Of all things Strange and Wild

BTS2 Adventure Forum
User avatar
Zachary Splindt
Posts: 132
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2021 3:17 pm

Re: Of all things Strange and Wild

Post by Zachary Splindt »

Perception: 1d100: [52] = 52 (23%)
JIC 1D100: 1d100: [87] = 87
JIC 1D20: 1d20: [3] = 3
Conditions: Closed to the supernatural
Invoke Trust: 1d100: [17] = 17 (45%)
Theo wrote: Wed Jul 05, 2023 12:33 pm
Consumer wrote: Wed Jul 05, 2023 7:32 am The woman looks a little confused, but smiles anyways. "Well that sounds very interesting and all, but sadly I don't think I would be much help. We moved here only a month ago when my husband Daniel got a job with B & L. The Neighbors have mentioned that we are much more delightful than the man who used to live here. I never pried more than that though. I wish I could help, but I don't know anything else really." The young woman says.
After Zachary asks anything he would like to know, Theo says "Well ma'am, you actually did help us, so I sincerely appreciate your time. Your home is beautiful by the way. Have a great day." Theo nudges Zachary, and begins walking back to the side walk.
B&L thinks Zachary to himself, bit of a longshot, but it's worth a try. As Theo walks to the next house, Zachary turns back to the woman at the door. "Sorry ma'am, but I couldn't help but notice you brought up B&L. That's the mining company, right? Seems like a nice enough place. How's he finding the job so far?" (Invoke trust in case it's needed) Upon hearing the woman's response, Zachary thanks the woman for her time and warns her to watch out for chills or anomalous sounds when operating their vehicle.

As Zachary leaves the house to follow Theo, he glares at the automobile. It is then, that an idea takes form in the detective's head. If patterns don't work, maybe experimentation oughta do the trick. Zachary recalls of one incident in which he had to tamper with a telegraph machine enough times before the apparition's presence could be more felt. Can't figure out how we can do this without getting ourselves in the drink, but maybe there's something we can do to turn the ghost's attention our way. Zachary checks his coat pockets for the stakes he left inside.
User avatar
Consumer
Dimension Master
Posts: 1978
Joined: Sun Sep 13, 2009 2:26 pm
Location: GM/DM (The Templar, PW: Galactic Rogues, BTS:OGoA)
Contact:

Re: Of all things Strange and Wild

Post by Consumer »

A Visitor
Time and Weather wrote:Location: Glen Jean, West Virginia
Date: Tuesday, March 20th, 1925. 11:14 AM (2 Minutes have passed)
Weather: 53 degrees Fahrenheit; Light clouds.
I.S.P. Modifier: x2 Investigating the Supernatural
Case Notes
Theo wrote:"Well ma'am, you actually did help us, so I sincerely appreciate your time. Your home is beautiful by the way. Have a great day."


The woman smiles. "Thank you, you have a good day as well." She says and begins to turn to head back in her house.
Zachary Splindt wrote:"Sorry ma'am, but I couldn't help but notice you brought up B&L. That's the mining company, right? Seems like a nice enough place. How's he finding the job so far?"
The woman turns back around. "It's a mining job, long hours and hard work, but it's paying the bills. He seems to be doing okay with it, at least he's not complaining too much. You two have a nice day." The woman says as she begins to head back inside the house. Zachary's parting comments cause her to get a weird look on her face, like someone confused by something crazy coming out of the mouth of a stranger. She doesn't reply, and closes the door behind her. On the sidewalk Theo speaks towards Zachary.
Theo wrote:Well now we know. House flipped quickly and the neighbors have some thoughts on Mr. Maynard. Lets try the right side neighbor.
Theo heads up to the neighbor's house and knocks on the door, but it seems no one is around to answer. Meanwhile Zachary is thinking to himself and searching his pockets for a wooden stake.

What Are Your Intentions?

Callum: HP: 37/37, S.D.C.: 49/49, I.S.P.: 44/44.
Zachary: HP: 21/21, S.D.C. 29/29, I.S.P.: 14/14
Theo: HP: 20/20, S.D.C. 48/48
"All things age. All things die. In the end, our sun burns out. Our universe grows cold and perishes. But the Dark Dimension, it’s the place beyond time."
GM of The Templar, Phase World: Galactic Rogues, Beyond the Supernatural: Old Gods of Appalachia
PP Ledger
User avatar
Zachary Splindt
Posts: 132
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2021 3:17 pm

Re: Of all things Strange and Wild

Post by Zachary Splindt »

Perception: 1d100: [60] = 60 (23%)
JIC 1D100: 1d100: [37] = 37
JIC 1D20: 1d20: [19] = 19
Conditions: Closed to the Supernatural

As the woman closes the door on Zachary's face, the detective shrugs. Another day in the life of the Pinkerton crackpot unit. "It was worth a shot," mumbles Zachary to himself as he makes his way to Theo.

"Well, we've tried the Maynard brothers and we already know about Gypsum. I reckon our next stop oughta be..." Zachary takes a moment to consult the newspaper clippings and phone book again, nearly dropping the heavy book on his foot "...Edward Tackland? Seems to be the most recent after Gypsum. Old fella though. Not sure how much folks are gonna remember him."
Assuming Theo is onboard, Zachary hops into the car and awaits their destination.
User avatar
Theo
Diamond Level Patron
Posts: 71
Joined: Mon May 30, 2022 7:38 am

Re: Of all things Strange and Wild

Post by Theo »

Perception 31%: d100: [5] = 5
JIC: d100: [24] = 24 , d20: [15] = 15

Conditions:S.D.C.: 48/48, H.P.:33/33, Psionics (15+) +3, Lethal Poison (14+)/Non-Lethal Poison (16+) +0, Magic (Varies) +1, Horror Factor +1, SPD 21

Zachary Splindt wrote: Tue Jul 18, 2023 5:26 am Well, we've tried the Maynard brothers and we already know about Gypsum. I reckon our next stop oughta be..." Zachary takes a moment to consult the newspaper clippings and phone book again, nearly dropping the heavy book on his foot "...Edward Tackland? Seems to be the most recent after Gypsum. Old fella though. Not sure how much folks are gonna remember him."
Theo stops. “You are right. Based on the interviews of neighbors they all shared being terrible people. It would be interesting to see if that trend holds. Let’s hit the road.” It seems like all are people that wouldn’t be missed. That begs the question, were they picked for being bad people or were they chosen because no one would look too hard to find their killer. . Theo gets in the Driver’s seat. He turns to Zachary and says “Navigate me”
User avatar
Consumer
Dimension Master
Posts: 1978
Joined: Sun Sep 13, 2009 2:26 pm
Location: GM/DM (The Templar, PW: Galactic Rogues, BTS:OGoA)
Contact:

Re: Of all things Strange and Wild

Post by Consumer »

A Visitor
Time and Weather wrote:Location: Glen Jean, West Virginia
Date: Tuesday, March 20th, 1925. 3:02 PM (3:50 hours have passed)
Weather: 53 degrees Fahrenheit; Light clouds.
I.S.P. Modifier: x2 Investigating the Supernatural
Case Notes
The duo converses briefly as they get back into Theo’s car. Theo points out the most obvious connection that all of the victims seemed to have… They were all regarded as terrible people. The duo makes their way to the next victim, and same as before, everyone they speak with seems to be of one mind. This goes on as Theo and Zachary visit every other name on the list. As a whole the thing linking all the men together is the fact they are horrible human beings. Thieves, cheats, adulterers, liars, violent men, some even maybe even killers themselves. To a man every victim was awful. The group of them have no other seeming connection as not all of the work for a single entity, or are even in the same social brackets.

This endeavor has taken a large chunk of the morning and is putting the two investigators close to the three o’clock meeting time with Maria. So Theo and Zachary make their way back to the lake to meet with the woman and whomever she decided to call in. At the lake, if one could really call it such, the duo finds several cars parked, with around a dozen folk fishing off the dock and shore, but off to the side, sitting on the tailgate of her battered ford truck is Maria.

When the duo approach she points to a picnic basket. ”Figured you boys might be hungry so there’s a couple of sandwiches and a few cokes in there for you. My brother is being fashionably late as usual, so we’ll give him a few more minutes. What did you two find out?”

What Are Your Intentions?

Callum: HP: 37/37, S.D.C.: 49/49, I.S.P.: 44/44.
Zachary: HP: 21/21, S.D.C. 29/29, I.S.P.: 14/14
Theo: HP: 20/20, S.D.C. 48/48
"All things age. All things die. In the end, our sun burns out. Our universe grows cold and perishes. But the Dark Dimension, it’s the place beyond time."
GM of The Templar, Phase World: Galactic Rogues, Beyond the Supernatural: Old Gods of Appalachia
PP Ledger
User avatar
Zachary Splindt
Posts: 132
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2021 3:17 pm

Re: Of all things Strange and Wild

Post by Zachary Splindt »

Perception: 1d100: [51] = 51 (23%)
JIC 1D100: 1d100: [90] = 90
JIC 1D20: 1d20: [20] = 20
Conditions: Closed to the Supernatural
Lore: Entities and Ghosts: 1d100: [49] = 49 (45%)

Zachary greets Maria with a grin, and takes one of the sandwiches nearby. "Much obliged. All that talking worked up an appetite. Maybe after this case I'll take up work as a door-to-door salesman!" Zachary takes a bit out of the sandwich and tries to remember the details of their encounters over the past couple few hours. "Not a lot of good people on that list." begins Zachary, "Cheats, criminals, the whole nine yards. You would think we were avenging good folk from an evil spirit, but it looks like those folks were giving it some competition." Zachary frowns as he recalls the earlier encounter with the B&L foreman. "I thought maybe there would be a thread between all of them being mining workers or some strains with their families. Maybe I was wrong on that thought."

As the trio discuss their findings, Zachary takes glances at the nearby lake. Having recalled Claudia's experience with the lake "ghost," the detective is apprehensive and tries to keep a slight distance from the water. A spirit that lives in a lake, clearly angry based on Marie's words, but hurt based on Claudia's "chats" with it. Seems to go after folks of poor repute. Can't put my finger on the source of the haunting, unless the spirit itself thinks its avenging something. Can't help but wonder if I've seen something like this before though. Zachary tries to compare the traits of this particular spirit (targeting villainous men, hiding in a lake, driven by anger and hurt) with hauntings he has encountered in the past, to see if it matches a particular apparition. (Lore: Entities and Ghosts)

Having taken some time to think about it, Zachary's focus turns to the busy lake "Bit more folks there than usual," notes Zachary, "do you think they're going to be safe there? Bet not all of those folks are as bad as the ones we checked, but I remember Claudia talking with that lake ghost in broad daylight. Might not need nightfall to get its next victim."

Zachary listens intently to Marie's reply, but holds a slightly tense gaze over the lake and its occupants.
User avatar
Consumer
Dimension Master
Posts: 1978
Joined: Sun Sep 13, 2009 2:26 pm
Location: GM/DM (The Templar, PW: Galactic Rogues, BTS:OGoA)
Contact:

Re: Of all things Strange and Wild

Post by Consumer »

A Visitor
Time and Weather wrote:Location: Glen Jean, West Virginia
Date: Tuesday, March 20th, 1925. 3:07 PM (5 Minutes has passed)
Weather: 53 degrees Fahrenheit; Light clouds.
I.S.P. Modifier: x2 Investigating the Supernatural
Case Notes
On the road, Sean travels with an acquaintance of his, Andrew Comstock. Now you would think with a name like that, the man would be a stuffy upper class individual. This is far from the truth, what Andrew is more of is a grifter. Now this might normally turn Sean off of working with a man like this, save that he pays well enough, and his sister Marie is usually around to reign him in. Sean knows of the self proclaimed witches of West Virginia, and might have even been around to witness a strange thing or two in their presence, but what really brings them together might be the fact that they didn’t treat him like a crazy person when he mentioned he’s seen ghosts before. So now we have Sean driving his trusty truck down the road towards the mining town of Glen Jean, with Andrew in the passenger seat blabbing on about why they’re heading this way.

”So my sister was looking into some happenings in Glen Jean. Apparently a bunch of guys have drowned in a local pond, which given enough time doesn’t seem too weird. In this case it’s over the course of ten months, so a bit too accelerated if you ask me. I guess she performed a working and saw something angry in the water. Now also apparently there are some other folk who are looking into it, but my sister says they may be a bit out of their depth…” Andrew pauses to laugh at his own pun. ”An she wanted me to come out and help. But given she has the truck, and I know you at least know something about ghosts, I figured you could maybe help out.” Andrew finishes rambling just as the duo pull onto the road heading towards this lake.

Meanwhile, Marie listens to Zachary tell of what he found, brushing a stray hair from in front of her face as she sips coffee from a tin cup. Marie nods along, before setting her cup down and looking at the road as a truck pulls up. ”There’s my brother now… Oh he brought Sean.” Marie says before climbing down from the tailgate of her truck to approach the parking vehicle. ”Bout time you should up Andrew. Hello Sean.” Marie says in a grumpy voice that almost immediately turns sweet by the end.

Andrew hops out and motions for Sean to do the same. ”Got here as soon as I could, seeing as you have the truck.” Andrew says in a friendly but definitely mocking tone. To the group at the lake, Andrew is a short thin male of middling age with long blonde thinning hair tied back in a pony tail. He wears dark slacks, a button up white shirt with the collar loose and the sleeves rolled up past his elbows. A black vest and a pair of glasses seem to finish the look.

Sean can see from his vantage point by the truck that something is definitely off about the lake, and can tell that whatever it is, it is very angry.

What Are Your Intentions?

Zachary can't remember any specific case, but several of them have similar issues with something enacting vengeance from beyond the grave.


Callum: HP: 37/37, S.D.C.: 49/49, I.S.P.: 44/44.
Zachary: HP: 21/21, S.D.C. 29/29, I.S.P.: 14/14
Theo: HP: 20/20, S.D.C. 48/48

Sean: HP:18/18, S.D.C.: 50/50, I.S.P.: 24/24
"All things age. All things die. In the end, our sun burns out. Our universe grows cold and perishes. But the Dark Dimension, it’s the place beyond time."
GM of The Templar, Phase World: Galactic Rogues, Beyond the Supernatural: Old Gods of Appalachia
PP Ledger
User avatar
Sean Burke
Posts: 44
Joined: Tue Jul 11, 2023 10:47 am

Re: Of all things Strange and Wild

Post by Sean Burke »

Perception: 25% vs 1d100: [83] = 83
JIC: 1d20: [1] = 1 and 1d100: [41] = 41

On the ride over

Sean sat behind the wheel wondering what he was getting into. This daft bird is always into something. I really don't know why I continue to entertain this rubbish. Ma and Pa would be right angry with me if they knew. Sean settles himself into acceptance, at least I'll get to see Marie. She might be a little mental but who am I to judge. Besides, she is a looker. I wouldn't pass on a turn with her. Sean listens as Andrews talks about where they are going.

