

((Rolls Carried Over))


Once Hemlock has settled into her quarters she examines the kitchens and gathers up as many empty bottles as are available. These she patiently cleans before arranging them into a neat row.

If anyone asks what she is up to, she looks over her shoulder and winks. "I've no coin to my name, but if we're to have a dinner I can at least supply the drink."

You're all part of a little experiment. And if you like the wine, perhaps the city will, and I might earn some coin! Heh heh.

She sings softly to herself as she works, casting magical spells while doing so. It is a common enough display in the Asgardian wood for one living among the faeries, but perhaps unusual for her new friends. Hemlock's voice, as she washes and enchants the bottles, weaves a captivating spell of its own. It carries a mischievous lilt, like the gurgling laughter of a hidden spring. Yet, there's also an echo of the ancient within it, a tone telling of countless moons spent dancing with forest sprites and singing with fireflies in the Asgardian wood. It's beautiful, yes, but a beauty seasoned with mischief. As the song progresses, a mischievous warmth radiates outwards, perhaps drawing you into her playful magic. Does it make you want to clink glasses and join the revelry?

The spells are Create Water (-15 P.P.E.) to fill the bottles. Purification (-20 P.P.E.) to cleanse them thoroughly to Asgardian standards. Finally, Water to Wine (-40 P.P.E.) to create what she hopes will be a wine of
A level 15 caster creates wine of +75% quality
quality.

Sing 113%: 1d100: [36] = 36 (SUCCESS)

The song tells of her poor economic state, but it is an uplifting cheerful tune, for Hemlock has a plan. Which is explained in the words.

♫♪♪Sudsy water, clinking glass, echoes bouncing off the brass
Dragons slumber, heroes snore, night is young, but I ain't poor
Got a trick up my sleeve, a whisper on my tongue
Washing bottles, plain and stark, soon they'll hold a magic spark

Faerie magic, fizz and flow, water dancing, grapes aglow
Ancient magic, swirling brew, vintage dreams in bottles new
Dinner's done, and then some more, pockets lined and heart will soar
Farewell poverty, goodbye debt, this godling ain't done yet

Swirling currents, moonlit gleam, whispers weave a potent dream
Ruddy hues and bubbles bright, nectar fit for gods of might
Loki's daughter, Frigga's grace, mischief dancing in this place
Turning tables, bending fate, no more penniless estate

Faerie magic, fizz and flow, water dancing, grapes aglow
Ancient magic, swirling brew, vintage dreams in bottles new
Dinner's done, and then some more, pockets lined and heart will soar
Farewell poverty, goodbye debt, this godling ain't done yet

Cork it tight, a silent spell, secrets kept within the well
Each bottle holds a fortune's gleam, a ladder from this tavern scene
Merchant's door, a golden key, independence sets me free
No more barkeep, no more toil, this godling will take the spoil

Faerie magic, fizz and flow, water dancing, grapes aglow
Ancient magic, swirling brew, vintage dreams in bottles new
Dinner's done, and then some more, pockets lined and heart will soar
Farewell poverty, goodbye debt, this godling ain't done yet

So raise a glass, to dreams that rise, and magic glinting in our eyes
Tonight we feast, tomorrow's bright, this godling shall soon take flight!♫♪♪


She ensures the wine is adequate by pouring herself a small glass first. If satisfactory, she ensures the dining table is well stocked.

Her efforts should ensure ample beverage for dinner, whatever it might be. Indeed, the next morning she plans to repeat the process and head into Merctown proper with the intent of selling her wares.

Earlier Ronith said wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 1:56 pm Ronith inclines his head to his right. ”Skyrender came to me by chance, shortly after I arrived in MercTown, formed Heroes for Hire, and accepted our first contract.” Then Ronith inclines his head to his left. ”Frostfang, however… Well, all I know for certain is that it was my father’s sword. I took it from the body of the man who murdered him, and have borne it in Odin’s honor ever since. If you are of Asgard, you may know more of it than I do.” Ronith cocks a curious eyebrow and tries not to betray the longing to learn more- anything- about his parentage by burying it under a gruff exterior.
During dinner the godling ruminates on what Ronith told her of Frostfang.
OOC Comments
Quick post for Brian before he departs irl
The sword belonged to Ronith's father and yet he knows little about it. A man murdered his father for the sword, so this must have happened in a way that Ronith does not know his father at all. Otherwise his father would surely have told him of the blade. Was his father slain when he was a babe? Or was he like me, growing up not knowing who his parents were?

She decides to follow it up.



After dinner....

After dinner Hemlock approaches Ronith. Despite her youthful appearance, is far older than she seems. Three millennia of Asgardian life had honed her senses, making her a master of reading emotions. Activating her psychic ability of Empathic Charisma (-10 ISP), she hopes to know more of Ronith's mind on a question that he asked earlier. Is there some deep longing to unravel the mysteries of his past? I know I felt the same when I was his age.