Consumer wrote: Tue Jul 25, 2023 9:24 am ”So my sister was looking into some happenings in Glen Jean. Apparently a bunch of guys have drowned in a local pond, which given enough time doesn’t seem too weird. In this case it’s over the course of ten months, so a bit too accelerated if you ask me. I guess she performed a working and saw something angry in the water. Now also apparently there are some other folk who are looking into it, but my sister says they may be a bit out of their depth…” Andrew pauses to laugh at his own pun. ”An she wanted me to come out and help. But given she has the truck, and I know you at least know something about ghosts, I figured you could maybe help out.” Andrew finishes rambling just as the duo pull onto the road heading towards this lake.


"Maybe 10 months is plenty of time for folks to drown. You never know if these miners are acting the maggot or how often the go out on a tear." Sean considers silently, a working huh? Maybe there are ghost, maybe there aren't. Just because I see things don't make em real.

Arriving at the lake

Consumer wrote: Tue Jul 25, 2023 9:24 am ”Bout time you should up Andrew. Hello Sean.” Marie says in a grumpy voice that almost immediately turns sweet by the end.

Andrew hops out and motions for Sean to do the same. ”Got here as soon as I could, seeing as you have the truck.”


Sean steps out of the truck getting a full view of the lake and a feeling there is something off about the lake. If she saw angry, she was right. he walks over to great Marie, finding it hard to look away from the lake. Sean reaches out for Marie's hand pulling it up for a kiss, "Always a good day when I get to see such a beautiful lass." Looking back and forth between her and the lake he continues, "but you invited us to a poor destination. I'll not be swimming in that water. Thats for sure." Letting go of Marie's hand he looks toward the two gentlemen with her, "Ain't you gonna introduce me to your mates?"

Sean offers a low wave and says, "Sean Burke." Sean turns back to Marie, "What kind of trouble are you mixed up with the time?"
User avatar
Zachary Splindt
Posts: 132
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2021 3:17 pm

Re: Of all things Strange and Wild

Post by Zachary Splindt »

Perception: 1d100: [79] = 79 (23%)
JIC 1D100: 1d100: [66] = 66
JIC 1D20: 1d20: [19] = 19
Conditions: Closed to the Supernatural

"Might be best if you stay out of the water, considering whatever's swimming around down there's got quite a temper," replies Zachary as he approaches the newcomers. Taking a moment to decide whether to shake each gentleman's hand one at a time or both at once, Zachary settles on the latter and tries to give a friendly grin to compensate for his social fumble. "Zachary Splindt, former Pinkerton," exclaims the detective as he awaits the handshake that is/is not to come. "We've received news that there were a number of drownings here not long ago, and ten at that. Not sure if you heard that already, but- I might actually have the clippings here somewhere." Zachary interrupts himself briefly to check his pockets for the newspaper clippings, and hands them to Sean.

(Taken from: here)
Consumer wrote: Fri Nov 11, 2022 11:52 am The oldest of the articles dates May 15th 1924, approximately ten months ago, the death is a man named John Taggert, a 38 year old male, who was found by early morning fishermen floating in a reedy area, cause of death: drowning. The second death was on July 18th 1924, Robert Packerd, age 25. Found washed up on the shore of the lake by hikers. Cause of death: Drowning. The third death was August 6th, 1924, Charles Maynard, aged 56. Found on the shore by fishermen, likely had been dead a few days. Cause of death: Drowning. The fourth victim was found August 10th, Joseph Maynard, aged 57, Found near the site of his brother’s death. Cause of death: Drowning. Fifth and sixth victims were found on October 19th 1924. Donald Jefferies, aged 37, and Richard Mackley Aged 45. Found under the dock, cause of death: Drowning. Victim seven was found November 7th, 1924. Edward Tackland, aged 70. Found half submerged on the shore. Cause of death: Either Exposure or Drowning. Final victim was found on March 4th, 1925. Michael Gypsum, aged 34. Found half frozen in thin ice. Cause of Death: Drowning.


"We had a few more in our gang take a closer look at the waters and ask around town, but it seems we're running a bit 'dry' on leads. In fact, Theo and I just got back from going door-to-door, trying to find a pattern with each of the victims, isn't that right Theo?" Zachary inquires as he gives Theo a light elbow. As Zachary gestures to the lake with a wave of his hand he continues his explanation. "One of our folks tried to 'communicate' with whatever was down there. Seems it was scared and might be in some kind of pain, but it seems to have one heck of a temper to match. Reckon it's more than a fish, if you catch my drift" Zachary takes a second to note the reactions of both gentlemen. Considering the way some people are acting in this town, wouldn't be surprised if we get tossed into the crazy bin saying it's ghost outright.

"On that note, a fury like that does kind of ring a bell," continues Zachary as he turns his attention back to Marie and Theo, "There can be a number of reasons why a gh- 'presence' is up and about terrorizing the locals, but revenge is certainly not uncommon. This one seems to target men, and men who don't exactly have a reputation for being saints. We know about a missing girl not too long ago, but I don't recall catching word of murder or homicide around the time of the first victim. Speaking of, does a missing girl ring a bell to you Marie?"
User avatar
Theo
Diamond Level Patron
Posts: 71
Joined: Mon May 30, 2022 7:38 am

Re: Of all things Strange and Wild

Post by Theo »

Perception 31%: d100: [63] = 63
JIC: d100: [16] = 16 , [roll]d20[/roll]

Conditions:S.D.C.: 48/48, H.P.:33/33, Psionics (15+) +3, Lethal Poison (14+)/Non-Lethal Poison (16+) +0, Magic (Varies) +1, Horror Factor +1, SPD 21
Sean Burke wrote: Wed Jul 26, 2023 5:38 am Letting go of Marie's hand he looks toward the two gentlemen with her, "Ain't you gonna introduce me to your mates?"

Sean offers a low wave and says, "Sean Burke." Sean turns back to Marie, "What kind of trouble are you mixed up with the time?"
Theo holds out his hand to Sean, "Theo Darrow. Pleasure to meet you. I was a Richmond PD detective, before I headed out this way and met Zachary and the others. I have never knowingly worked a case like this. Marie has been a God send. She can actually see what we are dealing with. As a detective not being able to see. interrogate, or even interact with a suspect is frustrating."
Zachary Splindt wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 3:36 pm There can be a number of reasons why a gh- 'presence' is up and about terrorizing the locals, but revenge is certainly not uncommon. This one seems to target men, and men who don't exactly have a reputation for being saints. We know about a missing girl not too long ago, but I don't recall catching word of murder or homicide around the time of the first victim. Speaking of, does a missing girl ring a bell to you Marie?"
"Zachary's right. I don't think any of these men are missed. However we can't seem to find a connection. Some committed larger atrocities than others, like spousal abuse. But that wasn't something they all shared. In my mind we are looking at a couple of possibilities. First they may be targeted for sharing a trait with someone that hurt this entity in life. Or they are somehow involved collectively with the spirit in question, by being the ones that lead to or caused its death. Records are somewhat slim, but around these parts things can happen that never get reported. It could have something to do with the missing girl, but again there is no way to be certain at this juncture. I am leaning to towards the latter however. I believe if it were the former the men would share more traits. We know they are horrible men so there is at least a probability that they could of done something heinous together. But all of that is speculation at best." He turns to Marie. "So Marie, what is the next step? Also I would really enjoy taking you to dinner tonight if you are willing. Thank you for your help." He smiles at her, and Zachary can swear he sees Theo flexing while attempting to seem like he is not flexing. Don't put it on too thick, Theo (Charm/Impress 5%: d100: [13] = 13 )
User avatar
Sean Burke
Posts: 44
Joined: Tue Jul 11, 2023 10:47 am

Re: Of all things Strange and Wild

Post by Sean Burke »

Sean Burke wrote: Wed Jul 26, 2023 5:38 am Perception: 25% vs 1d100: [83] = 83
JIC: 1d20: [1] = 1 and 1d100: [41] = 41
Sean listens carefully as the two men discuss what has been going on. With a smile he answers, "I don't think this is a problem worth solving. Sounds like the beasty is doing us all a favor here." He looks from person to person and continues with a question. "Did you find any redeeming values in these fellas? Anything that might have been worth savin?"

His lips tighten as he considers, "Maybe we let it finish it's job. Any innocents on that list of dead folks? If not, what's the real harm here? Some bad men went swimming and drowned." Sean considers silently, I might not be one to put a fella down, doesn't mean I'd be mad at someone who had a reason.

Sean frowns slightly, "Maybe..." he pauses, "Maybe we can take a look at the most recent location a body was found." And what Sean? Gonna try to use your powers are ya? After the pause he continues, "Maybe we will find something missed before. Do you fellas know where the last body was found?"
User avatar
Consumer
Dimension Master
Posts: 1978
Joined: Sun Sep 13, 2009 2:26 pm
Location: GM/DM (The Templar, PW: Galactic Rogues, BTS:OGoA)
Contact:

Re: Of all things Strange and Wild

Post by Consumer »

A Visitor
Time and Weather wrote:Location: Glen Jean, West Virginia
Date: Tuesday, March 20th, 1925. 3:12 PM (5 Minutes has passed)
Weather: 53 degrees Fahrenheit; Light clouds.
I.S.P. Modifier: x2 Investigating the Supernatural
Case Notes
Sean Burke wrote:"Always a good day when I get to see such a beautiful lass... but you invited us to a poor destination. I'll not be swimming in that water. Thats for sure... Ain't you gonna introduce me to your mates?.. Sean Burke... What kind of trouble are you mixed up with the time?"
Marie shakes her head when Sean kisses her hand.
Zachary Splindt wrote:"Might be best if you stay out of the water, considering whatever's swimming around down there's got quite a temper,.. Zachary Splindt, former Pinkerton,.. We've received news that there were a number of drownings here not long ago, and ten at that. Not sure if you heard that already, but- I might actually have the clippings here somewhere."
Zachary hands Sean a small collection of obituaries and police blotters stating the names and dates of when the ten men died. The last was two weeks ago.
Theo wrote:"Theo Darrow. Pleasure to meet you. I was a Richmond PD detective, before I headed out this way and met Zachary and the others. I have never knowingly worked a case like this. Marie has been a God send. She can actually see what we are dealing with. As a detective not being able to see. interrogate, or even interact with a suspect is frustrating."
Zachary Splindt wrote:"We had a few more in our gang take a closer look at the waters and ask around town, but it seems we're running a bit 'dry' on leads. In fact, Theo and I just got back from going door-to-door, trying to find a pattern with each of the victims, isn't that right Theo?.. One of our folks tried to 'communicate' with whatever was down there. Seems it was scared and might be in some kind of pain, but it seems to have one heck of a temper to match. Reckon it's more than a fish, if you catch my drift"
Zachary Splindt wrote:"On that note, a fury like that does kind of ring a bell,.. There can be a number of reasons why a gh- 'presence' is up and about terrorizing the locals, but revenge is certainly not uncommon. This one seems to target men, and men who don't exactly have a reputation for being saints. We know about a missing girl not too long ago, but I don't recall catching word of murder or homicide around the time of the first victim. Speaking of, does a missing girl ring a bell to you Marie?"
Marie looks to Zachary. ”Mr. Splint, how many times are you gonna ask me that question? This is the second time by you and the third time by your other friends as well. No, I don’t have an inkling, but if I were to make an assumption, the ghost is that girl.” Marie says, a little flustered.
Theo wrote:"Zachary's right. I don't think any of these men are missed. However we can't seem to find a connection. Some committed larger atrocities than others, like spousal abuse. But that wasn't something they all shared. In my mind we are looking at a couple of possibilities. First they may be targeted for sharing a trait with someone that hurt this entity in life. Or they are somehow involved collectively with the spirit in question, by being the ones that lead to or caused its death. Records are somewhat slim, but around these parts things can happen that never get reported. It could have something to do with the missing girl, but again there is no way to be certain at this juncture. I am leaning to towards the latter however. I believe if it were the former the men would share more traits. We know they are horrible men so there is at least a probability that they could of done something heinous together. But all of that is speculation at best."


Marie walks over to her brother and quietly converses for a second, before turning around to face the rest. Andrew speaks up. ”I think you guys might be overthinking it. Most Ghosts don’t need grand reasons to do what they do, they’re made of raw emotions. If this ghost doesn’t like evil men, and every victim seems to have been evil in some way, then that’s likely it. No more grand mystery than that.” Andrew says.
Theo wrote: "So Marie, what is the next step? Also I would really enjoy taking you to dinner tonight if you are willing. Thank you for your help."
Marie looks at Theo. ”Thoughtful Mr Darrow, but I’m afraid I’ll have to decline. As for the next step, we find what has the entity bound to the lake and deal with this. So if any of you are more knowledgeable about ghosts then maybe you should start thinking down that route.” Marie says. If she seemed interested in Theo, she sure doesn’t show it.
Sean Burke wrote:"I don't think this is a problem worth solving. Sounds like the beasty is doing us all a favor here... Did you find any redeeming values in these fellas? Anything that might have been worth savin?.. Maybe we let it finish it's job. Any innocents on that list of dead folks? If not, what's the real harm here? Some bad men went swimming and drowned... Maybe... Maybe we can take a look at the most recent location a body was found... Maybe we will find something missed before. Do you fellas know where the last body was found?"
Both Marie and Andrew look at Sean, but neither comment at his statement. The siblings gesture for the rest to maybe field the question asked. ”Sean, I’m pretty sure though you could do your thing pretty much anywhere near here and get a result. I’m not even sensitive like that, and this place gives me the creeps.” Andrew says.

What Are Your Intentions?

Callum: HP: 37/37, S.D.C.: 49/49, I.S.P.: 44/44.
Zachary: HP: 21/21, S.D.C. 29/29, I.S.P.: 14/14
Theo: HP: 20/20, S.D.C. 48/48

Sean: HP:18/18, S.D.C.: 50/50, I.S.P.: 24/24
"All things age. All things die. In the end, our sun burns out. Our universe grows cold and perishes. But the Dark Dimension, it’s the place beyond time."
GM of The Templar, Phase World: Galactic Rogues, Beyond the Supernatural: Old Gods of Appalachia
PP Ledger
User avatar
Sean Burke
Posts: 44
Joined: Tue Jul 11, 2023 10:47 am

Re: Of all things Strange and Wild

Post by Sean Burke »

Perception: 25% vs 1d100: [85] = 85
JIC: 1d20: [19] = 19 and 1d100: [44] = 44

Skills
See and communicate with other spirits - Sitting down and looking around to see if a spirit is directly available to talk to.
Auditory Reading: -4 I.S.P., 84% 94%-10% vs 1d100: [6] = 6 - Focused on the girl and the most recent death.

Consumer wrote: Tue Aug 01, 2023 6:14 am Both Marie and Andrew look at Sean, but neither comment at his statement. The siblings gesture for the rest to maybe field the question asked. ”Sean, I’m pretty sure though you could do your thing pretty much anywhere near here and get a result. I’m not even sensitive like that, and this place gives me the creeps.” Andrew says.


Sean looks at Andrew hard. "My thing Andrew? Maybe I don't like doing my thing in such a public place. I was hoping for a bit of privacy. For feck's sake, do you do your thing just anywhere you please?" Sean smiles and winks at Andrew then turns to look around the lake. He looks for a place with good access to the water but not so open to the public and head over to look at the lake.

Sean takes a seat at the water's edge and pats the water a bit looking out to see if he picks up any visions. What the hell am I doing out here? Ghosts and killers. Great! Sean gives it a minute or two to see if anything comes through to "speak" with him. If nothing comes then he works to calm himself. Calm yerself they said. Open your yer mind. Don't be so negative. Sean will conduct and auditory reading of the surroundings. He focusses on the girl and the most recent murder at the lake. Sean Closes his eyes and opens himself up.
User avatar
Zachary Splindt
Posts: 132
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2021 3:17 pm

Re: Of all things Strange and Wild

Post by Zachary Splindt »

Perception: 1d100: [76] = 76 (23%)
JIC 1D100: 1d100: [4] = 4
JIC 1D20: 1d20: [17] = 17
Conditions: Closed to the Supernatural

Zachary considers Marie's words intently, as he looks over the lake. I guess we're dropping the pretense of pretending this isn't another ghost story. Works for me. I'll sound less like a nutcase. Turning back to the group, Zachary begins to explain a few ideas kicking around in his head.

"Maybe Marie's right, and we have been overthinking this a bit. Some time ago, the old gang and I ran into some... I think Virginia called them "rot hounds." Nothing seemed to stop these things, and they sure were relentless. The only way to put them down for good was to find a bottle of some sort within the house and break it. No revenge to avenge, no unfinished business to finish. Reckon lightning doesn't strike twice, but maybe it's worth a shot to see what's physically down there. Come to think of it, We haven't actually physically swam into the lake ourselves, have we?" Zachary adds.

Zachary notices Sean taking a seat by the lake, and recalls Claudia having performed a similar action. Don't reckon it ended well the last time we tried something like this Zachary thinks to himself as he silently approaches Sean, better be careful in case. Hoping not to disturb Sean as he attempts to find the spirit, Zachary stands near the man and watches closely for any kind of reaction. If it appears the attempt to commune with the spirit is causing some kind of danger, Zachary will try to shake Sean awake.
User avatar
Consumer
Dimension Master
Posts: 1978
Joined: Sun Sep 13, 2009 2:26 pm
Location: GM/DM (The Templar, PW: Galactic Rogues, BTS:OGoA)
Contact:

Re: Of all things Strange and Wild

Post by Consumer »

A Visitor
Time and Weather wrote:Location: Glen Jean, West Virginia
Date: Tuesday, March 20th, 1925. 3:17 PM (5 Minutes has passed)
Weather: 53 degrees Fahrenheit; Light clouds.
I.S.P. Modifier: x2 Investigating the Supernatural
Case Notes
Sean finds a dry patch near the water’s edge, and sits down to have a deep listen. The world fades from Sean as he concentrates on his breathing, and listens to echos of the past. The sound comes at him like always a rush at first consistent with a rush of wind with noise intermingled, unable to be detangled, but soon the sound begins to slow down and Sean hears the creaking of wood, the lapping of water on something. The first clear sounds he hears are a male yelling. ”What the hell!” followed by the sounds of thrashing water and a sudden stillness.

While Sean listens to the past, Zachary continues to chat with the Comstock siblings.
Zachary Splindt wrote:"Maybe Marie's right, and we have been overthinking this a bit. Some time ago, the old gang and I ran into some... I think Virginia called them "rot hounds." Nothing seemed to stop these things, and they sure were relentless. The only way to put them down for good was to find a bottle of some sort within the house and break it. No revenge to avenge, no unfinished business to finish. Reckon lightning doesn't strike twice, but maybe it's worth a shot to see what's physically down there. Come to think of it, We haven't actually physically swam into the lake ourselves, have we?"
Andrew laughs. ”A witch’s bottle, interesting, I didn’t think anyone was still using those.” Andrew looks down to Sean in his trance. ”Well one of the ways to deal with spirits is to put their bones to rest, and likely their bones are on the pond’s bottom. Which I don’t know any way to get things out of a lake without swimming.”

Sean comes from his trance and looks out across the lake. He’s sure there is a spirit down under the water, but is unable to see it due to the general restrictions of vision. Sean is also sure that the spirit isn’t the talking kind.

What Are Your Intentions?

Callum: HP: 37/37, S.D.C.: 49/49, I.S.P.: 44/44.
Zachary: HP: 21/21, S.D.C. 29/29, I.S.P.: 14/14
Theo: HP: 20/20, S.D.C. 48/48

Sean: HP:18/18, S.D.C.: 50/50, I.S.P.: 20/24
"All things age. All things die. In the end, our sun burns out. Our universe grows cold and perishes. But the Dark Dimension, it’s the place beyond time."
GM of The Templar, Phase World: Galactic Rogues, Beyond the Supernatural: Old Gods of Appalachia
PP Ledger
User avatar
Theo
Diamond Level Patron
Posts: 71
Joined: Mon May 30, 2022 7:38 am

Re: Of all things Strange and Wild

Post by Theo »

Perception 31%: d100: [48] = 48
JIC: d100: [100] = 100 , d20: [17] = 17

Conditions:S.D.C.: 48/48, H.P.:33/33, Psionics (15+) +3, Lethal Poison (14+)/Non-Lethal Poison (16+) +0, Magic (Varies) +1, Horror Factor +1, SPD 21

Consumer wrote: Tue Aug 08, 2023 2:08 pm A Visitor
Time and Weather wrote:Location: Glen Jean, West Virginia
Date: Tuesday, March 20th, 1925. 3:17 PM (5 Minutes has passed)
Weather: 53 degrees Fahrenheit; Light clouds.
I.S.P. Modifier: x2 Investigating the Supernatural
Case Notes
A distracted Theo rouses, he seemed to be lost in thought. Am I out of my depth here. I mean I can talk to people but even that has provided limited advantage. These people actually seem to know what they are doing. I on the other hand am at a loss.
Consumer wrote: Tue Aug 08, 2023 2:08 pm ”Well one of the ways to deal with spirits is to put their bones to rest, and likely their bones are on the pond’s bottom. Which I don’t know any way to get things out of a lake without swimming.”
Intrigued, by the supposition of a solution"I have never been much of a swimmer, but if we can locate the bones you are talking about, I can tie a rope to someone while they search for them and I can pull them out if something happens."

When Sean comes too, he goes "Are you alright? What did you learn?"
User avatar
Sean Burke
Posts: 44
Joined: Tue Jul 11, 2023 10:47 am

Re: Of all things Strange and Wild

Post by Sean Burke »

Perception: 25% vs 1d100: [75] = 75
JIC: 1d20: [17] = 17 and 1d100: [16] = 16

skill
Lore: Paranormal & Psionics 35% vs 1d100: [76] = 76 - Try to recall if there is a way to force the spirit to show itself.

Post

Sean snaps back to reality with his surroundings rushing back into view. Am I just fooling myself? Hearin things? Shaking his head he stands up wiping off his pants. "Well, nothing came by to say hello. I get the feeling whatever is down there isn't the talkative type." Sean looks around for Henry wondering, Now where did that bugger get off to? Maybe he can shed some light here.

Sean continues, "As fer the last fella, he was either on a dock or a boat when he got dragged in." Sean looks down at the ground, "What ever pulled him under wasn't letting go. Once he was under, that was it."

When Theo mentions swimming in the lake Sean outwardly laughs, "You be a bit thick to think I was goanna swim to the bottom of that lake. That wee beasty is boasting a 10- 0 winning streak and I don't fancy myself very lucky." Sean runs his fingers through his beard a couple times in thought. "Maybe we should go fishin... We just need the right bait to draw it out."

Sean turns to Marie and asks, "Yer fella says someone spoke to it. You get anything other than it being scared and angry? Did they channel the spirit?" Sean tries to think back through his research to remember if he read anything about forcing a spirit to show itself.
User avatar
Consumer
Dimension Master
Posts: 1978
Joined: Sun Sep 13, 2009 2:26 pm
Location: GM/DM (The Templar, PW: Galactic Rogues, BTS:OGoA)
Contact:

Re: Of all things Strange and Wild

Post by Consumer »

Mini-Update

Sean looks about for his seemingly always around companion. After a moment, he spots the spirit known as Henry standing to his right, just on the waters edge. Almost as if the spirit senses Sean's interest in him, does he turn around and approach the medium. "That's one angry fish down there." Henry says seemingly aloud, but Sean know only he can hear the spirit. Henry dressed in the ragtag uniform of a revolutionary war soldier, crouches down near Sean and takes off his hat, wiping his brow with the back of his forearm. A frivolous gesture that the spirit only does as a memory of sweating. "So what do you think you should do? Someone is gonna have to go down there eventually, because she ain't looking to quite her mischief anytime soon, I reckon." Henry says.
"All things age. All things die. In the end, our sun burns out. Our universe grows cold and perishes. But the Dark Dimension, it’s the place beyond time."
GM of The Templar, Phase World: Galactic Rogues, Beyond the Supernatural: Old Gods of Appalachia
PP Ledger
User avatar
Sean Burke
Posts: 44
Joined: Tue Jul 11, 2023 10:47 am

Re: Of all things Strange and Wild

Post by Sean Burke »

Sean Burke wrote: Thu Aug 10, 2023 8:48 am Perception: 25% vs 1d100: [75] = 75
JIC: 1d20: [17] = 17 and 1d100: [16] = 16
Consumer wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2023 2:19 pm "So what do you think you should do? Someone is gonna have to go down there eventually, because she ain't looking to quite her mischief anytime soon, I reckon." Henry says.
Sean stares at henry in disbelief, "You daft bugger! How are we going to get down there. Do I look like I fancy a swim in a haunted lake?" Sean shakes his head turning back to the group. "Well, that settles it. You're all mental. Even Henry!"

Sean turns and walks toward the lake wondering, how deep is it? Then asks the very question out loud, "Do we know how deep it is? I don't suppose any of you have any underwater diving experience, do you? Do we have any way of staying down there for any length of time?"
User avatar
Zachary Splindt
Posts: 132
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2021 3:17 pm

Re: Of all things Strange and Wild

Post by Zachary Splindt »

Perception: 1d100: [48] = 48 (23%)
JIC 1D100: 1d100: [42] = 42
JIC 1D20: 1d20: [12] = 12
Conditions: Closed to the Supernatural
Lore: Entities and Ghosts: 1d100: [52] = 52 (45%)
Sean Burke wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2023 9:55 am "You daft bugger! How are we going to get down there. Do I look like I fancy a swim in a haunted lake?" Sean shakes his head turning back to the group. "Well, that settles it. You're all mental. Even Henry!"

Sean turns and walks toward the lake wondering, how deep is it? Then asks the very question out loud, "Do we know how deep it is? I don't suppose any of you have any underwater diving experience, do you? Do we have any way of staying down there for any length of time?"
Zachary watches Sean's outburst in a surprised silence, and looks around. "Henry? Who's Henry?" asks the detective outloud. Zachary glances at the Comstock siblings, then to Leo, then back to Sean. Well I had imaginary friends at one point too. Zachary takes a moment to think about the situation. Maybe I oughta drive one of those B&L cars into the lake and see if it's shallow enough to stick out, Zachary thinks to himself as he allows himself a slight chuckle.

"Haunted or not, doesn't seem to be stopping these fine folks," points out the detective to the rest of the group as he gestures toward the lake. "Damned spirit would probably hunt each and every one of them if it could. Never known a ghost to carry morals. The corpses were usually found the morning after right? Maybe it doesn't hunt people quite so much in the daytime. Still, I'd rather not come this far to end up lucky number eleven on tomorrow's paper."