"Ronith," she says gently, her voice as soft as falling snow, "you mentioned I might know of Frostfang than you. What was your father's name? Anything more you can tell me?" She pauses a moment, and asks, "May I have a closer look at that blade?"

There is no mischief in her eyes at this time. She is quite serious indeed. All the while she listens intently to both Ronith's words, and his emotions.

Her own parentage, a union between Frigga and the trickster god Loki, had always been shrouded in whispers and hushed gossip. She never truly knew her father, though a sly suspicion lingered – the talking fox, Mr. Fox, who'd taught her magic in the Asgardian woods, she decided many years ago it was likely Loki in disguise. But what of Ronith?

Hemlock, sensing his unspoken emotions with the uncanny accuracy of her empathic abilities, feels a pang of understanding. I know that feeling of his.

"We are not so different it seems," she says without explanation. Her mind flickers briefly to her mother Frigga. She knew early on who she was, but Hemlock had never known a mother's love like so many other souls. She sighs.

If allowed, she examines the weapon and if told, she considers the name. Will either tug at the edges of her memory? Is there a faint echo from the distant past? She closes her eyes, delving deep into her millennia-old memories, sifting through battles, feasts, and whispered secrets.

"There are many elves in the Asgardian wood, and many others who visit from time to time. I've known a lot of them. Hrmm." She thinks long and deep.

Failing that, she tries Object Read (-6 ISP) on the blade itself. She focuses on the weapon, seeking father who once held the blade. If she recalls anything of the elf from her own experience, this hopefully fuels the reading.
Impressions 89%: 1d100: [60] = 60 (SUCCESS)
Images 81%: 1d100: [43] = 43 (SUCCESS)
Present: 71%: 1d100: [97] = 97 (FAIL)

Then hands back the blade to Ronith.
The Road goes ever on and on
Spell Strength +10 (victims need 22 to save vs. Hemlock's magic)
Senses: Intelligent presences and manned surveillance systems (100 ft/90% chance), and Rifts (350 miles).

M.D.C.: 719/719
,
P.P.E.: 852/870
,
I.S.P.: 212/268
,
Nightvision (200'), See Invisible.
User avatar
Grant Latham
Diamond Level Patron
Posts: 581
Joined: Mon Jun 29, 2015 5:25 pm
Location: Heroes For Hire - PC
Contact:

Re: Does Anybody Really Know What Time It is?

Post by Grant Latham »

New Perception: 81% vs 1d100: [84] = 84
JIC: 1d20: [17] = 17 , 1d100: [2] = 2
Constant Abilities
Character Sheet
  • See the Invisible, including spirits and Astral Beings
  • Sense Ley Line: 94%
  • Sense Ley Line Nexus 104%
  • Sense a Rift: Automatic | 160mi
  • Sense Magic in Use: 1100'
  • Half Damage from magical cold, heat, and fire
  • Immune to Possession
  • Regenerate 2d6 M.D.C. per minute
  • Fatigues at half normal rate, hold breath up to 3 minutes
  • Base Spell Strength: 15
  • Spell Range doubled
  • Spells, psionic attacks, drugs, and disease that cause confusion, dizziness, or dull the senses are half as effective (penalties and duration)
  • Silver and 90% pure iron weapons inflict their S.D.C. equivalent damage in M.D.C. Rune weapons and holy weapons do double damage. Suffers double damage from Ley Line Storms
  • Turn Invisible at will (Simple)
Stats
  • M.D.C.: 101/101
  • I.S.P.: 98/98
  • P.P.E.: 710/710
  • Lord Magus Armor • Main Body: 50/50 Head: 45/45 Arms: 15/15 Legs:30/30
| 10 PPE| BOM 109 | 30 Days | Provides Air, Food, Water, only needs 2 hours of sleep per night.

120 PPE | BOM 140 | 63 Days | 1100 PPE


Appraise Goods (Magic Item Specialization) 83% vs 1d100: [77] = 77 | Mage Armor - reasonable retail price
Appraise Goods (Magic Item Specialization) 83% vs 1d100: [62] = 62 | Draining Blade - reasonable retail price


With Sir Ronith's acceptance of the newcomers, Grant leaves them to their fun and games. Returning to his room, he finds a note from Keiko and Daisuke that he needs to make a final decision if he wants to use any of the items they'd found on their last adventure. Tossing the note in the trash, he goes back to the armory and examines the remaining sword and the two armors. The blade overall is basically a more powerful version of the blade I have. The ranged option is a nice addition, too bad the creator wasn't able to activate both functions as one. I'll take it. Now the armors on the other hand, Grant leans over and takes a sniff, crinkling his nose. Used armor, and one where the previous owner died in it. He looks them over for damage and using the power of the ley line, casts Mend the Broken to repair the damaged sections. He follows us with a barrage of Cleanse to try and get the lingering (imaginary) smell out. Grimacing. he shakes his head, I'd recommend keeping one in the armory, but sell the other. Never say never, but I just can't see myself want to wear one of these unless I was desperate. Armed with the knowledge of what abilties the armor bestows upon the wearer, Grant takes a few minutes to decide what fair market value would be, so he can better gauge any offers when they attempt to sell it.