Reaching into his jacket pocket Zachary pulls out a small flashlight and looks over the device. "Maybe there's some way to distract it? It's going to need a bit more kick to it, but if we can disorient it before getting those bones buried we might have a better chance of getting rid of it... assuming something like this can work." Zachary looks over the lake again, and tries to recall whether he read anything back in Whitlach's study that indicated whether a ghost might be averse to a bright light (Lore: Entities and Ghosts) "Wonder how well this thing would work underwater. If it can still stay lit-up underwater, maybe we can use it to figure out how deep the lake is. Maybe I can tinker with it a bit to it doesn't shower us with sparks the second the wires take a sip. Tricky thing is, we'd need to go to the middle of the lake by boat to find what might be the deepest part. Might also have to come back at nighttime to see this thing clearly."
User avatar
Consumer
Dimension Master
Posts: 1978
Joined: Sun Sep 13, 2009 2:26 pm
Location: GM/DM (The Templar, PW: Galactic Rogues, BTS:OGoA)
Contact:

Re: Of all things Strange and Wild

Post by Consumer »

A Visitor
Time and Weather wrote:Location: Glen Jean, West Virginia
Date: Tuesday, March 20th, 1925. 3:22 PM (5 Minutes has passed)
Weather: 53 degrees Fahrenheit; Light clouds.
I.S.P. Modifier: x2 Investigating the Supernatural
Case Notes
The small gathering of investigators stand near the shore of the large pond that some call a lake, a quarter mile outside of Glen Jean, West Virginia, a company town owned almost in its entirety by the Barrow & Locke Mining Consortium. Theo and Andrew and Marie Comstock stand a short distance away from Sean, who kneels on the ground near the shore, Zachary stands near the medium..
Theo wrote:"Are you alright? What did you learn?"
Sean Burke wrote:"Well, nothing came by to say hello. I get the feeling whatever is down there isn't the talkative type... As fer the last fella, he was either on a dock or a boat when he got dragged in... What ever pulled him under wasn't letting go. Once he was under, that was it."
Sean looks about for his seemingly always around companion. After a moment, he spots the spirit known as Henry standing to his right, just on the water's edge. Almost as if the spirit senses Sean's interest in him, does he turn around and approach the medium. "That's one angry fish down there." Henry says seemingly aloud, but Sean knows only he can hear the spirit. Henry, dressed in the ragtag uniform of a revolutionary war soldier, crouches down near Sean and takes off his hat, wiping his brow with the back of his forearm. A frivolous gesture that the spirit only does as a memory of sweating. "So what do you think you should do? Someone is gonna have to go down there eventually, because she ain't looking to quit her mischief anytime soon, I reckon." Henry says.
Sean Burke wrote:"You daft bugger! How are we going to get down there? Do I look like I fancy a swim in a haunted lake?.. Well, that settles it. You're all mental. Even Henry!"
The spirit known Henry looks at Sean and shrugs. ”Never said you had to, just that someone had to.”
Zachary Splindt wrote:"Henry? Who's Henry?.. Haunted or not, doesn't seem to be stopping these fine folks,.. Damned spirit would probably hunt each and every one of them if it could. Never known a ghost to carry morals. The corpses were usually found the morning after, right? Maybe it doesn't hunt people quite so much in the daytime. Still, I'd rather not come this far to end up lucky number eleven on tomorrow's paper."
Theo wrote:"I have never been much of a swimmer, but if we can locate the bones you are talking about, I can tie a rope to someone while they search for them and I can pull them out if something happens."
Sean Burke wrote:"You be a bit thick to think I was gonna swim to the bottom of that lake. That wee beasty is boasting a 10- 0 winning streak and I don't fancy myself very lucky... Maybe we should go fishin... We just need the right bait to draw it out."
Sean Burke wrote:"Do we know how deep it is? I don't suppose any of you have any underwater diving experience, do you? Do we have any way of staying down there for any length of time?.. Yer fella says someone spoke to it. You get anything other than it being scared and angry? Did they channel the spirit?"
Marie and Andrew both look towards the bootlegger. Doubt it’s more than twenty feet.” Andrew says. ”Nothing that could be called experience, we’ve been swimming before though.” Marie says, pausing for a second. ”Oh the little girl Claudia, no I don’t think she spoke to it, just kind of sensed it.” Marie finishes.
Zachary Splindt wrote:"Maybe there's some way to distract it? It's going to need a bit more kick to it, but if we can disorient it before getting those bones buried we might have a better chance of getting rid of it... assuming something like this can work... Wonder how well this thing would work underwater. If it can still stay lit-up underwater, maybe we can use it to figure out how deep the lake is. Maybe I can tinker with it a bit so it doesn't shower us with sparks the second the wires take a sip. Tricky thing is, we'd need to go to the middle of the lake by boat to find what might be the deepest part. Might also have to come back at nighttime to see this thing clearly."
Andrew nods his head. ”I may know a working or two that could help. Never had much need for them myself, but they’re in my book, so that’s useful for us…” Andrew says, pauses, leans to his sister and whispers something to her. ”It could work, definitely a late night solution.” Marie says in response.

”So my brother and I have a few tricks that could make it safer for a few of you to go down there and get the bones. While that goes on, the rest of us can do our best to fight the entity while they retreat from the water. Out of the water it should be easy enough to get the bones to a place to dispose of them.” Marie says, her brother nodding behind her.

What Are Your Intentions?

Callum: HP: 37/37, S.D.C.: 49/49, I.S.P.: 44/44.
Zachary: HP: 21/21, S.D.C. 29/29, I.S.P.: 14/14
Theo: HP: 20/20, S.D.C. 48/48

Sean: HP:18/18, S.D.C.: 50/50, I.S.P.: 20/24
"All things age. All things die. In the end, our sun burns out. Our universe grows cold and perishes. But the Dark Dimension, it’s the place beyond time."
GM of The Templar, Phase World: Galactic Rogues, Beyond the Supernatural: Old Gods of Appalachia
PP Ledger
User avatar
Sean Burke
Posts: 44
Joined: Tue Jul 11, 2023 10:47 am

Re: Of all things Strange and Wild

Post by Sean Burke »

Perception: 25% vs 1d100: [17] = 17
JIC: 1d20: [7] = 7 and 1d100: [87] = 87
Consumer wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 5:26 pm Andrew nods his head. ”I may know a working or two that could help. Never had much need for them myself, but they’re in my book, so that’s useful for us…” Andrew says, pauses, leans to his sister and whispers something to her. ”It could work, definitely a late-night solution.” Marie says in response.

”So my brother and I have a few tricks that could make it safer for a few of you to go down there and get the bones. While that goes on, the rest of us can do our best to fight the entity while they retreat from the water. Out of the water it should be easy enough to get the bones to a place to dispose of them.” Marie says, her brother nodding behind her.
Sean looks over at Marie, Late night solution? Sean tilts his head slightly and asks, "What kind of plan you got cooked up over there?" These two are goanna be the death of me.

Turning to Zach and Theo he continues, "Well, if we are goanna do this, we will need some rope and a boat I imagine. Did anyone see a boat we could borrow?" Sean walks past the two toward the lake looking out, completely daft we are. Jump into the late haunted by a beastie who happens to have no problem with drowning folks. Just plain bonkers.

Sean sighs looking out at the expanse of the lake. Where do we start even? Sean looks around at the dock or any other places a boat might be tied off. If he sees one he says, "Fortune favors us. There is a boat we can use." and points it out. "Just need some rope now." Sean will head to the boat to check it out and inventory what is in it.
User avatar
Zachary Splindt
Posts: 132
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2021 3:17 pm

Re: Of all things Strange and Wild

Post by Zachary Splindt »

Perception: 1d100: [35] = 35 (23%)
JIC 1D100: 1d100: [49] = 49
JIC 1D20: 1d20: [3] = 3
Conditions: Closed to the Supernatural

Zachary continues to examine the flashlight as he listens intently to Marie.
Consumer wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 5:26 pm ”So my brother and I have a few tricks that could make it safer for a few of you to go down there and get the bones. While that goes on, the rest of us can do our best to fight the entity while they retreat from the water. Out of the water it should be easy enough to get the bones to a place to dispose of them.” Marie says, her brother nodding behind her.
"Tricks you say?" exclaims Zachary, "Now you've got me curious as well. Something to hold it in place maybe, while we head to the middle of the lake? Something to help us breathe? Either way, seems most of us seem onboard... if a bit reluctant."
Sean Burke wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2023 9:21 am "Well, if we are goanna do this, we will need some rope and a boat I imagine. Did anyone see a boat we could borrow?"
Zachary joins Sean in taking a quick look around for a boat. "There's a number of general stores in town." notes Zachary as he approaches Sean, "We would know. We've probably been to most of them at this point. We could try picking up some rope there."
User avatar
Consumer
Dimension Master
Posts: 1978
Joined: Sun Sep 13, 2009 2:26 pm
Location: GM/DM (The Templar, PW: Galactic Rogues, BTS:OGoA)
Contact:

Re: Of all things Strange and Wild

Post by Consumer »

A Visitor
Time and Weather wrote:Location: Glen Jean, West Virginia
Date: Tuesday, March 20th, 1925. 3:22 PM (5 Minutes has passed)
Weather: 53 degrees Fahrenheit; Light clouds.
I.S.P. Modifier: x2 Investigating the Supernatural
Case Notes
Sean Burke wrote:"What kind of plan you got cooked up over there?"
Zachary Splindt wrote:"Tricks you say?.. Now you've got me curious as well. Something to hold it in place maybe, while we head to the middle of the lake? Something to help us breathe? Either way, seems most of us seem onboard... if a bit reluctant."
Marie gestures back towards the vehicles. ”There are some magics that will allow you to survive a time underwater, and make swimming more natural to you. My brother happens to know such things. I assume once folks are closer to her resting place that it won’t matter what her motivations are, she’s likely to attack. It’s here that some of can use abilities at our disposal to help. Given that Theo is not gifted with any… unique abilities, I figured he could for sure be one of the people looking for the bones.” Maire says.

”Zachary, you’ll likely be the other, as Sean is a bit more useful in dealing with entities from a distance.” Andrew says as the group gets to the parked vehicles.
Sean Burke wrote:"Well, if we are gonna do this, we will need some rope and a boat I imagine. Did anyone see a boat we could borrow?"
Zachary Splindt wrote:"There's a number of general stores in town... We would know. We've probably been to most of them at this point. We could try picking up some rope there."
Andrew speaks up once more. ”So we should meet back up here late tonight. Say around eleven, that should give us as much privacy as we can get.” The man says looking to his sister, who nods in agreement.

What Are Your Intentions?

Callum: HP: 37/37, S.D.C.: 49/49, I.S.P.: 44/44.
Zachary: HP: 21/21, S.D.C. 29/29, I.S.P.: 14/14
Theo: HP: 20/20, S.D.C. 48/48

Sean: HP:18/18, S.D.C.: 50/50, I.S.P.: 20/24
"All things age. All things die. In the end, our sun burns out. Our universe grows cold and perishes. But the Dark Dimension, it’s the place beyond time."
GM of The Templar, Phase World: Galactic Rogues, Beyond the Supernatural: Old Gods of Appalachia
PP Ledger
User avatar
Sean Burke
Posts: 44
Joined: Tue Jul 11, 2023 10:47 am

Re: Of all things Strange and Wild

Post by Sean Burke »

Perception: 25% vs 1d100: [52] = 52
JIC: 1d20: [6] = 6 and 1d100: [6] = 6

When Andrew suggests 11 Sean nods in acceptance. Going to be a long night. Not seeing any boats on the dock leaves Sean a little uneasy, Going to be a long, wet night at that. He turns, and looks out at the lake one last time before getting into his truck. Going to need a lot of rope.

Sean offers to take whoever is interested in riding into town, "I'm going to see if I can find a good bit of rope in one of those general stores, anyone want to come along? Almost a full day before we need to be back. Maybe we should grab a bite to eat and discuss our plan for tonight?" Sean will wait for the others to respond before heading into town. He turns to Marie and says, "I'm interested in what tricks you have up your sleeve lass."

If the others agree to get a bite to eat Sean will head back to town and look for the general store. He looks for the longest rope he can purchase. After looking for the rope he meets with the others to discuss the plan for the night.
User avatar
Zachary Splindt
Posts: 132
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2021 3:17 pm

Re: Of all things Strange and Wild

Post by Zachary Splindt »

Perception: 1d100: [56] = 56 (23%)
JIC 1D100: 1d100: [81] = 81
JIC 1D20: 1d20: [8] = 8
Conditions: Closed to the Supernatural
Lore: Entities and Ghosts: 1d100: [82] = 82 (45%)

Zachary bristles at the mention of magics, but only for a moment. Trading a stuffy car for shady magic, I'm having the worst luck. Can't say I like the idea, but as long as it's against the ghosts, and not for 'em... "Eleven then. Sounds good. Guess we're going to need some supplies if we're going to dispose of those bones though. Could get some matches if we're gonna burn them, but we'll need to leave them out of the water. If it's one of those 'lay them to rest' sort of haunts, I should have a copy of the good book somewhere. Didn't check if there was a graveyard in town though." Zachary considers his options, but turns to his experience to try and recall the proper way to dispose of an angry spirit's remains. (Lore: Entities and Ghosts)
Sean Burke wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2023 7:06 am "I'm going to see if I can find a good bit of rope in one of those general stores, anyone want to come along? Almost a full day before we need to be back. Maybe we should grab a bite to eat and discuss our plan for tonight?"
"Bet we still have some time before dinner," Zachary replies, "wouldn't mind heading to a general store myself before we talk about the plan." Assuming the party is headed to the general store, Zachary thanks the Comstock siblings for their assistance.

At the general store, Zachary will look around for matches. He will also look to see if there are any raincoats available as well (especially those that may appear to be made of oilcloth). Not gonna be perfect, but bet I can keep my spare flashlight shining underwater a bit longer if I design it right, Zachary thinks to himself as he browses the shelves.

Having either found what he's looking for or otherwise, Zachary goes up to the cash and waves the teller over. News travels fast in these towns I hear. Hope he doesn't recognize us just yet... Clearing his throat, Zachary begins to speak. "Say friend, we're looking to rent a boat for a day or so. Don't suppose you might have an idea where we could find a rental or somesuch?"
User avatar
Theo
Diamond Level Patron
Posts: 71
Joined: Mon May 30, 2022 7:38 am

Re: Of all things Strange and Wild

Post by Theo »

Perception 31%: d100: [10] = 10
JIC: d100: [45] = 45 , d20: [18] = 18

Conditions:S.D.C.: 48/48, H.P.:33/33, Psionics (15+) +3, Lethal Poison (14+)/Non-Lethal Poison (16+) +0, Magic (Varies) +1, Horror Factor +1, SPD 21

Theo has sat in silence as they discuss matters beyond his understanding. Until he hears his name.
Consumer wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2023 7:06 pm Marie gestures back towards the vehicles. ”There are some magics that will allow you to survive a time underwater, and make swimming more natural to you. My brother happens to know such things. I assume once folks are closer to her resting place that it won’t matter what her motivations are, she’s likely to attack. It’s here that some of can use abilities at our disposal to help. Given that Theo is not gifted with any… unique abilities, I figured he could for sure be one of the people looking for the bones.” Maire says.
"Yeah I can help look for the bones." It's the only task I am good for here.
Consumer wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2023 7:06 pm Andrew speaks up once more. ”So we should meet back up here late tonight. Say around eleven, that should give us as much privacy as we can get.” The man says looking to his sister, who nods in agreement.
Theo also nods in agreement.
Sean Burke wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2023 7:06 am Sean offers to take whoever is interested in riding into town, "I'm going to see if I can find a good bit of rope in one of those general stores, anyone want to come along? Almost a full day before we need to be back. Maybe we should grab a bite to eat and discuss our plan for tonight?"
"I could eat, and I will go with you to get rope."

When everyone is ready he will load up into his car inviting Sean and Zachary join him to go to the Company Store.
User avatar
Consumer
Dimension Master
Posts: 1978
Joined: Sun Sep 13, 2009 2:26 pm
Location: GM/DM (The Templar, PW: Galactic Rogues, BTS:OGoA)
Contact:

Re: Of all things Strange and Wild

Post by Consumer »

A Visitor
Time and Weather wrote:Location: Glen Jean, West Virginia
Date: Tuesday, March 20th, 1925. 3:52 PM (30 Minutes has passed)
Weather: 53 degrees Fahrenheit; Light clouds.
I.S.P. Modifier: x2 Investigating the Supernatural
Case Notes
Marie and Andrew are preparing to leave in their truck. When Theo seems to animate once more to answer a comment posited a moment before.
Theo wrote:"Yeah I can help look for the bones."
Marie nods. ”Good to hear Theo.” Marie says.
Sean Burke wrote:"I'm going to see if I can find a good bit of rope in one of those general stores, anyone want to come along? Almost a full day before we need to be back. Maybe we should grab a bite to eat and discuss our plan for tonight?.. I'm interested in what tricks you have up your sleeve lass."
Zachary Splindt wrote:"Eleven then. Sounds good. Guess we're going to need some supplies if we're going to dispose of those bones though. Could get some matches if we're gonna burn them, but we'll need to leave them out of the water. If it's one of those 'lay them to rest' sort of haunts, I should have a copy of the good book somewhere. Didn't check if there was a graveyard in town though... Bet we still have some time before dinner," Zachary replies, "wouldn't mind heading to a general store myself before we talk about the plan."
Theo wrote:"I could eat, and I will go with you to get rope."
Marie seems to think for a minute. ”Andrew, we could also visit Carl when we’re out here.” Marie says to her brother.

”I suppose, I hope he’s not still annoyed with me. But I think that’s a good idea. How about nine o’clock should give us an hour to eat and time to get back here.” Andrew responds, before looking to the other investigators. ”Carl’s at nine… then here by eleven.” Andrew says as he starts the Model T truck.

Moments later the Comstock siblings are leaving the area to parts unknown. There is a bit of confusion as to who is going in what car, and in the end Theo and Zachary leave in Theo’s car, while Sean leaves in his truck.

Fifteen minutes later, the trio arrives at the company store, the only place they’ve visited that resembles a general store in this small town. Inside, the group is confronted by a very typical store with a wide variety of products. Those that are looking for rope find a variety of it, priced $1 per 50 foot. Matches run in two varieties, a box of 200 for $1 or a book of 20 for .25 cents. Raincoats run $3 a piece for some simple oilskin ponchos.
Zachary Splindt wrote:"Say friend, we're looking to rent a boat for a day or so. Don't suppose you might have an idea where we could find a rental or somesuch?"
The Clerk is a young man that Theo and Zachary have seen at least twice before today. He looks at Zachary with a bit of confusion. ”No sir, I don’t think that is something we sell or rent.”

Once the group makes its purchases, the investigators still have a few hours till the meeting time.

Just note what you’re buying in your next post.

If no one has anything in particular that they want to do, feel free to post that you arrive at Carl’s


What Are Your Intentions?

Callum: HP: 37/37, S.D.C.: 49/49, I.S.P.: 44/44.
Zachary: HP: 21/21, S.D.C. 29/29, I.S.P.: 14/14
Theo: HP: 20/20, S.D.C. 48/48

Sean: HP:18/18, S.D.C.: 50/50, I.S.P.: 20/24
"All things age. All things die. In the end, our sun burns out. Our universe grows cold and perishes. But the Dark Dimension, it’s the place beyond time."
GM of The Templar, Phase World: Galactic Rogues, Beyond the Supernatural: Old Gods of Appalachia
PP Ledger
User avatar
Sean Burke
Posts: 44
Joined: Tue Jul 11, 2023 10:47 am

Re: Of all things Strange and Wild

Post by Sean Burke »

Perception: 25% vs 1d100: [27] = 27
JIC: 1d20: [7] = 7 and 1d100: [1] = 1

Skills
Wilderness Survival 1d100: [20] = 20 vs 30% - inspect the rope

Sean runs the rope through his hand to feel for its construction. 100 ft should do it. If anyone gets further than that from us, it will be a bad night. Feeling comfortable to rope will suffice and 100 ft should do it he makes his way to the counter and lets the clerk know. "100 ft of that rope back there please." Sean pays the clerk what is owed and thanks him before bringing the rope out to his truck. He waits for anyone else in the store to finish before confirming they are all going to carl's "So Carl's? I guess we can head there early. It will give us a bit to talk before the Comstock's get there."

Sean heads to Carl's and looks for a table for 5. He takes a seat and waits for Theo and Zach to join them and asks, "So how long have you both been working together?" As he is curious who he is going to be working with, he also asks, "How long have you been studying the strange?"
User avatar
Zachary Splindt
Posts: 132
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2021 3:17 pm

Re: Of all things Strange and Wild

Post by Zachary Splindt »

Perception: 1d100: [26] = 26 (23%)
JIC 1D100: 1d100: [21] = 21
JIC 1D20: 1d20: [5] = 5
Conditions: Closed to the Supernatural
General Repair and Maintenance: 1d100: [8] = 8 (70%)

General Store
Consumer wrote: Tue Aug 29, 2023 1:43 pm ”No sir, I don’t think that is something we sell or rent.”
"No worries, thanks anyway." replies Zachary as his attention is drawn to the oilskin ponchos. Might have to go for more of a swim than we bargained for thinks Zachary to himself. The recollection that Zachary and Theo had in fact visited this store once before hits the detective suddenly, and he quickens his pace to avoid making the situation more awkward.

Scanning the shelves, Zachary grabs one of the oilskin ponchos and a book of 20 matches. Zachary will also look for either adhesive tape, glue, or even adhesive bandages for first-aid kits. As he waits for Sean to finish his transaction, the detective's thoughts turn back to Marie's mention of Carl. They knew each other? Guess you would expect a place like this to be a bit more tight knit than the big city. Wonder what's the scoop between Andrew and Carl though. Hope I won't have to play mediator.

Noticing Sean had made his purchase, Zachary steps forward and pays the $3.25 for the poncho and matches. Zachary will also cover the cost of the adhesive. Zachary gives a silent nod as thanks and departs the store. As Zachary steps out the door, he hears Sean's voice.
Sean Burke wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2023 4:38 am "So Carl's? I guess we can head there early. It will give us a bit to talk before the Comstock's get there."
"Could go for a good coffee or three myself," replies Zachary with a smile, "It's a nice place for a chilly day like this. We should make sure we have everything first though. Reckon a firearm isn't going to be much help against a haunting like this, but it never hurts." As if out of habit, Zachary checks his coat pocket for the wooden stakes he carries with him. Trying to recall whether he brought his revolver, Zachary searches his coat pockets for that too.

Taking Theo's car, Zachary will tear off strips of the oilskin poncho and wrap them around the flashlight. Zachary will then use the adhesive to try and keep the oilskin in place. General Repair and Maintenance if applicable.

Carl's
Taking a seat across from Sean, Zachary is quick to order a couple cups of coffee. If Carl is in the building, Zachary will give a quick wave. As Sean speaks his inquiry, Zachary fidgets with his book of matches and looks around for other patrons.
Sean Burke wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2023 4:38 am "So how long have you both been working together? How long have you been studying the strange?"
Zachary hesitates to respond to the question at first, noting how being in like-minded company for so long could unintentionally lead to a slip of the tongue if not careful. Upon recollection of Sean's earlier actions, namely what appeared to be speaking to an imaginary friend, Zachary decides to answer in honesty.
"Been doing this kind of work for a long while now. Used to work Pinkerton's, but those days are a long ways behind me. Now as for the strange, I've been working on that even longer." Zachary pauses to take a sip of coffee if it's ready, or drums his fingers on the table if not. While Zachary might have kept the next few details a secret prior to having arrived in Prosperity, the detective finds himself more comfortable to open up a bit more. "Lost family to machinery at a local factory once. Foreman says it was a mechanical accident, I say it was a haunting. Never met a ghost that didn't jump for the kill. Ever since, I've been using this detective job to hunt down phantoms like our friend in the lake" Zachary holds up the box of matches as he continues. "Lay it to rest, send it to hell, I don't care. If there's a ghost about, it needs to go back into its grave."

"There used to be more of us around," continues Zachary as he puts down the match box, "We were 'drawn' here by nightmares not too long ago. Ended up in some dead captain's estate, and cleared out some hounds that had made it their home. Since then, we received a few more leads by a colleague of the captain. One of those leads just happens to be about the drownings we've been looking into. Maybe it'll give us some answers about those nightmares. Carl seems to think so. Between you and me though, I think he knows more about this than he's letting on." Zachary looks at Theo, then Sean. "That reminds me, I don't think I had the chance to ask. Were you two 'called' by nightmares as well?"
User avatar
Theo
Diamond Level Patron
Posts: 71
Joined: Mon May 30, 2022 7:38 am

Re: Of all things Strange and Wild

Post by Theo »

Perception 31%: d100: [59] = 59
JIC: d100: [62] = 62 , d20: [19] = 19

Conditions:S.D.C.: 48/48, H.P.:33/33, Psionics (15+) +3, Lethal Poison (14+)/Non-Lethal Poison (16+) +0, Magic (Varies) +1, Horror Factor +1, SPD 21
Sean Burke wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2023 4:38 am Sean heads to Carl's and looks for a table for 5. He takes a seat and waits for Theo and Zach to join them and asks, "So how long have you both been working together?" As he is curious who he is going to be working with, he also asks, "How long have you been studying the strange?"
"Can't call myself much of a student of the strange. I haven't really studied much. I was drawn here because one of the soldiers in my squad was from these parts. He was also my best friend. He died overseas in I guess what you would call strange events. Had an encounter while examining a crime scene in Richmond that brought back the memories of that event and I felt it was time I come and meet his family. Next thing I know I meet Carl and a group of people who investigate the strange, and joined up. Me and Zachary are the only one's left from the original group. Zachary is far more competent than I am with this stuff. I find the skills of a normal detective seem somewhat useless in these cases. It is hard to find that which you can't see.", he says with a nervous laugh. "But you guys have given me hope of actually doing something productive, so I am here to help any way I can." Hopefully we can lay whatever this is to rest.

Theo goes over to the clothing section and grabs a pair of underwear to change into after he swims in the lake. He lays 60 cents on the counter.
User avatar
Consumer
Dimension Master
Posts: 1978
Joined: Sun Sep 13, 2009 2:26 pm
Location: GM/DM (The Templar, PW: Galactic Rogues, BTS:OGoA)
Contact:

Re: Of all things Strange and Wild

Post by Consumer »

A Visitor
Time and Weather wrote:Location: Glen Jean, West Virginia
Date: Tuesday, March 20th, 1925. 5:22 PM (1.5 hours has passed)
Weather: 53 degrees Fahrenheit; Light clouds.
I.S.P. Modifier: x2 Investigating the Supernatural
Case Notes
The shopping is uneventful and rather mundane, taking a whole twenty minutes to complete everything. Purchases in hand the trio of investigators decide to head to Carls much earlier than the plan set. With Sean following Theo, the group arrives at Carl’s Diner approximately an hour later. The parking lot is a bit crowded with it being dinner time. The trio is able to find a seat large enough for themselves and their two future guests. After only being seated for a minute or two at best, one of the waitress’ approaches the table. ”Evening dears, can I get your order?” Some drinks are ordered and delivered relatively quickly before the group gets into a conversation.
Sean Burke wrote:"So how long have you both been working together?.. How long have you been studying the strange?"
Zachary Splindt wrote:"Been doing this kind of work for a long while now. Used to work Pinkerton's, but those days are a long ways behind me. Now as for the strange, I've been working on that even longer... Lost family to machinery at a local factory once. Foreman says it was a mechanical accident, I say it was a haunting. Never met a ghost that didn't jump for the kill. Ever since, I've been using this detective job to hunt down phantoms like our friend in the lake... Lay it to rest, send it to hell, I don't care. If there's a ghost about, it needs to go back into its grave."

"There used to be more of us around,.. We were 'drawn' here by nightmares not too long ago. Ended up in some dead captain's estate, and cleared out some hounds that had made it their home. Since then, we received a few more leads by a colleague of the captain. One of those leads just happens to be about the drownings we've been looking into. Maybe it'll give us some answers about those nightmares. Carl seems to think so. Between you and me though, I think he knows more about this than he's letting on... That reminds me, I don't think I had the chance to ask. Were you two 'called' by nightmares as well?"
Theo wrote:"Can't call myself much of a student of the strange. I haven't really studied much. I was drawn here because one of the soldiers in my squad was from these parts. He was also my best friend. He died overseas in I guess what you would call strange events. Had an encounter while examining a crime scene in Richmond that brought back the memories of that event and I felt it was time I come and meet his family. Next thing I know I meet Carl and a group of people who investigate the strange, and joined up. Me and Zachary are the only one's left from the original group. Zachary is far more competent than I am with this stuff. I find the skills of a normal detective seem somewhat useless in these cases. It is hard to find that which you can't see... But you guys have given me hope of actually doing something productive, so I am here to help any way I can."
I’m going to give you one more week to converse before the Comstocks arrive. ~Consumer

What Are Your Intentions?