When he runs across Keiko and Daisuke, he says, "I will take the other Omega Blade. I'd recommend keeping one of the armors in the Armory, but sell the other. With it's uniqueness, I think we should see if we can find buyers at the Collegiate Arcane who would be willing it to buy the armor at near retail price, before we try the shops in town. I can also see if some is willing to buy the Draining Blade I've been using. It looks like the three newcomers are well situated with equipment and wouldn't benefit from using it.

Grant observes the bouts between Sir Ronith, Hemlock, and the others, but doesn't participate himself, waiving off any challenges, "If it comes to down to me fighting hand to hand, then something has truly gone wrong. He remembers one conversation with Brethan D'zir, High Lord Magus, First Among Equals, of Dweomer during his training. 'We have three schools for a reason. The Battle Magi fight the battles that must be fought, the High Magi provide the tools to protect and defend Dweomer. The Lord Magi, your school, is to prevent battles through knowledge and trickery. You decide when battles should be fought, not the enemy.'

When Sir Ronith, Grant gives his farewell and takes the credit stick, "Safe travels, it maybe premature to provision before we know what our next job is." He hands the stick to Zoey, "But I'll defer to Zoe to triage any equipment requests. I will be using the time for some spell research while you are gone."

Once Sir Ronith is gone, Grant goes to the Collegiate Arcane along with those who want to see if he can find a private buyer for the Omega armor(550K? because it has 3 features: 55K x10?) and his Draining Blade (2-3 Million Credits, BOM 318). He looks for the Message/Bulletin Board with requests and items/services available for hire. If there isn't anyone looking for what they are selling, he leaves his own message. "Let's leave this here for the week to see if we get any offers, if not we will peddle them to the shops in town, but I double we'd get more than a third of their value if we do that."
For Sale wrote:
  1. Unique techno-wizardy enhanced body armor from another dimension. See attached picture.
    • Condition: Renewed
    • Features: Allows user to cast the following spells individual at standard mana costs: Invulnerability, Fear, and Mystic Shield
    • Asking Price: 1 million credits
  2. Standard Draining Blade. See attached picture.
    • Condition: Used - Like New
    • Features: Cast Life Drain on hit when energized, will work on enemies in Body or Power Armor
    • Asking Price: 2.5 million credits
If interested please contact Zoe at [MercTown Phone Number]


With that settled, Grant excuses himself from the group to peruse the research library for the next day or two before beginning his experimentation. Once he is ready, he writes a note that says:
Note wrote: Pick up this note and I will return to the Haven promptly. How? Because magic is cool, obviously. - Grant


Grant then casts Mystic Alarm on the note and places it on a nearby shelf.

He then organizes his research materials on his desk. He designates his desk, bed, and chair and then casts Time Hole | BOM 146 | 66 hours on ley line | If in the time hole for full duration, he will have 16.5 days of research time. He will be spending his timing attempting to modify the spell Fleet Feet to serve his needs. Tinker Thread When the spell ends, he checks in on the team and if there is nothing for him to deal with, he returns to his research.
Grant Latham - Owner/Operator - Latham Transport - Providing fast delivery through a treacherous wasteland....by not going through it!Explorer Point Record
Info
M.D.C.: 97/[color=#FF00000]97[/color] • P.P.E.: 656/656 • I.S.P.: 94/94 • Running: 80'/action

Constant Special Abilities
• Sense Ley Line: 89% | 100mi • Sense Ley Line Nexus: 99% • Sense a Rift: Automatic | 1500mi • Sense Magic in Use: 1000'

Equipped Gear of Note
MA-2 TW Combat Mage Armor • Main Body: 50/50 • Armor of Ithan: 50/50 [Off]MP-6 Firebolt Pistol • Alien Submachine-gun
6'x6' Canvas Mat - rolled and slung over shoulder by an adjustable strap.
User avatar
Keiko
Posts: 160
Joined: Fri Feb 07, 2020 3:44 pm

Re: Does Anybody Really Know What Time It is?