Callum: HP: 37/37, S.D.C.: 49/49, I.S.P.: 44/44.
Zachary: HP: 21/21, S.D.C. 29/29, I.S.P.: 14/14
Theo: HP: 20/20, S.D.C. 48/48

Sean: HP:18/18, S.D.C.: 50/50, I.S.P.: 20/24
"All things age. All things die. In the end, our sun burns out. Our universe grows cold and perishes. But the Dark Dimension, it’s the place beyond time."
GM of The Templar, Phase World: Galactic Rogues, Beyond the Supernatural: Old Gods of Appalachia
PP Ledger
User avatar
Sean Burke
Posts: 44
Joined: Tue Jul 11, 2023 10:47 am

Re: Of all things Strange and Wild

Post by Sean Burke »

Perception: 25% vs 1d100: [78] = 78
JIC: 1d20: [5] = 5 and 1d100: [44] = 44

Sean listens to the two men's answers as he takes a sip of his drink.
Zachary Splindt wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2023 6:43 am"That reminds me, I don't think I had the chance to ask. Were you two 'called' by nightmares as well?"
Sean looks to Zach and laughs, "Only if you consider a pretty bird who dismisses your advances a nightmare." With a further chuckle he continues, "Sounds like you have more experience than I. Not really sure I fully understand it all yet, or even believe. Could all be a bit of undigested beef for all I know."
Theo wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2023 5:31 am"Can't call myself much of a student of the strange. I haven't really studied much. I was drawn here because one of the soldiers in my squad was from these parts. He was also my best friend. He died overseas in I guess what you would call strange events. Had an encounter while examining a crime scene in Richmond that brought back the memories of that event and I felt it was time I come and meet his family. Next thing I know I meet Carl and a group of people who investigate the strange, and joined up. Me and Zachary are the only one's left from the original group. Zachary is far more competent than I am with this stuff. I find the skills of a normal detective seem somewhat useless in these cases. It is hard to find that which you can't see.", he says with a nervous laugh. "But you guys have given me hope of actually doing something productive, so I am here to help any way I can."
Sean tilts his head a bit at the mention of others. Wondering if their lack of presence has to do with the entity he asks, "So what happened to the others?"

Taking a moment to introduce himself further Sean tells the two a little bit about himself. "So, this whole spiritual thing has mostly been a problem for me growing up. My ma and pa, they don't believe in such. It isn't till the last couple years that I have really had the freedom to explore what has been happening to me for so long. Marie and Andrew have been a good source of information and learning for me. I wouldn't go relying on my experience if I was either of you. I'm here to help and learn. I'm far from any kind of expert."
User avatar
Theo
Diamond Level Patron
Posts: 71
Joined: Mon May 30, 2022 7:38 am

Re: Of all things Strange and Wild

Post by Theo »

Perception 31%: d100: [52] = 52
JIC: d100: [93] = 93 , [roll]d20[[/roll]

Conditions:S.D.C.: 48/48, H.P.:33/33, Psionics (15+) +3, Lethal Poison (14+)/Non-Lethal Poison (16+) +0, Magic (Varies) +1, Horror Factor +1, SPD 21
Sean Burke wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2023 9:51 am Sean looks to Zach and laughs, "Only if you consider a pretty bird who dismisses your advances a nightmare."
“She is a hard read but I wouldn’t take it personally. She seems to know a lot about this stuff. Seems very knowledgeable. I have barely dipped my toe in the waters of this stuff and I am not sure I have had my entire worldview turned upside down. Knowing as much as she does has to make her hardened to have survived it this long.”
Sean Burke wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2023 9:51 am Sean tilts his head a bit at the mention of others. Wondering if their lack of presence has to do with the entity he asks, "So what happened to the others?"
.

“I think Ari got smart. He had taken the caregiver role for his niece. She was special. She was very intelligent but struggled with talking to people. I think he realized the life path they had taken. It had risked her life once from what I understand. Maybe he thought that was a worst case scenario, but this entity is as dangerous if not more so, so I think he saw a future he didn’t want for his niece. And I don’t blame him. Callum was a good man, and he saw a lot in the war that haunted him. He also had abilities from what I gathered, but again the war made a lot of things difficult to cope with and this would be no different. Maybe this is one of those things that the more you learn the more disturbing the world becomes. I feel that way sometimes. I am Soldier, I will see this through to the end. Then I will see where I end up.”
Sean Burke wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2023 9:51 am Taking a moment to introduce himself further Sean tells the two a little bit about himself. "So, this whole spiritual thing has mostly been a problem for me growing up. My ma and pa, they don't believe in such. It isn't till the last couple years that I have really had the freedom to explore what has been happening to me for so long. Marie and Andrew have been a good source of information and learning for me. I wouldn't go relying on my experience if I was either of you. I'm here to help and learn. I'm far from any kind of expert."
Sam told similar stories about his childhood.

“My best friend Sam, I think he was like you. He was from these parts actually. He was my corporal throughout most of the War. I lost him in Argonne. I didn’t know it then but that was the first time I experienced something from this world. His parents knew he had abilities. His life was harder than he ever let on I think. My point is I don’t think when you have these abilities an easy life is in the cards. Good news is you gives us eyes where we have none. If you folks hadn’t shown we would be lost.”
User avatar
Zachary Splindt
Posts: 132
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2021 3:17 pm

Re: Of all things Strange and Wild

Post by Zachary Splindt »

Perception: 1d100: [66] = 66
JIC 1D100: 1d100: [31] = 31
JIC 1D20: 1d20: [8] = 8
Conditions: Closed to the Supernatural
Theo wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2023 6:55 pm
Sean Burke wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2023 9:51 am Sean tilts his head a bit at the mention of others. Wondering if their lack of presence has to do with the entity he asks, "So what happened to the others?"
.

“I think Ari got smart. He had taken the caregiver role for his niece. She was special. She was very intelligent but struggled with talking to people. I think he realized the life path they had taken. It had risked her life once from what I understand. Maybe he thought that was a worst case scenario, but this entity is as dangerous if not more so, so I think he saw a future he didn’t want for his niece. And I don’t blame him. Callum was a good man, and he saw a lot in the war that haunted him. He also had abilities from what I gathered, but again the war made a lot of things difficult to cope with and this would be no different. Maybe this is one of those things that the more you learn the more disturbing the world becomes. I feel that way sometimes. I am Soldier, I will see this through to the end. Then I will see where I end up.”
[/quote]

"There was one more, wasn't there? Virginia was her name. Was a big help in clearing out some hounds from an old house, the one we live in now actually. You're welcome to shack up with us if you need a place to stay, right Theo?" Zachary pauses to take a sip of his coffee. "Not sure what happened to her, though she seemed to be in a bit of a hurry. Maybe had some unfinished business to take care of." Zachary tries to listen to the rest of the conversation, but Sean's early reply to the inquiry on nightmares made him pause. Our old gang was brought there because of those same nightmares. Carl had some idea of it too. Guess it's good news Sean isn't going through it, but Theo... not sure if that was a yes or a no. Maybe I oughta ask again later.
Theo wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2023 6:55 pm
Sean Burke wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2023 9:51 am Taking a moment to introduce himself further Sean tells the two a little bit about himself. "So, this whole spiritual thing has mostly been a problem for me growing up. My ma and pa, they don't believe in such. It isn't till the last couple years that I have really had the freedom to explore what has been happening to me for so long. Marie and Andrew have been a good source of information and learning for me. I wouldn't go relying on my experience if I was either of you. I'm here to help and learn. I'm far from any kind of expert."
Sam told similar stories about his childhood.

“My best friend Sam, I think he was like you. He was from these parts actually. He was my corporal throughout most of the War. I lost him in Argonne. I didn’t know it then but that was the first time I experienced something from this world. His parents knew he had abilities. His life was harder than he ever let on I think. My point is I don’t think when you have these abilities an easy life is in the cards. Good news is you gives us eyes where we have none. If you folks hadn’t shown we would be lost.”
Zachary nods in agreement. "I've been hunting these things for quite some time, but that gut feeling really doesn't work as well as actually seeing these things. Bet that's gonna really come in handy when we go swimming for those bones at the bottom of the lake especially if Maria and Andrew can't keep it away from us for long. Speaking of, are all three of us going for that swim tonight? I want to take care of that ghost personally, but remember what we learned earlier. That ghost seems to go after men who've done some wrong in their lives. I've done my share of breaking and entering myself while working on cases, but nothing like the Maynard brothers or Mr. Gypsum" Zachary waits for a response.
User avatar
Consumer
Dimension Master
Posts: 1978
Joined: Sun Sep 13, 2009 2:26 pm
Location: GM/DM (The Templar, PW: Galactic Rogues, BTS:OGoA)
Contact:

Re: Of all things Strange and Wild

Post by Consumer »

A Visitor
Time and Weather wrote:Location: Glen Jean, West Virginia
Date: Tuesday, March 20th, 1925. 8:02 PM (One hour and Forty minutes has passed)
Weather: 53 degrees Fahrenheit; Light clouds.
I.S.P. Modifier: x2 Investigating the Supernatural
Case Notes
The trio continue to chat, talking about their own pasts for the most part. A time passes, and a few cups of coffee later. The crowd at Carl’s dies down, with only a few folks sitting at the bar eating late meals remaining. The door opens with a chime of the bell attached, and the Comstock siblings arrive. Carl is the first one to speak, having come from the back at seemingly the exact precise moment. ”Andrew, you still owe me money.” Carl says in a loud enough tone to be heard, but not loud enough to be considered yelling.

Andrew sighs and begins digging in his pockets, while Marie approaches the owner of the Diner. ”Carl, it’s lovely to see you. I see our companions are already here.” Marie says, gesturing to the trio of investigators at the table.

”Marie, a pleasure as always. I am assuming there is trouble being dealt with this evening? If you need anything let me know.” Carl says before Andrew approaches and hands Carl a handful of crumpled bills. ”That should make us even… ish.” Andrew says sheepishly. Carl looks at the money, seemingly weighing it in his mind. ”Ish, indeed. Meredith some coffee for the Comstocks.” Carl says before taking his usual spot on the bar’s end.

Marie and Andrew sit down and look to Sean, Zachary, and Theo. ”So you guys ready?” Andrew asks.

What Are Your Intentions?

Callum: HP: 37/37, S.D.C.: 49/49, I.S.P.: 44/44.
Zachary: HP: 21/21, S.D.C. 29/29, I.S.P.: 14/14
Theo: HP: 20/20, S.D.C. 48/48

Sean: HP:18/18, S.D.C.: 50/50, I.S.P.: 20/24
"All things age. All things die. In the end, our sun burns out. Our universe grows cold and perishes. But the Dark Dimension, it’s the place beyond time."
GM of The Templar, Phase World: Galactic Rogues, Beyond the Supernatural: Old Gods of Appalachia
PP Ledger
User avatar
Theo
Diamond Level Patron
Posts: 71
Joined: Mon May 30, 2022 7:38 am

Re: Of all things Strange and Wild

Post by Theo »

Perception 31%: d100: [94] = 94
JIC: d100: [26] = 26 , [roll]d20[[/roll]

Conditions:S.D.C.: 48/48, H.P.:33/33, Psionics (15+) +3, Lethal Poison (14+)/Non-Lethal Poison (16+) +0, Magic (Varies) +1, Horror Factor +1, SPD 21

As everyone arrives and gets settled Theo stands as Marie approaches the table as is the appropriate response when a lady intends on sitting. This supernatural world, appears to be a small one. That or Carl sent for the Comstocks, upon hearing of the others departure. He finds himself staring at Carl. If Eye contact is made he will smile at Carl nod his head with a smile that says 'Thank you'.
Consumer wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2023 8:50 am Marie and Andrew sit down and look to Sean, Zachary, and Theo. ”So you guys ready?” Andrew asks.
"Ready? For a Swim? Sure. Facing a Supernatural Entity that targets violent men, with 32 confirmed kills, in France? Not so much. But it is worth it to put whatever malevolence there is to rest, especially if that malevolence is attached to someone who suffered in life only then to suffer the pain of seeking vengeance in Death." What the hell was that Theo? Where the hell did that come from. "Sorry, that was weird, not sure what made me phrase it that way. Anyway we got rope and other sundries necessary to do what needs to be done." He takes another bite of his food, and a drink of his coffee.

"How long have you guys known Carl?"
User avatar
Sean Burke
Posts: 44
Joined: Tue Jul 11, 2023 10:47 am

Re: Of all things Strange and Wild

Post by Sean Burke »

Perception: 25% vs 1d100: [35] = 35
JIC: 1d20: [6] = 6 and 1d100: [69] = 69

Sean smile at Theo's response, "I think there is a bit more to it than just killin, Theo. You do any of that for a selfish reason? Any malevolence in upholding your duties? From the little I have seen of you; you seem spot on to me." Turning to Marie he continues, "How does one ever get ready for the unknown. Thats like asking a virgin if he is ready for his first kiss... The bugger's willing, but he sure in hades isn't ready."

Sean chuckles, "You got three willing participants in this little experiment from what I see. I wholly doubt any of us is ready."

He considers the unknown for a moment to himself, well, if I survive, this might help me understand things a little more. If. If the beastie is even real. Could be a real killer out there. Still, that lake didn't give off the best of feelings. Sean decides to ignore to upcoming task and avoid the nerves, no point in dwelling on it. you only live once.

After the brief pause Sean counters, "Are you two ready? What's the plan?"
User avatar
Zachary Splindt
Posts: 132
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2021 3:17 pm

Re: Of all things Strange and Wild

Post by Zachary Splindt »

Perception: 1d100: [94] = 94 (23%)
JIC 1D100: 1d100: [25] = 25
JIC 1D20: 1d20: [15] = 15
Conditions: Closed to the Supernatural

As the hours pass and the guests file out, Zachary’s demeanor changes. Unlike the hounds the took the life of the good Captain Whitlach, the detective’s familiarity with hauntings gave the event a personal stake. What do we do with the remains or whatever is hiding down there? Can’t imagine it’ll just pass on after we take care of will it? the detective thought to himself, A spirit would be out to kill, a burial might just move the haunt elsewhere, won’t it? Maybe if we find the remains, we would be better off burni-

Before Zachary can finish his thought, the commotion of the Comstock siblings and Carl cut him off. The display is far less hostile than Zachary had originally envisioned it to be. “Suppose you two have worked together before? You seem awfully friendly, unless it’s the late hour playing tricks on me. Anyway, it seems we’re all set to meet this ghost of ours. I’m looking forward to sending this ghost back to the hell it came from.” Zachary, noticing he had gotten a bit worked up as he spoke, calms himself down and continues “Remember though, that the ghost went after people with nasty reputations. That means any of us who might have wronged someone might be the first on that phantom’s list.” Zachary glances at the Comstock siblings. “If I recall, you guys plan on keeping that thing distracted while we take our dive into the lake? You sure you have the eyes to see it?
User avatar
Consumer
Dimension Master
Posts: 1978
Joined: Sun Sep 13, 2009 2:26 pm
Location: GM/DM (The Templar, PW: Galactic Rogues, BTS:OGoA)
Contact:

Re: Of all things Strange and Wild

Post by Consumer »

A Visitor
Time and Weather wrote:Location: Glen Jean, West Virginia
Date: Tuesday, March 20th, 1925. 9:02 PM (One hour has passed)
Weather: 53 degrees Fahrenheit; Light clouds.
I.S.P. Modifier: x2 Investigating the Supernatural
Case Notes
Theo wrote:"Ready? For a Swim? Sure. Facing a Supernatural Entity that targets violent men, with 32 confirmed kills, in France? Not so much. But it is worth it to put whatever malevolence there is to rest, especially if that malevolence is attached to someone who suffered in life only then to suffer the pain of seeking vengeance in Death... Sorry, that was weird, not sure what made me phrase it that way. Anyway we got rope and other sundries necessary to do what needs to be done...How long have you guys known Carl?"
The Comstock siblings seem to take the melodrama in stride. ”All our lives really, Carl was friends with our parents.” Andrew answers while taking a sip from his coffee.
Sean Burke wrote:"I think there is a bit more to it than just killin, Theo. You do any of that for a selfish reason? Any malevolence in upholding your duties? From the little I have seen of you; you seem spot on to me... How does one ever get ready for the unknown. Thats like asking a virgin if he is ready for his first kiss... The bugger's willing, but he sure in hades isn't ready... You got three willing participants in this little experiment from what I see. I wholly doubt any of us is ready... Are you two ready? What's the plan?"
”We have all the materials for the workings, so we’re as ready as we can be.” Marie responds gesturing for Carl.
Zachary Splindt wrote:Suppose you two have worked together before? You seem awfully friendly, unless it’s the late hour playing tricks on me. Anyway, it seems we’re all set to meet this ghost of ours. I’m looking forward to sending this ghost back to the hell it came from... Remember though, that the ghost went after people with nasty reputations. That means any of us who might have wronged someone might be the first on that phantom’s list... If I recall, you guys plan on keeping that thing distracted while we take our dive into the lake? You sure you have the eyes to see it?
Andrew smiles. ”A simple working will make it so we can see it, and Sean is naturally talented in such things so he won’t need anything. While Theo and Zachary look for the bones, we will use abilities at our disposal to distract or fight the ghost. Our powers are not limitless, so don’t dilly-dally in your search. The swimmers will receive two enchantments each, one to make swimming easier, and one to negate the need for air for a time. Marie will place a lightsource in the water for you to see. Meanwhile Sean and myself will be on the lookout for the ghost. Once we have her bones, I have a specially prepared shroud for them, should neutralize it long enough to get it buried on consecrated ground.” Andrew retells the plan once more with a bit more detail than the first telling. ”Any questions, if not the witching hour approaches.

Carl approaches. ”What can I do for you Marie?” Carl asks.

”These gentlemen, do you believe they are up to the task of putting a ghost to rest tonight?” Marie asks, before sipping from her coffee.

Carl pauses, steps away to the counter and rummages for something before coming back. Carl tears open a tea bag and pours a pinch of it onto the table. Carl seems to concentrate on the tea leaves for several long moments, before speaking again. ”Weal and Woe. Possible, yes, Dangerous, also yes.” Carl says before shrugging. ”I would think as long as they’re smart about their tasks, they’ll do just fine.” Carl finishes before nodding and walking back to his spot at the bar.

”That settles that. Shall we make our trip then?” Andrew says to the group.

What Are Your Intentions?

Callum: HP: 37/37, S.D.C.: 49/49, I.S.P.: 44/44.
Zachary: HP: 21/21, S.D.C. 29/29, I.S.P.: 14/14
Theo: HP: 20/20, S.D.C. 48/48

Sean: HP:18/18, S.D.C.: 50/50, I.S.P.: 20/24
"All things age. All things die. In the end, our sun burns out. Our universe grows cold and perishes. But the Dark Dimension, it’s the place beyond time."
GM of The Templar, Phase World: Galactic Rogues, Beyond the Supernatural: Old Gods of Appalachia
PP Ledger
User avatar
Sean Burke
Posts: 44
Joined: Tue Jul 11, 2023 10:47 am

Re: Of all things Strange and Wild

Post by Sean Burke »

Perception: 25% vs 1d100: [48] = 48
JIC: 1d20: [19] = 19 and 1d100: [5] = 5

Sean watches as Carl works with the tea leaves. It all seems like mumbo jumbo, even me. Can it be real? It always seems so. Sean look at Carl and winks, "Got it, be smart and we should be ok." He allows a short breath of a chuckle as he considers, Sound like sound advice for most people in most situations. Turning to Marie he says, "No better time than the present. Ill take my truck, anyone who needs a ride can jump in as well."

If no one disagrees Sean will leave money for the bill and a decent tip then make his way to the truck. Take a seat i the ruck and closing the door he sighs, "Hopefully we get out of this one intact."
OOC Comments
Speaking to himself if no one joins him.
Sean starts the truck and makes his way back to the lake.
User avatar
Zachary Splindt
Posts: 132
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2021 3:17 pm

Re: Of all things Strange and Wild

Post by Zachary Splindt »

Perception: 1d100: [68] = 68
JIC 1D100: 1d100: [44] = 44
JIC 1D20: 1d20: [15] = 15
Conditions: Closed to the Supernatural

Zachary listens to the Comstock siblings' reply, but winces at the mention of any kind of enhancements or a shroud. His immediate reaction is to stand and open his mouth to object, but ultimately says nothing when he cannot find an alternative. As long as the ghost is gone by next sunrise, the detective thinks to himself, guess I can grin and bear it for a while longer.
Sean Burke wrote: Sun Sep 24, 2023 9:43 am "No better time than the present. Ill take my truck, anyone who needs a ride can jump in as well."
"I'll ah, take a ride as well," replies Zachary as he prepares to depart. While Theo's car was helpful in getting around town, the detective did not appreciate the cramped space quite as much as the truck. As Zachary and Sean (as well as Theo if he's taking a ride as well), Zachary takes a moment to inspect the tires and exhaust pipe for potential traces of phantoms. Satisfied that the vehicle is (presumably) untouched, Zachary takes a seat.
Sean Burke wrote: Sun Sep 24, 2023 9:43 am "Hopefully we get out of this one intact."
Zachary sighs and chuckles at Sean's remark. The detective's hand however, is drawn by reaction to his ribs where the hounds had injured him all that time ago. "This was always the worst part of ghost hunting. There's always that chill right before you get started. Seems the Comstock siblings know what they're doing. We just need to make it quick." The detective checks his coat pocket for his modified flashlight, but also looks for his usual wooden stakes. "We'll be counting on your eyes though." Zachary continues, "I may hunt ghosts, but I can't see them the same way you do. Reckon Theo can't either." Zachary grins. "You'll have to show me how to do that sometime."
User avatar
Consumer
Dimension Master
Posts: 1978
Joined: Sun Sep 13, 2009 2:26 pm
Location: GM/DM (The Templar, PW: Galactic Rogues, BTS:OGoA)
Contact:

Re: Of all things Strange and Wild

Post by Consumer »

A Visitor
Time and Weather wrote:Location: Glen Jean, West Virginia
Date: Tuesday, March 20th, 1925. 11:00 PM (One hour 58 miutes has passed)
Weather: 53 degrees Fahrenheit; Light clouds.
I.S.P. Modifier: x2 Investigating the Supernatural
Case Notes
Sean Burke wrote:"Got it, be smart and we should be ok... No better time than the present. Ill take my truck, anyone who needs a ride can jump in as well."
Zachary Splindt wrote:"I'll ah, take a ride as well,"

The rest of the meal and coffee are finished and the bill is paid for. Sean is the one to initiate the group’s getting on the road, with Zachary deciding to ride with Sean versus his usual spot in Theo’s car. In either case, the Comstock siblings make there way in their old Ford truck, while Theo drives his car alone.
Sean Burke wrote:"Hopefully we get out of this one intact."
Zachary Splindt wrote: "This was always the worst part of ghost hunting. There's always that chill right before you get started. Seems the Comstock siblings know what they're doing. We just need to make it quick... We'll be counting on your eyes though... I may hunt ghosts, but I can't see them the same way you do. Reckon Theo can't either... You'll have to show me how to do that sometime."
In Sean’s truck, Sean and Zachary converse a bit on the hour-long drive back to Glen Jean. Traffic is light to non-existent on the road heading in, but the groups can see the town itself is more lively than during the day with Miners living it up in the many places of entertainment to be had. Sadly entertainment isn’t what the investigators are here for as they turn off the road and follow the trail to the small lake or overly large pond.

As the Investigators park a few things become obvious, the noises one would attribute to night near a body of water are not around, the area is particularly quiet. The Comstock siblings move from the cab of their truck and start grabbing a few things from the bed of it.

Once everyone is gathered together, Andrew speaks up. ”These spells aren’t particularly long lasting, so once they’re cast you are on a time clock. So prepare however you see fit, and we’ll get started.” Andrew says.

The siblings give Zachary and Theo as much time as they need to prepare themselves for the dive into the likely briskly cold water.

Code: Select all

[inline=Swim as a Fish]Range: Self or others up to 10 ft away.
Duration: 5 minutes (20 melees) per level of experience.
Saving Throw: None
P.P.E.: Six
An incantation that provides the character with exceptional swimming abilities . Equal to Advanced Swimming and S.C.U.B.A. skills combined: Base Skill is 96%, can swim a distance of 100 x P.S. in yards/meters without tiring, additional + I to parry and dodge while in water, and can hold breath for two minutes at a time.[/inline] (25:00 minutes), [inline=Breathe without Air]Range: Self or others by touch.
Duration: 12 melees (3 minutes) per level of experience.
Saving Throw: None
P.P.E.: Five
This invocation enables the person to function normally without air, whether it be underwater or in a vacuum, or in an area with little or no oxygen. Unfortunately, the magic does not protect the person from magic toxins or other types of magic, but does protect against natural and man-made gases.[/inline] (15:00 minutes)
When Theo and Zachary are ready, the Comstock’s mutter a few phrases in Latin and make a few hand gestures. ”You should find swimming real easy now, and not need to breathe for a while. I’m gonna drop a light source in the lake, and we’ll keep an eye out for the ghost.” Marie says as she does just as she says, a few words in a foreign tongue with a few hand gestures, and a very bright source of light appears in the lake, just under the surface.

”Good hunting.” Andrew says as he begins casting less noticeable spells upon himself and his sister.

What Are Your Intentions?

Callum: HP: 37/37, S.D.C.: 49/49, I.S.P.: 44/44.
Zachary: HP: 21/21, S.D.C. 29/29, I.S.P.: 14/14
Theo: HP: 20/20, S.D.C. 48/48

Sean: HP:18/18, S.D.C.: 50/50, I.S.P.: 20/24
"All things age. All things die. In the end, our sun burns out. Our universe grows cold and perishes. But the Dark Dimension, it’s the place beyond time."
GM of The Templar, Phase World: Galactic Rogues, Beyond the Supernatural: Old Gods of Appalachia
PP Ledger
User avatar
Sean Burke
Posts: 44
Joined: Tue Jul 11, 2023 10:47 am

Re: Of all things Strange and Wild

Post by Sean Burke »

Perception: 25% vs 1d100: [59] = 59
JIC: 1d20: [4] = 4 and 1d100: [36] = 36

Sean stands by quietly as the Theo, Zach and the Comstock's prepare. He helps get Theo and Zach ready for the swim and offers to tie the rope around each of them as a way to pull them out should something go wrong. "You boys better be quick about it. Won't be good to get caught down there with an angry lass. Hell hath no fury and all..." He turns to look at the lake quickly then back to the team. "I'll try to distract her... Maybe give you both a little more time with no duress. Good luck" Sean offers his hand to Zach and Theo.

After he makes his way to the lakes edge and looks out and around the water. He does his best to calm his heart and mind and prepare himself to open up to the others. Knowing the beasty is connected to the water, Sean takes off his shoes and socks, then rolls his pants up the best he can. He steps into the water a little past ankle deep and starts to call out to the girl, Maybe I can distract her a bit, give the boys a little more time to make it to her bones.

Not knowing if she can hear him the way he hopes, he starts, "Come on out darlin. Talk with me a bit, won't yah? I mean you no harm, I would be honored to know yer story."

Sean keeps his eyes peeled for any sign of the girl ghost and reports it immediately if seen.
User avatar
Zachary Splindt
Posts: 132
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2021 3:17 pm

Re: Of all things Strange and Wild

Post by Zachary Splindt »

Perception: 1d100: [75] = 75 (27%)
JIC 1D100: 1d100: [86] = 86
JIC 1D20: 1d20: [17] = 17
Conditions: Closed to the Supernatural,
Range: Self or others up to 10 ft away.
Duration: 5 minutes (20 melees) per level of experience.
Saving Throw: None
P.P.E.: Six
An incantation that provides the character with exceptional swimming abilities . Equal to Advanced Swimming and S.C.U.B.A. skills combined: Base Skill is 96%, can swim a distance of 100 x P.S. in yards/meters without tiring, additional + I to parry and dodge while in water, and can hold breath for two minutes at a time.
(25:00 minutes),
Range: Self or others by touch.
Duration: 12 melees (3 minutes) per level of experience.
Saving Throw: None
P.P.E.: Five
This invocation enables the person to function normally without air, whether it be underwater or in a vacuum, or in an area with little or no oxygen. Unfortunately, the magic does not protect the person from magic toxins or other types of magic, but does protect against natural and man-made gases.
(15:00 minutes)
Crime Scene Investigation: 1d100: [34] = 34 (70%)
Swimming: 1d100: [84] = 84 (96%)

The quiet is unsettling to the detective, and makes that shadows around the lake feel ever darker. Though the bothersome and suspicious machinery of the mines is far behind him, Zachary can't help but sense a stronger sense of unease than usual. The oppressive atmosphere is slightly broken upon hearing Sean begin to speak.
Sean Burke wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2023 9:01 am Sean stands by quietly as the Theo, Zach and the Comstock's prepare. He helps get Theo and Zach ready for the swim and offers to tie the rope around each of them as a way to pull them out should something go wrong. "You boys better be quick about it. Won't be good to get caught down there with an angry lass. Hell hath no fury and all..." He turns to look at the lake quickly then back to the team. "I'll try to distract her... Maybe give you both a little more time with no duress. Good luck" Sean offers his hand to Zach and Theo.
"Sure as heck not your regular ghost hunt, that's for sure," replies Zachary, "Damned shame we couldn't find a boat in the end." Zachary glances at the rope, and tries to gauge how long it might be. "Hope you got enough rope there. Wouldn't want it to become that ghost's fishing line, that's for sure."