Post by Keiko »

Perception: 1d100: [82] = 82 /55%
JIC: 1d20: [12] = 12 ; 1d100: [67] = 67
Active Effects
Keiko follows Ronith and the others to observe the sparring session. Hemlock might say she's rusty but she is quite experienced. She had a good balance to her movements. She doesn't fall for the normal feints or traps. That fork is an interesting weapon. Feels kind of like a disarming weapon like a sai. Her magic is quite skilled as well. She'll be a good asset to the group and she seems to follow Ronith's general ideals. Not sure about the others. I'm sure if anything was going to happen it would have been when they first arrived.

Keiko claps for both of them when the match comes to an end. "Much better then your dual with Sir...whatshisname from the other dimension."

Once everyone has settled into their new spaces, Keiko goes looking for Hemlock and the others to show them around MT if they want it. Keiko stops as Grant speaks to her about the blades, "That's a good choice. The ranged ability is quite potent. I think there will be a market for it. I'm sure the college will have people who will study it exhaustively. You should be able to get a fair amount for it. I'm not sure what our next job will hold for us, but I'm sure we'll be ready for it." Keiko winks and bounces off to find the new people.

If Keiko comes across Hemlock she'll wave excitedly, "Hey! I was looking for you. Care to take a trip outside? See what MercTown has to offer? I can give you a bit of a tour while I'm out shopping. I'm looking for a new axe, one that I can get enchanted. You game?" Keiko is dressed in light summer dress of orange and yellow gathered at her waist by her belt with a sword and axe on her hips.

If her offer is accepted Keiko will walk through parts of MT showing them around as she looks for axes at the magical shops. Keiko is checking prices and availability of all axes and swords at the shops. Keiko is looking to improve her off hand weapon to match or exceed the Omega blade she has recently obtained.
Keiko will also look at the dwarven crafted weapons, even the SDC ones, to see if there is a suitable base for her to work off of.
Rarity Rolls:
Charm/Impress: 1d100: [9] = 9 /55%
Streetwise: 1d100: [42] = 42 /75%
Barter: 1d100: [18] = 18 /50%
Lore: Demons & Monsters: 1d100: [70] = 70 /75%
Keiko will keep conversation with who ever decides to accompany her.
Keiko

Do not PM this Account. Please direct all PMs to Sum of All Fears
User avatar
Hemlock
Posts: 57
Joined: Fri Feb 24, 2023 11:28 am

Re: Does Anybody Really Know What Time It is?

Post by Hemlock »

((rolls carried over))
Keiko wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 10:28 am If Keiko comes across Hemlock she'll wave excitedly, "Hey! I was looking for you. Care to take a trip outside? See what MercTown has to offer? I can give you a bit of a tour while I'm out shopping. I'm looking for a new axe, one that I can get enchanted. You game?" Keiko is dressed in light summer dress of orange and yellow gathered at her waist by her belt with a sword and axe on her hips.

If her offer is accepted Keiko will walk through parts of MT showing them around as she looks for axes at the magical shops. Keiko is checking prices and availability of all axes and swords at the shops. Keiko is looking to improve her off hand weapon to match or exceed the Omega blade she has recently obtained.
Keiko will also look at the dwarven crafted weapons, even the SDC ones, to see if there is a suitable base for her to work off of.
Keiko will keep conversation with who ever decides to accompany her.
Shopping is wonderful, if only I had wealth! Ah no matter, I will see what opportunities I can uncover.

Hemlock, her mind awash with a whirlwind of possibilities, nods enthusiastically. She had thought to explore the city anyway, but the prospect of being guided by an enthusiastic talking cat-like being brings the notion to an extra level of excitement.

"I would appreciate the company," says Hemlock, clutching her magically conjured wine bottle. There is a thoughtful glint in her eyes. Hemlock looks around for Gloriosa, and if present she will happily wave him over to accompany her.

"A new axe? Are you going to enchant it? Have anything fun in mind?" she inquires. "I've no coin to my name, but will gladly follow you to see where all the good stores are. My own weapons I enchanted myself, nothing too fancy, just straightforward."

As they venture out, Hemlock openly admires Keiko's summer dress. "That is nice! You know, I want to stop over at a tavern to try and perhaps earn a little income and friendship. Then this magician's guild and see if they are of any use to me. I may summon some allies before the day is out."

"If I had time I could perhaps experiment, and maybe enchant an axe for you. Or research some new forms of magic. But the problem is time," she looks skyward, as if the answer might come to her unbidden. Sadly it does not. "I do not know how much we have."

She laughs. "So we had best get started right away!" And with that, she ventures out into the big city.
The Road goes ever on and on
Spell Strength +10 (victims need 22 to save vs. Hemlock's magic)
Senses: Intelligent presences and manned surveillance systems (100 ft/90% chance), and Rifts (350 miles).

M.D.C.: 719/719
,
P.P.E.: 852/870
,
I.S.P.: 212/268
,
Nightvision (200'), See Invisible.
Post Reply

Return to “Heroes for Hire Adventure Forum”