Holding out the small, hopefully water-resistant flashlight, Zachary continues. "I'll keep an eye on Theo and I. If it looks like one of us is in danger, I'll try flashing this light and giving the rope a strong tug. Hope you can take that as the cue to pull us out." Taking Sean and Theo's hands and giving them a shake Zachary steals a glance towards the lake and back. "Alright, let's get to it. Theo, show me what a copper can do." Zachary adds, giving Theo a friendly pat on the shoulder as he makes his way towards the lake.
Sean Burke wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2023 9:01 am "Come on out darlin. Talk with me a bit, won't yah? I mean you no harm, I would be honored to know yer story."
Zachary hesitates upon hearing Sean speak, glancing around his surroundings for some kind of reaction or cue to indicate that the spirit might have been successfully distracted. Whether his thoughts are confirmed or no sign presents itself, Zachary holds his breath his breath and begin to swim to the bottom of the lake (Swimming). Whether or not the lake is lit up, Zachary scans the bottom for some kind of mound or trace of remains (Crime Scene Investigation)
User avatar
Consumer
Dimension Master
Posts: 1978
Joined: Sun Sep 13, 2009 2:26 pm
Location: GM/DM (The Templar, PW: Galactic Rogues, BTS:OGoA)
Contact:

Re: Of all things Strange and Wild

Post by Consumer »

A Visitor
Time and Weather wrote:Location: Glen Jean, West Virginia
Date: Tuesday, March 20th, 1925. 11:03 PM (One minute has passed)
Weather: 53 degrees Fahrenheit; Light clouds.
I.S.P. Modifier: x4
Case Notes
With the lake glowing like a sun, Theo and Zachary enter the cold water. If The duo had to breathe it would have knocked the air from their lungs. With the enchantments from the Comstock siblings, the water is relatively easy to traverse, the big problem is that even with the light the murky water is hard to see in, allowing maybe three to four feet visibility.

Meanwhile on the shore, Sean, and the COmstock siblings wait and watch. Shawn tries to coerce the spirit out to talk, and while he can sense its movement, he is very certain it is about to get very violent in moments. Andrew speaks up. ”Ooh, I don’t think she likes the boys in the water.” The archanist says as the water begins to turn and bubble like some great stew pot. .

Underwater, Zachary is sure he is getting close to the middle of the pond, and if he could guess it is maybe twenty feet below water. Zachary and Theo have lost sight of each other. Zachary feels the hair on the back of his neck stand up, as he knows he is not alone anymore.


(GM Notes: We’re moving into combat posts. For those in the water, every action spent searching goes into a pool, which when a target number is met, you’ll find what you are looking for. Any action other than swimming will not be counted.

On the surface, Sean has an idea where the entity is, so you may target it with abilities if you so choose.
~Consumer


What Are Your Intentions?

Zachary: HP: 42/42, S.D.C. 29/29, I.S.P.: 36/36
Theo: HP: 20/20, S.D.C. 48/48

Sean: HP:18/18, S.D.C.: 50/50, I.S.P.: 48/48
"All things age. All things die. In the end, our sun burns out. Our universe grows cold and perishes. But the Dark Dimension, it’s the place beyond time."
GM of The Templar, Phase World: Galactic Rogues, Beyond the Supernatural: Old Gods of Appalachia
PP Ledger
User avatar
Sean Burke
Posts: 44
Joined: Tue Jul 11, 2023 10:47 am

Re: Of all things Strange and Wild

Post by Sean Burke »

Perception: 30% vs 1d100: [14] = 14
JIC: 1d20: [11] = 11 and 1d100: [73] = 73

Combat
Current ISP: 56
Number of Attacks: 4
Initiative: 1d20+1: [12]+1 = 13

Action 1: Speak to Andrew.

Action 2: Step into the water splashing and yelling trying to draw the spirit.

Action 3: Continue into the water yelling and splashing.

Action 4: Continue into the water yelling and splashing.

Contingency Actions:
If the spirit comes within range to attack Sean will use Spirit Strike.

Action 1: Strike with Spirit Strike Energy Blast Strike: 1d20: [19] = 19 , Damage: 2d6+2: [2, 3]+2 = 7 (half of total since it is ranged attack)

Action 2: Strike with Spirit Strike Energy Blast Strike: 1d20: [5] = 5 , Damage: 2d6+2: [4, 6]+2 = 12 (half of total since it is ranged attack)

If Sean sees the rope attached to either Zach or Theo starts to move into the lake too quickly, he will run to grab hold and start pulling it back. He will forgo all further actions while he tries to pull them from the water.

Action 1: Grab Rope: 1d20: [8] = 8

ISP After Actions: If two Spirit Strikes used, 36 remaining

Post

Sean stands with his feet in the water feeling a chill not only from the water but the events about to come. He feels the spirit in the water just at the edge of his psychic reach. Dammit! Too far! He calls out to Andrew, "It's in there. Too far for me to attack it."

Sean considers his options quickly, Too cold to swim. It's not coming to my calling it. Dammit. Sean steps deeper into the water and starts splashing his arms and yelling while he moves deeper, "Come here! Come get me!"

They need more time! Sean ignores the cold of the water, now waist deep, he continues to splash and decides to change the tone of his yelling. "Come on you little witch. Come get what you deserve! Stupid girl!"

Sean keeps a keen eye out watching the rope as he moves into the water continuing to yell and moving to more profane language as time moves on.
User avatar
Zachary Splindt
Posts: 132
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2021 3:17 pm

Re: Of all things Strange and Wild

Post by Zachary Splindt »

Perception: 1d100: [8] = 8 (27%) (+10% to rolls associated with hunting/seeking supernatural prey)
JIC 1D100: 1d100: [67] = 67
JIC 1D20: 1d20: [12] = 12
Conditions: Closed to the Supernatural
Swimming: 1d100: [45] = 45 (96%)

Number of Attacks: 4
Initiative: 1d20: [1] = 1 (1D20 + 0)
ISP: 9

Action 1: Throw off coat to side in an attempt to distract the spirit.

Action 2: Attempt to swim to bottom of the lake (Swimming)

Action 3: Use Death Trance in an attempt to fool the spirit into thinking Zachary has drowned. Attempt to perceive whether the spirit is still nearby.
Death Trance (-1 ISP, lasts up to four hours per level of experience)
The Psychic can make himself appear to be dead by slowing the metabolism in a way similar to the Bio-Stasis, only in this case he is not in stasis. This is a trick to fool an enemy. The psychic is completely awake, hears everything going on around him, and can think and plot while entranced. He can also be reached via Telepathy and Empathy, and respond, but can't actually use any of his own psychic abilities unless he breaks the Death Trance. The trance can be stopped anytime the character desires.


Action 4: Wait to confirm that spirit has truly left. If the spirit is still after Zachary at this point, he will try to recover from the Death Trance and tug the rope as per the signal to Sean.

Post:
A chill gives the detective pause as he continues down the lake. Under the assumed presence of the apparition, Zachary's first instinct is to grimly reach for his pistol and destroy the hellish spirit. As he realizes a pistol will do no good underwater, much less a haunting such as this, Zachary's reach continues until he pulls off his coat and tosses it to the side to make it seem as though he had swam elsewhere.

Not the greatest distraction. I wouldn't fall for it either. Zachary grumbles to himself silently as he attempts to swim faster to reach the bottom. Only looking back once, the detective scrambles as far down as he can. Gotta find a better way to shake this damn thing off. he thinks to himself, as he considers his options.

Zachary recalls a trick that had saved him in the past. Slowing his "breathing" or whatever the detective could consider as such, Zachary gently relaxes and plays dead. While unbeknownst to the detective, his act took on a more psionic quality as his metabolism slowed. Hoping the performance was sufficient to fool the spirit into thinking he had already met his end, Zachary listens closely for any sign that would indicate otherwise.

If the spirit is still after him following all of this
Oh hell, maybe I jumped in the water too early. Zachary cursess to himself as he tries to "reawaken" from his trance. Reaching for the rope attached to his waist, Zachary gives the rope a tug in the hopes Sean isn't distracted yelling at the spirit or somesuch.
User avatar
Consumer
Dimension Master
Posts: 1978
Joined: Sun Sep 13, 2009 2:26 pm
Location: GM/DM (The Templar, PW: Galactic Rogues, BTS:OGoA)
Contact:

Re: Of all things Strange and Wild

Post by Consumer »

A Visitor
Time and Weather wrote:Location: Glen Jean, West Virginia
Date: Tuesday, March 20th, 1925.11:03 PM (15 seconds has passed)
Weather: 53 degrees Fahrenheit; Light clouds.
I.S.P. Modifier: x4
Case Notes
The next few moments are something that no rational person would believe.
Sean wrote:"It's in there. Too far for me to attack it."
Andrew shrugs. ”Either she’ll show or she won’t” he says. The water surface begins to roil as if boiling, but what is causing it is not seen. Zachary drugs off his coat, quite a feat while underwater. In hopes of distracting the entity. Sean steps a few feet into the frigid cold water, yelling and splashing. While Zachary does his best impression of a dead person, while at the bottom of the lake. Sean can see the spirit moving just below the surface of the water, howling in silence. While Zachary can still feel the malevolence nearby, even in his death trance state. For a brief moment the entity breaches the surface, allowing Sean, and the Comstocks a chance to strike. Sean’s spirit strike hits the entity while the siblings hurl some manner of magic at it. While the entity isn’t dispelled by any means, it certainly knows it is being targeted.

Theo should contact Consumer, if he plans to post the next melee round. ~Consumer

What Are Your Intentions?

Zachary: HP: 42/42, S.D.C. 29/29, I.S.P.: 35/36
Theo: HP: 20/20, S.D.C. 48/48

Sean: HP:18/18, S.D.C.: 50/50, I.S.P.: 38/48
"All things age. All things die. In the end, our sun burns out. Our universe grows cold and perishes. But the Dark Dimension, it’s the place beyond time."
GM of The Templar, Phase World: Galactic Rogues, Beyond the Supernatural: Old Gods of Appalachia
PP Ledger
User avatar
Zachary Splindt
Posts: 132
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2021 3:17 pm

Re: Of all things Strange and Wild

Post by Zachary Splindt »

Perception: 1d100: [92] = 92 (27%) (+10% to rolls associated with hunting/seeking supernatural prey)
JIC 1D100: 1d100: [11] = 11
JIC 1D20: 1d20: [13] = 13
Conditions: Closed to the Supernatural
Swimming 1: 1d100: [53] = 53 (96%)
Swimming 2 (If necessary): 1d100: [90] = 90 (96%)
Swimming 3 (If necessary): 1d100: [30] = 30 (96%)
Crime Scene Investigation 1: 1d100: [36] = 36 (70%)
Crime Scene Investigation 2: 1d100: [83] = 83 (70%)
Crime Scene Investigation 3: 1d100: [5] = 5 (70%)
Camouflage: 1d100: [78] = 78 (40%)

Number of Attacks: 4
Initiative: (1D20 + 0)
ISP: 35 (Took 9 from last post, multiplied by four, and removed one for the Death Trance)

Action 1: Reawaken from Death Trance and look around for the direction in which the spirit might have gone.

Action 2: Swim slowly along lake bottom for signs of remains (Crime Scene Investigation 1) (Swimming 1), trying to get to the center of the lake from Sean to build distance between where the spirit might have been and where Zachary is going.

Action 3: Another action spent investigating the crime scene (Crime Scene Investigation 2) (Swimming 2). If nothing is found, Zachary will take off his shoe and plant it into the ground.

Action 4: Swim to the near-edge of the lake (the side that would be to Sean's right) and resume the search (Crime Scene Investigation 3) (Swimming 3).

Action (Replace with this if the spirit seems to approach at any point): Try to bury self under dirt, hoping to hide from spirit in case it approaches (Camouflage)

Post
There is silence, and Zachary can somehow make a safe assumption that the spirit had departed. Slowly, the detective recovers from the strange sensation he had found himself in while in his trance. That sure as heck didn't feel like a normal calming down.. Confused, Zachary takes a couple of "breaths" to confirm the spell is still working. Noticing it hasn't worn off yet, the detective refocuses on the task at hand.

Hoping to create some distance between himself and the spirit, Zachary hastily tries to swim to what he believes to be the center of the lake along the bottom surface. On the way, Zachary attempts to search the murky water for any sign of the potential remains. Damned shame we didn't bring a shovel with us the detective grumbles to himself as he attempts to make his way to the other side of the lake.

Having hopefully made a sufficient distance between himself and the apparition, Zachary takes a moment to examine his general surroundings for signs of the remains. Whether the area turns up anything or not, Zachary reaches for one of his stakes. Unfortunately, the detective had left his coat with the stakes elsewhere in the lake. Silently cursing to himself for his folly, Zachary pulled off one of his shoes and drove it into the ground. That oughta help us keep track of things Zachary thought to himself as he looked around for the next area to search. Hoping not to pull the entirety of the rope into the lake, Zachary prepares to swim to his right and resume his search from there. (OOC: hard to explain, but it would be the "right" side of the lake from Sean's perspective)

Bet my coat didn't drift too far now, could it? Zachary considers to himself as he tries to swim closer to the edge of the lake, I'll check out this part first, then go looking for it. Hope Theo's having better luck. Like before, Zachary scans the lake floor along the bottom in an attempt to find the remains.

(If the spirit is after Zachary and Zachary notices)
Surprised at the haunting's attention, Zachary burrows beneath the lake dirt in an attempt to cover himself up. He recalls this strategy from an earlier ghost hunt, in which he had to chase a small yet very quick spirit through the woods and buried itself in the ground. Zachary rolls his eyes How I was supposed to know it was just a rabbit going back to its burrow? he grumbles to himself as he waits for the spirit's reaction. Despite the momentary embarrassment at the memory, Zachary's spirits are slightly lifted given the tense situation.
Last edited by Zachary Splindt on Mon Oct 30, 2023 4:31 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Locked

Return to “Horror from the Dark”